PDA

View Full Version : Unsung Heroes

Qui-Long Gone
08-03-2009, 11:51 PM
If you could give out Yavin 4 ceremony badges to these SW characters (since we have god-vision and see what everyone does during the series) who would you give them to?

1. Wedge. Notable achievement: survived two assaults on two death stars and blew up the second. Survived Hoth battle. Partied like a rock star on Endor.

2. R2. Kept Anakin's secret identity from Luke and Leia until his grave...also saved about everyone on average 3-6 times a scene.

3. Anakin Skywalker. Notable achievement: turned back to the good side, killed Emperor, saved Luke, figured out how to become one with the force sans Qui Gon/Yoda training.

Droid
08-04-2009, 10:19 AM
Why do you think that R2 knew Anakin was Darth Vader or even survived Mustafar?

Bel-Cam Jos
08-04-2009, 10:58 AM
Zev (a.k.a. Rouge 2)... without him, Han gets frozen earlier, AND smells bad on the outside.

Lobot... speak softly and carry a big headset.

That Star Destroyer gunner who decided not to fire at the "jetisonned" escape pod in ANH... that'd have been the shortest sci-fi movie series ever.

_____________________ [space left here for 2-1B's response]

Blue2th
08-04-2009, 11:02 AM
Chewbacca should have gotten one. He was right there. Poor Chewy! :cry:

bigbarada
08-04-2009, 01:23 PM
Come to think of it, Wedge Antilles and all the other surviving Rebel Pilots should have at least gotten some kind of commendation for the Battle of Yavin. Maybe not the same medal as Luke, but he still deserved some kind of medal for volunteering to go fight and surviving (for instance, if Luke got the silver star, then Wedge could have gotten a Bronze star).

If I recall the 1977 explanation of why Chewie didn't get a medal, it was because his race didn't value trivial things like awards and commendations. Instead, Han, Luke and Leia would all go to Chewie's home planet and have a celebration for his heroism there. Cue the Holiday Special.... :cross-eye

JediTricks
08-04-2009, 03:00 PM
Chewbacca should have gotten one. He was right there. Poor Chewy! :cry:Yeah! And by that argument, 3PO and Leia should have gotten one since they were watching from Yavin! :rolleyes: :p Did Chewie make any decisions to go back? Did Chewie risk his ship to shoot Darth Vader's TIE? Did Chewie do most of the piloting or man the guns? No, he's even less important than R2-D2.

Blue2th
08-04-2009, 06:48 PM
Yeah! And by that argument, 3PO and Leia should have gotten one since they were watching from Yavin! :rolleyes: :p Did Chewie make any decisions to go back? Did Chewie risk his ship to shoot Darth Vader's TIE? Did Chewie do most of the piloting or man the guns? No, he's even less important than R2-D2.

Damn! The Chewy argument shot down just like that!

Well maybe he got his hair brushed like a good doggy. 3-P0 and R2 got shined up nicely at least. :D

Mad Slanted Powers
08-04-2009, 10:06 PM
Come to think of it, Wedge Antilles and all the other surviving Rebel Pilots should have at least gotten some kind of commendation for the Battle of Yavin. Maybe not the same medal as Luke, but he still deserved some kind of medal for volunteering to go fight and surviving (for instance, if Luke got the silver star, then Wedge could have gotten a Bronze star).Maybe they did get some recognition, but all we saw was the part of the ceremony where they honored Han & Luke. Kind of like those technical awards at the Oscars that they don't show in prime time.

Yeah! And by that argument, 3PO and Leia should have gotten one since they were watching from Yavin! :rolleyes: :p Did Chewie make any decisions to go back? Did Chewie risk his ship to shoot Darth Vader's TIE? Did Chewie do most of the piloting or man the guns? No, he's even less important than R2-D2.I think Chewie might have helped convince Han to go back and help. You can tell he was getting to him when Han said, "What're you lookin' at? I know what I'm doing."

TeeEye7
08-05-2009, 03:08 AM
Didn't Wedge get a Starbuck's gift card for his participation in the Battle of Yavin?

That BSG guy had to do SOMETHING after he retired..........

Bel-Cam Jos
08-05-2009, 11:05 AM
Two words: participation ribbons. OR: firm handshakes.

Blue2th
08-05-2009, 12:30 PM
It's funny how the Saga General Dodonna came with three medals in case we wanted to take it upon ourselves to give Chewy or Wedge a medal. :silly:

http://www.brianstoys.com/store/images/products/images1/d_14278.jpg

Qui-Long Gone
08-05-2009, 02:12 PM
Maybe they could have thrown Chewie a bone?

JediTricks
08-05-2009, 03:03 PM
Damn! The Chewy argument shot down just like that!

Well maybe he got his hair brushed like a good doggy. 3-P0 and R2 got shined up nicely at least. :DChewie got to order everyone to attention, despite being a big walking carpet. That's a good honor.

I think Chewie might have helped convince Han to go back and help. You can tell he was getting to him when Han said, "What're you lookin' at? I know what I'm doing."By that argument, Luke should get a second medal for nagging Han right before that, and Leia should get a medal for giving Han the business for being a mercenary. And while we're at it, let's give Darth Vader a medal for giving Han the ability to be a hero.

Didn't Wedge get a Starbuck's gift card for his participation in the Battle of Yavin?If you think about it, Wedge got a demotion. He was Red 2 in ANH but Rogue 3 in ESB. I guess the Rebellion looks poorly on failures who don't have the decency to die while failing.

Two words: participation ribbons. OR: firm handshakes.A Laurel, and Hardy handshake.

It's funny how the Saga General Dodonna came with three medals in case we wanted to take it upon ourselves to give Chewy or Wedge a medal. :silly:

http://www.brianstoys.com/store/images/products/images1/d_14278.jpgThey're bootlegs, he's selling them at a convention after the ceremony. Yes, Dodonna's a scalper.

Droid
08-05-2009, 03:35 PM
If you think about it, Wedge got a demotion. He was Red 2 in ANH but Rogue 3 in ESB. I guess the Rebellion looks poorly on failures who don't have the decency to die while failing.

I always thought it was strange that Wedge wouldn't have stayed back there trying to draw Vader's fire. Maybe he should have slammed on the "brakes" and tried to get Vader's TIE to crash into the back of his X-Wing.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-05-2009, 06:38 PM
I always thought it was strange that Wedge wouldn't have stayed back there trying to draw Vader's fire. Maybe he should have slammed on the "brakes" and tried to get Vader's TIE to crash into the back of his X-Wing.So, there were no other TIEs flying around the DS to take down a wounded X-Wing? Did he just park on the surface and wait?

Qui-Long Gone
08-06-2009, 02:30 PM
^ I think it's clear that the Empire spent all their money on the Death Star and didn't have many fighters, or at least enough to take out a dozen rebels. :D

TeeEye7
08-06-2009, 02:48 PM
If you think about it, Wedge got a demotion. He was Red 2 in ANH but Rogue 3 in ESB. I guess the Rebellion looks poorly on failures who don't have the decency to die while failing.

His caffeine addiction must have caught up with him.

JediTricks
08-06-2009, 03:43 PM
So, there were no other TIEs flying around the DS to take down a wounded X-Wing? Did he just park on the surface and wait?The other TIEs were already splashed at that point, there were only a small number sent out to confront the small number of Rebels, and command didn't even see them as a threat at all.