PDA

View Full Version : I Just Bought My First Guitar and Amp Today!

Tycho
07-07-2009, 03:01 AM
Now I'm really going to rock! Yeah, my music teacher went with me to Guitar Center to look at Fenders. What we wanted they didn't have in stock, but they have a house brand they're pushing, Laguna, which my coach and I both played and felt right. I'm allowed to return it for the Fender I was looking at before if for any reason I'm not satisfied with the Laguna, but it seems like a really good guitar. I got a 15 watt amp with it, cord, strap, extra strings, and a portable amp that I can use with batteries if I want to practice out by the pool or something.

I'm going to start learning Queensryche's chords tomorrow.

I Am I, baby! Heading for Promised Land.

mabudonicus
07-07-2009, 10:54 AM
Ahhh, always awesome when you become truly electric eh??

Totally unfamiliar with the Laguna brand (most of my friends play semi-vintage axes, the one I play is almost as old as me) but if a guitar teacher says it's good it should be fine- the trade-back feature is a total bonus too.

I hope to see some youtube videos of you rockin out once you're comfortable enough with your technique to play for audiences!!

What brand of amp did you get??

Any pedals or such yet, either on your wish list or otherwise future possibility-wise?
:beard: Iso&Baws&topes

With the right amp you don't really need pedals tho to play QueensRyche stuff I'd think you might need a couple FX

Tycho
07-07-2009, 12:49 PM
I hope to see some youtube videos of you rockin out once you're comfortable enough with your technique to play for audiences!!

Yeah, but I'll need plastic surgery first, because if I go on YouTube now, I'll appear like a dork even before I strum my first chord. Then again, I could wear my pirate disguise. :Pirate:

What brand of amp did you get??

Line 6, Spider III 15 - that's what it says on the box. It has a lot of pre-set effects for phaser (that sounds cool!), flange, echo, reverb, and you can play the distortion for metal, clean, and other settings I probably won't use right now. Actually the guitar sounds really good just playing it clean.

I'm figuring out Metallica's "Nothing Else Matters" and I want to learn Queensryche of course (Eyes of a Stranger and The Hands are on the top of my list). Fade to Black is also essential Metallica for a beginner to know.

Any pedals or such yet, either on your wish list or otherwise future possibility-wise?

Yeah, I think so. I looked at them with my guitar coach, but he said I won't need them yet. He prefers separate pedals, too - not the factory set boxes with 3-6 switches on them. He plays professionally and says he likes to match that stuff on his own and he'll teach me how. He's met Queensryche and likes them, too. He's played with guys that backed up Don Dokken.

I was with Michelle (my friend and nurse who I was in the Star Wars Insider with) when we met him when we were actually buying a few extra copies of that magazine (Star Wars). George (and no, not George Lynch) actually loves Star Wars and John Williams' music. He took me with him and his girlfriend to watch a John Williams concert in San Diego last night. I will soon learn how to play Darth Vader's theme on the electric guitar. (I saw Metallica do this - the whole band) live in a concert here (Re-Load Tour) a few years ago. Of course it sounds like the grunge version of Mecco (the Star Wars disco stuff). But you put Vader's tune to drums, and you can't avoid that, so "dance like an Ewok!"

With the right amp you don't really need pedals tho to play QueensRyche stuff I'd think you might need a couple FX.

Yup. My amp has a lot of buttons and switches on it. I don't know what all of them do yet, but each has a feature with which I can disturb my neighbors! :D

(I'm very respectful and turn it way down or don't even use the amp late at night - but I'm sure they can still here me playing Nintendo baseball, though).

LTBasker
07-07-2009, 01:13 PM
Cool, have fun getting your rock on! Personally I'd go with learning Unforgiven, but Nothing Else Matters is good stuff too.

Yeah, but I'll need plastic surgery first, because if I go on YouTube now, I'll appear like a dork even before I strum my first chord. Then again, I could wear my pirate disguise. :Pirate:

It's youtube not beautube, you're supposed to look like a dork! :p

JimJamBonds
07-07-2009, 06:10 PM
Does your amp go up to 11?

Tycho
07-07-2009, 06:24 PM
Does your amp go up to 11?

Yes. That's the "Irritate Neighbors Setting." But seriously, I am answering "yes." I think it goes up 1 higher, actually.

I'm new to all this. So what does that mean?

Blue2th
07-07-2009, 10:25 PM
That's good news Tycho! Lots of fun those guiters. :thumbsup:

figrin bran
07-07-2009, 10:54 PM
Awesome news Tycho!

Tycho
07-08-2009, 01:01 AM
I learned to play (the basic riffs not the complete songs)

Black Sabbath - Iron Man

and

Queensryche - Silent Lucidity

My coach showed me those would be easy for me to practice with, and then build upon, as I'd never picked up a guitar before - ever!

I play pretty darn slow, but it's the first time.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-08-2009, 02:20 AM
Nice going! I dink around with a classical guitar every now and then. If you want to take the easy way out and look up the chords or tabs online (like I do), then I suggest ultimate-guitar.com. Sometimes they're off, but other users rate the transcriptions, so you can kind of see what's accurate and what's not.

bobafrett
07-08-2009, 08:16 AM
Okay, so when you go on tour, do I get to be your roadie?

I wish I could learn the guitar, but I really need to focus on what each of my arms is doing, plus I have A.D.D. I think and I would get distracted the first time a girl in the crowd might hike her shirt up, and I would be lost.

Blue2th
07-08-2009, 09:13 AM
After you've learned a whole nights worth of songs, get an acoustic and have a sing along on the beach by a bonfire. It's California ya know, beach blanket bingo bikinis and all. :lipsrsealed:

Tycho
07-08-2009, 01:53 PM
My electric is loud and in-tune, sounding great WITHOUT an amp, as it wound up in bed beside me last night as I fell asleep practicing Iron Man.

Thing is, even though it's a closed-body, it sounds pretty much like a classical guitar when it's not plugged in. That's awesome if you ask me. Besides, I'm liking learning without effects or distortion on the notes right now just to make sure I'm getting them right.

YouTube has great instructional videos, sometimes with the actual scribed notes, to teach you how to play songs.

I'm using it for Queensryche's Silent Lucidity, per my coach's instruction.

Blue2th
07-08-2009, 02:10 PM
I do that a lot myself, plus it's just loud enough for you to hear.

Silent Lucidity is a great song. I like the live MTV version a lot.
That song has special meaning for me. I once had very vivid dream where I was playing electric guitar in an empty room, with a lightning storm going on outside, the power went out, I look outside and my long passed away father is putting two huge live wires together to reconnect the electricity. Funny how he just put the two spitting cables together like some super hero.

Anyways, maybe I have the interpretation of the song wrong, but I thought it had something to do with people you loved that have passed away revisiting you in your dreams, as well as dream control.

Too bad my fuddy-duddy whiny singer hates that song.

pbarnard
07-08-2009, 03:13 PM
:twisted:Go Hendrix or Townsend on it.:smoker:

Tycho
07-08-2009, 03:21 PM
My friend said I play "Iron Man" like "Rain Man." (movie reference there) ;)

Of course this is only the 2nd day I've owned a guitar, too.

JetsAndHeels
07-08-2009, 03:24 PM
You should learn "Johnny Be Good" so you can recreate the scene from Back to the Future.

Blue2th
07-08-2009, 04:27 PM
:twisted:Go Hendrix or Townsend on it.:smoker:
I've got a $1,200 Guild I want to do that to. But I want to wait till I can get it in front of the largest audience possible, write GUILD SUCKS! in big letters on it, then smash it on stage, broadcast it on youtube.
That'll teach them not to cover the things wrong with it on warranty.

BTW: never buy a Guild.

Tycho
07-09-2009, 01:19 AM
I can now play the first riffs of Iron Man competantly. My neighbors think so also.

Now (for their sake) I am learning to play it quietly. :D

Mad Slanted Powers
07-09-2009, 07:23 PM
I got a guitar back in 1997, but never really learned to play. I think I needed to have it adjusted. It just got harder to make clear notes at times. Don't press down hard enough and the string buzzes. Press down as hard as I can and it still buzzes. I have relatively narrow fingers, yet it always seems like I can never get them in a position so that they aren't muting a string they shouldn't be. Maybe if I can take my time to do it, but playing a song and moving quickly from chord to chord seems like it would be impossible to master. The strings probably need replacing, too. I also have a bass, but I think that the low string might need some adjustment as well. One of these days, I would like to take them into a guitar shop and get them properly adjusted and maybe take some lessons.

JimJamBonds
07-09-2009, 11:02 PM
Yes. That's the "Irritate Neighbors Setting." But seriously, I am answering "yes." I think it goes up 1 higher, actually.

I'm new to all this. So what does that mean?

Ever see This Is Spinal Tap?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeOXsA8sp_E

Tycho
07-12-2009, 02:38 AM
My music teacher said I made great progress today:

On Ozzy Osbourne (Randy Rhodes') Crazy Train (somehow an appropriate song for Tycho). It's an awesome sound but I was surprised how easy the infamous riff is to learn. I can play that one rather fast, too.

OK, so my other (partial) songs are:

Black Sabbath Iron Man
Queensryche Silent Lucidity
Metallica Nothing Else Matters
Ozzy Osbourne Crazy Train

My amp kicks butt on Crazy Train! I'm impressed with the sound I can get out of my guitar and amp. I just practiced and then I looked around my home to see who else could have been playing because that certainly didn't sound like ME? But I guess it was.

Oh, notice I play Iron Man now, instead of Retarded Man. But I still no the chords to the latter as I can play it any time I get tired. ;)

sith_killer_99
07-12-2009, 10:40 AM

Seriously, musicians are some of the most non-plastic surgery having people on the planet. Trust me, all you need is the right wardrobe. Julia Roberts married Lyle Lovett for crying out loud.:laugh:

JimJamBonds
07-12-2009, 12:07 PM
Julia Roberts married Lyle Lovett for crying out loud.:laugh:

She also divorced him!

Mad Slanted Powers
07-12-2009, 01:00 PM
Remember the Eddie Murphy routine about how singers get all the ladies? "Mick Jagger is an ugly motherf*****r."

sith_killer_99
07-12-2009, 02:08 PM
She also divorced him!

In Hollywood everyone gets divorced (almost).:rolleyes:

Bottom line, he was nailing that sit.:thumbsup:

JimJamBonds
07-13-2009, 11:52 PM
Bottom line, he was nailing that sit.:thumbsup:

True dat SK.

Tycho
07-14-2009, 12:14 AM
I'm working on Nickelback, "Saving Me." That's a great song. I love the guitar chords on that one too.

Also have tableture for Queensryche's "Eyes of a Stranger" and "The Hands," from Operation: Mindcrime, parts 1 & 2 respectively.

JEDIpartner
07-14-2009, 09:01 AM
Hey there, Brother Ty! Got your message. :thumbsup: Keep at it!! Actually, I made an attempt at guitar once, but my fingers are a bit short. Sad. I play piano, actually... but the fingers are a little short for that as well. Can quite navigate those octaves, so I do what I can to make it sound as good as possible.

Tycho
07-16-2009, 06:42 AM
OK, it's past 3 am but I'm playing really good Black Sabbath and Ozzy (Rhodes - Crazy Train) now!

I want to crank my amp but like I said, it's 3am.

I have a new friend Ashley and she loves Metallica and Stevie Ray Vaughn and we play well together. So now I have a practice partner. She's also starting to work with my music teacher and comes over to play guitar with me.

Wow. Music opens up a whole new door in your life - and not just by being a Queensryche fan - though I'm learning to play their stuff too - especially from Operation Mindcrime I & II.

But Ashley and I play Metallica best together. We've almost got down "Nothing Else Matters" - without the guitar solo, though she's more advanced than I am and will probably tackle that soon.

Blue2th
07-16-2009, 09:54 AM
"For whom the Bell Tolls" is my favorite Metallica.

Just picked up "Burden in my Hand" by Soundgarden.
Couldn't figure it out too well till I went on Youtube and watched Chris Cornell's fret board and found out it was an open C tuning.

It's good you got a partner to jamb with.
We always used to say: "I jamb therefore I am"

Tycho
07-16-2009, 12:52 PM
It's good you got a partner to jamb with.
We always used to say: "I jamb therefore I am"

Better yet, she's like around 20 years old, a little petite blonde, and totally cute. I love the way she smiles at me and encourages me, too. She's been playing about 6 months and her skills are apparent.

I love her coming over here to play. And her enthusiasm matches my own.

Blue2th
07-16-2009, 04:49 PM
Ro Ro Raggy :Ponder:

sith_killer_99
07-16-2009, 08:33 PM
Better yet, she's like around 20 years old, a little petite blonde, and totally cute. I love the way she smiles at me and encourages me, too. She's been playing about 6 months and her skills are apparent.

I love her coming over here to play. And her enthusiasm matches my own.

Pimp!:thumbsup:;):D

El Chuxter
07-20-2009, 10:03 PM
Now that you've wet your feet, so to speak, with Metallica and Queensryche, howsabout going for broke and learning some Billy Ocean. The women will swoon all around you, because he is TEH AWESOMES!!!

TeeEye7
07-21-2009, 02:42 AM
Here's a video of an unsuspecting Tycho secretly being taped during one of his practice sessions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZM0EGBdHOw&feature=fvw

Tycho
07-21-2009, 12:19 PM
Haha. If that guy was really playing (the notes were right), then he is really good. That looks similar to my guitar, but I like my own better. And of course the dude looks nothing like me but reminds me of the guy who played Egon in Ghostbusters.

But I wish I could jam like that. However, I can now play the main riff to Crazy Train and I'm getting faster every day!

Mad Slanted Powers
07-21-2009, 05:00 PM
Haha. If that guy was really playing (the notes were right), then he is really good. That looks similar to my guitar, but I like my own better. And of course the dude looks nothing like me but reminds me of the guy who played Egon in Ghostbusters.Actually, I thought he looked more like Rick Moranis.

mabudonicus
07-21-2009, 05:31 PM
How bout this wacky South Korean kid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFqTd-CEjHM&feature=channel_page

Not metal, and certainly not traditional guitar playing, but if that kid doesn't end up piloting some kind of giant robot I'd be surprised, the coordination is just ridiculous (and I admit he's not 100% perfect but he IS playing 2 guitars)

Glad to know you are enjoying your new skillz Tycho!!

bobafrett
07-22-2009, 08:43 AM
How bout this wacky South Korean kid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFqTd-CEjHM&feature=channel_page

Not metal, and certainly not traditional guitar playing, but if that kid doesn't end up piloting some kind of giant robot I'd be surprised, the coordination is just ridiculous (and I admit he's not 100% perfect but he IS playing 2 guitars)

Glad to know you are enjoying your new skillz Tycho!!

That was mighty! That dude (or is it a dudess?) has more talent in his/her right pinky then I have in my old body.

mabudonicus
07-22-2009, 09:32 AM
He's a little dude- I think he was maybe 15 when that was done, he's older now (and I think still serving his mandatory 2-year stint in the army) Some of his interpretations of classical tunes are also real good, as is his rendition of "Lady Madonna"
:beard: Iso&Baws
If he keeps it up he'll be a monster, some of the moves he pulls off are almost obscene- Tycho must get practicing!!