PDA

View Full Version : Arc-170

WesleySr
07-30-2009, 01:11 PM
Well, I posted a good thread about HASBRO, so i guess now its time for a bad one. I saw the new Shadow ARC-170 (is that what it is called?) at Toys R Us and I almost died when i saw the price tag. $79.99 for a repaint of a vehicle that was what, $44.99 last year? What the hell are they thinking? I mean seriously, almost doubling in price. That is absolutely ridiculous. Looks like that will be a wait until clearance purchase. Seriously though, HASBRO, what are you thinking???

I would love for this to be a question that gets asked to HASBRO in the next Q&A.

Dark Marble
07-30-2009, 01:20 PM
I know what you mean!! They actually have addressed this in a Q&A stating that the price hike was justified to support the new line of mid-sized vehicles. If they weren't at this price we would not be getting the new y-wing or any others that could come down the pike.

WesleySr
07-30-2009, 01:49 PM
Yeah, I know what they have said, but I also know BS when it is being shoved down my throat lol.

Mvader91
07-30-2009, 02:57 PM
Hasbro said "watch this"!

Ando
07-30-2009, 04:37 PM
$79.99?!?

I saw these at Target today for $64.99.

WesleySr
07-30-2009, 09:18 PM
I thought they were only coming to TRU. $15 cheaper, thats real, real nice TRU.

Val Da Car
07-31-2009, 08:25 AM
This is the same ship that got the Shark paint scheme for Target and they were $30 then (oh back in 2007 or 2008).

So much a pass...this has to be a justification for the CW Y Wing to be priced the same way...

Ando
07-31-2009, 08:46 AM
...this has to be a justification for the CW Y Wing to be priced the same way...

It is. They mentioned it in a Q+A a while back.

Val Da Car
07-31-2009, 09:12 AM
It is. They mentioned it in a Q+A a while back.

At least with ARC 170 they could have tossed in a CW pilot & Imp Droid (saga) loose in the box as a thank you & handshake.

DarkJedi5
07-31-2009, 09:45 AM
This is the same ship that got the Shark paint scheme for Target and they were $30 then (oh back in 2007 or 2008).

So much a pass...this has to be a justification for the CW Y Wing to be priced the same way...

I didn't even buy that one until after xmas when the price was cut down to $20. And even then it wasn't until I'd put the matching clone pilots and droid in it that I felt I'd made a good decision. There's no way I buy this one. Unless it goes down to $20 again, then maybe.

Maradona
07-31-2009, 11:35 AM
What's really puzzling is that a few years ago, retailers had stacks of them at $29.99 for months. TRU still has the $44.99 versions laying around also. At $79, even at $64, I suspect these will sit. Remember Target clearanced out the same ship in a different paint scheme for less that $30 just 2 holiday seasons ago.

Blue2th
07-31-2009, 11:45 AM
Sad part about this is only the first one ever appeared on film.
Even the last episode of the Micro Series, the Arc-170 never looked like any of the ones after ROTS.

Maybe we'll see some in the new CGI series, but I haven't seen any yet.

DarkJedi5
08-04-2009, 10:16 PM
Saw this for $80 at TRU today! Well $79.99 technically but still! Target next door had them for $64. Is anyone actually going to buy any of these? These are gonna rot on the shelves....

Ando
08-05-2009, 09:13 AM
Saw this for $80 at TRU today! Well $79.99 technically but still! Target next door had them for $64. Is anyone actually going to buy any of these? These are gonna rot on the shelves....

I may buy 1 (from Target), but there will be no fleet building on this one.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-05-2009, 09:43 PM
I bought one 'cause, hey, what the hell. It's actually very nice, but I don't know about $65 nice (and definitely not $80 nice). It includes those blast mark stickers previously seen on the ROTS Jedi Starfighters, so it's got the option for some damage, but nothing near the grime shown on the package illustration.

DaultayDofine
08-05-2009, 11:52 PM
In the Northwest part of Connecticut. I spotted the ARC-170 for $64.99
at the Targets in Bethel, Torrington and Waterbury.

Also the Turbo Tank Support Squad for $15.99

Clone Turbo Tank also at Bethel for $99.99

Ando
08-06-2009, 08:55 AM
I bought one 'cause, hey, what the hell. It's actually very nice, but I don't know about $65 nice (and definitely not $80 nice). It includes those blast mark stickers previously seen on the ROTS Jedi Starfighters, so it's got the option for some damage, but nothing near the grime shown on the package illustration.

I plan on getting one, myself. Not right away and at Target, of course.

GeonosisJedi
08-07-2009, 11:15 PM
Yes, I too have seen the ARC-170 at Target (64.99) and TRU (79.99)
But I have no plans to pick one up, the ARC-170, while a great vehicle, is NOT worth THAT mch money...its insane!

I thought it quite humerous though. In my Toys R Us, the Wampa ARC-170 was on the shelf with the price of 44.99. Right beside it-the repainted "Imperial" ARC-170 for almost double that price.

I find it sad that two of the same vehicles could have such a difference in price..

Ando
08-10-2009, 08:49 AM
Yes, I too have seen the ARC-170 at Target (64.99) and TRU (79.99)
But I have no plans to pick one up, the ARC-170, while a great vehicle, is NOT worth THAT mch money...its insane!

I thought it quite humerous though. In my Toys R Us, the Wampa ARC-170 was on the shelf with the price of 44.99. Right beside it-the repainted "Imperial" ARC-170 for almost double that price.

I find it sad that two of the same vehicles could have such a difference in price..

I felt the same way when i saw both versions of the ARC170 on the shelf at TRU this weekend. I picked up 2 of the Wampa version for my GAR.

JediTricks
08-11-2009, 03:03 PM
This is insane, it really is $80 on their website: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3535392
It's not even exclusive!!!

Ando
08-11-2009, 03:06 PM
This is insane, it really is $80 on their website: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3535392

YEP!

Adn seeing them side by side with the TRU exclusive from last fall with two different prices is REALLY insane!

DarkJedi5
08-11-2009, 04:00 PM
It's not even exclusive!!!

Especially when you read the article on the main page has a press release (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=13&p2_articleid=2322) from big H has the SRP at $59.99. That's a $20 mark-up!

Blue2th
08-11-2009, 04:45 PM
Dang, an ARC-170 is just as expensive as those 1:18 airplanes I used to buy, which everyone agrees has gotten to be a rich man's sport now.

Are they pricing the average fan out of buying mid size vehicles? Or does the majority of collectors not care about these prices and buys them just because they have to have them? :cross-eye

Dark Marble
08-13-2009, 12:12 PM
Maybe we are being set up to fail. This is a hasbro experiment to see if mid-size vehicles will work at retail. So down the road we could be looking at a better slave I or maybe even a bigger outrider (I wish). :rolleyes:

But if the ARC and the Y-wing don't sell it will be the community at large that didn't make this happen and we won't get any benefits from it. I will probably buy the ARC as it is seems it would have been in ROTS given the chance. I will buy the Y-wing. But the price point seems to be a flat out, line in the sand, put up or shut up by Hasbro and I really don't like it.

DarkJedi5
08-13-2009, 02:35 PM
The thing about that price point is it's too expensive for an everyday kid's purchase so it's gotta be holiday or birthday which is gonna cause CW stuff to move slowly. But I think it is an ideal collector price point (if the item is worth it). Dark Marble is spot on, if they put a BMF style Slave I at that price point they'd fly off the shelves because every collector would have to have it and kids would still be interested. I bet the ARCs will sit and the Y-Wings won't really move until November.

Blue2th
08-13-2009, 05:17 PM
Maybe we are being set up to fail. This is a hasbro experiment to see if mid-size vehicles will work at retail. So down the road we could be looking at a better slave I or maybe even a bigger outrider (I wish). :rolleyes:

But if the ARC and the Y-wing don't sell it will be the community at large that didn't make this happen and we won't get any benefits from it. I will probably buy the ARC as it is seems it would have been in ROTS given the chance. I will buy the Y-wing. But the price point seems to be a flat out, line in the sand, put up or shut up by Hasbro and I really don't like it.

I see your point with the CW Y-Wing. It's a new sculpt, has cool features on it and such. It's one of the vehicles I want, but not the ARC Fighter in Imperial EU colors, and more than double the price of the original ROTS one.
I could see a maximum of $40 for the ARC in all fairness.
Hasbro probably doesn't set the prices at retail, but this is just gouging IMO.

I wonder, with this high price, does the new ARC-170 look like the one on the box? Does it have any weathering? Maybe that would justify it's price, but if it's anything like most ships we've been getting, it probably doesn't have any weathering on it. It would seem we are getting less and paying more.
There's some people who don't have one so more power to em if they want to shell out the money.

I'm on board for the new Y-Wing, just like I was for the AT-TE and Falcon (at retail price) I'm doing my part for Hasbro's bottom line.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-13-2009, 10:53 PM
I wonder, with this high price, does the new ARC-170 look like the one on the box? Does it have any weathering? Maybe that would justify it's price, but if it's anything like most ships we've been getting, it probably doesn't have any weathering on it. It would seem we are getting less and paying more.
It's nowhere near as beat-up as the one on the box, and has no weathering, apart from some blast mark stickers. It's not too bad, though, since the ship is already so dark; the lack of weathering is more obvious/crappier when a ship is light, like the V-19.

Bar
08-26-2009, 12:05 PM
You guys should consider yourselves lucky!
I was in a local Toys R Us here in Scotland last week, and the standard CW ARC-170 was priced at 30(10 off!!! the sticker exlaimed!), which works out at $50, and the "new" variant that is the subject of this thread is 69.99, works out at $113...(I could take the CW version to an auto shop and THEY would paint it for less!!!)
So don't moan to me!
:grin:

Ando
09-09-2009, 09:55 AM
I was at TRU last night trying to find more Geonosis Assault BP's and the (so far) elusive CW Y Wing, and I saw that they have lowered the price on the ARC-170/Deluxe Vehicle assortment from $79.99 down to $69.99 (it's been lowered online as well: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3535392 (http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3535392)).

This is good news for me because the TRU's in my area have been a lot more fruitful than Target and ESPECIALLY Wal Mart.

DarkJedi5
09-09-2009, 09:59 AM
I was at TRU last night trying to find more Geonosis Assault BP's and the (so far) elusive CW Y Wing, and I saw that they have lowered the price on the ARC-170/Deluxe Vehicle assortment from $79.99 down to $69.99 (it's been lowered online as well: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3535392 (http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3535392)).

This is good news for me because the TRU's in my area have been a lot more fruitful than Target and ESPECIALLY Wal Mart.

Sounds like they finally got a clue! That is good news for you, I bet once they clear up a little shelf room in that assortment the Y-Wings will start to pop up.

Ando
09-09-2009, 10:06 AM
Sounds like they finally got a clue! That is good news for you, I bet once they clear up a little shelf room in that assortment the Y-Wings will start to pop up.

I hope so! I am sick of waiting for this ship when I hear about people in other parts of the country finding it.