PDA

View Full Version : Tron Legacy

DarthQuack
07-25-2009, 06:47 AM
New Trailer (http://wdmp-wdsmp.rd.llnw.net/wdsmp/TRON/VFXConcept/Grid_VFX_ConceptTest_480.mov)

Holy balls this looks pretty sick!

:thumbsup:

preacher
07-27-2009, 01:18 PM
Indeed. I really like how the suits aren't over-the-top. The design is subtle, but clearly Tron-esque. Some amazing age-regression they have too.

Qui-Long Gone
07-27-2009, 03:08 PM
Ok, so that was freaking awesome. :thumbsup:

preacher
07-27-2009, 06:25 PM
So was this just a visual effects demo or is this scene actually going to be in the movie?

I dare say I'm looking forward to this more than Iron Man 2.

JediTricks
08-06-2009, 03:54 PM
The file is named "VFX Concept Test" so it's only concept work, but man does it look amazing, I absolutely cannot wait to see this film in theaters, and if it looks this good, I'm going to be in heaven.

Qui-Long Gone
08-06-2009, 04:05 PM
^ We all will be in heaven if this flick gets done....:thumbsup:

2-1B
08-17-2009, 09:32 PM
no Cindy Morgan ?

JediTricks
08-19-2009, 09:32 PM
Who knows. But she hasn't worked much the last few years, one of those was her in Tron 2.0.

DarthQuack
03-09-2010, 09:08 AM
New Trailer (http://www.program-glitch-esc.net/) up!

Looks awesome!

:thumbsup:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-09-2010, 12:27 PM
I just saw the original Tron a few days ago and it was pretty awesome. I'm actually really excited for this one . . . looks killer!

JediTricks
03-09-2010, 03:45 PM
EEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

Bruce Boxleitner's still Alan-One!

They went "solid" with the Recognizers and everything else. There's logic in that. The smoking tires on the Tron-car though, I dunno. Still, pretty cool all around.

Glad you dug the original JabbaJohn. Supposedly it's coming out on Blu-ray in December just in time for the new movie.

El Chuxter
03-09-2010, 03:51 PM
I find this impressive.

I find it irritating that they appear to have taken the original out of print, likely to build up hype around a December re-release. Don't they realize people who haven't seen the first and like the trailer for the second in March will want to see it in, oh, I dunno, March?

I've never seen it. Guess I'll wait; it seems like one of those 80s flicks you should just buy instead of renting, from everything I've heard.

mabudonicus
03-09-2010, 05:20 PM
Yeah it's been totally confirmed for a while that Tron and Flynn would definitely be back for this one. The original film is pretty much the ponly Disney thing I ever liked. For years me and my buddies have wondered why the hell, what with technology being what it is, there was never a sequel. Thank goodness this project got underway when it did- I am sure I wouldn't be half as excited if it were a reboot. The fact that it is an honest to goodness actual sequel almost 30 years after the first one is several kinds of awesome.
The appearance of the TRON video game in the trailer gave me goosebumps, it's damn hard to explain away in-universe but what the heck, it's TRON.

I think the look of the universe makes good sense overall- if you think about it, computers have advanced quite a bit, so to me it makes perfect sense (especially considering that in the Tron universe, digitizing people and trapping them in computers is totally possible) When the first film came out, people were still playing games that had them control 8 x 8 shapes, actual recognizable characters were seen as impressive (to me, at the time, at least). Having the graphics more advanced doesn't much bother me, especially given that it might have something to do with Flynns prolonged presence in the "tronscape"
:beard: Iso&Baws&Topes
If I had seen that trailer in front of a movie without having heard anything about it I don't know what would have happened

Maradona
03-09-2010, 08:37 PM
Just saw the new trailer and was very excited by it, which bothers me. I have learned in my adult life not to expect films derived from my youth to satisfy me. When I go into a film expecting little, I usually come out reasonably satisfied. When expectations rise, the content of the films rarely match up. I want this movie to succeed.

figrin bran
03-09-2010, 11:53 PM
As a kid, I probably enjoyed the Tron video games more than I did the film itself. However, I'm definitely looking forward to this.

JediTricks
03-10-2010, 03:55 PM
I find this impressive.

I find it irritating that they appear to have taken the original out of print, likely to build up hype around a December re-release. Don't they realize people who haven't seen the first and like the trailer for the second in March will want to see it in, oh, I dunno, March?

I've never seen it. Guess I'll wait; it seems like one of those 80s flicks you should just buy instead of renting, from everything I've heard.Ugh, I can't believe you've never seen it, you really missed out, this is one of those pieces that really helps cement sci-fi movies for me. This is one of those films that really made an impact on me as a kid, not just visually (which it absolutely did), but also story-wise. As a young adult I got to see it again in the theater and immediately recognized the movie as an allegory for man's relationship to his gods (in the movie, the programs worship the "users" and even go to temple-like input/output towers to communicate with them, if they are so inclined, until one day a user is beamed into their midsts). The film is deceptively simple, like SW it seems straightforward but it's actually just saying something without being convoluted.

I totally agree it was stupid of them to pull the DVD right before the new movie comes out, there are lots of used copies but it should be on shelves to help build up for the new one.

Chux, if you are really interested and want to see the original, I'll loan you my special edition copy, so long as you keep in mind that this is the first CGI movie ever and that the story seems simpler than it really is. :p Yes, I am putting mental conditions on a loan. ;)

Yeah it's been totally confirmed for a while that Tron and Flynn would definitely be back for this one. The original film is pretty much the ponly Disney thing I ever liked. For years me and my buddies have wondered why the hell, what with technology being what it is, there was never a sequel. Thank goodness this project got underway when it did- I am sure I wouldn't be half as excited if it were a reboot. The fact that it is an honest to goodness actual sequel almost 30 years after the first one is several kinds of awesome.
The appearance of the TRON video game in the trailer gave me goosebumps, it's damn hard to explain away in-universe but what the heck, it's TRON.

I think the look of the universe makes good sense overall- if you think about it, computers have advanced quite a bit, so to me it makes perfect sense (especially considering that in the Tron universe, digitizing people and trapping them in computers is totally possible) When the first film came out, people were still playing games that had them control 8 x 8 shapes, actual recognizable characters were seen as impressive (to me, at the time, at least). Having the graphics more advanced doesn't much bother me, especially given that it might have something to do with Flynns prolonged presence in the "tronscape"
If I had seen that trailer in front of a movie without having heard anything about it I don't know what would have happenedThey made a sequel video game that was pretty immersive about 10 years back, and there was some comics life as well.

BTW, seeing the Tron game cabinet was a "woo" for me too, then I geeked and said "how is that in-universe?" :p It was Space Paranoids, damnit.

preacher
08-04-2010, 09:04 PM
Comic-con trailer is up on rottentomatoes. Nothing rotten about this Tron sequel. It's fixing to be all sorts of two-fisted cool!

mabudonicus
10-27-2010, 09:43 AM
NEW CLIP (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPFpcKm0B7U&feature=player_embedded#!) of the Daft Punk song "Derezzed". Only a little bit of new footage but it's short and cut together well, and the parts that are new look AWESOME
SOyes

Bel-Cam Jos
12-14-2010, 05:34 PM
Have been invited to a 3-D midnight showing of it this Thursday/Friday. I thought that ROTS would be my last midnight movie viewing, but it looks cool, and when/what else would I want to see one that late in the day again?

Seeing "young" Jeff Bridges was weird.

JediTricks
12-15-2010, 04:07 AM
I hit up Disney Cullifowniya Adventure for their ElecTRONica thing, a Tron Legacy-themed redress of the Hollywood Backstage area. The redress was ok, not as exciting as I had been led to believe, and the Recognizer at the front had 2 out of 3 lights out. The dance area was pretty interesting, great lasers, good Tron-costumed go-go dancers surprisingly, but the duo throwing a glowing frisbee back and forth in costume was lame as could be. :p The furniture worked well for what we saw in the trailers, strewn here and there. There was the End of Line Bar which had 2 light-up bevs, but they were true alcohol so I passed. They did have aluminum bottle sodas though, I partook. The monorail runs through almost unnoticed because it fits the theme too well (the one I saw didn't have the light cycle on the side though), but it's really close to the action and is a bit exciting IF you notice it. There's also a theater showing about 5 minutes or so of the new film in 3D, which I didn't really feel engaged me (the 3D part, I'm still not sure how I felt about the material).

Then there was Flynn's Arcade, and it was AMAZING. The decor is great, almost perfect. The music is fantastic '80s fare (which occasionally breaks down along with the lights to spew lines from the new film). The games are mostly the perfect vintage and people were eating it up, lots of people were having a blast on Joust, Rampage, Pac-Man, Defender, and more - I could swear I actually played those exact machines when I was a kid at Disneyland. Some games were actually before my time, and they had a sweet Space Invaders console that surprisingly nobody was playing. They took tokens, every game was only 1 token, the tokens were 25 cents each and have the Flynn's Arcade logo on one side and an ElecTRONica logo on the other, I kept 5. There were 2 Space Paranoids machines, the game is modestly fun, the AI gets real nasty at level 5, they did a fantastic job emulating the feel of classic arcade games and staying true to what we saw in the first film, and when you lose, you see all the high scores are Flynn's. The classic Tron arcade game they only had 1, it had even more of a line so I passed since I somewhat always sucked at it (in hindsight, I should have gone for it). They didn't have Discs of Tron which I remember playing in Tomorrowland as a kid, but that was a crap game anyway. Flynn's was a blast, almost nobody was outside playing any of the console Tron games for the new movie, everybody was inside digging the music and classic games at the classic price - I truly believe put in the right location like a college town, an '80s arcade like this at these prices would be a massive hit.

All in all, the ElecTRONica experience piqued my interest in the new film and was a pretty good immersive experience. Flynn's Arcade was a massive highlight, and I think Disney should consider making it permanent - people were willing to waste plenty of their $74 ticket price pumping quarters into classic games.

When I got home, I watched my Tron 20th anniversary DVD on my HDTV, it looks pretty good but the compression shows on freeze-frame. I also got out my Medicom Real Action Heroes 100 Flynn Light Cycle set and put it up in the living room. So now I'm all ready for Tron Legacy.

Maradona
12-15-2010, 07:45 AM
I'm going on Sunday night and I'm dreading being disappointed. I like the look of the film, but am skeptical about the story, dialogue, and performances.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-17-2010, 10:45 AM
The shots look amazing, and there were a few moments where the crowd reacted in the theater (one or two chuckles, some cheers or clapping; one geek/dweeb/nerd moment towards the end). The 3-D was strong, with only a few clearly jump-out parts. If I had seen the '82 (:eek: ) version recently, I think more of the comments would've made sense, but it's not required to get the plot (the flashbacks and references throughout are sufficient). Was the story "flimsy" as my newspaper review put it this morning? Nah. Just good 2 hour escapism, my favorite type of movie. Pretty cool, worth catching on screen, even in 3-D.

Note: there were far too many trailers shown for a midnight showing (12:01 start, easily 12:30 before the actual film began).

morpheus282
12-17-2010, 10:16 PM
Not a bad movie at all. The story is a little underdeveloped, especially the Encom tie in at the beginning, but it was a good premise with some solid effects that looked great in 3D. I'll be buying this one on DVD (or blu-ray, whatever the kids are calling it these days).

Maerj2000
12-17-2010, 10:56 PM
I really liked this one too. I just typed up a lengthy review elsewhere but there was some great IMAX 3D action scenes, I'm glad I went to see it. Great soundtrack too!

RooJay
12-18-2010, 04:36 AM
Just saw it. Really enjoyed it. Makes me really wish the action figures were better - the ones featured in the film itself were so much better than what we've got! I'm going to be seeing Tron Legacy again this weekend!

Tauntaunt
12-18-2010, 11:12 AM
Just saw it. Really enjoyed it. Makes me really wish the action figures were better - the ones featured in the film itself were so much better than what we've got! I'm going to be seeing Tron Legacy again this weekend!
I dunno about this movie,not very interested,I`d rather the '82 Version.:thumbsup:

morpheus282
12-18-2010, 11:39 AM
I dunno about this movie,not very interested,I`d rather the '82 Version.:thumbsup:

I watched the original a couple of weeks ago. While it's definately a classic, the new one is much easier to sit through. While they were groundbreaking at the time, the computer graphics in the original are a little painful to watch now.

sith_killer_99
12-18-2010, 12:54 PM
I am getting ready to take my daughter to see this, we are going to watch in 3D.

Looking forward to it!

sith_killer_99
12-18-2010, 08:45 PM
Well, I just got back from watching this with my daughter. Disney delivered IMO.

The ending wasn't what I had envisioned, also there were a few twists I wasn't prepared for, which is a good thing.

I hope it does great at the boxoffice, I would like to seem them follow it up with a sequel. :D

El Chuxter
12-18-2010, 09:12 PM
I didn't need to see that close-up of Alan Rickman's bare butt. Other than that, decent movie.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-18-2010, 09:46 PM
I didn't need to see that close-up of Alan Rickman's bare butt. Other than that, decent movie.Uh, #1... please post "spoilers" first. And #2, this isn't the Harry Potter 7 thread, Chuxter.

And I definitely put this in my top 3 for all-time films I've seen at midnight:
3. Tron: Legacy
2: SW E2: AOTC
1. SW E3: ROTS

:D

preacher
12-23-2010, 10:57 AM
Wow. The grid never looked so good. Pace wise, it was practically identical to 1982 Tron, which I guess is good if you liked the original. The updates to - well - everything were outstanding. And the new additions seemed to be a natural fit. I have three gripes, well actually four, but the third has a spoiler so I'll save it for another time.

Gripe no. uno, the show was in fact paced so close to the original, right down to the timing of entry into the grid, the games, the light cycles, the escape, the sanctuary, the train, and the portal, that it was Tron 1982 redone or how Tron would have looked now had the original been shot now. I was looking for something a bit more risky, but the plot remaining mostly unchanged. Disney and the director chose to utilize an already proven formula.

Gripe no. dos, the music did nothing for me. I kind of get that the director wanted to go for an emotionless tonalilty to match the bleakness of the grid, but for me it was just too bland. The original Tron music sounded epic, larger than life, like John Williams, in many respects, but Legacy's soundtrack was very dry and even when it tried to be epic it wasn't. It was just flat musically. Had the music been ever so slightly infused with some emotion, I'm thinking Dark Knight (the music of which I think captures the grandeur and dread of living in Gotham) would have helped tremendously.

Gripe no. tres, the 3-d. I was promised a pretty wild ride when entering into the grid and that the 3d was necessary to take it all in. I tested the theory by wearing my glasses, but closing one eye to see what the movie looked like in 2d. I don't think you get anything more from 3d than you would watching the 2d. The light cycle chase should have really nailed the 3d, but it didn't.

So in summary, the 3d was bad, the music was bad, the timing and plot devices from 1982 were the same, and there were some opportunities to integrate the subplot into the main plot that were missed. The fights are very cool.

Entertaining flick. Definitely not worth the price of glasses.

autumnsdescent
12-23-2010, 01:18 PM
I've seen this twice now - once in 2D and once in 3D.

I did a ton of research on this film - even played through the "prequel" video game released 12.7.10 to connect all the story line dots. I own the 20th anniversary DVD of the original film and watched that a couple weeks prior to seeing the new movie.

This new film was a beauty to look at. The color and animations were some of the best I've ever seen. The retro-fitting of Jeff Bridges to look 25 years younger was incredible.

I think the acting was as plausible as the story. Story was what I expected. So it fit. Jeff Bridges' work was very well done in my opinion. He played the "old dude" thing well.

The 3D was hit and miss. Parts of it were really cool. It was obvious most of the movie was created in 2D though.

Daft Punk blended the London Symphony Orchestra with electronics and synthetic beats to create a soundscape that stirred my emotions. I even bought the score on iTunes. I'm one of those people who grew up listening to and playing both classical and rock music (and industrial). Whereas I would not listen to a John Williams score like a regular artist in my catalog, I have found the Tron Legacy score on repeat for the last 7 days on my iPod.
I absolutely LOVED the music to this movie. I have the exact opposite impression that Preacherman above had. I thought the music matched the tone of the film and was filled with emotion.

I hope more and more people go to see this movie. I am afraid that, like the original 82 film, the concept is just over the heads of too many people's ability to comprehend or their ability to suspend disbelief.

I'll definitely pick this up when it comes out on DVD / bluray.

If I had the time and money, I would have liked to have gone to Disneyland or Disneyworld to see the Tron themed things at the parks there.

Maradona
12-23-2010, 06:13 PM
I saw the film in 3D IMAX on Sunday, expecting to dislike it. Before saying anything else, I want to emphasize that expectation is key. I expected the world on Episode I (and II and III) and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, for example, and no film could ever live up to that. For Tron Legacy, I was floored at SDCC 2 years ago, but was underwhelmed at this year's SDCC. Now to my comments:

I didn't dislike the film. I liked the look and effects and cameos, but still can't understand where they are or what the grid is that has water, rocks, rain, heavy eye make up, fireworks, and bars. Despite that, I think that the concept is something that can still be mined for substantial artistic and entertainment wealth. I loved the music, particularly the motif-like references to 80s soundtracks. I need to listen to it much more to be able to isolate which themes I recognized, but it felt like a hodgepodge of 80s synth. The flashbacks didn't bother me at all, I didn't feel they removed from the story or the pace, which was never firmly established. I never liked the kid or sympathized much with him. I wanted more of Alan 1, but I suspect he'll turn up in the sequel, should enough money be made. Considering how long the film was, I think the story could have been more. The ending seemed tacked together. Ultimately, though, I walked away without being overly upset or frustrated. I suppose the look and sound made up for much of my indifference to the storyline. I seem to recall the idea of making a Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse Now type story where Flynn was lost inside the grid and was being searched for. That might have been more appealing to me.

Snowtrooper
12-27-2010, 11:28 PM
I finally got around to watching this movie today. Here's some random thoughts:

-The special effects were top notch. Its a very good looking movie and you really get absorbed into the world. Its hard to pick out any one good effect because they were all good.

-I thought the Sam Flynn character was well done. He's basically the center of the movie and doesn't disappoint, IMO.

-I didn't think the 3D added much to it except for a couple of scenes: Light cycles and when Clu is addressing his army.

-The music was good but nothing outstanding. Still, it worked well for the film and was more original than alot of scores nowdays.

-The exposition really slowed down the pace, but it was needed to understand what was going on, so it was forgiveable. Some of the small talk also slowed it down a bit, but nothing too terrible.

-Beau Garret in her white jumpsuit outfit. Wow, was she ever HOT!!!

-I've read some reviews the the plot was rather confusing. I didn't think that at all. It seemed pretty understandeable what was going on. I'm guessing that since there were several things that needed to be accomplished in order to finish the movie, maybe thats where the problem was. Just guessing.

-Maradona, I was thinking the same thing about there being dust, rocks, and water on the Grid. Its supposed to be in a clean sterile computer, right? My thinking is that as computer technology has become more advanced, representations on the grid have also become more complex, which is why it looks different from the original Tron landscape.

-I wish we'd seen more of Tron, the character. If they can have a digital young Beau Bridges, why not a digital young Bruce B.

Its a worthy successor to the original Tron and, in some ways, better. I'd recommend it, especially if you are a fan of the original, and give it a B+/A-.

sith_killer_99
12-28-2010, 08:10 AM
Speaking of random thoughts. Kevin Flynn made a comment in the film about how minutes inside (the grid) were equal to hours outside (in the real world).

This got me thinking, let's say 2 hours inside were equal to 2 minutes outside (60:1 ratio).

Kevin Flynn was inside the grid for 20 years. Multiply 20 years by 60 and that's 1,200 YEARS inside the grid!!!

Kevin was indeed VERY old!:laugh:

Rocketboy
12-30-2010, 03:16 PM
I don't what movie any of you saw, but the Tron Legacy I saw last night was a horrible piece of sh**. Probably the worst movie I've seen this year. It was almost Speed Racer or Transformers levels of bad.
I'm not sure what was the worst aspect: the acting, the script, or the horrid CG Jeff Bridges.
I wasn't expecting much, and got even less. I was hoping that the visuals would make up for any deficiencies in the plot/acting, but even those were so-so.
The cast is all around lifeless, especially the guy playing Sam (and people said Hayden Christensen was bad!).
CG Jeff Bridges was really creepy. A floating head with dead eyes and hand puppet mouth movements.
The 3D was a waste, even in the action scenes. Nothing popped like it should have.
The best part was Olivia Wilde. Giggity. She may have looked hot, but her performance was bland.

The best part...I didn't even have to pay.
We were at the register about to buy our tickets when the register froze. Based on the clerk's reaction, this is a pretty common occurrence at this theater. After a few minutes with no response from management, the guy shrugged his shoulders, handed us our glasses and said "enjoy the show."

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-30-2010, 03:41 PM
I saw it a few days ago, and liked it overall. For the first time, I actually felt that the 3D added to a movie instead of detracting or doing nothing to it (though this may have something to do with the fact that I've had glasses for a few months to make up for nearsightedness, meaning movie screens are now clearer to me). Nothing popped out of the screen, no, but it helped to bring you into the world (it was like looking through a window into the landscape instead of having random crap shooting at your face, and I much prefer this kind of 3D).

CG Jeff Bridges kind of alternated between good and bad. Real Jeff Bridges doesn't really move his eyes much in this film, which translates to the CG one also not moving his eyes much, making him look somewhat lifeless until you realize that the flesh-and-blood version moves the same. But I think the mouth could have used work, as sometimes it doesn't move enough and sometimes it moves too much. I don't know how much was just me scrutinizing it because I knew it was fake. Though I do think it worked on him as Clu, if not as much on the young Kevin, because I can buy that Clu would look a little off.

Anyway, as for the story, I felt that it was a little heavy and too serious in comparison to the somewhat lighthearted original. There were fun moments sprinkled throughout, but it seemed to concentrate too hard on trying to be badass. I thought Michael Sheen as the club owner was the most outwardly "fun" aspect, but it could have used more of the gee-whiz spectacle of the original (or even something like Bit, but I know that a lot of people hate "fun" characters or find them inherently annoying).

Another thing is that I wish that the flashbacks had the world looking more like it did in the original Tron, with black-and-white people in their white suits, and goofier-looking guards (though, again, goofy doesn't fly these days, where everything has to be dark and super-serious). A slower progression would have been nice.

Overall, I thought it was thoroughly entertaining, and I liked the use of 3D. The games sequence was particularly thrilling, but if you're expecting the greatest movie ever, then you're going to be disappointed.

RooJay
12-31-2010, 02:25 PM
FYI - this was not the same world seen in the original TRON. This was an all new program, hence an all new world started from scratch that was based on the world seen in the first. Kevin Flyn and CLU created it together with TRON brought over from the original program as the guardian of the new world.
I too, would have liked to have seen some of the designs from the original movie adapted for the new one, but I think it should be pointed out that none of those designs may ever have existed in the new Grid necessarily. Unless at some point CLU of Flynn himself had ever recreated any of it on the new Grid, I think it's safe to assume that nothing from the original movie ever existed in the new world. Flynn's "vintage" light cycle being the one possible exception; though, since the color doesn't exactly match, I feel it's safe to say that the one seen here is a re-creation anyway.

I especially ink it was a shame they didn't include e Yori character from the first movie. Surely TRON must have at some point protested the omission of his lady friend. Grid 2.0 = Total sausage fest!

autumnsdescent
12-31-2010, 05:28 PM
Last night, I showed my 8 year old nephew the original Tron movie. Today I took him to see the new one. It was my 3rd time seeing the new movie in the last 3 weeks.

It dawned on me this time through that most people (especially the critics) seem to be able to keep with the pacing of the storyline. Perhaps it's an attention span or education level thing, I dunno.

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie all around.

On a completely different note, Rocketboy - you were particularly harsh on this one. Can you give us an example of a movie where you felt all the elements came together perfectly for comparison? I'm not picking on you - I just want to know what context to read your criticism into; wanting to understand where you're coming from.

Maerj2000
12-31-2010, 07:40 PM
On a completely different note, Rocketboy - you were particularly harsh on this one. Can you give us an example of a movie where you felt all the elements came together perfectly for comparison? I'm not picking on you - I just want to know what context to read your criticism into; wanting to understand where you're coming from.

I have been finding that this movie is just another of those really polarizing films. I loved it and there are others who do but there are some who not only dislike the film but hate it. Its just one of those things and its useless trying to find out why. I'm glad that you and your nephew liked it, its a fun movie and I hope they make another one.

Rocketboy
12-31-2010, 08:06 PM
A perfect example? No film is perfect by any means, but there are films where everything works better.
And since I've seen Tron compared to Avatar quite often, I'll use that example (although I'm not a big fan of Avatar either).

The use of 3D:
- Avatar was used it amazingly well. I felt truly immersed on Pandora. The flying sequences had the feeling of height and speed.
- Tron had some depth in every 3D scene, but I never felt like I was in the Grid, just observing. The light bikes didn't feel fast, they were just moving. Same thing for the speed/height in fighter jet sequence.

The CG:
- Avatar was almost 100% believable, with a few minor exceptions. I often forgot I was looking at a digital creation, which is not easy to do.
- The actual world of Tron (the Grid) looked really good (which couldn't have been too difficult when 90% of everything is flat and black), but it became glaringly bad when it came to CG Jeff Bridges. The eyes were cold and hollow (similar to the eyes on The Clone Wars, only smaller). His mouth moved unrealistically, as if there was someone controlling the lips (like OT Yoda or a Ninja Turtle). And his head seemed to bounce whenever he was moving (think Will Ferrell's Harry Caray).

The cast/acting:
- Avatar - I thought Zoe Saldana was easily the highlight of Avatar's cast.
- Tron - I can't think of a single standout performance.

The Plot:
Both were failures in being truly engaging, but because of the pacing, I was never bored watching Avatar. I can't say I wasn't bored watching Tron. The entire mountain hideout sequence (or whatever it was where Flynn was living) dragged on and on.

morpheus282
12-31-2010, 08:33 PM
Flynn's "vintage" light cycle being the one possible exception; though, since the color doesn't exactly match, I feel it's safe to say that the one seen here is a re-creation anyway.

It wasn't just a different color, it's a completely different model. I was rather dissapointed that after the big play up on it ("It's old, but it's still the fastest thing on the grid") the only time it was actually used was for a quick ride into town.

JON9000
01-17-2011, 04:48 PM
It was a lot better than I thought it would be, far superior to the original, where VHS resolution combined with faces in black & white lead to me not knowing what in the world was going on as a kid.

The concept of Sam looking for his dad and Flynn having to deal with both his good and evil sons made it a lot more interesting to me than Flynn trying to figure out who stole Space Paranoids.

My only minor complaint is they did not give TRON the CLU treatment and digitize Boxleitner 30 years younger as well. That would have been pretty cool.

Oh, and that Quorra girl was insanely pretty.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-17-2011, 06:30 PM
My only minor complaint is they did not give TRON the CLU treatment and digitize Boxleitner 30 years younger as well. That would have been pretty cool.
It's fairly brief, but they did indeed do that in one or two of the flashback sequences. Tron was standing with Clu and Flynn.