PDA

View Full Version : Question for movie theater employees

2-1B
02-24-2002, 01:07 AM
Do you watch every movie that comes through your theater? Every single one? I was thinking it would be cool to see every new release. I love movies, and if I had the time/money, I would see everything. Even if I thought they looked poor *cough 40Days/40Nights cough*

I know there are a few members here who work at theaters, so I'm just curious as to your viewing habits. Thanks :)

Rollo Tomassi
02-24-2002, 08:22 AM
I tried that last year, but failed. At any given moment I'd have seen 8 or more of the ten movies playing at my theatre, plus a few at the other theatres in town. Now I'm lucky if I've seen more than two. There are simply too many films. And most are crap. I try to have a good sense of what the film's about so if people ask I can tell 'em if its good or not. I can usually go and watch 10-20 minutes and figure out if I want to see the whole thing. Movies like Rollerball, Kung Pow, Crossroads etc I can figure out the entire plot based on a five minute window of film. It doesn't cost me anything but time, but the older I get, the more precious that commodity becomes, and I don't want to waste it sitting in the dark watching inferior product.

2-1B
02-24-2002, 02:48 PM
Thanks :) That's cool that you at least tried it. How many screens does your theater have? I usually attend a big multiplex with 20 screens, and the choices there are many. I usually take in about 4 movies a month, but there are other ones I'd like to see that I just can't get to. Do people who work there ever stay after closing to have their own private screenings? I think that would be a fun time to watch.

If I may ask another question, I'm confused about your evaluation methods. In the 40 Days thread, you said it's your policy not to comment on movies that you haven't seen because it's ignorant. But in the case of Rollerball you implied that you only saw 10 minutes of it.

See, I agree with you to an extent about the ignorance thing, but in the case of 40 Days and 40 Nights I feel it's probably bad based on what I find to be a ridiculous plot line in addition to my distaste for Josh Hartnett as an actor. The trailers are also a big thing. When I am repulsed by what they believe will entice me to buy a ticket, I can't help but suspect I will dislike it. There have been exceptions though . . . Snatch for instance.

Re: Crossroads - the best ten minutes were the first ten!:crazed:

Thanks

Mike Troxell
02-24-2002, 03:27 PM
Nope. Never. Between school and work, I rarely find time to see any movies...I saw more flicks before I got a job than I do now that I work at the theater. The only movie out of the eleven that we have now that I saw was Black Hawk Down. Bah!

Rollo Tomassi
02-25-2002, 07:55 AM
Our theatre chain is fairly small, so we only have ten screens/auditoriums, but on older movies not doing to hot B.O. wise we alternate. So Hart's War is playing with Walk to Remember and Rollerball is playing with Mothman Prophecies. We also follow the quaint practice of only 4 shows a day. The first shows staggered between 12:00 and 1:00, the 2nd between 3:30 and 4:00, the first evening show between 6:30 and 7:00, and the "late" show between 9:30 and 10:00. All the movies get out at roughly the same time and there are no early or Midnite shows on the weekend.

We also only charge $2.89 for a 44 oz drink.;)

Jayspawn
02-25-2002, 01:15 PM
I used to be a supervisor at a major movie theatre, and every movie has to be watched before it is released. I think we skipped a screening every now and then, but we watched most of them. It's fun if you want to stay up late.

Mandalorian Candidat
02-25-2002, 03:21 PM
I remember being in high school and going to the movies with my buddy who worked at a theater. They'd let us in free because he worked there and gave us 50% off all the food (of course that meant a 50 cent candy bar would still cost us at least $1 there). We would stay there all Saturday walking in and out of the movies. I think my record is five full movies in one day. We sat so long I got hemorroids. I never spoke of it again until now... :dead:

2-1B
02-25-2002, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
We also only charge $2.89 for a 44 oz drink.;)

That sounds like a good deal comapred to the 3.50 they charge around here for a 32 oz drink :D

Wow Mandalorian Candidat, 5 in one day ? My record is 3 in one day, actually pretty recently. Orange County, Black Hawk Down, and The Count of Monte Cristo. The first two were back to back matinees, but the third was several hours later.
Ouch, sorry about the injuries you developed :cry: