PDA

View Full Version : When Will You Stop?

Qui-Long Gone
07-27-2009, 03:37 PM
So the Comic Con pics got me excited about the future of SW figures, and yet there are still many figures that have yet to be done right (i.e. most Lukes, Solos, Leias, and 3POs) or due for an update (e.g. Gamorean Guards, Jaba with throne and better eye sculpt).

If you had only 10 more figures to collect (for EVAR)--either figures coming soon, ones you haven't purchased yet, or yet to be made sculpts--who would they be? Why don't you have them, or when will will you have them?

My order in priority:
1. ANH Solo: missed the VOTC release.
2. DS2 Luke: future looks bleak, maybe funeral pyre Vadar has potential?
3. TPM Obi-Wan: later this summer!!!
4. Gamorean Guard: one with more articulation.
5. Reclining Leia slave: not too thrilled with forthcoming fig, but I'll get it.
6. Wicket: Ewok sculpts have improved and POTF Wicket is too big!
7. Any descent AOTC Padme: no descent sculpt has been done.
8. Lando skiff: missed OTC release.
9. ROTJ Emperor: the Power of the Force is the only good one.
10. Bespin Luke: not the VOTC figure.

pbarnard
07-27-2009, 03:46 PM
1-4: Yuuzhan Vong warriors. Not talking the monstrosities that Hasbro is going to release with Kyle Katarn and try to pass off PotF2 proportions as the warrior.
5) Ulic Qel-Droma (coming soon)
6) Exar Kun (coming soon)
7) Nomi Sunrider (have made a custom, but never made)
8) A super articulated Bespin Jacketed Han Solo
9) Tsvong Lah (different armor, mask/helmet of command and with interchangable Radaank claw arm)
10) Any Luke Skywalker with a decent/accurate head from the films (the comic versions are ok/better).

Bel-Cam Jos
07-27-2009, 04:10 PM
Well, I own about 950 separate SW figures, I said once I got to 1000, I might end. So, in around 50 purchases or so, I'll have to decide.

As far as my "last 10" figures? Hmm. There'd be some EU characters, sure. Can't think of specifics right now.

LTBasker
07-27-2009, 05:26 PM
I've mostly already given it up aside from the occasional figure, I've averaged probably about 2 a month this year. However, the final 10 figures I'd get before not buying any ever again? Hmm...

1. Kyle Katarn (upcoming)
2. Dark Trooper BAF (upcoming - though don't know how I'll go about getting that)
3. Jan Ors (Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight) [not made]
4. Jerec (Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight) [not made]
5. Sariss (Dark Fores 2: Jedi Knight) [not made]
6. 8t88 (Dark Fores 2: Jedi Knight) [not made]
7. Yun (Dark Fores 2: Jedi Knight) [not made]
8. Boc (Dark Fores 2: Jedi Knight) [not made]
9. Clone Jet Trooper (Star Wars: Battlefront) [not made]
10. Dash Rendar (new sculpt) [not made]

Old Fossil
07-27-2009, 05:31 PM
I'll probably never stop, though the number of purchases will drop (and is dropping) significantly as years pass and holes in the collection are filled.

My 10 would be

1 & 2: Tonnika Sisters

3: SA Hoth Leia

4: SA Admiral Piett

5: "Old Guy" Rebel in first shots of Tantive IV battle (ANH)

6: Sim Aloo

7: Owen Lars (resculpt, ANH)

8: Bannis Keeg (Duro, ANH)

9: SA Gamorrean Guard

10: SA Admiral Ackbar

I can honestly say that I'd be happy if the line ended after that.

Devo
07-27-2009, 05:42 PM
I really couldn't come up with a list of 10 "this is all I need at this point" figures. Fact is I'll be in this till they stop because in my ideal world I'd have every cantina and jabbas palace denizen down to the most blink&miss appearance. Any OT non-core character that hasn't been done really.

DarkJedi5
07-27-2009, 05:46 PM
9. Clone Jet Trooper (Star Wars: Battlefront) [not made]

How does that one differ from this one (http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=/TAC/tacBF2clonesJTflames3.jpg&text=Thanks%20to%20Adam%20Pawlus%20for%20suggestin g%20this%20photo!)?

LTBasker
07-27-2009, 06:03 PM
The Clone armor in the first one was of the AOTC design, the sequel game (which that figure is made from) had Clone armor of the ROTS design. As well, the Jet Trooper in the first game had green rank coloring rather than the 501st deco.

Snowtrooper
07-27-2009, 06:23 PM
I doubt I will ever quit completely, even if Hasbro were to stop production. But space is going to force me to cut back sooner or later. I have almost 2,400 figures and over 100 vehicles to display. Even if I display everything loose its going to take up a huge amount of room.

Heres my top 10:

1. Dr. Evazan
2. Admiral Piett
3. Owen Lars
4. Bespin Han
5. Tarkin
6. SA Tie Pilot
7. Tonnika Sisters
8. Funeral Padme
9. Funeral Vader
10 SA Snowtrooper Cmdr

Mad Slanted Powers
07-27-2009, 06:47 PM
I'll stop when they pry the figures from my cold, dead hands!

El Chuxter
07-27-2009, 07:05 PM
1. Jaxxon
2. Teek
3. Jocasta Nu
4. Brea Tonnika
5. Senni Tonnika
6. Master Ikrit
7. Noa Briqualon
8. Kit Fisto in smoking jacket with snifter of brandy (EU 2-pack with Aayla Secura in low-cut evening gown)
9. R5-D4 (released as "Skippy the Jedi Droid")
10. Sha'gai

I want every bloody one of those, and, were they all to be made, I would assume that the world was ending and would save my money to spend on other things for the remaining five days of existence.

DarkJedi5
07-27-2009, 08:09 PM
The Clone armor in the first one was of the AOTC design, the sequel game (which that figure is made from) had Clone armor of the ROTS design. As well, the Jet Trooper in the first game had green rank coloring rather than the 501st deco.

I didn't know there was a difference between Phase I armor and Phase II armor in action figure form other than the helmet.... I do remember the coloration differences from the game though.

Droid
07-27-2009, 08:24 PM
Great thread.

I likely won't stop as long as Hasbro is making figures based on the OT; my PT purchases are fewer and fewer and I never buy EU figures.

I would probably always buy an upgrade of a figure I already have if it was particularly good or unique. I bought the Target Rancor.

My days of army building are over. I'd be surprised if I ever bought more than 2 of a figure again.

It did amaze me though as I made a list of thirty figures to nominate for SSG's Toyfare poll if we do one. There are so few I REALLY want. I thought I would do a first round and put a lot of figures on my list and then cut, but my first list only had 31 figures! I had to think of another one to put on the list in case the Tonnikas weren't allowed.

There are only 20 figures or so I really want badly and some of them are resculpts - Oola that can sit on Jabba's throne like the new Leia, the Gamorrean (I like the first one, but I want one that can hold a staff with two hands like most of them in the movie), Evazan, and ANH Owen.

I really only want four more figures from the prequels. I am OK if they never made another figure from Empire. Lumat and Sim Aloo are the last two OT figures I really want that aren't in the cantina or Jabba's Palace.

My primary focus is really the cantina and Jabba's Palace. I would like just about every figure from those sequences.

My Top ten are:

1. Green outfit Tonnika
2. Blue outfit Tonnika
3. Bom Vimdin
4. Palace Klaatu
5. Ranat
6. Shasa Tiel, Jabba's Palace Ishi Tibb
7. Taym Dren-Garen (Sail Barge guard that shot Luke)
8. Sgt. Doallyn
9. Sim Aloo
10. Lumat

LTBasker
07-27-2009, 08:48 PM
I didn't know there was a difference between Phase I armor and Phase II armor in action figure form other than the helmet.... I do remember the coloration differences from the game though.

I suppose there isn't really, I just haven't thought about Clone armor details for quite awhile so it slipped my mind it's only he helmet that's different. Either way, I hope to get the figure some day even though it'd probably be one of the easiest customs someone could do, but I can never seem to get motivated to make customs.

plasticfetish
07-27-2009, 10:19 PM
I've never collected this stuff just because it was Star Wars.
I like toys in general, and have always focused mainly on Sci-Fi, so Star Wars is an automatic.

As long as there are at least one or two interesting new things being made each year, I'll probably keep going.

bigbarada
07-28-2009, 12:08 AM
My top ten would probably be:

1. Kithaba
2. Barada (SA resculpt)
3. Wooof (vintage Klaatu)
4. Gamorrean Guard (SA resculpt)
5. Weequay (SA resculpt)
6. Vedain (Nikto Skiff Guard that Lando wrestled with)
7. Weequay Skiff Master (second Weequay on prisoner skiff)
8. Velken Tezeri (human skiff guard on prisoner skiff)
9. Chukha-Trok
10. Kaink Ewok Priestess

sebillba
07-28-2009, 07:08 AM
Here's my Top 10 most wanted - if all these got made, then the line could end tomorrow.... though I'm sure I'd still keep collecting till the bitter end.

1. BOM VIMDIN
2. UTAI (coming soon)
3. SAURIN (coming soon)
4. ONACONDA FARR / DAR WAC (don't mind which one, just want a Rodian Senator)
5. TATOOINE LUKE - definitive, SA (coming soon)
6. WOOOF
7. SHASA TIEL
8. KITHABA
9. BANISS KEEG
10. WALD

Darth Metalmute
07-28-2009, 08:11 AM
I stopped collecting the 3 1/2" inch figures a couple of years back when I had to make room for a new child. I still have storage cases full of loose ones and pick up the occasional figures and vehicles when I find them interesting and decently priced. (Thank you TRU for the $49.99 AT-TE!) If these 10 figures (sets) would be made in the 3 1/2" line, I would probably be done.

1. Jacen Solo (December)
2. Jaina Solo (December)
3. Anakin Solo
4. HK-47 on a card so I don't have to buy figures I don't want.
5. Dash Rendar not to POTJ2 scale.
6. Tsvong Lah, Nom Anor, 2 Vong Warriors and a Voxen in a battle pack.
7. Super Articulated Scout Trooper on a more accurate Speeder Bike. (If they made one, I couldn't find it)
8. Mara Jade Skywalker
9. Bastilla Shan, Carth Onasi, T3-M4, Canderous Ordo, and Jolee Bindo Battle pack.
10. Captain Gilad Pellaeon

dindae
07-28-2009, 09:26 AM
Well I was going to stop at one point last year but I got the "Well i'll just buy this figure" which became this wave and so on. If the line ended tomorrow I would be satisfied (except for the figures I have now seen and would never have). I would probably say Jabba's palace and cantina are areas that most interest me but then I remember a scene and think ___ would be really cool to have. So anything new and movie canon is good for me. So this is list is probably only as good as the moment I hit post.

1 Tonnika (but I think the appeal is that I can't have it)
2 Woof
3 Gryph (KOTOR)
4 Zayne (KOTOR)
5 Torryn Farr
6 Bom Vimdim
7 Kithaba
8 Sim Aloo
9 Sgt. Doallyn
10 Cliegg Lars

Blue2th
07-28-2009, 11:14 AM
I'll stop buying when there is no more to buy. Though I'm a lot more selective.
Since I'm a loose collector, I don't buy any repeats. Case in point, the recent Arc Trooper, Clone Pilot, Jango and Anakin from the last wave cause I already have them. Luckily I was able to complete the BAD without those.

The hobby is getting expensive, but as long as I'm being selective, I see no reason to quit.

Some figures are being replaced by better ones like the AT-AT Driver and such, so the older figures get replaced with new ones, then I can sell them to help pay for the new ones. No profit intended or expected, but it sure helps when funds are already low. I just don't want to miss out on anything cool.

The way that some of these obscure Cantina or Jabba's Denizens are, you never see them released again but only one time, so I'm more liable to pick one of those off the pegs than the latest clone. It's all part of completing these scenes that I started years ago. The complete diorama must go on!

Sometimes the bigger "must haves" take a little longer to get funds for like the Rancor which I still don't have yet, the Scramble on Yavin BP, and I do want the Lars Homestead just for that building and the Wamprat. It recently went on sale so I'll probably knock that off the list first.

I'm trying to stay in this hobby, if I could just quit buying other things like Star Trek ships, I'd have more denero, but that's not likely to happen. :ermm:

bigbarada
07-28-2009, 11:38 AM
My top ten would probably be:

1. Kithaba
2. Barada (SA resculpt)
3. Wooof (vintage Klaatu)
4. Gamorrean Guard (SA resculpt)
5. Weequay (SA resculpt)
6. Vedain (Nikto Skiff Guard that Lando wrestled with)
7. Weequay Skiff Master (second Weequay on prisoner skiff)
8. Velken Tezeri (human skiff guard on prisoner skiff)
9. Chukha-Trok
10. Kaink Ewok Priestess

This is kind of a painful list to make, because it's so hard to narrow it down to just 10. In fact, I really, really want these as well:
11. Admiral Ackbar (SA resculpt)
12. ROTJ Y-Wing Pilot (grey flightsuit)
13. Mon Calamari Officer (SA resculpt)

Then there are the core characters that I would like to see remade:
14. SA Carbonite Han Solo
15. SA C-3PO (shiny but without the vac-metalized coating)
16. SA Jedi Luke (since they just can't seem to get him right)

My list is pretty ROTJ-heavy, but there are still some characters from ANH that I would love to see:
17. SA Cantina Band Member (pack him with all five instruments and a stool, throw him on a card and people can buy as many as they want)
18. SA Ponda "Walrusman" Baba (it would be cool if they gave him interchangeable hands: one set of furry hands, one set of paddle-hands)
19. SA Dr. Evazan

As for figures that were announced at SDCC but aren't out yet:
20. Giran
21. Malikili (only because I already own the new Rancor)
22. Slave Leia
23. Nikto Gunner
24. Nein Nunb in B-Wing Pilot suit
25. Paploo and Random Ewok 2-pack

Then there are the no-names that seem highly unlikely to ever get made since even the most ardent EU fan is hardly even aware that they exist:
26. Klaatu Skiff Guard on the prisoner skiff (no, this is not Yotts Oren)
27. 1st human Skiff Guard on prisoner skiff (yellow outfit)
28. 2nd human Skiff Guard on prisoner skiff
29. Nikto Skiff Guard (vintage Nikto figure)

I would also love to see new versions of the original Rebo Band with classic Sy Snootles and SA resculpts of Max Rebo and Droopy McCool

So, yeah, very difficult to narrow it down to just 10 and these are just the ones that I could think of off the top of my head. If watched the movies again or started going through the old storybooks and "Art of..." books, then I'm sure I could think up several more.

plasticfetish
07-28-2009, 01:20 PM
14. SA Carbonite Han SoloWhat exactly is a super-articulated version of a guy frozen in carbonite going to be like?

JetsAndHeels
07-28-2009, 01:23 PM
I won't ever stop, but I am happy to say my completist ways are a thing of the past. I just cannot afford to buy every single version of a figure...plus I don't want every single one of them anyway, so that makes it easier.

Having said that, automatic buys for me are always:

Boba/Jango
Darth Vader
Darth Maul
any Jedi or Cantina character
Most clones

Obsession is Nute
07-28-2009, 01:26 PM
When will I stop? NEVER.

However, I am not really into the CW, so if Hasbro decided to kill the Legacy Collection (what I call the "main line") my collecting would be reduced a great deal.

My Top Ten

1. ROTS Nute Gunray
2. ROTS Rune Haako
3. Guri (Would prefer blue/red dress but jumpsuit will suffice)
4. Komari Vosa
5. Ysanne Ishard
6. Sate Prestage
7. Cydon Prax
8. Lord Jerec
9. Black Sun Guard (SOTE Comics)
10. Senator Amidala (Loyalist Committee)

75% of these will probably never be molded, but I wanna see them anyway.

Qui-Long Gone
07-28-2009, 04:00 PM
What exactly is a super-articulated version of a guy frozen in carbonite going to be like?

lol! :D I'm gussing a Solo figure that is unfrozen?

DarthQuack
07-28-2009, 06:04 PM
God....I haven't bought in probably 2 years maybe? I feel bad about it, but my wallet can't support that habit anymore with the prices....I do feel obligated to get the strange looking aliens for an awesome cantina someday along with great looking Jabba's Palace :)

bigbarada
07-28-2009, 09:30 PM
What exactly is a super-articulated version of a guy frozen in carbonite going to be like?

You know what I mean. "Carbonite Han" has been the nickname for Han Solo, as he appeared in the Sarlacc Pitt battle, since the vintage days.

So, I guess, since we have a wiseguy on the forums :rolleyes: I should specify that I want an SA Post-Carbonite/Jabba's Palace/Battle at the Pit of Carkoon Han Solo. :p

Bel-Cam Jos
07-29-2009, 09:55 AM
You know what I mean. "Carbonite Han" has been the nickname for Han Solo, as he appeared in the Sarlacc Pitt battle, since the vintage days.

So, I guess, since we have a wiseguy on the forums :rolleyes: I should specify that I want an SA Post-Carbonite/Jabba's Palace/Battle at the Pit of Carkoon Han Solo. :pWell, think about it: there's his pose with his arms in Michael Jackson's "Thriller" dance pose, which would require a "bent back" feature. Then, once he's free, he can dance with his arms however he wants. :D I'd sure call that SA-level. Now that I think about it, that'd be a cool figure. Good idea, BB.

Rik Duel
07-29-2009, 12:20 PM
1. new Bespin Han
2. new General Lando
3. ANY really good Luke! (Bespin, Jedi, Yellow jacket, whatever as long as it's definitive)
4. Wicket/other ewok 2 pack
5.Ackbar
6.Slave Leia
7. Nien Nunb
8. new Ponda
9.Dr. Evazan
10. that white R2 unit that got covered over in the special edition!

Blue2th
07-29-2009, 12:47 PM
Well, think about it: there's his pose with his arms in Michael Jackson's "Thriller" dance pose, which would require a "bent back" feature. Then, once he's free, he can dance with his arms however he wants. :D I'd sure call that SA-level. Now that I think about it, that'd be a cool figure. Good idea, BB.

"Cause it's this thriller, thriller life, and no ones gonna stop Han Solo in Carbonite." :bandit:

bigbarada
07-29-2009, 01:43 PM
Well, think about it: there's his pose with his arms in Michael Jackson's "Thriller" dance pose, which would require a "bent back" feature. Then, once he's free, he can dance with his arms however he wants. :D I'd sure call that SA-level. Now that I think about it, that'd be a cool figure. Good idea, BB.

I had actually always wondered if it would be possible to make a Han Solo who could bend his arms back far enough to recreate the Carbonite Block pose. Of course, the only way to really do that would be interchangeable arms similar to the OTC Dagobah Luke.

But it would also be cool to have a 2-piece Carbonite Block, so that Han would be completely enclosed inside.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-30-2009, 02:52 PM
Of course, the only way to really do that would be interchangeable arms similar to the OTC Dagobah Luke.

But it would also be cool to have a 2-piece Carbonite Block, so that Han would be completely enclosed inside.I gots no probs with either possibility. I would even consider a "make your own carbonite" kids figure, with a gel substance that hardens your figure inside. It's more of a toy than a collectible, and would be .5 past lightspeed better than Jabba Glob was. :yes:

bigbarada
07-30-2009, 03:03 PM
I gots no probs with either possibility. I would even consider a "make your own carbonite" kids figure, with a gel substance that hardens your figure inside. It's more of a toy than a collectible, and would be .5 past lightspeed better than Jabba Glob was. :yes:

How about a "Han in Carbonite" ice cube tray? Or "Han in Carbonite" popsicles with a plastic Han Solo figure inside frozen "Carbonite Blocks" available in five assorted flavors?

The disturbing product possibilities are almost endless. :yes:

Actually, the "make your own carbonite" toy would be pretty cool, as long as you're not permanently sealing your figures inside. Because there is already a way to lock your Han Solo figures away in a plastic shell, to never again be touched by children's hands... it's called AFA Grading. :D

pbarnard
07-30-2009, 03:08 PM
How about a "Han in Carbonite" ice cube tray? Or "Han in Carbonite" popsicles with a plastic Han Solo figure inside frozen "Carbonite Blocks" available in five assorted flavors?

The disturbing product possibilities are almost endless. :yes:

Actually, the "make your own carbonite" toy would be pretty cool, as long as you're not permanently sealing your figures inside. Because there is already a way to lock your Han Solo figures away in a plastic shell, to never again be touched by children's hands... it's called AFA Grading. :D

Yet everyone forgets the total awesomeness that the Bespin Freeze Chamber Playset carbonite block was :thumbsup:

Bel-Cam Jos
07-30-2009, 03:13 PM
Yet everyone forgets the total awesomeness that the Bespin Freeze Chamber Playset carbonite block was :thumbsup:"I sense much [sarcasm] in you..." ;) That Bespin Elf Guard was among the worst SW figures ever made!

Back to the question of this thread; I was in W*M today, and saw most of the new waves of Legacy figs on the pegs. I touched them, looked at them, considered some, but passed on buying even just one of them. There aren't many figures left that will make me think "I gotta get this one!" sorry. :(

Qui-Long Gone
07-31-2009, 01:22 PM
^ Yeh, I feel the same, but the figures coming out this fall have caught my attention....:thumbsup:

Devo
08-01-2009, 08:24 AM
In summation:

"NEVER!!!!!" cue 'Dark side beckons' music from ROTJ soundtrack

Obsession is Nute
08-01-2009, 11:59 AM
In summation:

"NEVER!!!!!" cue 'Dark side beckons' music from ROTJ soundtrack

LOL! I like your attitude, Devo!