PDA

View Full Version : SW in Concert

Bel-Cam Jos
08-02-2009, 01:40 PM
While I still hate Ticketmaster, I got a couple tickets to see and hear this travelling show. It's on Fri. 10/2 in Anaheim for me. Anyone else looking forward to it?

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-02-2009, 06:16 PM
I'd look forward to it if they were doing any damn shows in the midwest area, particularly Ohio and/or MI. Hopefully they'll announce more dates in the coming weeks cos i'd LOVE to see this. I saw the LORD OF THE RINGS concert premiere in the U.S. when it opened in Columbus many years ago. Howard Shore conducted it himself; it was an amazing show.

JediTricks
08-03-2009, 02:29 PM
I still haven't decided if I'm going to it. Part of me wants to, but I'm not sure who to take or if it'll be worth the drive. How much are the tix at Anaheim?

Bel-Cam Jos
08-03-2009, 05:32 PM
I still haven't decided if I'm going to it. Part of me wants to, but I'm not sure who to take or if it'll be worth the drive. How much are the tix at Anaheim?JT, there are also a couple shows at Nokia later in October. But there were three levels of ticket prices: $85 (seemed to be on the floor), $55 (I assume this is a lower to mid level in-the-arean seats area; this is where I bought), and $35 (probably behind some column on in the bathroom :p ... or the upper levels of HC).

Bel-Cam Jos
08-05-2009, 10:32 AM
I suppose it would make things easier if this thread had the link to the site, as I don't think it's against the rules (it was a SSG news item).

http://www.starwarsinconcert.com/

TeeEye7
08-06-2009, 02:24 AM
Howard Shore did this a scant few years ago with LOTR. You think Mr. Williams would have done same a couple of decades ago. :neutral:

Bel-Cam Jos
08-06-2009, 10:33 AM
According to the Honda Center map, my tickets are still in the upper level, and a middle-of-the-alphabet letter row; just how much farther up are the $20-less tickets, then?

JediTricks
08-06-2009, 02:48 PM
JT, there are also a couple shows at Nokia later in October. But there were three levels of ticket prices: $85 (seemed to be on the floor), $55 (I assume this is a lower to mid level in-the-arean seats area; this is where I bought), and $35 (probably behind some column on in the bathroom :p ... or the upper levels of HC).Thanks, good to know. Nokia is way better to deal with than Anaheim.

According to the Honda Center map, my tickets are still in the upper level, and a middle-of-the-alphabet letter row; just how much farther up are the $20-less tickets, then?Blimp seating.

El Chuxter
08-06-2009, 07:10 PM
The preview I saw seemed exactly like what they claimed it wasn't: a screen showing movie clips while the orchestra plays.

For the price they're charging, I'd go if it were John Williams. As it is, I'll just keep listening to my soundtracks.

TeeEye7
08-07-2009, 02:21 AM
I thought Billy Ocean was conducting.............:confused:

El Chuxter
08-07-2009, 10:00 AM
Then I would've been first in line! :thumbsup:

Bel-Cam Jos
08-29-2009, 09:10 AM
The Ticketmaster emails they send me every single Saturday morning (geez, buy from them once 8 years ago, and you're on their list forever...) have had this listed. So I wonder if it's not as "sold out" as I expected it would be. Although, it's still over a month away, and there is that "economy" thing going on.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-03-2009, 10:12 AM
This was an awesome event! I'll admit that the in-lobby costumes and artwork were much less in number than I expected (and Fit was sans grin :sad: :D ), but there were a few costumed fans posing for pictures there. The inside of Honda Center (of which I hadn't been in since it was the Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim... looks TOTALLY different now :rolleyes: ) was about 75-80% full for how they configured the arena (they blocked off 1/4 of the seats that were behind the screens and orchestra section; see "Intermission" photo below), I'd guess.

How'd it begin? The orchestra started with the SW theme, after the curtain dropped, with the "crawl" SW logo, then the Star Destroyer overhead, cutting to clips from all 6 films. Sometimes they were the ones on a live cut on the big screen, sometimes they were on the two smaller side screens while film scenes were shown.

Anthony Daniels narrated, not really in Threepio's voice so it sounded like a natural speaker, while James Earl Jones' recorded voice, in Vader tone, did transitions at times. They went from E1 to E6, but often did character focuses (foci?) with music themes amid their shots.

All in all, it was a great Friday evening: Sonic chicken strips meal for dinner :pleased: with decent Orange County traffic to and from, expensive ($20?!?) but easy-access parking, wholesome family fun. It's not just the CDs on a giant screen, as this orchestra played slightly differently than Williams' performances (sometimes slower or quieter, occasionally missing notes :eek: ). If you're near a show, I'd say go for it. Enjoy the few pics below.

sonofsokol
10-03-2009, 10:53 AM
My concert is less than 2 weeks away!!!
Thanks for the information and the pics
With the Clone Wars season 2 premiere yesterday and the concert on the 16th, October has been a great month for Star Wars.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-03-2009, 09:05 PM
I checked the Star Wars in Concert website, because I didn't buy any items at the arena last night. All the stuff that's online appears to be from the London event; no US tour dates on-the-back Tshirts that I noticed. I may ask if any of you might get me one, but I'll decide on that shortly.

Tycho
10-05-2009, 05:12 PM
Star Wars In Concert was highly worth it. If you own the music video DVD that came as the Target exclusive for the ROTS soundtrack, then you already own some of this performance. However, the videos were re-edited with scenes added and new music additions. Furthermore, there was an accompanying laser light show and pyrotechnics that were much bolder than I expected (Mustafar burned and the Death Star really exploded!).

The concert was in Anaheim, California at the Honda Center, right across from the Angels' stadium and down the road from Disneyland. Anthony Daniels (C-3PO) was the emcee of events.

Around the hallways leading into the concert arena was tons of Star Wars artifacts from the actual films including costumes and weapons, not to mention giant scene settings that allowed fans to take their pictures on Tatooine, Endor, Coruscant, and other locations.

There were so many people - a lot of them in costume. It felt like a SW Celebration or Comic Con all over again. It was about that crowded, too.

Here's some pics. This show is moving between Hollywood and Anaheim tour dates right now, still on-going as far as I know, and it's well worth it for those who can attend.

These photos were taken Opening Night on Thursday October 1st.

bobafrett
10-05-2009, 05:44 PM
Nice pics Josh! I'm hoping to catch it when it comes to Chicago!

Bel-Cam Jos
10-05-2009, 07:05 PM
I decided on the program ($10 less online than at the arena) and hoodie (I have no SW long sleeved clothing) online... and I get a free magnet, too! :lipsrsealed:

I might actually have a spoiler to post...

I watched the ROTS DVD "A Musical Journey," and some of the clips and narration are word-for-word and scene-for-scene, even down to the titles and logos leading in to that section or artwork shown. It's still cool to see it live, though.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-05-2009, 07:07 PM
I posted my pics (I went on Friday night) in the Conventions thread for this. Yours are much better than mine, Tycho. And the show went from Anaheim CA, to Glendale AZ, back to Los Angeles CA.

JimJamBonds
10-05-2009, 07:53 PM
Sweet pics there dude! Looks pretty kick arse!

LTBasker
10-05-2009, 08:57 PM
Awesome pics! It's coming through here for one day, but I won't be able to go due to bad timing and it being too expensive.

Tycho
10-05-2009, 09:53 PM
I hope you all get to see it!

I missed being there when you were by only 1 day, Bel-Cam Jos. My buddy picked the night - else I think it was the night his American Express membership offered up the seats we got.

I'll visit your thread and take a look at your pictures, too.

I'm also going to post the pics that I'm actually IN over in the Post-A-Picture-Of-Yourself thread. It'll feature me and Chewbacca and some Ewoks I was hanging out with. :D

Tycho
10-06-2009, 11:53 AM
Yes, I have the same DVD you speak of Bel-Cam. I started a new thread in the Gen. Disc. forum and have been posting my pics there. I went on Opening Night, Thursday, just 24 hours before you did. Nice pics Bel-Cam.

We ate at Bubba Gump's Shrimp Co. just down the street, prior to the concert. Yup, the whole restaurant's theme is based off of Forrest Gump. Fun place.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-08-2009, 12:39 AM
Yes, I have the same DVD you speak of Bel-Cam. I started a new thread in the Gen. Disc. forum and have been posting my pics there. I went on Opening Night, Thursday, just 24 hours before you did. Nice pics Bel-Cam.

We ate at Bubba Gump's Shrimp Co. just down the street, prior to the concert. Yup, the whole restaurant's theme is based off of Forrest Gump. Fun place.I wanted to go on the first night, but timing of those I was going to ask didn't work out.

Did you get all the Gump trivia questions right, Tycho? :D (our waiter and waitress asked some movie questions before giving us our food) I've only been to the Universal City Walk one, and it's good eatin' there.

Tycho
10-08-2009, 02:16 AM
We didn't have any trivia questions. But the table by us was helping us yell "Run Forest! Run!" or "Stop Forrest! STOP!!!"

Fun place. Food was good.

Maradona
10-08-2009, 07:20 PM
I went to the Nokia Theater last night and saw the show. I was very disappointed by the quality of the production. The orchestra was good, but the effects, the chronology (not the delivery) of the story telling, and the length left much to be desired. George Lucas was there, I'm told. One of my students almost got an autograph, but The Maker was in hurry.

sonofsokol
10-17-2009, 12:31 AM
I just got back from the concert! I went with my parents, my wife and 4 year old. It was fun to experience this with people who all love Star Wars, but are at levels of Star Wars fandom.
-My parents love to reminisce about seeing Star Wars in theaters when my older brother was only 1 and he had an ear infection so they had to take turns standing by the doors rocking him to keep him asleep.
-I was born the year after Star Wars released, so it has been a part of my life as long as I can remember.
-My wife was not really into Star Wars prior to meeting me (her only character flaw). Now she is an excellent partner in Star Wars Trivial Pursuit.
-My son got into Star Wars via the Clone Wars, but he LOVES the OT and PT and is always humming Star Wars songs.

We are all at different levels and we all had a great time. The orchestra sounded amazing and Anthony Daniels was pretty entertaining. I am very glad we went.:pleased:

bobafrett
10-17-2009, 07:45 AM
I'm hoping to catch this when it swings through Chicago. Tickets go on sale today!

Darth Jax
10-18-2009, 10:41 PM
just got back from SWIC. sound quality was pretty incredible. had to keep looking at the stage to remind myself it was a live symphony and not CD. the props and displays were cool.

had a good chuckle at one TIE fighter pilot extra that was stretching his uniform more than Porkins would've

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-18-2009, 11:59 PM
I was at the second Denver show tonight. It was incredible! As Darth Jax said (I guess he was at the same show, but I wouldn't have recognized him), the sound quality was astounding - on most of the songs, it really did sound exactly like the recordings. The films were similar in most respects to the old DVD, but I haven't seen it since 2005 so there you go, and there seemed to be a lot of new stuff as well. There was a lot more ROTS stuff that I guess they added. They probably did the best on Battle of the Heroes and The Imperial March, which are two of my favorites. Anthony was fantastic and seemed to have completely memorized his lines. The props were all really cool to look at up close. I realized that some of them - the Wookiees, Queen Amidala, the Neimoidian Warrior - weren't there despite being shown elsewhere. Still, very cool stuff all around.

One thing that stood out for me was, in the Anakin's Theme video, they had Yoda in the TPM scenes but it was the ROTS digital model. I remember seeing a small clip on the ROTS DVD, but has it been shown anywhere else? That got me excited and thinking that they've committed to completely replacing the puppet whenever the film comes out again.

I highly, highly recommend this to anyone here.

El Chuxter
10-19-2009, 01:36 AM
One thing that stood out for me was, in the Anakin's Theme video, they had Yoda in the TPM scenes but it was the ROTS digital model. I remember seeing a small clip on the ROTS DVD, but has it been shown anywhere else? That got me excited and thinking that they've committed to completely replacing the puppet whenever the film comes out again.

There have been various, rather concrete rumors that some massively re-done version of the full saga is in the works, or maybe completed and awaiting release. There's the digital TPM Yoda, a slip-up by John Williams in an interview where he confirmed being asked to re-score ANH to include "The Imperial March" and possibly other themes composed after 1977, and a few cryptic remarks about Jimmy Smitts and Ian McDiarmid filming new scenes for ANH. Seems like the lid on such info was slammed shut after the Yoda appeared on the ROTS DVD. Hopefully, it eventually sees release--if there are Bail and Palpatine scenes in ANH, story flow doesn't seem like it's any longer a major consideration, so we might finally see the sandstorm, Wampa attack, Anchorhead, and other famous lost scenes.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
10-19-2009, 01:48 AM
We've been hearing "Archival Editions" rumors for years, but I can't remember anything concrete (not as concrete as, say, those rumors about them filming new Star Tours stuff which of course turned out to be true). The only John Williams thing I remembered was when he said he'd like to go back and do that at some point, not that he was asked or re-hired to do so. I don't remember anything besides fan-made speculation about new Bail stuff, and I'd think they would put him in TPM before ANH (even though it should be Bail Antilles in TPM, but whatever).

The CGI TPM Yoda on the ROTS DVD (acronym attack!!!) was only ever presented as a test for the team to get their skills back up and, I believe, to work on the newer, better Yoda that was built for ROTS, in much the same way that they CGI'ed the ESB Yoda as a test for AOTC (which Rob Coleman has said will never go beyond a test). As far as I can recall, tonight was the first time the TPM footage has been portrayed as official.

jonthejedi
10-19-2009, 03:59 AM
Quick question...I have tickets(thanks to my wife) for SWIC at Baltimore's 1st Mariner Arena on Nov.18. Is Anthony Daniels appearing with this show at every city across US???

indyjones1981
10-20-2009, 12:12 AM
Quick question...I have tickets(thanks to my wife) for SWIC at Baltimore's 1st Mariner Arena on Nov.18. Is Anthony Daniels appearing with this show at every city across US???

Yes from what I have read/heard Anthony Daniels will be the narrarator for all the US shows. SW in concert has dates listed on the website until Dec 13. It could be possible they extended the US shows into 2010 but I doubt it. But anything is possible.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-22-2009, 06:36 PM
I finally got my "gear" I ordered online (what was delaying the shipping? the free magnet! ). The hoodie is nice, and the program is HUGE! I missed out on buying a US tour dates t-shirt when I went there. Perhaps one of you kind gentlepersons can help me with that, in case you can't buy those ones online?

jonthejedi
11-05-2009, 03:45 AM
...there's an online store??? Tell us more.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-06-2009, 07:44 AM
Since I don't know if I can post a direct link to another site selling stuff here, let me say that if the entire name StarWarsinCocncert were the name of a COMmercial website, you'd find it. It has tour dates, ticket purchasing, and merchandise.

JEDIpartner
11-06-2009, 02:44 PM
I just picked up cheap seats for myself and for JediDrew for the third of December at the Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland. We haven't seen each other for a while and needed to do something fun.

JediTricks
11-07-2009, 08:03 PM
Since I don't know if I can post a direct link to another site selling stuff here, let me say that if the entire name StarWarsinCocncert were the name of a COMmercial website, you'd find it. It has tour dates, ticket purchasing, and merchandise.
It's ok to link to official merch sites.

jonthejedi
11-12-2009, 04:27 AM
Got my hot seat info via email about early entry into the art/costume exhibit...hope that includes the store, too.

jonthejedi
11-19-2009, 04:10 AM
Saw it last night...wow! Anthony Daniels was a hoot, as always. Lots of 501st in attendance, so my son was plenty entralled. Most people weren't expecting costumers, I don't think, so kids' faces were priceless.

Tycho
11-19-2009, 10:02 AM
Could a moderator move my thread with pictures from this show (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41312&highlight=Star+Wars+Concert) over here? Would the picture links still work or is that why it cannot be transfered?

Darth Metalmute
11-19-2009, 12:57 PM
I've got a dilema. I got my tickets for the 1st of December at the new Lucas County Arena. I just found out Tuesday that I am being sent to Cleveland on the 30th of November for 16 days. Cleveland is about a 2.5 hour drive so I would need to get out of work at 4:30 to make the show then I would have to drive back after the show. How long is the show so I can decide wether to leave after the show ends or get up early to drive back on Wednesday?

The same thing happened to me 3 years ago, I got tickets to the Trans-Siberian Orchestra and had to go to Cleveland that week. I left that night after the show and it got to my hotel after 2:00 A.M.

Tycho
11-19-2009, 07:02 PM
Um....I think my show was from 7 to 9 with an intermission of about 15 minutes in the middle. You'll want to get there early and leave later so you can walk around and take pictures with all the Lucasfilm archival pieces like Chewbacca, the Ewoks, and carbon-frozen Han Solo - and more (see mine and others' pics).

You could leave at 10pm and make it back by 12:30am. It won't be as late as a rock concert because they want kids to be able to go to this. Kids have to go to bed early so they can be asleep during Tooth Fairy visiting hours and other important events.

Darth Metalmute
11-19-2009, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the info Tycho.

As much as i would like to see the archive stuff, I've been able to see it before. The traveling Star Wars Smithsonian exhibit made a stop in Toledo, so I visited that several times. They also had an exhibit at COSI in Columbus that I went to. The one at COSI was really neat because it was after ROTS came out so it had exhibits for all six movies.

Tycho
11-19-2009, 11:21 PM
The one at COSI was really neat because it was after ROTS came out so it had exhibits for all six movies.

They had the actual script with bad writing on it where Padme decides to die and leave infant twins without a mother just because she was upset her husband broke her heart and decided to become the absolute embodiment of evil and take over the universe? Like that hasn't happened to other girls before her.

Sorry - couldn't resist. I actually like the prequels quite a bit, but that is one element of ROTS that I just loathe.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-20-2009, 07:31 AM
For those who've never seen Lucasfilm archive stuff up close, it'd be cool. For those of us who have, it's nothing different (with the exception of some ROTS things I hadn't seen before). I saw it at a hockey/ basketball arena (Honda Center in Anaheim CA), and they had the items in the walk-around lobby, which made it terrible to see due to the masses of people, and psoing in front of them for pics took a long, long time.

jonthejedi
11-20-2009, 07:48 AM
I was lucky...my wife sprung for hot seat pkg.(we even got a care pkg. with 3 mini-posters, 3 tote bags with Vader outlined by musical instruments, 3 water bottles & 3 commem. laminate lanyards)...so we were there for early entry at 5pm. Great approach, no pushing, shoving or lines at all. Had 2 hours to enjoy the 501st & the props. Show was truly outstanding.

A.J.
11-20-2009, 09:42 AM
I'll second what Jon said... show was great! Didn't get to see much of the exhibit for all the pushing & shoving people. Having seen the Magic & Myth exhibit it would've mostly been review anyway.

Darth Metalmute
11-21-2009, 09:23 AM
They had the actual script with bad writing on it

I do remember seeing the Howard the Duck script in Columbus.:thumbsup:

Plus, all the manaquins that was wearing Amidala's clothes seemed less stiff than Portmans performance in ROTS.

Tycho
11-21-2009, 06:19 PM
Plus, all the manaquins that was wearing Amidala's clothes seemed less stiff than Portmans performance in ROTS.

You can't fault Natalie for that. At the end of the film she does play a stiff when her character is that.

I think it was a beautiful transition gradually going from the scenes in which she had speaking lines to just being carted around by alien donkeys all dead and stuff. She nails that scene perfectly.

dr_evazan22
11-28-2009, 11:48 AM
Mesa gonna die!

Tycho
11-28-2009, 04:13 PM
LOL Ari. I immediately thought of the Tad and Bink comics.

Great picture pose!

Darth Metalmute
12-03-2009, 11:09 AM
Went to it Tuesday and loved it. Although I did come away feeling that they were pushing the prequels.

Like the Santuary Moon segment where Gungans appeared.
And the Falcon Escape when Obi-Wan's Jedi Starfighter was being chased by Slave 1.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-03-2009, 12:42 PM
My fiance's dad worked the show in Toledo and got a pic with Anthony Daniels. I'm pretty jealous! :crazed:

Darth Metalmute
12-03-2009, 01:09 PM
Did you make it there JMG?

I couldn't believe all the empty sections.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-03-2009, 04:08 PM
Did you make it there JMG?

I couldn't believe all the empty sections.

Sadly, no I didn't make it as I need to watch my $$ at the moment. I do wish I could've attended, if only to check out the new arena.

I take it there wasn't a good turnout?? Maybe they didn't sell tickets in all areas or something?!?!?

Darth Jax
12-03-2009, 07:08 PM
they booked 2 shows in denver, i attended the later show and it was over half empty.

jonthejedi
12-04-2009, 04:01 AM
In hindsight, the concert is very reminiscent of the bonus DVD SW music that came with ROTS soundtrack, in the way it's broken down, and also the narration by Ian McD. & the concert suite arrangements. Much of the footage was lifted from these "music videos."

Bel-Cam Jos
12-04-2009, 07:36 AM
In hindsight, the concert is very reminiscent of the bonus DVD SW music that came with ROTS soundtrack, in the way it's broken down, and also the narration by Ian McD. & the concert suite arrangements. Much of the footage was lifted from these "music videos."That's where the "Star Wars: A Musical Journey" name came from originally.

And note that Darth Metalmute said he'd gone to a Tuesday, concert. Middle of the week events are often less attended.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-04-2009, 03:00 PM
they booked 2 shows in denver, i attended the later show and it was over half empty.
I was there too. I don't know if I would call it "over half empty", but it certainly wasn't full. I talked to a guy who was at the early show, and he said it was about the same.

Darth Metalmute
12-04-2009, 10:21 PM
Sadly, no I didn't make it as I need to watch my $$ at the moment. I do wish I could've attended, if only to check out the new arena.

The new arena is nice. My sister has season tickets and I have caught a few games. Still has the Sports Arena crowd though.

I take it there wasn't a good turnout?? Maybe they didn't sell tickets in all areas or something?!?!?

The floor seating and upper deck was full. But it looked like only three of the 9 regular sections had people sitting in it.

And note that Darth Metalmute said he'd gone to a Tuesday, concert. Middle of the week events are often less attended.

Thats true, but I would have thought the one night only thing would bring more. I was surprised at the starting time. 8PM on a school night for an event that half of your audience is children.

Tycho
12-14-2009, 07:58 PM
But it's Star Wars. Couldn't they use computer generated imaging to fill in the rest of the audience?

TeeEye7
04-11-2010, 07:46 PM
Mrs. TI7 thought this would be a cool thing to attend with the family. I warned her about prices. She changed her mind when I went online and found out that only the super-deluxe tickets and passes were available (for the Fresno, CA venue...crappy seats on the side to boot...can't see the screen) for a grand total around $700 for the family to go to. She changed her mind.

Thank you, George Luca$!

2-1B
04-11-2010, 08:19 PM
We got great seats for a show in July, price is $65.
I'm looking forward to it!

Daryl VayDar
04-12-2010, 08:41 AM
This is coming to my local arena this summer- tickets go on sale at the end of the week in the $25-$75 range, so I'm thinking my son and I will get to go! We missed the John Williams tour a few years ago, so we're pretty happy that this is coming through at a venue with enough seating for all...

Bel-Cam Jos
05-28-2010, 09:24 AM
This will be a local SW-apolusa here this weekend. SWiC has two shows Sunday (matinee, and early evening), plus the library is having its annual (3rd? 4th?) Star Wars Day on Saturday, mainly for kids and families. I may be helping as a member of the SciFi Book Club at the library.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-31-2010, 09:50 AM
The venue was smaller (meaning less crowds, too) at Citizens Business Bank Arena in beautiful downtown Ontario where I saw it this past weekend. The orchestra was pretty good, but I noticed the winds were higher in pitch and the strings tended to be slower in pace (the TIE Fighter Attack song when the Falcon escapes the DS was off a tad based on the clip on the giant screen). They also changed the end of the Cantina Band song :eek: One encore ("Imperial March" :yes: ), and many people had left and didn't hear it. :confused:

Still, I give it a :thumbsup: .

Pics are still of a grin-less Kit :mad: and the not-quite-full arena.

JimJamBonds
06-01-2010, 08:56 AM
I was there too. I don't know if I would call it "over half empty", but it certainly wasn't full. I talked to a guy who was at the early show, and he said it was about the same.

They've been pimping the local show pretty hard and heavy on the ol' tellie.