PDA

View Full Version : Beware! eBay seller preying on collectors!

Obsession is Nute
08-01-2009, 06:52 PM
I wanted everyone in the SW collecting community to be aware of an individual who is committing fraud on various collecting communities through eBay.

His name is Matthew T. Westover but had multiple eBay accounts including Mmatt and Matumatt. In early July I preordered the Legacy AOTC wave from him. He told me it would be two weeks or so before he would ship it. I thought nothing of until until 3 weeks later, having heard nothing from him, I decided to check in and see if there was a problem. He had left eBay! So I have filed a claim through PayPal and will probably have to call Bank of America if PayPal doesn't resolve the issue.

I googled him and found he has hit collectors in the GI Joe, Spawn and FX lightsaber collecting communities, too.

I wanted to just warn the community about this guy so you don't get suckered like I did. Apparently he isn't a sophisticated person as he is continuing to use the same name for all the paypal transfers. Just beware who you are buying from! I thought someone with 80 positive reviews would be trustworthy, I was wrong!

bigbarada
08-01-2009, 08:02 PM
I had a problem with an Ebay purchase a few months ago. It took a few weeks, but Paypal was actually really good about getting my money back. If you file a claim with them and the buyer never responds, then it's a really good chance that Paypal will settle in your favor and get your money back to you. I've heard that they tend to favor the buyers in these situations anyway.

As a rule, I never preorder anything off of Ebay. I'll go through a store I trust like Brian's Toys, but even then I don't preorder much at all (although I might consider pre-ordering the ROTJ wave).

Mad Slanted Powers
08-01-2009, 08:28 PM
I wanted everyone in the SW collecting community to be aware of an individual who is committing fraud on various collecting communities through eBay.

His name is Matthew T. Westover but had multiple eBay accounts including Mmatt and Matumatt. In early July I preordered the Legacy AOTC wave from him. He told me it would be two weeks or so before he would ship it. I thought nothing of until until 3 weeks later, having heard nothing from him, I decided to check in and see if there was a problem. He had left eBay! So I have filed a claim through PayPal and will probably have to call Bank of America if PayPal doesn't resolve the issue.

I googled him and found he has hit collectors in the GI Joe, Spawn and FX lightsaber collecting communities, too.

I wanted to just warn the community about this guy so you don't get suckered like I did. Apparently he isn't a sophisticated person as he is continuing to use the same name for all the paypal transfers. Just beware who you are buying from! I thought someone with 80 positive reviews would be trustworthy, I was wrong!
He got me too. I ordered a Hoth Rebel Trooper. I should have checked first to be sure it had the silver droid piece. I eventually found one at retail anyway, so I don't need the figure. It's been three weeks now and no word. Earlier this week, I looked into it and found out what you did, that he was not registered with eBay. I also saw a ton of negative reviews. At some point a link I followed took me to a page that looked like a Malaysian eBay page that it wanted me to sign into. I eventually found the correct eBay link to send a message. I didn't want to send it directly to the address in the PayPal receipt and give him another opportunity to scam me. So, now I'm looking into the next step to get my money back from PayPal.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-01-2009, 08:45 PM
Update - I'm looking at this page (http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=motumatt*&ftab=AllFeedback&myworld=true) of feedback. His responses are that he had emergency surgery and is trying to get caught up. If he was banned, I'm wondering if he got the message that I sent through eBay. I'll go ahead and try to get my refund though.

bigbarada
08-02-2009, 10:45 AM
Update - I'm looking at this page (http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=motumatt*&ftab=AllFeedback&myworld=true) of feedback. His responses are that he had emergency surgery and is trying to get caught up. If he was banned, I'm wondering if he got the message that I sent through eBay. I'll go ahead and try to get my refund though.

Oddly enough that's similar to what happened with the Ebay seller I bought from. After about 14 days, I emailed asking for a status on the order, then I got a note from the guy's wife saying that he had suffered from a brain aneurysm and she had just gotten back from the hospital, where he was staying, and she would try to catch up on the orders. A couple of days later I got a shipping confirmation email, but when I tried looking up the tracking number that she provided, the Post Office kept telling me that the order didn't exist. After about a week and no word back from her, I filed the claim with PayPal.

I kind of felt bad about doing that, because if she was telling the truth, then having $140 yanked out of their PayPal account during a medical emergency might cause a lot of hardship. But then again, I had no way of knowing if any of the story she told was true or not. Plus, my financial situation at the time simply wasn't at a point where I could just write off $140.

Obsession is Nute
08-02-2009, 04:45 PM

I am sorry to hear I am not the only one in forum who got scammed. If this is indeed a freak situation, it is unfortunate. However, as a business owner with unearned revenues, it is his responsibility to resolve the problem. I am a forgiving person, but I don't want to be a sap. I am not seeing a whole lot of evidence suggesting he is a reputable seller. (At least under the Mmatt account he used, as he closed it).

BTW, I too have heard PayPal is really good about resolving these issues. However, I heard that they only compensate buyers if they can transfer the funds back from the sellers account. If the seller closes their PayPal account, PayPal will be unable to return the funds and won't reimburse your loss. I also heard that in that event, you can go directly to your credit card company (If you have linked PayPal to a credit card) and have your card company credit your account. You probably already know this stuff, but this is my first bad transaction, so I am kind of learning as I go and what to help others in the same boat.

Hopefully we will get our money back. I for one will have learned a valuable lesson.

DarthQuack
08-02-2009, 04:47 PM
I haven't used eBay in a quite a while to be honest, ever since all the new rules and regs. were put in place. I do want to unload some things though, perhaps at the end of the summer I'll get my butt in gear.

TeeEye7
08-02-2009, 05:40 PM
Someone needs to launch a seismic charge in his direction.

mtriv73
08-03-2009, 03:58 PM
I had ordered the GI joe Flak cannon from him. I just got my money back from Pay-pal today.

If you look at his positive feedback (before he was banned) there would be 50 in a row from the same user buying little $1 auctions from him. Since the feedback was always left the day the auction ended (and immediately after he got one or 2 negatives,) I'm pretty sure it was just him creating a false identity to buy things from himself and get more + feedback in his profile. (It doesn't help the percentage, but if you see 188 positive feedbacks in one month and 1 or 2 negatives, you probably wouldn't pause in placing a bid.)

As for the medical emergency, it's amazing how many of those people seem to get as an excuse for being bad sellers. I never believe them and even if I did, it's not my problem. If you have to miss work for a hospital stay, you make sure someone tells your boss, similarly if you're running a business (even an ebay business) you need to make sure someone keeps up communication (especially about delays) with your customers.

Blue2th
08-03-2009, 04:14 PM
Ebay doesn't put up with shenanigans from sellers much anymore. I guarantee they shut him down.
They are restructuring the whole thing, geared towards the buyer, and seller performance. They've created quite a backlash from sellers, but it's adapt or go someplace else.
No more flaky sellers tolerated. Though in the process, non-paying bidders can get banned very easily too now.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-03-2009, 06:42 PM
No more flaky sellers tolerated. Though in the process, non-paying bidders can get banned very easily too now.After the first week, I was beginning to wonder if maybe I missed a step and didn't send my payment. Normally, I pay instantly. It was maybe another week before I finally looked into it.

Blue2th
08-03-2009, 06:53 PM
Normally they would let you know within 7 days and the seller files an NPB on you, then you get a notice from ebay to pay up (unless of course he didn't get what he wanted for it and hopes you won't pay and does nothing)

If you don't respond within 8 days after that the seller files a non-paying bidder strike on you and it limits your bidding privileges. After so many it's no more bidding allowed. You have to try real hard to get a bidder ban, and be a total flake, but you would be suprised at how many do it, now that the seller cannot leave a negative feedback anymore, so there's a lot of flaky buyers out there with no reason to be good except when ebay comes a knockin'

DarkArtist
08-06-2009, 06:37 AM
i sorta gave up on ebay as the last time i won an auction (McFarlane Monsters Mummy Playset) the seller mailed the item to my old address and the figure never arrived. have had no word from him since if the figure was ever shipped back to him or not. Oh well.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-12-2009, 09:42 PM
Got an e-mail from PayPal saying they have decided in my favor and that I should be getting my money back shortly.

plasticfetish
08-12-2009, 11:46 PM
Got an e-mail from PayPal saying they have decided in my favor and that I should be getting my money back shortly.I had a similar problem a few months back, where I'd won an auction from a bidder overseas, and after the guy cut out, PayPal eventually took care of the refund. The whole thing was more embarrassing for me than anything else really, as I just about NEVER bid on anything from outside the US... but it seemed legitimate.

i sorta gave up on ebay as the last time i won an auction (McFarlane Monsters Mummy Playset) the seller mailed the item to my old address and the figure never arrived. have had no word from him since if the figure was ever shipped back to him or not. Oh well.So, uh... how did the seller end up with the wrong address anyway? Was it maybe because you forgot to update your address with eBay or Paypal, and that's the one he was given? (C'mon, fess up. ;))

As a seller, I've had that happen a few times, and I've been forced to put a note in my ads that it is YOUR responsibility to make sure that I've got the correct shipping address. If I blow it and mail your box to the wrong address (and it has happened, as I've mixed up shipping labels before), then I'll bend over backwards to make it right. But if I've shipped something out, and it's gone to where you told me to mail it, then there's not much I can do.

I'll say this though... he probably had delivery confirmation on the package, so at the very least he could have dropped you a note to tell you that it had arrived at that old address.

Blue2th
08-13-2009, 07:31 AM
I've had problems with people paying for things I sold. You file a non-paying bidder on them after 7 days and sometimes they don't pay. It's only when you put an unpaid item strike after 2 weeks and one day they usually pay, but that's a long time to wait and people don't realize you are are out of time and money.

Nowadays to expedite not waiting in line at the post office, I got a little scale (off ebay) then I log into paypal and print my shipping labels, delivery confirmation is only 19 cents, plus they will notify you if the shipping address is incorrect, or the zip code has changed, and tell you to contact the buyer first to confirm, then you can change it manually.

The only thing is the item must be packed ahead of time, measured and weighed to give the buyer the shipping cost ahead of time. It's a pain especially when you are trying to find boxes to fit all the junk you've accumulated over the years. Sometimes I just get one big box first, see how many things I can fit in there in one genre and sell them in one big lot. I did that with all my Playmates Star Trek figures, though I couldn't find a big enough box, so I pulled them all out of their packages and put "freshly opened."
It was close to 100 figures, but hey they're out the door, and out of my cluttered mind. Of course, being the collector that I am, I spent that (some of it never left my Paypal account) on something else I wanted. :rolleyes:
Yeah I lost a heap of money, but it was something old in a box in the garage for something new.