PDA

View Full Version : Hasbro Diorama Contest

Ando
07-23-2009, 12:38 PM
http://hasbro.promotions.com/starwars/page.do?page=splash.html (http://hasbro.promotions.com/starwars/page.do?page=splash.html)

Is anyone here going to participate in the contest?

I may give it a try, but since I don't have a place to set everything up and leave it out for a long period while finetuning it, I may have to set stuff up down at my parent's or even at my in-law's place.

DarkArtist
08-10-2009, 09:44 AM
i want to enter the contest but not sure if I'll meet the deadline in time, still have alot of stuff in boxes since the move and not sure what I want to build yet.

still going to give it a shot though

pbarnard
08-10-2009, 10:49 AM
http://hasbro.promotions.com/starwars/page.do?page=splash.html (http://hasbro.promotions.com/starwars/page.do?page=splash.html)

Is anyone here going to participate in the contest?

I may give it a try, but since I don't have a place to set everything up and leave it out for a long period while finetuning it, I may have to set stuff up down at my parent's or even at my in-law's place.

Not going to bother. Since any custom work that maybe in the dio shot becomes the intellectual property of Hasbro. I'm not sure many will understand that.

OC47150
08-13-2009, 08:25 PM
I'm going to enter a couple of dios. There's one dio I still want to create (it's for my club's fall festival next month), and I'm debating about expanding another one. I did a Christmas dio last year and might pull everything out and piece it back together.

I'm going to be realistic and know I have no chance of winning. I just want to display some of my work.

Customizing and creating dios is just cheaper than therapy. That's what I say!! :thumbsup:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-15-2009, 10:40 PM
I'd like to do this, but I'm not sure what I would do, since I could hardly compete with some of the people who make super-accurate, huge dioramas. Still, might as well.

clone157
08-22-2009, 10:47 PM
I really want to, but no digital enhancements? Man, I gotta find some backdrops.

OC47150
08-23-2009, 03:48 PM
I really want to, but no digital enhancements? Man, I gotta find some backdrops.

Impossible to create without digital enhancements? No, but more of a challenge, yes. There's plenty of resource material floating out there on the web that could be used.

I have a couple of ideas brewing that I'm going to start on this week.

clone157
08-24-2009, 01:13 AM
Maybe screensavers on a LCD TV? :thumbsup:
I was always thinking of adding those later. I want to set up a green screen play area in my "trophy room". Convert the closet and BING! I think I have a new show idea for DIY Network.

IG 8D8
09-17-2009, 10:49 PM
do you guys think they are looking for more of a clone wars theme diorama since that is their promotion? Or they just treat ones from across the series equally? I would like to make a hoth or Geonosis scene for instance but maybe it won't be scored as high.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-18-2009, 12:56 AM
do you guys think they are looking for more of a clone wars theme diorama since that is their promotion? Or they just treat ones from across the series equally? I would like to make a hoth or Geonosis scene for instance but maybe it won't be scored as high.
I think anything would be fine, as long as it's from the movies or show. Not sure about EU stuff.

I should probably do it this weekend. I'm leaning towards Kashyyyk.

IG 8D8
09-18-2009, 01:14 AM
thanks for the reply. I would do Kashyyk if I had some of the new corporate alliance droid tanks. It would look great with a bunch of wookies, the turbo tank, wookie flyer, etc.

El Chuxter
09-18-2009, 01:54 AM
I kinda want to do something insanely bad, possibly involving wadded up newspaper, maybe a cat. But I know that it would never make it past the first level of filters, so the absurdity of it would never be seen and appreciated by the masses.

Ando
09-18-2009, 09:59 AM
I kinda want to do something insanely bad, possibly involving wadded up newspaper, maybe a cat. But I know that it would never make it past the first level of filters, so the absurdity of it would never be seen and appreciated by the masses.

Maybe we should start a thread for bad/anti-Hasbro dioramas and post pictures of things like you described in it.

I have toyed (pun sorta intended) with the idea of having my LEGO clone army posed around a decimated Hasbro clone army on the battlefield (living room rug).

Engineernerd
09-18-2009, 11:30 AM
Be careful with the use of backdrop, y'all. The way I read the rules things such as backdrops that were just printed out pictures, screen grabs and such wouldn't qualify. Of course, I'm not a judge so I might be reading them wrong.

Time has been the hardest part of this one for me to come up with something, find time to work on it and get it to a presentable state is a lot of effort and time.

I really wanted to the do the "Purchase of the Droids" scene. I know how I want to do it, but I'd have to take a week off work and do nothing but that to get what I envision.

The one I want to see is the Medical Frigate from Empire. With the recent figures and relatively small size, I think it would be completely doable.

I also considered the AT-AT interior. I've seen the Falcon cockpit done well by a couple of people, but never the inside of the head of an AT-AT.

I've finally settled on creating only the cell Han and Chewie are thrown into in Jabba's palace. I will be using a shoe box with a small hole cut in the top and an eye hole in the side.

Engineernerd
09-18-2009, 11:31 AM
Actually, I'm kidding about the cell. I'm going to try something. If it works you'll see the pictures. If not, no pictures.

OC47150
09-18-2009, 01:42 PM

I'd think anything is eligible. EU, too, but more mainstream -- PT, OT, CW -- would be better. Someone like Thrawn, since he's well-known, would be okay but an obscure character from a comic may be pushing it.

But that's my two cents.

pbarnard
09-18-2009, 01:54 PM
Anything goes, but has to be from the Star Wars line, can't use anything from any outside toy line, no digital enhancements/photoshopping, should stay away from customs (they become Habro's intellectual property), and the use of direct screen captures from the films/toons seems to be a no-no.

It's a challenge, but if you build it long enough before now, it should pull together. It's not hard to do environment shots, but it does take planning and taking dozens if not hundreds of pictures for just one "perfect" shot.

Engineernerd
09-19-2009, 03:34 PM
Should I keep going or stop?

http://tvandfilmtoys.com/images/bespin_dio.jpg

http://tvandfilmtoys.com/images/bespin_dio2.jpg

pbarnard
09-19-2009, 09:35 PM
If you can, make some indentations into the walls to give the appearance of panneling. Also can you tighten some of the joints of the stairs and walls?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-19-2009, 10:29 PM
That's looking cool! You'll want to switch out Boba for an ESB version, but otherwise it's very nice.

TeeEye7
09-19-2009, 11:13 PM
If you can, make some indentations into the walls to give the appearance of panneling. Also can you tighten some of the joints of the stairs and walls?

I agree with pb's suggestions: just a little tweaking and you've got it!

Very cool! :thumbsup:

Engineernerd
09-20-2009, 02:45 PM
It aint going happen. With another month, maybe. The first two panel pieces didn't fit right and I just spent an hour screwing with the foreground floor pieces.

:cry:

DarkArtist
09-22-2009, 02:37 PM
I had to back out too... just couldn't commit the time and energy to creating anything for the contest... kinda of bummed actually....

on the plus side I'm almost done working on my office / display area so hopefully soon I'll be able to post some pics of my collection.:thumbsup:

OC47150
09-22-2009, 04:33 PM
I started taking pix last night. I was pleased with how one of my entries photographed, but not the second one. I spent a lot of time tuning it.

Gonna take the last batch of pix either tonight or tomorrow and get the pix off by Thursday.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-22-2009, 11:02 PM
I ran out of good time in which to do this and I figured some people go above and beyond with their dioramas so I wouldn't even really be able to compete. I should have started back in July - seems like everyone else here is feeling the same . . .

El Chuxter
09-23-2009, 12:16 AM
I already got the e-mail telling me I'd won.

Engineernerd
09-23-2009, 11:21 AM
I ran out of good time in which to do this and I figured some people go above and beyond with their dioramas so I wouldn't even really be able to compete. I should have started back in July - seems like everyone else here is feeling the same . . .

I really don't see how you could do something new for this and have it ready in the allotted time.

We probably need to ask them if this will be an annual thing where you could start now.

pbarnard
09-23-2009, 11:52 AM
I really don't see how you could do something new for this and have it ready in the allotted time.

We probably need to ask them if this will be an annual thing where you could start now.

They did give about 3 months notice. While most hobby dioists can work on something for 6 months or longer, that entails set, custom figures etc. By eliminating the custom aspect, that can trim 1 month off right there. Technically you don't even need a set if you can do an outside shot. That takes a bit more time and photography skill however. I've submitted about a dozen pictures or so at joedios.com, all outdoor shots. For the "good" submitted shot, I took maybe 20-30 others that weren't any good. No sets.

It's not hard, but it is a lot harder than it looks, and takes practice with building, photography, and planning. It takes vision, understanding of spacing and perspective, etc. It's not set up a bunch of stuff in front of a backdrop, snap a picture, submit it an win the prize.

Engineernerd
09-23-2009, 11:56 AM
They did give about 3 months notice. While most hobby dioists can work on something for 6 months or longer, that entails set, custom figures etc. By eliminating the custom aspect, that can trim 1 month off right there. Technically you don't even need a set if you can do an outside shot. That takes a bit more time and photography skill however. I've submitted about a dozen pictures or so at joedios.com, all outdoor shots. For the "good" submitted shot, I took maybe 20-30 others that weren't any good. No sets.

It's not hard, but it is a lot harder than it looks, and takes practice with building, photography, and planning.

Wasn't part of the prize to have it displayed at the next Celebration? Hard to do that with outdoor shots.

pbarnard
09-23-2009, 11:59 AM
Wasn't part of the prize to have it displayed at the next Celebration? Hard to do that with outdoor shots.

That's what front end loaders are for. :thumbsup:

Plus, in favor of outdoor work, it is much harder to control the lighting than indoor. Lighting can add effects without photoshopping.

IG 8D8
09-26-2009, 08:05 PM
I ran out of time too. I had a different project to finish, so couldn't make it work. I was going to have a Geonosis type scene, with an AT-AE and clone troopers fighting battle droids, hailfire droids and the like. Still might do this diorama and take pics. I was going to utilize dirt to make canyon edges and towers. This way you don't have to use plaster or some other product. You can make things huge with dirt/wet sand.

OC47150
09-27-2009, 05:44 PM
I already got the e-mail telling me I'd won.

Good one. I had to grin when I read this.

I entered three different dioramas. One entry only had one pix; this particular diorama just didn't gell as well as I thought it would.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-27-2009, 06:04 PM
Care to share? I'd love to see what people did, and there's no risk of picture-stealing given the contest ended a few days ago.

OC47150
09-27-2009, 06:42 PM
Care to share? I'd love to see what people did, and there's no risk of picture-stealing given the contest ended a few days ago.

The first one was Anakin questioning Watto about Shmi. I enhanced a diorama I made about two years ago with droid pieces (thank you, Hasbro, for BAD parts!!), and pieces from a dissembled TV and VCR. Until the contest, it was a Raiders of the Lost Ark diorama.

The second one involves a crashed Jedi star fighter and Obi-Wan fighting off SBDs and destroyer droids. The figures were all from the CW line. Another older dio I had. I picked up several SBDs and DDs real cheap and thought a CW scene would be cool. The star fighter was one of the first ships I'd customized. It was missing a few pieces to start with, and I had a little fun with the Dremel and a lighter.

The final, and sole pix, diorama involves Jawas finding a bunch of junk in the desert. I wanted to incorporate a wrecked landspeeder but it didn't work.

I had intentions of entering a fourth dio, a Christmas themed one, but ran out of time and couldn't get everything together. I created this one for my club's Christmas party last year. It's like a living room scene with OT and PT characters decorating a tree and stuff. I used some of the holo figures as the Ghosts of Christmas Past.

El Chuxter
09-27-2009, 10:22 PM
I did an entirely EU scene, using my very first (crappy) custom figure: Qui-Gon Jinn in Leia's metal bikini. In the scene, he's walking in front of a bar, while Rum Slegg, Barada, Jek Porkins, a Jawa, a Polis Massan, and the Incredible Hulk are sitting on the hoods of their vintage hot rods and making catcalls.

pbarnard
09-29-2009, 09:52 AM
I did an entirely EU scene, using my very first (crappy) custom figure: Qui-Gon Jinn in Leia's metal bikini. In the scene, he's walking in front of a bar, while Rum Slegg, Barada, Jek Porkins, a Jawa, a Polis Massan, and the Incredible Hulk are sitting on the hoods of their vintage hot rods and making catcalls.

Well you're disqualified. The Increidble Hulk figure is totally not allowed. :p

DarkArtist
09-29-2009, 11:50 AM

i nearly peed myself laughing at this.... very funny...:D:D

DarkArtist
09-29-2009, 11:51 AM
The first one was Anakin questioning Watto about Shmi. I enhanced a diorama I made about two years ago with droid pieces (thank you, Hasbro, for BAD parts!!), and pieces from a dissembled TV and VCR. Until the contest, it was a Raiders of the Lost Ark diorama.

The second one involves a crashed Jedi star fighter and Obi-Wan fighting off SBDs and destroyer droids. The figures were all from the CW line. Another older dio I had. I picked up several SBDs and DDs real cheap and thought a CW scene would be cool. The star fighter was one of the first ships I'd customized. It was missing a few pieces to start with, and I had a little fun with the Dremel and a lighter.

The final, and sole pix, diorama involves Jawas finding a bunch of junk in the desert. I wanted to incorporate a wrecked landspeeder but it didn't work.

I had intentions of entering a fourth dio, a Christmas themed one, but ran out of time and couldn't get everything together. I created this one for my club's Christmas party last year. It's like a living room scene with OT and PT characters decorating a tree and stuff. I used some of the holo figures as the Ghosts of Christmas Past.

would love to see some pics... the sets sound awesome.

OC47150
09-29-2009, 06:30 PM
Well you're disqualified. The Increidble Hulk figure is totally not allowed. :p

I was going to give him an 'A' for originality.

clone157
09-30-2009, 07:34 PM
I managed to squeeze off 4 dios for the contest. Nothing too big, but at least I made the deadline. If anything, this endeavour taught me that I need scenery for me standard home displays. Does anyone know of a good repro label website? I should start on this sometime soon while the fire is still in me.

Ando
10-01-2009, 09:54 AM
I managed to squeeze off 4 dios for the contest. Nothing too big, but at least I made the deadline. If anything, this endeavour taught me that I need scenery for me standard home displays. Does anyone know of a good repro label website? I should start on this sometime soon while the fire is still in me.

Clone157, do you have any pictures you can share with us?

Engineernerd
10-01-2009, 11:43 AM
For resources I'd check out http://www.niubniubsuniverse.com/

Its where I got the graphics for my docking bay.

erikstormtrooper.com has a fair amount of label scans as well.

pbarnard
10-01-2009, 11:55 AM
Repo labels for what ships or backgrounds?

clone157
10-11-2009, 03:51 PM
Nothing specific. Just looking for good terminals to put figs to work at. I want to show my pics, just afraid about getting kicked out of the contest. Any lawyers out there to make sure it's cool to post them?

DarkJedi5
10-11-2009, 06:56 PM
Nothing specific. Just looking for good terminals to put figs to work at. I want to show my pics, just afraid about getting kicked out of the contest. Any lawyers out there to make sure it's cool to post them?

Sorry just a first year law student. Don't see why you can't post now since the submission date is passed though. But I haven't seen the "fine print" so don't take my word for it.

clone157
11-05-2009, 06:44 PM
Well, I wasn't one of the finalists, but I understand why. I will post some pics as soon as I find the files.

Ando
11-05-2009, 06:45 PM
Clone157, do you have some pics to share?

I liked the Carbonite Freezing Chamber diorama the best, but the 5 finalists were all good.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-05-2009, 07:04 PM
Damn, the finalists are all pretty awesome. I voted for the carbon freezing chamber, though the Felucia one was also incredible.

Qui-Long Gone
11-05-2009, 07:08 PM
I loved all of them, but that chamber freeze is at a whole level unto its own!

*I LOVE the Sith reunion! :D Most creative!

JediTricks
11-05-2009, 07:12 PM
I voted for the Carbon Chamber as well, but in retrospect i think I would have been happier if I had voted for Echo Base.

Sith Reunion was cute, I wondered what Ventress' "Hello, my name is Darth ______" label said. I got a kick out of Dooku looking at his own ice sculpture.

OC47150
11-05-2009, 07:17 PM
I voted for the Sith Reunion because it's fresh, creative and new.

Boba Phat
11-06-2009, 12:17 AM
I voted for the Carbon Chamber as well, but in retrospect i think I would have been happier if I had voted for Echo Base.

Sith Reunion was cute, I wondered what Ventress' "Hello, my name is Darth ______" label said. I got a kick out of Dooku looking at his own ice sculpture.

I got a look at the full diorama -- Ventress' tag had the word "Darth" crossed out.

JediTricks
11-06-2009, 02:17 AM
Neat, glad to hear someone saw it. That's a cute idea on the tag.

The main reason I didn't vote for it is because it's a smallish diorama and I like to see the winner use a LOT of figures and stuff.

Qui-Long Gone
11-06-2009, 12:44 PM
There should be a "most original" award, Sith Reunion would easily win....but I didn't vote for it because as a Diorama it easily loses to the freezing chamber....

El Chuxter
11-06-2009, 01:11 PM
Both the Tusken Camp and the Echo Base suffer, but because of the relative lack of available figures rather than any diorama-building talent on the part of the creators.

I think the dude behind Sith Reunion should've used one of the many available topless Mauls, to show what a swingin' party it was. :D

pbarnard
11-06-2009, 01:13 PM
I know I've seen the Tusken dio before this some time ago. Hoth isn't that bad, it's set detail not figures that makes Bespin stand out.

Or, shirtless Maul and Talon gettin' it on in the back corner.

Darkross
11-06-2009, 04:27 PM
I voted for the Carbon Chamber also...although I thought the contest rules stated that the diorama's had to be original creations...not re-enacting scenes from the movies. I also thought they needed to be based on the PT. I must have misread the contest. I loved the Sith Reunion...most original. I love the "We almost did it!" sign! Made me laugh hysterically!

clone157
11-07-2009, 07:11 PM
Ok, these guys showed me up big time. I got mine together in 3 days, but I will be able to do better next time. Here is one of my entries. I forgot what I called it exactly, but let's just go with "Extraction"

clone157
11-07-2009, 07:15 PM
Here's another. This was "Mission briefing aboard the Republic Cruiser Resolute", or something. Gotta love the use of Dagobah as a prop.

clone157
11-07-2009, 07:17 PM
Here's another. "49th Armored Division on the move."

clone157
11-07-2009, 07:23 PM
And finally, "Republic Assult Tank moving in".

OC47150
11-07-2009, 09:28 PM
I like your pix, Clone.

I'm going to try to get some of mine posted in the next few days.

JediTricks
11-07-2009, 10:03 PM
Ok, these guys showed me up big time. I got mine together in 3 days, but I will be able to do better next time. Here is one of my entries. I forgot what I called it exactly, but let's just go with "Extraction"That one is cool, very evocative, and I really like the ground-level photography, a lot of folks don't think to do that.

Ando
11-09-2009, 10:04 AM
Nice pics, Clone157. I especially like the scene with the Delta's and the Lucky Lekku.

DarkArtist
11-09-2009, 12:37 PM
impressive pics....awesome job.

clone157
11-24-2009, 04:41 PM
Didn't anyone else snap a few to share with us?

morpheus282
11-24-2009, 07:22 PM
Did anyone else notice that the X-wing in the Echo base diorama wasn't assembled correctly? The wings are on backwards. I find it odd that someone would go to the trouble to make sure all the pilots were "Hoth accurate" but put the wings on the X-wing incorrectly.

JediTricks
12-02-2009, 04:06 PM
I hadn't noticed that at all, and now can't find the pics. That's wacky!

The winner has been announced, it's the carbon freeze chamber.