PDA

View Full Version : Comic-Con Hasbro panel write-up

JediTricks
07-30-2009, 12:28 PM
Check out the fruits of my backbreaking labor:
http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=58&p2_articleid=2293

This is a near-transcription, so it is a little on the long side. It really is meant to go hand in hand with the slideshow images, but the amount of info in what they said far exceeded the images in many cases.

If you have any questions, hit me up.

bigbarada
07-30-2009, 01:38 PM
Thanks! :thumbsup:

So what's this SOTE "red lens" thing with the new TIE Fighter? I never really got past the "Fall off a cliff every five steps" level in the old N64 game, so maybe I'm missing something?

Kind of a shame, I was looking forward to buying this TIE Fighter, but now I guess I'll have to pass until we get a screen accurate version.

JediTricks
07-30-2009, 03:08 PM
Sure thing!

It was in the SOTE comic book, I think Yakface showed a picture of this recently.

Their argument holds water, if you've already bought all the other TIE Fighters, this one would be a massive frustration to have exactly the same as the first one only with a new pod.

On the flip side, you could buy the TIE Interceptor and put that pod on the blue wings of the first TIE Fighter. Or you could wait.

El Chuxter
07-30-2009, 04:37 PM
The first question took 1:20 to ask....
Probably the "nicest" way to put that, and, yet, it somehow robs the question of its frustrating neverendingness.

Ando
07-30-2009, 05:03 PM
Thank you for the write up, it makes a nice supplement to the slideshow presentation.

JediTricks
07-30-2009, 07:56 PM
Probably the "nicest" way to put that, and, yet, it somehow robs the question of its frustrating neverendingness.Oh man, totally! I went back to the room 5 hours later and people were STILL talking about that incident. What killed me is that it was a long question, and I knew the answer from within 10 seconds because it's been in Q&A so many times.

Thank you for the write up, it makes a nice supplement to the slideshow presentation.Sure thing, I'm glad to hear you guys are able to glean something out of it, that's why I put in the effort. :thumbsup:

figrin bran
07-30-2009, 08:55 PM
Oh man, totally! I went back to the room 5 hours later and people were STILL talking about that incident. What killed me is that it was a long question, and I knew the answer from within 10 seconds because it's been in Q&A so many times.

Sure thing, I'm glad to hear you guys are able to glean something out of it, that's why I put in the effort. :thumbsup:

That was the guy with the Brooklyn accent, wasn't it? He was several feet in front of me and CrunchyNug at Mattel's store line the previous day and I got annoyed then as he was asking questions to everyone else in line as well as SDCC security and the Mattel staff.

Tycho said he fell asleep during the panel and he only asked about the Eopie after asking me whether they mentioned it or not. And Derryl addressed him by first name as well.

bigbarada
07-30-2009, 08:58 PM
On the flip side, you could buy the TIE Interceptor and put that pod on the blue wings of the first TIE Fighter. Or you could wait.

Actually, I would have probably had to juggle some things in order to afford both this year, so it really just makes my decision much easier.

JediTricks
07-30-2009, 09:01 PM
Mattel too? Was it about case assortments as well? ;)

Tycho fell asleep there too?!? Geez, it was so embarrassing when we're RIGHT in front of Dave Filoni in the next panel and he's nodding off over and over. :p

Actually, I would have probably had to juggle some things in order to afford both this year, so it really just makes my decision much easier.I meant you could buy ONLY the TIE Interceptor, pass on the red-lens SOTE TIE Fighter, and then merge the wings from the original blue TIE Fighter you already own to the TIE Interceptor's pod.

figrin bran
07-30-2009, 09:06 PM
Mattel too? Was it about case assortments as well? ;)

Tycho fell asleep there too?!? Geez, it was so embarrassing when we're RIGHT in front of Dave Filoni in the next panel and he's nodding off over and over. :p

I meant you could buy ONLY the TIE Interceptor, pass on the red-lens SOTE TIE Fighter, and then merge the wings from the original blue TIE Fighter you already own to the TIE Interceptor's pod.

I didn't notice Tycho falling asleep but in the "post a photo" thread he says that he did and that he took the photo during the Transformers panel. Which obviously he didn't because I wasn't at that panel.

bigbarada
07-30-2009, 09:36 PM
I meant you could buy ONLY the TIE Interceptor, pass on the red-lens SOTE TIE Fighter, and then merge the wings from the original blue TIE Fighter you already own to the TIE Interceptor's pod.

Nice plan, except for the fact that my nephews claimed my sole remaining, blue, small-winged TIE Fighter years ago. Besides, I doubt the blues would match between the two toys (especially considering the 14-year gap in their release dates).

What I meant was that I'll just buy the TIE Interceptor and be happy with that. If Hasbro rereleases the TIE Fighter in standard colors at some point down the road, then I'll pick it up.

Although the last possible improvement they could make would be to add electronics, so maybe I should wait for that version.

Cane_Adiss
07-30-2009, 09:42 PM
Thanks for putting this write up together JT! It's pretty informative, and the effort is appreciated!

JediTricks
07-31-2009, 01:04 PM
I didn't notice Tycho falling asleep but in the "post a photo" thread he says that he did and that he took the photo during the Transformers panel. Which obviously he didn't because I wasn't at that panel.I'm pretty sure Tycho didn't fall asleep during Hasbro, but conked out during the Clone Wars panels after it.

Never take Tycho's word for anything. ;)

Nice plan, except for the fact that my nephews claimed my sole remaining, blue, small-winged TIE Fighter years ago. Besides, I doubt the blues would match between the two toys (especially considering the 14-year gap in their release dates).

What I meant was that I'll just buy the TIE Interceptor and be happy with that. If Hasbro rereleases the TIE Fighter in standard colors at some point down the road, then I'll pick it up.

Although the last possible improvement they could make would be to add electronics, so maybe I should wait for that version.Why would you want the small-wings? I was only referring to the first tall-wing blue Target version. If ya don't got it though, ya don't got it. I'm confident that should the line continue, we'll see this new one done in movie colors so you can be happy with the Interceptor for now.

This is a whole new pod, no accommodation for electronics and no more room, the ejection seat and slide-out cannons have used up interior space. I'm fine with it, I'll take an improved cockpit over that ugly turd from ye olden says - that old cockpit couldn't do electronics anymore anyway, as the electronics aspect was in the little handle thing they cut off back in '95.

BTW, something that wasn't in the panel, but I talked to Brian Merten about, he was concerned about the stickers in the cockpits of the AT-ST and TIE pods. He knows fans don't like stickers, but I gave him my frank thoughts: in this case, it was either stickers or no decoration inside the cockpit walls because no way Hasbro is gonna spring for more paint apps, and they look really good, they don't detract from sculpting in the main parts of the cockpits, so I am accepting of them. I think he made a good compromise there, and I believe they are pre-applied so I was on board.

You're quite welcome Cane. Hope you found a few things of interest, and next year won't read it because you'll actually be there! :thumbsup:

Qui-Long Gone
07-31-2009, 01:31 PM
Well done JT...

El Chuxter
08-06-2009, 06:46 PM
Well done. Tycho did doze, however. I didn't get a picture, but can confirm it. Unless he was meditating.

JediTricks
08-07-2009, 03:15 PM
He slept during the Hasbro panel? GEEZ! You should have elbowed him in the ribs like I did during the next panel. :p