PDA

View Full Version : GI Joe Movie Toys

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

El Chuxter
12-30-2010, 12:31 AM
There's also a revision wave later on that's mostly, if not all, Cobra army builders. Maybe if POC goes like 25th Anniversary, we'll be seeing them at Marshall's next year for $4 apiece.

I really, really hope they revisit the basic Cobra Trooper for the POC line.

Rogue II
01-01-2011, 11:37 AM
I hear the new VAMP is now showing up at Ross like the Hiss and Fury. From the pictures I've sen, it looks like it belongs in the old Jurassic Park line, not GI Joe.

Maradona
01-01-2011, 12:00 PM
Despite that, I'd still like to pick up 2 VAMPs if I can find at ROSS.

El Chuxter
01-01-2011, 12:59 PM
No kidding. It has a more "real-world" look than the "real" VAMP.

El Chuxter
01-04-2011, 12:10 AM
I found a VAMP today. They'd finally restocked the nearest Ross with some cool stuff, including more WM 2-packs and MARS Trooper sets.

So, who's ready to place bets on when the Resolute 7-packs wind up there for $19.99? I'm going to say early March.

Maradona
01-04-2011, 12:19 AM
I hope they do. I'm still waiting to see if the WM battle stations show up. I want a few more MMSs. I went to a number of Rosses today and couldn't find any VAMPs. I bought 2 more MARS sets and 2 more Night Creeper/Shockwave sets and left plenty of each. It's difficult for me to pass up figures that are less than $3. I think I'll go for another Ross run tomorrow. I really want to find a VAMP and if possible get 2.

El Chuxter
01-04-2011, 12:23 AM
The only thing that stopped me from getting another Shockwave/Night Creeper set is the sheer size of my Night Creeper army. I've got three red and three blue (and a fourth a friend who wanted Shockwave but not the NC has for me), plus I'm using my two Red Fang Ninjas as Night Creeper Snipers, and decided when I saw the pink Elite Viper that my (who knows how many at this point) Elite Vipers are now modernized versions of the second (or maybe third) Night Creeper figure.

Seriously, Snake Eyes probably would crap his pants if he saw the sheer numbers of my Night Creepers, Red Ninjas, Ninja Vipers, Fireflies, Hebi Vipers (a custom intermediary rank between the basic blueshirts and Ninja Vipers), and miscellaneous Storm Shadows being used as generic Cobra Ninjas.

figrin bran
01-04-2011, 12:27 AM
I picked up a Creeper/Shockwave set from Ross yesterday, as well as an extra POC wave 3 Duke. The extra Duke will go into the VAMP.

Also I tried head swapping that figure with the Resolute Arctic Duke since I don't like the molded headset but the neckpost on Arctic Duke is too long.

Maradona
01-05-2011, 12:52 AM
Finally found a VAMP at the Beverly Connection Ross. Picked it up with 2 Furies. It took going to 10 Rosses (from Whittier to La Cienega)!!!! Left a slew of WM 2 packs, ROC wave 3 leftovers, and a small army of MARS packs.

figrin bran
01-09-2011, 12:01 AM
I finally found wave 3 POC Snake Eyes today!

Still working on those Shock Troopers though a friend picked up 2 for me already.

Maradona
01-09-2011, 11:56 PM
The search for Shock Troopers ended yesterday -- but I had to go to Las Vegas to do it! Found one Shock Troop and 2 wave 3 Snake Eyes at Target Las Vegas. Also, at the Ross across the street, I picked up a cancelled wave 3 ROC pink Elite Viper with flight pod. That Ross had at least half a dozen VAMPs and Furies.

figrin bran
01-11-2011, 10:00 PM
I found a lone POC Shock Trooper yesterday. What sheer awesomeness!!!!

I will not pass up any that I find at retail!

Maradona
01-12-2011, 01:20 PM
Apparently the trips to Ross must continue, for some of us at least, since the "cancelled" "Target exclusive" Sand Serpent has been sighted for a mere $15.99. I picked up the non-exclusive version for $10 at TJ Maxx several weeks ago, but didn't open it. I might pick up 2 of these newer ones, since the figure looks worthwhile to me.

El Chuxter
01-12-2011, 01:36 PM
Plane looks stupid, but... STAR VIPER? Looks like I'm gonna be hitting Ross again.

El Chuxter
01-12-2011, 07:32 PM
None at the local Ross, but they stocked up bigtime on Furies and HISSes.

I've seen reported on another site that the Resolute sets were showing up at Rite-Aid for $14.99, which would sound bizarre if they hadn't gotten so many other former internet exclusives in the past few years. No luck at the three in town here; IIRC, the internet exclusive stuff in the past has replaced their Christmas section, where they're actually still trying to get rid of junk. Maybe when they clear it out.... Truth is, at that price, I may grab extras for custom fodder.

Once again, even though I know no one will take me up on the offer, if anyone gets the Cobra Resolute set and doesn't want the Alley Viper, I'd be willing to take it off their hands. Of course, that's the one figure everyone will want. :D

Maradona
01-12-2011, 07:35 PM
I've seen reported on another site that the Resolute sets were showing up at Rite-Aid for $14.99, which would sound bizarre if they hadn't gotten so many other former internet exclusives in the past few years. No luck at the three in town here; IIRC, the internet exclusive stuff in the past has replaced their Christmas section, where they're actually still trying to get rid of junk. Maybe when they clear it out.... Truth is, at that price, I may grab extras for custom fodder.

Once again, even though I know no one will take me up on the offer, if anyone gets the Cobra Resolute set and doesn't want the Alley Viper, I'd be willing to take it off their hands. Of course, that's the one figure everyone will want. :D

If I find any sets, I'll grab them and hold a set for you. Please do the same, if you can. I'm going to check Rite Aids and Rosses on the way home from work.

El Chuxter
01-12-2011, 07:39 PM
Will do, but it'll be at least a few days before I can check any of the ones in the other towns nearby. I'm not too worried, since I think it's just a matter of the local stores being behind the curve instead of already cleaned out, but I've got your back. :)

El Chuxter
01-12-2011, 07:41 PM
Forgot to mention: the local K-Mart still has the Cobra Humvee on "clearance" for $22, but now has a few of the POC mechs (that I don't recall seeing before Christmas) beside them at the more reasonable clearance price of $15.

Maradona
01-12-2011, 10:30 PM
Found a Sand Serpent today on the way home (albeit the looooong way which allowed me to hit 4 Rosses and Rite-Aids). Sadly, no Resolute packs. The search continues...

El Chuxter
01-13-2011, 09:40 PM
Found one Sand Serpent today (stopped by the same Ross when we decided to get pizza tonight). The paint scheme is growing on me. Funny thing, though, I've not opened it, but the Star Viper looks a bit of the crappy side in person.

They had a crap-ton of HISSes, Furies, WM 2-packs, and MARS Troopers. It took lots of self-control to not clean out their stock of Night Creeper sets.

Maradona
01-13-2011, 10:33 PM
Scoured more Rite Aids today and no Resolute packs. I did get a massively clearanced Charlie Brown Christmas Tree for $2 and change, though.

Rogue II
01-15-2011, 04:08 PM
I got the HISS and the Desert Raven from Ross. I can't figure out where the sticker for the rear cockpit is supposed to go. Stickers for the Raven weren't that bad until I got to the cockpit.

figrin bran
01-15-2011, 09:24 PM
I got the HISS and RAM cycle from Ross today. Decided to pass on the Sand Serpent for the time being as the Star Viper didn't look that great to me.

RooJay
01-15-2011, 10:21 PM
Man, I'd really rather they don't make figures of those "Dreadnoks" from Renegades! Major fail! It's not a bad cartoon - it's just definitely not GI Joe, and those were definitely not Dreadnoks. I don't think figures of those characters would make for very interesting toys at all. Would've made a pretty good A-Team: The Animated Series, though.

Maradona
01-15-2011, 10:42 PM
These "Dreadnoks" were not to my liking either. Reminded me of Born Losers with Tom Laughlin. Billy Jack rules!

figrin bran
01-15-2011, 11:31 PM
I love the Renegades series! Just not the Dreadnoks episode.

El Chuxter
01-16-2011, 01:20 AM
Funny, I would buy those Dreadnoks, and use them as "background Dreadnoks." In my book, there's the original three, Zartan's siblings, Monkeywrench, Thrasher, Road Pig, Zanzibar, and Gnawgahyde, and everyone else is a nameless gang member. I'd especially like the Renegades Road Pig, if only to get the concrete sledgehammer accessory to give to a custom RAH Road Pig so I don't have to make his weapon. :D

Road Pig, Torch, and Buzzer were pretty clear (Buzzer was called by name, and the other two had their signature weapons). But Monkeywrench was in the credits and no one stood out as being a Monkeywrench remake to me.

Does the name "Russel Clemmens" ring a bell? It didn't to me; however, the car salesman is named Russel, never addressed by the last name (unless I missed or forgot it), and credited with a full name. As there were no classic Joe cameos this time, I wonder if that's one, though the name isn't familiar to me.

R2, IIRC, the sticker goes inside the cockpit somewhere. I'll check and see where but can't until tomorrow.

Still no sign of Resolute sets. All the Rite Aids near me have Christmas clearance still, and I'm hoping this will be where they show up. Other than that, I'm just getting giggly looking at the insane prices they charge for toys that weren't former online exclusives.

El Chuxter
01-21-2011, 08:22 AM
Anyone seen any evidence of the Resolute sets at Rite-Aid, or was this a total fluke (or maybe hoax)? I've not only seen none, but not noticed anyone else mentioning it, and can't even find the thread where the guy was reporting it at another site. I'm starting to feel like I'm wasting my time every time I pass one.

Rogue II
01-21-2011, 08:51 AM
I haven't seen anything more about it. It must have been a fluke. Rite-Aid closed all their stores here, so I hadn't thought about it. The way Ross has been getting GI Joe stuff, maybe it is just a matter of time before they get it.

I was in a TRU this week and they had the PIT HQ for $40. I know it has been that price on their website for a while, but this was the first time I've seen it in the store. I couldn't rationalize buying it, I don't have the space to put it, and I really didn't want to explain the purchase to my wife.

El Chuxter
01-21-2011, 08:58 AM
We've got Rite Aid out the wazoo around here. I could easily walk to two from my house (though it would take a couple of hours). There's absolutely nada.

Marshall's eventually got the Hostile Environment sets, but that was about a year (maybe two, even) after Rite Aid, and I think they cost a bit more. None of the other internet exclusives I saw at Rite Aid at the same time showed up at any closeout stores. (And I can't imagine the stupid Rebel TIE Fighter and Darth Vader vs Power Rangers outsold two sets of Cobra army builders and Rite Aid went through all the leftovers on those and not the Cobra sets.)

I can't believe all the Rite Aids still have freakin' Christmas stuff, though.

Maradona
01-21-2011, 01:04 PM
I haven't seen any evidence of these sets at Rite Aid and I've been searching. Christmas is 90% off there, by the way.

El Chuxter
01-22-2011, 12:29 AM
I got sick of finding no results at the site where it'd been reported, and Googled it. I found one comment buried in a random thread that said the report had been "debunked." Not sure why they killed it, unless they really are dooshes who want anyone who's not a member and basing their Rite Aid trips on info they'd hosted to be completely out of the loop and continue wasting time. (I'd think it'd be a good idea to leave the thread, edit the first post to say it's a hoax, and actually explain in the thread why it's known to be false.)

I'll keep stopping by occasionally because, hey, who knows; they have gotten former exclusives in the past. But not daily or even weekly until I have something more firm to go on.

figrin bran
01-22-2011, 10:05 PM
I couidn't find anymore Shock Troopers so I decided to pick up a Skysweeper at Ross and got a 25th CLAW/FLAK at TRU.

El Chuxter
01-22-2011, 10:28 PM
They had the CLAW and FLAK at TRU?!?!?

Darth Awgmon
01-22-2011, 11:19 PM
They had the CLAW and FLAK at TRU?!?!?

I heard those wave 5 25th vehicles were seen at TRU Express stores, but that was back before Christmas. I got my fill of them at Ross.

El Chuxter
01-23-2011, 12:02 AM
I got some extras at Ross, but TRU comes as a shock. Especially since all three major retailers refusing to carry that wave is why they ended up as an online exclusive (before they wound up at Ross, of course).

figrin bran
01-23-2011, 12:39 AM
I got some extras at Ross, but TRU comes as a shock. Especially since all three major retailers refusing to carry that wave is why they ended up as an online exclusive (before they wound up at Ross, of course).

I wonder if it's leftover stock from TRU Express? Last week, I saw an Arctic HISS in a TRU employee's hands but no other of those vehicles.

They're $9.97 btw.

figrin bran
02-02-2011, 12:41 AM
I've not had any luck finding more POC Shock Troopers. I haven't even been able to find more wave 3 Snake Eyes.

That being said, I preordered POC wave 4 Low Light, Shadow Tracker, Destro, Skydive from BBTS last week and received them today.

Maradona
02-02-2011, 08:27 AM
BBTS is the way to go for these harder to find troops. I ordered a wave 4 case in order to get more Shock Troops and Alley Vipers, of which I had but one of each. I've got it on pile of loot setting, waiting for the next wave of DCUC to arrive so that they'll ship together with my SW Vintage case. I love not paying tax, which is more than what shipping will be with these all together. The above retail mark up isn't that high either and I don't waste so much petrol running around, fuming at scalpers and shifty employees.

Rogue II
02-02-2011, 09:15 PM
I'm still waiting to find Low Light in the stores. Hopefully that wave shows up soon. He's the only one I want from that wave.

Next two waves have been announced.

Wave 5 (wave 3 2011):

General Hawk, Blowtorch, Steel Brigade, Cobra-The Enemy, Cobra Commander, and Jungle B.A.T.

Wave 6 (wave 4 2011):

Snake-Eyes (temple guardian), Croc Master, Iron Grenadier, Rock-Viper, Viper, and Crazylegs

Maradona
02-06-2011, 02:00 PM
To my utter shock, I found two Shock Troopers, an Alley Viper, Low Light, and Skydive an hour after opening at Rosemead WM. This is the first time I find an Alley Viper at retail and the second time for the Shock Trooper. They had three of the awesome wave 3 Snake Eyes and a couple of Beachheads, along with an army of frosty Destros and Jungle Troopers.

El Chuxter
02-06-2011, 03:30 PM
I got two more Jungle Vipers yesterday at TRU's sale. At least one has an appointment with the knife. :evil: I'm going to make him into a ninja, but not sure which one yet. The other, I've not decided whether to use him for parts or not.

I would've gotten the new Duke or Storm Shadow, but TRU doesn't like to put stuff out during their sales that people might actually want.

Rogue II
02-07-2011, 08:01 PM
I went by a Target today hoping to find Low Light. Instead, they had restocked the red-carded Cobra Commander, a couple different Dukes, and Beachhead. (not to mention the countless Zartans, Dustys, & Arctic Destros.

El Chuxter
02-13-2011, 10:08 AM
The Toy Fair stuff is a mixed bag. Some really nice stuff, especially Crazylegs (don't have to make him now!), Techno-Viper, the Renegades figures, the Viper update, the Iron Grenadier Heavy Gunner, the Jungle BAT, and, surprisingly enough, the Temple Defender Snake Eyes. The Skystriker is a welcome surprise, and I will find a way to get Zarana and the Starscream Skystriker at Comic-Con if I have to sell my mother.

However, some of the other repaints and kitbashes are a bit confusing. Blowtorch makes some sense; I think only three people found him, but Croc Master? I remember thinking when it showed up in store computers, "Maybe it'll be the IDW version, and I can use him as Croc Master's son who was mentioned in the Valor vs Venom line." But--and correct me if I'm wrong--this looks like a straight re-release of the same old figure, only with a cobra and snake this time. The same old figure who rots on clearance in almost every Marshall's and TJMaxx in the country, I might add.

What the hell, Hasbro? Seriously. I can't say it more politely. What the hell?

Phantom-like Menace
02-14-2011, 02:27 AM
I've been really scared of what we'd get after PoC leaves shelves. I was a little worried Low Light might be the last toy that really brought back the sense of how great toy collecting was in the '80s. Holy Testicle Tuesday I was wrong! Sci-Fi, Crazylegs, Steel Brigade, Techno-Viper, Zarana, a little love for the '90s with the Rock Viper, and--who could have seen this coming after years of Hasbro dragging their feet--a Skystriker! a beautiful, sexy Skystriker for me to spend money on multiples of. Then, craziness abounding, a Skystriker painted like Starscream with a Cobra Commander figure armed with . . . Megatron! Look at it! Freaking Megatron!

Renegade figures: meh, and shrug. There's potential for some new things, mostly Storm Shadow's look, which I don't particularly care for. I'd love a Jinx figure. The main characters are really nothing new.

I'm also happy to see some new designs that really continue the PoC style. Really detailed designs with tons of accessories. Some of them are completely off the wall, but there's just so much to them you have to be able to find something you like about them.

That Storm Shadow is very nice too. I'm definitely looking forward to getting that.

If all this stuff isn't impossible to find, I'm going to be in Joe heaven this year.

P.S. Seriously, a Starscream Skystriker with Megatron-toting Cobra Commander!

RooJay
02-15-2011, 02:14 AM
I'm diggin pretty much everything from Toy Fair (saddened to hear that Zarana is exclusive to Comic Con, though) although, I too, am confused as to why Croc Master is getting re-released. Part of me wonders if Hasbro isn't trying to murder the GI Joe line? I love the character, and the figure, but he was quite the peg-warmer the first time around!
I also finally managed to track down most of the latest wave this past weekend (only missing Shadow Tracker) and I have to say that I was actually quite disappointed with the Cobra Shock Trooper. Especially given all the buzz around that figure I've heard online. I really love the accessories, the sculpt in general is cool, and I love the idea behind the character, but I just can't get past that freakishly long neck! It looks to me as though his chin starts where normally a persons nose would be. Totally ruins the figure, in my opinion.

Maradona
02-15-2011, 08:04 AM
I suspect Hasbro's restraint in revealing too much is a prelude to a larger reveal at the Joe Con in April. They really just showed 2 waves, 3 vehicles (2 of which are repaints), and a bit more than a few figures from a fall wave. Exclusives from SDCC yes, but none from any other retailer and only one of the impending 30th Anniversary line, albeit Sci Fi looks strong.

At Joe, I expect a look at another wave, more vehicles, and more of a peek at the 30th line, followed by even more 3 months later at SDCC.

bigbarada
02-23-2011, 04:19 PM
I was at Walmart yesterday morning and I walked by the clearance toy section and I saw one of those new V.5 HISS Tanks on clearance for $10. The box looked untampered with, so I went ahead and bought it and I must say that it's probably the coolest new GI Joe vehicle that I have ever seen! I was totally blown away, first by how large it is when compared to the box, and just how cool of a design it is overall. Kind of like the dropship from Aliens with a bit of inspiration from the Hailfire Droid, dropped on top of the classic HISS Tank treads. Very cool!

Of course now I want to army-build a small squad of Cobra troops to accompany it, but I'm a little in the dark about what's been released and what's coming out. Some of the new stuff shown at Toy Fair looks pretty amazing. That Hazard Viper is just all kinds of awesome! I think I can see myself getting back into GI Joe a little bit this year.

El Chuxter
02-23-2011, 04:25 PM
If you want to army build with what's out now, I'd recommend getting any Cobra Shock Troopers or Alley Vipers you can get your hands on. The Shock Trooper is sort of a more "real world" version of the Cobra Trooper, with gear similar to a SWAT Trooper, and the Alley Viper is a slight improvement over the 25th Anniversary one from the Defense of Cobra Island set, in more realistic colors and with an alternate helmet that looks more like the Resolute Alley Viper's. (If you want to spend a little more and get another vehicle, the Cobra Fury seems to only be showing up at Ross for around $12, and comes with an Alley Viper in a slightly different color scheme.) They're not especially easy to find, though. The Jungle Viper is really nice, too, but doesn't lend himself to army building as well (so he's a lot easier to find).

Maradona
02-23-2011, 04:45 PM
(If you want to spend a little more and get another vehicle, the Cobra Fury seems to only be showing up at Ross for around $12, and comes with an Alley Viper in a slightly different color scheme.) They're not especially easy to find, though. The Jungle Viper is really nice, too, but doesn't lend himself to army building as well (so he's a lot easier to find).

For $12, the Fury and Alley Viper are a steal, but I wish the Alley Viper that came with it was better armed, using the AV signature weaponry. When you compare this price set with the SW deluxe sets that are $16-17, the Fury comes out way on top. The Jungle Viper is such a cool figure and I've bought 10 over time and everyone who wants one can find as many as they want, but I still don't feel that the figure works as a rank and file type of troop that can be made to stand in formation. I'm hoping the figure gets a repaint at some point, with the green becoming a gray or urban camouflage.

bigbarada
02-23-2011, 04:57 PM
If you want to army build with what's out now, I'd recommend getting any Cobra Shock Troopers or Alley Vipers you can get your hands on. The Shock Trooper is sort of a more "real world" version of the Cobra Trooper, with gear similar to a SWAT Trooper, and the Alley Viper is a slight improvement over the 25th Anniversary one from the Defense of Cobra Island set, in more realistic colors and with an alternate helmet that looks more like the Resolute Alley Viper's. (If you want to spend a little more and get another vehicle, the Cobra Fury seems to only be showing up at Ross for around $12, and comes with an Alley Viper in a slightly different color scheme.) They're not especially easy to find, though. The Jungle Viper is really nice, too, but doesn't lend himself to army building as well (so he's a lot easier to find).

Cool, that gives me something to look for while I wait for some of the new figures to show up. Unfortunately, my Walmart's GI Joe section is totally filled with that unmasked Stormshadow movie figure and that's it. Plus, there is nothing but Walmarts within a 30 mile radius of my house.

I guess I'll have to make the 40 mile drive to Springfield here soon to look for some more Cobra Troops. I've never been to a Ross before. Are those usually in shopping malls?

Phantom-like Menace
02-23-2011, 11:59 PM
I really have a love-hate relationship with the PoC Alley Vipers. I have at least two I've purchased for myself, but every other one I've gotten I've given to my brother. Realistic colors? Check. Nostalgia? Negative. I forgave Alley Viper for bright colors twenty-some years ago, and I've loved him ever since.

I did get eight Jungle Vipers, and though I agree they don't lend themselves well to formations . . . screw that, I'm doing it anyway.

RooJay
02-24-2011, 04:22 AM
Lowlight is one hell of an awesome figure, in my opinion! He was always a favorite character, but I think the new figure is maybe the best Joe of the modern era!

El Chuxter
02-24-2011, 03:04 PM
Every Ross I've ever seen has been in a strip mall. Unfortunately, I just looked at their site, and it looks like the closest one to you would be in either Pennsylvania or Tennessee. :(

Maradona
02-27-2011, 03:26 PM
Found two interesting items at La Caņada Ross yesterday: 2004/2005 DTC figures (Footloose and Snow Serpent). They were on the original cards from that period and were an expensive $5.99 each, supposedly marked down from $11.99. These could have been and most likely were swapped out price stickers from the "cancelled" wave 3 Target "exclusives."

figrin bran
02-28-2011, 12:56 AM
Speaking of those cancelled wave 3 Target exclusives, I found all 4 of them at my local Ross yesterday. That's the second time I've seen them there so other stores might be getting restocks as well.

Maradona
03-01-2011, 07:52 PM
Apparently, Ross has begun stocking the final wave of ROC vehicle/figure packs. I've been pining for a Lava Pod w/Volcano Viper for quite some time. If I can find 3-5, I'll be set. So far, I haven't seen any, though. Anyone else looking for these?

El Chuxter
03-01-2011, 10:17 PM
Not anymore. Well, mostly not anymore. Rogue II gave me the heads up that he read this at another site, and I stopped by Ross and found all but the Polar SHARC. One each. I've no idea who would get the SHARC and pass on the Volcano Viper.

If I find any more Volcano Vipers, I'll keep you in mind.

Maradona
03-02-2011, 12:11 AM
Thanks. Shall I hold some for the two of you?

DarkArtist
03-02-2011, 08:33 AM
still trying to track down a Low Light as well as the Shock and Shadow Tracker figures... hoping to spot them soon at retail. really want the Low Light and at least 2 of the Shadow Tracker and 2 of the Shock Trooper.

El Chuxter
03-04-2011, 12:20 PM
The Volcano Viper is a real example of a kitbash done right. He's got a couple of parts I think are new (the "jacket" and helmet, mostly), and the rest is made of existing parts used to maximum effect.

I hope to get another one if I can (who cares about the pods?), and get a couple of the orange version when it's released. It may not be the intended purpose, but I'm using these as the cool POC update of the Leaky Suit Brigade.

El Chuxter
03-04-2011, 02:47 PM
If the Hasbro Q&A still exists and we still participate in it, any chance of asking something along these lines:
"Without a doubt, the Pursuit of Cobra figures are getting better and better overall, and far more detailed. However, a minor issue comes up as a result of the ever-increasing detail and number of accessories, namely, 'How do all these accessories work?' It's even more confusing to get a character like Low-Light, who has an insane number of interrelated accessories. Have you considered including a small instruction manual with such figures, or at least including an actual full-body picture of the figure on the package?"

Maradona
03-04-2011, 04:39 PM
Finally found a Volcano Viper set. The figure looks good. I picked up Leatherneck and the green Ferret, along with Dusty and his converted snow mobile. Still haven't found the Polar Sharc, though I did find restocks of the "cancelled Target exclusive" wave 3. I picked up a Whirlwind and a few Flight Pods with hot pink camouflage Viper. These are fun figures and I envision the vehicles as being very Night Force-ish. I bought 2 more desert RAMs. The boxes were a mess, but I'm opening them, so it didn't bother me.

figrin bran
04-30-2011, 09:16 PM
I actually saw a POC restock at TRU and bought another Shock Trooper, Alley Viper and Skydive.

figrin bran
05-02-2011, 09:45 PM
I picked up a TF Movie Elita 1 for use with Joes and other 3.75" figures.

I've tried Snake Eyes as well as Marvel Universe Black Widow and both are able to sit nicely on Elita 1 in motorcycle mode.

DarkArtist
05-03-2011, 02:51 PM
I picked up a TF Movie Elita 1 for use with Joes and other 3.75" figures.

I've tried Snake Eyes as well as Marvel Universe Black Widow and both are able to sit nicely on Elita 1 in motorcycle mode.

I bought an Arcee last year and use it as the Bike for the Recent Commando Snake Eyes.

picked up 2 of the Cobra Shock Troopers last night in Target... they look amazing perhaps some of the best figures to date.... now if only I can find the ever illusive Low Light

DarkArtist
05-05-2011, 07:49 AM
picked up an extra Shock Trooper last night along with Duke and the Arm cannons..

WildCard
05-07-2011, 04:52 PM
Hi all, we are trying to get some activity going on the G.I. Joe forums at ActionFigs.com (sister site of SSG). We'd love for you to visit (take your shoes off, stay awhile) and discuss whatever G.I. Joe topics you'd like. See you there!

Mark

figrin bran
05-14-2011, 11:25 PM
I saw a lone Shock Trooper on the pegs at WM so I felt compelled to buy it.

Maradona
05-15-2011, 11:12 AM
Picked up 3 Lava Pods yesterday at Ross and now have 3 Volcano Vipers that I can open. I've opened one so far and noticed the helmet fits better without the easily removed head. I can use the head for a custom, as it's generic enough.

Maradona
05-19-2011, 11:53 PM
Is anyone else finding 25th Anniversary figures being restocked at Marshall's? I've picked up a good dozen troops marked under $4 each.

El Chuxter
05-20-2011, 12:43 AM
Time to go to Marshall's.... :)

Darth Awgmon
05-20-2011, 11:29 AM
Is anyone else finding 25th Anniversary figures being restocked at Marshall's? I've picked up a good dozen troops marked under $4 each.

I have also seen several under $4: one cent under at $3.99! That is a good deal. These are the same waves that were showing up at Marshall's and TJ Maxx last year.

Maradona
05-20-2011, 11:49 AM
I still haven't found a clear Wraith or a yellow Stalker, which I read were all over last year. I'd like to get more Cobra Flints, blue Ninja Vipers, black Storm Shadows, and Cobra Divers. If the comic packs resurface, I'd like another 2 Tomax/Xamots, but just for the heads, which I'd like for customs.

El Chuxter
05-20-2011, 12:00 PM
I'd like to get more Cobra Flints, blue Ninja Vipers, black Storm Shadows, and Cobra Divers. If the comic packs resurface, I'd like another 2 Tomax/Xamots, but just for the heads, which I'd like for customs.
Funny, your want list looks pretty close to mine. I only want one extra Tomax/Xamot, though, and I'm done with Cobra Divers (since I got more than enough Eels). I got a crap-ton of Flints, but, really, who can't use more of them? I always found it odd that he rotted at the closeout stores after being clearanced at regular stores--switch the bloody head, people! They already gave it to you! It's visible in the package; how can you miss it?

Maradona
05-20-2011, 01:53 PM
Funny, your want list looks pretty close to mine. I only want one extra Tomax/Xamot, though, and I'm done with Cobra Divers (since I got more than enough Eels). I got a crap-ton of Flints, but, really, who can't use more of them? I always found it odd that he rotted at the closeout stores after being clearanced at regular stores--switch the bloody head, people! They already gave it to you! It's visible in the package; how can you miss it?

Great minds think alike or fools never disagree. I never left a Cobra Flint behind, but only ever found 3, I think.

figrin bran
05-28-2011, 11:23 PM
Wave 5 of POC arrived from HTS yesterday.

Also today, I picked up a Lava Pod/Volcano Viper as well as a MARS Trooper 3 pack now marked down to just $4.99 at Ross.

Maradona
05-29-2011, 10:44 AM
Wave 5 of POC arrived from HTS yesterday.

Also today, I picked up a Lava Pod/Volcano Viper as well as a MARS Trooper 3 pack now marked down to just $4.99 at Ross.

Did your case ship boxed or did HTS just put shipping labels on the actual case. My Wave 6 case arrived Wednesday and it was mangled. Only two figures in the middle had cards that were not bent. I called HTS and they told me they'd refund my money once they received the case back, but that I would need to reorder. I asked if they'd honor the discount and free shipping that were part of the original order. That request apparently required three different people being consulted before I was told to just wait for a call back.

I went to about 4 Ross stores yesterday and bought 2 Lava Pods at $8.99 and sadly didn't see any discounted MARS packs.

figrin bran
05-30-2011, 12:23 AM
Did your case ship boxed or did HTS just put shipping labels on the actual case. My Wave 6 case arrived Wednesday and it was mangled. Only two figures in the middle had cards that were not bent. I called HTS and they told me they'd refund my money once they received the case back, but that I would need to reorder. I asked if they'd honor the discount and free shipping that were part of the original order. That request apparently required three different people being consulted before I was told to just wait for a call back.

I went to about 4 Ross stores yesterday and bought 2 Lava Pods at $8.99 and sadly didn't see any discounted MARS packs.

Maradona, HTS just slapped shipping labels on my wave 6 case.

figrin bran
06-02-2011, 10:48 PM
Wave 5 from HTS arrived today. The Cobra Commander that I opened up has a screw missing from the right leg. What happened to QC, Hasbro???

Maradona
06-02-2011, 11:42 PM
My wave 5 case arrived 2 days ago. Just like the wave 6 case, HTS did nothing more than stick a shipping label to the case. It goes without saying that the cards were dinged. I'm not a huge stickler for pristine cards, but if I'm paying retail, I'd like the card to at be fair. I contacted them and they sent me a UPS shipping label to return the case. They claim that once they've received the case, they'll credit my account. In the meantime, I had to reorder the case, which they insisted would ship out double boxed. Only time will tell...

El Chuxter
06-02-2011, 11:42 PM
That really sucks. You'd think, since they appear to be making far fewer of them, that they could check them more closely. :)

In all seriousness, though, I've noticed more quality issues with Joes than Star Wars or Transformers. I've seen a few broken figures in the other lines, but they were broken. Missing parts are more common with Joes for some reason, from what I've seen. If one of the EU Stormtroopers didn't re-use the basic Cobra knife, the very first Cobra Officer I bought would still be knife-less.

figrin bran
06-19-2011, 12:51 AM
I saw a Cobra Deviant at Ross for $7.99 but having one already and not wanting extras of the mech suit, decided to pass on it.

figrin bran
07-24-2011, 09:03 PM
I made some acquisitions at SDCC - got variant and regular Zarana, both of which sold out by Friday afternoon of SDCC along with the
Starscream Skystriker. Seeing that one in person really tempted me to get one but the limit was one per person and I ended up getting
it for fellow SSGer Maradona.

Also, at my local Target today, I used the DCPI to score the regular Skystriker. I had a $25 gift card so it ended up being only around
$13 for me.

Maradona
07-25-2011, 10:56 PM
I made some acquisitions at SDCC - got variant and regular Zarana, both of which sold out by Friday afternoon of SDCC along with the
Starscream Skystriker. Seeing that one in person really tempted me to get one but the limit was one per person and I ended up getting
it for fellow SSGer Maradona.

For which he is EXTREMELY thankful. :)

RooJay
07-26-2011, 05:46 AM
What a pal!

figrin bran
07-26-2011, 10:53 AM
Hey Roojay, how's it going?

Well, some of the SDCC exclusives are up on HTS right now! I just ordered Starscream Skystriker, using both the COMIC2011 code as well as that Groupon coupon for HTS from a few weeks back, it brought the price of this beauty down to $18.92!

Take that SDCC dealers that are asking $150 for this on a certain auction site. Even worse, while I was in that HTS line, I saw quite a few people who had purchased the Starscream Skystrikers try to exchange the ones they had bought for another one on account of the box having wear and tear. :shocked: And more often than not, the cashiers would accommodate them. Hey, thanks for holding up the line like that!

RooJay
07-27-2011, 03:26 AM
Going great! Thanks for asking! You?

Yeah, I was just commenting this morning to a friend of mine that I'd hoped Hasbro wouldn't do something awesome like put the exclusive up for sale on the site sometime while I was busy sleeping. Got to work this evening to discover they'd done exactly that! HOORAY for me!

Anyone want to help a brother out with Zarana and maybe the Indy set? Please?

figrin bran
07-28-2011, 11:25 PM
Roojay, if only you had asked for help before SDCC!

Skystriker Starscream arrived from HTS today but they neglected to pack the invoice. In hindsight, I should have just bought him at the con (though I ended up with considerable savings buying on HTS) and then I could have opened it right in front of the many dealers. Have any of you seen the ridiculous prices they're asking on this one? $150????

RooJay
07-29-2011, 04:46 AM
Roojay, if only you had asked for help before SDCC!

Thanks man! Now I really wish i had!

El Chuxter
07-30-2011, 12:14 AM
I found two of the "canceled" GIJoe Rise of Cobra Alpha Vehicles (the SHARC and Lava Pod) at a Tuesday Morning, so if anyone still needs 'em and is near a Tuesday Morning, you can give them a shot. (Of course, Tuesday Mornings are tougher to find and more hit-and-miss than Ross ever dreamed of being.)

Maradona
08-03-2011, 03:09 PM
I can't believe Marshalls is still stocking 25th Anniversary Joes at $3.99. They're tough to pass up, so I picked up a few more troops this morning.

figrin bran
08-08-2011, 09:21 PM
I can't be the only one with a 30th Skystriker, can I?

El Chuxter
08-09-2011, 12:57 AM
So far, yes.

Well, not exactly. I've not opened Starscream due to space constraints until I clear some room.

RooJay
08-09-2011, 01:48 AM
Nope. Got mine, and it is awesome! Do wish they'd bothered to make the pilot seat eject just like on the original, though. Can't believe how cheap it is considering the size! Does anyone know how it compares size-wise to the original vintage Skystriker? Seems pretty close to me.

Maradona
08-09-2011, 06:23 PM

I got one in Las Vegas a few days after SDCC. Haven't opened it yet, though.

Phantom-like Menace
08-22-2011, 02:26 AM

I've got five, one customized for Ace, one for Snake-Eyes, one for Shipwreck, one for Flint, and one set aside to never find the gumption to customize into Thundercracker. My brother has one he's customized for Flint. I'm planning to get Starscream and another retail Sky Striker to never manage to complete the three '84 Seekers.

Maradona
08-22-2011, 10:54 AM
If I were a better customizer, I'd create Macross Valkyrie (Robotech Veritech Fighter) versions of Skull Leader, Max, Mirya, and Jetfire.

El Chuxter
08-22-2011, 11:41 AM
Have any of the post-Low Light figures been sighted at Ross?

Sadly, I think that would be my only chance of finding any of them. :(

Maradona
08-22-2011, 03:10 PM
I've gone to so many Ross stores this past week in a vain attempt to find a Windcharger and I can attest to ZERO POC figures. I've found restocks of the mech suits, but nothing else apart from that. I've checked at Marshalls and TJ Maxx as well, looking for the Giant Size Skrull/Goliath sets, but no luck there either. Which ones are you looking for in case I find any?

El Chuxter
08-22-2011, 03:27 PM
Ha ha ha, all of them. I found Low-Light and Skydive at TRU, and got Destro and Duke from that wave at HTS. No Shadow Tracker or anything since.

The Ross here had two Deviant suits and the Joe version. I decided to hold off a day, and, rather unexpectedly, all three were gone. Oddly, though, I could army-build the Lava Pod.

BTW, if JT is reading this, it's not Deep Six with the Polar SHARC (though it does look like the character as he appeared out-of-armor in the Marvel run).

figrin bran
09-13-2011, 10:56 AM
I got the Black Dragon at TRU this past weekend. I don't really want another Vamp but really want that Steel Brigade driver that comes with it.

El Chuxter
09-13-2011, 12:22 PM
Never understood the appeal of the Steel Brigade. I'd rather have Greenshirts. To me, GI Joe is not supposed to be the team with nameless, faceless army builders.

Maradona
09-14-2011, 09:59 PM
The new wave has hit HTS: http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/new-to-hasbrotoyshop-gi-joe-wave-7-12-pack?CD=121&BR=520&ST=SO&PG=1

RooJay
09-15-2011, 03:30 AM
Man! It's been so long since I've seen any new GI Joe stuff on the pegs! Is Hasbro trying to bury this line, or what?

figrin bran
10-03-2011, 01:06 AM
I finally found some 30th anniversary wave 1 figures this weekend.

I saw a lone Iron Grenadier at TRU as well as remnants of the wave at Walmart. At that WM I picked up two Vipers, one Cobra Trooper and a Hazard Viper.

Maradona
10-03-2011, 04:53 PM
Yes. I finally ran in to the Renegades wave at WM, but $8.44 a figure seemed too expensive to stock up too heavily. I picked up a Cobra Trooper, Iron Grenadier, and Hazard-Viper. The case of 12 is only $82.99 at HTS, so less than $7 a figure, plus tax and free shipping is the way I went. I'll have doubles of the four Renegade figures if anyone needs them.

El Chuxter
10-03-2011, 05:07 PM
Two different things concern me:

1) Renegades stuff is not moving. I've passed on the two vehicles (just short on cash last month) a few times. The VAMP Mark II(I?), which is something like the fourteenth modern-era VAMP, and flies off shelves, despite having a Steel Brigade driver. The Renegades-based Cobra helicopter, which looks cooler and is right up the "weirdness" alley of late 80s Cobra tech, rots on shelves. The nearest WM put out what looks like two cases worth of the figures over a week ago. I passed on them; the aesthetic was just too cartoony for me to justify buying the limited number of figures they're making, though I've considered getting Firefly and CC. It looks like everyone else is passing on all of them, too. These could be serious pegwarmers moving forward, which doesn't bode well for future Joe products, nor does it send a strong message to Hasbro about the viability of more Renegades episodes.

2) A lot of stores have been restocking. I've seen the first wave of 30th Anniversary figures at several WM's, a couple of TRU's, and even at least one Target. So it looks like almost everyone skipped over all the stuff between the Arctic Destro wave and this. Don't know about the rest of you (well, actually, I figure it's the same boat I'm in), but there's a lot of stuff in between I'm missing. And I ain't talking 'bout no stupid Croc Master repaint.

Also, slightly off-subject, but I figure there are some Marvel collectors here (who would be more familiar with SAW Viper than everyone else in the Marvel forum would be). I've noticed a few of the Captain America movie Deluxe figures re-use GIJoe accessories, particularly ROC-era armor pieces. However, I've been looking at the Hydra Soldier as the possible basis for a SAW Viper custom. Sure, it's a tad oversized, but so was the most (in)famous SAW Viper. Can anyone tell me: how's the figure look out of the package, and does he seem like he'd be a decent starting point for the big SOB?

RooJay
10-04-2011, 04:13 PM
I don't know how good a SAW Viper he'd make since I always hated the design of that character, and have mostly expunged the memory of it. I can tell you that he stands the same height as the Hazard Viper. Are you asking about the Hydra flame-thrower guy from the deluxe line, or the regular Hydra trooper?

I have managed to find just the one Hazard Viper so far, and that was at Walgreens. Good news (?!) is that GI Joes have become so expensive that most other retailers have finally caught up with Walgreen's ridiculously inflated pricing! No other retailers in my area seem to have anything else in stock other than a handful of Arctic Destros and Jungle Vipers each. Sad!

El Chuxter
10-04-2011, 07:58 PM
I was looking at the deluxe (flamethrower) version. He wouldn't be 100% faithful to the original, but keep the general aesthetic. The design was stupid, granted, but it seems fitting that he should be made, since half his victims have been. But I doubt a hot pink guy with a machine gun is a likely candidate for a figure anytime soon.

RooJay
10-05-2011, 02:25 AM
Yeah, I'm certain the flamethrower Hydra soldier stands pretty tall.

RooJay
10-07-2011, 02:22 AM
So that Sideshow Crimson Guard looks pretty sweet! Best thing about it in my opinion is that the exclusive headsculpt would make for an excellent Duke! The horrific Frankenstein sculpt they actually used for Duke is what kept me out of this line in the first place. Now I'm really wishing I had picked him up!

figrin bran
10-30-2011, 09:36 PM
I found and bought Renegades Duke, SE, CC and Firefly at Target yesterday!

El Chuxter
10-30-2011, 10:55 PM
Those have been pegwarming here. Hard. I've only got Firefly and CC, and might get a second Firefly (not to use as Firefly, of course... I'm thinking a Night Creeper Demolitions Expert). Can't pull the trigger on Snake Eyes, who looks like a minor repaint of a ROC figure, or Duke, who's inferior to the POC Duke that's a better Renegades Duke than the actual Renegades Duke.

Seriously, these are pegwarming so hard around here, it makes me worry about all the cool stuff we've seen slated for the near future.

And, on a related note, does the Fan Club subscription dealio look like a massive ripoff to anyone else? Of all the figures shown so far, only Iron Klaw is even remotely interesting, and his helmet is so narrow it looks ridiculous. Admittedly, they haven't shown Big Boa or Cover Girl, but I doubt Cover Girl will be more than a minor kitbash of Scarlett and Lady Jaye, and Big Boa's someone I can live without.

Maradona
10-30-2011, 10:58 PM
I'm leaning towards getting the subscription, but I want to know price and packaging information before jumping in.

El Chuxter
10-31-2011, 11:51 AM
I figure it's something like $50 to join the club and be eligible. Then it's likely to be at least $10 per figure, and probably a good deal more.

The rumor list, mostly confirmed by pics, that I saw read as follows (with my comments):

Quarrel: Awesome. An American figure who was repainted for Brazil as a new character, then had the remake of the American figure painted as the same character she already was, but wearing the uniform of the Brazilian character, now repainted as the Brazilian character who's never previously existed in the US. :rolleyes:

Nano-Bat: Something I'd buy at retail, but not something I need.

Topside: Who? Looks like a Valor vs Venom guy. Turns out he's some 1990 dude I've never heard of. If he came out then and I don't remember him at all, he's easily skipped.

Dice: I'll admit, he looks nice. But all the parts have been previously released. And I already bought the figures with all the parts at various clearance sales, so I can make the same figure, or update him myself if I want.

Iron Klaw: Another I'd buy at retail. He'd make an awesome Iron Grenadier general. But the helmet is too small and looks weird, and he's less a "real" GIJoe character than Quarrel.

Jinx: She looks really nice. Unfortunately, she's the Sigma Six character, who is completely different. Trained by the Blind Master or not, the RAH Jinx isn't dumb enough to blindfold herself before going into battle.

Barrel Roll: I actually thought this was a later vintage pilot. But he's a VvV guy. (So the opposite of Topside, I guess.) He's not very cool looking, and his specialty is so stupid that Budo laughs at him.

Sure Fire: Another VvV guy. And an MP. I can buy one MP on the Joe team. (Especially when he has a dog. Joe-scaled dog toys are awesome.) But a second one? Naaaah.

(Tan) Grunt: Oh boy! Because some guy at Hasbro said in 1983, "Crap, we've got three new vehicles that we didn't design pilots for," we got tan Grunt, gold Clutch, and grey Cobra Officer. It only looked cool on the Cobra Officer. And the pack-in hang glider they show looks like butt.

Cover Girl: Can't say much without having seen a pic. I just really suspect she'll be a Scarlett head on a Lady Jaye body, which isn't anything to write home about. I know they can't use Indiana Jones parts, so, unless they sculpted a new leather coat, she won't have that distinctive feature. Even if she's still unfinished, I like my custom more.

Big Boa: Given the amount of unique tooling required and that he's an original character who'd be tough to customize (that head gave me nightmares when I tried to figure out how to do it), he's the only one on the list who'd tempt me. But if I didn't pull the trigger on their overpriced Dial-Tone, I won't do it for Big Boa. Guy never even showed up in the comics, and, hey, Hasbro will eventually make a "Weapon X Wolverine" figure.

TNT: Who? I not only never heard of him, I can't find anything about him. Or her. Or it.

Maradona
10-31-2011, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the list. This is the first year I've been a member of the fan club. I always wanted to join, but this year I felt I could afford it in hopes of qualifying for this year's Joe Con Mission Brazil set (I've never owned a Joe Con set). Unfortunately, it sold out during my transaction to join the club - literally during the process of checking out. I was devastated, but I got Dial Tone who was a good figure. I may rejoin the club if the next set looks worthwhile. If the monthly figures turn out to be decent and in keeping with the 25th style packaging AND within reasonable price ranges, I think I'll buy into it.

You know, collecting is a double edged sword. I want to get cool figures, but I am reticent to part with money and short on adequate space.

El Chuxter
11-02-2011, 02:35 PM
So, they can't make Baroness in her cool Renegades armor. They can't make the Bio-Vipers. They can't make Billy. They can't make unmasked Snake Eyes. Heck, for their mad-on for Snake Eyes, Duke, and Cobra Commander resculpts, there are several vintage costumes they still refuse to make.

But we can get something as absolutely moronic as a "Zombie Viper"? :rolleyes:

Sorry. I just don't understand the collective fanboy love for such a stupid, ineffective movie monster.

Maradona
11-02-2011, 08:19 PM
Zombie Viper is a horrible idea. If maybe Hasbro had brought back an old EcoWarrior/ToxoViper-type concept, they might have gotten away with a similar angle, but a straight out zombie in the ranks of Cobra makes no sense.

El Chuxter
11-02-2011, 10:57 PM
The only reason I might get one is if the pieces can be easily interchanged with the Hazard Viper to make a new Toxo-Zombie. Or maybe the BAT; some sort of android trooper that uses body parts of dead troopers. Otherwise, this is one figure that, regardless of how well-made it might be, I have zero interest in.

It looks from other forums that a lot of people are looking forward to it, so, hey, maybe I'll be helping them out by leaving it on the pegs.

In other news, it looks like there's a running change on the 30th Steel Brigade figure. It looks like now they're using the POC Snake Eyes (Commando?) body with different paint applications and tan rockets in the backpack. I read about it earlier, then saw it tonight. Though not a huge fan of the Steel Brigade, I figured it was a big enough difference to warrant getting the one they had to go with the other two (carded basic and VAMP driver "Delta") to form a proper Joe backup squad.

Maradona
11-02-2011, 11:38 PM
After having just studied the pics of the Zombie Viper for the first time, I think I will pick up a few. As you mention, some of the parts might come it handy. It might be useful to have a small army of the undead in this scale for Halloween or Marvel displays. I still think the name is horrible, though.

RooJay
11-03-2011, 03:24 AM
Zombies are only moronic if they don't fit your personal tastes - most of us think they're pretty cool, and I plan army building them (assuming Hasbro actually decided to make enough of them to be found on store pegs!) Now Toxo-Zombies...there's your moronic idea!

El Chuxter
11-03-2011, 02:59 PM
That's okay. You can have my share of them. lol

I've never cared for zombies in general because they aren't a logical threat. Either they're shambling, brainless hulks and easily defeated, or the plague or whatever that made them is so powerful there'd be no survivors to worry about fighting them.

The Toxo-Zombie is a rather corny idea itself, but it has a vintage counterpart (admittedly, it was in what was probably the last year any vintage Joe toy wasn't insanely stupid). But I always interpreted them as Toxo-Vipers who have been so contaminated with, uh, whatever the sludge is that they play around with that they're severely brain-damaged and suffering from a few dozen serious wasting diseases and at least ten forms of terminal cancer. And they get sort of pushed to the frontlines because they're even more disposable than BATs or any healthy human Cobra.

The Toxo-Zombie or cybernetic Zombie Viper I can buy. I can see Cobra punishing their washouts so harshly that they wind up as Toxo-Zombies, or incorporating dead parts into BATs, whether to save a few bucks on components or for the sheer gross-out effect. But raising the dead? That doesn't make sense to me; they'd be unstoppable if they could create and control zombies--particularly if the zombification is contagious.

It is a really nice-looking figure (would've been nicer in actual dead-flesh tones, but I can see why they went this route), but I'd prefer to have a Renegades Bio-Viper.

El Chuxter
11-03-2011, 03:04 PM
Of course, having typed that out, I find my eyes going back to the phrase "sheer gross-out effect," and I can totally see Cobra tossing some servos in a corpse for that purpose, and now I want the damn thing. :) I dunno about army building them, though, unless they throw in a running change at some point.

Maradona
11-03-2011, 05:03 PM
I can totally see Cobra tossing some servos in a corpse for that purpose,

If you've seen the Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex series (highly recommended, btw), then you've seen the usage of the term "remote corpse" to describe remote control the dead bodies that were used for nefarious purposes in one particular episode. I think that Sucker Punch also used scientifically reanimated bodies. The combination of MARS, Cobra, and the sinister work of Dr. Mindbender might be able come up with something like that. Despite that, I still dislike the name Zombie Viper.

RooJay
11-04-2011, 02:42 AM
If you're willing to buy into the fantasy of zombies (which I find to be the same as buying into just about any other type of fantasy - they're no less logical than say Jedis, or for the purpose of this discussion, an elite branch of a snake themed terrorist organization that all have the same face, the same job as accountants, and who all go by the name Fred) they can be all kinds of fun!

Of course, having typed that out, I find my eyes going back to the phrase "sheer gross-out effect," and I can totally see Cobra tossing some servos in a corpse for that purpose, and now I want the damn thing. :) I dunno about army building them, though, unless they throw in a running change at some point.

Oh, I plan to make some running changes of my own with these guys! It's going to be off the hook, the kind of customizing I'm planning on doing!

El Chuxter
11-16-2011, 02:39 PM
Is there still a Joe Q&A, and do we still participate?

There's a question that's bugged me for a very long time, and I'd love to get it asked:

Hasbro has stated that they like to keep a small group of "core characters" available at all times. This usually is interpreted as being Cobra Commander, Snake Eyes, Duke, and Storm Shadow. And, so, we have gotten a lot of resculpts of these guys since the 25th Anniversary line started, many of them quite similar to one another. However, each of these characters (as well as other important characters) was released many times, in different uniforms, during the lifetime of the original Real American Hero line. Some of the uniforms are best left forgotten (orange mohawk Zartan, anyone?), but several are unique uniforms that would look outstanding re-envisioned with modern technology. Some of the highest-potential designs seem to be 1991 Cobra Commander (with the red mask), 1993 Cobra Commander (seriously, no hooded Commander in black yet?), 1991 Snake Eyes (with the "Jason Voorhees" mask), 1993 Snake Eyes (the first Ninja Force version), 1993 Duke (desert camo and the larger helmet), and 1992 Storm Shadow (black and white pattern)--and that's just those four characters, and not including possible figures based on comic-only or cartoon-only costumes (like unmasked Snake Eyes). What are the chances of seeing any of these (or other updated, unused vintage outfits) in the line, given that we'll be seeing these four characters in new forms as long as the line lasts?

Maradona
11-17-2011, 11:23 AM
Good question. I hope the 25th style of GI Joe figures is not abandoned for retail. The subscription figures are certainly done in that iteration.

jpins
12-08-2011, 01:50 PM
Amazon.com has the Sky Striker jet for $22.99 right now.

El Chuxter
12-08-2011, 09:35 PM
If I had room for extras, I'd be all over that like Anakin on Padme. :lipsrsealed:

Maradona
12-08-2011, 11:35 PM
It's down to $19.99 now.

El Chuxter
12-08-2011, 11:41 PM
What a bargain. This is a bargain for me.
Well, still not quite. I still don't have the room. But holy snot, everyone else needs to grab that mofo.

Maradona
12-08-2011, 11:47 PM
And Amazon has no tax, apart from potentially free shipping. Now if only I had a USS Flagg to carry this new squadron (and by squadron, I mean 3 - which I doubt qualifies for squadron status) of Sky Strikers...

Maradona
12-10-2011, 07:21 PM
UPDATE!!! The Sky Striker is now $16.99 at Amazon - no tax. At that price, not even Ross can compete. The Captain America "big" vehicle is $11.99 and the Thundertank is $9.99. I ordered the lot of them, so shipping is also free.

Maradona
12-13-2011, 02:32 PM
The trailer for next summer's film was encouraging. I get the suspicion that we won't be seeing as many of this movie's figures languishing at Rite Aid, Ross, TJ Maxx, and Marshalls in three years.

figrin bran
12-16-2011, 01:04 AM
Christmas came early - I got my wave 4 case in the mail today! Now all I need to find at retail are Renegades Storm Shadow and an extra Scarlett or two.

El Chuxter
12-16-2011, 04:18 PM
Scored the entire new wave today. Snake Eyes is the only Renegades figure I don't have; he just seems way too close to every previous Snake Eyes to justify getting him, and doesn't appear to be overloaded with awesome new accessories like the Storm Shadow. I've opened all but Ripcord, who is a cool-looking figure, but, uh, who is he supposed to be? Not any Ripcord I've seen (though closest, I think, to the version from the new IDW-verse).

I got two of the Troopers. I love the interchangeable heads. He seems a bit light on the accessories, though, compared to the rest. Storm Shadow definitely makes up for that. He's got so many ninja weapons, many of them new (or at least that I haven't seen) that they could easily supply the entire wave. I would've paid $7 for the fan alone, to give it to Jinx.

Scarlett and Tunnel Rat are replacing the earlier versions. They're simply awesome. I have no idea what half of the things that come with TR are, though. Rifle, pistol, detonator, flashlight, computer, phone/walkie talkie, shovel, bomb detonation robot, and, uhhhh... it looks like a frying pan and a camping lantern. But I'm sure that's not what they are.

BTW, the Cobra Trooper has a hole on his back (at the bottom of the sculpted shirt) for something, but nothing he comes with fits right. I gerry-rigged the handcuffs, but they're clearly not what was intended to go there. Any ideas?

Tycho
12-16-2011, 08:19 PM
Just a reminder, that our own ex-member Stillakid is the cinemaphotographer for the new GI Joe movie!

I keep in touch with him on Facebook as I've personally known him for years.

El Chuxter
12-16-2011, 08:29 PM
If the new movie doesn't suck, I'll say, "Awesome!" If it does, I'll say, "My deepest condolences."

I miss stilla.

Tycho
12-16-2011, 08:40 PM
I miss stilla.

I miss him bringing new life (and controversy) to these boards.

El Chuxter
12-16-2011, 10:57 PM
It does, at least, look more promising than the first. I saw nothing that made me cringe outright. And the presence of Red Ninjas makes me think that someone at least looked at some of the source material. I understand Bruce Willis's character is Joe Colton, which would be frickin' awesome, and that Sergeant Slaughter may cameo as himself.

El Chuxter
12-19-2011, 12:52 AM
Pretty big news to report. I went to several stores today, looking for that elusive last-minute "only thing I want" Santa Claus gift. I stopped at three Walgreens, since a friend of mine told me he'd seen Shadow Tracker and Crazylegs there (albeit months ago).

At the third one, I saw not only Skydive, but Sci-Fi, Lifeline, and Law & Order. Haven't heard anyone reporting these guys in the wild yet. I passed; $12 is a bit high given how quickly figures seem to be clearing out of the stores lately. But if anyone wants them, they were at the Beaumont Walgreens

Maradona
12-19-2011, 01:03 AM
$12 is steep, but good find nonetheless.

JediTricks
12-20-2011, 03:38 PM
Just a reminder, that our own ex-member Stillakid is the cinemaphotographer for the new GI Joe movie!

I keep in touch with him on Facebook as I've personally known him for years.According to the listings I've found, it's Stephen F. Windon who is the cinematographer, who is 52 and from Australia and has been a known cinematographer since the late '80s and not named Brian. Is it possible you misunderstood, and he's doing steadicam work on the film, since he is a member of that elite group of camera operators?

Maradona
12-20-2011, 09:45 PM
Apparently, the Resolute 7-packs have hit Ross. I hit a couple, but no luck.

El Chuxter
12-20-2011, 09:52 PM
Found some tonight. :) Didn't expect to see jack, since I'd been there yesterday, but someone told me they were getting the Quick Kick at $4, which is a price I'd be willing to pay for him. Saw some Resolute goodies instead.

Maradona
12-22-2011, 12:26 AM
Picked up 3 sets of these today, along with Quick Kick and Spirit. Ross has a good track record with these 7 packs, which is keeping me from ordering the Dreadnoks and Marauders sets from BBTS. It's a risk, but hopefully it will pay off in a couple of years.

Tycho
12-23-2011, 11:59 AM
According to the listings I've found, it's Stephen F. Windon who is the cinematographer, who is 52 and from Australia and has been a known cinematographer since the late '80s and not named Brian. Is it possible you misunderstood, and he's doing steadicam work on the film, since he is a member of that elite group of camera operators?

Probably. I'm not exactly sure what he does. But I think they wrapped the GI Joe movie before he could ruin everyone's Christmas by discussing religion and politics ;) J/K. He's a great guy and we need to bring him back.

seclorus
01-09-2012, 11:42 PM
Not sure if this is wide spread, but one of the local Wal-Marts here in Vegas had all of their GI Joe items on clearance. It was both the renegades and the 30th anniversary figs. They are $5, I bought a couple, but it was mainly Cobra Commanders and Fire Flys. Unfortunately I couldn't find any vehicles. Keep your eyes open!

El Chuxter
01-10-2012, 12:00 AM
I haven't seen that here, but I think WM clearances are usually at the store level.

I'm army-building that Firefly if he goes on clearance here. He looks nothing like Firefly, but he makes a fine Night Creeper demolitions expert.

figrin bran
02-02-2012, 01:32 AM
The Retaliation toys don't look that bad actually.

I'm definitely getting the Cobra Trooper and Red Ninja and possibly CC and the Joe greenshirt trooper.

RooJay
02-02-2012, 01:59 AM
I agree, I think they all look pretty cool! Hopefully Hasbro actually ships them to retail, unlike most of the GI Joe figures they've produced in the past year...

JediTricks
02-02-2012, 03:53 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/life/comics/story/2012-02-01/GI-Joe-Retaliation-movie-toys/52918456/1

I'll be darned, these actually look decent! After the last movie's horrible figure lineup, only to be confirmed by a horrible movie, this is starting to shape up to be something that MIGHT not suck.

Maradona
02-03-2012, 12:20 AM
I agree that the new movie's toys have exceeded what I expected (and dreaded): spring loaded action features. I await to see what the vehicles will be like. Hopefully, there will be another large item. Hasbro doesn't seem too shy about large vehicles anymore, not that the SHIELD heli-carrier for their Avengers line looks too hot. Speaking of large items, have any of you seen the TMNT playset. I think I'll pick that up as it might work with either MU or GI Joe.

Maradona
02-05-2012, 02:02 AM
Just when I was hoping to avoid HTS at SDCC, they announce the Shockwave/HISS.

El Chuxter
02-05-2012, 10:16 AM
Overall, the Retaliation figures look excellent, and the designs are close enough to what Joe "should" be that I think they might actually get the movie right this time.

Maradona
02-05-2012, 10:54 AM
I'm looking forward to the movie more so now than before seeing the trailers and the figures.

Has anyone had any luck finding the HISS Scout and Cycle Armor at Ross? I've come up empty so far.

El Chuxter
02-05-2012, 12:07 PM
I have a friend who found 'em in Nevada. Not seen them myself... but, then again, I had someone snag me both from Canada. Wish I'd known they'd be at Ross; would've been a lot cheaper.

figrin bran
02-06-2012, 10:59 PM
I'm looking forward to the movie more so now than before seeing the trailers and the figures.

Has anyone had any luck finding the HISS Scout and Cycle Armor at Ross? I've come up empty so far.

I found the HISS scout on Saturday but there were no signs of the cycle armor.

Maradona
02-07-2012, 10:08 AM
I found the HISS scout on Saturday but there were no signs of the cycle armor.

I'm still batting .000 on these, but if I find an extra Cycle Armor, I'll pick one up for you.

mtriv73
02-18-2012, 11:36 AM
Finally got a sky striker and put it together. All I can say is, what a piece of junk. The plastic is flimsy, nothing fits together tightly, and a knock off company could have done a better job with molding the landing gear. The missiles and rear stabilizers fall off if you look at them funny. I'm really glad I waited and didn't pay full price for it. It will make me think twice about buying any joe vehicles in the future though.

Phantom-like Menace
02-27-2012, 12:30 AM
Take this for what you will, but my brother and I have nine between us, and our rear stabilizers are quite snug. I kind of had a problem with SDCC Starscream's stabilizers, but I switched them out with another Sky Striker, and they're fine on both now.

RooJay
02-28-2012, 01:50 AM
Yeah, I only have two of them, but this is not my experience either. I found it to be a pretty good repro of the original; even better than expected, in fact.

mtriv73
02-28-2012, 06:32 AM
Dug what's left of the original out of a box and I have to admit my memories trump reality and I may have been a little harsh. It still irks me that the missiles fall off so easily and the gun pod that I used to use as a handle to fly it around won't stay attached. My 4 year old broke the switch to swing the wings the first time he picked it up (not that it's really necessary.)

El Chuxter
03-16-2012, 08:39 PM
I've finally found the Lifeline wave, and here's a little adjustment I made to the Zombie Viper that keeps the awesomeness of the figure and the awesomeness of Vipers, but eliminates the suck of zombies. (Sorry. I frickin' hate zombies. When they went to monster school, they had to wear their helmets when they rode the short bus.)

In my mind, these aren't zombified Cobra Troopers, but corpses with BAT parts. They're even less effective than regular BATs, but Mindbender was going more for the psychological "gross-out" factor of fighting a rotting corpse than making an efficient killing machine. I replaced the right forearm with a BAT forearm, and gave him the machine gun from a Cobra Shock Trooper. As you can see, it required one of the clear bands Hasbro loves, as well as boiling, since they weren't considerate enough to make the parts easily compatible. It was tough to get a clear picture this evening, unfortunately.

So, uh, not sure how to rotate the picture here....

Maradona
03-17-2012, 08:46 AM
Cool adjustment. I'm still waiting to run into more of this figure. I've only got one and would like a few more. Something, though, is screaming Ross/Marshalls/TJ Maxx to me, when it comes to these last waves of 30th.

RooJay
03-20-2012, 02:16 AM
I've found five of them so far, but gave one to my brother, and I'm on the lookout for more! The latest wave is amazing, by the way! Sci-Fi, Lifeline, and Airtight are three of the best GI Joe figures ever, in my opinion!

El Chuxter
03-30-2012, 03:45 PM
Found the HISS Scout and the Ninja Cycle at two different Ross stores today (one toy at each location). I just opened the Ninja Cycle.

Holy crap. That's what this is. Pure, unadulterated crap. Ashiko is just a kitbash of Snake Eyes and Wraith, with some new armor that has honkin' huge attachments for the cycle (rendering him pretty much useless for collectors; even if you remove the arm and chest armor, he has giant holes permanently in his legs). The armor doesn't properly attach, falls off when you look at it, and allows for pretty much no posability. As a cycle, it's not bad, but you're stuck with a figure who looks like dung. Okay, he does come with about a half dozen assorted guns and knives for some reason, so it's not a total loss. I've got to struggle this thing back into motorcycle mode so it's got some use. Too bad; the concept is pretty cool. I'm a bit saddened they used the GIJoe name on this when we can't get stuff that appears to be solidly made (like Kwinn).

Unless you're a completist, don't get this. Throw your money in the sewer instead; at least maybe someone might find it and use it to buy food or something.

Maradona
03-30-2012, 08:21 PM
I'm still on the prowl for the HISS Scout.

figrin bran
03-30-2012, 11:12 PM
And to think I've been hunting for that cycle armor all this time. Which reminds me I should get around to opening the HISS scout sometime.

Joes along with most other Hasbro figure lines are BOGO at TRU this week. I don't suppose anyone's made some pretty good hauls? I saw someone's photo with 2 Renegades Storm Shadows and got so envious.

Maradona
03-31-2012, 03:38 PM
I was able to find two HISS Scouts today, but haven't opened them yet. At TRU, I was able to pick up a few Techno Vipers and Renegades Cobra Troops. I never thought I'd see these in the wild and I found them at two different places yesterday. I've never found a Renegades SS.

figrin bran
04-18-2012, 11:47 PM
Maradona, I'm sure you've heard this already but alas there's hope for those of us who are Renegades SS less. It seems Amazon has an upcoming Renegades 4 pack with SS, Red Ninja along with repacked Duke and SE.

I've even searched Walgreens for that SS but keep coming short so this is indeed welcome news.

Also, I bought the Avengers Quinjet not for my Marvel figures but for my Joes. It makes for a pretty good dropship and Ace from the 30th Skystriker looks pretty good piloting it.

Maradona
04-19-2012, 08:42 AM
That is great news. Hopefully, we'll be quick enough to get one when they are released. Just to be on the safe side, I'll order two (if I can) to cover you. I have a suspicion that some employee at Los Feliz TRU is taking SS, since I've saw that entire case assortment (minus SS) there so many times at opening during spring break.

I like the Quinjet, but haven't picked one up yet. Thanks for the tip. I was considering picking up the Helicarrier when it hit the inevitable Target 75% clearance or Ross/Marshalls. A few Cobra stickers might make it serviceable.

Maradona
04-22-2012, 09:09 AM
Have you seen the next wave (apparently) of 25th Anniversary Joes? They were found in the Philippines and are uniquely packaged. These seem destined for supermarkets here in Southern California.

El Chuxter
04-22-2012, 04:14 PM
25th? Who's in the wave? Was this one that got canceled, supposedly?

El Chuxter
04-22-2012, 04:22 PM
HOLY CRAP!!! I looked them up, and, oh man, I'm hoping those do wind up here. I won't even mind that the parts I got for Snake Eyes IV won't need to be used for that if I find this one. This is like the "everything fans keep asking for and we keep refusing to make" wave. If Billy were in it, I'd know it was an April Fool's joke.

Maradona
04-22-2012, 11:17 PM
HC indeed. Hopefully, these won't be impossible to find. I'll definitely be on the lookout.

Maradona
04-24-2012, 07:56 AM
And now with variants:

http://www.hisstank.com/gi-joe-news/gi-joe-movie-2/2012-gi-joe-basic-figure-repaints-11271/

El Chuxter
04-24-2012, 08:08 AM
At one per case with closeout store distribution, this makes finding them a bit scarier. :(

Maradona
04-24-2012, 01:22 PM
This will definitely be tricky.

El Chuxter
04-24-2012, 02:17 PM
Everyone want to just post here what they're looking for?

I want:
1x Cobra Commander (black, vintage VI color scheme)
1x Storm Shadow (black and white, vintage III color scheme)
1x Storm Shadow (black, white, and orange, vintage T'gin-zu homage)
as many Cobra Troopers as I can get my hands on (both versions--I only wanted the black until I realized the other is the more colorful early comic scheme, which hasn't been released on this mold)

If I can get either or both Dukes, I'll take 'em.

On the fence about Snake Eyes (blue, vintage version IV). I've got an unpainted custom already and, though this would save me some major painting, it looks like they re-used the torso from the SE3 update, with has a hole in the middle. Also on the fence about either Shipwreck--same story as the SE, plus this one looks like it has an insanely long neck.

No interest whatsoever in blue Cobra Commander or the VvV homage green Snake Eyes.

Maradona
04-24-2012, 09:59 PM
I'd like a full set of each variation and several black Cobra troops. I think, though, I'll be lucky to find even one of these.

El Chuxter
04-24-2012, 10:21 PM
I know my custom SE4 won't be as cleanly-painted as the actual Hasbro one. But I got that head (City Strike Snake Eyes) and was going to use a mix of the City Strike Snake Eyes and Duke for the body, which I think will look nicer than that stupid torso.

I can't believe how much mileage they've gotten out of a torso with a freakin' hole in the sternum!

Maradona
04-30-2012, 03:24 PM
The Amazon exclusive packs are up. I missed the Renegades set by seconds. It was in my cart and, as I checked out, it sold out.

El Chuxter
05-01-2012, 01:52 PM
I had a chance at both, and was sorely tempted.

But I got the three previously-available Renegades figures. $40 for a repainted Storm Shadow is a bit much, no matter how cool, and I have no need of a trenchcoat for Snake Eyes. $40 is also a bit much for the black Cobra Commander, given that all four of these figures (albeit in blue for CC) have "Ross" written all over them. (Not saying the Retaliation figures won't do well, since they might, but these particular figures will be shipping early and often. ROC Cobra Commander and Dr. Lewis were two of the best Joe figures ever made, and you can still find them at closeout stores.)

figrin bran
05-01-2012, 10:26 PM
That is great news. Hopefully, we'll be quick enough to get one when they are released. Just to be on the safe side, I'll order two (if I can) to cover you. I have a suspicion that some employee at Los Feliz TRU is taking SS, since I've saw that entire case assortment (minus SS) there so many times at opening during spring break.

I like the Quinjet, but haven't picked one up yet. Thanks for the tip. I was considering picking up the Helicarrier when it hit the inevitable Target 75% clearance or Ross/Marshalls. A few Cobra stickers might make it serviceable.

I've had the same suspicions about Renegades SS at that particular TRU.

The Amazon exclusive packs are up. I missed the Renegades set by seconds. It was in my cart and, as I checked out, it sold out.

Sorry to hear that! There were 11 left when I ordered my Renegades set so I barely made the cut.

El Chuxter
05-01-2012, 11:07 PM
I'm not trying to come across as a braggart, but I had no idea until recently how lucky I was to find Renegades Storm Shadow at all. And I actually left one on the pegs, thinking, "I'll get another for customs if he's as good as he looks, but not today."

Maradona
05-02-2012, 01:04 AM
Congrats, gentlemen. I'll keep trying to get the Renegades set, which the optimist in me hopes will end up like the MARS 3-pack still clogging the shelves at Big Lots. I remembered that it was a preview set three years ago. Who knows...?

Maradona
05-02-2012, 02:47 PM
The Renegades set is back online and I was able to score the figures. Act quickly, if you need them. Scalpers who have the sets up on eBay for as much as $250 might not make that much now.

El Chuxter
05-18-2012, 08:27 AM
Am I the only person who's pretty unimpressed with the SDCC Jinx?

Just curious. Everyone else online seems to be going ape over her. The lack of neck covering bothers me, and, frankly, looks stupid.

I like the yellow version, but not enough to pay SDCC prices.

Maradona
05-18-2012, 10:29 AM
Am I the only person who's pretty unimpressed with the SDCC Jinx?

Just curious. Everyone else online seems to be going ape over her. The lack of neck covering bothers me, and, frankly, looks stupid.

I like the yellow version, but not enough to pay SDCC prices.

Considering the line situation that is likely at SDCC, wanting her may be irrelevant. I think I'll ATTEMPT to pick her up, but the Shockwave HISS is the real prize for me at this year's HTS booth. If I can get two or three (completely unlikely, I know), I definitely will. I plan to be in line, as usual, around noon for preview night - though that did not work out for getting into the HTS line last year, I did get into it the year before. We shall see...

El Chuxter
05-18-2012, 11:25 AM
I wouldn't mind the Shockwave HISS (more for the 3.75" scale Soundwave and the BAT, though the HISS itself is sweet). I'm just not holding my breath.

Maradona
05-18-2012, 03:22 PM
Has anyone had luck with the Dollar General Joes? I've struck out so far, but will hopefully be searching in Bakersfield next Friday.

El Chuxter
05-18-2012, 05:11 PM
Nope.

Really hoping they at least become "Big Lots Joes" as well.

RooJay
05-21-2012, 07:49 AM
I came across the 'Dollar Store' Joes at a comic convention this past weekend, though they unfortunately turned out to be Hundred and Thirty Dollar store Joes.

Maradona
05-23-2012, 04:19 PM
So it looks like the movie has been pushed forward to a March 2013 release to accommodate 3D conversion.

JetsAndHeels
05-23-2012, 05:02 PM
So are the stores going to even sell these figures now? I know some stores already have them out on the pegs, but what about the places that are supposed to put them out next week? Geez, what a crazy move.

figrin bran
05-23-2012, 10:21 PM
Wow, of all the SW/Transformer/Joe/Marvel related fiascos Hasbro has been responsible for in recent months, this might take the cake!

El Chuxter
05-23-2012, 11:20 PM
This is really worrisome. Those figures are hitting already (I mentioned in the LA thread that I found the first four vehicles but passed since they'd be on sale at some point). I'm not sure it's possible to delay them. So we're probably getting a line of toys that don't closely resemble anything we know already, based on a sequel to a movie that sucked and the toyline bombed, without a movie for almost a year?

Best case, those figures will rot on shelves, some will be pulled, and all will wind up at Ross or clearance racks.

I'm really not liking what the logical outcome of this scenario is. I'm looking at my Renegades Tunnel Rat in front of my computer right now, and thinking he might just be one of the last Joes I'll have the opportunity to buy for quite some time. :(

RooJay
05-24-2012, 08:08 AM
Man, it must suck to be Hasbro right now! First, all the layoffs due to declining profits, and now they have a mountain of movie tie-in toys to move and no movie to support it! They can't be happy about this! I don't personally believe that a media tie-in is necessary to sell toys if you have good product, but I suppose we shall see. Who can really tell if general consumers will consider this 'good product' anyway?

Maradona
05-24-2012, 08:20 AM
Ross/Marshalls/TJ Maxx are sure to get these toys eventually. I picked up a few figures yesterday. The only ones I actually liked are the Swamp Viper, Red Ninja, and the Joe trooper; the CC and Cobra Trooper were not too good. I'm waiting for HTS to send me the case I bought before I had seen the figures up close. I will take back the figures I bought once the case arrives.

I wonder if TRU scheduled a huge display to coincide with the previous release date, along with other retail chain tie-ins. These factors have to be nailed down well in advance, I would think, so I suspect there will still be a large Joe presence at retail come the original release date. Ultimately, I think this is a marketing and scheduling disaster for Hasbro. They could have continued to release the PoC/30th line throughout this year.

El Chuxter
05-24-2012, 08:32 AM
I've seen speculation on other sites that they might do stuff like mass-produced the Dollar General Joes, release canceled figures like Kwinn, and/or put out some Retaliation figures that were updates and repaints (CG, Alley Viper), albeit on new cards. I doubt it.

I can honestly see one of the big retailers saying next year, "So, you want us to carry a movie line for the sequel to a movie that bombed. We still have figures from the first that we can't unload. And this is after you sent us figures for this movie a year in advance, then delayed the movie (basically a huge vote of no-confidence on your part), and we had to unload all this %$#@ at clearance so we didn't have to pay taxes on it. Oh, and the line just doesn't sell well overall [since they can't see it's a few pegwarmers that keep clogging up the chain and people want the non-pegwarmer figures]. Uh, thanks but no thanks."

I'm now wondering if passing on those vehicles was a good idea. Couldn't have known this yesterday morning, though--couldn't have even expected it.

JediTricks
05-24-2012, 02:32 PM
Wow, this is an impressive misstep on Hasbro's part.

"It is increasingly evident that 3D resonates with movie-goers globally and together with Paramount, we made the decision to bring fans an even more immersive entertainment experience," said Brian Goldner, Hasbro's President and CEO.

Except that it's only resonating overseas, not in the US where trending is down. 3D conversion is only a moneygrab, there's never been artistic merit in it. To pull the plug on a film so very late in the game suggests market research was showing a very poor response from theatergoers, that their upfront interest was low (or non-existent since there's been nary a peep about the film in media or trailers in quite a while) and they were looking to lose A LOT of money. Honestly, I cannot imagine how they thought pulling the plug this late could be a good idea unless they were looking at a single-digit opening weekend, and on the toy side, it's a disaster for their relationship with retailers.

El Chuxter
05-24-2012, 03:01 PM
I've got to think this was Paramount and not Hasbro. There's no good outcome for Hasbro from this unless they REALLY scramble at a rate that they've never scrambled before, and that's unlikely. Meanwhile, Paramount only cares about the movie itself.

Making it worse, I actually started reading reviews of the figures. I'm not paying $10 per figure if they're getting rid of joints that have been integral to Joe design for ages. They don't even have customization potential if you do that. (And I mean you can't use their parts; no way am I wasting good parts to fix what Hasbro dropped the ball on with these guys.) I'm not going to be the only collector thinking this way. This line will bomb so hard it will make Rise of Cobra look like the frickin' Cabbage Patch Kids back in 1984.

JediTricks
05-24-2012, 04:59 PM
Hasbro's a backer and producer, they should either have final say OR they were stupid for giving that away.

It's too bad Hasbro's dropped the ball so much with this line, the fact that this movie has vehicles from the ACTUAL GI Joe history should have been a home run all on its own, but instead they have to crap on their existing figure library while raising prices at the same time.

Maradona
05-24-2012, 09:41 PM
I have only opened four figures (and the Water Moccasin pilot) and two are down right terrible. The Red Ninja and GI Joe trooper were fine, as was the cool look of the Swamp Viper, but the rest are very disappointing. I pre-ordered a case from HTS to get the figures for $7.91, but even that is too much for the quality I've so far observed. I think I can save some money thanks to this line.

As for the film debacle, I wonder if Hasbro just takes GI Joe for granted. The near constant change of the past two decades indicates a lack of clearly defined, direct purpose for the toy's narrative. In the past several years, there have been three mutually exclusive cartoon iterations and four figure style changes (Sigma 6, 25th, PoC/30th, and the movie lines). I think Hasbro is trying to apply the Transformers model (also one constant change - albeit financially successful) on the Joes and it is not working. In a decade where our nation's troops have been in constant deployment against "a ruthless terrorist organization," Hasbro hasn't capitalized.

El Chuxter
05-24-2012, 09:55 PM
Actually, I'd consider the 25th, Rise of Cobra, Pursuit of Cobra, and 30th figures to be the same line, albeit with different aesthetics. I'd consider the Retaliation figures to be part of the line, too, but sorta like the first few waves of AOTC figures were technically Star Wars (as have been a few scattered figures since), just many of them were downright marred by action features.

Resolute, Renegades, the Hama continuation, and the new IDW-verse have all been popular. Hasbro could easily make a combined line based on those four continuities, maybe even in a combined Rise of Cobra/Retaliation line. Heck, they could even keep all five media going (Resolute on at night, Renegades on during the day--the Hamaverse and IDW-verse have proven they're not clashing). They do, every so often, show that they know what we want and what will be successful... then produce a billion Renegades Cobra Commanders.

El Chuxter
05-25-2012, 11:40 AM
Anyone know what the street dates for figures was supposed to be? None of the stores around here seem to have gotten the message that the street date was no longer valid, and searching for it just gets me inundated with articles about the movie date changing.

Maradona
05-26-2012, 09:52 PM
This weekend was the original street date, I believe.

El Chuxter
05-27-2012, 12:17 AM
Thanks--I actually found it earlier today, but forgot to respond.

Still haven't seen anything, but Target has a space for them, presumably for tomorrow. What'll be interesting to see is whether stores had enough time to correct their Sunday circulars.

El Chuxter
05-27-2012, 12:33 AM
Well, crap in a hat.

Other sites are reporting that, according to Variety, Hasbro has asked stores to send everything back. Which probably means that what's in the stores will get put out and never restocked (at least in 2012), and what's in the distribution centers will be shipped back. For sale later, to be destroyed, or to wind up at Ross? Who knows?

Hasbro also claims to not be concerned about the loss of Joe in the toy aisle until next year.

Christ on a cracker, how can they botch this line so badly? Every time we think they've bottomed out, they dig a bit further.

Rush out the frickin' Crimson Guard and Cobra Trooper in three or four different color schemes, and re-release the hell out of the most popular 30th Anniversary figures. Heck, put the damned Retaliation Red Ninja on a card; he looks the same as the classic version and the mold's been available already. They could actually throw together a stopgap line that would outsell Joe sales overall for the past three years if they cut out all potential pegwarmers, thus actually encouraging retailers to order more movie crap next year!

The lack of vision at Hasbro bugs the $%^& out of me sometimes. I get tired of saying that I want to give them money and they make it really tough to do so.

Maradona
05-27-2012, 08:50 AM
I also read that report. It's a shame that yet another opportunity is lost...

I drove over 100 miles to Bakersfield on Friday to see Morrissey in concert and I visited their three Dollar General stores in search of the elusive DG Joes. At the first one, there weren't any Joes. I asked an employee there, explaining that I'd driven up from Los Angeles. She was very kind and checked the back, but they had nothing. She then offered, since she was leaving work, to let me follow her to another DG that was across town, so I did. When I got there, this DG had one each of SE, CC, and SW. The girl then went to find a friend who worked in the back to see if there were more, so I could complete the set. There weren't, but I was directed to another DG. No luck there. The employee mentioned that they only order the Joes after they have sold out and they only order a set at a time.

Ultimately, the concert was outstanding (the best of the 8 times I've seen him) and the $40 spent in gas for the round trip was not horrible, considering that I combined both the show and the search. The girl said that Dollar General is expanding throughout California, with the regional management office already located in Orange County. These stores will be in the Southern California area soon, she claimed. Will they be soon enough to make it in time to provide these Joes or their impending variants? Time will tell...

El Chuxter
05-28-2012, 04:54 PM
I apparently live in the only region of the country where every store (except one TRU, which put out vehicles a couple of days early) followed the street date, then followed the edict to send everything back (again, except this TRU, which, well, you can imagine how much was there a day after their BOGO sale started, given they're the only store around with anything at all--I had my pick of the motorcycles). :(

Anyone know who within Hasbro I could send an old-school paper letter to (since I'm assuming it would carry more weight than an e-mail), who might actually read it and might take it seriously? This is one humongous fustercluck at all levels. "A week before figures go out? Bam! Movie's delayed nine months. Hey, fans, whatever's out there is out there; you can buy it, but there won't be more until next year. Yo, stores: don't tell the fans, but send that $%^* back right now, because we ain't putting anything out until the movie and don't care if you give the space to Avengers or something."

This is a line that could have ENORMOUS potential if they weren't handling it like a bunch of brain-damaged toddlers.

That said, I really would hate to be a Hasbro rep at Comic-Con this year. Even if it's not their doing, they're going to get some serious crap from a lot of fans.

Only good thing to come out of this: I got some Renegades figures on clearance for custom fodder. And, with no toyline for the foreseeable future, I won't feel bad getting that Amazon Renegades set if it's still available.

figrin bran
05-29-2012, 09:52 PM
I bought the Fangboat on Saturday at TRU, fearing that I may never see another one.

And whether it's Joes or Transformers or Star Wars or Marvel Universe and movie lines, those SDCC Hasbro reps are really going to hear it. Failures have abounded at all of their action figure lines.

RooJay
05-30-2012, 08:09 AM
I've heard that most Target stores either did not get the memo to return the product, or did not comply. I visited two of the Targets in my area yesterday, and was able to pick up most of what I wanted. Between the two stores, I saw most of the first wave of figures minus Cobra Commander, the new versions of the AWE Striker, Water Moccasin, and Sky Hawk (whatever they're calling them now) the HISS Tank, a three pack, the motorcycles, and a role-play pistol.
Did anyone else catch that apparently Roadblock is now a ninja too? At least, that's what it says on the back of the package, and I've seen artwork on some of the packaging that even shows him with an Arashikage clan tattoo on his bicep.:cross-eye:tired:

Maradona
05-30-2012, 08:25 AM
Intriguingly, HTS sent me shipping notices yesterday for the Retaliation stuff I pre-ordered (HISS, 3-packs, and the wave one case). I really expected the order to be cancelled, since Hasbro has decided to forego a mass release. As soon as they arrive, I'll be taking some of the figures back to Target for the ones I foolishly opened (the Cobra Trooper and the Cobra Commander).

El Chuxter
05-30-2012, 08:46 AM
Did anyone else catch that apparently Roadblock is now a ninja too? At least, that's what it says on the back of the package, and I've seen artwork on some of the packaging that even shows him with an Arashikage clan tattoo on his bicep.:cross-eye:tired:

They're going even more overboard with the ninja stuff now than they did with Ninja Force back in the 90s.

It's bothered me for a while that they plaster the Arashikage tattoo on everything. It's secret for a reason. Snake Eyes isn't going to paint it on the front of his motorcycle.

JetsAndHeels
05-30-2012, 07:58 PM
I bought the Fangboat on Saturday at TRU, fearing that I may never see another one.

And whether it's Joes or Transformers or Star Wars or Marvel Universe and movie lines, those SDCC Hasbro reps are really going to hear it. Failures have abounded at all of their action figure lines.

So, how is that Fangboat?

Figures I have bought so far: Red Ninja, Cobra Trooper, Joe Trooper, Storm Shadow, Zartan, Cobra Commander (blue), and Roadblock.

I have yet to see any of the 3 packs, but I haven't been to a Target or TRU lately.

El Chuxter
05-30-2012, 08:33 PM
Went to two Targets and two WM's today. (Well, three WM's, but one didn't have anything yet.) You should have no problem finding the 3-packs. (Look at the LA Area Just Found thread. I don't want to re-type the whole story. :D)

I'm going to try to post reviews on what I got tonight or tomorrow. I passed on carded Roadblock, Zartan (I like, but $10 with sacrificed articulation and the lightpipe is no good--could say the same about Roadblock, with his fused hand), and the two motorcycles. Haven't seen the HISS and Ghost Hawk II yet (well, not counting last week before the delay announcement, when I saw them at TRU and figured they'd be cheaper everywhere else, and in large quantities).

Okay, I passed on the blue variants of Cobra Commander and the Joe Trooper, too, but, aside from the color, they're the same as the others.

JetsAndHeels
05-30-2012, 08:48 PM
So from what you just said, I am assuming you got a Red Ninja, Joe Trooper, Duke, Storm Shadow, and Snake Eyes?

El Chuxter
05-30-2012, 11:02 PM
Indeed. And now I'm going to go all JediTricks on y'all. :)

Here's my thoughts on the basic figures. I haven't opened the vehicles yet.

Beach Head (Nina Dojo)
It's impossible to dislike this figure, but it's impossible to get too excited, either. Hasbro almost seems to have a Beach Head fetish or something. He's all reused parts; he might be entirely a less-detailed repaint of POC Beach Head (I don't have him handy to compare). He's Beach Head; if you're a Joe collector, you kinda know what I mean. If you haven't got any of the previous 3,874 BH's, he'll seem a lot more exciting. A-

Cobra Commander
This is, sculpt-wise, an excellent figure. I really dig the look of him, particularly in black. Also, his snake staff is one of the few action accessories that I plan to use (albeit without the rocket), and his regular guns look nice enough. I plan to use him as Krake (from the IDW comics), perhaps getting one or two of the blue ones later to use as generals. But I can't justify another at full price--the sacrifice of the ankle articulation and the single-jointed knee really hurts the figure, moreso than most of the others like this, because his knee looks very gappy when it's bent. Too bad; aside from that, he's damned close to perfect. B-

Cobra Trooper
He should be better than he is. The design is decent enough, though nothing spectacular, but the color scheme (light and bright blue with black trim) kills it. He also suffers from a gappy knee, though it's not as conspicuous as with Cobra Commander. His gun is pretty bizarre, but at least it's not neon green. Haven't messed with the parachute contraption. Overall, he winds up being just okay and a little boring. With some paint detail, this could've been a whole 'nother figure. I'm hoping that, if the line doesn't take, they might repaint him a few different ways, like they did with the Neo-Viper for ROC. (I've also noticed the mask, partially due to the coloration, looks a lot like Snake Eyes IV.) B-

Duke
Something of a minor disappointment, to be honest. I think the reactive armor actually looks better in this color scheme (it gives it a weird 90s vibe), but he's just not especially exciting. I broke down and picked him up to do a headswap with the Joe Trooper, but the skin tones don't match. I might try the Joe Trooper's helmeted head, if I get more of that figure. The weapons are entirely useless, he has no webgear, and he's definitely re-using the ROC Tatum Channing head. Which begs the question of why, since he's a non-movie design anyway, didn't they re-use ROC legs as well and give the poor guy some joints. His knee gaps aren't too noticeable, but I'm looking at him and thinking how much he would benefit from simply being able to rotate his feet. Or some weapons that weren't hollowed-out neon orange monstrosities. Or anything. Anything at all. Not bad, but definitely nothing to write home about, either. C-

G.I. Joe Trooper
I'll be honest; I thought this guy looked kinda dumb until I opened him. The reviews were so glowing, though, I couldn't pass him up. Holy snot, am I glad I didn't! He's loaded with accessories--all of which, except for his extra head, can be stored on his person! Plus, ball-jointed wrists and rocker ankles that are flawlessly hidden in the "folds" of his pants. I don't think he was meant to be a Retaliation figure; I'm convinced this fellow is a 30th Anniversary holdover. I'm not entirely crazy about the mohawked head, but, really, who's going to display him with that one? My only regret is that I didn't get the blue version as well. I will correct that at the earliest opportunity. A+

Kamakura (Ninja Dojo)
He's a straight-up kitbash with a fairly plain color scheme. And, yet, this figure is absolutely sweet. I think he's my new favorite Kamakura figure by a wide margin; I've always loved the design, even if I didn't care for the idea of Sean Collins growing up to go all ninja. This guy's got more weapons than he knows what to do with, and he's definitely going to be on my revamped Joe Ninja Force. A

Red Ninja
As far as I can tell, this is just a straight-up repaint of Renegades Storm Shadow (and I don't have that figure handy to compare closely), only with the new rocker ankles. But that's all he needs to be. That's all a Red Ninja figure should ever be (and not that bizarre vehicle driver by that name from the early 90s). And Renegades Storm Shadow was so close to perfect, we didn't know rocker ankles could improve upon it. Ten bucks may be a bit steep for it, but, when this guy goes on sale or clearance (if that happens), I am army-building him. Great thing about GIJoe is that I can still display him with the older, far inferior Red Ninjas from a couple of years ago; they still look cool, but this guy's going to be in the foreground. The only drawback is that he only comes with two swords (and a stupid zipline accessory) and nothing to hold them in. Ideal as a backpack would be, I'll make do. A+

Red Ninja (Ninja Showdown)
At first I thought he didn't have the rocker ankles, because the joints on mine were a bit tight. But he does, so he's the same exact sculpt as the carded Red Ninja. The paint scheme is one Hasbro's used before for a Red Ninja Commander (though this outfit never actually appeared in the comic, IIRC), and he comes with a hat and mask. Unfortunately, he doesn't have any swords; he has two sais instead and I gave him Storm Shadow's naginata, which looks sweet with him. A+

Roadblock (Ninja Dojo)
Wow. This figure is the big surprise of the bunch. I was expecting to get him only for the other two figures (mostly Kamakura, since Beach Head is, well, Beach Head). First surprise was that he has two normal hands! Hot damn! He's an excellent likeness of The Rock (probably the best actor likeness in the Joe line), and just a massive figure. Can't tell, but I think he might re-use parts from the Night Adder/Resolute Roadblock. In person, the paint scheme is pretty flawless and looks quite realistic. He's not completely perfect; the head is a tad loose, and he has the single joint in his legs that many Retaliation figures suffer from (though, because of the sculpt and the coloration, the knee gap is barely noticeable. He's the newest "made-up" recruit on my Joe team: Night Force Heavy Artillery Gunner, code-name Rock. Seriously, if that other Roadblock goes on clearance, I might get one and do something with his screwy hand so it looks like he's holding a laser pistol. A

Snake Eyes
Sculpt-wise, this figure rocks. Ball-jointed wrists, rocker ankles, and all the (previously) standard articulation. But he seems a tad bland. He has a weird blue gun that looks like a futuristic Uzi equivalent, along with a black sword, and, well, that's about it in terms of actual weapons. Sure, he's got that insane robo-glider (that will be given to someone else), but I don't count that. He's just very dark matte grey with a bit of gloss paint on a few details, and that silly Arashikage logo on his arm. I wish the figure was as nice as the sculpt. But that's why there's the 3-pack version. He's not bad, but why get him when you can get a better version for a cheaper per-figure cost in the multipack? A

Snake Eyes (Ninja Showdown)
Wow. What a huge difference a little bit of detail and some more respectable accessories make. I'd say this is the definitive Snake Eyes, but he's still got some really strong competition from a couple of the POC versions. (Kinda sad that there were at least four POC versions in just under two years, eh?) The body is darker, the armored parts are silver, and the plain black webgear (as one reviewer pointed out, apparently based on Tim Bradstreet's work from Devil's Due's GIJoe: Reloaded series) kick the figure into overdrive. As far as I can tell, he's exactly the same sculpt as the carded version, just so much better. I'm not sure if he's the best SE ever, but he's definitely a strong contender for that title. A+

Storm Shadow
This is one bloody nice Storm Shadow sculpt. It may actually be the best yet. I prefer the starker paint scheme on the 3-pack version, but the muted silver on this one is beautiful, too. He comes with a crazy zipline thing I didn't bother with, along with two swords. The only (minor) advantage he has over the 3-pack version is a small backpack to store the swords (which is actually more useful than a lot of other ninja weapons he can't hold). This sculpt also has the new, kickarse rocker ankles. Funny how some figures sacrifice that joint, and it's improved on others. A+

Storm Shadow (Ninja Showdown)
Like Snake Eyes, this figure comes really close to topping a figure that we thought of as perfect (Renegades Storm Shadow). He doesn't have a backpack for his swords, unfortunately, unless I mistakenly gave his to Snake Eyes, which is his only real drawback. Also, like Snake Eyes, I much prefer the 3-pack version. The black and grey details really add to the figure, though he'd be a bit nicer if his gloves were black as on box photo. That's too minor a quibble to hold against him. A+

figrin bran
05-30-2012, 11:49 PM
So, how is that Fangboat?

Figures I have bought so far: Red Ninja, Cobra Trooper, Joe Trooper, Storm Shadow, Zartan, Cobra Commander (blue), and Roadblock.

I have yet to see any of the 3 packs, but I haven't been to a Target or TRU lately.

J&H, I haven't opened up the Fangboat yet. Will try to soon though.

Thanks for the reviews, Chux. JT never gives A+'s though ;)

El Chuxter
05-31-2012, 12:05 AM
That's because he isn't reviewing the same figures. :p

Maradona
05-31-2012, 10:51 AM
What a turnaround, Chux. I thought you had sworn off these figures. ;)

I agree that the Red Ninja and Joe Trooper are stellar. I shall use your reviews to dictate which figures to open and which to return to Target once my HTS case, along with the 3-packs and new HISS, arrive.

JetsAndHeels
06-01-2012, 09:17 PM
Hey Chux, thanks for the reviews. I am glad you like what you got!!

I picked up another Red Ninja today. I now have 2.

On a whim I decided to swing by Dollar General and take a look to see if they had any of the joes. I got Cobra Commander, Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow, and Shipwreck.

JediTricks
06-01-2012, 10:25 PM
Gotta be made of solid platinum and cost less than $5. :p

Chux's recommendations come with a few grains of salt in my book, ever since he talked me into watching the Speed Racer movie and then the first Joe movie. :D

That's because he isn't reviewing the same figures. :pI wouldn't be able to give any single-carded figures an A based solely on their INSANE pricing. "This is a really good figure, but it costs what a figure twice as good with 3 times as many accessories costs, A PLUS!!!" no.

El Chuxter
06-01-2012, 11:46 PM
Eh, it's a living. :)

Found the two larger vehicles tonight. I'll finally get around to opening all four soon and posting thoughts. The figures look great in the pics. Too bad I know they have 1978 Star Wars articulation. :mad:

BTW, upon closer inspection, the Joe Trooper's feet are ball joints, but not rocker ankles. Also, for some reason, the one with blue trim seems to have softer plastic overall than the tan one.

figrin bran
06-04-2012, 03:23 PM
I bought Red Ninja, Joe Trooper, Cobra Trooper and
CC over the weekend. I've only opened up Red Ninja but it's a superb figure and worthy of Chux's
grade

After reading reviews I think I want a GH 2. I wasn't expecting it to be larger than the Black Dragon.

JetsAndHeels
06-09-2012, 10:13 AM
I found the Dollar General Duke and Cobra Trooper this past week. That completes my set.

Maradona
06-09-2012, 10:49 AM
I'm still searching for a DG Cobra Trooper, Duke, and Storm Shadow. I don't see myself driving to the Dollar Generals in Bakersfield again any time soon, though. The one in Montclair has been stalked and pillaged.

El Chuxter
06-10-2012, 11:02 AM
I'm visiting family this week, and passed a DG last night. Unfortunately, it was closed at the time, and about 30 minutes from here. And I'm entirely at the mercy of family to get around. I might try asking in a day or so when the reunion hecticness dies down and be honest about why I want to go to such a *%^$ store, even if people look at me funny.

Maradona
06-11-2012, 01:17 AM
Some DG stores still have the Joes listed for $3.50.

El Chuxter
06-11-2012, 01:22 PM
Gotta say, I'm liking the way the SDCC Kim Arashikage looks. I really hate the uncovered neck on the "classic Jinx" variant and will stick with my custom version. But the white-gi version is sweet. (Well, at least in the official Hasbro photo we know is PhotoShopped beyond recognition.)

El Chuxter
06-12-2012, 09:54 PM
And nothing at the local (to my wife's relations) DG. Aren't they clearing out the ROC Combat Heroes single-packs first? That was all they had, and the only stickers were for $3.50. I'm guessing there are few, if any, Joe collectors here. When I went to get diapers, Target had the full monty of Retaliation goodies; I didn't notice anything gone at all.

JediTricks
06-13-2012, 05:15 PM
Target and TRU around here keep stocking the movie line, I am surprised after all the claims that they're supposed to be sending it back. I truly think Hasbro should just tread water and leave it on shelves until they can get more non-movie Joe product out.

JetsAndHeels
06-21-2012, 07:49 PM
Ok guys, I need some help.

I've been trying to run down a Renegades Storm Shadow. Needless to say, I have had zero luck. If anyone here has one they wanna offer up, I would greatly appreciate it. I have an extra Dollar General Duke and Cobra Trooper to offer up if anyone is interested.

El Chuxter
06-21-2012, 08:43 PM
I have an extra Dollar General... Cobra Trooper to offer up if anyone is interested.
I cannot express in words how much that statement makes me wish I'd gotten that second Renegades Storm Shadow when I saw him way back when. :)

Have you tried the Amazon set (http://www.amazon.com/G-I-Joe-Renegades-3-75-Figure/dp/B007COCLWM/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1340329241&sr=8-5&keywords=joes+renegades)? It's a bit pricy, but it's four figures and qualifies for free shipping, and is probably cheaper than the single carded figure would run on eBay. I think the SS and Ninja Viper are both the same mold as the SS with improved legs and feet. Snake Eyes is sorta new, since he has a trenchcoat.

JetsAndHeels
06-22-2012, 12:37 PM
I have thought about getting that set, but have never actually gone through with it. The reason is because I only want SS, plus I have been reading over on Hiss tank that folks are finding Renegades SS at TRU and Walgreens and places like that. I have been searching for him there, but had no luck. I figured with how limited these Dollar General figures have been, I might could help someone out.

Chux, if you are interested in the Dollar General cobra trooper, perhaps we can still work out a trade.

JetsAndHeels
06-27-2012, 04:46 PM
Target has the Retaliation 3 packs on sale for $12.99 plus free shipping. Pretty good deal if you ask me.

http://www.target.com/p/gi-joe-action-figure-battle-sets/-/A-14172146

El Chuxter
06-28-2012, 05:21 PM
Stopped by the grand opening of a Family Dollar today. I know there have been no reports (so far as I'm aware) of the discount Joes showing up there, but I figured there's a pretty good chance they will eventually, and a brand new store probably has a better shot at getting them than an older store with tons of stock.

And nothing. They had the discount Marvel and TF toys, but no Joes. :(

Maradona
06-29-2012, 01:51 AM
Made a trip to Las Vegas yesterday and found Lifeline, Airtight, Sci Fi, and Law & Order hanging on the pegs at TRU. I was shocked. I'd never seen them in the wilds of the LA area. I thought that I might find Renegades Storm Shadow, but no such luck. Maybe some day...

El Chuxter
07-01-2012, 07:10 PM
While the Retaliation stuff shown at JoeCon looks bloody amazing, and there are more than a few concept figures I hope make it to production (HEAT Viper!), I hope a lot of the concept stuff never happens. One Zombie Viper is plenty. Zombie everythings are not. They're moronic. And the insane number of ninjas turns even me off. Besides, if you're going ninja crazy, how about less 90s-eriffic versions of Nunchuk, Dojo, T'Bang, Night Creepers (all versions, including a dedicated Aleph figure), Firefly V2, Blind Master, Jinx, and, most of all, a frickin' Billy already?

Maradona
07-01-2012, 08:17 PM
The concept figures shown are predominantly outstanding. I wish they had gone into production and can't see why they were scrapped. Given that there will be nothing new in Joe land until next year, I'm sure Hasbro would have liked them to come out, too.

El Chuxter
07-01-2012, 11:20 PM
They do look sweet, and would've been preferable to nothing.

Still, having the line overtaken by ninjas and zombies isn't my cup of tea. (Maybe I might feel different if they'd at least tossed in a Toxo-Viper and Toxo-Zombie, or even a zombified Hazard Viper.)

I noticed there were a few varieties of zombified Joe army builders who were based on concept Joe army builders that weren't produced. And it appears the Retaliation Joe Trooper is indeed a carryover and wasn't originally intended for the Retaliation line.

JediTricks
07-01-2012, 11:23 PM
Hey Chux, did you end up subscribing to the service or passing?

El Chuxter
07-01-2012, 11:31 PM
I passed. Way too pricey, and few of the figures were things that interested me. Grunt in tan, woo, and more Brazil-only character I've never heard of! :rolleyes: Oh, and guys who were so obscure I had to look them up to see if they were fan-made or not.

Dice is a kitbash, and I've already gotten all the parts to customize him, anyway, even if he's in the huge stack of unfinished characters. I've got a better-looking Cover Girl mostly finished, too. Iron Klaw and Big Boa were the only ones who really tempted me; I can make do with a not-entirely accurate Big Boa (whenever they get around to making a MU Weapon X), since I was never a big fan, and Iron Klaw is not even ARAH. Oh, and Jinx, who's based on the Sigma Six version, and I always found it moronic that she'd cover her eyes. (Being trained to fight without seeing doesn't mean she'd willingly sacrifice an entire sense.)

Just not worth the cost overall. I'd even be willing to pay slightly more for Big Boa, Iron Klaw, and probably the BAT, maybe even a couple of the others. But being forced to buy them all when it's mostly junk, meh.

JediTricks
07-01-2012, 11:39 PM
I passed. Way too pricey, and few of the figures were things that interested me. Grunt in tan, woo, and more Brazil-only character I've never heard of! :rolleyes: Oh, and guys who were so obscure I had to look them up to see if they were fan-made or not.

Dice is a kitbash, and I've already gotten all the parts to customize him, anyway, even if he's in the huge stack of unfinished characters. I've got a better-looking Cover Girl mostly finished, too. Iron Klaw and Big Boa were the only ones who really tempted me; I can make do with a not-entirely accurate Big Boa (whenever they get around to making a MU Weapon X), since I was never a big fan, and Iron Klaw is not even ARAH. Oh, and Jinx, who's based on the Sigma Six version, and I always found it moronic that she'd cover her eyes. (Being trained to fight without seeing doesn't mean she'd willingly sacrifice an entire sense.)

Just not worth the cost overall. I'd even be willing to pay slightly more for Big Boa, Iron Klaw, and probably the BAT, maybe even a couple of the others. But being forced to buy them all when it's mostly junk, meh.I can't say I'm surprised, the way you described it I was a little shocked you were considering it.

Jinx wasn't blindfolded in Sigma Six, you're thinking of VvV. What? I know things too!

El Chuxter
07-01-2012, 11:42 PM
Good or bad, I had to at least ponder it. It is new Joe figures, after all. I decided to treat them like all the JoeCon and BotCon exclusive stuff--as if they never existed.

El Chuxter
07-15-2012, 01:18 PM
There's a Dollar General opening near me very soon.

How soon? I don't know. They had a handwritten sign when I drove by last night that said "Opening Sunday Evening." I can confirm it wasn't open as of 30 minutes ago. (Yeah, not evening, but I was driving by anyway.)

I plan to check at least one more time today, and tomorrow if they're not open, and grab what I can. Don't mean to sound cryptic, but, since there's only two in SoCal right now and one of those is way up in Bakersfield, I don't want to risk a ton of scalpers hitting it before me. (I'm pretty certain it's situated so that folks not from here won't know about it, and they had no signage about opening on Thursday afternoon, so I should have a good chance of getting some goodies.)

El Chuxter
07-15-2012, 09:04 PM
Anyone else here?

Apparently, new DG stores do not get everything in on their first shipments. :frus: There wasn't even a peg for them, and the manager confirmed they had not received anything G.I.Joe.