PDA

View Full Version : Michael Bay's career by the numbers

JediTricks
06-26-2009, 02:24 PM
Not counting commercials or music videos:

Bad Boys - 1995 - $23 mil budget - $66 mil gross (US), $75 mil gross (foreign) - 6.5 IMDB rating - 42% on the tomatometer, 14% on the top critics tomatometer

The Rock - 1996 - $75 mil budget - $134 mil gross (US), $201 mil gross (foreign) - 7.2 IMDB rating - 66% on the tomatometer, 57% on the top critics tomatometer (the only Bay film rated "fresh" rather than "rotten" on the site)

Armageddon - 1998 - $140 mil budget - $202 mil gross (US), $352 mil gross (foreign) - 6.0 IMDB rating - 40% on the tomatometer, 18% on the top critics tomatometer

Pearl Harbor - 2001 - $132 mil budget - $199 mil gross (US), $251 mil gross (foreign) - 5.4 IMDB rating - 25% on the tomatometer, 23% on the top critics tomatometer

Bad Boys II - 2003 - $130 mil budget - $139 mil gross (US), $135 mil gross (foreign) - 6.2 IMDB rating - 23% on the tomatometer, 17% on the top critics tomatometer

The Island - 2005 - $126 mil budget - $36 mil gross (US), $127 mil gross (foreign) - 6.9 IMDB rating - 40% on the tomatometer, 37% on the top critics tomatometer

Transformers - 2007 - $150 mil budget - $319 mil gross (US), $389 mil gross (foreign) - 7.4 IMDB rating - 57% on the tomatometer, 68% on the top critics tomatometer

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - 2009 (in current release) - $200+ mil budget - $61 mil gross in 2 days (US), $59 mil gross in 6 days (foreign) - 6.9 IMDB rating - 21% on the tomatometer, 19% on the top critics tomatometer

The tomatometer is a ratings system at RottenTomatoes.com using "rotten" or "fresh" based on the percentage of positive opinions and compiling top critics' opinions and ratings from print, tv, and the internet.

LTBasker
06-26-2009, 02:38 PM
Glad to see The Rock stands somewhat decently over the rest, I feel it's his best movie.

Droid
06-26-2009, 02:50 PM
The Rock is the only Michael Bay movie I have ever seen! I avoided most of the others. I think the Rock was really enjoyable.

Slicker
06-26-2009, 02:58 PM
I didn't mind the 2 Bad Boys movies personally. Pearl Harbor has it's moments as well (the attack is about it and even that has GROSS inaccuracies).

I also like Transformers. Seriously.

pbarnard
06-26-2009, 03:49 PM
So there's a lot of idiots out there who continue to believe the paid advertisements of entertainment weekly, people magazine, tv guide etc that say watch this guys movie and how entertaining it wil be.

And the number tragically is growing?

JediTricks
06-26-2009, 05:27 PM
Let's take a look at ticket sale estimates for Bay's films with ticket price averages per year:
'95 - $4.35
'96 - $4.42
'98 - $4.69
'01 - $5.66
'03 - $6.03
'05 - $6.41
'07 - $6.88
'09 - $7.18

Bad Boys - 1995 - 15.17 mil tickets (US), 17.24 mil tickets (foreign)

The Rock - 1996 - 30.31 mil tickets (US), 45.48 mil tickets (foreign)

Armageddon - 1998 - 43.07 mil tickets (US), 75.05 mil tickets (foreign)

Pearl Harbor - 2001 - 35.16 mil tickets (US), 44.35 mil tickets (foreign)

Bad Boys II - 2003 - 23.05 mil tickets (US), 22.39 mil tickets (foreign)

The Island - 2005 - 5.62 mil tickets (US), 19.81 mil tickets (foreign)

Transformers - 2007 - 46.37 mil tickets (US), 56.54 mil tickets (foreign)

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - 2009 (in current release) - 8.5 mil tickets in 2 days (US), 8.22 mil tickets in 6 days (foreign)

I think we have to start blaming foreigners more often. ;) They're also the reason Paris Hilton was a success, I'd definitely put Bay in that company.

By the way, in the top 200 movies by ticket sales list, Transformers would be #102, Armageddon would be #126.
Gone with the Wind is #1 with 202.04 mil,
Star Wars is #2 with 178.11 mil,
Titanic #6 @ 128.35,
Jaws #7 @ 128.08,
Snow White #10 @ 109,
ESB #12 @ 98.18,
ROTJ #14 @ 94.05,
Raiders #16 @ 88.14,
Jurassic Park #17 @ 86.2,
TPM # 19 @ 84.83,
Godfather #21 @ 78.92,
The Dark Knight #27 @ 74.28 (the highest recent movie and the only film from last year on the top 100),
ROTS #57 @ 59.32,
AOTC #83 @ 53.53.
http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm?adjust_yr=1&p=.htm

The Rock is the only Bay film I own, it was super cheap and I was bored, I bought it soon after it came out on VHS from Columbia House for a penny. :p It was alright, far better than his other films.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-26-2009, 06:19 PM
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - 2009 (in current release) - 8.5 tickets in 2 days (US), 8.22 mil tickets in 6 days (foreign)So, who were the other 6 1/2 people who bought tickets besides me? :p I guess all the others I saw in the theater I went to bought tickets to Up, then snuck into TF2.

These are cool stats, JT. I almost feel sorry to have messed with ya, then. Almost. When you brag about having the most posts, the rabble and peons below will snap back! :pleased:

JediTricks
06-27-2009, 01:43 AM
Well, as long as it's only you rabble and peons doing it...

I'll give Bay one thing, the man definitely knows how to get people to go see movies they then don't like that much.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-27-2009, 08:19 AM
I'll give Bay one thing, the man definitely knows how to get people to go see movies they then don't like that much.That's called niche marketing. :D

JediTricks
06-27-2009, 02:28 PM
I thought it was called market manipulation and brainwashing. ;)

LTBasker
06-27-2009, 02:59 PM
I wouldn't call it brainwashing (at least not entirely). Personally, I enjoy Michael Bay films for times when I'm in the mood to not pay much attention and just be pandered to with crazy action and one-liners. Although Bad Boys II and Pearl Harbor I can't even watch like that, they cross my line from fun-ridiculous to plain stupid-ridiculous.

JediTricks
06-27-2009, 03:16 PM
I wouldn't call it brainwashing (at least not entirely). Personally, I enjoy Michael Bay films for times when I'm in the mood to not pay much attention and just be pandered to with crazy action and one-liners. Although Bad Boys II and Pearl Harbor I can't even watch like that, they cross my line from fun-ridiculous to plain stupid-ridiculous.
But not Armageddon?

LTBasker
06-27-2009, 03:24 PM
The insane cameos keeps it in the realm of fun-ridiculous for me. :nerv:

Bit of pointless trivia, did you know the guy that designed the vehicles for Armageddon was also resposible for the Batmobiles in Batman Forever and Batman & Robin?

Tycho
06-28-2009, 05:00 AM
Let me see: the year was 1985. I'd been into Transformers for about a year already now and had determined that they were cooler than Go-Bots. I was racing home from school to watch the cartoon show, too.

I dreamt of there being a live-action movie and thought they could do it with stop-motion like the AT-AT's were done in ESB.

I wanted there to be a Transformers movie no matter what. At the very least I wanted 2 hours of realistically rendered (physically modeled) robots shooting each other and beating each other up, and chasing into cars and chasing each other while planes dive-bombed them.

Michael Bay came along and delivered that: just what I'd always wanted!

And I'd make allowances for the movie to take time out in order to have some semblance of a plot - but it wasn't necessary.

In 2007 and now in 2009, Michael Bay has delivered 2 hours of realistically rendered (physically modeled) robots shooting each other and beating each other up, and chasing into cars and chasing each other while planes dive-bombed them.

I'll probably spend like $150 to see this happen over and over again in the theater like 15 times.

Now I have never seen:

Bad Boys
The Rock
Armageddon
Bad Boys II
The Island

I have some interest in The Island, but I'm not too keen on any of these.

I saw and own Pearl Harbor and like the movie very much. The attack angers me and makes me want to kill members of the Japanese military. But I laugh at the Ben Affleck and Josh Hartnet scenes of each of them trying to get with Kate Beckinsale because it reminds me of myself quite frankly. I could really enjoy my life if all I had to do was kill Japanses and sleep with Kate Beckinsale, and throw in the occasional bar fight and call it an examination of the life of a patriot. I'll bring the flag and the condoms and would also love to set off some of the explosions.

And then I'm entertained. Sure Rambo IV had a deeper meaning to it, but the sex scenes in Top Gun were better.

As for the Transformers movies, you already know how much I love these, and now have even more nostalgic ponderings of mine to correlate with them.

Turbowars
06-28-2009, 10:27 AM
I thought the Island was very good, but I like futuristic flicks like that. Scarlett Johansson (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0424060/) is fine as hell and Ewen is one of my favorite actors.

I liked all of Bays film but PH. They are what they are.

JediTricks
06-28-2009, 03:29 PM
IQ points lost from viewing the following Michael Bay films:

Bad Boys - 12
The Rock - 6
Armageddon - 19
Pearl Harbor - 18
Bad Boys II - 22 (because it has a "2" in the title, so you should have known better!)
The Island - ?? (not enough people saw this film to gather a proper amount of sample data)
Transformers - 20
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - 84* (based on early testing results)

Tycho
06-28-2009, 04:52 PM
IQ points lost from viewing the following JediTricks films:

None. Because there are no JediTricks' films.

So blame Michael Bay for trying, why don't you?

At least get a camcorder and film a frog blowing up because of a cherry bomb and put it on a pay-per-view-website so then we can judge your life's work, too!

[For a sequel, how about a seagull and Alkaseltzer?]

New Movies By JediTricks (with screenplays written by Tycho):

The Lillypopper
Air Raid

LTBasker
06-28-2009, 05:25 PM
This thread needs more explosions and rotating cameras.

Tycho
06-28-2009, 08:11 PM
LOL, Basker!

JediTricks
06-29-2009, 04:19 PM
IQ points lost from viewing the following JediTricks films:

None. Because there are no JediTricks' films.Taking this all a bit personally, huh? Yeah, that's healthy. But at least you can't say I've made a string of crappy movies that have drastically lowered the bar for cinema while causing audiences to stop thinking entirely, unlike your idol there.

BTW, congratulations Tycho, you're the one billionth person on the internet to use the cliche'd rebuttal of "let's see you do better!!!" I guess you did learn something on the schoolyard in 3rd grade after all.

One doesn't know how to grow wheat to know when a pizza tastes bad. Or in Bay's case, one doesn't need to know how to pilot an airplane to know what a jet crash is.

So blame Michael Bay for trying, why don't you?"Do, or do not, there is no 'try'." If he hasn't succeeded in telling this movie yet (and from him they're all the same one), then he's failed. But Michael Bay is only out to make money exploiting the cinema, not tell a story, not even to entertain except in how he can exploit that for his gains, he's out to sucker tons of people into theaters so that he'll get more product placement deals and bigger studio paychecks. He never once defended "The Island" when it was tanking for being a good movie or being the story he wanted to tell, he merely blamed the studio for not doing enough marketing and moved on. There's a reason his background is in making commercials and big corporate labels' music videos, he knows how to exploit cinematic cliches to maximum effect without caring whatsoever about what they mean. He's taking a job, that's all it is to him. He's the essence of what's wrong with big studio Hollywood today. So yeah, I'm going to blame him for "trying", he certainly is.

This thread needs more explosions and rotating cameras.And sunsets, and slow-motion, and overreaching scores, and bimbo women who don't serve the story, and empty heroes, and product placement.

pbarnard
06-29-2009, 04:26 PM
And sunsets, and slow-motion, and overreaching scores, and bimbo women who don't serve the story, and empty heroes, and product placement.

Just as long as it's on schedule and budget!