PDA

View Full Version : District 9

Qui-Long Gone
08-09-2009, 06:41 PM
Have you heard of this movie? Are you--like me--planning to see it?

Jangu Fett
08-10-2009, 09:08 PM
I have heard of it. The trailer looks pretty good, IMO it looks better then GI Joe Rise of Cobra. Can't get used to those cheap HALO-like armor suit they wear. And no offense to Marlon Wayans "Ripcord". Sorry, if I spelled his name wrong, but his charater looks really annoying. And the animation even from the trailer looks really cheesey and cheap. I'll spend my money on District-9................Halo Knock-Off........... And wait for GI Joe to come out on DVD and, MAYBE, rent it.

pbarnard
08-10-2009, 09:44 PM
Well because it is the HALO movie that Peter Jackson handed off to some other guy who than transformed the project into something that could resemble a story.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-10-2009, 09:48 PM
The more I see about it, the more I'm interested.

jonthejedi
08-14-2009, 01:37 PM
Saw D9 today...without any doubt in my mind THE movie of the summer, and the most original sci-fi movie since The Matrix. Also a kick-butt action piece as well. The best CGI I've ever seen, too.

JediTricks
08-14-2009, 05:15 PM
They were promoting this a year ago at Comic-Con with signage about not allowing aliens into certain areas of the convention center. Steve and I watched a fake protest going up and down the Gaslamp about aliens rights and chuckled.

I haven't considered seeing it, it sounds interesting but the original ads this year made it seem more like a parable about South African segregation. However, a few reviews today made it clear it's not merely that. So I dunno, I've got a busy weekend coming up and next week I'll be out of commission with my final wisdom tooth extraction, then it's my birthday. But I do kinda want to see it.

El Chuxter
08-14-2009, 05:27 PM
Ouch. You've still got wisdom teeth? If you don't mind my asking, how is it that you retained one this long but it has to be extracted? (Feel free to tell me to shut up and mind my own beeswax.)

JediTricks
08-14-2009, 06:07 PM
Ouch. You've still got wisdom teeth? If you don't mind my asking, how is it that you retained one this long but it has to be extracted? (Feel free to tell me to shut up and mind my own beeswax.)
I started having them taken out about a year and a quarter ago, then I broke that molar during last year's comic-con lunch, remember? That interrupted the pace of having the rest taken out 1 at a time since it's based on what I can afford at that time.

Rocketboy
08-14-2009, 10:08 PM
Saw it today. Enjoyed it quite a bit. Effects are really damn good.

My only problem is the way it was shot - and I'm not talking about the handi-cam doc-style. It was the way they seem to keep switching from a documentary about the incident to a typical movie, filmed doc-style, and trying to keep it as one single narrative.
There are times it seemed like a camera man was following the main character while he performed his job and slid into a cinematographer filming a movie without the aid of a steadicam. And it'll cut back to people being interviewed in the documentary style.

jonthejedi
08-15-2009, 03:53 AM
Who's making Prawn toys...that's what I wanna know???!!! But yes, you're right about the style it was shot, at times a bit klunky & distracting, but that's my only complaint. Nice to have aliens show up somewhere besides LA, New York or DC. There is an underlying connection to the woes in South Africa, but I didn't thing it bashed you over the head as I was watching. I was actually rooting for the Prawns by the end.

plasticfetish
08-15-2009, 10:17 PM
Who's making Prawn toys...that's what I wanna know???!!!No kidding! I don't want to be a "they need to make action figures of everything" kind of toy nerd, but I'd love a good Prawn figure. Maybe we'll get lucky and NECA will pick the license up.

Saw the film this afternoon BTW, and liked it very much. :thumbsup:

jonthejedi
08-16-2009, 04:17 AM
The word-of-mouth on this film as well as critical response has been through the roof. I hope it doesn't become over-hyped. It deserves better.

plasticfetish
08-16-2009, 05:23 AM
I hope it doesn't become over-hyped. It deserves better.I agree.

The thing is... it's not the greatest film ever made, but it's a very good, solid sci-fi film, that I'd probably like to watch more than once. And to me that's saying a lot, because as much as I've enjoyed what I've seen this summer, I could do without a second viewing of Terminator, Wolverine, Harry Potter, or even Star Trek. I'll more than likely do without a first viewing of Transformers and GI Joe, but District 9 is something that I'd watch a second time.

...and I wouldn't feel like an idiot for coughing up another $10 to see it.

2-1B
08-16-2009, 10:46 PM
SPOILERs, of course:

I saw it today and loved it, best film I've seen this year.

When I first saw a trailer several months ago, it grabbed my attention with the blurred out creature in the interrogation scene...then later they started showing it with the blur removed...then they started showing TOO much of the film so I back away from other previews...then I finally saw the movie and loved it, even though they cut out the interrogation scene that grabbed me in the first place. lol

I had no idea this movie would be so action packed, but it was really well done. Christopher was the balls and his little guy was adorable. I was bummed out about how a lot of the things turned out, but that's because I was really into the storyline. I couldn't believe Wickes turned on Chris like that, knocking him out, but I was glad he came around at the end. Imagine if he had gone up to the mothership with Chris and Chris Jr. in the first place to go travelling around with them on their voyage...I'd love to see that movie, too!

Rocketboy
08-16-2009, 11:11 PM
Anyone else expecting the sequel in 2012?
:D

jonthejedi
08-17-2009, 04:16 AM
The director has stated he wants to revisit District 9(or is it 10 now). They definitely have more story to tell. I was surprised, too, that the interrogation scene was nowhere in the movie.

JediTricks
08-19-2009, 10:45 PM
I almost went and saw this, but read a few reviews suggesting the final act loses focus and becomes battle scenes that don't even pay off the larger story. Anybody confirm or deny?

Mvader91
08-19-2009, 11:25 PM
:thumbsup:I gotta tell ya, Awesome Movie!!! Good story effects, the girlfreind would even like to see it again.:love:

jonthejedi
08-20-2009, 03:43 AM
Every review I've read has been 3 1/2-4 stars. See the movie JT, we command it! Tell me afterwards you're weren't rooting for the Prawns to kick some Terran butt!

plasticfetish
08-20-2009, 02:49 PM
I almost went and saw this, but read a few reviews suggesting the final act loses focus and becomes battle scenes that don't even pay off the larger story. Anybody confirm or deny?I'd deny that, but it would also be a huge spoiler for me to go into detail on why the entire film was leading up to that act, and why it worked so well.

Anyone else expecting the sequel in 2012?Part of me doesn't want to see a sequel. I'd rather just leave everything else up to imagination--something that most sci-fi or action movies don't bother with much anymore. But there were so many unanswered questions, and there was so much back history to be explained, that I wouldn't be shocked if they did another film.

Rocketboy
08-20-2009, 06:57 PM
Part of me doesn't want to see a sequel. I'd rather just leave everything else up to imagination--something that most sci-fi or action movies don't bother with much anymore. But there were so many unanswered questions, and there was so much back history to be explained, that I wouldn't be shocked if they did another film.Oh yeah, but I was referring to the whole...

SPOILERS

...three years he said it'll take him to return to Earth.

Chaddymac
08-20-2009, 08:00 PM
You guys catch the messianic undertones?

Spoiler

"Christopher Johnson" = Christ Jesus. He ascends to the heavens so that one day he might return and liberate his people.

Qui-Long Gone
08-22-2009, 11:00 PM
Finally saw the movie....loved it! Not what I expected so I was there just to watch. Good ideas, great scenes, good characters, perfect old school sci-fi morality tale....

preacher
08-23-2009, 09:50 PM
Simply THE summer movie that flew under the rider. Five minutes into it I was hooked. One hour into it I was ashamed to be part of the same species that treats things it doesn't understand horribly. This is not your run of the mill alien invasion movie. It spins the genre on its rear. Brutal, intense, and is right up there with the Original Alien, and John Carpenter's the thing. Clever story, excellent characters, no over use of CGI it exceeded my wildest dreams. Think Schindler's list - with aliens and that about sums it up.

Qui-Long Gone
08-23-2009, 10:11 PM
I thought the scene in the lab with them forcing Wicus to use the weapons was crazy! Not bad acting for a producer!!!!! :thumbsup:

What a great performance....like a wimpier Ripley from the first Aliens...or a nerdy cousin of Sarah Connor....

Rocketboy
08-23-2009, 11:03 PM
Think Schindler's list - with aliens and that about sums it up.I'd argue that you're overselling it a bit.
It's really good, but not that good.

preacher
08-24-2009, 11:47 AM
It will be very hard to ever beat Schindler's list. I was referring to similarities in theme. Not the actual direction and story. Concentration camp? Check. Genocide? Check. Perverse experiments? Check.

OK, one thing that kind of rubbed me wrong, and this is just a personal preference of mine, but I thought having the soundtrack playing while the mocumentary was happening was intrusive. It would've been even more intense, if the mocumentary just played without any music.