PDA

View Full Version : GI Joe Movie Toys

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

JediTricks
03-10-2010, 06:45 PM
The GI Joe line isn't exactly tearing up the market right now, and it's Hasbro own license so I can't imagine them willing to give that to another toymaker.

El Chuxter
03-10-2010, 06:52 PM
I just really hope they're smart enough to say, "Hmmm.... Vintage line sold like hotcakes until it turned hot pink. Sergeant Savage and Extreme didn't sell. Straight-up vintage reissues didn't sell. Joe vs Cobra/Valor vs Venom/Spy Troops sold only okay. Sigma Six sold somewhat decently. 25th Anniversary, aside from some bad choices in case distribution, sold like hotcakes. Movie line is bombing hard. Hmmmm.... Which should we go back to?"

JediTricks
03-10-2010, 07:12 PM
Yeah, right, that's so likely since Hasbro is well-known for the timely smart calls. :p

DarkArtist
03-26-2010, 11:51 AM
the movie line by me seems to be tanking hard. same figures on the pegs all over the stores...very few vehicles and the ninka showdown set i believe has been marked down to $9.99... the line looks sorta bleak.. hoping the Pursuit of Cobra line picks up and helps the series move forward.

really would love to see Hasbro bring back the 25th Anniversary line. there are still figures that need to be made. wouldn't mind it if they added this line with the Pursuit of Cobra line and gave us versions of Life-Line, Low-Light, Sci-Fi etc.

figrin bran
03-28-2010, 09:50 PM
Target has marked down the ROC figures down to $3.99.

The Night Raven is on sale for $19.99 until sometime in late April. I may actually spring for one of these.

El Chuxter
03-28-2010, 10:46 PM
All of them? A lot of Targets had put selected ROC figures on clearance a while back. I remember getting a Cover Girl or two.

It really is a shame the movie sucked and the toys didn't catch on. The figures, for the most part, are some of Hasbro's best work.

DarkArtist
03-29-2010, 01:27 PM
All of them? A lot of Targets had put selected ROC figures on clearance a while back. I remember getting a Cover Girl or two.

It really is a shame the movie sucked and the toys didn't catch on. The figures, for the most part, are some of Hasbro's best work.

most of the figures were some of the best work from Hasbro, the new series Pursuit of Cobra (showed at Toy Fair) look amazing...can't wait to see these on the pegs....

on a side note......i actually liked the movie..not the greatest but also not a total flop as well...hopefully the sequel will be a major improvement.

DarkArtist
03-30-2010, 01:47 PM
picked up the Desert Viper the other at Walmart..decent figure, massive accessories and no larger/ useless weapon to boot.

might have to check out Target and see if what that figure sale looks like...if they have the figures marked down to $3.99 might pick up a couple of extra Destro's for customizing

El Chuxter
03-30-2010, 01:51 PM
That Desert Viper is a truly sweet figure. I got one for the accessories and parts, and decided I like it so much, it just replaced the Sand Scorpions I don't have.

JetsAndHeels
04-02-2010, 02:31 PM
I picked up the Rhino vehicle last night at Target. It was on clearance for $14.98. Sweet deal!!

JediTricks
04-02-2010, 03:46 PM
The Night Raven is on sale for $19.99 until sometime in late April. I may actually spring for one of these.I bought one for that price, it wasn't worth it. It's an eh vehicle, ok looking but crappy for figure interaction. It's really more of an electronic gun.

It really is a shame the movie sucked and the toys didn't catch on. The figures, for the most part, are some of Hasbro's best work.Yes, all of the ones they have. It's not a clearance, it's tagged as a sale.

The figures just aren't inspiring. The movie designs are somewhat plain and drab, the faces somewhat awkward. They aren't very well designed for kids (I think Hasbro overestimates how impressed kids are by giant out-of-scale missile launchers) and they aren't the versions of characters that collectors want to buy. The vehicles are uninspiring and overpriced. It was a misfit line all the way.

Darth Jax
04-02-2010, 08:29 PM
It was a misfit line all the way.

i must have missed the danzig and only figures.

DarkArtist
04-03-2010, 05:36 PM
I picked up the Rhino vehicle last night at Target. It was on clearance for $14.98. Sweet deal!!

all my target are sold out of the Rhino... oh well. I can love without it.

JetsAndHeels
04-03-2010, 08:56 PM
I can love without it.

All you need is love baby!! :)

El Chuxter
04-05-2010, 12:46 AM
You're probably not collecting them, since they're definitely kids toys, but I got my daughter two 12" Joes so her Barbies would have some male companions. It's pretty amazing how disparate the quality was on them. Heavy Duty has a nice sculpt, though it looks nothing like the character. He comes with two machine guns, both with removable parts. But his hands are both one-piece.

Duke, on the other hand, has the more recent hand sculpt with moveable fingers (the index finger being separate from the other three), and is a great likeness. However, he comes with just a nondescript M-16 with a honking ugly strap.

Like I said, if anyone here cares. If I didn't have a kid, I wouldn't.

Darth Jax
04-05-2010, 07:41 AM
that's why sideshow does the 12" star wars figs. cuz hasbro couldn't get good likenesses any longer and didn't seem to be trying

JediTricks
04-05-2010, 05:52 PM
IMO, the reason Sideshow does 12" Star Wars now is because Hasbro ran out of figures to make that they thought they could sell to consumers, so they sub-licensed it to another company to sell the same characters to the same consumers again, thus getting a second slice of the pie.

One of their last SW figs was Dooku, very good likeness. I think it's my only 12" with the hinged Joe hands. And the likeness and outfit were good, but man did those hands suck at holding lightsabers. And the taper of the body was very evident once they took away the muscly body (ugh, that term reminded me of Mr Herbert from Family Guy :p).

El Chuxter
05-01-2010, 09:34 PM
Opened seven figures I bought at Target and TRU blowouts. One was yet another ROC Baroness. I kept her glasses and accessories, and the figure went to my daughter. She's apparently Helix's mommy. :)

Arctic Shipwreck is pretty nice. I'm not sure what he's going to become, but I love the body sculpt (mostly, if not all, re-use of the Ice Viper). I'm actually thinking of an Arctic Crimson Guard.

Snow Serpent, according to yojoe.com, isn't a straight-up repaint, but has some new parts. I've not compared him side-by-side with the earlier ones. He now includes an icepick. I'm just a sucker for Snow Serpents. I don't know why.

Bench-Press is one sweet figure, though kinda weird. I'm not sure why a machine gunner is armed with a chainsaw. I figured it was a good idea to have an extra super-muscled body, and the headsculpt is nice. (If I'd not gotten the Legacy Stormtrooper set, I'd use this head for Joe Colton.)

Desert Ambush Duke is pretty nice. I picked him up with a character in mind who has nothing to do with the desert. ;)

Doc... Man. The figure is great. The accessories are awesome. But why is he freakin' neon orange and yellow? Honestly, aside from the colors, he'd be one of the best in the line.

Paris Pursuit Baroness is bloody sweet, too. These figures really are so much better than that movie deserved. I'm thinking I'm going to leave her close to as-is, maybe with a little paint detailing (I've really got a crapload of half-finished figures waiting for paint), just to be some cool female Cobra. Maybe Erika LaTene.

El Chuxter
05-01-2010, 09:41 PM
Oh, and here's a proposed question for next time:

We know you've been asked about possible figures based on IDW's highly successful Cobra series, as well as the other comics set in this universe. The Free Comic Book Day preview of the new continuation of the original comic book series already has some pretty sweet-looking new designs. If you were to re-visit the 25th Anniversary line in some form, might you consider immortalizing some of these designs in figure form, since they technically fall in the "classic" universe? (I'm thinking of Billy's new Cobra duds, Cobra Commander's latest awesome battle armor, and, most especially, the Cobra Troopers with the American flag on their helmets. Really, that would just take slapping a little flag on the helmet of a re-release of an existing figure.)

(If you need a reference, this is what I'm referring to with the "patriotic" Cobras: http://www.comicbookresources.com/prev_img.php?disp=img&pid=1271961402.)

Hunter119
05-02-2010, 06:40 AM
I heard that Hasbro revealed at JoeCon that The Pursuit of Cobra would end in Spring of 2011 to make room for their new GI Joe Cartoon Toys...

That really bums me out if it is true. I was really getting into this line because of their (some what) realistic portrayal. I really don't want a bunch of cartoony looking figures to totally uproot this line. :(

El Chuxter
05-02-2010, 11:36 AM
The new cartoon's supposed to have an animation style similar to Resolute, and be darker than previous shows (aside from Resolute). So there's still a good chance that the figures could be realistically styled.

That Low-Light from the POC line looks pretty awesome. I guess I'll not use the Duke from the TRU set to make one.

Darth Jax
05-02-2010, 10:32 PM
glad that target clearanced all the gi joe figs and managed to clean out the shelves. only to restock them with hundreds of snake eyes and destros. now i'll never see a new joe.

El Chuxter
05-02-2010, 10:37 PM
Better than TRU clearing out everything in their sales, only to replenish with literally tons of Arctic Shipwreck, Arctic Doc, Snow Serpent (oddly enough), and Bench-Press.

I did decide that I'll likely use the Doc head to make Blind Master, a character who otherwise would never be made.

Hunter119
05-03-2010, 07:02 AM
Wow, and for a while I thought I was the only one to be bombarded with Snake Eyes, Storm Shadows, and "Arctic Threat" figures.

At this rate, I'm never going to find Kamakura :(

El Chuxter
05-03-2010, 12:18 PM
Kamakura is the one figure from that wave I never found. I got two each of Night Adder and Red Fang, too.

Mind you, I didn't want Kamakura, but I knew everyone else does and wouldn't have passed on him.

Darth Jax
05-03-2010, 09:46 PM
i passed on kamakura the one time i saw it, as it was the only joe or SW fig on the shelves i needed/wanted. i hate going through the registers (even self-check @ wm) with only one item.

El Chuxter
05-03-2010, 11:02 PM
I gotta say, some of the Pursuit of Cobra stuff looks sweet, but, with the stuff that's been delayed and cancelled, I'm totally lost as to what's coming out.

I did pick up a couple of Flint in Cobra Disguise figures at Big Lots to make the "patriotic Cobras" from the old-new ongoing comic.

DarkArtist
05-04-2010, 01:31 PM
HissTank.com has pics up from JoeCon of the new Pursuit of Cobra figures including Lowlight and new verisons of Quick-Kick and Spirt for TRU. Totally loving the way these figures look. can't wait to get them in 2011

El Chuxter
05-04-2010, 01:51 PM
Dang.... If I'd known that Quick Kick was coming, I wouldn't have started making Billy out of Storm Shadow and Luke Skywalker parts.

Phantom-like Menace
05-06-2010, 11:34 AM
I've decided the movie-design Vipers (which I'll wind up with quite a few of, once I get a couple suits of the SNAKE Armor and the upcoming TRU pack) are, in my world, a specialized group of Vipers called "Death Adders." They're homicidal maniacs who joined up with Cobra to have an outlet, are too dangerous to keep housed with other Vipers, and have no real skills aside from their propensity for violence. They get specialized "skull" helmets and armor that they think looks cool, but costs much less than the uniforms for any other Viper subgroup and offer only minimal protection.

Thanks to $3-something figures at Target, I grabbed eight of the Vipers for my own squad of Death Adders.

RooJay
05-07-2010, 02:15 AM
I need a good 3 3/4" likeness of Rowan Atkinson so I can make a custom Death Adders leader, Codename: Black Adder.

Phantom-like Menace
05-07-2010, 05:31 AM
Got as far as the name Rowan and saw where that was going.;)

Maradona
05-07-2010, 08:41 AM
Is this the thread we can submit questions for Hasbro in? If so, "For years, Hasbro has stated that certain figures and larger vehicles could not be made unless they had sufficient entertainment support to justify the expense associated with bringing them to market. Now that Hasbro has more control over the entertainment with their new Hub channel, do they expect to use the programming to support the creation of larger vehicles?"

DarkArtist
05-17-2010, 12:52 PM
picked up an extra Baroness and Scarlett figure (non Camo version of Scarlett) at Target over the weekend for $2.45 each. might go back and pick up a couple extra of each for customizing.

might also pick up a couple of the Vipers as well but not 100% on that.

can't wait for the new Pursuit of Cobra figures to start hitting the shelves. so looking forward to some of these guys including the long overdo LowLight figure....now if only they would make a ARAH Dial Tone, Resolute Dial Tone (not the one we got in the ROC line), and a LifeLine figure I'd be set.

DarkArtist
05-17-2010, 12:55 PM
here's some pics of upcoming TRU Spirit and Quick Kick from Hisstank.com

Phantom-like Menace
05-17-2010, 06:18 PM
now if only they would make a ARAH Dial Tone, Resolute Dial Tone (not the one we got in the ROC line), and a LifeLine figure I'd be set.

I'm sensing you might be a Dial Tone fan. I used to have Lifeline, so I'd be pretty happy to see that too. It'd be pretty awesome to reproduce Christmas from my Fourth Grade year in Joe figures (even cooler if in vehicles). I think I only need Sci-Fi, Lifeline, and Iceberg if I recall correctly.

DarkArtist
05-18-2010, 07:25 AM
I'm sensing you might be a Dial Tone fan. I used to have Lifeline, so I'd be pretty happy to see that too. It's be pretty awesome to reproduce Christmas from my Fourth Grade year in Joe figures (even cooler if in vehicles). I think I only need Sci-Fi, Lifeline, and Iceberg if I recall correctly.

Dial Tone was one of my favorites as a kid. no matter what missions I planned out the following Joes were always there:

Dial Tone, LowLight, Sgt Slaughter, Flint, Lifeline, Sci-Fi, Recondo, Footloose, Dusty, Mutt & Junkyard, Law & Order, Snake Eyes, Jinx & Scarlett.

as far as wanting Dial Tone....definately in ARAH 25th style, as well as a Resolute Female Dial Tone (thought the concept was cool but the ROC figure was an absolute mess).

would defiantely love to see Hasbro tackle Sci-Fi and Footloose, along with Jinx and Law & Order, that would rock as well

El Chuxter
05-18-2010, 07:57 PM
The local Targets have the figures for $3.58 (a bit higher than yours, DA). However....

CHECK THE ENDCAPS AT YOUR LOCAL TARGET EVEN IF YOU'VE NOT BEEN DOING SO!! It looks like Target must've moved a lot of figures to the stockroom to make room for other stuff, and are moving them back onto the floor to be cleared out. I got some pretty choice figures today, including two Ice Vipers and another PP Snake Eyes (mostly for Timber ;)); there were still a few of each when I left. I know for a fact they weren't there three days ago.

El Chuxter
05-19-2010, 10:43 PM
Opened up my figures (was going to keep them carded for a bit, but my daughter collects the movie-styled filecards and insisted on getting them tonight). Most were duplicates of ones I'd already picked up, but I got a couple of Reactive Armor Dukes (with the movie Destro heads on, I've got a vision for some sort of BAT-like android developed by MARS to function as D's personal guards).

I've said before and I'll say again: it's really a shame the movie stunk the way it did, because these figures are almost all amazing. Guys like the Ice Viper, Paris Pursuit Snake Eyes, and the Cobra Commander figures (pre- and post-mask) are some of the best in the history of the Joe toyline.

I just used the FREESHIP20 code from Hasbro to finally order the Dragonhawk and that blue vehicle that looks like an update of the Snowcat.

RooJay
05-20-2010, 12:43 AM
I've said before and I'll say again: it's really a shame the movie stunk the way it did, because these figures are almost all amazing. Guys like the Ice Viper, Paris Pursuit Snake Eyes, and the Cobra Commander figures (pre- and post-mask) are some of the best in the history of the Joe toyline.

Agreed. In way it's worked out better that the movie seemed to put folks off of the figure line, as it's caused Hasbro to get away from that much sooner than I think they'd planned, and has got them onto some even better stuff! What's his face from the movie could've become The face of Duke from now until forever otherwise.

Darth Awgmon
05-20-2010, 11:24 AM
I just used the FREESHIP20 code from Hasbro to finally order the Dragonhawk and that blue vehicle that looks like an update of the Snowcat.

That blue vehicle, the Ice Dagger (formally the Ice Sabre), is awesome. It holds a ton of figures. I think you'll be impressed.

El Chuxter
05-31-2010, 08:21 PM
It is indeed awesome. Very awesome. I dig it.

BTW, I saw today at Ross a lone Cobra Gunship (red helmet version) for $15.99. I assume this means that at least the rest of the wave 1 large vehicles are hitting various Ross stores. I wouldn't be surprised if the smaller vehicles are as well, and the figures should be hitting closeout stores soon (particularly the movie Destro and Attack on the Pit Baroness).

At that price, I'd be seriously tempted to get another Cobra Hummer.

Did anyone ever figure out what, if anything, was supposed to attach to the roof of the Hummer?

Hunter119
06-01-2010, 12:10 AM
I thought the only thing that was supposed to attach to the roof (besides the canon that it came with) were figures. Specifically Snake Eyes to recreate the scene from the movie...

Maradona
06-03-2010, 12:00 AM
GO TO KMART!! I rarely, VERY RARELY, do given the distance to the nearest one, but did go on Monday morning. The GI JOE exclusive 4-pack was clearanced down to $12, which is still too high for those figures, but the special this week is 50% off clearance items. $6 for 4 figures. I picked up 8 packs for troop building/customizing. The store I visited still had another dozen on the floor and more, according to the lady in the department, in the back. I also picked up a Star Trek Transporter room playset to cannibalize for $7.50.

El Chuxter
06-03-2010, 08:17 AM
K-Mart's the closest store to me, and I still rarely check it out. I might have to, though, to see if this is universal.

El Chuxter
06-04-2010, 01:01 AM
And the Ice Dagger is now at Ross for $15.99, too. Dangit. I could've saved a few bucks.

Out of curiosity, has anyone noticed any of the Target deluxe figures being marked down? It seems odd they're clearing out the legions of Destro and Baroness, as well as the Night Raven, and already got rid of the PIT, RHINO, and Polar Battle Bear Then & Now... but haven't budged a bit on the deluxe figures and either size of standard vehicles.

El Chuxter
06-05-2010, 11:14 PM
Looks like it's just me here. :)

I can confirm that the Steel Crusher is indeed showing up at Ross. And now I have two.

figrin bran
06-06-2010, 01:10 AM
And the Ice Dagger is now at Ross for $15.99, too. Dangit. I could've saved a few bucks.

Out of curiosity, has anyone noticed any of the Target deluxe figures being marked down? It seems odd they're clearing out the legions of Destro and Baroness, as well as the Night Raven, and already got rid of the PIT, RHINO, and Polar Battle Bear Then & Now... but haven't budged a bit on the deluxe figures and either size of standard vehicles.

No, I haven't seen deluxes being marked down either. I might consider getting some if/when they do.

Darth Jax
06-06-2010, 10:43 AM
i have 2 sets of snake armor and would pick up several more if/when they get clearanced.

DarkArtist
06-06-2010, 10:55 AM
the only movie toys I've seen clearence so far have been the Night Raven and the figures... everything else is still full price.

El Chuxter
06-15-2010, 12:41 AM
Picked up the 12" Cobra Commander today for my daughter (who, seriously, asked for it). It's a mixed bag, but the good outweighs the bad. They cheaped out on the legs, which are rather lacking, and the torso, which is bare "flesh" with a strap-on armor plate. Luckily, the coat and an incredible job on the head more than make up for its shortcomings.

DarkArtist
06-16-2010, 02:57 PM
Thanks to Chux my 25th Anniversary Collection is complete... now to just set them all up and take a couple of pics for display...

thanks again Chux.:thumbsup:

El Chuxter
06-18-2010, 03:33 PM
No prob. :thumbsup:

In a small, rural town about two hours from Chicago, visiting my wife's family. There must not be any collectors around here. Went to Wal-Mart, and their clearance Joes included some of the rarer ones--Sgt Stone and several Breakers, among others. Their vehicles were three Mole Pods, three of the repainted Firebat (can't recall the name), and three of the Mantis Sub. I never saw the latter two at retail in California, I don't think.

Needless to say, I will make sure that I get by Target and see how their selection compares.

Maradona
06-30-2010, 01:17 PM
The next wave of GI Joes is available at HTS right now. Some figures are already sold out.

El Chuxter
07-01-2010, 06:55 PM
And, finally, one Target (out of four I've been to in two days) has finally marked down the Deluxe figures to $7. I snagged Grand Slam, Storm Shadow, and Wet Suit with their vehicles, as well as an extra CLAW and two extra SNAKEs. Passed on the Strato-Viper, since I have a ton of them and his jetpack sucks.

Also got the two ripcord vehicles, which were about $6.50. I'm hoping they'll look decent without the stupid ripcord devices.

figrin bran
07-10-2010, 11:51 PM
I finally saw those Deluxes on clearance at Target as well. I picked up Storm Shadow + cycle today. I'll probably get Wet Suit next time, if still available.

El Chuxter
07-11-2010, 07:34 PM
I guess we can just leave this thread in use and not start a "Pursuit of Cobra" thread?

Got the new Snow CAT (whatever it's called) and the HISS Mark 4,673 today. Also took advantage of the 25% off clearance and BOGO sales on Joes to get two more CG packs for less than $20. :cool:

El Chuxter
07-11-2010, 09:51 PM
Aaaaaand... For some strange reason, some jerk bought a brand spanking new HISS 5, removed the chassis assembly and a few of the guns, and took it back to the store.

Really, the &^%$ thing hasn't been out for a week. Is it asking too much for a week before the swappers start doing this junk.

And what the hell would anyone want with the chassis? I don't think it's compatible with any other toy.

RooJay
07-13-2010, 03:56 AM
I was surprised at how big the new HISS turned out! From the pics I saw before finding it, I actually expected it to be about half the size the assembled toy is! I honestly have no clue, after having put it together, how they'd managed to fit it into that tiny little box!:thumbsup:

JediTricks
07-13-2010, 03:10 PM
The Snow Cat, er, I mean "Wolf Hound" (stupidest rename ever) was at my local TRU with no shelf tag or space of any kind, it was sitting on top of movie vehicle boxes. My guess is an employee brought out the case and mostly it got snatched up, then someone said "this is the same damned toy my dad played with as a kid for 3x the money!!!" and put it down.
Aaaaaand... For some strange reason, some jerk bought a brand spanking new HISS 5, removed the chassis assembly and a few of the guns, and took it back to the store.

Really, the &^%$ thing hasn't been out for a week. Is it asking too much for a week before the swappers start doing this junk.

And what the hell would anyone want with the chassis? I don't think it's compatible with any other toy.Ugh, that really, really sucks. I hope you get your money back. I wish they'd fire their lazy employees who don't know collectibles need to be checked for that stuff.

El Chuxter
07-13-2010, 03:15 PM
I mentioned under the "repacking toys" thread that I had no issue--thankfully, the other two HISSes were still there. The lady at the counter even remembered the dude who brought it back. I hope this prevents him from returning further toys.

Looks like, as best I can tell, the guy got it for the ceremonial Cobra staff, which is packed with the cannons, and left those and the chassis out to fit it back in the box. (Even without the chassis and weapons, I had a hard time getting the other pieces back in.)

Wolf Hound Snow CAT looks to be mostly the same as the original, with a remodeled launcher. I've read it's all new, though, and, if so, they did a fine job of replicating the old one. It even has the Snow CAT logo on it, which looks nothing like a wolf, hound, or wolfhound.

El Chuxter
07-16-2010, 03:22 PM
Actually... after assembling my own HISS 5, I think the weapons were all taken because there are several spots for weapons so they can be placed in different locations on the vehicle. They don't look bad, but I can see some uber-anal collector wanting no exposed holes. There are also two slots for the flags, though it includes one.

Overall, I must say the HISS 5 is rather disappointing. The range of movement is not nearly what it looked to be in advance photos. It's not awful, but don't buy this for $25 under any circumstances. Even the (effectively) $18.75 I paid seems borderline pricey for this one. They did do a really sweet kitbash job on the new HISS Driver; I guess he'll be some sort of elite pilot or something since he's different enough from the old ones, though clearly the same basic design.

The Snow CAT is nice. Like I said, it looks like the old one, which a few very minor differences that only geeks who had both would even have a chance of picking up on (like resized foot pegs). The only drawback--if they had to remake it from scratch, as they supposedly did, why not scale it up? It's clearly still made for 3.75" figures, and even the included driver is too tall to fit in the cab.

Sort of a neat throwback to an obscure 2000 character (that I'd never heard of until looking up the name), Whiteout, even if his bio is practically nonexistent and he's just a repainted ROC Snow Job with a new head.

JediTricks
07-16-2010, 04:10 PM
Wow, I'm bummed to hear that about both. I love the Snow Cat, so hearing they redid it and it's still too small for the new figures, that's lame. As for the HISS, that's downright depressing.

Ando
07-16-2010, 05:41 PM
...but I can see some uber-anal collector wanting no exposed holes.

That's what she said.

DarkArtist
07-18-2010, 01:53 PM
picked up 2 Night Adders, Paris Pursuit Snake Eyes and Duke (military fatigues) at TRU yesterday with the BOGO sale... using the SE and Duke for parts to make custom Highlander figures of both Connor Macleod and Duncan MacLeod. hopefully I can pull these 2 figures off and be able to post pics of them soon.

El Chuxter
07-21-2010, 08:28 PM
TRU had the new Ghost Hawk and Dreadnok cycle (why didn't they have these last week when the sale was on?) and the new Quick Kick and Spirit figures. I'll wait on the vehicles. I'm not even sure I like the look of the Ghost Hawk.

I was going to pass on both figures, until I saw that Spirit has a new head that will be better for Kwinn than any I have so far.

Of the SDCC stuff, the Scout HISS and Cobra Shock Trooper look the sweetest to me. I'm sure there will be more to see as the Con progresses.

DarkArtist
07-25-2010, 10:35 AM
was shocked the last night at Walmart... they have all of the ROC figures (destro, Viper, Paris Pursuit Storm Shadow and Rex) all marked up, not down like Target and TRU but up to $9.99 per figure... I guess I won't be buying those anytime soon. so much for rollbacks more like rollups

DarkArtist
07-26-2010, 10:59 AM
bummed... been trying all morning to get a SDCC Sgt. Slaughter figure and no luck... Hasbro didn't put it up till almost 11:30 and by the time I was able to log back on it was already sold out... I logged off at 11:25 (not even on the website) and tried again at 11:31 and they were already sold out.:mad::mad: Not cool Hasbro.

DarkArtist
07-30-2010, 07:23 AM
spotted the TRU exclusive POC Spirit and Quick-Kick yesterday in East Brunswick.... thinking about getting Quick-Kick but the Spirit is going to be a pass for me, just not liking the sculpt and or design of the figure...

thinking about going back and getting the QK and perhaps the Artic Threat Doc figure as well but not 100% at the moment

JediTricks
07-30-2010, 04:15 PM
Picked up the new Pursuit of Cobra Snake Eyes at Target yesterday, left Duke, Snowjob, Beachhead, and a pair of Storm Shadows.

Snake Eyes is ok, but his web vest being turned into a leather jacket is a bit much for me. I love how they did his visor, it's a separate piece glued on the sides to the mask, and they painted eyes on the head underneath if you want to break it off. The belt is constantly unbuckling. The twin uzis seem to be designed to clip onto his jacket or belt loops around his legs, but don't really angle nicely when they do. The sword and scabbard are simple but very effective. The larger gun is eh. Timber is a little cartoony-looking with a simple eye paint and a much larger in the front than rear body design, and has a head-raising gimmick by pushing down his tail, though the head can't go as high this way as manually. It's an ok set, but I really don't know if I care enough about this series to keep going. The arm joints seem good, but the leg designs are still trying to have the classic design with modern knees and I think that fails every time. The head is a tiny useless ball joint with ugly sculpting that's hidden by the collar mostly. The torso is jointed under jacket and is essentially just a swivel since its movement restricted by the jacket, they gave him ZERO sculpting in the torso and that's a bummer.

There's something kinda fruity about Duke and Storm Shadow having no sleeves, and SS was just trying too hard to be different. Beachhead looked cool but way too similar to Snake Eyes in coloring and sculpt and accessories. Snow Job looked decent with lots of accessories but I passed because I got too many arctic-themed figures as a kid and don't want to go down that path again, but if I get into this line any more than it is, he'll be on my list. They didn't have the others, if they did, I would have bought the Alley Viper, I have always been a sucker for that one.

Darth Jax
07-30-2010, 06:40 PM
beachhead looks more like firefly should. don't know what's up with the mortal kombat mouthpiece that firefly sports.

spotted the POC figures at target today (next to the empty SW pegs). the aliens/robotech suits didn't catch my interest, so i left them behind. picked up some of the single carded figs and the dreadnok cycle. waffling on the ghosthawk.

Maradona
07-30-2010, 10:01 PM
Got my POC wave 1 case from BBTS yesterday. These are some intense figures. It's sad to think this level of quality Joes will be going away next spring to be replaced by the Renegades line.

El Chuxter
07-31-2010, 12:23 AM
Got Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes today. Left Beach Head--he looks sweet, but, well, he's another Beach Head.

I got Snake Eyes mostly for (what I thought was) the articulated Timber. Reading JT's comments on his gimmick makes me sad.

Storm Shadow, well, no way was I going to get it. Then I saw it, and no way could I pass. He's awesome.

Also got the leftover deluxe figures (Grand Slam and Wetsuit) for $2.48, and another Gunship for $6 and change.

Oh, and one local Wal-Mart still has wave 1 of the ROC figures. They marked them up to $9.99 within the past week! :eek:

El Chuxter
07-31-2010, 01:42 AM
Snake Eyes is a very nice figure. However, DO NOT LEAVE THIS STORM SHADOW ON THE PEGS IF YOU BUY A SINGLE GIJOE FIGURE!! Though I won't be using him as Storm Shadow, per se, this might be the single best figure to bear that name.

Sure, the history is off (samurai desert armor... WTF?), and the sheer amount of weaponry he carries is absurd (six, count them six swords, not counting the claws and the thing the filecard calls a manriki-gusari but I'm not 100% sure is because of the mace ends), but, holy crap, this is one beautiful figure.

I've got the claws stashed away, and have him holding the maybe-not-manriki-gusari with two swords (one long and one short) attached to the ends, and the other four swords in his backpack. Trust me, it looks sweet.

I shall call him the Cobra Voldemort Ninja. Why? Because no one speaks his name and lives.

figrin bran
07-31-2010, 01:56 AM
Well, I would have bought Storm Shadow last week during TRU's 2 for 9.99 sale but someone grabbed him and Alley Viper before me.

I had to settle for Firefly and Beachhead, both of which aren't that bad btw.

bigbarada
07-31-2010, 08:16 PM
I just found the POC figures today! First off, why are they $9.95? I thought for sure they would be cheaper than the Star Wars figures being as how GI Joe is Hasbro's own brand and all.

Anyways, it's a small issue, I got $1 off each one with my Walmart discount.

I only picked up Snow Job (the guy I've been looking forward to all year), Snake Eyes and Beachhead. Duke and Storm Shadow just looked to "comic booky" for my tastes.

Snow Job is awesome! I remember having the ARAH figure as a kid without any accessories whatsoever and boy was he a boring toy. I loved the fact that he was supposed to come with skis, poles, and a backpack that could hold it all; but mine was missing all of that. So this is kind of a consolation figure that makes up for all the disappointment that I felt with my beat up old Snow Job toy as a kid. He also has a ton of accessories that I would have gone totally crazy for back then too! (I absolutely love the bright red gas can! :thumbsup: )

Although, I would like to find a picture that illustrates exactly how all of his accessories are supposed to clip onto his backpack. There are a couple of items that I just can't seem to find a place for (mainly the frying pan looking accessory). My only small complaint is that I wish he came with a pistol for close range combat and not just the sniper rifle. Fortunately, there are figures like Beachhead who seem to have weapons to spare....

Beachhead is pretty cool. Although I can't say that I was ever really a big fan of his original action figure. I did like his character in the TV show though. Again lots of cool accessories and I really like the NBC (Nuclear, Biological, Chemical) mask.

Snake-Eyes is another Snake-Eyes. It's kind of sad that I'm becoming so jaded to this character considering how much I wanted an action figure of him as a kid and never saw one until the 1990s, long after I had graduated high school. I like Timber's "action feature" it's a nice way to avoid releasing yet another immobile Timber toy. I also really like how Snake-Eyes' uzis clip onto his flak vest. Not sure how I feel about his movable visor revealing his eyes yet; but overall, he's easily the best modern update of Snake-Eyes yet.

At $9 each (after my discount) I'm going to be very selective about who I buy from this line, but I'm definitely happy with what I have purchased so far.

bigbarada
07-31-2010, 08:41 PM
Oh yeah, the picture of the Snowcat on the back of Snow Job's card has me hopeful. Are we going to see the Snowcat released again in the POC line?

BTW, I don't like writing POC when describing these toys because it always sounds more like an acronym for "Piece Of Crap." :D

El Chuxter
07-31-2010, 09:16 PM
Snow CAT has already been released, under the name "Wolf Hound." It's a nice update, though a tad undersized since the figures are 4" and not 3.75".

However, you might not like what I say next.

I confirmed at several WM's that all Joe figures, ROC and POC, are ten bucks. I saw the entire set today. I even saw the chase Cobra Commander (who I would get for less, but he ain't no ten-dollar figure).

TRU and Target are a full $3 less. I got the two I have at Target and saw two Dukes today. Duke looks like butt.

The rest of the series is awesome. I'll probably pass on Snow Job and Firefly (and already did on Beach Head and Duke), but I'll grab a few of those Alley Vipers, who finally found a non-ridiculous color scheme. And, if he's not "Clear Wraith rare," I'll get Cobra Commander.

Oh, and I took advantage of the BOGO sale at TRU to get the Doom Cycle and Ghost Hawk (which is growing on me).

bigbarada
07-31-2010, 09:20 PM
Snow CAT has already been released, under the name "Wolf Hound." It's a nice update, though a tad undersized since the figures are 4" and not 3.75".

However, you might not like what I say next.

I confirmed at several WM's that all Joe figures, ROC and POC, are ten bucks. I saw the entire set today. I even saw the chase Cobra Commander (who I would get for less, but he ain't no ten-dollar figure).

TRU and Target are a full $3 less. I got the two I have at Target and saw two Dukes today. Duke looks like butt.

The rest of the series is awesome. I'll probably pass on Snow Job and Firefly (and already did on Beach Head and Duke), but I'll grab a few of those Alley Vipers, who finally found a non-ridiculous color scheme. And, if he's not "Clear Wraith rare," I'll get Cobra Commander.

Oh, and I took advantage of the BOGO sale at TRU to get the Doom Cycle and Ghost Hawk (which is growing on me).

That's weird that Walmart would charge so much more. However, considering how few of these figures I will likely buy combined with the fact that the nearest Target and TRU are more than an hour's drive away for me. I think I would waste more money driving to TRU and Target to save $2 per figure than just buying them at my local Walmart.

bigbarada
07-31-2010, 09:34 PM
I guess I should have checked the size of the new figures compared to my vintage Snowcat; but it's all packed up right now since I'm getting ready to move.

I would actually love to see a complete upgrade of the vehicle. Larger with more realistic/modern details, working treads, the full shebang.

El Chuxter
07-31-2010, 10:26 PM
Point seen about the drive. I've got a WM practically in my backyard, but it's lousy when it comes to toys, and I know for a fact they've got a few scalpers working there. :( So, to even get to a decent WM, I'm in the neighborhood of the other stores (and Targets seem to be more common in the cities than WM's around here for some reason).

Supposedly, the Wolf Hound is a completely new mold, and there are several minor details that aren't on the original, but the driver can't fit in the cab properly, and even two troopers on the back look too crowded.

I've got Beach Heads, Snow Jobs, and Fireflies out the wazoo; I'm at the point where they're becoming custom fodder. (My ROC Snow Job is already destined for an appointment with some paint to become Frostbite.) But these figures look really nice, and I'd get them if I didn't have plenty already. (I could see myself getting Firefly for that weird helmet eventually.) Snake Eyes looks like a vast improvement over most Snake Eyes; I think only the ROC Paris Pursuit Snake Eyes is really comparable. I already praised Storm Shadow (though I think of him as a separate ninja). Cobra Commander looks like the ROC mold with a new head; it looks sweet, but I didn't want to drop $10 on him (which I might regret) but will definitely get him at $7 or less, to be some weirdo background Cobra. (The ROC Cobra Commander mold is one of the best in the line's history, no joke.) Alley Viper looks like a straight-up repaint of the orange version from the Defense of Cobra Island set. Only Duke looks like a step backwards.

I've got to say one other thing right now: the Doom Cycle is sweet. The goofier features (pop-out blades) are easily concealed, and it makes an awesome Dreadnok cycle. Truth be told, if POC goes on clearance, I will army-build this, and switch the heads from Storm Rider with other figures to make a nice little gang of background 'Noks.

BTW, unrelated to POC, and probably far in advance, but I want a jump on things: if anyone sees the two Resolute sets on sale at Ross for less than $20 (and, mark my words, those sets will be at Ross for less than $20), and I haven't already reported finding them, I want one of each. I just don't think they're worth the online exclusive price for the few new figures.

And, doubtful but I'll ask anyway, if anyone doesn't want the Resolute Alley Viper from the Cobra set, I'll gladly take any off said person's hands. :D (I've got a feeling Alley Viper will be the draw of the set, though.)

El Chuxter
07-31-2010, 10:28 PM
Sorry for the double post (not really :D), but it occurs to me that a good head for a new Dreadnok (possibly even Zandar, if one were to take some liberties with the design) would be the new Duke.

bigbarada
07-31-2010, 10:36 PM
Okay, I will say that I really don't like these action stands at all. The logo is sculpted too high which requires the figures to stand on the balls of their feet with nothing to support their heels. Which creates problems for figures with heavy backpacks, like Snow Job. Are there any plain, flat, double-pegged action stands that will work for these figures?

JediTricks
08-01-2010, 02:26 AM
Finally saw that Ghost Hawk at TRU yesterday. How lazy are they that they covered over all but 1 of the windows? All they had to do was NOT paint over them! It looks more fun than the original, but no way I'm spending $18 for something that lazy.

This line is frustrating, the Hiss looks kinda cool but Chux says no. The Rage, one of my all-time favorites, is coming out but all it has new is new wheels. The Snow Cat is out, but hasn't changed enough. Figures spanning $7 to $10.

bigbarada
08-01-2010, 10:28 AM
Finally saw that Ghost Hawk at TRU yesterday. How lazy are they that they covered over all but 1 of the windows? All they had to do was NOT paint over them! It looks more fun than the original, but no way I'm spending $18 for something that lazy.

This line is frustrating, the Hiss looks kinda cool but Chux says no. The Rage, one of my all-time favorites, is coming out but all it has new is new wheels. The Snow Cat is out, but hasn't changed enough. Figures spanning $7 to $10.

It seems to me that Hasbro has no idea what to do with the GI Joe license right now. Do they cater to the adult collectors who have been around since the 1980s or do they cater to the fans lol of the lol lol lol movie...... lol lol lol lol (I'm sorry, I'm having trouble typing "fans of the movie" with a straight face) :D

Whatever happened to the plans for more Resolute type cartoons?

El Chuxter
08-01-2010, 10:53 AM
Renegades launches in October with the Hub Network. It's not Resolute, and is aimed at kids, but they've said it pulls no punches and has writers with credentials including Batman: The Animated Series.

Stupid thing is, for both this and Transformers: Prime (launching at the same time), they have no plans for toys! Hasbro buys a TV network, uses it to show old and new Joe and TF cartoons, and isn't going to take advantage in the toy aisles? Stupid.

"Daddy, I really wanted Snake Eyes from that cool new cartoon, but all I see is this completely unrelated Snake Eyes figure instead."

JediTricks
08-01-2010, 02:41 PM
Hasbro really doesn't have a direction for GI Joe, and that's part of why it's floundering. The problem is they're not interested in engaging audiences with a narrative the audiences can get behind, because they themselves don't know what the brand is saying. So the only thing they know how to do right now is look backwards and try to spin it modern. And they keep pushing vehicles that are making their own money back, which leads to higher pricepoints and smaller vehicles, but GI Joe is a line where vehicles used to sell oodles of figures, so this newer business model is a closed loop, a downward spiral.

El Chuxter
08-01-2010, 03:38 PM
It would probably help if anyone who got every unique figure (or at least every character) didn't wind up with armies of Duke, Cobra Commander, Destro, Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow, Firefly, and, for some bizarre reason I can't figure out, Grand Slam, Wild Bill, Copperhead, and Scrap-Iron.

JediTricks
08-01-2010, 04:12 PM
It would probably help if anyone who got every unique figure (or at least every character) didn't wind up with armies of Duke, Cobra Commander, Destro, Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow, Firefly, and, for some bizarre reason I can't figure out, Grand Slam, Wild Bill, Copperhead, and Scrap-Iron.
The problem is that, without the strong entertainment support of the cartoon to carry the narrative across to the key audience, Hasbro has to fall back on names and ideas that the casual consumers are somewhat familiar with - Duke, Snake Eyes, Destro, Storm Shadow, Firefly, Cobra Commander (and then they reinvent him so he's unrecognizable, but that's a different facet to this discussion). The idea that these armies of characters are unique and varied and each important is what SHOULD be driving it, but without strong narrative to carry them across, it's a smattering of an army behind some main characters.

As for Grand Slam, Wild Bill, Copperhead, and Scrap-Iron, I think that's just a case of using "characters" for pilots rather than nameless grunts. There's only been 7 or 8 of each over the years, except Wild Bill who there's been 15 because he's a fairly recognizable chap.

El Chuxter
08-01-2010, 09:28 PM
Three Grand Slams in as many years, all store exclusives, and all based on the same sculpt. Three Copperheads in two years. Scrap-Iron, yeesh, I can think of at least four, and think I passed on one or two.

Found some more figures at Target today. Curiously, there was one each of Duke, Storm Shadow, Alley Viper, and Cobra Commander. No points for guessing the two I got. :D My thinks are that since, in two days, I've seen three Cobra Commanders (two at WM's insane $10 price), he's going to be rare, but not excessively so.

Grabbed some more clearance doodads, too, like another Snake Eyes ripcord motorcycle and another Strato-Viper with the big honkin' jetpack.

And I saw the mechs at one Target. They look very nice. Just not GIJoe. That said, I'll probably eventually get the Cobra one. I can see them coming up with something crazy like that.

figrin bran
08-01-2010, 11:19 PM
I'm getting the feeling that distribution of POC at least at Target and their whooping 3 pegs dedicated for it, is going to be even worse than distribution for some waves of the 25th figures.

I can't imagine that Target did not look closely at sales of the movie figures and then dramatically cut back on orders for POC.

I went back to my local Target, hoping Storm Shadow was still there but both were bought already.

El Chuxter
08-02-2010, 12:39 AM
I've been to four Targets that had new stuff, and the amount varied pretty widely. It does look like what they're getting is selling better than the ROC toys.

But that's not why I am posting again.

Holy nuts, you guys are going to want to army-build the Alley Viper! I wasn't aware of this, but he comes with three helmets: gas mask, classic Alley Viper, and Resolute Alley Viper!

This fellow is freaking sweet! I must have more! I must!!

El Chuxter
08-02-2010, 04:17 PM
Sorry to monopolize the thread, but I'm wondering about the kneepads on several figures. I first noticed on the ROC Heavy Duty figures that he has one knee painted differently, as if it were a kneepad. It was definitely intentional, as it was repeated through various subsequent repaints.

Now, I've seen the same sort of thing on the POC Spirit and Duke figures. Except now, it's not just painted differently, but sculpted differently from the other knee.

It would seem to me that it would make more sense to have two kneepads. Is there an actual real-world explanation for why these figures would have this quirk?

JediTricks
08-02-2010, 04:22 PM
I hit WM yesterday, they had the whole line including the vibrant red COBRA card for CC. But guess who they didn't have? C'mon, guess. That's right, even at $10, the Alley Viper is too enticing to leave on pegs.

TRU had a few remnants, mainly Storm Shadow with wonky-painted eyes. He looks like the figure to have the most lost accessories of all time. :p

WM also had the Doom Cycle and Ghost Hawk at $15, but the Doom Cycle's sculpt looks pretty soft for the pricepoint, and the Ghost Hawk I want to buy but cannot justify all those painted-over windows at the price.

El Chuxter
08-02-2010, 05:24 PM
Dude, trust me, the Doom Cycle is worth the price. I'm serious; if it gets cheaper, I'm getting extra for all my Dreadnoks. (I like it for $15, but can't afford several of them for that.)

The fact that you've found a Cobra Commander, and the folks reporting in this thread have seen at least four in the two days the line has officially been out, makes me not too concerned. I like the figure quite a bit; I'm using him as a sort of Crimson Honor Guard, and hope to get another.

What's with the weird crank-gun he has, though?

JediTricks
08-02-2010, 09:28 PM
The only reason CC is findable right now, I suspect, is because WM has jacked up the price to $10.

El Chuxter
08-02-2010, 10:08 PM
I found him at Target, though. I read on a few sites that he's not much of a chase figure, being one per case. It also looks like CC will be in one of the revision cases, despite initial reports otherwise, though no one's clear if he'll still be on the Cobra card.

I think I said earlier, but they had one each of Storm Shadow, Duke, the Alley Viper, and Cobra Commander. My guess is the "chase" aspect will only appeal to hardcore adult completists (most casual and "semi-completist" collectors have given up on most of their silly chase figures, methinks), and kids won't care. Plus, he's just a repainted ROC figure. I was a little surprised to see how many Joe collectors loathe the figure; aside from the silly movie design, I thought it was one of the nicest figures in Joe history.

figrin bran
08-02-2010, 10:23 PM
I've been to four Targets that had new stuff, and the amount varied pretty widely. It does look like what they're getting is selling better than the ROC toys.

But that's not why I am posting again.

Holy nuts, you guys are going to want to army-build the Alley Viper! I wasn't aware of this, but he comes with three helmets: gas mask, classic Alley Viper, and Resolute Alley Viper!

This fellow is freaking sweet! I must have more! I must!!

I already have 3 Alley Vipers from the Cobra Island set but you've convinced me that I need more.

Maradona
08-03-2010, 11:27 AM
Renegades launches in October with the Hub Network. It's not Resolute, and is aimed at kids, but they've said it pulls no punches and has writers with credentials including Batman: The Animated Series.

Stupid thing is, for both this and Transformers: Prime (launching at the same time), they have no plans for toys! Hasbro buys a TV network, uses it to show old and new Joe and TF cartoons, and isn't going to take advantage in the toy aisles? Stupid.

At SDCC, I asked one of the Hasbro people working the GI Joe side of the booth about how long the POC line would last, in terms of maintaining the articulation style, before being replaced. According to him, the POC ends next spring to be replaced by a Renegades line, though he said he could not talk about it when I asked about it being cartoony or realistic. I imagine something similar will happen with TF:Prime.

El Chuxter
08-03-2010, 01:00 PM
Cool. I'm pretty sure at another recent convention, they said there were currently no plans, so it's good to know. Still, launching two shows in October, and not having any related toys until after Christmas sounds stupid.

El Chuxter
08-03-2010, 10:44 PM
Dude, saw three Cobra Commanders at WM tonight. This was at the local WM, where there are a ton of scalpers working for the place who get good stuff before it even hits pegs.

Only one Alley Viper, no Fireflies, and about six of everyone else. You be the judge as to who will be the true HTF figure here.

(Oh, and I confirmed that the dozen ROC Storm Shadows who were on clearance there for $2.48 three weeks ago are now $10. Go figure.)

DarkArtist
08-04-2010, 07:25 AM
still no sign of POC at any of the stores I have visited in the last couple of days, Walmart, Kmart, Target or TRU. hoping to spot something soon, going through withdrawals of not finding anything new within the last few months....

Phantom-like Menace
08-05-2010, 01:09 AM
Two of my three Targets (at least--haven't been to the third) have POC out. Pickings are slim right now. I've seen Snake-Eyes, Alley-Viper, Beachead, Stormshadow, and Snow Job with my own eyes. I've seen the Ghost Hawk, Doom Cycle, and mechs. My brother grabbed Beachhead for me and the Ghost Hawk for himself. I grabbed Snakes and an Alley-Viper.

I also bought up every clearanced Serpent Armor from Target in Ft. Lauderdale/Hollywood this last weekend and most--if not all of them--in Pensacola. That amounted to only four sets, but I only really wanted four sets. I'd like to check two more Targets soon, but I don't know if I'll be able to check more than one any time soon.

DarkArtist
08-05-2010, 08:03 AM
spotted only the Mechs in the Target in Milltown NJ...no sign of any of the figures or new vehicles which was sad....

at a local Walmart I spotted all of the new POC figures included the Cobra Commander but couldn't pull the tigger on the $9.99 pricetag for these when TRU is selling them for $6.99... I thought Walmart was supposed to be cheaper for merchandise....what happened....

El Chuxter
08-05-2010, 12:19 PM
They still had SNAKE Armor in Florida? Dang. Once those hit $2.48, I was able to get one extra each of Grand Slam, Wetsuit, and the Strato-Viper.

Course, I did snag two additional SNAKE suits at $7, so I've got a nice little deployment of them. Still, more is always better.

Honestly, at $3 or less, I'd buy any vehicle, especially one that comes with a figure. I even got two of the Snake Eyes ripcord motorcycle.

Phantom-like Menace
08-05-2010, 12:35 PM
The armors only hit clearance here fairly recently. I'm not sure where Targets here and there fit in Target's districts, spokes, etc., so I don't know if some regional person decided all at once to put them on or what, but I figure I got lucky with what I did get. I may try to hit a couple more Saturday, but I suspect I won't find anything.

Otherwise, yeah, two-something is a mighty tempting price even when you have absolutely no reason to get something. Hitting those Targets got me a total of five armors. One was opened enough that the stickers came out, so I'll probably repurpose that for AIM too. But I only wanted four anyway. Now If I'll just finally jump on the next $20 Night Raven I see to make it an X-Men Blackbird . . .

DarkArtist
08-06-2010, 08:16 AM
picked up my first 2 POC figures yesterday at TRU in Woodbridge NJ...Firefly and the Chase Cobra Commander.... Firefly looks awesome but I think I'm going to army build him instead and perhaps call him Elite Shadow Viper.... the 25th Anniversary Firefly is still the best version to date of this classic baddie.

figrin bran
08-06-2010, 11:16 AM
With POC Firefly, be careful with the arm shields! I've already stressed one of them from putting them on his arms.

El Chuxter
08-06-2010, 11:53 AM
I might eventually get Firefly. I've got more Fireflies than I can use, but the new helmet makes him look like a new character. I won't pay $10 for him, though, and he appears to be the true chase figure. :)

El Chuxter
08-06-2010, 10:02 PM
Picked up two A-Team vans and a Prince of Persia horse for my Joes at Target, for a grand total of about $15. I think it'll be cool to have the new Alley Vipers spilling out of the van, if I ever find more. :D The horse I plan to use for some sort of Cobra ceremonial display; if it's any good, I might get another.

Also got her some Last Airbender beast, a six-legged flying albino bison with a human face, judging from the text on the box. It's pretty sweet--far better than the figures from the line deserve, and, from what I hear, far better than the movie deserves. But I digress....

indyjones1981
08-07-2010, 03:56 AM
The ROC & POC GI Jones lines I do not care for. I will take GI Joe A Real American Hero Line vintage/25th Anniversary line any day of the week. Those are so much better than what Hasbro is coming out with now. I know the current stuff is in the reaistic form and not based on a cartoon. Does Hasbro know they are in the process of wrecking the GI Joe property toy wise again? Reminds me of what they did in 1995-96 with GI Joe Extreme. What a bad idea that was and the toys sucked.

Phantom-like Menace
08-07-2010, 09:57 AM
I don't really know that they're wrecking anything. Opinions almost everywhere I've read them are either positive or very positive.

I think the new figures are great. I would prefer a continuation of 25th Anniversary figures, but I can't argue that the new figures aren't cool, and they're light years beyond G.I. Joe Extreme.

That said, I'm really not liking anything they're doing with vehicles. I'd rather go through the expense and effort of refurbishing vintage stuff than buy the new ones.

figrin bran
08-07-2010, 08:24 PM
Chux, you were so right on about POC Storm Shadow! This is one of the best uses of soft goods that Hasbro has ever made.

I even bought a clearance Prince of Persia Dastan to go up against desert attire SS.

I also picked up an Alley Viper, Snake Eyes and Cobra Commander today.

El Chuxter
08-07-2010, 09:02 PM
Got a Firefly and two more Alley Vipers today. I'm noticing Cobra Commander starting to dry up a bit, even at Wal-Mart.

I've seen the mechs at about half the Targets I've been to. I'm wondering if they'll go on clearance. I'm iffy about getting even one for $20. For even $12, though, I'd get a couple.

Phantom-like Menace
08-07-2010, 09:37 PM
I grabbed a clearance Night Raven to sub as an X-Jet. I'm fairly disappointed with it at $20, so I can only imagine I would have been horribly disappointed at the original price.

I'm still hoping I can find some more PoC figures soon. I'm torn on getting a squad of Alley-Vipers. It'll be nice, but it'll be such a damned shame not to have a squad of 25th Alley-Vipers . . . though I still may try to get enough over time eventually.

figrin bran
08-07-2010, 09:38 PM
The backpack with the notch to keep the grappling gun in place makes such a difference on the Alley Viper.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to find more so I'll use the one I have as an Alley Viper squad commander for the 3 orange ones I have.

El Chuxter
08-08-2010, 12:27 AM
Firefly looks awesome but I think I'm going to army build him instead and perhaps call him Elite Shadow Viper....

Not me! I'm army-building him and calling him "Cobra Heavy Ordnance Specialist." I had no idea until I opened him that the other helmet is a second head, which means a new take on the classic masked head for custom fodder. :)

This figure is bloody sweet, too. The only drawback is the way the backpack hangs, but I used the twisty tie that was holding his rifle on his leg in the packaging to secure it. All the POC figures I've gotten (minus Tomahawk, who's just a kitbash of older figures) are so amazing, it actually makes me tempted to get all of them, even the characters I already have too many of.

El Chuxter
08-08-2010, 01:00 AM
Sorry to be double-posting all over the place tonight. My excitement led me to open the Spirit. It's actually, I think, a shame that I got him for custom fodder and have no use for a Jungle Spirit.

I might get a second one, to make a Devil's Due-styled Spirit (with the black jumpsuit), and use the bodies of both to make Sierra Gordan revolutionaries.

figrin bran
08-08-2010, 02:11 AM
I wouldn't mind army building Firefly but seeing as how there are going to be great army builders in the Shock Troopers and the Jungle Vipers, I better hold off. If the jungle coverings are removable, then I'll want even more of those Vipers.

I'm so thrilled with the POC figures I have that I'm actually considering getting a HISS.

Phantom-like Menace
08-08-2010, 09:37 AM
The backpack with the notch to keep the grappling gun in place makes such a difference on the Alley Viper.

I can't get it to stay on. On the original 25th version, I used one of the clear rubber bands to attach the gun. On this version, the gun fits so poorly on the peg, that even with a band attached to it, the peg prevents the gun from staying on. I'm considering breaking the peg off.

RooJay
08-10-2010, 01:25 AM
I wouldn't mind army building Firefly but seeing as how there are going to be great army builders in the Shock Troopers and the Jungle Vipers, I better hold off. If the jungle coverings are removable, then I'll want even more of those Vipers.

I'm so thrilled with the POC figures I have that I'm actually considering getting a HISS.

I highly recommend the HISS! I absolutely love the design, it's very well engineered and put together, has a ton of detail, and I was totally surprised at how huge it turned out to be once I got mine assembled! I still can't fully grasp how they got all that plastic to fit into such a tiny box. I have to say that I think this may actually be one of my favorite all-time Joe vehicles in this size range!

El Chuxter
08-10-2010, 01:47 AM
I highly recommend the HISS! I absolutely love the design, it's very well engineered and put together, has a ton of detail, and I was totally surprised at how huge it turned out to be once I got mine assembled! I still can't fully grasp how they got all that plastic to fit into such a tiny box. I have to say that I think this may actually be one of my favorite all-time Joe vehicles in this size range!

You must be the anti-Chux. :D I thought it was a great idea, poorly executed. If I hadn't gotten it during one of TRU's BOGO sales, I would've felt ripped off.

figrin bran
08-10-2010, 10:10 PM

Hmm...consider me almost sold on one! I'll just wait for some sort of sale be it at Target or TRU.

El Chuxter
08-10-2010, 10:23 PM
Anyone have any experience with the Avatar (blue guys, not Last Airbender) vehicles? Are they well-made, and do they work with Joes? I saw a mech suit that would complement the Cobra mech nicely.

Speaking of which, someone returned one with the Cyber Viper switched out for an AVAC (from the Firebat). Why? Switch a nice figure with another nice figure. If it'd been marked down, I would've gotten it anyway, but it wasn't.

Also, anyone familiar with the 1:18 scale Abrams tank Target is selling for $29.99? That looks like it'd go with Joes pretty nicely, too.

RooJay
08-11-2010, 02:16 AM
You must be the anti-Chux. :D I thought it was a great idea, poorly executed. If I hadn't gotten it during one of TRU's BOGO sales, I would've felt ripped off.

What was your problem with it? I couldn't imagine anything having been done better on this one.

Anyone have any experience with the Avatar (blue guys, not Last Airbender) vehicles? Are they well-made, and do they work with Joes? I saw a mech suit that would complement the Cobra mech nicely.

I've got all of them - mostly with the intention of using them with my Joes, though I did buy all the Avatar figures as well. They're very nicely detailed, but the scale is slightly smaller. The mech suit can hold modern Joes easily, but they'll be a little more cramped than the Avatar figures. Honestly though, the Avatar figures tend to bounce around a bit in the mech suit. The RDA Grinder is really nice, and actually looks a little better scaled for the four inch GI Joe figures. The Scorpion gunship will fit a GI Joe figure, but it takes some doing to get them in there and the cockpit closed up.

Also, anyone familiar with the 1:18 scale Abrams tank Target is selling for $29.99? That looks like it'd go with Joes pretty nicely, too.

Got that one too! It's an awesome toy! I just wish I could find some decently sized GI Joe stickers to put on it...

Phantom-like Menace
08-11-2010, 06:25 AM

Some figures fit well, others not so well. The first time I tried one, all I had on hand was a Night Creeper. He fit with no problem. Later I tried to slap Lift Ticket in one, and he wouldn't go in no matter how I tried to get him in.

My brother is looking to get one of these, and I suspect I'll like it well enough to get one myself. I wish I had the money to get one when Target and TRU had the Elite Force 1:18 vehicles a few years ago. I have the 1:18 Black Hawk and Apache and really like them. He wants to grab the Bradley too, but he's curious if the toy really works as a troop carrier.

El Chuxter
08-11-2010, 08:47 AM
My main problems with the HISS are the difficulty in shifting "modes" (the pieces tend to stick) and the way the treads rub against the tank itself in the down position. Also, it would be nice to have more than two cannons, since there are about six thousand holes in it, but that's a minor detail. Would've been nice if there'd been at least one clear window, since they made such a nice HISS Driver update.

I don't regret getting it, but $25 seems a bit much for it. (However, upon further review, it is big, regardless of its flaws, and vehicles are getting more expensive overall.)

Thanks for the input on the other stuff--they looked cool, but just expensive enough that I wanted some info. The Avatar suits I saw at a Mattel store, so there was no way to compare them with Joes, and I couldn't tell if the Abrams had features or was a brick. I'll probably get both, as well as the Cobra mech suit (and the second, if the second wave gets released). Even if I wind up getting the Joe mech suits, I'll re-purpose them for Cobra--the mechs look like the slightly futuristic thing Cobra would cook up, but they don't gel with the Joe team for me.

El Chuxter
08-12-2010, 12:51 AM
I scored a second Cobra Commander today, leaving another on the shelf. All that were left were Dukes, Stormies, Snakes, and the other CC.

I also found a coupon for 50% off at the local Mattel store, and think I'll stop by again and get the Avatar mech in the next couple of days before it expires. I saw the Joe mechs at TRU, too, so I'll probably get one (and maybe two, or a second Ghost Hawk) during the next BOGO sale.

RooJay
08-12-2010, 03:08 AM
I think if anything my HISS tank tends to pop up too readily. I'm a bit demanding than some when it comes to toys, though so I saw that as a very minor issue.

I should've pointed put that the Abrams doesn't have much room inside for figures - actually only the hatches themselves hold figures, and there's no real interior. Still, a very nice toy.

I actually never cared much for the design of that Cobra Commander figure until I saw it in person in the new color scheme (I do own both versions.) Something about that paint app really makes that design work for me.

figrin bran
08-17-2010, 01:29 AM
POC Duke seems to be the pegwarmer at my local stores which is a shame because it's a great figure.

I got Snow Job yesterday after passing him up twice. Now if only Spirit and Quick Kick would show up at any of my local TRUs.

Maradona
08-17-2010, 11:08 AM
The new HISS is a strong idea and I bought 2 during the BOGO days, but when I finally got around to building one on Sunday. I was not as impressed as I wanted to be. The vehicle seems incomplete, like in the design phase there was more added that got removed before final production. Additionally, there is an overabundance of stickers to adhere and so many of them are miniscule and unnecessary. I like being given extra letters and numbers to customize with. I liked the vehicle, overall, but I wanted to enjoy it more.

El Chuxter
08-18-2010, 07:23 PM
Though it's sad to see consensus on the one hand, it's nice to have confirmation there's nothing actually wrong with my HISS... at least not anything that's not wrong with all of them.

RooJay
08-19-2010, 01:55 AM
I guess I'm the only person who found a good one?

DarkArtist
08-20-2010, 09:20 AM
posted over at Hisstank.com:

possibly some good news for those of us who missed out on the SDCC Sgt. Slaughter figures:

From Hasbro PR:

To the G.I. JOE fan community,

The passion displayed since Comic-Con on fan-forums regarding the special edition Sgt. Slaughter figures has been truly remarkable. It proves that there is a huge appetite to see this character in action figure form and we’re thrilled that the designs were so well received. We know the Sarge himself, who you may have had the chance to meet in the Hasbro booth at Comic-Con, would be honored to see such an outpouring of support and desire for this special edition figure in his likeness.

We understand there has been a misperception that Hasbro Toy Shop did not offer the primary or variant versions of the figure on the website after Comic-Con as has recently been tradition. This is not true. As publicized prior to the convention, there were indeed a limited number of Sgt. Slaughter figures (both variant and primary) available after the show; a reserve set aside specifically for HasbroToyShop.com as there is with all of our special edition figures.

Due to the overwhelming popularity, the figures sold out extremely fast. While we cannot provide a number of how many were available for practical business reasons, we do understand the frustration of those fans who were hoping to purchase the Comic-Con figures online after the convention. However, the very nature of these special edition figures dictates that they will be made in very limited quantities and availability cannot be guaranteed. Again, coupled with a strong demand for these figures, the supply available at both the convention and online afterwards went incredibly fast. Our primary goal is to make as many figures available at the show for the convention attendees. We are glad that we are also able to make some figures available online to those not able to make it to San Diego, but again, this quantity is limited.

It is important to note that the best opportunity to obtain these special edition figures is at the convention itself.

While we cannot guarantee anything at this time, because of the demand by fans who could not get the Comic-Con figures, we are looking at making the Sgt. Slaughter figures available again at retail, albeit in different packaging and likely not as single-carded basic figures. While details are not final we are making progress for late Spring ’11 and will have news in a couple months. We look forward to updating you then.

Thank you once again for the enthusiasm and support.

Sincerely,

The G.I. JOE brand team

El Chuxter
08-20-2010, 09:57 AM
Awesome news. Thanks to a friend who was at the Con the entire time, I got one (Triple-T variant, which fits better with my Joe collection), but I know he sold out well before the Con was over and this frustrated a lot of folks. It makes sense, both in keeping fans happy and in getting the most mileage out of a sculpt they most likely had to pay a royalty to use.

Wonder what the chances are of seeing a figure without the shades?

figrin bran
08-23-2010, 12:44 AM
POC wave 2 is starting to appear in SoCal Targets.

I didn't find any however.

El Chuxter
08-23-2010, 01:19 AM
If my sources (quick Google search) are correct, this wave is:

Zartan: Likely pass. Not different enough from the basic Zartan from the 25th line.
Recondo: Maybe. Nice figure. Not Recondo, but a nice figure.
Destro: Probably. This figure looks sweet.
Dusty: Maybe. Definitely not Dusty, but the figure is nice-looking.
Jungle Viper: Probably. I'm not as crazy about it as everyne else seems to be, but it's cool.
Snake Eyes: No. He looks goofy, and, IIRC, this is the one with "karate chop action" or some such crap. I'd only get it for custom fodder IF folks online report that he can be disassembled same as any other Joe without the feature impeding this.

So mostly "probably" and "maybe," with one firm "no." Not a strong wave, IMO.

DarkArtist
08-23-2010, 10:23 AM
If my sources (quick Google search) are correct, this wave is:

Zartan: Likely pass. Not different enough from the basic Zartan from the 25th line.
Recondo: Maybe. Nice figure. Not Recondo, but a nice figure.
Destro: Probably. This figure looks sweet.
Dusty: Maybe. Definitely not Dusty, but the figure is nice-looking.
Jungle Viper: Probably. I'm not as crazy about it as everyne else seems to be, but it's cool.
Snake Eyes: No. He looks goofy, and, IIRC, this is the one with "karate chop action" or some such crap. I'd only get it for custom fodder IF folks online report that he can be disassembled same as any other Joe without the feature impeding this.

So mostly "probably" and "maybe," with one firm "no." Not a strong wave, IMO.

gotta say Chux almost completely agree with you description of Wave 2 but I'm looking forward to seeing the Zartan figure...not too interested in Destro though...

might get Recondo and Dusty to use as generic Joes, and have to see what accessories that Snake Eyes comes with before making my decision... really looking forward to the 2011 figures though....Shock Trooper, Lowlight and the Snake Eyes from that wave.

figrin bran
08-23-2010, 10:58 AM
I'll get Recondo, Dusty and at least 2 Jungle Vipers. Meanwhile, I'm still working on finding Quick Kick and Spirit. My local TRU has zero POC figures on the pegs and has not restocked since they had that BOGO sale weeks ago.

figrin bran
08-28-2010, 11:05 PM
I found POC wave 2 at my local Target this morning and bought all of them except for gimmick Snake Eyes.

I've not opened all of them yet but the Jungle Viper is pretty awesome. At SDCC, it looked like the camo coverings and the attachment points for them might be cumbersome and unwieldy but that's not really the case.

On Dusty, it looks like they're using the same fabric from the VTSC Tusken. I actually like the figure better without that fabric and with the alternate head. Even if you guys don't want to use him as Dusty, he makes a pretty good desert grunt.

DarkArtist
08-30-2010, 01:00 PM
have yet to see any signs of wave 2 at retail...hopefully these figures start shipping to Jersey soon...looking forward to getting a Jungle Trooper.:thumbsup:

El Chuxter
08-30-2010, 05:48 PM
I'm still working on finding Quick Kick and Spirit. My local TRU has zero POC figures on the pegs and has not restocked since they had that BOGO sale weeks ago.

have yet to see any signs of wave 2 at retail...

http://sadtrombone.com/

(Don't worry. I think we're all playing that tune right now.)

El Chuxter
08-30-2010, 11:42 PM
Well, it had to happen. Tonight I saw basic ROC figures at Ross for $3.99. Well, one figure. It was Dr. Rex (black coat version, of course--I've never seen the white coat version at all) on an international card with about 600 languages.

figrin bran
08-31-2010, 12:48 AM
have yet to see any signs of wave 2 at retail...hopefully these figures start shipping to Jersey soon...looking forward to getting a Jungle Trooper.:thumbsup:

They've only been showing up at Target thus far so they should trickle out there pretty soon.

Darth Jax
08-31-2010, 06:30 PM
actually saw (and purchased) the new HISS at wal-mart last nite. Course it was on the shelf right next to the 3 pegs they still have full of the movie figures and a lone POC storm shadow.

El Chuxter
08-31-2010, 09:30 PM
I saw the remnants of Wave 2: two Snake Eyes, two Destros, and a Zartan. These were easy to pass on. Destro looks like a festering dump in person; while I could see customization potential for both him and Zartan, I don't have anything in mind. And I have a feeling, since there were two left and no one seems interested, Destro's not exactly going to be the toughest one to find.

Also saw three movie figures at another Ross (black coat Rex, armored Duke, and armored Ripcord). And the Joe helicopter (whatever it's called). I might get me a second one at $12.99. I think I could freakin' army-build Wild Bill already, though.

cha gio (http://www.vovinam-via.org/cookbook9.htm)

figrin bran
08-31-2010, 11:22 PM
I didn't think POC Destro was that bad. And besides, they just hit so I'd hardly call them pegwarmers at this point.

Phantom-like Menace
09-01-2010, 01:32 AM
I really haven't looked at Destro. As far as I'm concerned, his classic look and Iron Grenadiers looks are all I'll really need of him, though I did get the alternate black head when I saw it. Maybe if they ever had an unmasked version I might get it.

DarkArtist
09-01-2010, 01:14 PM
spotted some of wave 2 yesterday in Target in Edison...picked up Dusty and Zartan and left Snake Eyes and Destro... Zartan is a nice figure defiantely worth picking up... Dusty is a nice addition as well and makes a nice Desert Grunt but not sure what I'm going to do with the barb wire coil that he comes with.

El Chuxter
09-01-2010, 06:44 PM
Saw the full wave today. The Destros had much better paint application, so I reneged on my vow to not get him. How the paint is situated on his noggin makes a world of difference.

Jungle Viper I've not opened (haven't opened any yet, actually :)), but he feels pretty heavy in the case. Like Ephant Mon heavy.

I was going to pass on Zartan again, but then I looked more closely at his accessories, and I actually said out loud (to the confusion of my daughter), "Raptor!!" Yes, it may be heresy, but I bought one of the coolest Cobra characters so I could make one of the lamest. Wound up with all of them aside from Snake Eyes, since I figure the line will be (unfortunately) short. Still need a Beach Head (maybe) and Duke, but I see them every so often and am not too concerned. Truth is, the Duke I want more to create a custom background Dreadnok for a second Storm Rider.

Gotta say, I want to see some reviews on how the action feature works and if the parts can still be used to make customs, but the accessories with Snake Eyes almost make me want him.

Also, more 25th stuff is shipping to Marshalls and TJMaxx. I got a red-bandana Cobra Trooper and (yet another) Viper vs Iron Grenadier today. In building a respectable contingent of Vipers, I'm amassing quite the private army for Destro on the cheap as well. Also crap-tons of the larger ROC Snow CAT update (not the POC one that actually is the Snow CAT, but the blue one--Ice Sabre?) and the ROC chopper (with Wild Bill #4,875) are at both the Marshall's family of stores and Ross for $12.99.

I'll post thoughts on these figures later, after I do some grocery and early Christmas shopping. Provided, of course, I can still find another recipe for cha gio to link to randomly in homage to the weirdo spammers. lol

cha gio (http://www.globalgourmet.com/destinations/vietnam/chagio.html#axzz0yK9r8dkb)

RooJay
09-02-2010, 02:28 AM
Agreed about the paint apps on Destro - I bought the first one I saw, and was kind of disappointed when I opened him as his head was almost entirely white. I've seen several more with much better paint since, and they look so much better. I really wish I'd waited.

As for Snake-Eyes' action feature - it's really not very intrusive at all. There's a tiny button under his arm (in fact, I hadn't even realized there was an action feature when I first opened him) and he's even still poseable - you can actually still twist his waist to pretty much any desired position without enaging the mechanism and it'll stay. That said, I've come to think that he's kind of an ugly figure now that I have him, and not a very good, or useful design for Snake-Eyes. His accessories are a bit oversized as well.

I also think Recondo is a great looking figure except for one slight flaw - his head is situated in such a way on his neck joint that he's stuck perpetually looking down. I was thinking that if I trim away a bit of the plastic from under the back of his head that I might be able to fix it, though. Dusty is really cool as well, but I think his neck is a bit too long; especially without his scarf and cape thingie. Might try fixing that as well.

El Chuxter
09-03-2010, 02:16 PM
Okay, maybe not Ephant Mon heavy. I checked, and he's still way off that mark.

Jungle Viper is a very nice figure. I'm considerably less apepoop about him than most people seem. He's an awesome, awesome toy; he just doesn't feel especially GIJoe to me--he's sort of the limit of how asinine Cobra would get with their technology. I actually think he'd be a better figure without the ghillie suit, except he has a couple of huge knobs on his arms to attach part of it. (Looking over the rest of the figure, I'm considering getting a second one for custom parts; aside from the arm issue, I'm getting a nice ninja vibe from the pieces.)

Definitely don't need a second to display as a Jungle Viper. I'll get Shadow Tracker to hang out with this guy, but I'm still far more excited about the relatively plain Cobra Shock Trooper.

They really need to start including instructions, or at least a photo of the fully-armed figures.

cha gio (http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=152875640080)

figrin bran
09-03-2010, 09:54 PM
Chux, those knobs on the JV's wrists are rather rubbery so you could just slice them off with an x-acto if you so choose.

I would consider it if I could ever find another one which is doubtful considering I only saw one POC Alley Viper. For my local stores, I can only rely on Target for POC as the TRU's have not restocked since late July when they first hit.

RooJay
09-08-2010, 06:12 PM
I think the Jungle Viper is a very cool figure, but I question how practical that gear would be in an actual jungle. The overall bulk of all that stuff must make it pretty hard to navigate any decent jungle setting, and the incredibly long (albeit very cool looking) scope setup that attaches to his mask doesn't seem like it'd work very efficiently with all the trees I'd imagine obscuring the view in a jungle. I suppose I'll have to rename mine to signify a more appropriate military function...

figrin bran
09-08-2010, 08:31 PM
I found POC Quick Kick and Spirit Iron Knife at TRU today. I noticed QK didn't have great paint apps and while I was trying to pick out the best one, this guy comes along and takes all of them from the pegs. Didn't even touch the Jungle Vipers so he's definitely not an army builder.

El Chuxter
09-08-2010, 08:43 PM
Whadda douche. I wonder if he was related to the jerkhole who swiped all the Vintage figures off the pegs right in front of me at TRU that time.

Has anyone bought any of the mechs? I'm wondering if they're worthwhile. I keep seeing Cobra ones that are damaged in a way that looks like someone tried to get the pilot (Cyber Viper?), or returned him with something else in the slot. So I'm guessing I'm not the only one who thinks he looks cool.

nuoc mam (http://southeastasianfood.about.com/od/marinadesdipss5/r/VietnamDipSauce.htm)

figrin bran
09-09-2010, 01:25 AM
Whadda douche. I wonder if he was related to the jerkhole who swiped all the Vintage figures off the pegs right in front of me at TRU that time.

Has anyone bought any of the mechs? I'm wondering if they're worthwhile. I keep seeing Cobra ones that are damaged in a way that looks like someone tried to get the pilot (Cyber Viper?), or returned him with something else in the slot. So I'm guessing I'm not the only one who thinks he looks cool.

nuoc mam (http://southeastasianfood.about.com/od/marinadesdipss5/r/VietnamDipSauce.htm)

Probably is related to that jerkhole. Who needs 5 Quick Kicks anyhow? He didn't even touch the Spirits which I thought was strange considering his hoarding of QK.

Phantom-like Menace
09-10-2010, 12:25 AM
He could be a customizer. Quick-Kick wears sneakers rather than boots, and a lot of people want them.

El Chuxter
09-10-2010, 08:23 AM
Yesterday, I saw K-Mart had a Steel Crusher on clearance.

It was $22. Marked down from $29.

Even with their 30% off clearance sale, it was more than I got any of mine for.

Really, how do they stay in business?

goi cuon (http://www.squidoo.com/vietnam-spring-roll)

figrin bran
09-10-2010, 05:34 PM
K-mart must sell a ton of stuff in their other departments because it sure can't be toys that's keeping them in business.

A few POC wave 2 figures are starting to hang longer on the pegs now...Destro, SE, Zartan and Dusty. Even the repack of SE from wave 1 hangs on the pegs.

RooJay
09-11-2010, 02:30 AM
K-mart must sell a ton of stuff in their other departments because it sure can't be toys that's keeping them in business.

A few POC wave 2 figures are starting to hang longer on the pegs now...Destro, SE, Zartan and Dusty. Even the repack of SE from wave 1 hangs on the pegs.

So they're finally starting to have a presence on shelves?

figrin bran
09-13-2010, 09:54 PM
So they're finally starting to have a presence on shelves?

That would seem to be the case.

I got my Resolute Joes and Cobra sets in the mail today!

DarkArtist
09-17-2010, 08:21 AM
That would seem to be the case.

I got my Resolute Joes and Cobra sets in the mail today!

still have yet to order the Resolute sets...waiting till November so i can give to myself as a birthday gift.lol:D

figrin bran
09-17-2010, 10:59 AM
If those Resolute sets had been released a year ago, I would be going crazy over them. But they pale a bit in comparison to the POC figures.

I'll try to post more thoughts about them later on but for starters, Scarlett's head is oversized but the Alley Viper is great and leaves me wanting more of them.

El Chuxter
09-21-2010, 01:10 PM
Another site is reporting (with photo evidence) that Ross has received the final wave of 25th Anniversary vehicles for $8.99 each.

I plan to get at least a an extra Stinger and FLAK Cannon for that price. I'd been doing a good job of not picking up tons of extra stuff at Ross, but, dang, I doubt I can pass on those.

pho tai (http://www.deafchefatlarge.com/2010/02/pho-tai-recipe.html)

El Chuxter
09-21-2010, 09:37 PM
Aaaaaaand.... I can confirm this, having lucked out at the very first Ross I stopped at today. Scored a second Arctic HISS, Stinger, and FLAK/CLAW, and left a Ghost Hawk, Stinger, and FLAK/CLAW for someone else.

Also bought the TRU exclusive Joe set. I figure they'll make good custom fodder and/or background Joes.

Phantom-like Menace
09-21-2010, 11:26 PM
Also bought the TRU exclusive Joe set.

Which one is that?

El Chuxter
09-22-2010, 12:31 AM
Oh yeah, my bad. :) The one with Footloose, Lady Dial-Tone, Zartan, Law & Order, and some heavy machine gunner I don't remember from the original (Repeater?). Haven't seen the Cobra equivalent at Ross.

figrin bran
09-22-2010, 01:44 AM
I've seen the Cobra TRU exclusive set at Ross last week. Now I guess I'll have to return for some of those vehicles (hopefully)

DarkArtist
09-22-2010, 08:45 AM
really wish i had some of these Ross stores out here in Jersey...would definately pick up an extra stinger as well as an extra flak cannon set. the marshalls by me never have anything good.

Phantom-like Menace
09-22-2010, 11:28 PM
Oh yeah, my bad. :) The one with Footloose, Lady Dial-Tone, Zartan, Law & Order, and some heavy machine gunner I don't remember from the original (Repeater?). Haven't seen the Cobra equivalent at Ross.

Very nice. I was hoping it might be this set but figured it had been too long since it came out.

I decided against getting that one, because I was so annoyed that they went out of their way to make 25th versions of the classic costumes then made them all desert troops instead of doing them in their classic colors. Later I decided I might pick it up, theoretically to customize them to their old colors, but in practice to throw them on the project pile and never get around to it.

I guess I'll be swinging by some Ross stores in hopes of picking this up.

Maradona
09-23-2010, 01:03 AM
I hit 5 Ross/Marshalls today and only found 2 Artic Hisses. There were multiple Sky Hawks and FLAKs, but nary a Stinger was to be found tonight. I picked up both of the TRU sets and was tempted to add a couple of Mole Pods, but did not. I kept hoping in vain that I'd stumble across a Lava Pod/Volcano Viper, but no luck. I've yet to see one at retail (or at clearance, considering it was Ross).

Additionally, I recommend visiting Big Lots. Lots of cool, cheap Power Team Elite stuff has been stocked. I'm looking for the city in ruins (forgot what it was called) playset. It took me almost 2 years to find their command headquarters. I picked up 2 watch towers and 4 SWAT figure/diorama sets.

El Chuxter
09-26-2010, 09:35 PM
Marshall's had one blue ROC Firebat today for $9.99, making it $3 cheaper than the one I saw last week at Ross, which is a bit unusual. They also had the only comic pack that was left (Wild Bill vs Scrap-Iron) on clearance for $5. Not sure if this would be the case at other locations, or if it would apply to other comic packs.

figrin bran
09-26-2010, 10:27 PM
I found one Arctic HISS, now in my possession, at a local Ross today. No sign of any of the other vehicles though.

El Chuxter
09-28-2010, 11:22 PM
One local Target marked the small (Alpha?) POC vehicles down to $13.09, with a yellow sticker that said "Price Reduction" and had no ending date, about two weeks ago. Went by there today, and they'd marked them up to $16.99, higher than they were originally. :mad:

Also saw a WM today that, no joke, had the mech suits on clearance already. Trouble is, they only had one, and it was the Joe model. It was also only $15, which I figure is what they'll be when the inevitable "buy one, get one half off" sale at TRU materializes in the next month or so. Those things don't seem to be selling, likely because this line hasn't caught on with kiddies, and most adults find those suits to be stupid.

El Chuxter
09-29-2010, 10:12 PM
Are they still doing the GIJoe Q&A?

How about this one:
"In the past, many Hasbro action figures that were hard to find, or even store or online exclusives, in their initial release have shown up at closeout stores like Ross, Marshall's, and Big Lots. We know that the final wave of Rise of Cobra Alpha vehicles (which included the highly anticipated Lava Pod with Volcano Viper) was not released in the US, but did ship to other countries, including Canada. Do you have any information as to whether some of these might eventually trickle into American closeout stores?"

Maradona
09-29-2010, 11:36 PM
I should have posted last Wednesday, but I am now the happy owner of 5 Artic HISSes, each of which was a mere $8.99. I picked up a FLAK/Glider also. No sign of the Stinger and I hit about 8 ROSSes. I also swiftly kicked myself for buying a case of these online last year from BBTS. It ran about $17 per vehicle, so I thought it was a decent deal. But finding packs like this has stayed my online hand from purchasing the Resolute multipack. I also picked up 1 of each of the TRU 5 packs $12.99. Just over two bucks a figure was difficult to resist.

On the Big Lots front, has anyone found the World Peacekeepers Battlefield playset? Half of the items on the back of the packages (particularly the jets) I have never seen. I'd love to find 2 Battlefields to set up a WWII diorama with my Indy figures and the WWII marvel figs I have.

El Chuxter
09-30-2010, 12:10 AM
I regret (sorta) getting a case last year, especially since I was one of the few folks lucky enough to have found the Ghost Skyhawk last year and didn't need a second one, especially at $17. I'm holding out for the Resolute sets, too; if they didn't have repeat figures, I'd be more likely to order them. As it is, I'm only excited about the Alley Viper, and am not about to pay the online price for just him.

El Chuxter
10-01-2010, 06:23 PM
Feel like I'm monopolizing again....

One of the Big Lots knockoff figure lines (Adventure Heroes?) has a dog in the various SWAT sets that looks like he'd be a better 25th Anniversary Order than the one that came in the TRU set. That dog was in a bunch of different figure sets, priced at both $3.50 and $6. I didn't want to stand in line, but am planning to get one, keep any usable accessories, and give the craptastic figures to my daughter to destroy as she will.

El Chuxter
10-03-2010, 08:43 PM
Three in a row! Ho ho ho!

I got one of the PTE sets from Big Lots with a German Shepherd today. There's a sticker on the back stating it contains lead. Not that it may contain lead, but that it does. So my original plan of giving the crappy figure to my daughter is out.

The difference between the two pups is astonishing. I'll post some pics when I can. I'm planning to make a more vintage-accurate Law anyhow, even if it means just repainting the one that came in the TRU set (sure, he'd have long sleeves, but, hey, that's a relatively minor consideration).

Maradona
10-04-2010, 08:48 AM
LEAD. Yikes! I'll have to read the boxes before I open these. I bought a few sets last week, but haven't opened them yet.

DarkArtist
10-04-2010, 01:05 PM
picked up Recondo from the POC line on Friday. he's a nice decent figure but for me personally he's going to be a Jungle Grunt as the 25th Recondo is the only Recondo for me.....

Maradona
10-05-2010, 04:32 PM
If you haven't already, check out this site and its extensive, enviable links:

* link removed for inappropriate material *

El Chuxter
10-18-2010, 06:17 PM
Marshall's is getting in a TON of Joe stuff. The one at Ontario Mills in California had an entire display of just Joe toys.

They had more of the last (uncanceled :() wave of Alpha vehicles than I could count. I know some of these were tough to find, especially the Snarler Cycle.

The had a crap-ton of ROC figures ($1 more than their 25th figures). These included several City Strike Snake Eyes and Desert Vipers. No Kamakuras or Night Adders, though.

Surprisingly, they had a ton of the hostile environment multipacks from a few years ago for $19.99, which, IIRC, is the same price Rite Aid had them for last year.

And, finally, a lot of new 25th figures. Judging from what they had, it looked like a case assortment with which I was unfamiliar, one that was all desirable Cobra army builders. I was able to let reason prevail and tell me I have a pretty massive Cobra army already, but was sorely tempted by some of them. I saw quite a few each of Cobra Trooper, Python Patrol Officer, Crimson Guard, Para-Viper, JUMP Trooper, Red Ninja, Snow Serpent, and Viper. No Eels or Bazooka Troopers, though those were plentiful not too long ago, and no Ninja Viper, which was a tad unfortunate, given how HTF he was.

RooJay
10-19-2010, 02:43 AM
I just bought a 25th Ann. BAT at Marshall's last week. Thought it must have been a fluke, but I guess there's still a lot of this stuff out there.

Maradona
10-19-2010, 10:28 AM
I picked up a few Hall of Heroes figures at TRU Express for $4.98 each over the weekend.

El Chuxter
10-19-2010, 11:04 AM
Are TRU Express stores the mall kiosks? I might have to see if there's one near me if they're getting stuff like that.

RJ, I've been seeing BATs at Marshall's for ages. If the BAT was there, there's a good chance the Eel, Para-Viper, and Wraith were there at one point as well.

The way things are going, I would not be surprised at all to come here one day and see someone posted, "I found the Lava Pod with Volcano Viper at [Marshall's/Ross/Big Lots]!" Or to find one myself. So far as I know, though, this hasn't happened yet.

Definitely holding out for the Resolute sets until they hit closeout stores.

Maradona
10-19-2010, 12:41 PM
I've been searching for the Volcano Viper set on a weekly basis, but no luck. I'm convinced we will find it at a Ross or Marshalls someday.

TRU Expresses are stand alone stores. I've seen 3 of them in my area.

nohagent
10-19-2010, 04:17 PM
i got all those at marshall and tj maxx

El Chuxter
10-19-2010, 04:34 PM
Speaking of the Volcano Viper, did anyone ever determine what the story was with the orange repaint? The color scheme would be absurd on any other figure, but looked quite cool on the Volcano Viper; I actually prefer it to the black version with the Lava Pod (though I like both).

Mister Roboto
11-05-2010, 04:28 PM
For anyone who cares, Today and tomorrow (Nov 5-6) TRU has Bravo vehicles for 50% off. ROC figures are buy 1 get 2 free.

El Chuxter
11-05-2010, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the heads-up! Wonder if they'll have the VAMP or Fury.

Rogue II
11-05-2010, 08:49 PM
I was just at TRU. It is only ROC Bravo vehicles. Which means the Cobra Gunship and some other cobra SUV. Too bad, I wanted to pick up the Snowcat. No VAMP or Fury.

The TRU I went to had slim pickings on ROC figures. Plenty of TRU Doc and Shipwreck. I already have Doc, so the buy 1 get 2 free didn't really work out.

El Chuxter
11-05-2010, 09:21 PM
Eh, slightly disappointing that it's only ROC. Still, if there's anything there, I might clear them out at BOGT.

figrin bran
11-13-2010, 10:44 PM
I picked up the POC AWE Striker at Walmart a few days ago. Was going to get the Ice Cutter as well but I'm just going to wait on it.

figrin bran
11-17-2010, 09:57 PM
I got shipping notice on the POC VAMP that I ordered from HTS so I should be getting it in few days. After the shipping code, it came out to around $18 plus shipping.

El Chuxter
11-18-2010, 12:21 PM
Just ordered the Fury and Deviant, along with Duke 1, Beach Head, Snake Eyes 2, and an extra Doom Cycle for custom fodder. Curiously, this morning was the first time I saw HTS have the Fury and not the VAMP.

I guess they stopped handling pre-orders?

Also, the WM 2-packs are hitting Ross. I would've snagged a few more yesterday, but my wife is getting into serious "is that really necessary?" territory and I didn't want to explain how more Night Creepers are always necessary. Hoping to swing back by there in the next couple of days.

Maradona
11-20-2010, 01:18 PM
The MARS 3-packs from HTS have hit ROSS for $6.99. I picked up 7 yesterday and saw at least that many more.

El Chuxter
11-20-2010, 01:35 PM
No kidding? I might have to army-build that. I always thought that was an awesome figure, far more like what Cobra soldiers should be than those weird Neo-Vipers, and it was a shame the mold was only used in exclusives (this one, the TRU multipack also at Ross, and the K-Mart multipack).

figrin bran
11-20-2010, 08:03 PM
I decided to pick up a Night Raven from Target at $14.99.

Maradona
11-20-2010, 08:08 PM
I decided to pick up a Night Raven from Target at $14.99.

On a whim, I picked one up at TJ Maxx for $10 a few days ago. There were two more at that price. PM if you want the location.

Rogue II
11-20-2010, 09:35 PM
I got Monkeywrench/Tunnel Rat from Ross. I already have Shockwave/Nightcreeper and didn't want another Gung Ho or Cooperhead (Sorry, Hasbro, I learned a lesson from that big pile of Vaders, R2-D2s, and Tatooine Lukes).

I might get the Cobra Mantis sub from one of the clearance stores for Christmas.

Since I got into the Joe collecting a bit late, I never got a regular Flint. So, I slapped together the head from the Cobra Disguise Flint, the body of ROC Sgt. Stone, and the web gear from one of the green shirts that came with Firefly. He looks like he'd fit in with the other ROC figures. Now if I just had a decent shotgun and backpack for him...

figrin bran
11-22-2010, 10:38 PM
My POC VAMP arrived from HTS and in a new low for them, they didn't even put it in a box!!!

They slapped the mailing label on the VAMP box and just mailed that out to me!

Maradona
11-23-2010, 01:18 AM
That is inexcusable. As much as I detest Matty's site, their shipping is impeccable and swift. HTS is the opposite. I once received a package that had gone through a fire. There was soot everywhere. HTS kindly replaced the contents, but the incident serves a reminder of their shipping service.

El Chuxter
11-23-2010, 11:55 PM
I've got a box coming tomorrow. One Transformers and a handful of Joes. I hope they don't just tape them together and slap a label on them. I learned long ago not to expect mint condition from them, which is sad, since they're the manufacturer.

I went a bit nuts today at Ross and Marshall's. Scored Shockblast/Night Creeper, Gung Ho/Copperhead, TRU Cobra 5-pack, MARS Troopers 3-pack, ROC Para-Viper, 25th Cobra Trooper, 25th Python Patrol Officer, and 25th Cobra Air Trooper. Aside from the Gung Ho set, all duplicates--I have no idea off hand what my count is on basic Cobra Troopers now without actually counting them.

But I figure that, next week, this stuff will all dry up. There will be a lot of parents doing their Christmas shopping. And they'll see at the top of the lists, "GIJoe Renegades stuff." And they will say, "Renegades? What the heck is Renegades? Eh, this is four bucks. He won't know the difference."

Maradona
11-24-2010, 02:14 AM
I'm hoping that the trend of Ross/Marshalls getting TRU/WM exclusives continues and we get the WM battle stations from last year. I'd like to pick up a few Cobra Heatseek Missile Systems (MMS).

El Chuxter
11-24-2010, 09:43 AM
TRU has "unadvertised" mystery deals on their website. They're not mysteries, since it tells you what they are, and they're not unadvertised, since they have them set up in a nice flyer. :rolleyes:

Anyway, mech suits for $9.99 and ROC figures buy one, get two free. I know they're trying to rid themselves of ROC figures (and mostly have around here, sadly, or I'd snatch up every figure they had at that deal), but the way the mechs are rotting does not bode well for Wave 2.

Rogue II
11-24-2010, 09:04 PM
I've been to 2 TRUs in the past week. They only have a few remaining ROC figures. The ones they do have are figures I already bought or just don't want.

El Chuxter
11-24-2010, 09:10 PM
The Deviant is not worth $20. The figure is bloody awesome (and I hope the mold, or a good part of it, is used for a 21st century Techno-Viper). If it winds up at Ross for $5, and I think it might, I might get extras just for the Cyber Viper to repaint him as such.

The body and legs of the mech are awesome, but the arms are simply too gimmicky. It needs a standard gun or claw. The battering ram is laughable as anything other than a toy (yeah, I know this is a toy, but think of how useful this thing would be in full-size reality), and the grappling hook is a joke, too.

El Chuxter
11-24-2010, 09:14 PM
Double post, I know, but I've got two potential questions if Hasbro's still doing that:

1) Although a line or even subline based on the new IDW looks for characters is unlikely, some of the characters have been redesigned in ways that would look awesome in plastic but would be tough for anyone but the most talented to customize. Could some of the new designs possibly work their way into the Pursuit of Cobra line next year or in the near future, particularly Cobra Commander, the Vipers, and the Crimson Guardsmen?

2) Many of the Pursuit of Cobra vehicles (for example, the HISS V and the mech suits) have slots where additional weapons can be inserted. However, none so far have come with enough weapons to fill all the slots, and there's not a lot of potential to actually switch weapons. (For instance, someone wanting a Deviant suit armed with something more realistic than a mace-like battering ram would need to cannibalize a HISS, which would be useless without cannons.) Any possibility that you might look into making additional weapons to add to the vehicles, maybe as an online exclusive?

Phantom-like Menace
11-27-2010, 09:13 AM
I was reading a post on some website were a guy was at a presentation of some kind by one of the honchos at Hasbro. Said honcho was talking about how no matter how Star Wars toys perform, Hasbro's focus is always going to be on their in house products like G.I. Joe or Transformers.

Given that fact, it seems weird--absurd more or less--that Renegade toys aren't already on shelves. To my knowledge, we haven't even seen the first prototype. There's dropping the ball, then there's whatever debacle Hasbro's engaging in with the ball.

Given that I thought the 25th Joes were the best thing to happen to toys since the '80s, I'm really hoping that these Renegade toys don't disappoint.

I'm looking forward to the last few PoC figures, though, if we ever see them

El Chuxter
11-27-2010, 09:18 AM
No Renegades or Prime toys until next fall. Like I said, the closeout stores, being the only stores to have anything aside from a small handful of POC figures, will be the winners here when kids ask for Joe toys. Parents either won't know the difference, or won't care.

And I think Renegades was good enough to have a lot of kids interested in the franchise again. Strangely, people seem to like that pile of dog poop, Prime, as well.

DarkArtist
11-28-2010, 10:26 AM
i read somewhere that Hasbro is not going to change the format of the figures for the renegades cartoon but keep with the spirit of the 25th line and continue making figures that resemble the current POC figures... I hope this is true because i do not want to see Hasbro start making G.I. Joe animated figures....

El Chuxter
11-28-2010, 10:33 AM
A realistic Bio-Viper tops my list. By a long shot. Wouldn't mind getting a version of Roadblock with the muttonchops or Scarlett in her trenchcoat, either. (I suppose I could easily customize the latter using one of the billions of Paris Pursuit Baronesses sitting around everywhere.)

It would be smart--sort of a reversal of the way toys were when we were kids, where the toys can't be made to look exactly like the cartoons or movies. I seem to recall Hasbro having mentioned at one point that they'd like to do all SW figures in the same style, but it was a mandate from Lucasfilm that Clone Wars figures be totally incompatible with all the rest.

Maradona
11-28-2010, 10:58 AM
As much as I'm against animated style figures, I suspect Hasbro will make toys that look like the cartoon. I still remember when Hasbro denied that there would be a separate animated line for SW. They have done that with every property they have in animation: SW, TF, Iron Man, Spiderman, and they did with Sigma 6 and Extreme, back in their days. They want to sell to kids who want to play with toys that look like the TV show. I suspect there will be a main animated line, along with the occasional realistic figure(s) or sets that are collector oriented.

figrin bran
11-30-2010, 01:12 AM
POC wave 3 is available on HTS but of course, the Cobra shock troopers are sold out.

Maradona
11-30-2010, 01:35 PM
POC wave 3 is available on HTS but of course, the Cobra shock troopers are sold out.

Picked up a few of the figures. Use code HOLIDAY2010 for 25% off. I got it off the On Sale tread.

El Chuxter
11-30-2010, 01:54 PM
Gah... Tempting. I kinda want to wait to see if the Shock Trooper and VAMP get back in stock first. I know I'll need a few Shock Troopers, since they're the Platonic form of AWESOMESAUCE!!!

El Chuxter
12-03-2010, 10:28 PM
After watching Renegades tonight, I must have Major Bludd's ride, whatever it may be called.

figrin bran
12-04-2010, 09:37 PM
I'd love that Cobra/SSS Market truck from Renegades!

I picked up some extra POC figures thanks to TRU's 2 for 9.99 sale. Got another wave 1 Snake Eyes and Jungle Viper.

Maradona
12-05-2010, 12:14 AM
Marshalls is clearancing out Joes. I bought almost a dozen today for $2 each. Ross didn't have the same clearance and neither did TJ Maxx, surprisingly.

El Chuxter
12-05-2010, 12:21 AM
You're the second person to tell me this (the first was in Nevada). Methinks I'll be stopping by.

Ross here seems to simply be completely sold out of all Joe stuff.

Maradona
12-09-2010, 12:32 AM
Several Ross stores have put out the black HISS and Fury vehicles. They are $11.99. I picked up a few of each. I also saw the Target deluxe movie figures at one Ross for $8.99 - WAAAAAY too steep for them.

Phantom-like Menace
12-09-2010, 12:55 AM
I finally picked up a Tunnel Rat/Storm Shadow set at Big Lots. I pased it up the one time I saw it at retail. I was surprised it was $10.00 at Big Lots. That's a little higher than I expected. I'm happy to finally have that Tunnel Rat, but aside from the ridiculous Mister Magoo eyes, I'm also upset he doesn't have his backpack . . . not that I didn't know both of those problems going in.

El Chuxter
12-09-2010, 12:58 AM
I also saw the Target deluxe movie figures at one Ross for $8.99 - WAAAAAY too steep for them.
Which wave? $8.99 is a bit high for a closeout store, but, then again, there's not much else to buy now, so I could see myself getting suckered into picking up one or two extras (or figures I didn't get originally).

Maradona
12-09-2010, 08:01 AM
The the one with Grand Slam, since he was the only one I saw.

Rogue II
12-09-2010, 08:07 AM
I'd pass on Grand Slam, but I'm going to look anyway in hopes of finding Wet Suit or one of the ninja motorcycles.

El Chuxter
12-09-2010, 11:50 AM
I was strangely impressed by Grand Slam. I got it for the rocket pack, and found Grand Slam to be better than the rocket.

But, yeah, $9 is a good deal more than I paid for him.

figrin bran
12-10-2010, 05:44 PM
I made out like a bandit at TRU's Fri and Sat. sale on POC figures - 2 for $9.

It looks like they got in tons of wave 1 or some revision of it. I got an extra Firefly and Beachhead along with 6 Alley Vipers. Prior to this, I had only seen one total at retail.

Maradona
12-10-2010, 06:09 PM
It looks like they got in tons of wave 1 or some revision of it. I got an extra Firefly and Beachhead along with 6 Alley Vipers. Prior to this, I had only seen one total at retail.

Wow. I've never seen an Alley Viper at retail. I got mine from a BBTS case pack. Apparently, several revision cases are being released in 2011 to bring all the new vipers into our hands.

El Chuxter
12-10-2010, 11:38 PM
Some ROC figures are on sale at Marshall's. And for different amounts. Others are not.

I can confirm the HISS 5 and Fury at Ross. This makes me wonder if I should wait for the VAMP.

Also, I saw the supposed "gold mask Viper" that some folks at HissTank were making a big deal about. It was at a Marshall's in Hemet, on a totally crushed card, and I compared it to a "normal" one there. I don't think it was actually painted gold; I think it's missing a final coat of metallic paint. IIRC, some metallic C-3POs have come out in the wrong color due to this error.

It's still there (or was an hour ago) if anyone in the area wants it. I don't need a Viper who's going to look so vastly different from his comrades, especially at $6.

figrin bran
12-14-2010, 01:23 AM
I got my wave 3 POC Duke from HTS (along with other figures). It's close enough to the show design that it's Renegades Duke for now. The figure is not bad but the twin shoulder mounted plasma cannons are a bit over the top for me. I'll probably repurpose them for some other character.

figrin bran
12-19-2010, 01:21 AM
I picked up the POC Fury from Ross today. They had 3 of them but no HISS tanks.

Maradona
12-20-2010, 10:42 AM
Apparently, the "cancelled" wave 3 of the Target exclusives packs from ROC are now hitting a Ross near you. I've read reports, but will venture out into the elements today to verify for myself.

El Chuxter
12-20-2010, 11:31 AM
Been looking for those myself. No luck yet, but the closest to me doesn't see the value in restocking during the Christmas season :rolleyes:, and the next closest isn't running their holiday hours for some odd reason :rolleyes::rolleyes:. I at least want one each of the two Cobra sets and the RAM, and it wouldn't hurt to get the jetpack reissue again at that price and duplicate Cobra sets (especially given how few Trouble Bubbles were released, all with larger sets).

Anyone know yet if this is a full run that was produced before Target bailed, or just a few? That could seriously impact how many are in the wild.

Maradona
12-20-2010, 11:40 PM
Went to EIGHT Rosses today, all during a torrential downpour the likes of which is rarely seen in Los Angeles. The bounty: 4 Cobra Flight Pods with pink Neo Vipers, 2 Ninja Viper/Shockwave packs, a RAM desert cycle, and a "Capt. Ace" Glider. Additionally, I got an Attack on the Pit TRU "exclusive" for $12.99. Along the way, I found 2 Cobra Furies that had their Alley Vipers swapped out for Neo Vipers and 2 Target exclusive packs with A-Team figures swapped in.

DarkArtist
12-21-2010, 09:22 AM
dang woish I had some of these Ross stores by me... we have Marshalls and TJ Mazz and they never have any good toys to choose from... there toy section looks like something out of a junkyard... :sad:

El Chuxter
12-21-2010, 05:13 PM
And I found them. I'll watch for more for tradesies (or to sell at cost + shipping). Gotta say, they look nice. Even the re-re-re-release of that jetpack looks sweet in this (only slightly different) color scheme. And the pink Elite Viper, curiously, looks freaking awesome. The pink camo reinforced my notion to use all my ROC Elite Vipers as replacements for the weird second Night Creeper costume (the heads look slightly alike).

Went to three Rosses. The first still had nothing (but sold 3 TRU Attack on the Pit sets and 2 Furies since yesterday). The second had them all. The third had a jetpack. Truth is, if I were passing on one, it'd be the jetpack, easy. New scheme or not, I got two on clearance when they came with Grand Slam.

El Chuxter
12-23-2010, 11:44 AM
My local WM has the vehicles!!

The 2008/9 ROC Alpha vehicles! They put out a huge number of them about twenty feet away from the rest of the Joe stuff. For $2 more than they were two years ago. Yes, this is the stuff that's piled up for half that price in the Ross next door (or were, until they sold through) and actually went on clearance at Marshalls.

Anyone need a Mole Pod for $17 + tax + shipping? :rolleyes: Epic fail, WM.

They also put out three cases of POC wave 1. I know three, because there are three Cobra Commanders. WM was considerate enough to put price tags on them. I have this feeling that collectors won't want them with the sticker, and kids don't give a crap, so, unless there's an open collector here who didn't get him, I'm betting those are on clearance soon.

Of course, Alley Vipers were totally gone.

Phantom-like Menace
12-23-2010, 11:38 PM
I've seen Wal-Mart put out PoC figures twice in about as many weeks. As much as I kind of want the Alley Vipers . . . I just love the classic deco, neon and all. I've been grabbing all of the PoC versions I find and giving them to my brother (minus two, which I've kept for myself), and I was lucky enough both times they went out to find him one.

El Chuxter
12-24-2010, 12:47 AM
It's probably a good thing I'm not finding Alley Vipers. I've got three POC, one from the Fury, and three "classic" ones. It's such an awesome figure (especially the POC version), it's tough to pass up when I'm finding nothing.

Maradona
12-24-2010, 03:18 AM
I still have not seen an Alley Viper at retail.

El Chuxter
12-24-2010, 10:38 AM
I only found it by hitting five or six stores a day for a week or two. He's in a later revision case, but it looks like Hasbro still thinks he's only as popular as Snake Eyes.

El Chuxter
12-27-2010, 01:31 PM
Saw all of Wave 3 except the Shock Trooper. They only had one Snake Eyes, which I started to get. But I saw his knife was wonky, and figured, "It's Snake Eyes, and the 4,369th in two years. He will be everywhere."

Also, I picked up the Hall of Heroes Flint. I didn't expect to. But I looked at him in the store, and the paint and accessories were so dramatically better, I had to.

Maradona
12-27-2010, 04:01 PM
I picked up the variant Mantis sub and Snarler Cycle on clearance at WM. Had Hasbro released more Mantises with the helmet ON the pilot, covering his uninviting face, I think more of them would have sold. As such, WM had tons as did TRU.

El Chuxter
12-28-2010, 12:37 AM
I found the Shock Trooper at the Cathedral City Target! Got Snake Eyes and two Shock Troopers, leaving one for someone else. They also had a cool error, Storm Shadow on a Shock Trooper card, but I'm not into those, so I passed.

El Chuxter
12-29-2010, 02:02 AM
Folks, sell your mother into slavery if you have to in order to get the Shock Trooper and Snake Eyes 3. The Snake Eyes is the definitive one now by a country mile, and the Shock Trooper is so amazingly frickin' cool I can't describe it without getting up and dancing.

Out of curiosity, with a Renegades-esque Duke, a Renegades-esque Snake Eyes, and a Shock Trooper who bears more than a slight resemblance to Renegades Cobra "security troopers," does anyone else consider this to sorta be the first Renegades wave? The only other figure is the gimmicky Storm Shadow, who, like the Snake Eyes before him, doesn't even seem to belong in the line.

Maradona
12-29-2010, 09:52 AM
Folks, sell your mother into slavery if you have to in order to get the Shock Trooper and Snake Eyes 3. The Snake Eyes is the definitive one now by a country mile, and the Shock Trooper is so amazingly frickin' cool I can't describe it without getting up and dancing.

Out of curiosity, with a Renegades-esque Duke, a Renegades-esque Snake Eyes, and a Shock Trooper who bears more than a slight resemblance to Renegades Cobra "security troopers," does anyone else consider this to sorta be the first Renegades wave? The only other figure is the gimmicky Storm Shadow, who, like the Snake Eyes before him, doesn't even seem to belong in the line.

Maybe we'll get lucky and these figures will be rereleased in more abundance.

Phantom-like Menace
12-29-2010, 11:52 PM

That Snake Eyes is definitely cool. Only some very small things could make him perfect.

First--the most minor nit--the way the swords attach, the most natural orientation is to hang cutting edge down, and on his back, I'd prefer cutting edge up so he can more easily draw the sword.

In this figure we have the option to attach a sword near the small of his back like in Resolute. I actually really like that look, but if you're going to have a sword there, I'd prefer it be much smaller both to keep it out of the way and to somewhat conceal its being there.

We get a scimitar-style sword just like the '85 version of the figure, but like the 25th Anniversary figure, we don't get a backpack for him to hold it in.

Finally, the Alley-Viper knife/sheath is a pretty great addition to most figures. On this very figure, it looks great on his lower leg. However, attached to the web gear as it is here makes it way too bulky and cumbersome. Beachhead had enough trouble with it attached there on a flak vest where it looked more natural. Here it's in the way and doesn't look very good.

I don't want to sound like I'm knocking the figure. A Snake Eyes that can pass for both the '82 and '85 versions of the character while even having a touch of Resolute flavor care of the waist attachment point? All they had to do was throw in extra arms and a trench coat to give us Paris Pursuit Snake Eyes and the multiple personality would have been astonishingly awesome. As it is it's just awesome.

I forgot to hit him with a hairdryer. His holster is a little warped. I don't know if anyone has noticed, but there is a loop in the front that seems to fit one of the silencers. Oddly, the handgun that accepts the silencer doesn't fit in the holster as well as the one that doesn't accept it. They really thought through a lot of cool features on this Snake Eyes.

figrin bran
12-30-2010, 12:12 AM
Maybe we'll get lucky and these figures will be rereleased in more abundance.

Targets are getting in POC figures on an endcap (shipper box) so they should be in abundance.