PDA

View Full Version : QUESTIONS FOR HASBRO - round 72

JediTricks
08-02-2009, 02:53 PM
Please post your VOTE for up to 6 {six} of the questions provided in this thread, letting us know which ones you most want to see asked on August 21st. Keep in mind that your votes in round 71 do not count in this round, so if your question is still on the list you may want to vote for it again.

Also, feel free to post new questions. For reference, here are Hasbro's answers to previous SSG questions (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=13&p2_articleid=1934); and from other sites (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=13&p2_articleid=1936). The questions we asked last round can be found here (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?p=689476#post689476).

Current questions (vote for up to 6):

- In Hasbro's awesome Comic-Packs line, we've been treated to Marvel Star Wars issues 1-4, and Dark Horse Revenge of the Sith issues 1, 3, and 4. Any chance we could get comic packs of the missing Marvel SW #5 and 6, and Dark Horse ROTS #2, to complete their respective tales? (Just spitballing ideas: we could certainly do with a Leia/3PO pack for MSW#5 and perhaps a Rebel/Imperial Pilot set for #6, and ROTS #2 could use Grievous and a new deco Clone.) And what about Comic Packs for the other movie adaptation comics like Marvel ESB and ROTJ, or Dark Horse TPM and AOTC?
- In the Clone Wars line, a few scale issues have come up. Obi-Wan and Anakin figures stand pretty short compared to their non-animated figure counterparts, while Clone Troopers stand unusually tall compared to their non-animated counterparts, and obviously this means CW Obi-Wan and Anakin stand pretty short compared to the Clones. What gives here? Was this an intentional choice, and if so, why?
- Why are the Droid Factory build-a-droid parts for C-3PX incompatible with the basic figures' build-a-droid parts, especially the other protocol droids like RA7's? 3PX has a ball joint for his head while RA7 has a post, and the pegs for the arms and legs also differ, thus making it impossible to mix-n-match parts, which the concept had otherwise highly adopted. Was this done on purpose, and if so, why?
- Does Hasbro have any plans to update the Dianoga in the near future? We need one that is better detailed, better articulated and perhaps featuring multiple bendy tentacles. If you were to update the Dianoga, what format would you release it in: Battle Pack, a basic carded figure, Ultimate Battle Pack, something else?
- In a recent Q&A, you mentioned that "[Hasbro] will continue working with Sideshow on their 12" figure program." As we know, Sideshow sub-licenses their 12" Star Wars through Hasbro's Star Wars license, but the intricacies of this relationship are not fully understood. With your recent comment above, collectors are ever more curious as to how exactly Hasbro and Sideshow work together on that 12" figure line. What types of input does Hasbro have into the Star Wars items that Sideshow produces?
- Beyond Star Wars, many other franchises have tried their hand at Titanium Series - Battlestar Galactica, Indiana Jones, Marvel, Transformers, even Stargate was floated as being in some level of planning - yet they all eventually faded away from Titanium Series' light. What lessons has the Titanium Series team taken away from those other licenses' lines and their passings? For example, you put off the wave with the BSG Basestar and couldn't find a slot for this new tooling before the license ran out, yet you released a Starbuck repaint of the Viper mk 2 at theproverbial 11th hour (and didn't hit shelves until the 13th hour), an unusual distinction which fans don't really understand, and could use more behind-the-scenes insight into - why didn't that Basestar tooling get shoehorned into a later wave before the license with Universal ran out? Why release a repaint vehicle that won't satisfy fans as much, rather than an all-new mold which fans have been clamoring for?
- Regarding the future of Star Wars Mighty Muggs, what wave will be the final one at retail before the line becomes a TRU exclusive? Will some sought-after previous entries like Leia and the Stormtrooper be re-released? For Entertainment Earth's shared exclusives, who will they be sharing those with?
- What was the decision making process behind creating a Jabba the Hutt animated figure instead of a Ziro the Hutt figure? Ziro has appeared in the Clone Wars series more than Jabba so far, and his animated behavior fits the Clone Wars animated series better than Jabba. Was it merely the character recognizability of Jabba, or the fact that you had existing accessories for him, or was the idea of an evil Truman Capote Hutt just too out-there for ya?
- On the Toy Fair and SDCC slideshow image for the Walmart Droid Factory 2-packs, the Boba Fett shown with BL-17 is the Evolutions version right down to the missing emblem on his chest. However, the actual figure as appeared in stores recently is a reuse of the Holiday Special figure that is a different paint and body altogether. Why the switcheroo?
- The end of the Titanium era has brought much dismay to collectors, not simply because of the grim unlikelihood for the future behind the "hiatus" status, but also because it leaves many great ships nearly impossible to find. Many Titaniums that saw limited releases or worse and were expected to get re-released in the future are now going to be mythical at best, such as the Gungan Bongo Sub (now doomed to be postponed into eternity), Trade Federation Landing Craft, Mon Calamari Star Cruiser, Rogue Shadow, Luke Skywalker's X-wing (Sculpt 2), AOTC Naboo Royal Cruiser, Droid Gunship, Hailfire Droid, P-38 Magnaguard Starfighter, and more. What with the line's demise skunking the fans out of some great molds, would it be possible to get any sort of limited rereleases of these incredibly difficult to acquire treasures - and the ones that almost made it such as the Bongo - as HasbroToyShop exclusives? If not, why not? Isn't seeing ANY financial return on molds that haven't made their money back better than no return at all?
- Mace Windu has been represented in action figure form for 11 years now, and a large portion of those figures were released with some unique, non-standard aspect. Mace has been the first "sneak peek" and a mail-away in the modern line, the first hard-shell "choco" robe, AOTC had a deluxe before basic which has a smiling face and a second figure, AOTC basic had the screaming face, 2003 AOTC basic had the "ultimate lightsaber control" stick gimmick, ROTS had the Force Lightning throw-off gimmick, and now the Clone Wars version with removable armor and saber-swinging waist. While there have been a few normal Mace figures, and even a super-articulated one finally, it seems as if Mace Windu has been tapped by Hasbro to be the sculpting and gimmick guinea pig. Is this pattern intentional, do you think he can't sell without these sorts of things, is it just happenstance, or does someone there subliminally not realize they keep picking Mace to be the test guy?
- In this year's SDCC slideshow presentation, you previewed the first Knights of the Old Republic comic-pack, which features Rohlan Dyre and Jarael. Why though is the series main protagonist Zayne not included in the first KOTOR pack? Any chance we will be seeing him released soon after that pack, or at least at some point?
- In The Force Unleashed, Admiral Ozzik Sturn piloted an AT-KT (All Terrain Kashyyyk Transport) in a boss battle against our hero and the enslaved Wookiees. The AT-KT is merely a heavier-armed version of the AT-ST. Now that we have a new AT-ST coming out, might Hasbro be willing to do a modified version for the AT-KT as well?
- On the new red & white cards for Legacy Collection, the character photos in the upper corner are rather bizarre works this time around and lead to several questions. Why are so many of the characters holding their weapons near their faces for the images? Some sabers and guns make sense, but other accessories look odd like on the Gungan Warrior card. A few are out of scale, like Slave Leia's vibro-staff. And why are some characters using images from other movies, like Sidious Hologram using a picture from ROTJ, or Luke Jedi using an ANH likeness, or Romba altered to sub for Paploo? And what is with the "artist's interpretation" image for Malakili that looks like an oil painting? While these might seem like minor nitpicks, after a few years of quality card character art, these really stand out and take the line back a few steps. Doesn't the line deserve better?
- Whenever we next see a release of the AT-RT, could we get a version with articulated legs as opposed to the static ones designed into the original release? After all, it's supposed to be a Republic walker, not a Republic shuffler.
- Wookiees have consistently been some of the most popular Star Wars aliens since 1977, but haven't had a lot of great non-Chewbacca figures. Fans were very excited to finally be getting a Wookiee battle on Kashyyyk in Episode III, as well as the promise of more Wookiee figures, but figures of Tarrful and the 2 Wookiees we got didn't fully deliver on detailing or articulation, and 2 of them were hampered by action features. Since then, we've gotten updates of Kashyyyk clone troopers, but no more of their Wookiee "brothers in arms". And now with The Force Unleashed we have 2 full levels on Kashyyyk with Wookiees to fight with, but no toys to recreate this. When will we be seeing new and varied Wookiee warrior figures to live up to these great sources?
- In '08, the Clone Wars figure designs were hybrids of the animation appearance and their live-action counterparts, especially Obi-Wan and Anakin. Sculpts were a bit bulkier, bodies were less lengthy and tapered, likenesses a little more grounded. For the red card '09 line however, we're seeing designs that are closer to the show art, such as Obi-Wan Space Suit with a more angular face with larger eyes and a skinnier body that's got longer legs than the '08 figure. What brought about this change, and why? Will we eventually be seeing updates to those '08 figures with this more show-accurate style?
- Premiered at your Comic-Con booth this year was a new Luke Snowspeeder pilot figure that looks fantastic. However, the figure is sporting a thermal cap sculpted to his head, yet in the film when we see him get in and out of the snowspeeder, he's not wearing the cap (although when we see him piloting, he is), and since the figure sports the grappling gun he uses when he gets out, it's a mixed situation. Will there be an alternate version of this figure released with a head that doesn't sport the thermal cap?
- Now that you've shown off the new Slave Leia with alternate sitting lower body, it's got fans hungering for 2 things: a new ROTJ Jabba the Hutt, and Jabba's dais. We know you've heard plenty of these requests and are considering Jabba for a possible new design, up to the point that we almost just sent you literally "blah blah blah Jabba's Dais! blah blah question mark". But hypothetically, if Hasbro were to do a new Jabba with Dais, what pricepoint and format might this be released in for all that new tooling, and would the set include the existing railing and hookah or just assume that enough collectors have the piece and leave it out? Would you go back and use the Kenner vintage throne molds? Could we convince Brian Merten to get it done as another fantastic exclusive, and if so, does that mean Jabba would have an awesome new cockpit sculpted inside his head?
- Has there been any thought to creating a repaint of Clone Wars C-3PO in his "Droids" cartoon coloring? This mold is already fairly cartoony in design and realization. It would make a nifty collectible for fans of the classic cartoon, yet also could work for new collectors unfamiliar with the series as an alternate protocol droid with a unique color scheme. Any chance of seeing this happen from Hasbro, or would it have to show up in the new cartoon first to even be considered?
- At your SDCC panel, you mentioned that the Imperial Scanning Crew Technician would be coming as 2 figures via a running change, that each figure would not only have its unique head but also their own part of the scanner as seen in the film, one coming with the scanner trunk, and the other with a type of dolly the scanner was wheeled out on. Both accessories were even shown off in your booth. However, recent official Hasbro images of the first Imperial Scanning Crew figure has been released both carded and loose, and in neither image do we see any scanner whatsoever. Are those images correct and this figure isn't coming with either part of the scanner? If so, why is this? Will the running change figure get either of the accessories? If it's only the trunk, will there be a way for fans to get that second accessory?

Vote now, and suggest new questions too. Thanks for participating!

Cane_Adiss
08-03-2009, 10:23 AM
I don't really get why people are bothered by the card art. I think it looks fine and is alot better than the helmet designs from the beginning of the Legacy/Clone Wars collections. It's good that we'll be able to more easily scour the pegs for the figures we want!

In my opinion it doesn't look any worse - or really any different - than the artwork used for the 30th anniversary collection. Why waste a question on something that won't be changed, and doesn't really need to be anyway?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-03-2009, 11:35 AM
I don't really get why people are bothered by the card art. I think it looks fine and is alot better than the helmet designs from the beginning of the Legacy/Clone Wars collections. It's good that we'll be able to more easily scour the pegs for the figures we want!

In my opinion it doesn't look any worse - or really any different - than the artwork used for the 30th anniversary collection. Why waste a question on something that won't be changed, and doesn't really need to be anyway?
Since I wrote the question, I'll tell you. Many of the pictures used on the cards just look really, really cheap. I love the overall design, and I think it works fantastically for the Clone Wars figures, and looks good on a few Legacy Collection figures as well. If I could change something, I'd put a logo (Jedi, Republic, Imperial, etc.) in the white space to make it look less empty. However, there are too many examples where the pictures just look awful. The characters holding their weapons up to their faces just looks stupid and badly photoshopped, and it's on a lot of figures. It also bugs me when they use inaccurate photos, like the ones mentioned in the question - ROTJ Palpatine for TPM Sidious, ANH Luke for ROTJ Luke, and the Ewoks, since they've finally done a good Paploo and used a picture of Romba instead. Then there's Leia's weird eyes and tiny staff, and the oil painting of Malakili. So, I just want them to go back to how it was.

I didn't even vote in the last round; I was going to today, but then saw it was closed. Damn.

Qui-Long Gone
08-03-2009, 03:11 PM
JT, # 4 Dianoga is a terrific question. The Death Star set was such a huge toy back in the day and the trash compactor set a major selling point. I wonder what would happen in the Dianoga was sold in that sort of playset? I imagine it would be a seller.

*Here's a question (maybe this has been asked): Jabba and his dias....never been done since the original, and now that we have reclining Leia, I assume that figure (with better eye sculpt-much like the Clone Wars figure) will get made with the dias?

JediTricks
08-03-2009, 03:27 PM
JT, # 4 Dianoga is a terrific question. The Death Star set was such a huge toy back in the day and the trash compactor set a major selling point. I wonder what would happen in the Dianoga was sold in that sort of playset? I imagine it would be a seller.That Dianoga question was tied for a slot in the last questions, and I cut it only because the other questions were more timely. I hope that means it'll get the votes to get asked this time around.

*Here's a question (maybe this has been asked): Jabba and his dias....never been done since the original, and now that we have reclining Leia, I assume that figure (with better eye sculpt-much like the Clone Wars figure) will get made with the dias?Yeah, it's been asked in the past and they said they wanted to do a new Jabba, maybe his dais too, but couldn't commit to it yet. I'd like to hold off on that until we get to Toy Fair, but I'm willing to hear compelling arguments for using it now.

Qui-Long Gone
08-03-2009, 11:28 PM
I'd like to hold off on that until we get to Toy Fair, but I'm willing to hear compelling arguments for using it now.

Probably not too compelling, but why make a reclining Leia if there is no plan for a dias? What is she sitting on Hasbro, the floor?

Umbra
08-04-2009, 01:40 AM
Well I'm going to start with votes for 2, 12 and 16

Thanks,

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-04-2009, 12:30 PM
Just so I don't forget again, I'll vote for 9, 11, 14, 15, and 16, and submit yet another new question:

*The first several Clone Wars figures seemed to be hybrids of the characters' appearance on the show and in the live-action films, particularly Obi-Wan and Anakin. Now we're seeing figures that are much more accurate to the TV show, such as Obi-Wan in the spacesuit, who has a much more angular face and skinny body than the Jedi robes figure. What was the thought process behind this change? Were you intentionally trying to move away from the hybrid style, now that the line has found its audience? Will we be seeing updates to some of the first few figures, or will they just continue to be re-shipped?

bigbarada
08-04-2009, 01:07 PM
4, 5, 14, 16

I'm tempted to vote for 8, but only because I'm hoping Hasbro's answer might reveal something about the possibility of a new realistic Jabba the Hutt. Since questions directly about a new ROTJ Jabba always seem to lead to a dead end.

JediTricks
08-04-2009, 02:53 PM
Probably not too compelling, but why make a reclining Leia if there is no plan for a dias? What is she sitting on Hasbro, the floor?She could sit next to the existing Jabba figure, and your imagination makes whatever flat surface he's on into the dais.

*The first several Clone Wars figures seemed to be hybrids of the characters' appearance on the show and in the live-action films, particularly Obi-Wan and Anakin. Now we're seeing figures that are much more accurate to the TV show, such as Obi-Wan in the spacesuit, who has a much more angular face and skinny body than the Jedi robes figure. What was the thought process behind this change? Were you intentionally trying to move away from the hybrid style, now that the line has found its audience? Will we be seeing updates to some of the first few figures, or will they just continue to be re-shipped?I would like to see a comparison of wave 1 Anakin and Space helmet Anakin before I go forward with this, but I am leaning towards adding it. I'll compare the 2 Obi-Wans myself since I own them both.

Ando
08-04-2009, 02:57 PM
Numbers 13 and 15, please.

bigbarada
08-05-2009, 11:15 PM
I'm really hoping #5 gets answered because I have a way to tie that in to a new question about a new ROTJ Jabba.

Something along the lines of asking how much input did they have in that gigantic 12" scale Jabba set that Sideshow released in 2006? Then mention the fact that they've released ROTJ Jabba in the Galactic Heroes line (which obviously did well because they're releasing him again) and the current Clone Wars animated Jabba, who is very much in a ROTJ setting. So, would good sales on those items give them the confidence they need to create an all-new, realistic, 3 3/4" Jabba the Hutt, with dais, pipe, bowl, Salacious Crumb, etc., for the standard figure line?

Am I wasting my time crafting this question?

Qui-Long Gone
08-06-2009, 03:06 PM
JT, can I emphasize again the need to ask question 4?

*Here is another take on the Jabba dias: seems the Jabba court/sail barge figures are a big selling sucess (and some of the finest sculpted figures) and the new slave Leia will probably go well too...so it makes sense to give the big gangster his throne, since it was also a sucessful toy so many moons ago with Vintage Kenner.

JediTricks
08-06-2009, 03:41 PM
I'm really hoping #5 gets answered because I have a way to tie that in to a new question about a new ROTJ Jabba.

Something along the lines of asking how much input did they have in that gigantic 12" scale Jabba set that Sideshow released in 2006? Then mention the fact that they've released ROTJ Jabba in the Galactic Heroes line (which obviously did well because they're releasing him again) and the current Clone Wars animated Jabba, who is very much in a ROTJ setting. So, would good sales on those items give them the confidence they need to create an all-new, realistic, 3 3/4" Jabba the Hutt, with dais, pipe, bowl, Salacious Crumb, etc., for the standard figure line?

Am I wasting my time crafting this question?Yeah, you're wasting your time with this one, they already know we want a new Jabba, they don't have much to do with Sideshow development, we're just trying to find out exactly how much, but either way it's going to be the "well, they get people to shell out $100 for a dais, what have you fanboys done for us at that level?" kind of thing. If we're not willing to spend $20 on JUST the dais for this line, we need to shut the hell up, because that's the reality of the situation, Sideshow Jabba cost the same as his dais, so by your logic the same problem would befall Hasbro. Different markets is the reality of it.

JT, can I emphasize again the need to ask question 4? You could try voting for it. :p

*Here is another take on the Jabba dias: seems the Jabba court/sail barge figures are a big selling sucess (and some of the finest sculpted figures) and the new slave Leia will probably go well too...so it makes sense to give the big gangster his throne, since it was also a sucessful toy so many moons ago with Vintage Kenner.If you guys want to hear Hasbro's answer on the dais directly, craft a direct question about it. They already said last year they hope to create one though... June 6th, 2008:

GalacticHunter.com: We know that Hasbro has looked at (and exercised) many different ways to bring us Jabba The Hutt, but, to date, there hasn't been an update for his throne/dais since the vintage Kenner years. With his key role in the Clone Wars animation, is it possible we'll see an animated Jabba The Hutt with the more realistic stone dais? (It has the "realistic" look like the vehicles in the animation.) And what would be the chances of getting the roasting spit with Jerba meat to cook in the background? (If you're going to do it, we Jabbaholics are a greedy bunch. Taxidermied Tauntaun and Jerba heads; rip-apart Gamorrean Guards; and a the odd skulls and bones to scatter around our Rancor pits -- all are welcomed.)
Hasbro: An animated Jabba The Hutt is in the works, but the dais is not part of the plan right now due to the need to keep this at kid-friendly price points. Later on down the road, for either Clone Wars or Legacy, we hope to create a new dais. Patience on this one; it may be a while but we are near 100% certain that it will come barring any unexpected developments.

Qui-Long Gone
08-06-2009, 04:07 PM
You could try voting for it. :p

I vote for 4

Dias Question: Hasbro, any updates on a Jabba dias now that we have a forth-coming reclining slave Leia?

Droid
08-06-2009, 04:21 PM
Probably not too compelling, but why make a reclining Leia if there is no plan for a dias? What is she sitting on Hasbro, the floor?

I want them to update the dais too, but I don't understand why people don't buy the vintage dais on ebay in the mean time. Vintage figures look odd sitting next to the modern figures. The updated Jabba looks just fine sitting on a vintage dais.

Qui-Long Gone
08-06-2009, 05:12 PM
I want them to update the dais too, but I don't understand why people don't buy the vintage dais on ebay in the mean time. Vintage figures look odd sitting next to the modern figures. The updated Jabba looks just fine sitting on a vintage dais.

Good idea. I had a chance to nab a vintage dais but too late...I will look into this! :thumbsup:

bigbarada
08-07-2009, 11:15 AM
Yeah, you're wasting your time with this one, they already know we want a new Jabba, they don't have much to do with Sideshow development, we're just trying to find out exactly how much, but either way it's going to be the "well, they get people to shell out $100 for a dais, what have you fanboys done for us at that level?" kind of thing. If we're not willing to spend $20 on JUST the dais for this line, we need to shut the hell up, because that's the reality of the situation, Sideshow Jabba cost the same as his dais, so by your logic the same problem would befall Hasbro. Different markets is the reality of it.

So I guess it really boils down to the question: Would I pay upwards of $30-40 for an all-new Jabba the Hutt with throne, pipe, bowl and Salacious Crumb?

To be 100% honest, yes, I think I would. But the new Jabba would have to be on the same level as the new Rancor and the new Dewback.

Darth Metalmute
08-07-2009, 12:31 PM
I'll vote for 4, 10, & 13.

El Chuxter
08-07-2009, 01:15 PM
How about possibly re-phrasing what pbarnard (???) and I posted about Chewie's family under the Fan's Choice thread, to see if they're counted among the "off-limits" Holiday Special figures?

"We've been told in the past by Hasbro that the live-action characters that are unique to the Holiday Special are essentially off-limits to Hasbro. However, all three members of Chewbacca's family have appeared in other media, including The Wookiee Storybook children's book, The Black Fleet Crisis and New Jedi Order adult novels, and the Chewbacca miniseries from Dark Horse. Could this mean that Itchy, Malla, and Lumpy might potentially be considered for potential figures?"

[Or do you hate us and want to give us another frigging Boba Fett instead?]

Droid
08-07-2009, 01:57 PM
So I guess it really boils down to the question: Would I pay upwards of $30-40 for an all-new Jabba the Hutt with throne, pipe, bowl and Salacious Crumb?

To be 100% honest, yes, I think I would. But the new Jabba would have to be on the same level as the new Rancor and the new Dewback.

I know I would buy it. However, think they made a mistake by not putting the new Leia as a pack in with a new Jabba though. Maybe the set should include an Oola that can sit on the throne. Maybe a Jawa with a fan. They probably need to put something kind of unique in this because I have a modern Jabba, pipe, bowl, and Salacious Crumb sitting on a vintage dais. It all looks just fine. They probably want to spice it up a bit for folks like me.

DarkJedi5
08-07-2009, 02:24 PM
I know I would buy it. However, think they made a mistake by not putting the new Leia as a pack in with a new Jabba though. Maybe the set should include an Oola that can sit on the throne. Maybe a Jawa with a fan. They probably need to put something kind of unique in this because I have a modern Jabba, pipe, bowl, and Salacious Crumb sitting on a vintage dais. It all looks just fine. They probably want to spice it up a bit for folks like me.

That's a ton and a half of new tooling though. I mean the Jabba himself would be a chore (if done right) and then add just the tooling costs for a dias, pipe and bowl I think it would easily retail for $40 or $50-$60 as an exclusive (remember the Lars Homestead? There was not a whole lot of tooling there and some pretty crappy repacks). The kneeling Oola would require all new tooling (she really cannot reuse any part of the upcoming Leia since the costumes are so different) while a jawa with a fan is a maybe since it's probably pretty easy to tool up a fan and the jawa could be a straight repack. I think they could do a new Jabba and dias, throw in Salacious Crumb from TAC 3PO, the new Slave Leia, and repack a Jedi Luke and sell it as a UBP for $60 and get kids and collectors to bite.

Droid
08-07-2009, 03:02 PM
I'm pretty confident that will come is the Clone Wars Jabba with a different head on the same torso/tail, and a dais using the vintage mold (assuming the mold exists). That is my prediction of what they'll actually put out there.

I'm pretty sure they'll put out a ROTJ Jabba using Clone Wars' Jabba's body whether they put out the dais or not.

I was more describing what they should do.

JediTricks
08-07-2009, 03:34 PM

To be 100% honest, yes, I think I would. But the new Jabba would have to be on the same level as the new Rancor and the new Dewback.Not what you'd pay, but what the majority of collectors would pay. Basically, you just want a question presented to Hasbro that says
"blah blah blah blah blah blah Jabba's Dais! blah blah blah blah, question mark",
and they already know that much. What's the NEW question, the fresh argument?

How about possibly re-phrasing what pbarnard (???) and I posted about Chewie's family under the Fan's Choice thread, to see if they're counted among the "off-limits" Holiday Special figures?

"We've been told in the past by Hasbro that the live-action characters that are unique to the Holiday Special are essentially off-limits to Hasbro. However, all three members of Chewbacca's family have appeared in other media, including The Wookiee Storybook children's book, The Black Fleet Crisis and New Jedi Order adult novels, and the Chewbacca miniseries from Dark Horse. Could this mean that Itchy, Malla, and Lumpy might potentially be considered for potential figures?"

[Or do you hate us and want to give us another frigging Boba Fett instead?]As I said in that thread, I've already asked them about those characters' viability separately, until I hear back there's no reason to waste our resources chasing it.

I'm pretty confident that will come is the Clone Wars Jabba with a different head on the same torso/tail, and a dais using the vintage mold (assuming the mold exists). That is my prediction of what they'll actually put out there.

I'm pretty sure they'll put out a ROTJ Jabba using Clone Wars' Jabba's body whether they put out the dais or not.

I was more describing what they should do.No way Lucasfilm would allow them to do it, not that I suspect they'd want to. The styling is SO different, it'd never translate, and all we'd end up with is an inferior version of Jabba compared to the Saga Ultra figure we already have.

El Chuxter
08-07-2009, 03:45 PM
My bad. I missed that.

bigbarada
08-07-2009, 05:18 PM
Not what you'd pay, but what the majority of collectors would pay. Basically, you just want a question presented to Hasbro that says
"blah blah blah blah blah blah Jabba's Dais! blah blah blah blah, question mark",
and they already know that much. What's the NEW question, the fresh argument?

I thought I had a fresh argument. :cry:

:p

El Chuxter
08-07-2009, 05:20 PM
Okay, really, let's submit "Blah blah blah blah blah blah Jabba's Dais! blah blah blah blah, question mark?"

I'm not joking. I'd like to see their response.

JediTricks
08-07-2009, 05:24 PM
I thought I had a fresh argument. :cry:

:p
A fresh argument that has some basis in feasibility might be helpful too. ;) I'm not saying no to asking them another question about Jabba and/or his dais, but I am trying to challenge you guys to come up with a question that is worth asking and has a better chance of changing their minds. I don't have the answers on this one unfortunately.

Let me ask you, if Hasbro did the dais as an exclusive that came with a reissue of Clone Wars Jabba, would you buy that? I'm thinking $30 or $40, and you don't even get a new ROTJ Jabba, but you get an ROTJ-accurate dais (the one in the animated movie is fairly close IIRC). Having it come from current animation gives it a lot more chance of being made, but I didn't float the idea before because I honestly don't think collectors will go for it.

Okay, really, let's submit "Blah blah blah blah blah blah Jabba's Dais! blah blah blah blah, question mark?"

I'm not joking. I'd like to see their response.If we had had this discussion a month ago, I would have presented that to Derryl at Comic-Con for sure.

In fact, pretty much everything we've discussed since Comic-Con is stuff I would have done Q&A with Derryl at the show, but unfortunately it was the show itself which spurred you guys to come up with a variety of new discussions and questions, and I didn't have internet access at Tycho's so I couldn't read your posts.

Qui-Long Gone
08-07-2009, 05:43 PM
Let me ask you, if Hasbro did the dais as an exclusive that came with a reissue of Clone Wars Jabba, would you buy that? I'm thinking $30 or $40, and you don't even get a new ROTJ Jabba, but you get an ROTJ-accurate dais (the one in the animated movie is fairly close IIRC). Having it come from current animation gives it a lot more chance of being made, but I didn't float the idea before because I honestly don't think collectors will go for it.

I might, the Clone Wars Jabba is actually a fairly good likeness, at least in the eyes....more like $25 though....

Gothiczartan
08-07-2009, 07:52 PM
I see there is a new luke skywalker snowspeeder pilot figure and notice he has on a thermal cap.

Luke was seen hoping in a snowspeeder with dack on aboard and Luke did not have a thermal cap on. during the dagobah scene he took his helmet off and he was shown without a thermal cap.

would it be possible for a luke figure with a head variant the one without a cap and with a cap maybe in the future?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-08-2009, 12:37 AM
The Jabba set is still hanging around in some stores - not terribly so, but it's still something of a slow mover compared to its case mate, Scramble on Yavin. So, I doubt they'd go for a reissue of that one, and I doubt fans would, either. I wouldn't want to put in their heads the idea of a reissue of that Jabba, since while it's pretty great, I only really need one and would rather have a new ROTJ one. I suppose a "fresh" take on this could be to factor in how well the animated Jabba sold and whether or not that's had an impact on the possibility of a ROTJ Jabba.

Cane_Adiss
08-08-2009, 09:29 AM
4, 5, 8, 16 for now.

How bout this for a question?

In the event Hasbro decides to release a new ROTJ Jabba and his dias, what format/ pricepoint are we to expect considering the entire set would probably be all new tooling? Might you include a newly sculpted Salacious crumb in his seated position on the pillow as well? Would the set incorporate the already tooled railing, food bowl and hookah or would they not be included since many collectors already have those accessories? Basically could you tell us what accessories and features such a set would have and tell us how much we'd likely have to pay for it?

Darth Metalmute
08-08-2009, 09:59 AM
A fresh argument that has some basis in feasibility might be helpful too. ;) I'm not saying no to asking them another question about Jabba and/or his dais, but I am trying to challenge you guys to come up with a question that is worth asking and has a better chance of changing their minds. I don't have the answers on this one unfortunately.

We could come at it at a different angle. Instead of directly asking Hasbro point blank, "Hey, wheres our dias?", we could ask something like;

The new Slave Leia figure looks great. What was the desicion process/reasoning in adding a second, reclining set of legs to this figure?

It's simplistic I know, and I figure Hasbro will be simplistic as well in answering it, but who knows, maybe they smile, and reveal a secret.

GeonosisJedi
08-08-2009, 10:18 AM
I like questions 14, 9 and 2

I would like to know more bout Hasbro's reasoning in the card design process...especially for putting a ROTJ Palpatine pic for the Ep. 1 Darth Sidious...

---------------

JOCASTA NU
for FANS CHOICE FIGURE

El Chuxter
08-08-2009, 01:03 PM
Continuing from the last thread:

"Collectors would like to see a lot of figures who, realistically speaking, wouldn't be great sellers through normal retail outlets. Given that many such characters will otherwise never see the light of day, how about regularly-scheduled multipacks available only online (similar to the Lucas Family set from Revenge of the Sith), focusing on various themes? Some possibilities for themes could include Queens of Naboo (Amidala, Jamilla, and Appailana), Jedi Masters (focusing on obscure characters or likely poor sellers, like Jocasta Nu or Ikrit), Mos Eisley Denizens (including Rycar Ryjerd and other options that are relatively "normal" looking), Classic Comics (Jaxxon and many other goofy Marvel-era characters), or the Ewok movies."
Your argument is that these figures wouldn't sell well so putting even more new tooling together under the same budget will somehow make sense? I can't ask this, it's way too much new tooling, they will shut it down on those grounds first and foremost long before they also point out that those multipacks sell fairly poorly compared to the mainline and can't justify lots of boxed sets on top of each other even before the new tooling (Lucas family is obviously a special thing, and even there they recycled Jett). It's just too much a fan wishlist thing, no thought to the reality of producing it, you may as well be asking for free gold with every purchase.

What if something like this were done, say, once per year, and averaged $10 per figure? It could be the only way collectors would ever get some figures. Or maybe there could be one shared online exclusive wave of characters who wouldn't do well at retail per year, with some freaking amazing BAD (or non-droid BAF) who is only constructed that way?

Like, maybe, Jocasta Nu, Jaxxon, Lumpy, Apailana, Endor Rebel in Scout Trooper Disguise, and Diva Shaliqua, and the parts form a different Yuuzhan Vong warrior from the one soon to be released? Just tossing out a possibility. Fact is, there are a lot of characters who would never do well at retail, but adult collectors won't be happy until they're made. I'm trying to come up with some feasible way of producing them.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-08-2009, 01:24 PM
Like, maybe, Jocasta Nu, Jaxxon, Lumpy, Apailana, Endor Rebel in Scout Trooper Disguise, and Diva Shaliqua, and the parts form a different Yuuzhan Vong warrior from the one soon to be released? Just tossing out a possibility. Fact is, there are a lot of characters who would never do well at retail, but adult collectors won't be happy until they're made. I'm trying to come up with some feasible way of producing them.
They already made a Rebel Trooper in Biker Scout disguise; he came out last year in the Shield Generator Assault battle pack, which is currently re-shipping.

El Chuxter
08-08-2009, 01:58 PM
Yeah, I stuck him in as an example of how they could use re-releases of figures who were previously available only in multipacks that didn't appeal enough for one figure, since they like to toss in re-releases (and doing something like this with a re-re-re-re-re-re-re-released Vader defeats the purpose). I wasn't clear on that at all, re-reading it.

How about:
"There are a large number of characters that some fans rabidly want, but would likely be poor sellers through normal retail channels for various reasons (including, among others, "old lady" figures or characters from the old Ewoks cartoons and movies). Many of these would be nearly impossible for a collector of average ability to customize from existing figures. Is there a possibility such characters could be released in online exclusive waves of build-a-droid figures and/or comic packs geared toward the adult collector, with a slightly higher-than-normal price to compensate for a lower production run? Otherwise, fans of characters like Jaxxon, Jocasta Nu, Teek, the Naboo Holy Man, etc, will never be able to get their favorite 'odd' characters."

JediTricks
08-08-2009, 03:24 PM
Questions 17 - 19 added.

*The first several Clone Wars figures seemed to be hybrids of the characters' appearance on the show and in the live-action films, particularly Obi-Wan and Anakin. Now we're seeing figures that are much more accurate to the TV show, such as Obi-Wan in the spacesuit, who has a much more angular face and skinny body than the Jedi robes figure. What was the thought process behind this change? Were you intentionally trying to move away from the hybrid style, now that the line has found its audience? Will we be seeing updates to some of the first few figures, or will they just continue to be re-shipped?I would like to see a comparison of wave 1 Anakin and Space helmet Anakin before I go forward with this, but I am leaning towards adding it. I'll compare the 2 Obi-Wans myself since I own them both.Ok, I just compared my 2 Obi-Wan figures, I do see what you're saying. I looked at a pic of the new Anakin figure, it seems to be a new basic Anakin with space suit helmet and backpack (probably the same as Obi-Wan's, so removable), thus right there you have 1 of the updates you're asking about. I'm adding the question, but I have a feeling you'll want to go over the edits I made and re-balance the question again.

I might, the Clone Wars Jabba is actually a fairly good likeness, at least in the eyes....more like $25 though....Not likely to happen with new tooling and the amount of product in there for that price, unfortunately. The real pain there is that it'd be more tooling to do a Starfighter vehicle at that price, but the box is bigger so it sells easier. Vehicles probably have easier tooling due to flat surfaces though, but the reality is still the same, we get shafted because Jabba the Hutt doesn't fly through space shooting proton torpedoes on his dais.

I see there is a new luke skywalker snowspeeder pilot figure and notice he has on a thermal cap.

Luke was seen hoping in a snowspeeder with dack on aboard and Luke did not have a thermal cap on. during the dagobah scene he took his helmet off and he was shown without a thermal cap.

would it be possible for a luke figure with a head variant the one without a cap and with a cap maybe in the future?We could probably swap out our own Luke heads onto the figure, but I will add this one.

The Jabba set is still hanging around in some stores - not terribly so, but it's still something of a slow mover compared to its case mate, Scramble on Yavin. So, I doubt they'd go for a reissue of that one, and I doubt fans would, either. I wouldn't want to put in their heads the idea of a reissue of that Jabba, since while it's pretty great, I only really need one and would rather have a new ROTJ one. I suppose a "fresh" take on this could be to factor in how well the animated Jabba sold and whether or not that's had an impact on the possibility of a ROTJ Jabba.You make a good point, that set is not a hot seller already, adding another ten bucks and removing a figure isn't going to help it any. The problem is that ROTJ Jabba will need new tooling, and the dais will need new tooling, so it's ridiculously expensive which makes it unlikely to get done.

Animated Jabba not selling isn't going to reflect well upon ROTJ Jabba, but animation Jabba is only in 1 episode so far and that's only the movie. Thanks for saving me from writing that into a question, your point is well-received. We need a better argument.

How bout this for a question?

In the event Hasbro decides to release a new ROTJ Jabba and his dias, what format/ pricepoint are we to expect considering the entire set would probably be all new tooling? Might you include a newly sculpted Salacious crumb in his seated position on the pillow as well? Would the set incorporate the already tooled railing, food bowl and hookah or would they not be included since many collectors already have those accessories? Basically could you tell us what accessories and features such a set would have and tell us how much we'd likely have to pay for it?That starts so presumptuous that we'd get smacked down. And then trying to get even MORE new tooling with Salacious sitting is like throwing a gold bar on the fire of not-gonna-happen.

I was thinking the same thing about saving costs on the tooling/hookah though, although leaving it off the dais entirely is not something I want to suggest.

I need to think about the idea of asking it as a hypothetical some more, there is room to be more blunt but if not done right it'll just flop on its face.

Ok, the hypothetical has spurred me enough to throw it out that way, I've rebuilt the question to what I think will get us the best results. I added a few little touches to give the team something to laugh about as well, hopefully that'll grease the wheels on getting a fun and full answer.

I've counted your vote Cane, but not yet anybody else's because it's a different take, and I am not sure they'd want to vote for it that way.

We could come at it at a different angle. Instead of directly asking Hasbro point blank, "Hey, wheres our dias?", we could ask something like;

The new Slave Leia figure looks great. What was the desicion process/reasoning in adding a second, reclining set of legs to this figure?

It's simplistic I know, and I figure Hasbro will be simplistic as well in answering it, but who knows, maybe they smile, and reveal a secret.That was addressed at the panel (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=58&p2_articleid=2293) though. "The cool thing about her is you can remove the upper body and included a second lower body so if you want to pose her sitting on a possible future dais should they do one down the road, it would nicely compliment that."

Continuing from the last thread:

What if something like this were done, say, once per year, and averaged $10 per figure? It could be the only way collectors would ever get some figures. Or maybe there could be one shared online exclusive wave of characters who wouldn't do well at retail per year, with some freaking amazing BAD (or non-droid BAF) who is only constructed that way?

Like, maybe, Jocasta Nu, Jaxxon, Lumpy, Apailana, Endor Rebel in Scout Trooper Disguise, and Diva Shaliqua, and the parts form a different Yuuzhan Vong warrior from the one soon to be released? Just tossing out a possibility. Fact is, there are a lot of characters who would never do well at retail, but adult collectors won't be happy until they're made. I'm trying to come up with some feasible way of producing them.Anyway, what you're asking for still isn't feasible at these prices, the idea of a whole wave of new tooling is like asking them to throw money away, that's just not realistic at all no matter the method of releasing them. Throwing B.A.D. parts at it will certainly anger a majority of fans as well since almost nobody wants those figures the parts will come with.

As for doing 1 goofy-*** figure per year as an exclusive high-pricepoint figure, are you really expecting the majority of the collecting community to shell out $13 or even $20 for Jocasta Nu or Jaxxon or someone like that? Be realistic here, don't waste my time, think about it before you answer. No retailer is going to want them either, so they'll end up even more expensive, probably a shared-online exclusive (Hasbro knows they'd get stuck with unselling junk here so they wouldn't take them as an HTS exclusive, they already do that for Comic-Con). It's just so unlikely, especially right now when they got burned hard by this sort of thing and the entire basic line is reeling from it. It's too much of a pipe dream.

Yeah, I stuck him in as an example of how they could use re-releases of figures who were previously available only in multipacks that didn't appeal enough for one figure, since they like to toss in re-releases (and doing something like this with a re-re-re-re-re-re-re-released Vader defeats the purpose). I wasn't clear on that at all, re-reading it.I don't want to throw re-releases out there, that's Hasbro's job to figure out what'll work.

How about:
"There are a large number of characters that some fans rabidly want, but would likely be poor sellers through normal retail channels for various reasons (including, among others, "old lady" figures or characters from the old Ewoks cartoons and movies). Many of these would be nearly impossible for a collector of average ability to customize from existing figures. Is there a possibility such characters could be released in online exclusive waves of build-a-droid figures and/or comic packs geared toward the adult collector, with a slightly higher-than-normal price to compensate for a lower production run? Otherwise, fans of characters like Jaxxon, Jocasta Nu, Teek, the Naboo Holy Man, etc, will never be able to get their favorite 'odd' characters."This argument brings nothing to the table but a handful of fans' hopes and dreams. "Slightly higher than normal"? The sell-through on these would be a tiny fraction of a basic figure or even a standard exclusive, so to make up that money for all the new tooling you'd be looking at probably quadrupling the pricepoint. No retailer is going to want them at any price, but especially not at the price you're asking about. It's just not realistic at all. You have no strong fanbase for those characters either, hell, even the fake fans of Willrow Hood numbered in the thousands, and it's not like Hasbro wanted to make that figure. Look at the Yarna support that ended in epic failure at market.

Jocasta Nu would be a pretty easy figure to customize, take Sabe's body, a little sanding, put Dooku's head and hands on it, then repaint it:
http://www.rebelscum.com/POTJsabe.asp
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:Jocasta.jpg

Naboo Holy Man could probably be done using a prequel Palpatine figure and the head of one of the Imperial Dignitaries. It's not a complex custom really, not like Teek or Jaxxon would be.

El Chuxter
08-08-2009, 05:22 PM
I'm just throwing out ideas to get some less likely figures, who wouldn't sell at retail, made instead of an endless sea of Vader repaints, and I'm starting to take your constant rejection personally. :p

And, yes, if they charged $15 for Jaxxon on hasbrotoyshop.com, I'd buy it, knowing that was the only way it would be released.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-08-2009, 11:56 PM
Ok, I just compared my 2 Obi-Wan figures, I do see what you're saying. I looked at a pic of the new Anakin figure, it seems to be a new basic Anakin with space suit helmet and backpack (probably the same as Obi-Wan's, so removable), thus right there you have 1 of the updates you're asking about. I'm adding the question, but I have a feeling you'll want to go over the edits I made and re-balance the question again.
It's good as you wrote it, as it addresses everything I wanted it to, so it's fine.

JediTricks
08-09-2009, 03:38 AM
I'm just throwing out ideas to get some less likely figures, who wouldn't sell at retail, made instead of an endless sea of Vader repaints, and I'm starting to take your constant rejection personally. :pI know you just want your weirdy figures, I do, but we're not going to get them made with conventional ideas, they don't want to make these guys because they won't sell, there's not enough support. So it needs to be a grand slam of a question to get it past the standard hurdles, otherwise it's just wasting time on a "maybe in the distant future who knows it's really a no because these figures are super obscure or lame or both but we can't say it that way" answer.

And, yes, if they charged $15 for Jaxxon on hasbrotoyshop.com, I'd buy it, knowing that was the only way it would be released.Do you really think 5000 other people would?

El Chuxter
08-09-2009, 06:15 PM
Okay, how about this totally unrelated question. It's similar to one that was sort of non-answered a while back, but more specific, so maybe it'll get better results or at least get them thinking about things. I've left the numbers out because I can't find a good database, but will update them if no one else jumps at the chance.

"Although we understand that figure choices are based on consumer demand and the preferences of Hasbro and Lucasfilm employees, there seems to be a real disparity when it comes to prequel Jedi. A few have been issued multiple times, others of seemingly equal importance never or only once. For instance, Agen Kolar has been released [#] of times, and all he did was sit in a chair and die. He also looks exactly like Eeth Koth, who was released twice. Same situation with Stass Allie (# releases), who's exactly like Adi Gallia (# releases), and who also did nothing more than die onscreen. And, though we understand Dave Filioni loves the guy, [#] Plo Koons seems to be overkill. On the other hand, Barriss Offee stars in the AOTC tie-in novel and two novels of her own (almost unheard of for non-core characters), and has been prominently featured in the original Clone Wars and the comics. Yet the only figure of her is from 2002, is pre-posed in an awkward pose, and is lacking by 2009 standards. Or Bultar Swan, who was released twice in 2008, but never as a carded figure. Why is it that a small handful of background Jedi get so much love, but others, like Barriss and Bultar, seem to get the shaft?"

JediTricks
08-09-2009, 06:18 PM
Please do the research and find out how many times they've been released, put those numbers in. Also, we need to bulletproof the question a little against the fact that "kids love alien Jedi!" answers that we've already seen a few times (somewhat inherent in the actual crux of the question, but perhaps bolstered earlier). I do want to ask your question tho'.

Qui-Long Gone
08-09-2009, 06:19 PM
^That is a really good question!

JediTricks
08-09-2009, 06:26 PM
^That is a really good question!
I agree, I'm just so worn out on editing and rewriting all the questions lately. But my standards are still high so more work for y'all. :p

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-09-2009, 07:12 PM
There's also the fact that they keep updating the articulation, since they say that kids love these characters and collectors love the articulation. The question does some work to go against that, but you might want to bulletproof it some more.

On to the numbers:
*Agen Kolar - 3 (2003 Jedi Council scene - actually just an Eeth Koth repack, 2005 ROTS - rereleased in a set, 2009 TLC)
*Stass Allie - 3 (2004 Jedi Council scene - just a darker Adi Gallia repaint, 2005 on speeder bike, 2008 TLC)
*Adi Gallia - 2 (1999 TPM, 2004 Jedi Council scene)
*Plo Koon - 6 (2000 POTJ, 2002 Saga - rereleased in a set, 2003 Jedi Council scene, 2005 ROTS - repainted for 2008 Droid Factory set and Saga Legends, 2005 Holographic, 2008 Clone Wars, 2009 TLC)

Plo Koon has gotten a ton of love, but the others don't seem too over the top to me. Three Stass Allies are good for the three things she does: sit on the council, ride a speeder bike (albeit a different one from the Hasbro one), and fight in the arena. Same for Agen Kolar: sit on the council, fight in the arena, and go to Palpatine's office. They might go against that angle as well, saying that these figures are warranted for diorama builders (like me) and that updates keep these popular characters modern. Bultar Swan and Barriss Offee just aren't quite on the same level of film-only recognition as these characters, though I do want a new Barriss Offee.

It could be good to mention that Luminara Unduli has gotten three unique sculpts and four releases - 2002 Saga, 2005 ROTS (with the 2008 Order 66 repaint), and 2009 TCW. Sure, she appeared in ROTS very briefly, and the TCW figure is warranted given that she was one of the main characters in an episode. But the two characters are always linked, in my mind, anyway. Come to think of it, it would be good to include Saesee Tiin (6), Kit Fisto (4-5), Aayla Secura (4), and maybe even Coleman Trebor (2).

EDIT: RS's Q&A had this one:

Rebelscum: A new Barriss Offee...how about it?

Hasbro: We agree she is long overdue in the Legacy lineup. Within the next couple of years there is an outstanding chance of seeing her either in basic figures or an exclusive.
So, maybe the question is unnecessary, but maybe not.

Droid
08-11-2009, 11:16 AM
You probably want to scratch the question about Jabba's dais. Several sites asked about it in the last round and Hasbro said they hope to do a new Jabba in 2010 and whether or not there is a dais will depend on costs.

You could modify it to ask whether the Kenner dais mold still exists and whether they would likely reuse the mold or do a new sculpt. You could leave the part about the tooling already done for the arm rest, pipe, etc. But I assume you'll scratch the question as they probably revealed what they were willing to when already answering questions about the dais.

JediTricks
08-11-2009, 10:14 PM
Question 19 modified.

Anybody want to vote now? We have almost no votes and we're 50 posts in, with just over a week until the deadline.

There's also the fact that they keep updating the articulation, since they say that kids love these characters and collectors love the articulation. The question does some work to go against that, but you might want to bulletproof it some more.

On to the numbers:
*Agen Kolar - 3 (2003 Jedi Council scene - actually just an Eeth Koth repack, 2005 ROTS - rereleased in a set, 2009 TLC)
*Stass Allie - 3 (2004 Jedi Council scene - just a darker Adi Gallia repaint, 2005 on speeder bike, 2008 TLC)
*Adi Gallia - 2 (1999 TPM, 2004 Jedi Council scene)
*Plo Koon - 6 (2000 POTJ, 2002 Saga - rereleased in a set, 2003 Jedi Council scene, 2005 ROTS - repainted for 2008 Droid Factory set and Saga Legends, 2005 Holographic, 2008 Clone Wars, 2009 TLC)

Plo Koon has gotten a ton of love, but the others don't seem too over the top to me. Three Stass Allies are good for the three things she does: sit on the council, ride a speeder bike (albeit a different one from the Hasbro one), and fight in the arena. Same for Agen Kolar: sit on the council, fight in the arena, and go to Palpatine's office. They might go against that angle as well, saying that these figures are warranted for diorama builders (like me) and that updates keep these popular characters modern. Bultar Swan and Barriss Offee just aren't quite on the same level of film-only recognition as these characters, though I do want a new Barriss Offee.

It could be good to mention that Luminara Unduli has gotten three unique sculpts and four releases - 2002 Saga, 2005 ROTS (with the 2008 Order 66 repaint), and 2009 TCW. Sure, she appeared in ROTS very briefly, and the TCW figure is warranted given that she was one of the main characters in an episode. But the two characters are always linked, in my mind, anyway. Come to think of it, it would be good to include Saesee Tiin (6), Kit Fisto (4-5), Aayla Secura (4), and maybe even Coleman Trebor (2).

EDIT: RS's Q&A had this one:

So, maybe the question is unnecessary, but maybe not.Thanks for the numbers.

Yeah, that answer undermines the hell out of the question, and Bultar Swan I really didn't consider as such a weak backup since there are 2 of her. We need the end of this question rewritten hard.

You probably want to scratch the question about Jabba's dais. Several sites asked about it in the last round and Hasbro said they hope to do a new Jabba in 2010 and whether or not there is a dais will depend on costs.I had the same thought at first, but the hypotheticals in ours make it still work so far.

You could modify it to ask whether the Kenner dais mold still exists and whether they would like reuse the mold or do a new sculpt. You could leave the part about the tooling already done for the arm rest, pipe, etc. But I assume you'll scratch the question as they probably revealed what they were willing to when already answering questions about the dais.I'll revamp the question.

Droid
08-11-2009, 10:28 PM
Oh, I vote for #19, the dais question by the way.

JediTricks
08-11-2009, 10:47 PM
Question 9 modified. Boba Fett Evo is coming out finally on basic card.

Darth Metalmute
08-12-2009, 08:33 AM
And, yes, if they charged $15 for Jaxxon on hasbrotoyshop.com, I'd buy it, knowing that was the only way it would be released.

Do you really think 5000 other people would?

I believe that they could sell 5000 Jaxxons through their website. I think Hasbro is missing the boat on hasbrotoyshop.com. This is the avenue for figures such as Jaxxon, Anakin Solo, and Yarna. They should be releasing EU exclusives through their website so they can closely monitor purchasing and production. Think of the potential. They could make a battle pack that would completely be composed of 5 never-before-released Cantina figures or one of 5 never-before-released Jabbas Palace figures and they could charge 40 dollars for it and I think it would be profitable.

vger
08-12-2009, 08:44 PM
I vote for #1 and a new question:

Any plans to release The Clone Wars C-3PO in the "Droids" cartoon colors? It would make a neat collectible for fans of the old animated SW shows, but also would look fine as another protocol droid with a unique color scheme.

sebillba
08-13-2009, 09:41 AM
Just 16 & 18 for me so far. Thanks!

Blue2th
08-13-2009, 10:12 AM
So JT, did Hasbro ever answer your question (at SDCC) about the possibility of Micro Series characters being included in the poll, or any scraps as to the possibility of more figures in Legacy style?

Or is this a dead issue with the preoccupation of such and such and Jocasta Nu (No) and such? :cross-eye

Votes:

JediTricks
08-14-2009, 03:34 AM
Questions 20 - 21 added.

I believe that they could sell 5000 Jaxxons through their website. I think Hasbro is missing the boat on hasbrotoyshop.com. This is the avenue for figures such as Jaxxon, Anakin Solo, and Yarna. They should be releasing EU exclusives through their website so they can closely monitor purchasing and production. Think of the potential. They could make a battle pack that would completely be composed of 5 never-before-released Cantina figures or one of 5 never-before-released Jabbas Palace figures and they could charge 40 dollars for it and I think it would be profitable.
They did direct sales with Star Wars before, it was not beneficial to them, they were left with unsold product, there aren't as many rabid collectors as we would like to think. The only way this line works right now is through the new style of brand management where budgeting waves in advance ensures profitability which ensures the continuation of the line. Having unknown production levels means they could be very low or very slow, which means the money isn't made back on the exclusive. The retail partner normally would be the one to take that risk, but on HTS it's all Hasbro's risk and virtually no reward, so it doesn't make business sense. It's just not realistic. And consider, the lower the production line, the higher the price, but the higher the price, the less likely the sales, which is a downward spiral to failure. Are you and Chux going to spend $200 for that Jaxxon if the pre-orders and production levels are a tenth what you predict?

Any plans to release The Clone Wars C-3PO in the "Droids" cartoon colors? It would make a neat collectible for fans of the old animated SW shows, but also would look fine as another protocol droid with a unique color scheme.I could swear this has been asked before, but it's such a hard one to search that I'll add it again. The Droids cartoon 3PO looks way different from the CW one, but you do own that fact in the question so it's a good one. I'll count your vote, of course.

So JT, did Hasbro ever answer your question (at SDCC) about the possibility of Micro Series characters being included in the poll, or any scraps as to the possibility of more figures in Legacy style?

Or is this a dead issue with the preoccupation of such and such and Jocasta Nu (No) and such? :cross-eyeUnfortunately, I still haven't heard back from them on the issue. It's not a dead issue, but I can't FORCE them to answer my requests for clarification (I had several).

Blue2th
08-14-2009, 08:46 AM
[SIZE=4]

Unfortunately, I still haven't heard back from them on the issue. It's not a dead issue, but I can't FORCE them to answer my requests for clarification (I had several).

I appreciate that, Thanks.

Well I / we can craft another question later as you said.

I was thinking about mentioning or re-crafting anyways how they kit-bashed a few Micro Series characters in the past like Roron Corobb and Foul Moudama from earlier Star Wars sculpts, that they could do the same with a Gamorrean Guard into Borga, and the Malakali Rancor Keeper into Flalios. Both from the Cauldron Arena battle, without too much expense, and also mention that the ARC Pilot and Coruscant Fordo would be simple repaints of existing Clones, just in case they are worried about the expense and risk of sculpting new figures.

Or that might be another question altogether.

Darth Metalmute
08-14-2009, 08:57 AM
They did direct sales with Star Wars before, it was not beneficial to them, they were left with unsold product, there aren't as many rabid collectors as we would like to think. The only way this line works right now is through the new style of brand management where budgeting waves in advance ensures profitability which ensures the continuation of the line. Having unknown production levels means they could be very low or very slow, which means the money isn't made back on the exclusive. The retail partner normally would be the one to take that risk, but on HTS it's all Hasbro's risk and virtually no reward, so it doesn't make business sense. It's just not realistic. And consider, the lower the production line, the higher the price, but the higher the price, the less likely the sales, which is a downward spiral to failure. Are you and Chux going to spend $200 for that Jaxxon if the pre-orders and production levels are a tenth what you predict?

I see your point, although a pre-order with the right to pull product based on order size would fix that. But realistically, that I imagine that would take a lot of work just to may a few thousand people happy whereas the time spent to organize that would be best spent elsewhere.

sebillba
08-14-2009, 09:24 AM
Just 16 & 18 for me so far. Thanks!

And #21 please JT.

JediTricks
08-14-2009, 03:16 PM
Well I / we can craft another question later as you said.

I was thinking about mentioning or re-crafting anyways how they kit-bashed a few Micro Series characters in the past like Roron Corobb and Foul Moudama from earlier Star Wars sculpts, that they could do the same with a Gamorrean Guard into Borga, and the Malakali Rancor Keeper into Flalios. Both from the Cauldron Arena battle, without too much expense, and also mention that the ARC Pilot and Coruscant Fordo would be simple repaints of existing Clones, just in case they are worried about the expense and risk of sculpting new figures.

Or that might be another question altogether.Hmm, I think we have to pass on the question. Look at this May 1st answer:

JediInsider.com: Question from JI reader Alpha 77: What I'd be hoping to see appear as a Clone Wars or Saga Legends figure would be ARC Captain Fordo, since the new packaging for the figures is dedicated to Fordo, I would believe that there would be a figure for him as well. Is there a possibility of this?
Hasbro: There is no Fordo planned right now, but there's a strong likelihood that we'll get to him someday. Lucasfilm has asked that we not pursue any more of the Clone Wars micro series figures, but given there are a couple important ones still to go, we think we'll be able to get them into the lineup in the future.
I think "important ones" is the key, and look at this Nov 7 '08 answer:

JediDefender.com: Your Legacy Wave 2, all figure from the 2-D Clone Wars cartoon, was outstanding. You wrapped up a lot of the main wants people had from the original CW cartoons in one fell swoop! The question is now, which characters/figures would Hasbro most like to crank out from the original cartoon? Fans at JediDefender certainly liked a lot of the "arena combat" characters from one episode.
Hasbro: There are still one or two figures (such as Fordo in Type II armor that with Lucasfilm's permission we could possibly do, but for all intents and purposes we are done exploring the original Clone Wars micro-series. Given their very minor screen time, it is highly unlikely we'll ever do any characters from the Asaaj/arena scene, as cool as it was.
So I guess it's been covered both ways, both "no".

I see your point, although a pre-order with the right to pull product based on order size would fix that. But realistically, that I imagine that would take a lot of work just to may a few thousand people happy whereas the time spent to organize that would be best spent elsewhere.I really appreciate your understanding. It may also be a contract issue with LFL, I know their last licensing agreement didn't have a provision for direct sales of exclusive items and it caused a big problem when they finally got it done. Also, it'd be a PR nightmare if there weren't enough sales and all the hopeful fans of these figures got skunked after their hopes were driven up.

El Chuxter
08-14-2009, 03:21 PM
I'm not trying to be difficult. I'm just trying to come up with some way to get some of these weird characters without sinking the line.

JediTricks
08-14-2009, 03:56 PM
I'm not trying to be difficult. I'm just trying to come up with some way to get some of these weird characters without sinking the line.
In general, you are trying to be difficult, but I get what you're saying. ;) I don't expect or want you guys to stop asking, I just need to challenge you guys to come up with more because otherwise Hasbro's still gonna say "no" again, with the reasons given. They already know we have readers who want those fringe figures, so we either need to present a new argument or wait until the timing is better.

El Chuxter
08-14-2009, 04:03 PM
Maybe we can offer the following:

"If we buy each of you beer, will you make us a 'fringe' character for each beer you consume?"

JediTricks
08-14-2009, 04:04 PM
Tycho already tried it. ;)

El Chuxter
08-14-2009, 04:13 PM
And it didn't work?

What sort of beer were you using, T? Maybe we should try a different variety. ;)

DarkJedi5
08-14-2009, 04:24 PM
JT, what's the deal with the Funeral Pyre Vader? Hasbro wanted our feedback but in what format? Would it be weird to ask for details (like hi-res photos and info) in a Q&A before we vote yea or nay? It seems like a waste of a Q&A spot but I think we need to know more before we can tell them what we think.

JediTricks
08-14-2009, 04:47 PM
JT, what's the deal with the Funeral Pyre Vader? Hasbro wanted our feedback but in what format? Would it be weird to ask for details (like hi-res photos and info) in a Q&A before we vote yea or nay? It seems like a waste of a Q&A spot but I think we need to know more before we can tell them what we think.
What's the deal? It's a prototype, they wanted to do it as an exclusive but that didn't work out, so now they want fans' input on the set before they try to take it to market again. It's a separate Vader figure in the pyre, and the new Luke Jedi holding the torch. Push the torch in and it activates the flickering LED lights and burning sounds for about 7 seconds before fading out. I talked to Hasbro, they were thinking the price on it would be around $30. That's what we know so far.
As for photos, I think what the fan sites shot at SDCC is it for now, like these:
http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=30747
http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=32366
http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=32367

I'm not sure what other details you'd be looking for. Steve and a few other folks told Hasbro they felt it'd work better as a set if it had the music from the scene, Hasbro said they'd consider it but it might add to the pricetag due to the difficulty of licensing the music from LFL for these sorts of things.

El Chuxter
08-14-2009, 04:52 PM
Hasbro said they'd consider it but it might add to the pricetag due to the difficulty of licensing the music from LFL for these sorts of things.

I don't see why that'd be a problem. The Power FX X-Wing has half a note of music, and I bet they didn't pay for it. Therefore, each half-note costs $0.00, so a whole note is 2x $0.00, and any combination of half notes is $0.00. :crazed:

JediTricks
08-14-2009, 05:23 PM
I don't see why that'd be a problem. The Power FX X-Wing has half a note of music, and I bet they didn't pay for it. Therefore, each half-note costs $0.00, so a whole note is 2x $0.00, and any combination of half notes is $0.00. :crazed:

I'm not trying to be difficult. Yeah, sure, sell me that line twice.

El Chuxter
08-14-2009, 05:31 PM
There's a difference between difficult and intentionally smart-alecky.

RENDAR LIVES
08-14-2009, 05:48 PM
10, 11, 12, 17 and...

Write ins...

Hasbro once released playsets in a smaller scale that could combine like the theed generator and palace or the deathstar chasm and endor bunker. With Hasbro feeling the 20 dollar price point on vehicles being a safe bet couldn't they do this for playsets as well? Like Palpatines throne room, trash compactor, detention cell and so on. All could be made to connect or stack if a collector wanted to purchase more than one.

I voted on Corran Horn in the poll but and even stated how easy it would be to make a jedi version. I'd like to state that I very much appreciate Hasbro releasing him with Whistler and even mentioning the novel on the box. My question is what would be so hard for hasbro to sculpt a new head and putting it on a different body (wich they do often)? Based on the Essential Guide to characters, Corrans jedi robes mirror Ki-Adi Mundis. So a repaint with a new head should be easy, cost effective and make many fans happy.

JediTricks
08-14-2009, 06:03 PM
There's a difference between difficult and intentionally smart-alecky.
No, there really isn't. :p

Rendar, we asked them about modular playsets a while back, they said there was no market right now for playsets and the costs of tooling would make it prohibitive to even try. In hindsight, the sets you mentioned all failed MISERABLY at market, with all of them, every single one, going to clearance.

A new head on which body though? And is there a Ki-Adi-Mundi figure with regular robes and a ball-jointed neck to work with that?

El Chuxter
08-14-2009, 06:06 PM
There is the issue of those weird hand-armor thingies Ki-Adi wears, but Corran doesn't. Could possibly be fixed with an arm swap with another figure, though.

RENDAR LIVES
08-14-2009, 06:06 PM

I have no idea who Jaxxon is but I know they sell through very specific characters very quickly on that site. I like the hunt but sometimes it would be nice to order things and know they are guaranteed in stock. I think this is exactly the way to go. They could gauge the sales of these figures and find a lot of consumer data without hiring someone else to do it. Many retailers are poor at cycling their stock, some even refusing to put out new stock until the old stuff is sold. Not to mention the employees go through many boxes before they hit the floor to take a profit on the second market. Besides that, all it would take is a phone call to China to halt production on a figure if they weren't getting the volume of orders expected.

RENDAR LIVES
08-14-2009, 06:12 PM
I figured the ROTS release would be the most poseable.

Hmmm...That might be an oversight on my part but I thought it was the same. I think Wizards of the Coast did a Corran that was pretty much the same as Ki-Adi. I don't know. It's close enough for me. Just give him a green robe and gray saber. I beleive the Official Chronology has a few pics of Corran too but it goes against almost every other visual reference I have seen.

RENDAR LIVES
08-14-2009, 06:32 PM
The arm thing looks like Ki-Adi Mundis to me but the boots seem more like Obi-Wans from TPM & AOTC. Ki-Adi Mundi also seems to have a higher collar. I guess it's doable but unlikely Hasbro would retool it.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:CorranHorn-NEGTC.jpg
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:Iii.JPG
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:Corran_Horn_EA.JPG
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:Corrancrop.jpg

El Chuxter
08-14-2009, 07:09 PM
I never noticed the quasi-gauntlets on Corran before. Then again, no two pics of Corran look like the same guy. ;)

RENDAR LIVES
08-14-2009, 07:13 PM
True.

I thought of another question as well. Since the Force FX lightsabers aren't really a mass market retail thing. Why aren't we able to order say a particular hilt and get to choose the blade color? It just seems so limiting how they trickle out only a few at a time. I like green and the Yoda one is smaller than normal isn't it?

Blue2th
08-14-2009, 09:58 PM
Hmm, I think we have to pass on the question. Look at this May 1st answer:

JediInsider.com: Question from JI reader Alpha 77: What I'd be hoping to see appear as a Clone Wars or Saga Legends figure would be ARC Captain Fordo, since the new packaging for the figures is dedicated to Fordo, I would believe that there would be a figure for him as well. Is there a possibility of this?
Hasbro: There is no Fordo planned right now, but there's a strong likelihood that we'll get to him someday. Lucasfilm has asked that we not pursue any more of the Clone Wars micro series figures, but given there are a couple important ones still to go, we think we'll be able to get them into the lineup in the future.
I think "important ones" is the key, and look at this Nov 7 '08 answer:

JediDefender.com: Your Legacy Wave 2, all figure from the 2-D Clone Wars cartoon, was outstanding. You wrapped up a lot of the main wants people had from the original CW cartoons in one fell swoop! The question is now, which characters/figures would Hasbro most like to crank out from the original cartoon? Fans at JediDefender certainly liked a lot of the "arena combat" characters from one episode.
Hasbro: There are still one or two figures (such as Fordo in Type II armor that with Lucasfilm's permission we could possibly do, but for all intents and purposes we are done exploring the original Clone Wars micro-series. Given their very minor screen time, it is highly unlikely we'll ever do any characters from the Asaaj/arena scene, as cool as it was.
So I guess it's been covered both ways, both "no".

Yeah I've read these. They contradict themselves. Saying LFL asked them not to do anymore, yet they are going to get to a few important ones.
What are "important" ones? Another contradiction, if you want to call The Ice Cream Maker Guy an important one in the OT? We're voting on the most obscure characters ever in the Poll.

As far as screen time for the Cauldron figures, another contradiction with Hasbro's actions. There are plenty of characters without important roles, one brief shot of their faces (uh he's in the far corner to the right talking to another obscure character they'll make) no action scene, that they are considering or have done already. We're getting some in the ROTS wave (who's the guy that looks like Jeremy Bullock?) We just got a Concept Anakin, we're getting more concept figures later, so their "important" criteria as well as "limited screen time"is a bunch of baloney.

Another contradiction is they are releasing L8-L9 in the Build-a-droid, and K'Kruhk next year. He obviously is not being released as a comic character because he'll be on a single card. Both appeared in the Micro Series. Are they slipping them past LFL when they asked them not to do anymore? Sorry that doesn't add up either.

Their answers don't hold water IMO. We continue to hammer away at them for reasons why such and such is happening to the Titanium line even now as the line is dissapearing because their answers and actions don't make sense, yet we don't hold their feet to the fire on this? Especially in the light of their selective contradictions.

So when it's "no" is it really "no" or a qualified "no" or just "no" don't confuse me with the facts I deem fit to consider?

You can't FORCE them to answer, yet their answers contradict themselves.

I guess we've got better things to discuss like say 12 pages of:ermm: Jocasta Nu.

El Chuxter
08-14-2009, 11:31 PM
Lucasfilm: "Yeah, don't focus on the vastly superior Clone Wars. People will forget it existed and not realize how bad the new one is. Damned Genndy, upstaging Uncle George!"

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-15-2009, 10:31 AM
In the Hasbro Q&A round-up (http://www.hasbro.com/starwars/en_US/discover/news/article.cfm?newsid=140968C0-D56F-E112-49B1BDC33F1BE85B), this was posted:

HansHideout.com (Jeff): Since fan polls and wishlists are all the rage these days, we thought we'd pass along our Han's Hideout "Top Five" list for your consideration:

1) Super-Articulated Bespin Han Solo

2) Bollux/Blue Max (Han Solo at Star's End)

3) Jolli (Marvel Comics)

4) Crimson Jack (Marvel Comics)

5) Bom Vimdin

Having seen our list, should we be super-excited for 2010, sort of excited, or bracing ourselves for disappointment?

Hasbro: It's interesting that you have chosen, aside from the on-screen Han and Bom Vindin, three figures that commemorate the very earliest EU storytelling and are remembered fondly by long-time fans. In the scheme of what's happening today, however, these are a little obscure and probably not high on most fans' wish lists, but we'll see when the next Fans' Choice Vote nominations conclude in August (be sure and get your top 30 votes in!). From your list, at least one of those will be out in 2010 (you can probably guess which) and one more is almost a certain "lock" for 2011. As fo the rest, well, we hope that the comic packs have a long and fruitful life and we can get to one or more of them. As for our personal choice, it would be very cool to see Bollux/Blue Max some day.
I'm assuming that Bespin Han is coming in 2010, and Bom Vimdin is the one as a virtual lock for 2011. Should we update the lists accordingly, or keep them as they are?

Devo
08-15-2009, 01:30 PM
Yeah its got to be Bespin Han for the 30th anniversary of ESB. *Preparing self for disappointment of VOTC waist and legs recycled yet again*

Qui-Long Gone
08-15-2009, 05:56 PM
*Preparing self for disappointment of VOTC waist and legs recycled yet again*

Add a horrible head sculpt too....

Solo is one of the greatest heroes in any film, and one of the greatest toys...or at least he could be....

Qui-Long Gone
08-15-2009, 06:08 PM
JT, I can't think of how to best frame this question, but since Ewoks are getting made seemingly every year (in 2 packs), what about an update on Wickett...in a better scale than the POTF figure? He needs to be smaller, and I haven't heard wind of one in the works.

Darth Metalmute
08-15-2009, 08:40 PM
True.

I thought of another question as well. Since the Force FX lightsabers aren't really a mass market retail thing. Why aren't we able to order say a particular hilt and get to choose the blade color? It just seems so limiting how they trickle out only a few at a time. I like green and the Yoda one is smaller than normal isn't it?

Theres another question in there as well. In all the years I have been Star Wars hunting, I have never seen a FX Lightsaber sold, I'm not saying that they are not bought, just that I've never seen it. They are always warming shelves and are constantly sent to the clearance racks. Yet they are continually being reproduced with new scupts. I understand that this is a kid item and appeals to children, but how come these escape the "going on hiatus" death while the titanium line which can never be found dies.

I guess it always comes back to titanium.:thumbsup:

Blue2th
08-15-2009, 08:47 PM
Lucasfilm: "Yeah, don't focus on the vastly superior Clone Wars. People will forget it existed and not realize how bad the new one is. Damned Genndy, upstaging Uncle George!"

That reminded me of your thread a while back, so I got out the golden shovel and dug it up. Hope you don't mind. :)
http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?p=692262#post692262

RENDAR LIVES
08-18-2009, 03:21 PM
Theres another question in there as well. In all the years I have been Star Wars hunting, I have never seen a FX Lightsaber sold, I'm not saying that they are not bought, just that I've never seen it. They are always warming shelves and are constantly sent to the clearance racks. Yet they are continually being reproduced with new scupts. I understand that this is a kid item and appeals to children, but how come these escape the "going on hiatus" death while the titanium line which can never be found dies.

I guess it always comes back to titanium.:thumbsup:

I don't get it. Are we both talking about the $100 metal ones with the LEDs? I have one and know a few people who have bought multiples. Not to mention all the folks on youtube. There are plenty on the shelves however and I blame that on lack of variety and that there is only a couple retailers who actualy sell it in store.

Ando
08-18-2009, 04:43 PM
I'm just musing here, but a way around the "paying for music" issue for the Funeral Pyre scene is something I mentioned last year regarding the BMF and it's small collection of ANH oriented sound bites and sound effects:
Add a USB slot with a small flash memory to their higher priced lights and sounds toys so fans can add their own music or sound bites or have a spot on the HTS site for fans to buy and download new sound bites or audio clips from the movies/shows.

I realize this will never happen with Hasbro, as it might be cost prohibitive, but it would be neat to see some day.

If anyone thinks this would be a neat idea, I'd give it a go crafting a question for the next session.

Darth Metalmute
08-19-2009, 09:05 AM
I don't get it. Are we both talking about the $100 metal ones with the LEDs? I have one and know a few people who have bought multiples. Not to mention all the folks on youtube. There are plenty on the shelves however and I blame that on lack of variety and that there is only a couple retailers who actualy sell it in store.

Sorry, I meant the Hasbro one not the FX one.

pbarnard
08-19-2009, 11:12 AM
I'm just musing here, but a way around the "paying for music" issue for the Funeral Pyre scene is something I mentioned last year regarding the BMF and it's small collection of ANH oriented sound bites and sound effects:
Add a USB slot with a small flash memory to their higher priced lights and sounds toys so fans can add their own music or sound bites or have a spot on the HTS site for fans to buy and download new sound bites or audio clips from the movies/shows.

I realize this will never happen with Hasbro, as it might be cost prohibitive, but it would be neat to see some day.

If anyone thinks this would be a neat idea, I'd give it a go crafting a question for the next session.
It will never happen because anything software with Star Wars has to go through Lucas Arts. Although, they maybe relenting on e-books for kindle.

Ando
08-19-2009, 11:14 AM
It will never happen because anything software with Star Wars has to go through Lucas Arts. Although, they maybe relenting on e-books for kindle.

I know, like I said... Just musing.

RENDAR LIVES
08-19-2009, 12:51 PM

I think this is a great idea. This would open a whole other market and media for starwars merchandizing. I'm sure the product would be harder to sell since it isn't kid targeted but it's the next logical step up from lights and sounds if they want to keep it trendy. If they don't like the idea you could always market it yourself and become rich.

RENDAR LIVES
08-19-2009, 12:54 PM
Sorry, I meant the Hasbro one not the FX one.

It's cool. I was just confused. I don't care for those spring loaded ones but the kids like them and I won't buy the $100 ones for them to break within a couple weeks. Does anyone know if the new ones revealed at SDCC can attach together and not just with the little one that goes inside?

pbarnard
08-19-2009, 12:58 PM
I know, like I said... Just musing.

Maybe we have figured out the avenue for the distributor of this exclusive...Lucas Arts Online store. Solves the software issue, and not unprecedent for Hasbro to have a pack in figure with a game.

Darth Metalmute
08-19-2009, 02:20 PM
It's cool. I was just confused. I don't care for those spring loaded ones but the kids like them and I won't buy the $100 ones for them to break within a couple weeks. Does anyone know if the new ones revealed at SDCC can attach together and not just with the little one that goes inside?

I saw them at TRU this weekend. Grevious and Anakin. The little one "hides" inside the big one, but they can also connect to form a double bladed lightsaber.

JediTricks
08-19-2009, 02:56 PM
Ok, get your last votes in for this round because the questions are getting sent out tomorrow. And I have to tell you, there are so few votes at this point that almost any votes right now could tip the scales in your questions' favor.

There's a difference between difficult and intentionally smart-alecky.Nope.

I have no idea who Jaxxon is but I know they sell through very specific characters very quickly on that site. I like the hunt but sometimes it would be nice to order things and know they are guaranteed in stock. I think this is exactly the way to go. They could gauge the sales of these figures and find a lot of consumer data without hiring someone else to do it. Many retailers are poor at cycling their stock, some even refusing to put out new stock until the old stuff is sold. Not to mention the employees go through many boxes before they hit the floor to take a profit on the second market. Besides that, all it would take is a phone call to China to halt production on a figure if they weren't getting the volume of orders expected.That's not the problem, the problem is cutting the metal tooling, that's where the costs are. Cannot call China and halt that, once the process is started, the money is flowing. So they have to be confident on the product BEFORE they take it to market.

I thought of another question as well. Since the Force FX lightsabers aren't really a mass market retail thing. Why aren't we able to order say a particular hilt and get to choose the blade color? It just seems so limiting how they trickle out only a few at a time. I like green and the Yoda one is smaller than normal isn't it?They are a mass-market thing, they're just generally sold at different retailers than the action figures.

Yeah I've read these. They contradict themselves. Saying LFL asked them not to do anymore, yet they are going to get to a few important ones.
What are "important" ones? Another contradiction, if you want to call The Ice Cream Maker Guy an important one in the OT? We're voting on the most obscure characters ever in the Poll.It's not contradictory, Hasbro is saying that Lucasfilm asked them not to do more, but Hasbro recognizes that a few characters from the Clone Wars are important enough to do despite the request.

As far as screen time for the Cauldron figures, another contradiction with Hasbro's actions. There are plenty of characters without important roles, one brief shot of their faces (uh he's in the far corner to the right talking to another obscure character they'll make) no action scene, that they are considering or have done already. We're getting some in the ROTS wave (who's the guy that looks like Jeremy Bullock?) We just got a Concept Anakin, we're getting more concept figures later, so their "important" criteria as well as "limited screen time"is a bunch of baloney.You are missing the point, the difference is the media through which they appear. Clone Wars Micro Series is a small audience thing that ran a total of, what, an hour over the course of 2 years? The movies are much much greater audience interests.

Another contradiction is they are releasing L8-L9 in the Build-a-droid, and K'Kruhk next year. He obviously is not being released as a comic character because he'll be on a single card. Both appeared in the Micro Series. Are they slipping them past LFL when they asked them not to do anymore? Sorry that doesn't add up either.That's the difference between a request and an instruction. LFL only requested they not do more, not demanded.

In the Hasbro Q&A round-up (http://www.hasbro.com/starwars/en_US/discover/news/article.cfm?newsid=140968C0-D56F-E112-49B1BDC33F1BE85B), this was posted:

I'm assuming that Bespin Han is coming in 2010, and Bom Vimdin is the one as a virtual lock for 2011. Should we update the lists accordingly, or keep them as they are?Although likely, I'm not counting them as in the bag, so I'm leaving both on our lists. You guys can change your votes as you wish, but Bom Vimdin is already on board so it's too late there. Unfortunately, Hasbro still hasn't gotten back to me on my questions about that stuff, and asking in Q&A is pointless since the deadline is Monday.

JT, I can't think of how to best frame this question, but since Ewoks are getting made seemingly every year (in 2 packs), what about an update on Wickett...in a better scale than the POTF figure? He needs to be smaller, and I haven't heard wind of one in the works.He's coming in 2010, according to this Nov 7 answer:
CreatureCantina.com: What’s the probability of seeing a new Wicket W. Warrick figure using the new and improved Ewok sculpts you so generously graced us with in the TAC line (which by the way made Ewoks awesome once again)?
Hasbro: Ewoks are indeed once again awesome, and we’re glad you share the fun. It’s what we’d like to think is a trend we have seen coming and have been working toward helping propagate for some time starting with the most excellent Saga Collection Chief Chirpa figure. Anyway, back to your question. Look for Wicket on a basic card in 2010.

I guess it always comes back to titanium.:thumbsup:I've seen them sell at TRU and at Suncoast and even Borders Books (heck, I even bought 1 there). It's just not a fast-selling line because of the higher pricetag. I've only once seen them go to the clearance aisle, and that was Master Replicas packaging after they lost the license. The line at $100 doesn't need to sell anywhere near as many units to see profitability as a $7 toy, the sell-through on them could be 1/10th and still have a greater range of profits even on the same business model. Titaniums have been suffering poor sales since pretty much the entire run after ROTS came out, and Hasbro's been trying to keep it alive as long as possible.

Sorry, I meant the Hasbro one not the FX one.OHHHH! These are among Hasbro's strongest sellers, the $20 lights & sounds lightsabers. We may not see a lot of kids buying them, but they ARE being bought for kids at enough of a rate that Hasbro continues to put heavy focus into their production year after year. I didn't believe them either in '06 when they first said that, but after 3 years of heavy production, Hasbro isn't so stupid that they're just filling landfills with them, stores are happily ordering more and more so they ARE selling.

If anyone thinks this would be a neat idea, I'd give it a go crafting a question for the next session.Did you know that anybody who puts a USB slot on an item has to pay a licensing fee for the hardware AND the software that runs the Universal Serial Bus system? Also, I'd think writing a new operating system for these toys that could handle new files in an onboard flash memory storage would be a big expense. And Lucasfilm wants to control their materials, so I can't imagine them too happy at the idea of folks taking unlicensed sound files off their DVDs and putting them onto flash drives.

Qui-Long Gone
08-19-2009, 02:59 PM
Votes again for

Ando
08-19-2009, 03:40 PM
Did you know that anybody who puts a USB slot on an item has to pay a licensing fee for the hardware AND the software that runs the Universal Serial Bus system? Also, I'd think writing a new operating system for these toys that could handle new files in an onboard flash memory storage would be a big expense. And Lucasfilm wants to control their materials, so I can't imagine them too happy at the idea of folks taking unlicensed sound files off their DVDs and putting them onto flash drives.

I did NOT know that. Like I said, just musing. I know it won't happen with Hasbro/Lucasfilm.

mtriv73
08-19-2009, 04:11 PM
thanks

sonofsokol
08-19-2009, 04:24 PM
2,4,17 thanks.

DarthBrandon
08-19-2009, 04:51 PM
Votes: 4, 18, & 19

I'd like a special Canadian question if possible. Where's the product Hasbro ? I've seen nothing since wave 4. We are still looking for waves 5,6,7,8,9 etc along with new vehicles & battle packs (Yavin). Do you plan on sending anything Canada's way? If not then I guess we should start a new hobby down here. :mad:

El Chuxter
08-19-2009, 05:02 PM
3, 4, 11, 16, 19, 21

clone157
08-19-2009, 08:33 PM
15, 16, 21. New question "will we see a rerelease of the Scramble on Yavin BP but with a Clone Wars twist? Maybe with some replacement bombs for our gunships? Good way to release another of the pilots from Anakin or Ashoka's Squads."

vger
08-19-2009, 08:51 PM
15, 16, 21. New question "will we see a rerelease of the Scramble on Yavin BP but with a Clone Wars twist? Maybe with some replacement bombs for our gunships? Good way to release another of the pilots from Anakin or Ashoka's Squads."

How about one more along the lines of the AT-TE crew? Call it "Gunship Crew" and include two pilots and two troopers with extra accessories (a la Training on the Falcon)?

JediTricks
08-19-2009, 10:03 PM
I'd like a special Canadian question if possible. Where's the product Hasbro ? I've seen nothing since wave 4. We are still looking for waves 5,6,7,8,9 etc along with new vehicles & battle packs (Yavin). Do you plan on sending anything Canada's way? If not then I guess we should start a new hobby down here. :mad:July 6th gives you this disappointing answer:
SnowTroopers.ca: Given the huge lag between Canada and the US, many Canadian collectors are worried that we'll end up missing the last TESB and AotC waves before the line resets (not to mention losing out on the BaD droids). Will Hasbro Canada carry over the figures and BaD from these last 2 waves to the new cards in order to ensure we don't get burned by the slow rate at which Canada gets its new figures compared to the US?
Hasbro: Unfortunately, the issues that have impacted Legacy/Droid Factory in the U.S. have also been present in Canada, and the Canadian team could not bring in the final two waves (EpII and EPV) of the blue/white line look. Right now, we do not have plans to carryover the final two waves onto the new cards.

New question "will we see a rerelease of the Scramble on Yavin BP but with a Clone Wars twist? Maybe with some replacement bombs for our gunships? Good way to release another of the pilots from Anakin or Ashoka's Squads."Interesting idea. Can you back this up with any source material in the show, or is it something you're just making up on the spot? They could also release it as a deluxe figure & vehicle pack with a clone technician or some made up stuff. Anyway, get back to me on that.

How about one more along the lines of the AT-TE crew? Call it "Gunship Crew" and include two pilots and two troopers with extra accessories (a la Training on the Falcon)?Unfortunately, that's too much product to come with a battle pack, the original came with the vehicle and 2.5 figures, right?

Ironically due to your username, I just had on the ST:TMP soundtrack playing when I read your post. :D

vger
08-20-2009, 06:31 AM
Unfortunately, that's too much product to come with a battle pack, the original came with the vehicle and 2.5 figures, right?

I was thinking of this battle pack, "AT-TE Assault Squad."
http://www.rebelscum.com/TCWBPATTEsquad.asp

It came with 3 clone troopers and one AT-TE gunner.

Ironically due to your username, I just had on the ST:TMP soundtrack playing when I read your post. :D
LOL!

Darth Marco
08-20-2009, 04:02 PM
Sorry JT, reading all the comments about a new ROTJ Jabba and the dais but here are my votes.

1. 4

Sometimes patience and time will reveal something we always want like Jabba on his dais.

JediTricks
08-20-2009, 05:26 PM
Question 15 has been stricken.
If you've voted for this question, you are refunded 1 vote.
It's been answered on JediTempleArchives:
JediTempleArchives.com: 2005's AT-RT vehicle was an interesting concept. It's one of the few motorized vehicles that we've had in the line. But the mechanics of the toy don't seem to replicate just how agile the vehicle has been shown to be in the Clone Wars animated series. Given that appearance in the Clone Wars, is an AT-RT in the lineup for the near future? And might it be retooled?
Hasbro: We are looking at a new version of the AT-RT to be brought into the Clone Wars lineup. It is smaller than the Episode III version, fitting with the more slender design from the Clone Wars animation. Currently, it's slated for the deluxe figure/vehicle assortment and should be out for the first wave of 2010. Stay tuned!

I was thinking of this battle pack, "AT-TE Assault Squad."
http://www.rebelscum.com/TCWBPATTEsquad.asp

It came with 3 clone troopers and one AT-TE gunner. But no vehicle.

JediTricks
08-20-2009, 05:43 PM
Here are my votes for this round. It was tough, I had almost twice as many candidates.

5 ssc
9 sdcc boba
10 ts revisits
11 mace
17 cw new style
18 snow luke

vger
08-20-2009, 05:54 PM
Question 15 has been stricken.
It's been answered on JediTempleArchives:

JediTempleArchives.com: 2005's AT-RT vehicle was an interesting concept. It's one of the few motorized vehicles that we've had in the line. But the mechanics of the toy don't seem to replicate just how agile the vehicle has been shown to be in the Clone Wars animated series. Given that appearance in the Clone Wars, is an AT-RT in the lineup for the near future? And might it be retooled?
Hasbro: We are looking at a new version of the AT-RT to be brought into the Clone Wars lineup. It is smaller than the Episode III version, fitting with the more slender design from the Clone Wars animation. Currently, it's slated for the deluxe figure/vehicle assortment and should be out for the first wave of 2010. Stay tuned!

But no vehicle.

Right. Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear in my initial post. I meant I'd rather see a gunship squad pack with extra accessories instead of one with the mini-vehicle and extra accessories.

JediTricks
08-20-2009, 05:59 PM
Right. Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear in my initial post. I meant I'd rather see a gunship squad pack with extra accessories instead of one with the mini-vehicle and extra accessories.
Oh, that's quite different. Well, you guys need to work out what we're adding.

RENDAR LIVES
08-20-2009, 06:04 PM
Ok, get your last votes in for this round because the questions are getting sent out tomorrow. And I have to tell you, there are so few votes at this point that almost any votes right now could tip the scales in your questions' favor.

Nope.

That's not the problem, the problem is cutting the metal tooling, that's where the costs are. Cannot call China and halt that, once the process is started, the money is flowing. So they have to be confident on the product BEFORE they take it to market.

They are a mass-market thing, they're just generally sold at different retailers than the action figures.

I've seen them sell at TRU and at Suncoast and even Borders Books (heck, I even bought 1 there). It's just not a fast-selling line because of the higher pricetag. I've only once seen them go to the clearance aisle, and that was Master Replicas packaging after they lost the license. The line at $100 doesn't need to sell anywhere near as many units to see profitability as a $7 toy, the sell-through on them could be 1/10th and still have a greater range of profits even on the same business model. Titaniums have been suffering poor sales since pretty much the entire run after ROTS came out, and Hasbro's been trying to keep it alive as long as possible.

Well couldn't they do the minimum order and if it sells well enough pump out more?

I know the FX sabers are sold at TRU and Walmart online. From what I have seen they've been at Suncoast, Radioshak and Bestbuy but only around holidays and it isn't even every year at that. Other toylines are sold through Suncoast and collectors because they wont be sustained in the mass market. Like the difference between Marvel Legends and Diamond Select Marvel figures. Since they are not in your regular retail stores (Target, Walmart, Best Buy, TRU) year round (not seasonaly) I didn't think they were considered mass market.

Besides that point it still doesn't answer the question, can EFX / Hasbro let people order a particular hilt and blade color? I don't think swapping the blades out would be a cost prohibitve procedure and some people might even like it if the could remove the blade at will being that these are nice replicas on their own at a third the cost of the replicas without electronics or LEDs.

JediTricks
08-20-2009, 06:29 PM
Well couldn't they do the minimum order and if it sells well enough pump out more?Are you talking about the figures, or the FX sabers? They are 2 different business models, and the latter already employs it.

For the figures, it doesn't fit their business model because of the higher risks against the tooling costs per unit.

They actually did try this with the action figure stand set, and it took an exceptionally long time to burn through the first run, they didn't like how long it took with it.

Besides that point it still doesn't answer the question, can EFX / Hasbro let people order a particular hilt and blade color? I don't think swapping the blades out would be a cost prohibitve procedure and some people might even like it if the could remove the blade at will being that these are nice replicas on their own at a third the cost of the replicas without electronics or LEDs.Yes, they COULD do that (eFXcouldn't, because they don't hold that license), but not at the existing pricepoint, it'd be exponentially higher due to offsetting factory costs (it may also violate the terms of their licensing agreement or their agreements with their retail partners, but I don't know that to be the case). They've been working on removable blades since day 1, and have not yet found a way to do this safely due to the weight of the item (some fans have, but they aren't restricted by US safety regs and legal teams).

Swapping the blades would also mean swapping the LED driver circuits because the different colors of LEDs require different power requirements, so it's not as easy as just plucking a green blade out of a Luke ROTJ saber and jamming it into a Vader or Obi-Wan hilt.

MR tried giving fans a kit that did change colors (it used colored bulbs in the base instead of the LED blade), it was incredibly unpopular however, retailers had no faith and didn't order much, most ended up clearanced out through Radio Shack.

RENDAR LIVES
08-20-2009, 06:42 PM
Are you talking about the figures, or the FX sabers? They are 2 different business models, and the latter already employs it.

For the figures, it doesn't fit their business model because of the higher risks against the tooling costs per unit.

They actually did try this with the action figure stand set, and it took an exceptionally long time to burn through the first run, they didn't like how long it took with it.

Yes, they COULD do that (eFXcouldn't, because they don't hold that license), but not at the existing pricepoint, it'd be exponentially higher due to offsetting factory costs (it may also violate the terms of their licensing agreement or their agreements with their retail partners, but I don't know that to be the case). They've been working on removable blades since day 1, and have not yet found a way to do this safely due to the weight of the item (some fans have, but they aren't restricted by US safety regs and legal teams).

Swapping the blades would also mean swapping the LED driver circuits because the different colors of LEDs require different power requirements, so it's not as easy as just plucking a green blade out of a Luke ROTJ saber and jamming it into a Vader or Obi-Wan hilt.

MR tried giving fans a kit that did change colors (it used colored bulbs in the base instead of the LED blade), it was incredibly unpopular however, retailers had no faith and didn't order much, most ended up clearanced out through Radio Shack.

The first part of that was meant for collector oriented figures. Sorry for the mix up. I also wondered if they tooled with other metals than steel. I know with the Transformers lines they used steel for some but cheaper metals for others because they expected a more limited release and didn't need as durable a mold.

Those kits at the shack looked plastic and were pretty spendy being a cheaper material without the LEDs.

At any rate would it hurt to ask?

RENDAR LIVES
08-20-2009, 06:46 PM
Also, thanks for all the info JT. I'm sure it's not easy staying on top of everything like that. We may raise a lot of questions but you mods obviously do a lot of the leg work to keep us informed and not wasting our limited resources.

JediTricks
08-20-2009, 07:24 PM
The first part of that was meant for collector oriented figures. Sorry for the mix up. I also wondered if they tooled with other metals than steel. I know with the Transformers lines they used steel for some but cheaper metals for others because they expected a more limited release and didn't need as durable a mold.Some tools are cut in aluminum not only because it's cheaper, but because it has better cooling properties (although that's only good for parts that are all the same thickness, otherwise you'd want slower cooling for evenness). It's still very expensive though. And cheaper metals won't give as crisp of details. Transformers it's probably easier to get away with doing something like that because the parts are more geometric and less organic shapes.

Those kits at the shack looked plastic and were pretty spendy being a cheaper material without the LEDs.The hilts and parts I believe were metal, but they were fatter hilts and just not as attractive-looking parts. Having no LED blade but it was still a triple-digit price was a kick in the pants too.

At any rate would it hurt to ask?IMO, as it is now it's a waste of a precious resource because based on the answers and info we have, we have a very high probability of already knowing what the answer is. We have a much richer understanding of how Hasbro does business now, so we just sew those concepts together to create a logical thread and get to the "not gonna happen" answer they'd give us anyway. That's the process that helps us come up with new ways to ask these things which gives them a spin Hasbro might not have independently thought of otherwise.

JediTricks
08-20-2009, 09:22 PM
Well, that's it for this round. Thanks again to everybody who participated!

Here are the questions we're sending in this round:

Wookiees have consistently been some of the most popular Star Wars aliens since 1977, but haven't had a lot of great non-Chewbacca figures. Fans were very excited to finally be getting a Wookiee battle on Kashyyyk in Episode III, as well as the promise of more Wookiee figures, but figures of Tarrful and the 2 Wookiees we got didn't fully deliver on detailing or articulation, and 2 of them were hampered by action features. Since then, we've gotten updates of Kashyyyk clone troopers, but no more of their Wookiee "brothers in arms". And now with The Force Unleashed we have 2 full levels on Kashyyyk with Wookiees to fight with, but no toys to recreate this. When will we be seeing new and varied Wookiee warrior figures to live up to these great sources?
Now that you've shown off the new Slave Leia with alternate sitting lower body, it's got fans hungering for 2 things: a new ROTJ Jabba the Hutt, and Jabba's dais. We know you've heard plenty of these requests and are considering Jabba for a possible new design, up to the point that we almost just sent you literally "blah blah blah Jabba's Dais! blah blah question mark". But hypothetically, if Hasbro were to do a new Jabba with Dais, what pricepoint and format might this be released in for all that new tooling, and would the set include the existing railing and hookah or just assume that enough collectors have the piece and leave it out? Would you go back and use the Kenner vintage throne tooling? Could we convince Brian Merten to get it done as another fantastic exclusive, and if so, does that mean Jabba would have an awesome new cockpit sculpted inside his head?
In '08, the Clone Wars figure designs were hybrids of the animation appearance and their live-action counterparts, especially Obi-Wan and Anakin. Sculpts were a bit bulkier, bodies were less lengthy and tapered, likenesses a little more grounded. For the red card '09 line however, we're seeing designs that are closer to the show art, such as Obi-Wan Space Suit with a more angular face with larger eyes and a skinnier body that's got longer legs than the '08 figure. What brought about this change, and why? Will we be seeing updates to those '08 figures with this more show-accurate style?
Does Hasbro have any plans to update the Dianoga in the near future? We need one that is better detailed, better articulated and perhaps featuring multiple bendy tentacles. If you were to update the Dianoga, what format would you release it in: Battle Pack, a basic carded figure, Ultimate Battle Pack, something else?
Premiered at your Comic-Con booth this year was a new Luke Snowspeeder pilot figure that looks fantastic. However, the figure is sporting a thermal cap sculpted to his head, yet in the film when we see him get in and out of the snowspeeder, he's not wearing the cap (although when we see him piloting, he is), and since the figure sports the grappling gun he uses when he gets out, it's a mixed situation. Will there be an alternate version of this figure released with a head that doesn't sport the thermal cap?
At your SDCC panel, you mentioned that the Imperial Scanning Crew Technician would be coming as 2 figures via a running change, that each figure would not only have its unique head but also their own part of the scanner as seen in the film, one coming with the scanner trunk, and the other with a type of dolly the scanner was wheeled out on. Both accessories were even shown off in your booth. However, recent official Hasbro images of the first Imperial Scanning Crew figure has been released both carded and loose, and in neither image do we see any scanner whatsoever. Are those images correct and this figure isn't coming with either part of the scanner? If so, why is this? Will the running change figure get either of the accessories? If it's only the trunk, will there be a way for fans to get that second accessory?

Look for a new round of voting soon.