PDA

View Full Version : GI Joe Movie Toys

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

DarkArtist
10-08-2009, 08:15 AM
well Wave 5 has been spotted in K-Marts so keep your eyes open. I so want the City Strike / Resolute Snake Eyes, the rest is an easy pass for me

Ji'dai
10-09-2009, 10:31 PM
I found the Doctor with the white lab coat at WM today, my first ROC purchase. Also saw Paris Snake Eyes with the gray wolf.

One of the WM's here set aside space in the DVD aisle for toy cartoons (Voltron, Transformers, GI Joe, etc) and put ROC figures on pegs below the DVDs and role play toys on the bottom shelf. Is the movie close to being released on DVD? The line is just not moving here at all. I see pegs and end caps full of this stuff every time I go to the store.

darthbooger
10-09-2009, 11:52 PM
I also bought the black coat Doctor and he is the only figure in the line that actually had a decent "huge" weapon that came with it, even though I have no use for a giant claw thingy it's still cool. I do think that the entire line for the most part is going to tank. My kids keep asking when they are going to make GI Joes that come with cooler weapons and less cheesy outfits. At least ROC didnt suffer from robot chicken headsculpts like last years Indiana Jones, what a waste of a good line that was !!! :whip:

El Chuxter
10-10-2009, 12:59 AM
A lot of local Targets have marked 'em down to $5.99. Now, if they had anything beyond Wave 1, that might mean something....

RooJay
10-10-2009, 04:05 AM
My kids keep asking when they are going to make GI Joes that come with cooler weapons and less cheesy outfits.

Maybe your kids could write some letters to Hasbro for us - they seem to think that kids love that stuff for some reason! I remember hating that kind of thing even as a kid myself, along with every other kid I knew...

El Chuxter
10-10-2009, 07:20 AM
They "learn" this crud doing market research. Thing is, kids are easily pressured to tell the researchers what they think they want to hear. Also, if you've ever participated in any marketing research, the third parties who conduct it are either great or absolute morons, and, sadly, the great ones are a minority.

Ji'dai
10-10-2009, 07:38 AM
I also bought the black coat Doctor and he is the only figure in the line that actually had a decent "huge" weapon that came with it, even though I have no use for a giant claw thingy it's still cool. I've seen the black coat version many times, but the one I got is the harder to find variant with the white lab coat. I think it looks a lot better.

I do think that the entire line for the most part is going to tank. My kids keep asking when they are going to make GI Joes that come with cooler weapons and less cheesy outfits. During the 25th Ann. line I complained that the Joes & Cobra looked too village people and wanted something more realistic. Now that I've seen the ROC line with practically everyone in dark colored or black body armor I think the toys are boring! Now I pine for the classic look of the vintage toys. Seems like every figure in this new line is coming up Snake-Eyes.

darthbooger
10-10-2009, 04:32 PM
When I said "cheesy outfits" I was mistaken, what they meant was that they wanted more realistic outfits for the good guys like digi-camo and bad guys that look like real world bad guys. I know that doing so would do away with the whole Joe vs Cobra storyline and I dont want that to happen, but as far as my kids are concerned, (and their friends too) they want soldiers they see on TV (blame FOX NEWS) and not the GI Joe from the 80s. :upset:

pbarnard
10-12-2009, 11:40 AM
Just some rumor mongoring...Next fall's Internet exclusives might be GI Joe Resolute. All the preproduction/pirated figures that are floating around right now will probably be made into plastic in the fall of 2010 in 1 Joe and 1 Cobra 7-pack.

http://generalsjoes.com/2009/10/09/some-info-revealed-on-the-upcoming-resolute-boxed-sets/comment-page-1/#comment-15277

RooJay
10-13-2009, 02:58 AM
They "learn" this crud doing market research. Thing is, kids are easily pressured to tell the researchers what they think they want to hear. Also, if you've ever participated in any marketing research, the third parties who conduct it are either great or absolute morons, and, sadly, the great ones are a minority.

They also tend only to ask kids what they think of the toys that have already been produced, not what toys they'd rather have. Kids, for their part, tend to only comment about all the neat toys they've just been allowed to play with for free, and not go out of their way to criticise.

DarkArtist
10-23-2009, 03:32 PM
this was posted on Hisstank.com... things might start to look glum for the Rise of Cobra merchandise....

HISS Tank member Nordland has passed along some rather unsettling news from Hasbro UK about the upcoming, or rather, in limbo, G.I. Joe Pursuit of Cobra line in the UK:

Thank you for your email.
I can confirm that the Rise of the Cobra toy line was released earlier this year, alongside a large scale marketing campaign. Unfortunately though, consumer demand has not been as anticipated, which obviously impacts retail demand too. As a result, retailers haven't moved through the waves on the range as we would have liked. With regards to the Pursuit of the Cobra toy line, we are yet to confirm if this range will be available in the UK. Please contact us again in February/March when we receive on new range information for 2010.
With reference to the comments you made with regards to the item, these have been noted and will be forwarded to our Marketing Department. We would like to thank you once again for taking the time to write to us as we welcome our customers' comments and suggestions, as they are invaluable for future improvements.

May we thank you for contacting Hasbro and if we can be of any further assistance, either now or in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Kind Regards,

ASK HASBRO
Hasbro UK Ltd
00800 22427276

Keep those fingers crossed 'Tankers! The Pursuit of Cobra impressed many collectors when unveiled at this year's JoeCon, to some(or maybe most), this line is more exciting than the current Rise of Cobra line. The big question is, will we see it? and again somewhat confirmation from the G.I. Joe Collector's Club... sounds like the crazy pursuit that followed with the last wave of 25th Anniversary vehicles :

Get ready for a double whammy 'Tankers, if the Pursuit of Cobra In Jeopordy for UK story hasn't rattled your nerves, try this next bit of info on for size. HISS Tank member Phweep has passed along info that the G.I. Joe Collector's Club has been sending out emails to members stating that the G.I. Joe Rise of Cobra wave 3 alpha vehicles have been cancelled by Hasbro until further notice. Hasbro says this wave may see the light of day next year. To further refresh your memories, the vehicles from wave 3 include:
Lava Pod with Volcano Viper
Tiger Claw with Leatherneck
Polar SHARC with Ice Storm
Desert Rockslide with Dusty
Now some 'Tankers have gotten their hands on these items within the past few months, and boxed samples can be currently found on auction sites. How many of the wave 3 vehicles made it out of the factories prior to cancellation? That's the biggest question regarding this wave at the moment.

Another thing to ponder, is if more items could be cancelled. Of all the vehicles in the line, the alpha vehicles seem to be ones that move the least. This is something witnessed all across the board. The bravo vehicles have tended to sell better, yet have they sold well enough so that upcoming bravo vehicles will not share the same fate as the wave 3 alpha vehicles? Of all the vehicles in the line, the Wolf Hound AKA Snow Cat and Cobra Fury AKA Cobra Rage are anticipated the most.

Site sponsor BigBadToyStore does have preorders open for the wave 3 alpha vehicles; could ordering the vehicles online be one of the only routes to take until next year?

JEDIpartner
10-23-2009, 04:35 PM
I pretty much predicted this would almost go the way of the Indy Jones figures. :(

pbarnard
10-23-2009, 04:45 PM
That's just the vehicles. Which isn't all that suprising. GI Joe expanded too much. It needs to contract. It can sustain the 25th level of stuff being released, but it can't be Star Wars.

JEDIpartner
10-23-2009, 04:49 PM
I guess they "needed" to do the movie-styled figures in order to reboot the line, but where do they go from here now that the movie really didn't linger in the hearts of the fans? Will they revert back to the more animated styled designs or will they continue to modify the more realistic designs to move away from actor specific likenesses?

El Chuxter
10-23-2009, 05:11 PM
I hope and pray they go back to the 25th Anniversary style after the movie and "Pursuit of Cobra" dies.

RooJay
10-24-2009, 03:03 AM
My guess is that if things really are as bad as this makes it sound (I remain unconvinced) that the GI Joe line overall would be done for, at least for the time being. Retailers simply will not recognize or acknowledge the difference between the GI Joe movie toy line and a GI Joe non-movie toy line. It's all the same to them, and it'll look like GI Joe as a concept is dead as far as consumers are concerned. If this were the case, I would find it doubtful that we'd see GI Joe in this kind of product expression again any time soon.
Sucks that a lot of people couldn't see past that horrible movie, and recognize the incredible toys on their own merit. I still have yet to see that mess, and I've been in love with the toys pretty much since the first prototypes were revealed.

JetsAndHeels
10-24-2009, 04:04 PM
I am not shocked at all. My local stores have tons of these figures rotting on the pegs, and the vehicles just collect dust as well.

At this point the only 2 figures from the movie I still want are the Doctor and the final battle Storm Shadow, or whatever he is called.

El Chuxter
10-24-2009, 06:44 PM
With every day that goes by, and every hunting trip where I see billions of first-day figures and almost as many wave 1 mini-vehicles, my concern mounts over ever getting the few figures I want. I'm thinking there might be a better chance of a Beatles reunion than of me ever getting Night Adder or that black SNAKE Armor.

JetsAndHeels
10-24-2009, 11:27 PM
I found the Arctic assault Storm Shadow earlier tonight. All I need now is the Doctor, and I am all done.

Its funny how one Walmart in town can have newer assortments, while the other one, about 10 minutes away, has nothing more than the first day figures.

Phantom-like Menace
10-27-2009, 12:47 AM
I hope and pray they go back to the 25th Anniversary style after the movie and "Pursuit of Cobra" dies.

Seconded. I was horribly digging the 25th figures, and I'm never going to get enough of the Assault on Cobra Island Cobra figures. A chance to get an entire squad of classic Alley Vipers was one of the reasons I was excited about the return of classic G.I. Joe.

El Chuxter
10-27-2009, 01:39 AM
They would've been smart to not include Mindbender. An exclusive set of all army builders, with one guy who's very much not an army builder is not cool. If the ROC line isn't canned, there's supposed to be an Alley Viper coming out in a gray color scheme as a pilot for some sort of tank.

pbarnard
10-27-2009, 10:04 AM
They would've been smart to not include Mindbender. An exclusive set of all army builders, with one guy who's very much not an army builder is not cool. If the ROC line isn't canned, there's supposed to be an Alley Viper coming out in a gray color scheme as a pilot for some sort of tank.

Sorry Chux, they've been doing that since the relaunch. Viper sculpt, throw in Mirage. Alley Viper, Gung Ho etc. Very few times have there been 2 army builders packed together exclusively in the GvC/SpyTroops/VvV days. That would be the mythical wave 3 Bravo class, but since that is slated as an exclusive, who knows.

El Chuxter
10-27-2009, 01:25 PM
Yeah, I know they've been doing it for a while. On a really pricey set like this, though, it prevents people from buying multiples, at least at full price. It's probably why those two Cobra sets from last year wound up at drugstores for $20; who needs an army of Scrap-Iron and Major Bludd (especially since those two characters were released three times each outside that set)?

pbarnard
10-27-2009, 01:39 PM
Yeah, I know they've been doing it for a while. On a really pricey set like this, though, it prevents people from buying multiples, at least at full price. It's probably why those two Cobra sets from last year wound up at drugstores for $20; who needs an army of Scrap-Iron and Major Bludd (especially since those two characters were released three times each outside that set)?

I'll defend Scrap Iron some what...he was only on a comic pack up till that set (albiet with Wild Bill in cartoon colors). That set heralded Scrap Iron as the Cobra De Jour with just about anything ROC had to offer.

DarkArtist
10-30-2009, 05:27 PM
there is hope for new product at retail... just hit TRU in East Brunswick and found City Strike Snake Eyes and Red Fang Ninja, as well as the TRU Exclusive Snow Serpent.. Snake Eyes looks bad*** perhaps the best version of snake eyes to date. will post pics and review soon

Phantom-like Menace
11-02-2009, 12:48 AM
I don't have any inkling how long it'll take for City Strike Snake-Eyes to hit here, but I think I keep missing Kamakura. I've seen several multiples of the (relatively cool) Snow Serpent repaint and Bench-Press that have sold through several times, but haven't seen a single Kamakura.

El Chuxter
11-02-2009, 02:34 AM
I'm still waiting on Red Fang and Night Adder. Could probably use two of each. Have no desire for Kamakura.

DarkArtist
11-03-2009, 11:10 AM
have yte to see Kamakura as well and want one myself to round out the Ninja collection.. the Red Fang Ninja is alright not the greatest but a decent figure.

have only seen Night Adder once and passed

DarkArtist
11-03-2009, 08:18 PM
pics of City Strike Snake Eyes and Red Fang Ninja. I gotta say these are by far 2 of the best Rise of Cobra figures to date as far as details and paint apps. highly recommend picking these up if you see.

El Chuxter
11-04-2009, 01:59 AM
A little surprised to say I found all four of the WM exclusive environment sets (or whatever they're called), the Snarler Cycle, and the blue Joe Firebat (which will be getting Cobra stickers and joining its red brother, thankyaverymuch). Those environment sets are a steal; $15 for two figures and an old-school mini-playset (or MMS), plus a fold-out diorama. Resolute Roadblock looks sweet.

Come to think of it, with the possible exception of the RHINO, all the Joe exclusives seem to be a steal. WM had two figures ($8 value each, in Hasbro's eyes) for $14, or two plus a playset or vehicle for $15. Target had one figure and a reissue mini-vehicle for $10, or four figures for $20. TRU had the SRO sets, three figures, for $15, as well as the big playset with five figures and a $17 vehicle for $25. I wish Hasbro would follow the same model with Star Wars (cough, $50 Rancor, cough).

pbarnard
11-04-2009, 10:20 AM
A little surprised to say I found all four of the WM exclusive environment sets (or whatever they're called), the Snarler Cycle, and the blue Joe Firebat (which will be getting Cobra stickers and joining its red brother, thankyaverymuch). Those environment sets are a steal; $15 for two figures and an old-school mini-playset (or MMS), plus a fold-out diorama. Resolute Roadblock looks sweet.

Yeah, I'm mixed opinion on the WM sets. I loathe what they did to the body of the Televiper. Was going to pass on the LAW. Don't need another Scrap Iron (well he'd only be my 2nd) but I want a couple MMS's so I can replace my beat up and missing parts 82 one when I want to do some dio shots.

El Chuxter
11-04-2009, 03:28 PM
I'll post this here, since it's pretty much replaced the 25th Anniversary thread. We went to a Tuesday Morning last night. If you've not been there, imagine a crappier Ross, but with prices that indicate they think they're much nicer. I don't think I've ever bought anything at one.

Anyway, they had two Rippers and a Cobra Diver on the generic trilingual cards for $3.99. I might check out other locations as I pass them in the near future, since I imagine those weren't the only two characters produced for the foreign market. $3.99 army builders are tough to pass up (though I did pass on the Diver; four Eels, diver Baroness, two Lampreys, and two Divers is a big enough Cobra Navy, especially when it's really, really tough to display them as if they're underwater).

pbarnard
11-04-2009, 03:35 PM
Got a Morray or Pirrana boat?

RooJay
11-05-2009, 04:00 AM
I'll post this here, since it's pretty much replaced the 25th Anniversary thread. We went to a Tuesday Morning last night. If you've not been there, imagine a crappier Ross, but with prices that indicate they think they're much nicer. I don't think I've ever bought anything at one.

Anyway, they had two Rippers and a Cobra Diver on the generic trilingual cards for $3.99. I might check out other locations as I pass them in the near future, since I imagine those weren't the only two characters produced for the foreign market. $3.99 army builders are tough to pass up (though I did pass on the Diver; four Eels, diver Baroness, two Lampreys, and two Divers is a big enough Cobra Navy, especially when it's really, really tough to display them as if they're underwater).

So you're army building Ripper? I don't get it...

El Chuxter
11-05-2009, 08:49 AM
I didn't buy any of them. But if I see another location, I'll see if they have anything worth picking up; I couldn't tell if they're getting whole assortments that might have good stuff, or just the dregs.

pbarnard
11-05-2009, 03:49 PM
Ripper is a good base for a Thrasher custom...although Torch could do more of the noks (well that's essentially what Monkey wrench is with an Outback head).

Maradona
11-05-2009, 05:22 PM
I've never been to a Tuesday Morning, but a quick online search found that there are few not far from me. I'll put them on the list. Thanks.

Ando
11-05-2009, 05:41 PM
The one time I went to a Tuesday morning, I was thoroughly underwhelmed by their toy area. I take it you have to go on a regular basis in order to find anything you might want, yes?

El Chuxter
11-05-2009, 05:48 PM
It looked like they'd brought stuff in for Christmas. It was all up near the front. This was only like the third time I've been in this store since it opened about ten years ago, and the first time I saw anything even close to worth buying.

Ando
11-05-2009, 05:56 PM
Maybe I will give them a second look this weekend then.

figrin bran
11-08-2009, 02:00 AM
I bought Desert Ambush Duke today. At Target's 5.99 price tag, I figured why not as he's generic looking enough to use as a grunt.

I also noticed one of the battlepacks had a figure swap. Instead of Snake Eyes, someone took a Neo Viper and stuck a Duke head on the body. Yeah, that sure looks like SE!

El Chuxter
11-09-2009, 04:02 PM
I'm hoping the price drops at WM and Target will result in some of these things clearing off shelves. I am getting seriously antsy about some of the more recent figures. Like I said, I know I want two Red Fangs (who look like, with weapon swaps, would make some fine Night Creeper Snipers) and one or two Night Adders (haven't decided if I want one with the armor--definitely want to have one showing off his tats). I'm expecting an awful lot of these to wind up at Big Lots, Ross, and other closeout stores. The first day figures are pegwarming so badly, I wouldn't be surprised to find them at Dollar Tree in a few months.

On a more positive note, though, it looks like Target has the mini-Night Raven on sale for $10 off through the 25th (Thanksgiving Eve). Might have to finally get one.

And I fully expect there to be some major clearancing on the Pit come January. I suspect only six of those have actually been sold nationwide.

darthbooger
11-09-2009, 04:52 PM
Yep, and now there are only 2994 left of the Pits because I bought two. I dont know who bought the other four :tired:

DarkArtist
11-10-2009, 12:51 PM
picked up the Snarler Cycle last night at Walmart. the cycle looks cool and looking forward to opening it.

pbarnard
11-10-2009, 12:54 PM
I saw Night Adder, Red Fang etc on the pegs...underwhelmed.

Still haven't seen the Walmart battle packs or wave 2 Target exclusives. :(

JediTricks
11-10-2009, 04:56 PM
I just got a press release this morning about this line, figured it's worth mention here.

For every GI Joe movie toy you buy between the 11th and the 26th (minimum value of $3.99), Hasbro will donate 1 new toy to the Marine Corps' Toys for Tots charity, up to 300,000 new toys.

El Chuxter
11-10-2009, 05:02 PM
Very cool, and hopefully a good way to clear out pegwarmers. Definitely going to snag the baby Night Raven now. How exactly do they know, though? Are the retailers keeping track, or do you have to send in receipts, or what?

And, if you take advantage of Target's "Buy the Pit, get three figures free" deal, would that count as only one toy, since you only actually paid for the Pit?

JediTricks
11-10-2009, 05:40 PM
They said they were gonna have details up on gijoe.com, but I can't find them yet. I was guessing they were doing it through sales tracking, and was considering buying the Night Raven as well, maybe the Cobra Gunship, and if I can find it, the Polar Sharc.

El Chuxter
11-10-2009, 06:01 PM
Wow, that site hasn't been updated since early July! :rolleyes:

Saw this little tidbit of crap:
Arashikage Ninja Clan Background
For thousands of years, the Arashikage ninja clan has wielded its swords – and power – in the shadows of history.
I was under the impression that ninja weren't around until the 4th century, at the very earliest, and far more likely around the 6th-8th centuries. I guess I learned something today. :D

JediTricks
11-10-2009, 06:47 PM
Hey, you're the one who wet his pants when he saw Larry Hama last year, he's at least partly to blame for that crap. ;)

But yeah, that site is so not useful right now. I'm hoping they update it tomorrow with details, because otherwise that's just selfish. If they don't update it tomorrow, remind me and I'll contact them.

El Chuxter
11-10-2009, 07:40 PM
To his credit, he actually had done some research into what a ninja is and based their abilities on the more feasible legends. Saying a ninja clan has been around for "thousands of years," when ninja themselves haven't been around 2,000 years, and Japanese society itself hasn't even been around for thousands of years... that's just sloppy.

JediTricks
11-11-2009, 02:19 AM
And yet he cashed his check from Paramount and Hasbro. ;)

pbarnard
11-11-2009, 11:55 AM
The key is there to open the can...the can is there to hold in the SPAM!!!

Definitely not a Roadblock delicasy.

El Chuxter
11-11-2009, 03:30 PM
The info is up now: http://www.hasbro.com/gijoe/en_US/discover/news/Toys-For-Tots.cfm

Doesn't say specifically about the Target promo, though.

JT, if you had an option of writing comics and filecards and appearing in a movie, and getting paychecks, or complaining about the movie and possibly losing all those forms of income, what would you pick? I doubt Barack the Barbarian is selling like gangbusters, and I think Spooks was canceled a while back.

pbarnard
11-11-2009, 03:48 PM
Doesn't say specifically about the Target promo, though.

The Target info appears in a mailed catalog/coupon book. It probably has more to do with Target's excess ROC figures than a Hasbro driven promotion.

El Chuxter
11-11-2009, 03:53 PM
Yeah, I'm just wondering if it'd count as one toy, since you technically only buy one, or four, since the three figures are going to be recorded as leaving the store, and will most likely have sales tax on them. For three free figures and four TFT donations, I might consider getting the Pit prior to the inevitable January blowout sales... if I see anything but Baroness 1 and Duke in Sigma 6 armor (or whatever the "smaller" black getup is called).

JediTricks
11-11-2009, 06:22 PM
The info is up now: http://www.hasbro.com/gijoe/en_US/discover/news/Toys-For-Tots.cfm
Ugh, that's the EXACT same press release info I posted the other day.

Doesn't say specifically about the Target promo, though.It's 1 sale I'll bet, but if they're sealed items you can buy and donate to the charity, then buy another for yourself and you're still getting it done.

JT, if you had an option of writing comics and filecards and appearing in a movie, and getting paychecks, or complaining about the movie and possibly losing all those forms of income, what would you pick? I doubt Barack the Barbarian is selling like gangbusters, and I think Spooks was canceled a while back.Really? You're going with "Hama gotta eat"? That's fine I guess, but any excuse of "he did all this research, he really cares" goes out the window when it's ultimately coming down to a paycheck in exchange for your artistic creation.

El Chuxter
11-11-2009, 08:00 PM
Well, whether he created the team in its current incarnation, he doesn't own it, so I'm guessing he's got to play suck-up to Hasbro a bit. Sort of like when Hasbro and Marvel decided ninjas were TEH AWESOMES in the 1990s and changed the title to "GIJoe Starring Snake Eyes" and mandated that Ninja Force become the main characters.

I just figure if he publicly undermined the GIJoe movie, or even appeared to not be going along with it, Hasbro could pull him off the GIJoe Origins title. Aside from that, he's not doing a lot of high-profile comics work lately. Spooks was good (and, being co-written by RA Salvatore, probably should've gotten more attention), but I'm not aware of anything beyond the second volume. And it looks like, judging from message board posts at various comic book websites, Barack the Barbarian (which I've not read, but might or might not check out in paperback) came as Spider-Man and Rob Liefeld were causing serious Obama overload in comics, so whether it's good satire or not, it hasn't been selling well at all, from what I can gather.

El Chuxter
11-12-2009, 09:50 PM
Bought me a Baby Night Raven today. Also, a different Tuesday Morning store had Tripwire and Ninja Viper as well. (Those stores are awful. They make Ross look and smell like freakin' Bloomingdales.)

Has anyone used any of the environments or vehicles from the Real Heroes (I think that's the name) sold at Big Lots? The sets look pretty nice, even if the figures are awful. I'm curious as to how durable they are, and if they're as in-scale as they look.

pbarnard
11-13-2009, 10:18 AM
Yes. I use the Black Hawk in what to used to be PTE. I have the Headquarters as well. I hear there is a bigger building out there now. It's standard 1/18 scale fare, much more reasonalby priced than bbi's or 21st Century's stuff but does lack some detail.

http://generalsjoes.com/2008/08/29/miscellaneous-reviews-marauder-pte-marvel/ Look under the PTE reviews.

The figures are what customizers call Junk. Those are what you practice painting on.

El Chuxter
11-13-2009, 01:53 PM
You give the figures that much credit? :D

I saw yesterday a larger JQ set, as well as what looked like a bombed-out Iraqi or Afghan street scene. This was the first time I'd seen them (as well as a plane, hummer, and a couple of other smaller pieces.) The prices were reasonable, and I figured a bit of weathering would make the scenes and vehicles look quite nice if they were made well. I think I'm going to have to pick some up.

pbarnard
11-13-2009, 01:58 PM
You give the figures that much credit? :D

Just dropping you a huge hint when you will take your next step into a larger world. :thumbsup:

Most people rave about the hummers, tanks, planes and copters. That set hasn't seen many people pick it up yet (mostly due to scarcity of distribution). Seriously, at that price for the Blackhawk I paid ($20 5 years ago), I could've spent 4-10 times that buying a Tomahawk complete or by parts on evilPay through the nose to get a complete transport copter. The F18 is much better scale than the GhostStriker (look that up joe fans), and again, fraction of the cost.

El Chuxter
11-13-2009, 10:02 PM
TRU had the new 5-packs. The Joe one was awful. Absolutely awful. I grabbed a Cobra set, but passed on the Joes. Even with three "new" characters, it wasn't worth it. I had it in my hands, but couldn't pull the trigger, so to speak.

They also had the Snow Serpent and French Press or Benchwarmer or whatever the guy with Rock 'n' Roll's filename is. I was considering the Snow Serpent, since the blue camo pattern on him looks sweet, but I've got something like eight of the previous versions, counting the Commanders. Very nice figure, though.

pbarnard
11-13-2009, 10:57 PM
TRU had the new 5-packs. The Joe one was awful. Absolutely awful. I grabbed a Cobra set, but passed on the Joes. Even with three "new" characters, it wasn't worth it. I had it in my hands, but couldn't pull the trigger, so to speak.

Actually, there's a relatively simiple fix to make an accurate Hardball and Repeater and you can use the same set. http://joebattlelines.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=103&t=14099

Better use. Plus you get the "resolute" Dial Tone since he's now a she. Don't ask, don't tell. :yes:

El Chuxter
11-14-2009, 12:28 AM
But that'd be $40... And, though I don't have the same issue with female Dial-Tone some people do, it's cheap of them to use the very distinctive Helix head in its entirety, including the emo hairdo.

RooJay
11-14-2009, 03:10 AM
Hmm, and here my impression of the TRU packs was exactly the opposite - I immediately bought the Joe one, and decided to wait on the Cobra set. Not that I think the Cobra set is bad, but just that I didn't find it very necessary and have decided to hold off for now.

DarkArtist
11-14-2009, 11:19 AM
haven't seen the sets at retail yet so I'll hold off opinion on them but I was hoping that Hasbro would have given us the Resolute Dial Tone as she appeared in the movie not as a repainted Helix head on either a Scarett or Covergirl body. :(

figrin bran
11-14-2009, 04:18 PM
I came very close to getting the aforementioned Joe set but didn't. The rehash Helix head on Dial Tone was the deal breaker. I still may get the set if I can find a more suitable head.

Or I could just use the entire set for custom fodder.

DarkArtist
11-14-2009, 05:07 PM
walmart by me had all the figures marked down to $5.00. not a bad deal. picked up a lonely PITT Commando. the rest of the figures were from Wave 1. still not sure if I'm going to invest in the Cobra Gunship or not, been looking at it for the past couple months and really after seeing the movie the toy looks nothing like the vehicle from the film.

El Chuxter
11-14-2009, 05:59 PM
So, WM is $5 pretty much everywhere, Target is $5.99, and there's the Toys for Tots think they're supposedly hyping on radio (but I've not heard anything about outside of collector sites). Maybe some of the crap early figures will finally move.

I know I'm harping on it, but have there been any sightings of the second wave of Target mini-vehicles beyond one or two scattered finds that could have resulted from a mixup somewhere? Is there a street date on these? I've seen every other exclusive by now, and nada. Some stores are finally getting barren of the first waves, aside from the crappy Grand Slam set, so it seems like they should be showing up.

bigbarada
11-16-2009, 07:23 PM
So, WM is $5 pretty much everywhere, Target is $5.99, and there's the Toys for Tots think they're supposedly hyping on radio (but I've not heard anything about outside of collector sites). Maybe some of the crap early figures will finally move.

I know I'm harping on it, but have there been any sightings of the second wave of Target mini-vehicles beyond one or two scattered finds that could have resulted from a mixup somewhere? Is there a street date on these? I've seen every other exclusive by now, and nada. Some stores are finally getting barren of the first waves, aside from the crappy Grand Slam set, so it seems like they should be showing up.

I actually first heard about the Toys-for-Tots promotion on the radio. It's what prompted me to check out the GI Joe section for the first time in months and I found that new Resolute Snake-Eyes.:pleased:

The promotion seems to be working because about half of the figures from the GI Joe section have disappeared in the last week (although the $5 clearance pricetag might have something to do with that too).

El Chuxter
11-16-2009, 09:32 PM
The Snarler Cycle is sorta cheap. It looks good as a display piece, but the play value is low because of the quality. For two figures and a bike, $17 isn't bad. Trouble is, I just wanted the bike. Beach Head comes with a unique (I think) backpack that holds a unique 2-part crossbow, and the bike comes with extra Arashikage sigil stickers that aren't mentioned on the instruction sheet. Odd.

The mini-Night Raven is much better. I would've preferred axing the cool electronic effects for a bigger plane, one the Strato-Viper could properly sit in, but it's decent. I put the MARS stickers on it, figuring this could be Destro's prototype of a smaller version.

pbarnard
11-20-2009, 01:30 PM
Found them. Bought the Black Serpent Armor x2 and 1 Cobra Jetpack. I'm wondering would any one like to trade some Viper Commandoes for any version of the Strato Viper (aka Air Viper)?

El Chuxter
11-20-2009, 01:54 PM
So, they do exist. Nice to hear. There's the Cobra jetpack, SNAKE Armor, Storm Shadow's bike, and, what, isn't yet another Torpedo repaint as Deep Six or Wetsuit the other, with a re-release of the Wave 1 Eel's sweet jetski?

I actually would like some more Strato-Vipers myself... but don't want to drop the money for another Cobra Island set or Night Raven.

pbarnard
11-20-2009, 02:23 PM
You are correct sir. This is my first Strato Viper ever...ever. EVER. I love him, i'm going to hug him and squeeze him and call him George.

El Chuxter
11-20-2009, 02:25 PM
The Night Raven is really worth the $30 it costs at Target, through next Wednesday. Undersized, but a lot of fun, and it comes with a gray-toned Strato-Viper.

JetsAndHeels
11-20-2009, 02:38 PM
I picked up City Strike Snake Eyes the other night at Walmart. He totally rocks, and for the $5 price it was a great deal. I recommend him to anyone who has a chance to get it.

pbarnard
11-20-2009, 03:02 PM
The Night Raven is really worth the $30 it costs at Target, through next Wednesday. Undersized, but a lot of fun, and it comes with a gray-toned Strato-Viper.

I saw the Wave 2 vehicles and picked over battle packs this morning at Wal-Mart after odering some contact lens. I was tempted by the renamed Firebat, but which is really my favorite jet/plane. I like that plane, but like Strato Vipers more than AVACs and they're easier to acquire than Air-Vipers.

El Chuxter
11-20-2009, 03:21 PM
I'm sure the Wave 1 vehicles at Target will be on clearance. You'd get extra AVACs and CLAWS. (Personally, I can't see why people complain about that AVAC's paint scheme. I think it's a nice-looking stealth configuration. The muted purple actually works quite well on him.)

Darth Jax
11-20-2009, 03:44 PM

now that i've heard something positive bout it, maybe i'll pick it up. been underwhelmed by it's small size.

I saw the Wave 2 vehicles and picked over battle packs this morning at Wal-Mart after odering some contact lens. I was tempted by the renamed Firebat, but which is really my favorite jet/plane. I like that plane, but like Strato Vipers more than AVACs and they're easier to acquire than Air-Vipers.

you a cyclops that only needs a lens?

RooJay
11-21-2009, 01:23 AM
I've only ever had good things to say about the new Night Raven. The original was one massive, awesome toy, but as it always seemed more of a bomber than a fighter, I'd always thought it was a bit of a mis-match as Cobra's answer to the Joes Skystriker (now if they'd ever given the Joes a bomber as well...I'd have been one happy camper!) The new version comes of as much more of a fighter jet type, and I'm glad to have it. In my mind, both versions exist - one's a dedicated bomber and one's a fighter jet. Now if only I could find an affordable replacement for my vintage Night Raven...

Engineernerd
11-22-2009, 10:42 AM
This week at TVandFilmtoys.com, Errex reviewed the Reactive Impact Armor Duke. This is the outfit that he spends a lot of the film in, so I'm glad to see his pictures. He's really putting me to shame on the GI Joe review. (Great job, dude!)

http://tvandfilmtoys.com/index.php/2009/11/conrad-duke-hauser-reactive-impact-armor/

Enjoy!
Engineernerd

El Chuxter
11-22-2009, 07:08 PM
Found the then-and-now Battle Bear/Whatever It's Called Now set. It was on an endcap in electronics. :confused: Not a bad deal; I need the classic BB, didn't have the new one, and the movie Snow Job looks like a simple customization into a Frostbite figure.

El Chuxter
11-23-2009, 09:23 PM
Me again. :D

I found one each of Night Adder, Red Fang Ninja, and Charbroil today, which I got, as well as two of the absurd Arctic Threat Storm Shadow, which I passed on, at Wal-Mart. So they exist, too. Also took advantage of the BOGO sale at K-Mart (whose prices have gone down, curiously) to get a Crimson Neo Viper and Neo Viper Commando, mostly for the weapons (though I'll use the figures). Also saw a hideous Snake Eyes vs Storm Shadow WM exclusive with an Arashikage temple, which I hadn't heard of, and which looked like vomit.

El Chuxter
11-24-2009, 02:09 AM
I'm going for total thread domination here! :crazed: Here's some thoughts on my newest figures (all Rise of Cobra line).

Air Raid: Haven't opened, since I want some Cobra stickers to make the "Sky Sweeper" a proper blue Firebat, but he looks like a straight-up, 100% repaint of Resolute Duke with a parachute accessory. Having three Resolute Dukes from the 5-packs I picked up, he's downright boring.

Rollbar: Looks like a repaint of Airborne, perhaps with one or two switched-out parts. Not bad; it's a good mold, but nothing to write home about.

Beach Head: Surprisingly, a nice figure.... I didn't care about yet another Beach Head. I'm not sure off-hand what his makeup is; all re-used parts, but I haven't compared him to my other Beach Heads, and think most parts came from other figures. With his coloration, though, I think he will make a good custom Kamakura, based more on the Devil's Due look than any existing Kamakura figure.

Crimson Neo-Viper: I got him more for the yari, coral snake, and other cool accessories than the figure himself. And he was loaded with them. Strangely, he can't hold even half of them, and has no holsters or backpack to store things. I'm going to detail him with black and white paint, and display him only with his two axes, because he's going to be a batcrap insane looney.

Viper Commando: Totally different headsculpt than the other Neo-Vipers, with a noggin that looks more like a skull. Some bone-colored paint will make this guy look pretty cool, but he needs a less high-tech weapon, methinks. (Remember, in my Joe-verse, all these ROC Neo-Vipers are homicidal maniacs with heavily customized skull-themed armor.)

Night Adder: I love the tats. This guy's vest is not going back on him... unless I get a second. The Ice Viper head (sans visor) looks a tad strange on him without the vest, though, and I think I might swap the ROC (Resolute) Roadblock head if the skin tone matches. The sculpt is nice, but the joints in the elbows show a bit too much. Right now, I've got him going medieval, with a shotgun and his dog. (I might paint the dog, since he's the second Cobra dog who looks just like Junkyard.)

Charbroil: Gotta say, this guy's a disappointment. He looks massively better than the original, and is a sharp-looking figure, but he uses too much of the Blowtorch mold and accessories, IMHO, to have the same specialty. The head is the helmet from the 5-pack Resolute Duke, with a metallic silver Cobra Commander (?) head glued underneath. While it looks cool, it's weird to not have a removable helmet on a Joe.

Red Fang Ninja: A weird kitbash, to be sure. The body and head of a Resolute Cobra Trooper, with ROC Neo-Viper arms and legs, ROC (Resolute) Firefly's goggles, ROC Storm Shadow's swords and scabbards, and a vest of unknown origin (possibly new). Mostly, it works surprisingly well together, though the scabbard backpack sits way too high on his back for it to work. I'm using mine as a Night Creeper sniper, so I've taken his swords, and he's got a sniper rifle and silenced Uzi, along with a Firefly backpack I'm going to paint to match. He looks much better that way.

Snow Job: I thought this was ROC Frostbite with a new head just for the Target pack, but I was getting my "ROC ice-based vehicles I'm only slightly interested in" pilots confused, and he appears to be a straight re-release of the ROC Snow Job (who I'd thought was Frostbite--I haven't really paid attention to there being two ice vehicles for ROC and only remembered seeing a figure called Frostbite with what looks like a Beach Head head). This is a surprisingly nice figure, and I love the removable hood. I'm going to paint the beard and eyebrows on mine black, though, to make a modern Frostbite, since I display ROC figures as characters and support crew for my 25th Anniversary figures, and I already have that Snow Job.

pbarnard
11-24-2009, 07:59 AM
Red Fang Ninja. Uninspired figure that makes the Viper repaints look interesting.

Snow Job, pretty much shows why o-ring figures should've died in 2003 and they started the 25th/ROC body style either in 03 or early 04 given they did have the knowldege.

Roll Bar is a repainted Airborn, which being one of the nicer figures, I really forgot who he "really" is.

Air Raid. Resolute Duke. Really is Airborn given the file name.

Charbroil: WHY?!?!? I sorta thought flame throwers have gone out of style in modern military service.

Which Night Adder tats did you get the dark or the lighter blue?

Outside of finding them, the follow up waves now are so uninspired (pretty much like later VvV), that it's not worth mentioning.

El Chuxter
11-24-2009, 02:21 PM
I hadn't even looked at Air Raid's filecard. Why re-name him, when Airborne seems to be a usable name? :confused:

My Night Adder had dark tattoos. Very dark. I wasn't going to pass on him to search for another. Sadly, the skin tone is several shades darker than Roadblock, so that headswap won't work, as I'm not sure of matching the tone. I might grab a ROC Heavy Duty once those are on clearance at Ross in a month or two, since I think he's pretty dark, too.

Red Fang looks massively better with guns. The scabbard backpack was especially poorly thought-out, as there's no way anyone would carry two swords so high on their back.

pbarnard
11-24-2009, 02:40 PM
I would've been happier had they dropped the ninja (seriously, another one????...Larry Hama didn't molest any one at Hasbro did he?), and made him Blackout.

Oh, wait, confused, rechecked in the forrums at joebattlelines...Air Raid and Roll Bar have the same file name, so they're the same person. This is the reverse of the Altitude/Ripcord/Free Fall debacle.

JediTricks
11-24-2009, 04:25 PM
The Night Raven is really worth the $30 it costs at Target, through next Wednesday. Undersized, but a lot of fun, and it comes with a gray-toned Strato-Viper.Rats, it was on half-price $20 on HTS last week for a one-day surprise sale, and I passed.

Ji'dai
11-24-2009, 09:50 PM
I found a City Strike Snake Eyes today so I picked it up. I'll grab any Resolute figures that make into the line.

Also saw the WM exclusive Heatseeker emplacement and Surveillance Port. No sign of the one I'd probably would've bought, the Outpost Defender. Also didn't see the Laser Artillery Bunker. I was tempted to get the Surveillance Port as a replacement for my vintage one that has a couple broken parts.

The red Cobra stealth fighter (Aero Viper?) looks really cool too. I've been seeing that one show up in greater numbers in the last week or so.

Tycho
11-24-2009, 11:27 PM
I actually saw a RipCord figure (in his accelerator suit) in CVS today. On a whim, I just decided to go and look. They had 4 figures: Snakeyes, Stormshadow, and a Neo-Viper amongst the others.

El Chuxter
11-24-2009, 11:47 PM
When it rains, it pours. :D

Found a Target with the Wave 2 sets and picked up two Serpent SNAKE Armor sets and the Cobra jetpack. The Strato-Viper looks really nice in this color scheme, though his pack is a bit on the silly side. I didn't realize this was yet another Neo-Viper paint scheme in the SNAKE set, but it looks decent. I'm winding up with an insane number of these "Death Adders," though, and hope they dry up soon.

Then, another Target had more, and a WM had no Dewbacks, but tons of Red Fangs, Night Adders (all dark tattoo versions), and Storm Shadows, along with one Charbroil and one City Strike Snake Eyes. I grabbed the Snake Eyes, and another Red Fang and Night Adder.

I'm not sure what to do with Snake Eyes. He's a beautiful figure, but he looks fairly close to the blue "hockey mask" vintage figure who remains unmade. I'm thinking of using him as that costume, though I'll probably leave his paint as-is. I dug the outfit, but not the bright blue jumpsuit and red goggles.

Going to repaint the second Red Fang's hair, and display him totally differently; maybe no goggles and a different gun, or something. Night Adder, sadly, is still a few shades too dark to use a Heavy Duty head on. I'm thinking of painting the upper body on this one to look like he has a tight shirt, probably burgundy, and displaying him with his vest, different armaments, and possibly a different head (the ROC Flash head and helmet look like they wouldn't be too small).

All in all, not a bad few days. Now to wait for the inevitable major markdowns on the Pit. Given how crappy Black Friday sales seem to be across the board, I'm expecting $50 before Christmas. If not, then definitely within a month afterward.

Maradona
11-25-2009, 12:26 AM
Now to wait for the inevitable major markdowns on the Pit. Given how crappy Black Friday sales seem to be across the board, I'm expecting $50 before Christmas. If not, then definitely within a month afterward.

I think $50 is about what I'd pay for it as well. If they reach $25, I'd get more than one to eventually customize into a Cobra version.

El Chuxter
11-29-2009, 02:16 PM
The K-Mart 4-pack is $14.99 this week. That seems worth it for another MARS Trooper (not seen in the movie?) and Viper (seen in the movie in only one color scheme).

JediTricks
11-29-2009, 03:25 PM
Finally saw Agent Helix during Black Friday, TRU had her since their pricing on figures is still high. I've been fascinated by Helix ever since the Comic-Con Joe presentation where they showed us parts of the game and gave out her comic book. It was a total "wow, is that ever a bad idea in a massive way" sort of fascination. The figure isn't too bad, the face not too manly, but I didn't buy it either, it was more a goof than anything else.

El Chuxter
11-29-2009, 05:20 PM
Are you serious that you just now saw Helix? I mean, have you been actively looking for her and not seen her at all? She's downright common everywhere I look in the IE, Coachella Valley, and San Diego.

I have three: one for me, one for my daughter, and one that I took apart for parts for Cover Girl, Jinx, and what will probably be a She-Viper.

JediTricks
11-29-2009, 05:45 PM
I have been actively looking, but only at my local Targets and TRUs. I have seen zero until now. Very rare here.

El Chuxter
11-29-2009, 11:44 PM
Wow. I guess there's more proof of the higher concentration of scalpers in LA. :eek:

On a slightly different note, has anyone else gotten the K-Mart four pack? No huge deal here, since I'm tinkering with most of them, but how are the weapons supposed to be divvied up? The Neo-Viper, I assume, should get the three standard Neo-Viper guns, which he's packaged with. The MARS Weapons Officer definitely gets the gun and knife he's packed with. Duke is packed with a rifle and a pistol, sorta like the other Duke I have. Heavy Duty has a laser rifle and laser pistol of some sort, both in silver. I can assume the massive machine gun and belt packed separately go with Heavy Duty. Which leaves a short knife (black), a smaller machine gun (silver), and what looks like the back half of a rifle sawed in two (black). Like I said, no biggie, but I'm just curious who Hasbro expects to have what.

pbarnard
11-30-2009, 10:49 AM
No, but I picked up a City Strike Snake Eyes today figuring that some one out there may want it.

Tycho
11-30-2009, 04:18 PM
The Cobra SUV is an excellent toy. Other than a figure here or there for customizing back in the day, it is my first GI Joe toy I've ever bought.

Very nice quality and fun to play with! (I got it for use in a Terminator Salvation diorama I'm building of the bridge chase when the Harvester takes Kyle Reese.)

El Chuxter
11-30-2009, 04:24 PM
Yes, it is one sweet ride. However, did anyone ever figure out what was up with that seeming weapons attachment on the top hatch?

JediTricks
11-30-2009, 04:30 PM
Wow. I guess there's more proof of the higher concentration of scalpers in LA. :eek:Well, there's also a higher concentration of people, which means a higher concentration of collectors in general, and yet none of the chains really ship to the LA area in relation to that.

Maradona
12-01-2009, 01:09 AM
HTS has the PIT for $59 on their Deal of the Day. I'm tempted, but I think I'll wait out the holidays for it to hopefully drop further.

Tycho
12-01-2009, 01:35 AM
Yes, it is one sweet ride. However, did anyone ever figure out what was up with that seeming weapons attachment on the top hatch?

There's a cannon in mine that fires red plastic missiles that were taped on the bottom of the cardboard that held the vehicle in its original box.

Ji'dai
12-01-2009, 08:55 AM
Kmart has the Night Raven on sale for $25 this week. I had one in my hands yesterday but ultimately put it back.

Tycho
12-01-2009, 10:49 AM
Kmart has the Night Raven on sale for $25 this week. I had one in my hands yesterday but ultimately put it back.

Thanks. I might have to pick one up for use in the traffic on Coruscant.

Ji'dai
12-01-2009, 10:59 PM
Some of those movie vehicles look like they'd be right at home in the prequels, but I'm not sure I can picture a Cobra Night Raven over the skies of Coruscant.

Ji'dai
12-03-2009, 02:43 PM
I finally saw all the WM exclusive vintage playsets, including the really cool Outpost Defender. I passed since Roadblock's eyebrow paint went halfway up his forehead, but the playset is really neat. Nice to see these again, even with the weird figure repaints.

El Chuxter
12-03-2009, 02:58 PM
I got them all, figuring I'd get another MARS Trooper, another Neo-Viper, another Tele-Viper, and five figures worth of spare parts. :) As much as I loved Resolute, the figure releases have been too spotty and random to collect them as such. (Storm Shadow in Shredder Disguise? Destro prior to changing the script to make him a non-cyborg? Shockwave and a BAT, who didn't even appear?)

DarkArtist
12-03-2009, 06:52 PM
I finally saw all the WM exclusive vintage playsets, including the really cool Outpost Defender. I passed since Roadblock's eyebrow paint went halfway up his forehead, but the playset is really neat. Nice to see these again, even with the weird figure repaints.

saw these as well today and passed. wasn't a fan.

Ji'dai
12-03-2009, 09:06 PM
I see them as replacements for my vintage playsets, which have broken parts. I didn't realize the figures in them were based on Resolute.

El Chuxter
12-03-2009, 09:13 PM
Just Roadblock. It's the first use of the mold as Roadblock, though the body and limbs were previously used for Night Adder. Hawk, Grand Slam, the Neo-Viper, Scrap-Iron, and the MARS Trooper look like straight re-releases of the earlier ROC figures (with Scrap-Iron and Grand Slam being repaints of the 25th Anniversary figures). Tripwire is some weird hybrd Tiger Force/ROC paint scheme, and the Tele-Viper is done in more ROC-friendly colors.

Phantom-like Menace
12-04-2009, 01:08 AM
I'd jump right on getting an Outpost Defender. My brother grabbed one, and by the time I got to Wal-Mart, they had all of them but that set. I grabbed the Surveillance Port but passed on the rest, though I kind of wish I got the missile launcher to put on one of my H.I.S.S. tanks.

JediTricks
12-04-2009, 01:34 AM
HTS has the MARS Troopers 3pack on sale for $10 for today only: http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/dealoftheday/
http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/ProductsByBrand.htm?ID=24288&BR=520

El Chuxter
12-04-2009, 01:37 AM
Is that today only, 12/3, or today only, 12/4? I don't want to break out my spreadsheet now, but that's a pretty nice deal.... Dammit, those guys look more like modernized Vipers than the actual movie Vipers. I can't wait to find out.

El Chuxter
12-04-2009, 01:43 AM
Two sets cost $30 with shipping and CA's insanely high sales tax, or $5 per figure. Now I have six more to add to the three I already have in slightly different color schemes. Thanks, JT. You rock, and stuff. This was worth opening the ledger late at night.

JediTricks
12-04-2009, 02:18 AM
Sure thing, glad to help.

I don't know if it's for today, the 3rd, or technically tomorrow, so it's best that you got 'em now. I *think* they're for the 4th though, as earlier in the day, the deal was a creepy robot chimp.

El Chuxter
12-04-2009, 03:00 AM
My bad, by the way, on describing the paint jobs on the WM pack-in figures. Scrap-Iron has a light grey and red color scheme, whereas the first ROC Scrap-Iron (with the renamed Ferret) was black and burgundy. The new one looks better. Too bad Scrap-Iron isn't an army builder; I've got five of him now! (I'm thinking one of those heads might wind up on a custom Robert Skelton SAW-Viper, if I can get rid of the scar....)

El Chuxter
12-04-2009, 02:32 PM
Okay, who took advantage of the Toys for Tots thing from Hasbro (or just happened to buy Joe stuff in November)?

I got the mini Night Raven, two SNAKEs, a Coba Jetpack, two Red Fangs, two Night Adders, the Cobra TRU set, Charbroil, City Strike Snake Eyes, the K-Mart exclusive set, a Viper Commando, a Crimson Neo-Viper, and the Then-And-Now Rockslide/Polar Battle Bear set. So, by my count, Hasbro should've donated 15 toys to TFT.

El Chuxter
12-09-2009, 01:30 AM
Hello? Anyone else here?

I picked up the Arashikage Temple today. I wasn't going to, but Chux Jr expressed interest in the two crappy figures, and I'd read this was a treasure trove of accessories. It is. The temple itself is pretty lame, and very flimsy. Snake Eyes looks like carp. Storm Shadow isn't bad; I considered a headswap with the Hard Master to make a more comic-accurate HM, but didn't feel like painting over the huge Cobra sigil and gave him to Jr as well. I could now, though, give a ninja weapon to just about every single figure I have and have some to spare. (I exaggerate, but it doesn't seem like by much.)

Got a Desert-Viper, too. He's pretty sweet; a re-release of the Elite Viper with a treasure trove of accessories himself--goggles (not sure who from off-hand), desert Major Bludd's bandana, ROC Zartan's rifle, the standard Elite Viper holster and pistol, a new (?) vest, the nonstandard sword from the DVD pack Snake Eyes, a yari (because they're awesome--I know one came with the Crimson Viper, but I think that was a re-use also), Helix's kitchen knife, and two hatchets. All of the weapons have superior paint applications over the original releases (which, in some cases, were unpainted). He's not accurate to the classic Desert Scorpion, but far superior. I may get another one or two.

Opened the Surveillance Port. This thing suffers badly, since it's clear there were features in the 1986 release that aren't mentioned at all in the spotty instructions. It also seems weird that it's in classic Cobra blue, when both figures are in the ROC MARS glossy red-and-black. The Tele-Viper, it turns out, isn't a repaint of the earlier version, but a Tele-Viper head slapped on a Neo-Viper body. Oh, and he doesn't have his awesome backpack or crazy "microwave gun." Bummer. Still, not bad for $15, and the fold-out diorama is actually somewhat nice.

JediTricks
12-09-2009, 01:57 AM
Rats, I totally forgot to buy any GI Joe toys for TFT (or at all). I meant to buy at least 1 figure and a vehicle, but it just slipped my mind with a bunch of other stuff going on.

Daryl VayDar
12-09-2009, 10:26 AM
I ended up buying about 10 figs last month. I got the Baroness figure when the line first hit, but no others @ regular price. I found the trenchcoat Snake Eyes and couldn't say no, and I guess it kind of snowballed from there! I've now picked up the "armored" versions of Duke, Scarlett, Ripcord and Heavy Duty- are there plans for an armored version of Breaker? I kind of want the big 6 from the flick, but the Breaker does not fit with my armored crew. (I realize he is movie accurate, but I want display consistency dang it!)

El Chuxter
12-09-2009, 02:30 PM
A few sites have asked in the Q&A's, and there are no plans to release armored Breaker. You could do a headswap, I suppose.

Personally, I want a movie-accurate Breaker you can jab into someone's neck when they die, and it broadcasts their thoughts. :rolleyes:

Phantom-like Menace
12-10-2009, 01:19 AM
Hello? Anyone else here?

Well, I don't have much of interest to add, but I'm here.

I'm annoyed greatly with the distinct lack of Kamakura on toy shelves.

I'm thinking of getting two extra Scarlett bodies. I'll take one of the Target Eel heads and stick it on that body to make a ROC Jinx (not my idea--got it from another site) with an extra Snake-Eyes sword. I also want to take a Marion Ravenwood head from Indiana Jones. It vaguely reminds me of Eliza Dushku (I could be crazy), and I wanted to put the character of Echo from Dollhouse into the Joeverse. Her backstory will be that Dr. Mindbender has always been upset that Serpentor wasn't really his doing, so he decided instead of the biological angle to work the psychological angle. He combined personality attributes, skills, and knowledge into various human subjects, and Echo was the only one who was able to absorb it all without going insane. She escapes, though, is picked up by the Joes, and after batteries of testing, she's been cleared for limited field work alongside Hawk's other pet project, Helix. I may keep Jinx with the two of them as the only one completely in control of her faculties.

I saw the before and after set with the snowmobile at Target. I want to get it, but my toy spending has been crazy lately, and I talked myself down.

Anyway, after Kamakura, I'm really not sure what's going on with Joe toys. I just know I'm really looking forward to the Jungle Viper and City Strike Scarlett.

I still need to pick up the Cobra Island sets--probably should be ordering them right now, because I know I'm going to wait until I miss the boat. I'm still ****ed these Cobra army builders won't be available single carded in the classic colors. And on the subject of being ****ed about not getting classic versions of figures, the TRU set with Law and Order, Dialtone, Footloose et al. is ****ing me off more than most sets due to the shear annoyance that Hasbro only has to change their colors to give us classic versions.

I have purchased all the figures required to make my eight-person grunt squad of blue-camouflaged ROC joes. I want to hit Maurader Gunrunners to get them all uniform gear and see what they all look like together. That'll give me two groups of grunts, the ones from the Firefly set and the ROC headliners-cum-nobodies.

Tycho
12-10-2009, 04:31 AM
The newest wave of GI Joe figures seem to be hitting TRU and Wal-Mart. They look impressive - some of Stormshadow's mercenary ninjas and such.

DarkArtist
12-10-2009, 08:22 AM
Well, I don't have much of interest to add, but I'm here.

I'm annoyed greatly with the distinct lack of Kamakura on toy shelves.

I'm thinking of getting two extra Scarlett bodies. I'll take one of the Target Eel heads and stick it on that body to make a ROC Jinx (not my idea--got it from another site) with an extra Snake-Eyes sword. I also want to take a Marion Ravenwood head from Indiana Jones. It vaguely reminds me of Eliza Dushku (I could be crazy), and I wanted to put the character of Echo from Dollhouse into the Joeverse. Her backstory will be that Dr. Mindbender has always been upset that Serpentor wasn't really his doing, so he decided instead of the biological angle to work the psychological angle. He combined personality attributes, skills, and knowledge into various human subjects, and Echo was the only one who was able to absorb it all without going insane. She escapes, though, is picked up by the Joes, and after batteries of testing, she's been cleared for limited field work alongside Hawk's other pet project, Helix. I may keep Jinx with the two of them as the only one completely in control of her faculties.

I saw the before and after set with the snowmobile at Target. I want to get it, but my toy spending has been crazy lately, and I talked myself down.

Anyway, after Kamakura, I'm really not sure what's going on with Joe toys. I just know I'm really looking forward to the Jungle Viper and City Strike Scarlett.

I still need to pick up the Cobra Island sets--probably should be ordering them right now, because I know I'm going to wait until I miss the boat. I'm still ****ed these Cobra army builders won't be available single carded in the classic colors. And on the subject of being ****ed about not getting classic versions of figures, the TRU set with Law and Order, Dialtone, Footloose et al. is ****ing me off more than most sets due to the shear annoyance that Hasbro only has to change their colors to give us classic versions.

I have purchased all the figures required to make my eight-person grunt squad of blue-camouflaged ROC joes. I want to hit Maurader Gunrunners to get them all uniform gear and see what they all look like together. That'll give me two groups of grunts, the ones from the Firefly set and the ROC headliners-cum-nobodies.

i'm bummed with the kamakura status as well. he seems to be the one figure that is eluding me as well. I like your ideas of the customs of Jinx and Echo... those sounds like awesome looking figures...post pics when you get a chance would love to see your work.

El Chuxter
12-10-2009, 08:45 AM
Y'know, I've never seen Kamakura, either. And, by this point, I've seen a handful of even the City Strike Snake Eyes.

I've got an unpainted, unfinished Jinx in the works as well. Can't remember off-hand which of the bazillion masked heads I used, but the body of armored Scarlett and lower legs from Jinx. She's not entirely vintage-accurate. :)

DarkArtist
12-18-2009, 12:48 PM
last night I was finally able to pick up the Target Exclusive Snake Armor Deluxe figure.. first time seeing it on the pegs. passed on the Ninja Cycle with Storm Shadow.

El Chuxter
12-21-2009, 03:48 AM
Cheep cheep cheep....

I had a Target coupon for $5 off a $75+ purchase and a $50 giftcard tonight. I was seriously considering getting a PIT. Trouble is, no PITs. None at all. They also had cut their Joe figure section by about half, and I rather doubt they actually sold them. So, either someone came in within the past week and bought a fleet of PITs (they had six or seven last weekend), or Target decided they weren't going to sell and did something with them (be it put them in the stockroom until post-Christmas clearance time or whatever. Bummer. I still figure there will be plenty at rather less than $100 soon, so no biggie.

I did use a $10 TRU credit to get the other ROC set, with Zartan and the desert Joes. Law will remain unaltered, as likely will Footloose. Not sure if Repeater will; I couldn't really care much about Repeater, so the extra-dark tan doesn't bother me. Zartan, no clue what will become of him, and Dial-Tonette will probably be a tech of some sort. (I don't want to display her too prominently, since that Helix head is rather distinctive.

I've also gotten the crazy idea to army-build and repaint the Concept IG-88 figure, making them Cobra sentry robots. If the YVH wasn't so hard to assemble, I could maybe make something along the lines of the Super-BAT from near the end of the Marvel series.

Phantom-like Menace
12-24-2009, 02:07 AM
i'm bummed with the kamakura status as well. he seems to be the one figure that is eluding me as well. I like your ideas of the customs of Jinx and Echo... those sounds like awesome looking figures...post pics when you get a chance would love to see your work.

I picked up the Scarlett bodies recently, and I brought them and one of my Target Eels to work tonight. The Eel head fits perfectly on the Scarlett body. I have a Marion Ravenwood head, but it's buried in--I think--my Star Wars figures on a Bultar Swan body. I should have looked for it yesterday, but I've been super lazy. Otherwise, I have an Eel and Marion coming soon from eBay.

Anyway, linkage to the pic:
http://members.cox.net/fmkj/jinx.JPG

I grabbed a City Strike Snake-Eyes and a Paris Pursuit Snake-Eyes for the gear. Jinx right now has the CS Snake-Eyes sword and belt with his pack while Echo has the PP Snake-Eyes sword and CS gun. I imagine the Marion head's hair will prevent me from using the hole in the back of the body, so I'll probably end up giving Echo the CS sword and belt and Jinx the PP sword (I don't want any giggling about giving Jinx the PP sword:lipsrsealed:). I'm going to cut out a section of the CS belt to make it more snug, and I'll paint it black, and then I'll paint Jinx's neck black too.

When City Strike Scarlett comes out, I might see if the Marion head fits on that instead, but for now they just go to the same tailor.

DarkArtist
12-24-2009, 11:33 AM
nice work.. figure looks great. was thinking of making alot of custom stuff next year since there will be huge gap of product in the Star Wars line (which is okay cause my wallet could sure use the break).

El Chuxter
12-27-2009, 02:34 AM
Target's clearancing once again, and GIJoe gets marked down... not very much at all. All I found on clearance were a bazillion of the exclusive 4-packs (Snake Eyes, Duke, and two Neo-Vipers); $13.98 at one store and $9.98 at two other stores. No markdowns on the first wave mini-vehicles, which are still rotting on shelves, or the Pit, which takes up half a bloody aisle by itself.

Really, aside from the one store I referred to a few posts back, every store on Earth has several of these things. If they don't clear them out soon, it could become hazardous.

Maradona
12-28-2009, 01:10 AM
For those waiting to buy the Rise of Cobra P.I.T. Mobile Command Center, rejoice. Just found this info at another site:

Find the PIT on sale for $59.99 at the KOHL'S website, where entering codes "Extra20" & "NoCharge" gives you 20% off and Free Shipping, bringing your total to $47.99 (before applicable tax)!

I just ordered one.

El Chuxter
12-28-2009, 01:23 AM
Aaaaaaand... having read that, I just ordered one and will be returning the other one to a store I really don't like giving business to, anyway (Wal-Mart). Especially not when they're about $20 more.

SirSteve
12-28-2009, 01:22 PM
I need some G.I. Joe questions to send to Hasbro ASAP so any help would be appreciated!

pbarnard
12-28-2009, 02:29 PM
Have holiday sales altered any ordering on future Alpha vehicles?

Are there mroe battlefield stations like the Wal-mart exclusives on the way?

What sort of unveiling calendar will there be for mid to late 2010 given the close proximity of ToyFair and mid-Spring JoeCon?

Maradona
12-28-2009, 02:35 PM
Accidentally submitted the post below twice and don't know how to delete one. Sorry.

Maradona
12-28-2009, 02:39 PM
Yet another FLAGG question:

Given that the GI Joe movie which had a USS FLAGG in it (however briefly) made a few hundred million dollars in worldwide gross, that the Resolute cartoon (which had a USS FLAGG play a prominent role) was well received, and that there are rumblings of another animated series in the works, what else needs to happen to get Hasbro to start planning for a rerelease of the largest and in some cases most sought after toy ever?

pbarnard
12-29-2009, 01:22 PM
Yet another FLAGG question:

Given that the GI Joe movie which had a USS FLAGG in it (however briefly) made a few hundred million dollars in worldwide gross, that the Resolute cartoon (which had a USS FLAGG play a prominent role) was well received, and that there are rumblings of another animated series in the works, what else needs to happen to get Hasbro to start planning for a rerelease of the largest and in some cases most sought after toy ever?

Do you really think they can make anything like the 7 foot classic version for under $300 these days? Would any retailer give the shelf space to sell it? Times have changed, playsets of this scale are dead/gone. Time to move on.

JediTricks
12-29-2009, 05:53 PM
Seeing Tycho's Steel Crusher a few weeks ago, and TRU had it on sale, I decided to pick it up. I'm not thrilled with owning a Hummer H2 toy, but it's kinda cool that it has the flip-down shield and fold-out mini-missiles. It's an ok toy, but it feels like it needs 1 more something to really be GI Joe. Maybe that's more interior space, maybe it's another gimmick (there's clearly a neutered weapon attachment at the top, a corresponding hole to hold it in the rear bed), definitely a rear slide-out bumper deck so figures could stand on the back. But it's an ok toy, well-sculpted and fun. The figure is pretty bleh though, his helmet shield looks terrible and he's 1 color, has no weapons.

After seeing how plain the figure was and how wasted the top hatch was, I decided to put a mainline figure in there with him, so I hit WM for the $5 sale. I ended up picking up a Neo Viper for its array of weaponry. I wanted the Crimson version, but it was sold out at WM and had accessories which didn't fit my needs. Then I saw a single Pit Commando, and having read about his accessories, I had to try it too. And once I did that, I figured it'd be a goof to add Helix to the mix since she was on the pegs and had ok accessories. So, in the course of 2 days, I went from no movie toys to multiples.

I'm a little surprised at how constricted the arms on these figures are, it's been over 25 years we've been playing with GI Joe ARAH figures and they still can't hold their weapons all that well, much less 2-handed. The sculpting still looks very obvious, but they're decent GI Joe figures. I would have liked to have seen more range of motion on the waist, I know it's not an O-ring anymore but still, I got a lot of action out of that particular joint. All in all, this line doesn't feel like an improvement to me. Some of the paint is better, some worse. Some sculpting better, but mostly it's on-par with the last decade of Joe. There are very few vehicles I'm interested in now, which is tragic as that was the Joe line's best aspect, but these designs largely are overpriced, undersized, and uninteresting.

Hello? Anyone else here?

I picked up the Arashikage Temple today. I wasn't going to, but Chux Jr expressed interest in the two crappy figures, and I'd read this was a treasure trove of accessories. It is. The temple itself is pretty lame, and very flimsy. Snake Eyes looks like carp. Storm Shadow isn't bad; I considered a headswap with the Hard Master to make a more comic-accurate HM, but didn't feel like painting over the huge Cobra sigil and gave him to Jr as well. I could now, though, give a ninja weapon to just about every single figure I have and have some to spare. (I exaggerate, but it doesn't seem like by much.)That playset is a stripped-down re-release of a much cooler set:
http://www.yojoe.com/vehicles/05/ninjabattles/
It definitely was flimsy as hell, but look at the mountain of stuff you got with it for $15:
playset with 2 axes
comic book
dvd
5 figures

El Chuxter
12-29-2009, 07:33 PM
I got the old one when it went on clearance. One of the few VvV sets I did get. :) I do think the colors look better on this release, though.

For a question, not sure how universal it'd be, but I'd love to have it:
"Although his scene appears to have been cut, Joe guru Larry Hama played a NATO general in GI Joe: The Rise of Cobra. Obviously, Mr. Hama wouldn't be a candidate for a mainline action figure, but have you considered (or would you consider) producing him as a convention exclusive? Something tells us he might be really popular with the attendees at Comic-Con, especially with the rumored continuation of the classic comic book series."

Or maybe...
"Some time ago, you said in a Q&A response that, though the 25th Anniversary line was on hiatus, some classic characters would find their way into the Rise of Cobra line. However, a few of these are very different from their classic counterparts (like Dial-Tone, who's now a woman), or exist in very different form in the movie (like Cover Girl). Any chance we might see more 'classic' versions of these characters to fit in with our existing 25th Anniversary collections?"

JediTricks
12-29-2009, 07:40 PM
Good enough questions, think you can come up with a 3rd one?

SirSteve
12-30-2009, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the questions! I have enough for this round.

Maradona
12-30-2009, 03:16 PM
Do you really think they can make anything like the 7 foot classic version for under $300 these days? Would any retailer give the shelf space to sell it? Times have changed, playsets of this scale are dead/gone. Time to move on.

That's the nature of the question, isn't it? What would have to happen to make Hasbro decide to market the toy again? If I believed it was time to move on, I'd have stopped collecting toys a long time ago...

El Chuxter
12-30-2009, 03:23 PM
Maybe we can ask about Billy at some point?

"One character from the classic comic book, who has never appeared as an action figure, is Cobra Commander's son, Billy. (Face it, a cyborg ninja with an eyepatch seems like a potentially successful figure.) However, since the incarnation of Cobra Commander from the film doesn't have a teenaged or adult son (and doesn't look nearly old enough for Billy to be retroactively added to the mix), is there any way we might see a Billy figure? (You could even make up something about him being Cobra Commander's brother, or something, and we'd all know who he really was.)"

pbarnard
12-30-2009, 07:56 PM
That's the nature of the question, isn't it? What would have to happen to make Hasbro decide to market the toy again? If I believed it was time to move on, I'd have stopped collecting toys a long time ago...

Except it is asked at conventions (usually every year or at every GI Joe panel), and the response hasn't changed, if there was a retail partner...expensive to point of not selling. The horse is dead.

Maradona
12-31-2009, 02:30 AM
Except it is asked at conventions (usually every year or at every GI Joe panel), and the response hasn't changed, if there was a retail partner...expensive to point of not selling. The horse is dead.

Just because the horse is the stables, doesn't mean it is dead. I seem to recall Hasbro saying in a prior Q&A that they have the molds and tooling for the Flagg. Why would they even bother locating the tools if somewhere in their minds the potential, however remote, for a release didn't exist? Hasbro has been notorious in Q&As for saying that the decision to make larger vehicles often rested on whether there was entertainment support, animated or filmed. Now that such entertainment support exists, what other factors would be needed for such a seemingly impossible rerelease?

Here's another question for the future: on the ROC Night Adder figure, how were the tattoos selected, specifically SPRINGFIELD and COBRA-LA?

Phantom-like Menace
12-31-2009, 02:44 AM
I'd have a hard time not making my Joe questions sound bitter or more like a statement of how we told them so. Something to the effect of "Why is G.I. Joe the theme that excites me most but the theme I purchase the least of?" or "Now that the lackluster movie has failed to drive sales of RoC figures, could you start back with classic-style figures I would slap my grandmother for the chance to buy, maybe starting with the metric ****-ton of army builders from the Cobra Island set I would want had you not made them difficult-to-buy exclusives?"

DarkArtist, I have a picture of basically the finished Jinx and Echo figures. They are here:

http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?p=711549#post711549
(http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=15)

pbarnard
12-31-2009, 06:26 PM
Just because the horse is the stables, doesn't mean it is dead. I seem to recall Hasbro saying in a prior Q&A that they have the molds and tooling for the Flagg.

Here's another question for the future: on the ROC Night Adder figure, how were the tattoos selected, specifically SPRINGFIELD and COBRA-LA?

They have it because they wanted the collector's club to id figures for future releases since most of those older molds are pitting and rusting out to oblivion. They plan to scrap them, or so was the intention at JoeCon this year after the club took the o-ring figs they wanted.

That's a good question.

Found the Wal-mart 2 packs marked down to 6.98 if you've passed till now.

indyjones1981
01-06-2010, 12:52 AM
Did anyone get the Walmart Exclusive GI Joe ROC Outpost Defender set? If anyone has an extra I would be willing to trade for it. Thought I would try to avoid Ebay as much as possible and I haven't been able to find it anymore in 5 different Walmart stores. They must of not ordered to many for around these parts. Send a pm please if you have one to trade and what you are looking for in return e.g. like GI Joes or Star Wars. Thanks.

Phantom-like Menace
01-06-2010, 03:24 AM
That always exciting package arrived from Marauder Gun-Runners, so it's time to get my nondescript grunt squad ready.

I had no desire whatsoever to purchase most of the RoC figures, but with their being the only Joe stuff on the shelves by and large for months, I went ahead and found something to do with them: I purchased a handful of the blue/black camouflaged main characters and Pit Commandos and repurposed them all as nameless nobodies.

First the pic of all of them together:
http://members.cox.net/fmkj/grunts.JPG

Then their weapons:
http://members.cox.net/fmkj/gruntsguns.JPG

I opted for the Modular NVR rifle, and as much as I wanted to maintain a very uniform appearance to their weapons, they're just too modifiable for me to keep them completely the same. I gave Sgt. Stone (who will probably keep his name as the one named guy of the group) an underslung shotgun and gave the Scarlett grunt the high-power scope. Breaker grunt and Shipwreck grunt got the Combat Optic like Stone (but without the shotgun). Pit Commando #1 and Zartan grunt both got the M249 SAW. Pit Commando #2 and Cover Girl grunt got the NVR with M203 grenade launchers and R-D sights.

You can see I also got some of the Marauder stands, and they are phenomenal. I can't picture myself ever buying any other stands again. I got two clear ones free as well, and I really can't believe I didn't go with those instead. I grabbed some guns (.50 Barret Sniper Rifle, combat shotgun) for Deadpool as well and gave him the free MP7 I got, but I didn't bring him to work. I really need to go crazy for him and Punisher and get them a ton of weapons each.

So that's kind of the finger I'm giving to RoC figures. They are nobodies in my universe.

pbarnard
01-06-2010, 10:39 AM
You do know the NVR stands for New Viper Rifle?

Phantom-like Menace
01-06-2010, 12:44 PM
You do know the NVR stands for New Viper Rifle?

I knew they were based on the Viper rifle, but I didn't know what NVR stood for. I considered the M4, but decided to go with this one instead.

pbarnard
01-06-2010, 12:53 PM
I didn't get the Modular NVR's because I bought a bunch of the original NVR's (premodular days) which were just fine for me. Either way, you can't go wrong with the modular weapons, any of them. When I get around to unpacking, should the stock remain stable, I think my next giant MJ order will be stands...stands...stands...

Anyone find the 2 packs clearanced out at Walmart besides me? And i've seen all ROC figs for $5 at WM forever now...

pbarnard
01-06-2010, 01:50 PM
Head over to hisstank.com or generalsjoes.com to see pics of the VAMP and HISS Tank allegedly coming with the pursuit of Cobra transitional line.

Maradona
01-06-2010, 09:29 PM
Head over to hisstank.com or generalsjoes.com to see pics of the VAMP and HISS Tank allegedly coming with the pursuit of Cobra transitional line.

The VAMP is especially appealing.

DarkArtist
01-07-2010, 03:30 PM
definately want to get at least 2 of the Resolute HISS Tanks. The Vamp is sorta hit or miss with me. not really digging it at this time. I have the 25th Anniversary style Vamp as well as the Stinger so I'm good for now. will wait and see what the vehicle looks like up close before making my final decision

pbarnard
01-07-2010, 03:44 PM
I'm indifferent on them. I don't think I want anything more (both space, desire, and complain about rehashes in SW, in Joe rehashing is worse, much worse).

JediTricks
01-07-2010, 05:59 PM
That HISS looks great, real working treads finally!!!

The Vamp I dunno about, it's a 4-door and looks it, not as exciting, kind of a stripped-down mom-mobile. But the features look decent, and the main weapon is slick.

pbarnard
01-15-2010, 10:40 AM
Generals Joes has mirrored pics from Hisstank.com of more upcoming vehicles: A retooled Sky (I'm not ever calling it Ghost) Hawk, a Dreadnok Cycle, and wave 2 of the Rip it vehicles (A snow mobile and Sub/hover thing)

http://generalsjoes.com/2010/01/14/images-reveal-potential-2010-releases-or-a-sign-of-what-might-have-been/comment-page-1/#comment-21114

DarkArtist
01-15-2010, 11:55 AM
the re-tooled Skyhawk and Dreadnok Cycle look great. not a big fan of the rip and roar vehicles though. curious to see how Hasbro is going to continue this line in 2010. looking forward to Toy Fair 2010

pbarnard
01-15-2010, 12:03 PM
the re-tooled Skyhawk and Dreadnok Cycle look great. not a big fan of the rip and roar vehicles though. curious to see how Hasbro is going to continue this line in 2010. looking forward to Toy Fair 2010

I don't know if they'll do much with GI Joe at Toy Fair. They put the JoeCon in April, so what will be put out when is a big mystery. I think Hasbro asked the Collector Club to move GI Joe away from Celebration V. But that can't be confirmed.

JediTricks
01-15-2010, 06:49 PM
I've always had a thing for the Sky Hawk, but never picked one up due to (originally) it not having a true canopy. That new design looks alright.

I don't want to like that Dreadnok trike, but the gatling-style guns and the flip-out blades look nifty.

RooJay
01-16-2010, 03:04 AM
I've been fiending for some new Joe stuff for a long time now! I've actually been thinking of buying up a bunch of Wal-Mart's leftovers at five bucks a pop to do some customizing to tide me over. Can't wait until this stuff starts to hit!

DarkArtist
01-16-2010, 02:35 PM
I've been fiending for some new Joe stuff for a long time now! I've actually been thinking of buying up a bunch of Wal-Mart's leftovers at five bucks a pop to do some customizing to tide me over. Can't wait until this stuff starts to hit!

spotted in Target that they have the 4 pack of figures 2 Neo Vipers vs Duke and Snake Eyes marked down to $4.98. a great deal for 4 figures. might go back and pick one up later. the Snake Eyes looks better then the single carded version from the first wave...

JediTricks
01-16-2010, 08:30 PM
I saw that set at Target on clearance, they had 2. The second one had Snake Eyes replaced with another Duke wearing Neo Viper armor.

pbarnard
01-18-2010, 01:44 PM
I saw that set at Target on clearance, they had 2. The second one had Snake Eyes replaced with another Duke wearing Neo Viper armor.

Well they improved the Duke figure.:thumbsup:

JediTricks
01-18-2010, 04:59 PM
Picked up the Night Raven at Target yesterday, unmarked sale price of $20 down from $40. It's cute, but honestly, after all the positive comments here, I was expecting a little better.

El Chuxter
01-24-2010, 11:19 PM
Fleep fleep fleep fleep....

This isn't technically movie-related, but, since this seems to have become the go-to Joe thread, here it is:

I found a good deal of 25th Anniversary stuff at Marshall's and TJ Maxx today. The once-elusive Mutt/Wraith wave was $3.99; I got another Bazooka Viper, Para-Viper, and Wraith (since I use him as an advanced model BAT). I also saw most of the earlier vehicles (Slammer/Air Chariot, SHARC, Firebat, RAM/Trouble Bubble, and VAMP) for $12.99, a carpload of Combat Heroes for $3.99, some 12" figures (don't recall the price), and Mighty Muggs (Destro, Duke, and Snake Eyes) for $9.99.

Makes me think I'm going to have to keep checking, in case that last wave of Transformers Classic Legends shows up.

Maradona
01-24-2010, 11:51 PM
Got the City Strike Snake Eyes today. I love all the accessories, but are the arctic shoes necessary for a city strike?

Darth Jax
01-24-2010, 11:58 PM
don't remember all the accessories with that fig, but if they're the shoe spikes i assumed it was so he could get his inner spiderman on and climb the outside of buildings (all ninja like)

figrin bran
01-29-2010, 08:58 PM
I got the Target ATAV/Snow Job "evolutions" set for only $6.24 today!

Maradona
01-29-2010, 09:19 PM
I got the Target ATAV/Snow Job "evolutions" set for only $6.24 today!

WOW! Which Target has dropped them so low? I've been waiting for the 75% wave to drop around here.

figrin bran
01-29-2010, 09:24 PM
WOW! Which Target has dropped them so low? I've been waiting for the 75% wave to drop around here.

La Cienega Target. They had 5 remaining when I left the store.

Maradona
01-29-2010, 11:03 PM
La Cienega Target. They had 5 remaining when I left the store.

Thanks. I'll add it to my weekend outing.

figrin bran
01-29-2010, 11:24 PM
I also picked up Artic Threat Doc at TRU today.

pbarnard
01-30-2010, 08:12 PM
I also picked up Artic Threat Doc at TRU today.

You mean 90s Neon Doc? :thumbsup:

El Chuxter
01-31-2010, 07:54 PM
Anyone need the "Best of the 80s" DVD set still? I found a second one.

Maradona
01-31-2010, 11:47 PM
Anyone need the "Best of the 80s" DVD set still? I found a second one.

If that's the set with Alpine, I do. I never saw it at retail.

bigbarada
02-01-2010, 11:44 PM
I was at the TRU in Springfield the other day and had some time to kill so I thought I would look through the GI Joe stuff. I found several of the artic gear Shipwreck figures that I guess are TRU exclusives. I kind of wish I had seen this guy before passing up all those artic gear Snake Eyes figures a few months back.

I went ahead and bought Shipwreck and his leg snapped off at the knee as soon as I took him out of the package.:upset: So I returned it today and exchanged it for another one. Actually a really cool figure and definitely one that I would have really liked as a kid. Now I just need to track down an arctic gear SE to partner up with him.

El Chuxter
02-02-2010, 09:39 AM
I've seen the first (25th Anniversary) Arctic Snake Eyes a few times recently at TJMaxx. Haven't seen the ROC one in a while, though.

pbarnard
02-02-2010, 09:54 AM
I was at the TRU in Springfield ....

And did the Dreadnok Police stop you? See any Crimson Guardmen? Did a Televiper direct your call?

Couldn't resist:thumbsup:

CHUX, WHAT??!?!?!?! You mean every third figure on your peg isn't Snake Eyes? (The other third some variant of Stormshadow, and the rest Heavy Duties)?

El Chuxter
02-02-2010, 01:06 PM
Mostly Heavy Duty, Cover Girl, Duke, and Storm Shadow here.

I saw the ROC Water Moccassin Sting Raider at TRU. Easy pass. Ugly color scheme and who needs to army build Copperhead?

If the Q&A is still going on, I'd like to propose the following question. I know it's really blunt, but I'd kinda like to know:
"Although we know you cannot comment on exactly how well any particular item or line is selling, it looks to us, from the consumer point of view, that the 25th Anniversary line did far better, without any media tie-in whatsoever, than the Rise of Cobra line has been doing even with a major Hollywood movie and tons of advertising. True, there are exceptions on both ends of the spectrum (though most of the better performing Rise of Cobra toys seem to be new takes on classic characters and vehicles who weren't updated for the 25th Anniversary line), but has the Rise of Cobra line lived up to expectations from Hasbro's point of view? What are the chances that future updates to classic characters might be more along the lines of their classic looks?"

pbarnard
02-02-2010, 01:17 PM
Mostly Heavy Duty, Cover Girl, Duke, and Storm Shadow here.

I saw the ROC Water Moccassin Sting Raider at TRU. Easy pass. Ugly color scheme and who needs to army build Copperhead?

If the Q&A is still going on, I'd like to propose the following question. I know it's really blunt, but I'd kinda like to know:
"Although we know you cannot comment on exactly how well any particular item or line is selling, it looks to us, from the consumer point of view, that the 25th Anniversary line did far better, without any media tie-in whatsoever, than the Rise of Cobra line has been doing even with a major Hollywood movie and tons of advertising. True, there are exceptions on both ends of the spectrum (though most of the better performing Rise of Cobra toys seem to be new takes on classic characters and vehicles who weren't updated for the 25th Anniversary line), but has the Rise of Cobra line lived up to expectations from Hasbro's point of view? What are the chances that future updates to classic characters might be more along the lines of their classic looks?"

I think this was asked and answered in the last round.

http://joebattlelines.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=14769 #3 goes to the future plans.

http://generalsjoes.com/qanda.html Full Rundown of all GI Joe sites questions. Sadly, you only really need to read one because they're all the same (usually).

El Chuxter
02-02-2010, 01:58 PM
joebattlelines missed part of the first answer. Here's the full answer; I've highlighted the part that site inadvertently missed:

1.) At the GIJCC Con in Kansas City we were shown figures from the Pursuit of Cobra line that were due to kick off with waves in Jan., Feb., and April. In the last round of Q & A's you mentioned that PoC wouldn't hit until the Fall. Why the push back? Does this mean we won't see the things we were shown? We’ve seen new card art images that make no mention of PoC. Has this been scraped? Also, what new product will we see between now and then?

The Pursuit of Cobra line will launch in the Fall and will include most of the product you saw in Kansas City. Rise of Cobra product will continue to be available at retail during the first half of 2010. Trust us on this. We can't actually get anybody to buy the crap.

bigbarada
02-02-2010, 04:59 PM
I've seen the first (25th Anniversary) Arctic Snake Eyes a few times recently at TJMaxx. Haven't seen the ROC one in a while, though.

I was thinking of the ROC figure where he's wearing all white.

So is this whole "Arctic Threat" theme going to be just something that fills the gap between now and the next crappy movie? I've always been a sucker for arctic/Hoth type environments, so I'm definitely interested in picking up a few of these guys. Especially that new Snow Job figure, who I just discovered last night. He looks awesome!

Here he is from one of those sellers in China, who seem to be stealing stuff directly from the factory:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390120124708&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_3425wt_1167
But I'll wait until I see him in stores.

For me, the classic looks are all well and good, but I will always prefer it when they incorporate more modern-styled, realistic equipment. Not the Cold War Era stuff from the original 13 and not the over-the-top, ridiculous sci-fi crap from the movie. There has to be a happy medium in there somewhere.

pbarnard
02-02-2010, 05:06 PM
So is this whole "Arctic Threat" theme going to be just something that fills the gap between now and the next crappy movie? I've always been a sucker for arctic/Hoth type environments, so I'm definitely interested in picking up a few of these guys. Especially that new Snow Job figure, who I just discovered last night. He looks awesome!

For me, the classic looks are all well and good, but I will always prefer it when they incorporate more modern-styled, realistic equipment. Not the Cold War Era stuff from the original 13 and not the over-the-top, ridiculous sci-fi crap from the movie. There has to be a happy medium in there somewhere.

The theory is there are several themes, City Strike, Jungle Pursuit, Artic Threat. This eventually will all get merged into something called Pursuit of Cobra. Should be lots of stuff in April around Toy Fair and the JoeCon, but yeah, waiting for all of it until August if not October this year.

So you'd like stuff like the later day line say 1986-1991 or so? Why not just go Marauder Inc and arm them the way you want?

bigbarada
02-02-2010, 06:45 PM
So you'd like stuff like the later day line say 1986-1991 or so? Why not just go Marauder Inc and arm them the way you want?

Well, my favorite thing about GI Joe when I was a kid was that it was usually pretty current. So, figures from 1986 were fine for 1986, but I want 2010 figures that are consistent with what we see in modern military inventories.

I'm not sure what Marauder, Inc. is, but I also really like the characters from the cartoon (season 1 mostly). So, combining the characters from GI Joe with modern military equipment is the perfect combination for me.

pbarnard
02-02-2010, 07:19 PM
www.marauderinc.com (http://www.marauderinc.com) specialty 3.75" 1/18 weapons. Some modern, some older, some sci-fi. And their new stands are kick-*****

El Chuxter
02-02-2010, 08:18 PM
BigB, there's another Snow Job who comes with the Rockslide ATAV. Target has the "Past and Present" set on clearance right now, and it's the same figure and vehicle (with maybe some minor color changes) and includes the classic Snow Job and Polar Battle Bear, all for about the price of one figure. He's not nearly as heavily equipped as the one you linked to, though.

There's another version of the Ice Viper (Arctic Viper?) coming soon as well, with some color variation from the original. If you don't have any already, the ROC Ice Viper is a really sweet figure. (I think the Snake Eyes was actually kitbashed from that and the ROC Snow Job, with a Snake Eyes head.)

RooJay
02-03-2010, 03:17 AM

I second that! Though I would still like to see some redos here and there using the classic designs, I'm really dying to see the classic characters redesigned with more modern sensibilities (providing they're still recognizeable.) I think Resolute was a good attempt at this, and I'd like to see that concept continue - minus Stalker's dreadlocks and the post-op Dial-Tone (I kid! I know she's actually a different character with the old name, but I want the original Dial-Tone back.)

DarkArtist
02-03-2010, 10:10 AM
spotted the Artic Threat Doc and Shipwreck the other day and they were both an easy pass. can't understand why Hasbro even thought of these 2 figures and why they decided to pack Doc with Firefly's backpack....what would a Doctor in the Artic need with plastic explosive and a gas can ?

the Shipwreck just looks bad....just as bad as Artic Snake Eyes.....

sadly this is a line that is getting easier to pass by... nothing jumping out and screaming buy me.

bigbarada
02-03-2010, 10:44 AM
www.marauderinc.com (http://www.marauderinc.com) specialty 3.75" 1/18 weapons. Some modern, some older, some sci-fi. And their new stands are kick-*****

Well that's pretty cool. :) I'm going to have to buy a few M4 Carbines for my Joes.

I seem to recall 21st Century Toys selling sets like this and they were fully painted and everything. Although you were never given the option to just buy one weapon at a time.

BigB, there's another Snow Job who comes with the Rockslide ATAV. Target has the "Past and Present" set on clearance right now, and it's the same figure and vehicle (with maybe some minor color changes) and includes the classic Snow Job and Polar Battle Bear, all for about the price of one figure. He's not nearly as heavily equipped as the one you linked to, though.

There's another version of the Ice Viper (Arctic Viper?) coming soon as well, with some color variation from the original. If you don't have any already, the ROC Ice Viper is a really sweet figure. (I think the Snake Eyes was actually kitbashed from that and the ROC Snow Job, with a Snake Eyes head.)

I do remember seeing that Snow Job set a few weeks back, but my only Target is about 50 miles away. However, I might still go check to see if any are still there this week. If nothing else, I want it for the snowmobile.

The Ice Vipers are currently pegwarming at my local Walmart (along with about a million different Stormshadows). I remember seeing them a while back and thinking that they looked pretty cool, but just didn't feel compelled to buy them. I've never been the biggest Cobra toy collector, but I guess I'll need to pick up a few if I plan to build a mini Joe arctic team.

pbarnard
02-03-2010, 11:13 AM
what would a Doctor in the Artic need with plastic explosive and a gas can ?

Well reallistically, it's just a plastic can filled with water. Really, its more practical to order a gas can, never put gas in it, and carry some other liquid then to try to carry dozens of bottles of water.

sadly this is a line that is getting easier to pass by... nothing jumping out and screaming buy me.
Wait, Doc's quote didn't scream at you and burn your eyeballs out?

bigbarada
02-04-2010, 01:37 AM
I picked up an Ice Viper figure today and I must say that he looks really cool. He and Shipwreck definitely share the same legs. My only complaint is that I wish he had a holster for his tiny pistol.

I still think the Arctic Shipwreck is my favorite new GI Joe figure right now.

pbarnard
02-04-2010, 05:02 PM
Anyone else read the full Hasbro release for ToyFair and not see GI Joe?
http://www.actionfigs.com/index.php?categoryid=98&p2_articleid=3937

Also, Collector's Convention has announced the exclusives: The Red Shadows. First revealed is Interogator. Also in the brouchre is Flint, Black Major, Red Torch Troopers and Red Shadows all done in o-ring style.
http://www.gijoecon.com/ri2010/pvd10brochure.pdf

http://www.gijoecon.com/ri2010/pvd10attendee.pdf

www.gijoecon.com/ri2010 (http://www.gijoecon.com/ri2010) for pics of Interogator and others as made available.

El Chuxter
02-04-2010, 05:08 PM
As Hasbro said, stores still have ****-tons of July 2009 product to sell before they even think of ordering more stuff. :)

figrin bran
02-06-2010, 09:58 PM
I bought Artic Pursuit Shipwreck today!

At two different Targets, I noticed that the ROC Cover Girls were on clearance for 4 something. However, her fellow pegwarmer Destro was not on clearance. I know that there were 2 different DPCI's for the ROC figures so I guess that would explain it?

Maradona
02-06-2010, 11:04 PM
Picked up Arctic Doc and Shipwreck today along with the repainted Water Moccasin. I wonder why Hasbro repainted the AVAC pilot instead of maybe a Lampreys for an aquatic vehicle figure.

El Chuxter
02-07-2010, 01:43 PM
This may not bode well, but at least the local WM (haven't checked to see if it's more widespread) has not only been shrinking the section, but has marked all figures down to $4. All that were left were a handful of both Cobra Commanders (remember when Rex was impossible to find?) and about six thousand each of the first three Storm Shadows (masked, unmasked, and slashed to heck). I got one each of the CC's... I figure I can use their accessories, and maybe make some generic scientists. I might even leave Rex untouched, as a crazy looking generic scientist. :)

El Chuxter
02-07-2010, 05:15 PM
Holy crap, these two figures are SWEET! It's a shame the movie sucked so badly, since some of the toys are bloody amazing, and both versions of Cobra Commander rank really highly. I'm going to buy up the rest of the store's stock (only a couple figures each), so I can keep my original plan of using them for parts and have some "unadulterated" versions. Strangely enough, I can actually see the parts being useful for characters like Adele Burkhart and Dr. Biggles-Jones as well as unmasked Snake Eyes.

In the meantime, here's what I did with the ones I got. Just a simple head and accessory swap to create a made-up assistant for Dr. Venom (who's still unfinished, since he's going to require some painting). I call him Larry. :D

Edit: Crap, I got the rotation off. You can figure it out. :)

El Chuxter
02-07-2010, 06:40 PM
Sorry for the triple, but I've got a question for anyone who has the Destro 2-pack (which I passed on last summer): is the James McCullen (Destro) the same body as the Springfield Rally Cobra Commander? And what's the construction like on the "original Destro"?

It doesn't look like this was a super-hot seller, and I'm thinking it'd be a pricey set, but maybe worth it, to pick a couple of these up along with another Tomax/Xamot, to make "business suit Crimson Twins" figures.

El Chuxter
02-07-2010, 08:06 PM
May as well go for quadruple post....

Anyone have extra 25th Anniversary Timber figures (any style) they want to get rid of?

pbarnard
02-07-2010, 10:41 PM
May as well go for quadruple post....

Anyone have extra 25th Anniversary Timber figures (any style) they want to get rid of?

Sorry for the triple, but I've got a question for anyone who has the Destro 2-pack (which I passed on last summer): is the James McCullen (Destro) the same body as the Springfield Rally Cobra Commander? And what's the construction like on the "original Destro"?

It doesn't look like this was a super-hot seller, and I'm thinking it'd be a pricey set, but maybe worth it, to pick a couple of these up along with another Tomax/Xamot, to make "business suit Crimson Twins" figures.

Trying to figure out what I clean up more...the baby's butt or Chux's GI Joe questions. :thumbsup:

CC CC is actually an Indiana Jones Toht figure that was never made/released. http://www.yojoe.com/action/08/cobracommander33a.shtml

CC Destro is built off of that with a slightly different suit jacket. http://www.yojoe.com/action/09/jamesmccullenxxiv.shtml

Evil shares the same core, but has indvidual tailors.

El Chuxter
02-07-2010, 11:29 PM
D'oh! I thought the CC was an alteration of the Toht to give it a construction more in line with other Joes, and hadn't looked closely enough at the Destro to realize he was different.

Unfortunately, with the crooked tie on Destro, I'm not sure that would be ideal for the Twins. Hasbro could do some wacky mirror-image thing to make the ties crooked in opposite directions. I'm not even about to try that. I'll just live with them in their armor, until something more suitable comes along.

bigbarada
02-08-2010, 10:20 PM
So, when is that Arctic Threat Snow Job supposed to be released? I'm tempted to pick one up off of one of those Ebay sellers from China who always seem to get everything in advance; but I won't bother if he's supposed to be released in a month or two.

El Chuxter
02-08-2010, 10:57 PM
Looks like the $4 deal was only at the one WM. However, a couple of Targets have started clearancing "garbage" figures, which are currently at $4.18. I picked up a couple of Cover Girl Man figures.

pbarnard
02-09-2010, 12:14 PM
So, when is that Arctic Threat Snow Job supposed to be released? I'm tempted to pick one up off of one of those Ebay sellers from China who always seem to get everything in advance; but I won't bother if he's supposed to be released in a month or two.

If he's Pursuit of Cobra line, not till August or later. :cross-eye

bigbarada
02-09-2010, 03:58 PM
If he's Pursuit of Cobra line, not till August or later. :cross-eye

In that case I might have to order one of the figures from China. I'm sure I'll have completely lost interest by August. lol

I did find the Arctic Snake-Eyes at Wal-Mart today. It seems they restocked some older figures. I also found a Paris Pursuit Snake-Eyes and decided to buy him for Timber. You can't have an arctic Snake-Eyes without Timber. It helps that the figures are still only $5 each.

I guess $5 is the point where my impulse shopper gene kicks in. $7 or more shuts it down.:D

RooJay
02-10-2010, 03:51 AM
Finally watched the movie, and well...my experience was not good on any level. This should be especially of note considering how easy to please I tend to be as far as my appreciation of movies - I even admit that I found each of Stephen Sommers' three previous films, both Mummy Movies, and yes, even Van Helsing, to be rather enjoyable.
Channing Tatum makes Hayden Christensen seem like Sir Laurence Olivier in comparison!
The figures are still pretty cool, though, and man am I ever dying to get my hands on some new product!

pbarnard
02-11-2010, 08:36 AM
First Con Figure revealed today, Black Major from UK's Action Force Red Shadows.
http://www.gijoecon.com/ri2010/con10blkmjr-preview.cfm

I'm so glad I'm not a member. I don't want to have to pay $350 for 15 year old, incredibly dated figures.

Maradona
02-11-2010, 11:33 AM
I don't want to have to pay $350 for 15 year old, incredibly dated figures.

I've never understood why those sets are so expensive. A Lanard set with about the same number of figures and accessories would cost $20-$30 at Walmart. I've always wanted to own a Red Shadow, but not at so steep a price point.

pbarnard
02-11-2010, 11:40 AM
Well part of it is your Convention Registration (the set plus one extra is included, there's an additional 3-4 items that are extra), but even if you don't go, you still can buy the figs for about 20-30 dollars cheaper once factored in shipping. It also has to do with how limited the runs are in the factory to make something like that given that the Club now owns the old molds that are still viable. Also, the Collector's Club is a bit of a hold over and anachoristic. It says it has "exclusive" information and previews that really aren't, it still operates like it is the late 80s/early 90s only recently making an electronic newsletter for members. Not that I defend the club, but if the "o-rings are the best thing ever" crowd wants to keep sinking their money into that instead of better products, their choice. Not going to hold a gun to their heads to make them change, just glad they can't hold the rest of hostage who wanted better/modern/updated figures finally.

DarkArtist
02-11-2010, 03:12 PM
First Con Figure revealed today, Black Major from UK's Action Force Red Shadows.
http://www.gijoecon.com/ri2010/con10blkmjr-preview.cfm

I'm so glad I'm not a member. I don't want to have to pay $350 for 15 year old, incredibly dated figures.

tend to agree with you here pb... i can't see how they can justify the pricetag. as much as i like G.I. Joe there is no way i would drop cash on some of these exclusives

El Chuxter
02-11-2010, 03:28 PM
If it was actually new figures and not customs based on old molds, I could maybe see the price. The elusive TF Classics Botcon Seekers figures were roughly the same price, and two of them had new wings!

Anyone know much about the Red Shadows? I know they were villains in the Action Force line prior to the introduction of Cobra, and I (unfortunately) read the storyline from Devil's Due about a group of "conspiracy theorist's wet dream" supermen who tried to destroy GIJoe and Cobra for unclear reasons, killed a bunch of people (many of whom mysteriously reappeared in a major editorial snafu), and then totally vanished forever. But what's the deal with the "real" Red Shadows from Action Force?

pbarnard
02-11-2010, 04:13 PM
If it was actually new figures and not customs based on old molds, I could maybe see the price. The elusive TF Classics Botcon Seekers figures were roughly the same price, and two of them had new wings!

Anyone know much about the Red Shadows? I know they were villains in the Action Force line prior to the introduction of Cobra, and I (unfortunately) read the storyline from Devil's Due about a group of "conspiracy theorist's wet dream" supermen who tried to destroy GIJoe and Cobra for unclear reasons, killed a bunch of people (many of whom mysteriously reappeared in a major editorial snafu), and then totally vanished forever. But what's the deal with the "real" Red Shadows from Action Force?

I think it's bloodforthebaron.com or net that is the dedicated Action Force/Red Shadows info site. Basically it's the Cobra of UK's Action Force. Certain characters are renamed, slightly different paint schemes and few unique ones like the Major there. Just a passing familiarity is all I got.

pbarnard
02-11-2010, 09:49 PM
Red Torches are up. http://www.gijoecon.com/ri2010/con10torches-preview.cfm

Phantom-like Menace
02-12-2010, 12:26 AM
Awesome, Pyro-"Troppers!"

Maradona
02-12-2010, 12:49 PM
Red Torches are up. http://www.gijoecon.com/ri2010/con10torches-preview.cfm

These are tempting.

El Chuxter
02-13-2010, 04:13 PM
It looks like the Comic-Con exclusive figure isn't going to be some niche figure like Cobra Commander in a suit or Pimp Daddy Destro this year, but something a lot of folks are going to want. (Given how well the "niche" characters sold, aside from the movie Destro set, I'm hoping they produce mass quantities, or people will be very, very mad.) I don't want to spoil the massive surprise of seeing the slide yourself, but, depending on whether you go by the old 'toon or comic, it's a major character who beat the snot out of Serpentor, or a minor character who beat the snot out of Zartan and promptly disappeared, and one I did not expect to ever see Hasbro produce again.

El Chuxter
02-13-2010, 04:36 PM
Okay, I'll spoil it, because I'm dying to add this question to the Q&A rotation:

"You recently announced that the 2010 Comic-Con exclusive would be Sgt. Slaughter, produced in the 25th Anniversary style, with new tooling. The two past SDCC 25th Anniversary exclusives (suited Cobra Commander and "Pimp Daddy" Destro) both were available in two different color variations. And, in the Marvel comic, Sgt. Slaughter looked slightly different from his cartoon and live-action appearances in that he did not wear his trademark sunglasses. While we realize it's probably too late to change any plans for Comic-Con, and that this particular figure would have licensor requirements that wouldn't affect other GIJoe figures, is there any chance of either a head variation without the sunglasses, or that the sunglasses might be removeable?"

pbarnard
02-13-2010, 05:36 PM
Actually, that would be 2/3 ComicCon exclusives. The other Destro 2 pack was part history, part Medieval/Modern version (still available from Hasbro).

Slaughter, eh...they're probably already using the Bazooka/Benchpress/Heavy Duty body to start like so many customs have already.

El Chuxter
02-13-2010, 06:17 PM
The head would make all the difference, especially with the BnB version so impossible to find. I can live with the rest being re-used.

I didn't count the Destro set, since it was Rise of Cobra. Both dedicated 25th Anniversary figures were gone before the end of the show, IIRC, and the Destro was sort of a joke. (Not saying it was a bad figure, as it absolutely was not, but a reissue based on a canceled figure is silly.)

pbarnard
02-13-2010, 06:43 PM
http://www.gijoecon.com/ri2010/con10vflint-preview.cfm

Joe Con Flint is up. It gets worse from here I guess.

pbarnard
02-19-2010, 10:20 PM
http://www.gijoecon.com/ri2010/con10ATbox-preview.cfm

12" JoeCon set is up for preview.

El Chuxter
02-20-2010, 03:32 AM
Not a toy, exactly, but the only Target around here that still had the game for the Wii had it marked down to $15. The reviews are lousy, but I picked it up anyway, since the complaints most people had are things I generally like about games, and I figured it was worth a shot. (It's an old-style shooter by most accounts, and I dig the old-style shooters more than the modern ones.)

JediTricks
02-22-2010, 01:19 AM
I picked up the Sting Raider TRU-exclusive today, never found the regular version, so I figured better to get one while I could. For $20 instead of $16, you get a repainted new-mold Water Moccasin (I can't call it "Sting Raider" anymore, we all know what this is), a repainted Copperhead, and a Swamp Viper.

The vehicle is cool, a nice update to the original. The paint is a little fugly, alternating red and green slop, but it kinda works for the concept. There are other changes around, black instead of green, stuff like that. They put on a few stickers, left a bunch more on the sheet tho'. I never really realized how much I wanted the original as a kid until I got this one and discovered I had been aping its design across a few of my LEGO designs over the year. The dual-height diver seat, the underside sled torpedo, the hull design, the rear "wings" (it's a deck), stuff like that I borrowed heavily.

The extra figure for $4 makes sense IMO, this vehicle has a gunner turret that just needs to be manned, and the swamp viper fig is adequate in color and design to do it. Swampy and Copperhead both have removable knives, that's cool stuff, and they each have a big rifle (though, as is too often the case, the pack-in figures get accessories that aren't designed to fit their hands), and 1 of the rifles is so long it doesn't fit in the storage bay. :p

Still, the figure designs aren't that great, they used the pre-movie knees for Copperhead and the cockpit tapers in around the legs, so his knees bend in. And I miss the figures being able to bend more at the torso. I've given this line 3 chances, and every time I feel like it could be more, it could be a little better. It's like GI Joe trying to borrow design concepts from the SW line but never getting it all the way right.

El Chuxter
02-22-2010, 11:54 AM
Didn't realize it was a TRU exclusive. I thought it was odd that there appeared to be a case or two worth of a single vehicle, but didn't even look at the front for a TRU sticker.

TRU exclusive Doc is silly. Really silly. Eco-Warriors silly.

pbarnard
02-22-2010, 01:17 PM
Still, the figure designs aren't that great, they used the pre-movie knees for Copperhead and the cockpit tapers in around the legs, so his knees bend in. And I miss the figures being able to bend more at the torso. I've given this line 3 chances, and every time I feel like it could be more, it could be a little better. It's like GI Joe trying to borrow design concepts from the SW line but never getting it all the way right.

Well when you recycle a mold from 1984 put put in a figure that was bulked up for a comic pack and has since been recycled 3-4 more times, it's not going to fit.

JT, the o-ring figure in this day in age is a terrible idea. Vehicles no longer drive GI Joe, so it doesn't make sense that the figures should be designed to accomdate them. The prices we pay to have a little o-ring piece snap in 6 months would be terrible and kill the line permamently. I've spent almost as much in replacement o-rings for the last decades worth of figures than I have on the figures themselves. Death to O-Rings and A LONG PAINFUL AND PUBLIC DEATH to the people who want them to be brought back. :bandit:

Phantom-like Menace
02-23-2010, 12:50 AM
TRU exclusive Doc is silly. Really silly. Eco-Warriors silly.

Some of the gear in his pack is a little weird. I don't really recognize the plastique that came with Firefly just by looking at it, so if no one had told me otherwise, I would have just assumed it was "a medical thingie." The silver tool seems a little harsh to use on someone, but I can't see it too hard to explain away. Beyond that, he's a medic, so that explains the colors. He's supposed to be easily visible in my mind.

JediTricks
02-23-2010, 04:11 AM
Didn't realize it was a TRU exclusive. I thought it was odd that there appeared to be a case or two worth of a single vehicle, but didn't even look at the front for a TRU sticker.I have never seen the first release from last year except in photos, and few of them, so I was thrilled that TRU got a re-release this year. The box has a TRU sticker on the front, but it's the fact that it's a 100% different packaging style that I think sells its exclusivity. Naturally there were a million of them on my TRU run today, but I'm still glad I got the one I found yesterday.

I don't get why that line of vehicles doesn't get more play. The SHARC, the Sky Hawk, the Firebat, the VAMP, the FANG, the HISS, and the Water Moccasin, they all got poor distribution. I think it was the reasonable pricepoint, they're $16 I think and come with a figure, some of the molds were new even.

Well when you recycle a mold from 1984 put put in a figure that was bulked up for a comic pack and has since been recycled 3-4 more times, it's not going to fit. The Sting Raider is actually a 100% new mold made in '08, the same year those legs on Copperhead were first used.

JT, the o-ring figure in this day in age is a terrible idea. Vehicles no longer drive GI Joe, so it doesn't make sense that the figures should be designed to accomdate them. The prices we pay to have a little o-ring piece snap in 6 months would be terrible and kill the line permamently. I've spent almost as much in replacement o-rings for the last decades worth of figures than I have on the figures themselves. Death to O-Rings and A LONG PAINFUL AND PUBLIC DEATH to the people who want them to be brought back. :bandit:I never said I wanted O-rings back, although they did allow for a great amount of range, and you could easily repair them yourself even as a kid. But look at the new Jedi Luke, it has a ton of range of motion, and unlike O-rings it holds that pose. If they used something like that but BETTER (they use something like that but MUCH MUCH WORSE) then they'd have something.

BTW, I had some classic ARAH figures who never had their O-rings break after years and years. I still would, but grandma gave away the Defiant Space Launch Complex FULL of my old Joes while I was forced to move to Phoenix.

pbarnard
02-23-2010, 09:52 AM
The Sting Raider is actually a 100% new mold made in '08, the same year those legs on Copperhead were first used.

I never said I wanted O-rings back, although they did allow for a great amount of range, and you could easily repair them yourself even as a kid. But look at the new Jedi Luke, it has a ton of range of motion, and unlike O-rings it holds that pose. If they used something like that but BETTER (they use something like that but MUCH MUCH WORSE) then they'd have something.

BTW, I had some classic ARAH figures who never had their O-rings break after years and years. I still would, but grandma gave away the Defiant Space Launch Complex FULL of my old Joes while I was forced to move to Phoenix.

Yep, you're right on the mold being new. But I never said I had a problem with the original o-ringed figure. My problem is the last decade or so worth of them that I've spent just as much in repairing them as obtaining the figures. That is a major problem. The vehicles were plagued, much like Legacy, by the case assortments. They would pack in 2 or 3 vehicles that were already released 2x per case while including only 2 new ones at 1x. That stuck the stores with SHARCs and Firebats and caused relegation of things like the Stinger and Arctic HISS to online only status.

And today the RED SHADOWS JoeCon exclusive is revealed. Original Palitoy head on Red Star/Col Brekov body.

http://www.gijoecon.com/ri2010/con10rstroops-preview.cfm

pbarnard
02-23-2010, 04:40 PM
http://generalsjoes.com/ does say one can previe with free registration at the Club's forrums, but I thought you had to be a member to register and reply there.

Has a teaser image of the GI Joe club exclusive Action Team set that will use 25th/ROC bodies, include DR VENOM, and be available at the Con as well as online.

El Chuxter
02-23-2010, 04:42 PM
Did you see who revealed the package art? Lanny! Mabs' archenemy makes an appearance on yet another site!

JediTricks
02-23-2010, 05:03 PM
Yep, you're right on the mold being new. But I never said I had a problem with the original o-ringed figure. My problem is the last decade or so worth of them that I've spent just as much in repairing them as obtaining the figures. That is a major problem. The vehicles were plagued, much like Legacy, by the case assortments. They would pack in 2 or 3 vehicles that were already released 2x per case while including only 2 new ones at 1x. That stuck the stores with SHARCs and Firebats and caused relegation of things like the Stinger and Arctic HISS to online only status. Hmm, I've had no experience with the O-rings in the last decade, that could explain my ignorance. I still feel that design was inspired for the time, plus the Joe design of that era made customizing easy. But if they're tearing themselves apart moreso now and you're a big collector, that's gotta be a ton of work.

Stupid case assts, that's Hasbro's downfall, they try to get cute restocking product before knowing if it needs restocking. I think another issue is that it was competing too unfavorably with the movie line. The pricepoint didn't fit, it's $16 and the Alpha vehicles from the movie were the same price despite being much smaller, and the Bravo vehicles were generally the same size as these while being $10 more.

I guess knowing this now, I'm grateful I was able to finally achieve any version of the Water Moccasin, and the TRU deal wasn't too bad.

DarkArtist
03-04-2010, 08:18 AM
hisstank.com has posted pics of the upcoming SDCC exclusive Sgt Slaughter... 2 verisions the variant is the one with the guns... while not as good as the Jakks Build and Brawl version i might have to get one of these guys.... i like the belt and microphone accessories and it reminds me of the vintage Slaughter a little bit.

El Chuxter
03-04-2010, 09:23 AM
Hmmm.... I would've rather had a version without the glasses, but I guess that probably didn't work out from a licensing perspective. I like the look of the normal one, but would rather have guns. Oh well; I can give him some guns from someone else, since they look like they're re-used anyway.

DarkArtist
03-04-2010, 10:47 AM
Hmmm.... I would've rather had a version without the glasses, but I guess that probably didn't work out from a licensing perspective. I like the look of the normal one, but would rather have guns. Oh well; I can give him some guns from someone else, since they look like they're re-used anyway.

I don't remember a scene from the cartoon series where he wasn't wearing the glasses but oh well. i agree about the weapons....thinking of using some custom weapons for the Sgt.

El Chuxter
03-04-2010, 01:49 PM
He went without specs quite a bit in the comic. I was trying to find a pic, but this (http://www.myuselessknowledge.com/joe/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=261&Itemid=53) is the closest I can find--a scan of his more military-styled comic book outfit. (He looked quite different in the comic, more like a real drill sergeant assigned to the Joe team might look like.)

I keep going back and forth on those. After looking at the pics more closely, I like him wearing camo pants more than tights, even if that version lacks the "USA" tank top. But the legs on the camo version are comically short. I'm wondering if I should get the head and slap it on a repainted Roadblock body? Or get both versions? I think the price will be the deciding factor here.

SirSteve
03-04-2010, 09:40 PM
Need Hasbro questions for ActionFigs.com for the next round of Q &A...

RooJay
03-05-2010, 03:04 AM
I've got no complaints about either version, and I must have both!!!

Darth Jax
03-05-2010, 08:21 AM
was never a big fan of the sarge. so won't bother me if i don't pick up either version.

DarkArtist
03-05-2010, 01:43 PM
Here's a few:

Any chance of getting some of the classic ARAH vehicles from the 80's and 90's like the G.I. Joe Skystriker, Dreadnok Thunder Machine, LCV Recon Sled into the Pursuit of Cobra Line. How about more of the smaller battle stations like the Cobra Bunker or Checkpoint Alpha or perhaps the G.I. Joe PAC-RATS like the Machine Gun or the Missile Launcher ?

Any Chance of seeing the rest of the Oktober Guard members in the Pursuit of Cobra Line...memebers like Horrorshow, Schrage, Daina, Stormavik, Lt. Gorky, and Volga ? maybe a battlepack with a new sculpt of Colonel Brekhov ?

Since we are finally getting Sgt. Slaughter (Thanks very much, he loks awesome !) is it possible to see the Renegades perhaps in a battlepack with the Sgt's main mode of transport the Triple T ?

How about some large bases for our Joe and Cobra forces...aka the Vintage Joe Headquarters or the Terror Dome ?

RooJay
03-05-2010, 10:02 PM
I've got a couple questions:

What are our chances of seeing some of the Sigma 6 characters represented in this 3 3/4" line? Specifically, Long Range, Hi-Tech, Lt. Stone, Inferno, and any of the various versions of the BAT?

Is there any possibilty of seeing a new version of the Skystriker similar to the style and scale of the Rise of Cobra Night Raven?

El Chuxter
03-05-2010, 10:29 PM
We might be over quota, but what about:

"In the various IDW series, many well-known characters have looks that are quite distinct from any previous incarnation. What are the chances of getting some of these characters in action figure form? Though, obviously, the new looks for characters like Cobra Commander or Destro would clash with what's been established, some updated characters, like the Crimson Guard and Crystal Ball, have not appeared in any form in the Rise of Cobra/Pursuit of Cobra line, and could potentially be worked into that line."

SirSteve
03-06-2010, 05:23 PM
Hasbro has implemented new rules that they will not address questions like "Will we see...". So, any other questions?

DarkArtist
03-07-2010, 03:18 PM
This question may be a long shot but here goes....

The G.I. Joe label has been around quite some with many formats being used to capture the spirit and fun of G.I. Joe... we have seen toys ranging from 3.75" figures to detail 12" figures down to small ventures like Micro Machines and McDonalds Happy Meal toys....What are the chances that Hasbro may do a joint venture with Lego to create a new venue for the G.I. Joe where larger sets like playsets and perhaps a USS Flagg might see the light of day ?

El Chuxter
03-07-2010, 03:31 PM
If we ask that, should we mention the failure of the Built-To-Rule line? Might not be too terribly out there, since both SW and Spider-Man have (or had) Lego sets.

I have to say, I'd give my left arm for Lego Transformers and GIJoe if it meant Lego Transformers and Lego GIJoe video games. :mabs:

JediTricks
03-07-2010, 07:16 PM
LEGO wouldn't do it, Mega Bloks would but they already have their own military line, I think.

Hasbro is about to release another building block toy line (it looks terrible) so I can't imagine them doing this.

DarkArtist
03-09-2010, 09:35 AM
If we ask that, should we mention the failure of the Built-To-Rule line? Might not be too terribly out there, since both SW and Spider-Man have (or had) Lego sets.

I have to say, I'd give my left arm for Lego Transformers and GIJoe if it meant Lego Transformers and Lego GIJoe video games. :mabs:

completely forgot about the failed BTR line.... I think that if Lego tackled the G.I. Joe / Transformers angle it might actually work. I mean after all LEGO has a strong following, and has the ability to make some really cool toys for a somewhat decent price. This might also work in giving us in scale G.I. Joe / Transformers ratios.

LEGO wouldn't do it, Mega Bloks would but they already have their own military line, I think..

I think if the following was strong enough and they could have creative say over what vehicles, characters etc could be made there is the possibility that LEGO would jump aboard..