PDA

View Full Version : GI Joe Movie Toys

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

Maradona
07-16-2012, 12:36 AM
I'm missing half of the DG Joe first wave. I need Storm Shadow, the Cobra Trooper, and Duke. The other three were purchased all the way up in Bakersfield. Quite a drive...

figrin bran
07-18-2012, 01:50 PM
The SDCC exclusives sold out within 3 minutes this morning on HTS!

Who would ever have thought that waking up at 5 am to get in line for HTS at SDCC at 6 am and then waiting 2.5 hours would be much easier????

El Chuxter
07-18-2012, 02:13 PM
I see that as God's way of saying, "Dude, you didn't need a HISS painted like Shockwave."

I still think the SDCC exclusives should be exclusive, but not something that creates a hole in someone's collection. If there's an original sculpt, it should be released in different packaging at some point.

figrin bran
07-18-2012, 06:21 PM
Ha! I actually did have a Shockwave HISS for a fleeting moment and then I let Maradona have it at cost.

It is getting to be a sad situation with HTS and SDCC each year what with collectors, fans not being able to get desired items for their collections. The amount of "profiteering" and "flipping" of exclusives seems to be getting more and more rampant. In just one day at the con, I saw so many people carrying multiple Helicarriers, Bruticus and what not. And every now and then you'll hear one of these guys boasting that their purchases are subsidizing their trips and hotel stays.

Anyhow back to the toys themselves, I opened up both Jinxes and while they're otherwise outstanding figures, they have one flaw (2 in the case of the white variant). Her neck area should be covered up more like the vintage ARAH. White Jinx has the additional flaw of the sword sheath backpack and her hair restricting the poseability of her head.

Also it's a shame this figure won't be widely available until next year an even then it'll be in yellow, as it's a great mold for unmasked female ninja customs...I've kit bashed on the heads of Ren Scarlet and Avengers Black Widow and both fit perfectly.

El Chuxter
07-18-2012, 07:34 PM
I wanted the HISS, but not for that price. I'm just not sure that I would've had the willpower to pass if HTS had it available. lol

As it is, I can tell myself that the Starscream Skystriker was a nice one-off piece.

(Doesn't hurt that they're using a continuation of the Marvel numbering for these sets. Shockwave screwed over Cobra and tried to destroy the Earth. Destro ain't down with that.)

figrin bran
07-18-2012, 10:00 PM
I may not be able to pass up next year's Joe/TF crossover exclusive...Hound VAMP?? Ratchet or Ironhide repaint of the Retailiation Ninja Combat Cruiser? Rattler Powerglide? (Just tossing a bunch of ideas out there)

Maradona
07-19-2012, 01:18 AM
I may not be able to pass up next year's Joe/TF crossover exclusive...Hound VAMP?? Ratchet or Ironhide repaint of the Retailiation Ninja Combat Cruiser? Rattler Powerglide? (Just tossing a bunch of ideas out there)

A dream combo: Defiant Shuttle & Complex/Sky Linx or Whale/Sea Spray. The Combaticons would be an obvious choice, but I doubt they're ever coming.

RooJay
07-20-2012, 08:14 AM
Clearly Hasbro isn't producing enough product. They've been having so much financial trouble lately, from what I hear. Imagine if they'd made enough for everyone who wanted one to have a chance!

Maradona
07-25-2012, 12:51 AM
Funniest GI Joe related headline ever:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/destro-confirms-roma-agreement-soap-234500178--sow.html

El Chuxter
08-16-2012, 02:05 AM
I've noticed that there are no Joes at any stores near me anymore except TRU, aside from the odd Snake Eyes mask.

Maradona
08-16-2012, 07:02 AM
I found an Iron Grenadier at a Rite Aid two days ago. A nearby Walgreens has had an Alley Viper sitting there for almost a week.

Maradona
08-28-2012, 07:35 PM
"Today will be a day long remembered. It has seen the [end of my life without a USS Flagg], and will soon see the end of [my leisure time for a while as I put it together]." Today, I received the grail of many an 80s kid: the Flagg. I have waited 26+ years since I first saw it. I have dreamed, literally dreamed, of owning it over the years. Unless I use it for a coffee table, this will reside in my classroom, once it gets put together. Sadly, I've got too many essays to finish grading to justify building it tonight, though. That classroom is going to be pretty full this fall...

RooJay
08-29-2012, 08:33 AM
Wicked awesome! Can I ask how much? I recently purchased a complete, mint condition vintage Death Star playset from a co-worker, realizing one of my own lifelong dreams! The Flagg is my next grail!

JediTricks
08-29-2012, 04:22 PM
"Today will be a day long remembered. It has seen the [end of my life without a USS Flagg], and will soon see the end of [my leisure time for a while as I put it together]." Today, I received the grail of many an 80s kid: the Flagg. I have waited 26+ years since I first saw it. I have dreamed, literally dreamed, of owning it over the years. Unless I use it for a coffee table, this will reside in my classroom, once it gets put together. Sadly, I've got too many essays to finish grading to justify building it tonight, though. That classroom is going to be pretty full this fall...
THEN USE IT AS A COFFEE TABLE!!! :D I would suggest getting a long glass or plexi table that the Flagg can fit under, totally better than grubby kid hands and the sun beating down on it.

Congrats on the get though (although I'd argue the Defiant space vehicle launch complex is cooler :p).

Maradona
08-29-2012, 11:10 PM
THEN USE IT AS A COFFEE TABLE!!! :D I would suggest getting a long glass or plexi table that the Flagg can fit under, totally better than grubby kid hands and the sun beating down on it.

Congrats on the get though (although I'd argue the Defiant space vehicle launch complex is cooler :p).

Thank you. I wanted the kids to both enjoy it and see how good they NEVER will have it as kids. I have a series of three file cabinets that I was thinking of placing this on top of, high enough away from most hands. I know I'll display it during the holidays for sure, but I have to decide if it is wise to keep it up in the exact same position for longer periods of time. And I agree that the Defiant was far more exciting. Back in the early days of eBay (circa 98-99), I bought the shuttle and launch complex for $40. It was just a shell, but HUGE. Sadly, I lost it in a move. It's next on my BIG list, along with the Eternia playset. At this rate, though, I don't think I'll be purchasing them this decade. I got a very decent deal, I think, $730 shipped. I have to construct it, but cannot bring myself to begin. It's strange. I've wanted it so long and now am not jumping on it. I had an excuse last night, since I had so much grading to finish. But tonight, no such barrier.

And sure enough, the GI Joe episode that is on the Hub tonight is "Raise the Flagg." Fitting...

El Chuxter
09-20-2012, 09:02 PM
FYI: Today at Big Lots, I saw the Transformers Legends I'd previously only seen at Dollar General. So (although I obviously can't swear the Joes will be found at other places) it might be worthwhile to start checking stores other than DG.

Maradona
09-21-2012, 09:07 AM
FYI: Today at Big Lots, I saw the Transformers Legends I'd previously only seen at Dollar General. So (although I obviously can't swear the Joes will be found at other places) it might be worthwhile to start checking stores other than DG.

Few things would make me happier...

El Chuxter
10-06-2012, 12:37 AM
Hopefully more good news--the TRU in Moreno Valley had an absurd amount of Pursuit of Cobra stuff today. Some was Renegades stuff that's been there for months, but most was new. Well, sort of. It was a large number of the first couple of waves, or at least the desirable figures from those waves. I saw Firefly, Alley Viper, Shock Trooper, and all three Snake Eyes. At $10, I didn't want to build up my armies, but I'm hoping this means some of the later stuff is still clogged somewhere in the pipeline and will eventually see the light of day.

Maradona
10-06-2012, 01:20 AM
I'd love to get another Firefly or three and maybe a few more Shock Troops. Why must Moreno Valley be so far...

JediTricks
10-13-2012, 01:51 AM
Remember back in 2011 when I asked the Kre-O team during Botcon whether they'd be moving the brand into new licenses, especially GI Joe, and they gave me a positive response? Then nothing nothing nothing new as other Kre-O brands came up? NYCC just showed these:
http://photos.actionfigs.com/g6602-kre-o.html
Hasbro photos: http://cooltoyreview.com/story/front/NYCC_Hasbro_Reveals_GI_Joe_KreO_Collection_148400. asp
I knew this was going to work better than Transformers. Look at those sets from the '80s, they did a a little Water Moccasin and the Flight Pod and other classic ones, plus a few new designs I think. If they can keep the price right, I can see kids gravitating to these, and classic collectors going in for the Kreons.

El Chuxter
10-13-2012, 10:26 AM
I'm considering those pretty hard, even having heard from multiple people that Kre-O is junk. Those figures look awesome!

Maradona
10-13-2012, 11:21 AM
I've avoided going down the Lego (and now Kreo) pathway to poverty thus far in my collecting, but it's becoming ever-increasingly difficult. I may say now that I don't think I'll pick any of them up, but that could change once I see them up close.

JediTricks
10-13-2012, 01:11 PM
I'm considering those pretty hard, even having heard from multiple people that Kre-O is junk. Those figures look awesome!The Kre-O sets I tried at Botcon were ok, they were more Mega Bloks than LEGO quality but they weren't worse than Mega Bloks and they didn't cost more than them either.

figrin bran
10-16-2012, 10:07 PM
Kre-O aren't the same quality as Lego (and even then, Lego's mystery minifigs are a cheaper grade plastic than what you get in the boxed sets) but aren't exactly junk either. That being said, I find the figs more appealing than the sets, though I'm sure I'll pick up Checkpoint Alpha for sure.

El Chuxter
11-29-2012, 09:14 PM
I don't believe it myself, but I finally found "new" (2010) figures at Walgreens!!!

The WG in Beaumont had one each of the Jungle BAT and Cobra Commander. Thanks to Maradona scoring Shadow Tracker a while back for me, I now only need Crazylegs, Rock Viper, Temple Whatever Snake Eyes, and the POC version of the Iron Grenadier (the paint scheme is different enough for me to consider him a different figure from the 30th version). Not to be complete, but to have all the figures I want (that have been released, at least--I really want that Kwinn).

Maradona
11-29-2012, 11:34 PM
Walgreens, CVS, and Rite Aid have been a boon to Joe collectors recently. I've been hoping that the POC and 30th waves hit Ross/Marshalls/TJ Maxx so I can affordably troop build. I don't feel like I did enough of that with several of those figures and I'd love some cheaply priced moneybags Destro, along with as many Fireflies as I can manage.

figrin bran
12-04-2012, 09:45 PM
I've had zero luck with CVS but I found/bought a Jungle BAT at Walgreen's and 3 Cobra Troopers at Rite Aid (alas I didn't have enough cash on me for them all)

El Chuxter
12-04-2012, 10:29 PM
Maybe I need to check CVS, too. I've passed on multiples of the army builders at this price. I'd love a bazillion of the Cobra Troopers, but I have a bazillion of the old ones, and, though this one's better, that's a massive expense.

Have Rock Viper and Snake Eyes been showing up anywhere? Someone told me all the "lost" figures were appearing except those, but they're on yojoe.com, so I assume they were released. (Okay, maybe Python Patrol Croc Master is "lost," too, but who cares? Anyone salivating at the prospect of paying $11 for that figure in a slightly different paint scheme?)

Maradona
12-05-2012, 11:45 AM
(Okay, maybe Python Patrol Croc Master is "lost," too, but who cares? Anyone salivating at the prospect of paying $11 for that figure in a slightly different paint scheme?)

Drip, drip...

El Chuxter
12-05-2012, 12:27 PM
Seriously? That was one of the weaker figures from that time, and he rotted at Marshalls for months. The paint differences are pretty minor, and the extra reptiles have all been released with figures who went on clearance.

I remember being excited when they announced a "new" Croc Master for the POC line, thinking, "That's got to be the crazy IDW version, because no way would they re-release that other figure. This means we might actually get figures of some of the other IDW characters who look way different from their classic versions, especially Crystal Ball."

Sadly, as you know, I was mistaken.

Maradona
12-05-2012, 11:53 PM
I liked the idea of a red gator and the red get-up that Croc Master had. I'd buy one for $11. I suspect that whenever they do surface, they'll be the traditional $4.99 or $5.99 that Ross/Marshalls/TJ Maxx charges for Hasbro figures. Speaking of close out stores, I hope they start receiving the Dreadnoks/Marauders packs. I've been patient and may end up buying them from BBTS if they don't show up soon.

El Chuxter
12-07-2012, 11:01 AM
Amazon marked the Renegades set down to $20.99, and they have a pretty sweet "$5 off $25" deal going on right now via Facebook. Yup, I bit this lure. $5 a figure is unheard of now, and this has one new and two semi-new figures.

Saw a Blowtorch at Rite-Aid this morning. While he was $14 ( :eek: ), this means these stores might be worth checking, too. I'm worried Blowtorch might become the closest thing to a "drugstore pegwarmer" we'll see out of these lost figures; I'm not willing to pay $11+ for an inferior repaint (extra accessories or not), and I imagine I'm not the only one who thinks this way.

BTW, has anyone actually seen Crazylegs, Rock Viper, or Snake Eyes at drugstores? They're on yojoe.com, so I assume they were released (and I've seen loose Crazylegses on eBay, so I know he was).

Maradona
12-07-2012, 06:41 PM
I haven't seen the Crazylegs/Rock Viper wave, but I hope it shows up.

figrin bran
12-10-2012, 02:10 PM
Other than the Jungle BATs I found earlier last week, I had no luck with Walgreen's sale. I even tried using the $4 coupon towards 2 TF Prime deluxes but got denied, although I did get BOGO 50% off on those.

No luck at CVS either and I went to at least 3 with no toy sections at all.

El Chuxter
12-10-2012, 02:38 PM
Got the Renegades set in the mail today. Quite a sweet set; I rather love the packaging, surprisingly enough. This Snake Eyes looks much more awesome in person.

figrin bran
12-10-2012, 04:49 PM
That was a really quick delivery on the Renegades set. Meanwhile, my copy of TDKR which had been preordered from Amazon didn't arrive until today!

El Chuxter
12-10-2012, 06:22 PM
Not really. I have Prime, chose the 2-day shipping option, and ordered on Thursday afternoon. The damned thing didn't even ship until yesterday. So, yeah, quick on the actual transit (though the doofuses put the box in a planter).

figrin bran
12-11-2012, 11:37 PM
Amazon Renegades and Retaliation sets have dropped in price to just $14.99 now.

El Chuxter
12-12-2012, 08:20 AM
WTF?!? ARRRRRGH!!!!

(Thanks, software, for not allowing all caps.)

Might have to get another one at that price, y'know, to drown my sorrows over being shafted by five bucks. :D

El Chuxter
12-13-2012, 01:18 PM
Back to $31 for the Renegades set. Wanted to wait a single frickin' day to get another gift card that should be coming, and it doubled in price. I swear, Amazon pricing fluctuates so much, it can be frustrating. Ah, well, at least I got one. Debating whether the Retaliation set (which is still $15, probably because it's less popular) would be worth it for custom fodder. Probably not, since two of the figures lack some articulation and they have very few accessories.

El Chuxter
12-28-2012, 12:53 AM
Went by several Targets looking for after-Christmas clearance, and saw some Retaliation at all stores. Even items that had been clearanced were ringing up at full price (I was seriously hoping to get that ninja 3-pack for some insanely low price, but it was not to be). Methinks that they might have a home at Target and perhaps other stores with the next reset, since Hasbro's not bothering with a street date the second time around.

I'm just hoping and praying that Wave 5 makes it to retail. I needs me some of that new Crimson Guardsman.

Maradona
12-28-2012, 11:10 AM
I concur about the latter waves making it to brick and mortar stores. They seem better put together than the first waves that hit. On the plus side, if they don't, Ross/Marshalls/TJ Maxx may be fruitful to go to again in about 15 months. I've been hoping more of the POC/30th would show up there, but it has yet to arrive, if it ever will.

El Chuxter
12-28-2012, 01:40 PM
I wouldn't give up yet. This is the time of year that Ross (especially) and the others get their best stuff. TRU POC exclusive figures, Resolute 7-packs, etc, etc. It looks to me like they get the stuff for Christmas, but all the employees say, "Restock this mess so it'll be trashed in a few hours? F this," and it all goes out after Christmas. :D

As for the later waves, there's also the minor issue that, because of the delay, they've already revealed there are better versions of most of the Wave 1 figures coming out in Waves 3+, plus Waves 1-2 will be the first to hit. No one will want to buy, for instance, non-articulation reactor suit Duke or screwy hand Roadblock, and those figures could create a situation that makes Arctic Destro look like an amateur pegwarmer.

El Chuxter
01-28-2013, 11:21 PM
Just read on another site that the Wave 2 Retaliation 3-packs are hitting some Targets (which isn't a big deal; there'll be plenty of those to go around).

But, more importantly, the Wave 2 Dollar General Discount Store Joes are hitting Marshall's, and for only $4.99. I definitely want Storm Shadow and will take all the Dukes and Cobra Troopers I can find, but am not too excited about the rest. (I might change my mind on Snake Eyes, depending on how he looks in person, but doubt it, especially with the second 3-pack Retaliation version being an homage to the same VvV figure.)

Maradona
01-29-2013, 08:44 AM
I've read that and am on the lookout. Nothing yet, so far. $4.99 is the right price for me.

El Chuxter
02-09-2013, 09:53 PM
I guess I forgot to mention it, but I found Snake Eyes 2 and Duke 2 at Marshalls in Palm Desert about a week ago. I wound up getting Snake Eyes. The color scheme is weird, but cool. No sightings yet of anyone else, and I've been hitting Marshalls every chance I get.

But the bigger news: HOLY CRAP, DID YOU SEE THE TOYFAIR IMAGES?!?!?

The "Ultimate" figures all look amazing. I hope they continue in that vein in the future. Data-Viper and Kwinn are finally getting a release, and look amazing. The Tomahawk is getting a full-on upgrade, and a new Lift-Ticket (who'll have to be content being someone else in my collection ;)) who has full articulation. Also, an unexpected vintage upgrade in Budo (who looks amazing, but so unlike the little we saw of Budo way back when that I'll use it as something else).

Maradona
02-09-2013, 10:07 PM
I am very excited about the Toy Fair reveals. All the new stuff looks great. I want about 10 Budos.

I've only found Marshall's Snake Eyes and Duke. I need the other four if anyone finds extras. I'm also searching.

El Chuxter
02-09-2013, 10:19 PM
I'll keep an eye open for you. You do want Cobra Commander? He's a pretty easy pass for me.

I think I said it, but I'm particularly looking for Storm Shadow T'Gin-Zu.

RooJay
02-11-2013, 09:08 AM
I'm super excited about the new Joe stuff! Hopefully they actually make it to retail!

El Chuxter
02-11-2013, 07:20 PM
Was out and about today, and found Flint, Firefly, Battle Kata Roadblock, Ninja Duel Snake Eyes, Sneak Attack (?) Storm Shadow, Lady Jaye, General Colton, Alley Viper, Black Dragon Dark ( :rolleyes: ) Ninja, and Cyber Ninja at Target in Temecula, CA. I got the last five and passed on the others (Roadblock, Snake Eyes, and Storm Shadow are destined clearance items, and the other two just suck, particularly in comparison to the scheduled "Ultimate" versions). Probably a good thing; Target in Moreno Valley had clearly put out the same things, but was sold out of all that I'd bought except Cyber Ninja (who I'm guessing someone didn't want because he's a Wraith repaint, albeit an excellent one).

No luck on the Discount Wave 2 at any of the Marshallses or TJ Maxxes I stopped by (nor at the Big Lots, Tuesday Mornings, and Rosses I checked, too, just in case).

El Chuxter
02-11-2013, 10:32 PM
I've opened four of my five (I promised Chux Jr she could help with Lady Jaye) and, since I did it before, I'll grade them.

Dark Ninja
Basically yet another re-use of the Storm Shadow/Red Ninja mold. Unfortunately, they cheaped out a bit, and he doesn't have the rocker ankles, and only has a ball joint in one wrist. Aside from those gripes, the figure itself is perfect, and the two-toned grey-and-black scheme is gorgeous. He comes with four sets of claws (two of which are attached to the arms in-package), two swords (I'd say katana and wakizashi, based on the lengths, but neither is curved), a backpack, and this glider thingy. I haven't used the glider much (might re-use it for someone else), but it seems like it fits well, and actually looks pretty cool. The two claws he's wearing in-package are cool, but the other two are comically oversized. And his backpack doesn't fit hardly at all. I'm a bit torn. I have to consider the lack of articulation relative to the earlier Retaliation ninjas, and go with an A instead of the A+ he'd easily get otherwise.
(Also, the packaging shows a second head based on another Storm Shadow figure, but it's not included.)

Cyber Ninja
A partial repaint of the Wraith mold, with some changes. The head is new (online photos have shown the original Wraith head with the face painted to look like an African-American (rather like Marlon Wayans, to be honest)) and I don't recognize it. The legs are either new or re-used from another ninja figure. Curiously, he also cheaps out a bit, having the rocker ankles but not the ball-jointed wrists. He comes with the POC Firefly backpack, the same ninja swords and backpacks the Dark Ninja includes (in a different color scheme), two laser pistols, a laser rifle, and a silly zipline device in multiple parts. The Firefly backpack can hold the handle for his zipline and the two pistols, and the actual zipline itself can attach on the posts where Firefly's mines originally went. However, the zipline itself can't fit in the backpack (it's a bit too long, even without the other small accessories), and there's no accommodation for the scabbard backpack (though it can easily be jerry-rigged to fit in the side when the pack is closed). I really like the paint scheme on him, and, even with the accessory storage issue, he'd be an A+ with better wrist articulation. As it is, he's a solid A, and will be a nice commander to the Wraiths I use as advanced-model BATs since I thought that character was stupid.

Alley Viper
The mold is one we've seen before, but, well, it's awesome. We all know this. This time around, the Alley Viper is wearing a brighter red-and-grey color scheme. He comes with the Alley Viper webgear, two knives (one stores in the webgear, the other on his right wrist), the interlocking shield and billy club from earlier versions, the two-part armored helmet, and two machines guns (one from earlier AV's, the other new to this version, IIRC). He does lack a backpack, though, so at least one accessory has to be left in the cold. Oh, he also has some sort of action doohickey I didn't even bother with. (And, call me stupid, but the picture on the back finally clued me in to what the circular cutouts in the shield are for... duh.) Being a re-use of an older mold, he's lacking a little of the articulation, but I find it tough to hold that against him too much. I love Alley Vipers, and he deserves an A.

General Colton
I was pleasantly surprised upon opening Colton to find that he includes almost the full range of what was once standard articulation, missing only the rocker ankles (which aren't as big a deal to me on non-ninja figures). I thought he had the new one-part ankle joint. This makes John McClane a much better figure than I'd expected. (And, really, I imagine a lot of "classic" collectors are going to use this figure as John McClane, who joins celebrities like Sergeant Slaughter on the Joe team's reserves.) For collectors, he comes with a pistol, revolver, and shotgun. The only complaint I have about his collector-oriented weapons is that he has a detachable shoulder holster, which has a molded-in pistol almost exactly like the one he includes; it would've been nice to have this holster work to hold the third gun. For kids, he has the same neon orange laser rifle last year's Retaliation Duke includes, along with a quadruple rocket launcher that snaps onto it. For Colton (who appears to be a semi-retired older fellow from what previews have shown), it's ludicrous, but I have to admit it doesn't look too bad and I may find a home for it with someone else. The biggest issue is the way the suspenders are molded onto his chest, meaning they look ridiculous if you swivel him at the torso joint. The second biggest (and maybe only other) issue is the paint application on the face; he looks a bit crosseyed, and photos online seem to indicate this is a really common problem. Still, yippee-ki-ay, Cobra f***ers, this guy is an A-. (Had to be a little harsher because the suspender issue does make him look pretty goofy in many poses.)

Solid wave so far, and, with Jaye being a repaint of the awesome Renegades Scarlett figure, I expect her to be just as good.

El Chuxter
02-15-2013, 07:55 PM
Am I the last person left to care?

In any case, I found both Wave 2 3-packs today. Reviews to follow at some point soon.

JetsAndHeels
02-16-2013, 08:49 PM
I still care.

I want that Joe Colton. I can't find him anywhere.

El Chuxter
02-16-2013, 09:20 PM
I'll keep my eyes open. Of that wave, I've only seen extras of Cyber Ninja so far.

Maradona
02-16-2013, 09:55 PM
I haven't found any of the second wave yet, but your reviews reinforce my purchasing choices.

RooJay
02-18-2013, 11:03 AM
I still care, and I'm glad this year's releases look so much better than last year! I found Colton along with Firefly, Alley Viper, Cyber Ninja, and Flint yesterday at Target. The likeness on Joe Colton is great, but the paint on the eyes kind of ruins it a bit. I think it's because it makes the eyes end up look a bit too wide. I'm thinking of trying to repaint mine. Firefly has odd, translucent forearms. I think it was intended that his motorized sled, or whatever it is, was supposed to cause his arms to glow when the light feature is activated for reasons that I can't fathom. He still looks pretty cool, and the vehicle is a nice touch.

JetsAndHeels
02-20-2013, 11:21 AM
I still care.

I want that Joe Colton. I can't find him anywhere.

I found these guys on Monday. Picked up Colton, Cyber Ninja, and the Alley Viper. I'm quite happy with all 3, but still, there's something cool to be said about having a Bruce Willis figure. Now if I can track down the Sheriff of Nottingham figure from the Costner Robin Hood film, I can do some serious "Die Hard" toy scenes. :)

figrin bran
02-23-2013, 08:57 PM
I picked up Lady Jaye, Alley Viper and Cyber Ninja at Target. Had to leave Colton behind because it was cross eyed.

JediTricks
02-24-2013, 01:59 PM
I saw a Colton at Target, he was cross-eyed as well, darn inbred Bruce Willis action figures!

El Chuxter
02-24-2013, 06:55 PM
May as well just get it, Figgy. I don't think non-cross-eyed Colton figures exist, and the chances of getting a better-painted re-release are probably nonexistent.

figrin bran
02-26-2013, 09:14 PM
And now I can't find a Colton anywhere.

I picked up the Kreo Check Point Alpha a few weeks back and liked it enough to take advantage of TRU's Bogo sale on Kreo. Picked up 10 of the minifigures - Scarlett, Jinx, Torpedo, Quick Kick, Rock N' Roll, Cobra Ninja and extras of the Cobra Trooper and Alley Viper.

Quick Kick comes with a Fudgee bar, how awesome is that??

El Chuxter
03-08-2013, 04:57 PM
I've seen everyone from Wave 3 at least once more, except for the Dark Ninja and Colton. The Cyber Ninja seems to be pretty unpopular.

Looks like TRU has exclusive Jurassic Park sets that include "new" figures that are kitbashes of G.I. Joe parts, and those are hitting. I can't imagine those are going to be super popular, even with the quasi-Joe figures.

figrin bran
03-15-2013, 10:51 AM
I picked up both the Mouse and Firefly 3 packs. At $19.99, these are an outright bargain.

This Firefly is so great, I may not need the upcoming Ultimate version (if there is one).

El Chuxter
03-15-2013, 10:33 PM
But, IIRC, doesn't Ultimate Firefly come with (FINALLY!) the mini-HISS Scout?

I noticed a lot of the "Ultimate" figures are unnecessary (Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow especially), but come with accessories that are worth the ten bucks.

El Chuxter
03-18-2013, 02:54 PM
Wow! I just opened my Cobra set with Firefly, and he really is a sweet figure!

Two things I especially love about this set: First, Firefly comes with an extra knife and, since he uses the legs from the POC Cobra Trooper, and that figure was repainted into the Dollar General Cobra Officer (and Marshalls Cobra Trooper), who don't come with knives, my Cobra Officer doesn't have a naked sheath on his leg anymore. and, second, even if I would've liked a few more accessories, the "Cobra Shock Trooper Sergeant" (as I'm calling him) is a nice addition to my Shock Troopers and Alley Vipers. The parachute is nice enough that someone else will benefit from it. I'm guessing one of the ton of 25th Cobra Troopers I got cheap.

Still haven't opened the Mouse set, but, at $20, and likely to be cleared out simply because kids won't buy Joe stuff when the movie tanks, these are definitely the new go-to source for custom fodder and accessories.

El Chuxter
04-10-2013, 05:54 PM
Saw the black VAMP (Ninja Crusher?) at the Redlands Target this morning, sitting behind six HISS Tanks. It had been retaped, like the one I saw before in Moreno Valley. I figured maybe that was the case with all of them and decided to get it. But I went to the bathroom first. In the two minutes that took, someone else picked it up. No joke. Get it immediately if you see it. :(

Also, has anyone else seen or heard anything about the Marshalls Joes? Or did they completely dry up?

figrin bran
04-10-2013, 06:21 PM
I've seen that Ninja Combat Cruiser 3 times but didn't get around to buying one. I thought I read reports about a cheaper grade of plastic being used on it?

JediTricks
04-11-2013, 03:07 PM
Seen a lot of the Ninja Combat Cruiser around here, only Target so far I think, maybe 1 TRU. It really doesn't look like a piece that I'd buy, mainly for the colorscheme but also the lack of a windshield and an opening door to the rear section - weird how little things affect buying habits. It is clever how they took the 30th Anniversary VAMP and made it into something new, although "Ninja Combat Cruiser" is a nonsense name for this piece if it's not going to be black with big red Arashikage stripes across it.

El Chuxter
04-11-2013, 03:12 PM
I may be wrong about that one, but most of the vehicles are actually in the movie: the Night Landing, HISS, Ghost Hawk II, Water Moccasin (Fangboat), Firefly's motorcycle, the AWE Striker, the Tread Ripper. I don't remember seeing this, or the two Joe motorcycles.

I totally have my eye on getting a handful of those motorcycles when they're marked down to $3, I suspect by July. My only concern is the Night Landing looks like an amazing set (it includes a fully-articulated Eel update that actually might work as Torpedo if there's no Cobra logo actually painted on him, along with fifty gazillion weapons), but it's in a later wave of the same series, and it might be really, really tough to get if the cycles don't start moving.

JediTricks
04-11-2013, 03:23 PM
The Tread Ripper is a cheat though because they simply retooled the HISS Scout rather than making the actual Tread Ripper in the film: http://www.howeandhowe.com/gi-joe-retaliation-ripsaw.html (check out their other stuff, reminds me of some of the early '80s Joe mini-vehicles and such).

But anyway, yeah, you're right that most of the vehicles are in the film and the Ninja Cruiser and those bikes aren't.

I kinda want the Firefly bike that shoots its wheel, but the bike in the movie is so vastly different and does a much cooler thing so I'm going to hold off.

RooJay
04-25-2013, 12:37 PM
These are the Marshall's/Dollar General Joes, no?

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HJA0423AA#.UXlpop_VO00

El Chuxter
04-25-2013, 12:42 PM
Those are the Dollar General ones (Wave 1). Marshalls has been getting Wave 2, the repaints (blue Cobra Commander, blue Cobra Trooper, green-and-black Snake Eyes, orange Storm Shadow (essentially the vintage T'gin-Tzu figure under a different name), olive Shipwreck, and Duke who's a slightly greyer shade of olive).

Seeing multiple online merchants getting Wave 1, though, gives me hope for finding Wave 2 if Marshalls continues to have absolutely nothing around here. lol

RooJay
04-26-2013, 04:01 PM
Those are the Dollar General ones (Wave 1). Marshalls has been getting Wave 2, the repaints (blue Cobra Commander, blue Cobra Trooper, green-and-black Snake Eyes, orange Storm Shadow (essentially the vintage T'gin-Tzu figure under a different name), olive Shipwreck, and Duke who's a slightly greyer shade of olive).

Seeing multiple online merchants getting Wave 1, though, gives me hope for finding Wave 2 if Marshalls continues to have absolutely nothing around here. lol

Got it! For some reason I was thinking they were all the same.

Maradona
06-05-2013, 02:12 PM
This year's SDCC exclusive set looks AMAZING! I look forward to being frustrated in my attempts to acquire one this year.

El Chuxter
06-05-2013, 02:51 PM
Oh. My. Frickin'. God.

That is gorgeous!!

Hound and Snake Eyes are a little "meh," but the rest, holy snot. Is that a new sculpt of Baroness, or a gorgeous kitbash? Jetfire is amazing. But Bludgeon, damn, that is an inspired repaint that comes out INCREDIBLE!

As I'll be on the other side of the country during Comic-Con, I'm going to start begging Californians to help me get one right now. :)

And, if I can't get one, if there's anyone who does but doesn't want the Bludgeon, I'd be happy to take him off your hands. :D

figrin bran
06-05-2013, 05:00 PM
I'll be waking up super early to get in line for that set! Unfortunately that means I won't be offering an extra set to you, Maradona.

Maradona
06-05-2013, 10:30 PM
I'll be there with you, FB. I only want one of these this year, as there isn't really an army builder here like there was last year. Thursday will either be a good day or one that will live in infamy for us Joe collectors.

I'm surprised that there isn't a 3 3/4" Marvel Universe exclusive or an actual Transformer. At this point, my SDCC "exclusive" wants are the Joe set, maybe the Marvel Legends set, the DC Collectibles Sinestro pack, Hugo Strange, and that's it - save for Lego, which I am sad to have decided to collect. $50 for the Star Wars set is just too much. I picked up last year's Jem doll on a whim, so maybe this one too, but I'm not aching for the exclusives in the way I have been in previous years. I already preordered the Mattel exclusives, so hopefully the year's toy acquisitions are more accessible.

JediTricks
06-07-2013, 01:55 AM
It's an amazing-looking set, but both a VAMP and a Sky Striker? This is going to be verrrrrry expensive. I wonder why they didn't do a KRE-O exclusive GI Joe set, that would have been perfect.

I'm very surprised there's not an announcement on a Transformers exclusive, I'm hoping the rumors of Metroplex in G1 colors are true and they're just holding back, but it's pretty late to have a surprise like that.

LEGO con exclusives are the most disgusting, unfair things, totally unrewarding value and system.

El Chuxter
06-22-2013, 10:18 AM
Target clearance, and it appears to be widespread (since at least one friend in another city has reported this as well). Figures and bikes are $6.48 (which is a full 50% off the bikes, and, given that there was no interim markdown, it makes me think those were truly rotting on shelves and it wasn't just too many at the stores near me). The two scales of larger vehicles had clearance tags on the shelves, but there were none there, so I didn't see how much. The only things that didn't appear to be on clearance were the 3-packs.

It's a little sad to see this already. Doesn't bode well at all for the future.

Still, I finally got all three bikes, since the price was about right for a small motorcycle with an essentially useless pilot figure. (If one of them were a new character or an army builder of some sort, it wouldn't be that big a deal, even with the crappy pre-posed sculpt.) No figures that I didn't have, but I'll definitely snatch the second carded versions of Roadblock, Snake Eyes, and Storm Shadow at that price. (Maybe Firefly as well, for the head and the sled thingy, though Flint may have to wait for another drop.)

Maradona
06-22-2013, 11:26 AM
There were a lot of clearance tags in the toy aisle at Target. They are certainly cleaning house.

El Chuxter
06-22-2013, 04:13 PM
Opened the bikes up. Here are some thoughts:

Snake Eyes: The figure itself is frustrating. The detail in the figure is pretty incredible. Unfortunately, as has been known for a while, the articulation is crap, barely better than 1978 Kenner Star Wars figures. And he's severely bow-legged. If not for those shortcomings, this would actually be a stellar Snake Eyes figure, since it's pretty tough to make a decent unique figure of a guy who pretty much wears solid black. There's one other flaw, which I'll mention later.

The bike is nothing fancy, but looks pretty decent. Black, red, and silver is a decent color scheme, but the application of them here is a bit weird (things like a bright red seat on a black motorcycle). I could do without the Arashikage hexagram emblazoned on the windshield (?). There's a pull-back motorized gimmick, but that's neither here nor there for us adult weirdos. :) The set comes with a missile (which is nicely concealed as a headlight, with a concealed launch button behind the seat) and two swords. The swords are unique (so far as I can tell) to this set, and decently-sculpted aside from a noticeable post sticking out from the hilt; this snaps into a connector piece (that looks like a pretty practical hand shield of some sort), which affixes to the handlebars. Unfortunately, the positioning of Snake Eyes' hands makes him look absolutely ridiculous holding the sword (even allowing wrist movement would have helped here tremendously).

The serious flaw in this set lies in the way the figure attaches to the bike. Yes, attaches. It's not clear in the package, but Snake Eyes has a hole in each calf, where a post on either side of the motorcycle inserts. I haven't tried other figures on the bike, but it looks like it's just big enough to cause minor issues in letting other figures borrow his ride. (Sure, this can be dealt with, but I like the vehicles to be usable by multiple figures without having to saw pieces off.) It keeps the figure on the motorcycle, but it also limits how he can be positioned when on it (which is pretty limited already by the position of his arms and his limited articulation).

All in all, for less than $7, I think the good outweighs the bad, but I wouldn't army build it until it drops to $4 or lower. B-

Flint: If I said too much about Snake Eyes, here's where I make up for it. Aside from the head (and I'm not sure if this is the head from the carded Flint, since I don't have that figure), his sculpt is identical to Snake Eyes. The colors border on garish, but are dulled enough to look believable. If not for the stupid Arashikage logo on his chest, I'd probably slap a new head on him and put him on the bike in the background as one of the Eco-Warriors or some other forgotten Joe from the 1990s. The bike is a bit more colorful, with green, silver, orange, black, and gold, and it's like Flint--over the top for a real-world military vehicle, but plausible in the Joeverse. The swords this time are a translucent, almost pink, orange, so they're essentially worthless. All in all, it's close enough to Snake Eyes in quality to also get a B-.

Firefly: This one was a surprise, especially after skimming reviews online. I was on the fence about it, since it's so different from the motorcycle in the movie and I wasn't sure how the gimmick would affect it. But picking it up was a wise choice.

Firefly is completely unique from the Snake Eyes/Flint mold, but with the same level of detail and lack of articulation. The hole in his legs is even situated further down and his hands are positioned at a different angle, so you can't easily switch him to one of the Joe bikes (well, you can, but he's clearly designed for this one). Unless my figure is really jacked up in a way that works to his advantage, there's a pretty cool paint effect that makes his torso look dusty. And, like the others, he's bowlegged enough that he borders on useless in a standing position.

Firefly's bike (trike, really, since it has three wheels) has a gimmick that I can't judge. Mine doesn't work. I'm not sure if it's broken inside (there's something I can hear jangling around) or it's really bad design, but I pushed back the attached wheel and inserted the launching wheel, and it won't launch. No biggie; I'm not going to be launching it around anyway. :)

The triike's design is quite good. It's got that slight science fiction feel that so many Cobra vehicles have, with an appropriate color scheme (grey with silver and orange details). It actually would fit in really well with the Iron Grenadier tech, if any had been produced in the modern line. There are also two side-mounted guns (each of which looks sorta like two upside-down Biker Scout pistols) that are removable for some reason (they're entirely useless otherwise).

Firefly lacks the trademark camouflage pattern on his suit. But that's a plus--if you don't mind Cobras wearing less distinctive uniforms, he makes a great generic. Which means this sweet-looking vehicle can be army-built. As I fully expect this to wind up at some ridiculously low price like $3, I'll probably get a few extras. [s]Firefly The "Chopper Viper" looks damned good on the vehicle, so I can forgive the lack of articulation here. I really think they'll look great as escorts for some of the larger vehicles. A

Maradona
06-22-2013, 05:13 PM
Good reviews. If I see them marked down, I will certainly give them a look.

Maradona
06-22-2013, 08:39 PM
Wave 4 (5?) has been listed for preorder at Dorkside Toys for an apparent late August release. The case assortment includes all the hard to find figures from waves 2 and 3.

El Chuxter
06-22-2013, 10:54 PM
I hit two other Targets this afternoon and noticed a bit of inconsistency about the clearances.

Target #1 (Redlands, CA) had the bikes at $9.08, and everything else at full price. They had the same-old, same-old in the way of figures, including one Battle Kata Roadblock (who I'll get if and when I find him on clearance).

Target #2 (Orange Show Blvd in San Bernardino, CA) had the bikes at $6.48 (same as the Moreno Valley Target), figures at $7 ($0.52 more than MoVal, and a paltry selection), and some of the larger vehicles for $9.98. I absolutely didn't want a HISS, but considered buying one for the Cobra Commander... then realized I'm not insane and don't want a 5-POA figure for ten bucks. They had the Ninja Combat Cruiser, which I also passed on because I have so many VAMPs, Stingers, and variations thereof. I realized after I left that the Night Fox head might look really good on the motorcycle Snake Eyes body.

All Targets have 3-packs at full price. Which is a shame; I'm buying as many as I can get when they're marked down, since they're a bargain already at full price.

JediTricks
06-23-2013, 01:44 PM
Black with red seat is fairly SOP for toy motorcycles lately. The missile as headlight has been SOP for the Joe lines since at least Sigma Six.

My original Joe figures always looked dopey holding swords because they had that C-grip with the raised thumb (you know, the thumb that would ALWAYS BREAK OFF), that was my biggest complaint with the Joe:ARAH line, great accessories and they'd look so stupid holding them.

Glad to hear the Firefly bike holds up, it's the only thing I've consistently thought about picking up. Sorry to hear the launching gimmick doesn't work on yours.

Target toy managers are given a clearance budget and allowed to mark down as much or as little as they think will work.

El Chuxter
06-25-2013, 01:28 AM
Black with red seat is fairly SOP for toy motorcycles lately.

Don't get me wrongo--I like it, I just think it's a rather odd choice for a ninja's bike. Particularly a ninja who wears solid black. :)

Glad to hear the Firefly bike holds up, it's the only thing I've consistently thought about picking up. Sorry to hear the launching gimmick doesn't work on yours.

Thanks, but it's no biggie. I like the way it looks, and I don't care about the launcher. I'd rather know the wheel will stay in place instead of randomly firing and knocking down stuff. :)

Besides, the other one I picked up might work. I noticed that the Flint bike is still rotting, but Snake Eyes and Firefly seem to actually be moving now, so I grabbed another just in case he's not around at the next price drop. If it hits $3, I'll get a true army of them. :D I was really surprised by how much hatred this piece gets from a lot of Joe collectors, even moreso than the other two bikes (I guess 'cause they look normal?). Like I said before, I think it's gorgeous in spite of the lack of articulation, and just looks like it'd be a great escort vehicle (I'm thinking of the way TIEs circle capital ships, or how Speeder Bikes are often portrayed as running interference for the AT-ATs on Hoth in EU works).

My only real concern is that the first wave was the 7-POA Snake Eyes and 7-POA Firefly, both of whom snap onto their missile-launching bikes. Wave 2 adds Flint, a repaint of Snake Eyes with only the head different....

And wave 3 adds the Night Landing, a newly-tooled update of a vintage vehicle that's not yet been updated (and that actually freakin' appears in Retaliation), with a completely new Eel with 30th Anniversary levels of articulation (and who, if there's no obvious Cobra logo, looks like he's essentially a 30th update of Torpedo) and about a million guns. Yeah, my hopes of finding that--or of it even hitting American retail--sink a little further every time I see Flint bikes not selling even at half price. :(

Like I mentioned in the LA thread, the east Moreno Valley Target had the larger vehicles (Bravo? Gamma? Lambda Lambda Lambda?) for only $8.48. I got another Ninja Combat Cruiser and HISS. I know the $1.50 difference I'd seen from other Targets is far from massive, but it was enough to make them seem reasonable. I've got to be honest, and maybe it's a bit sad, but I have no clue how many VAMP and HISS variants I have now. I've gotten at least one of each, and more when they're dirt cheap (like the Stinger was when it hit Ross). I'm actually thinking of trying my hand at some intricate painting than I've attempted, and maybe going for a camouflage Retaliation HISS, or making the second NCC into a Tiger Sting update.

El Chuxter
06-25-2013, 01:43 AM
Also, the Night Fox/motorcycle Snake Eyes headswap isn't quite so simple. The SE ball is much larger, and his neck longer, so it looks a bit off. (I forced it, so the head is a bit loose on Night Fox now. Oh well.)

I did notice Night Fox has no logos. That guy is all Cobra now. :D

JediTricks
06-25-2013, 12:25 PM
Don't get me wrongo--I like it, I just think it's a rather odd choice for a ninja's bike. Particularly a ninja who wears solid black. :)It's a ninja who wants to sell to children. ;)

I was really surprised by how much hatred this piece gets from a lot of Joe collectors, even moreso than the other two bikes (I guess 'cause they look normal?).Probably because it's nothing like the bike Firefly rides in the film.

El Chuxter
06-25-2013, 04:33 PM
True, and though I think Firefly's movie bike is awesome (the perfect balance of a Joe-esque gimmick with some semblance of real-world weaponry), that doesn't change how sweet his toy bike is.

Also, I discovered the first one does work. Like an idiot, I misread the instructions and was corrected by a 6-year-old when we cracked open the second. :black_eyed:

A bit late to the party, but I opened the Ninja Combat Cruiser and HISS today. Aside from the stickers (which, as is usually the case when Hasbro gives you stickers, are a beast), my daughter put them together.

HISS: A pleasant surprise. I'd heard so many negative comparisons to the Pursuit of Cobra HISS, which I thought was overrated, I really had low expectations. It's slightly smaller then the POC version, and completely eliminates the elevating gimmick and rear cockpit (which didn't work well in the first place IMHO), but makes up for this by adding two side-mounted Gatling guns that actually look good, and putting in a proper center turret. The plastic is a bit cheaper than the previous version, and the treads don't move. Also, the new chin turret simply slides in and doesn't attach at all, which is okay for display but must really suck for kids trying to play with it. Like the POC version, the cockpit is pretty opaque, so there's no point in putting any figure in it. All said, though, I'm going to go against everyone else on the internet and say I much prefer this HISS over the POC one. (I never even bothered getting the black re-release of that one, and picked up the red one only because I wanted the Crimson Horseman figure.) The chin turret is the only real drawback here; this is a toy, folks. B

Cobra Commander (HISS Pilot): Like so many of these pilots, Hasbro cut costs by severely sacrificing articulation, but, I guess, tried to make up for it by putting a ton of detail in the figure. He looks awesome--he just can't move any more than a 35-year-old Star Wars figure. The design is solid; Cobra Commander as a HISS Pilot makes little sense, but someone made up a suitable high-tech outfit for him that looks like a cross between Krake's armor from the IDW comics (both before and after he becomes Cobra Commander II) and various armors used by the ARAH Cobra Commander (including a few from comics that never were made as figures). I wish I could give him a much higher grade because of his look, but it's impossible to overlook that he was released at exactly the same time as the G.I.Joe Trooper and Snake Eyes. D+

Ninja Combat Cruiser: I'm going to start by admitting I left off the ridiculous Arashikage logos and decals with some sort of Japanese text on them, as well as the license plate, which clearly identifies this as a Joe vehicle. It's basically a Stinger update (albeit in need of some Cobra stickers). I'll also admit I can't really compare it to the Pursuit of Cobra VAMP it's based on, since that's a vehicle I haven't opened yet.

The vehicle looks great. There are obvious some cost-cutting shortcuts (like the backs of seats being hollow and not fully sculpted), but, otherwise no obvious visual blemishes. However, the rollcage doesn't fit quite properly, and is in constant danger of being knocked off from the slightest provocation. Especially with this in mind, it's really tough to actually get the figures inside. Still, it's far from awful and I'd recommend one, maybe more if you can find them on clearance. C

Night Fox: The second sculpt of a guy who was made up as a pilot for Pursuit of Cobra. Not sure what the love is for this guy (and he doesn't look a lot like the POC version), but I'd think a dedicated Arashikage vehicle should come with a Ninja Force character who's not been updated. Maybe Hasbro was so fearful of the outcry if they made a new ninja with 5 points of articulation they went this route instead.

Again, great-looking figure with shoddy articulation. He's a bit bowlegged, but not as badly as the motorcycle figures, and I suspect it's a combination of the softer plastic with the way he's packaged. His right arm is bent at the elbow, which looks pretty good when he's holding his rifle in the one pose you can put him in without him looking ridiculous, but it actually makes him next to useless as a driver for the vehicle he comes with! However, everything about him (aside from the packaging) screams "Cobra Gunner," so at least one will look pretty good in a scene, provided you like his one pose. In spite of his uselessness as a driver, he's a tad better than Cobra Commander. C-

I discovered that the Cobra Commander actually fits in the Combat Cruiser better than Night Fox (granted, freaking Masterpiece Grimlock might be easier to wedge into there--exaggerating, of course), and he can sit with his left hand on the steering wheel and his right on the gearstick. So, aside from being just a touch too high-tech for his vehicle, he looks great in there since you can't tell he's barely better than 1997 Mon Mothma. Also, Night Fox holding his gun looks excellent in the turret of the HISS. So, far as I'm concerned, they've permanently traded vehicles. :D

I'm attaching a pic I took of the HISS (with Night Fox), Combat Cruiser (with Cobra Commander), and two of the Fireflies who are Cobra Wheel Blaster Drivers as far as I'm concerned, bearing down on the (still unnamed) Joe who's Snake Eyes with Flint's head, while a Joe Trooper and Black Widow (borrowing a katana and scabbard from Ashiko) provide cover. (Of course, that Trooper is redundant, since Black Widow's on the case and she can handle four Cobra vehicles with her eyes closed. :D)

jpins
07-08-2013, 07:57 PM
I went to four Targets yesterday. One of the Targets had the Joe 3 packs on clearance for $13.98. There was only one on the shelf, the Cobra Invasion Team. I purchased it and returned it with the receipt from where I purchased it at full price several weeks ago.

El Chuxter
07-08-2013, 08:27 PM
Aww, hayle! If the 3-packs are on sale, I need to start hitting the Targets again.

Then again, the last one I went to had just marked their bikes down... to $9.08. :rolleyes:

Maradona
07-09-2013, 12:24 AM
Those three packs are outstanding. I bought several from HTS with the 15% coupon, so they came out to $17 each. A true and rare bargain these days.

El Chuxter
07-09-2013, 12:41 AM
With the figures running at $10, these are a steal at full price, particularly with the articulation and accessories. I swore if they even went to $15, I'd get every one I see.

El Chuxter
07-25-2013, 07:50 PM
Anyone else here? ;)

In Roanoke (VA), I picked up one extra each of the black-garbed Cobra Commander and Cobra Officer from Dollar General, as well as one each of the first two 3-packs (Ninja Dojo and Ninja Showdown) on clearance at Target. (They were $17, so not quite the "get every one they have" point, but I haven't seen those two in CA at all.) I looked more closely at Kamakura and Red Ninja, alongside pics of Nunchuk and Slice, and they'd require very, very little work if you're cool with an update instead of a completely faithful update.

Also got a Snake Eyes mask for Chux Jr, and it makes a wonderful toy for the car, because she knows Snake Eyes can't talk and is silent when she wears it. :cool:

BTW, the Shadow Strike Ninja from the Wolverine line is a 5-POA version of the Red Ninja mold in black, but a slightly different black scheme than the Retaliation Dark Ninja. (I know that sounds convoluted.) Pity he's only got five joints, but he's also cheaper, so he may make a good single extra ninja in the background. :)

El Chuxter
08-21-2013, 11:42 PM
<chirp, chirp>

EE has Wave 3.5 (they call it Wave 4) for $119.99 with free shipping. (http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HJ52220D#.UhWUpdKofK0) I figure that's only eleven cents more than they'd cost in a store at $9.99, if I'm lucky enough to find them all. I can hunt extras of a few figures more easily than finding all twelve (and those b...ewitchin' accessories guarantee I want the "Ultimate" versions of the classic characters even though I've got a few of each that are probably as good or better).

Maradona
08-22-2013, 11:40 AM
EE still charges tax, though. BBTS charges shipping, but no tax and is $5 cheaper per case. HTS has several figures from that wave in stock. Use code mcdcrew2013 for 10% off your total order.

jpins
09-05-2013, 02:36 AM
The second series Joes have shown up at the local Dollar Generals. I picked up Storm Shadow on Monday. I also found the Eaglehawk helicopter at Toys'R'Us in Marietta. I had a 20% coupon, so I got it for about $36.00 with tax.

El Chuxter
09-10-2013, 03:05 PM
I finally found most of the Wave 2 Joes at Dollar General in Banning last night. Snake Eyes was gone; I assume a kid must've wanted a Snake Eyes figure since there's no other way I could see just him being gone. I picked up Storm Shadow and the Cobra Trooper (interesting that both versions are called "Trooper," but have the Officer symbol on their helmets).

Really, really liking the Cobra more than I expected, which may sound odd since I've got this mold twice already. The comic-styled colors really look good on him, though.

El Chuxter
11-21-2013, 10:25 PM
Not sure how long the sale is on for, but I discovered today that Dollar General's toys are buy one, get one half off. Which worked out nicely, since they seem to be restocking the repaint wave and I scored two blue Cobra Officers for less than the cost of one basic Retaliation figure.

Maradona
11-22-2013, 10:43 AM
Ugh. I wish I had a Dollar General near me.

El Chuxter
02-15-2014, 08:23 PM
I have to say, I'm not exactly pleased as punch at the number of re-releases necessary to get the new 2014 stuff, but I'm happy to get something. I wish we didn't have to buy a third Low-Light to get the Night Viper, and two color schemes of the Night Landing requiring buying two more VAMPs and two more Flints is a tough pill to swallow. Still, mostly decent choices, even if they don't encourage army building.

But, honestly, how about a bone and re-releasing some of the impossible-to-find figures from the recent past, like Crazylegs or any of the large number of other figures who only ever shipped to Walgreens?

Maradona
02-15-2014, 10:27 PM
I have to say, I'm not exactly pleased as punch at the number of re-releases necessary to get the new 2014 stuff, but I'm happy to get something. I wish we didn't have to buy a third Low-Light to get the Night Viper, and two color schemes of the Night Landing requiring buying two more VAMPs and two more Flints is a tough pill to swallow. Still, mostly decent choices, even if they don't encourage army building.

But, honestly, how about a bone and re-releasing some of the impossible-to-find figures from the recent past, like Crazylegs or any of the large number of other figures who only ever shipped to Walgreens?

I echo your sentiment about getting something, but I fear that lack of availability at TRU (I never found the SW exclusive wave) will make securing a set difficult. I would have preferred less repetition of figures, too. I didn't understand that the VAMP/Night Landing Ice Wolf/Sky Hawk would be two packs. To me, this offering seems very reminiscent of the 15th Anniversary ARAH line from 1997 and the later 20th Anniversary line. These figures, which I'd love to have and will search for all of, appear to be place holders until the next iteration of GI Joe takes form.

I love that red Night Viper, by the way.

El Chuxter
03-02-2014, 11:40 PM
Is anyone reading the comics? The Hama-penned ARAH is as good as ever (despite a major continuity fart with Sneak Peek that was corrected in a surprisingly brilliant retcon) and I can't recommend it enough. The rest, eh. Cobra Files is excellent (as always) but cancelled. Special Missions is marginally readable, and also soon to be gone. The core title, which had the seemingly great concept of the Joes being widely known and a small core team acting as their public face, is absolutely wretched. I honestly don't think the writer (Fred van Lente, who I hadn't read but had heard great things about, which I now suspect were utter BS) has ever read any of the IDW titles, even the current issues of Special Missions when he crosses over with it. Every issue is a huge continuity problem, and I'm not sure that there's a way to save the IDW Joe-verse from this pit of crap he's dug it into. Unlike the Transformers when All Hail Megatron and For All Mankind put them at their all-time lowest, the Joes can't just go into space, end hostilities with Cobra, and then have Cobra Commander join the Joes and hop on a spaceship to find the Knights of Cobra-La.

Maradona
03-03-2014, 06:03 PM
I want to read the Joe comics, but I haven't. Catching up is definitely on my list, though.

Just saw this and I'm still picking up my jaw:

http://wegrowmedia.com/sacrifice-and-craft/

jpins
03-14-2014, 02:00 AM
Anyone else going to Joelanta this weekend?

El Chuxter
03-15-2014, 12:44 PM
That'd be a three-day drive for me. lol

A new Dollar General opened in Calimesa (a small town on the I-10 between Yucaipa and Beaumont) sometime very recently. Unlike the one in Banning, which was built and then sat with a "coming soon" sign for ages before they opened, this one actually opened before I realized they'd finished building it. (It's about a block off my normal route. But, seriously, they finished that building and got it opened in what has to be record time.) I saw yesterday afternoon that it had a grand opening sign, and stopped in, only to find someone had already cleaned out their Joes pretty good. They had two each of Snake Eyes and Shipwreck, both from Wave 1. Meaning if I'd been a little more aware of how it was progressing, I could've gotten two Cobra Officers and Commanders. :(

This does mean, however, there are two DG's near me now. While normally it and Family Dollar (also two near me) are craptacular holes in the wall that carry junk at inflated prices because they cater mostly to people who can't drive to better stores, they are still pretty much the only place carrying that line of Joes, and they appear to still be shipping both waves.

Maradona
03-15-2014, 05:00 PM
I drove up to Sacramento about ten days ago for a conference. On the road there, I stopped at about ten Dollar Generals and picked up an abundance of Joes. Some stores had all six figures and I was able to get a few black Cobra Officers and several Commanders. These are great figures at reasonable prices. I love that both waves are still shipping after a couple of years of them being out. I'm driving out to Palm Springs for a conference this week, so I'll try to drop by these stores, Chux.

mtriv73
03-25-2014, 02:03 PM
I have to say, I'm not exactly pleased as punch at the number of re-releases necessary to get the new 2014 stuff, but I'm happy to get something. I wish we didn't have to buy a third Low-Light to get the Night Viper,...

If you ever find the low-light set, I'll gladly buy him from you. I looked for a long time and still have never seen one in the wild.

Maradona
03-26-2014, 01:17 AM
Those great Retaliation 3-packs are showing up at Ross for a ridiculous $9.99. I haven't found any myself, but hope to do so soon. I'd probably buy every one of them I saw, particularly the one with the Red Ninja.

figrin bran
04-11-2014, 02:46 PM
I found a retaliation Night Viper at TRU yesterday. Also saw Blind Master and yellow Jinx but didn't want either.

Maradona
04-12-2014, 10:43 AM
Still have never seen a Night Viper in the wild.

El Chuxter
04-25-2014, 08:01 AM
Got the Blind Master at TRU yesterday; wasn't even looking for stuff for me. No sign of Jinx or Night Viper, but an unexpectedly large number of all the previously rare figures from the first three waves except for Joe. (First time I've seen more than one Dark Ninja at once, and maybe only the second or third time total.)

Maradona
04-25-2014, 10:28 AM
Evidently, the last two waves are hitting Ross and Tuesday Morning. I have yet to personally confirm that, relying solely on internet reports.

El Chuxter
04-25-2014, 10:38 AM
Looks like Ross and TM are in my future. That would be the wave of 12 all-new figures and the mostly repack wave with Jinx, BM (hee hee), and NV, right?

I wanted to do a little army building on some of these figures, but really didn't want to pay $10 each.

Maradona
04-25-2014, 02:28 PM
Now we all have a chance to army build these waves.

Hoping that this goes through:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1732159183/marauder-task-force-gaming-figures

El Chuxter
04-25-2014, 05:47 PM
Hit three Rosses and a Tuesday Morning today. Struck out at all but one Ross, where I got an extra Ultimate Flint and Ultimate Cobra Commander. I figured with figures being $10 now, $5 was worth it for the mini-FANG.

Maradona
04-26-2014, 09:53 AM
I'd love to find some Cobra Combat Ninjas and Ultimate Dukes. And Night Vipers. Lots of Night Vipers...

But at $5, I doubt I'll be too choosy.

El Chuxter
04-26-2014, 10:02 AM
What are you interested in at the five buck point, and I'll keep my eyes in banana mode. Y'know, peeled.

Maradona
04-26-2014, 09:21 PM
What are you interested in at the five buck point, and I'll keep my eyes in banana mode. Y'know, peeled.

Thanks. I'm probably looking for the same things you are: Cobra Combat Ninjas, Ultimate Dukes, and Night Vipers are my most wanted, but I'd gleefully purchase Red Ninjas, Dark Ninjas, Cyber Ninjas, Alley Vipers, Data Vipers, Crimson Guards, Ultimate Flints, Kwinns, GI Joe Troopers, and Cobra Troopers at the $5 price point.

El Chuxter
04-26-2014, 09:49 PM
Shoot. I was coming in here to report finding several Kwinns at a Tuesday Morning on the way to the dentist this morning. I didn't get any because I couldn't see too much custom or army-building potential in him. :( If I find him again at that point, I'll get one for you.

What about the other Ultimates? Firefly, Storm Shadow, and Cobra Commander have those sweet "mini-rigs," and Firefly's just an incredible simple figure.

Also, still up for $6 Dollar General Dukes and Cobras, right?

Maradona
04-26-2014, 10:25 PM
They certainly do have fun extras. I really like the DG Cobra Troopers. I've been lucky enough to find several, but I'd love to run into more.

figrin bran
04-30-2014, 06:42 PM
So far on my Ross hunts, I've only picked up Cobra Commander, Ultimate Roadblock and Snake Eyes with Timber. None were really must gets for me but at 4.99 why not?

El Chuxter
05-09-2014, 01:50 PM
Ross is getting new figures in, for a buck cheaper than even those they got last week ($3.99), along with a lot of Retaliation vehicles (for more than Target clearanced them for last year).

Also, I can personally verify the Night Viper is among them. Oyes!!

Maradona
05-09-2014, 05:07 PM
I'd say that the Night Viper is my albatross, but that would mean I had found one to tie around my neck.

figrin bran
05-11-2014, 11:16 AM
I've been to 5 different Ross locations and it's looking like that first visit was the best I can find. Everywhere else has just Battle Kata Roadblocks. I did pick up for $6.99 an ML Steve Rogers.

jpins
05-21-2014, 06:36 PM
I found the last GI Joe Retaliation wave at Five Below today. I picked up 2 Night Vipers and 3 Alley Viper figures for $5.00 each. There was several Blind Master and Jinx figures, but I didn't get any since I had bought a case of the last wave months ago.

JediTricks
05-25-2014, 01:51 PM
Don Levine, creator of G.I. Joe, passed away this week at the age of 86.

I noticed in the news about this that a lot of folks were talking about Hasbro's current GI Joe design team being disbanded and spread to other brands, as if 2 sad things befell GI Joe for the 50th anniversary, but I'm pretty sure there hasn't been a dedicated GI Joe team for several years now, with Star Wars' Derryl DePriest (who wrote a book on GI Joe before he went to work with Hasbro) doing double-duty as the Joe brand manager and borrowing talent from other teams while also farming out work to outside designers.

Meanwhile, one of my local TRUs got in a ton of movie 2 figures that used to be hard to find, and nobody seems to care, shelves are stuffed.

This is a dark time for the franchise.

Maradona
05-25-2014, 11:21 PM
Don Levine, creator of G.I. Joe, passed away this week at the age of 86.

I noticed in the news about this that a lot of folks were talking about Hasbro's current GI Joe design team being disbanded and spread to other brands, as if 2 sad things befell GI Joe for the 50th anniversary, but I'm pretty sure there hasn't been a dedicated GI Joe team for several years now, with Star Wars' Derryl DePriest (who wrote a book on GI Joe before he went to work with Hasbro) doing double-duty as the Joe brand manager and borrowing talent from other teams while also farming out work to outside designers.

Meanwhile, one of my local TRUs got in a ton of movie 2 figures that used to be hard to find, and nobody seems to care, shelves are stuffed.

This is a dark time for the franchise.

Indeed the dark times are here for the foreseeable future. The brand is sure to reset at some point and return. I must admit to disappointment at such a momentous anniversary is passing with very little product and even less direction.

El Chuxter
05-25-2014, 11:40 PM
I wonder if we could get Hasbro to concede this is a collector-based line now, and maybe give us high quality 6" figures, or something.

Or, really, with the only real successes lately being Resolute, Renegades, and the original ARAH comic, focusing on those a bit more (and going light on the Snake Eyes resculpts). It's a shame that ARAH is now off in its own little world, when it was the lifeblood of the line, and both "R series" ended with cliffhangers never intended to be resolved. :(

El Chuxter
07-30-2014, 03:15 PM
I found one Blowtorch vs HEAT Viper at the TRU in Redlands. Passed; I have two HEAT Vipers and a Blowtorch already. Unfortunately, given TRU's "feast or famine" strategy when it comes to exclusives, and me not being really close to any anymore, I have the feeling that will be the only time I see any of them.

figrin bran
07-31-2014, 10:56 PM
I got the 2 triple packs - the Destro one and Viper/Beachhead/Trooper.

Maradona
08-01-2014, 09:41 AM
I ordered my 50th Anniversary stuff from BBTS. Still waiting for everything to come into stock before having it shipped.

figrin bran
08-02-2014, 09:19 PM
So far it's been a feast with the TRU exclusives - got Lowlight/Night Viper and Heat Viper/Blowtorch and left 3 of each set behind. They also had 6 of the triple packs.

Maradona
08-03-2014, 11:33 AM
I was shocked to find the TRU exclusives on Friday night at LF TRU. I only ordered from BBTS because I was convinced they'd never show up anywhere near me.

El Chuxter
08-05-2014, 10:00 AM
Hit three TRU's yesterday. Redlands had nothing, Riverside had three Blowtorch/HEAT Vipers, and Moreno Valley had the same... plus one Low-Light/Night Viper and the Snake Eyes/Ice Viper vehicle set. I picked up both of these; the vehicle was pretty damned pricey, but I figured better to get it if I've only seen one at multiple stores and decide later whether to keep it. :)

El Chuxter
08-09-2014, 11:56 PM
Redlands TRU restocked. They had a ton of the Blowtorch and Leatherneck sets, and a couple each of the Low-Light and Viper Commander sets. No vehicles. I picked up the Viper set (didn't have moolah to pick up extras of anything at the time).

There's at least one more figure set, right? (Not counting at least two vehicles.) I seem to recall a Baroness and a Lady Jaye. Not going to bother looking them up right now. :)

It does appear that if I ever decide to change my mind on Leatherneck or Blowtorch, they'll be the easiest to find. By far.