PDA

View Full Version : Early?

starwars92590
02-24-2002, 09:28 PM
Why are some people getting Episode II toys so early? Shoudn't they be waiting like evry one else?:mad:

Beast
02-24-2002, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by starwars92590
Why are some people getting Episode II toys so early? Shoudn't they be waiting like evry one else?:mad:
If they wanna spend the extra money to aquire them early, whats wrong with that? I myself may end up buying one or two off of ebay in the next few days just to have something early to open myself. No way I would pay what some people are paying for the figures early though. But I can get Capt. Typho or some of the less popular ones for about 15.00. I figure though for most of them, I'll wait and get them for 5.88 at Wal-mart. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Lord Tenebrous
02-24-2002, 09:45 PM
I can disagree with the massive amount of money being thrown around in the AOTC secondary market, but I can't criticize the methods and wants of others.

I just hope they aren't disappointed by their investments.

LTBasker
02-24-2002, 11:03 PM
Most likely they will be, but as saddening as it is, it's best to hope it teaches them a lesson cause if people don't try to throw cash around to just get a piece of plastic early no matter if it's 50x over the retail price or more, then scalpers won't be able to sell alot and then some would hopefully stop with SW.

Deoxyribonucleic
02-25-2002, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by LTBasker
Most likely they will be, but as saddening as it is, it's best to hope it teaches them a lesson cause if people don't try to throw cash around to just get a piece of plastic early no matter if it's 50x over the retail price or more, then scalpers won't be able to sell alot and then some would hopefully stop with SW.

I agree and I gotta say since I've been roaming these forums for the last couple of months I've noticed that alot of people wait it out (buying a figure) until they can get it at a decent price. I think we are all becoming quite aware of the antics of poodu scalpers. Well....most anyways :)

Wolfwood319
02-25-2002, 03:52 AM
In my very humble opinion, if anyone pays more than retail for any of the upcoming figures, they are fools. I guarantee that there will be no shortage of the first few waves, and your local toy aisles at Wal-Mart will be plastered with Anakins and Obi-Wans come May.

With the exception of the OT figures, there are only 3 figures I'm interested in getting in May. The rest I'll wait for until they are on clearence. Nothing better than getting sub-par figures for $2 a pop!:D

pthfnder89
02-25-2002, 11:41 AM
Well, the release of the AOTC figures is still two months away, and some people don't want to wait that long. I personally won't pay huge sums of money just to have the figures a couple months ahead of time, but I don't mind paying a little over retail for some of the figures I REALLY want.

I'm with JarJar, what people do with their money is their own buisness. I've bought a couple of the cheaper ones ($15) off the internet, and I don't regret it because they were also some of my favorita characters. But I saw the entire collection 2 at a toy show this weekend, and most were going for $35-50 a piece. I'd much rather wait and get them at retail for $5.99.

Beast
02-25-2002, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by pthfnder89
I'm with JarJar, what people do with their money is their own buisness. I've bought a couple of the cheaper ones ($15) off the internet, and I don't regret it because they were also some of my favorita characters.
Well, don't keep us in suspense. What were the ones you bought? Come on, spill it. I think I wana try and get a Jango and probably Boba early, but being popular charecters they always go for more then $15. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jayspawn
02-25-2002, 02:00 PM
I don't see anything wrong with paying high prices to get figures early. I think those people are crazy. I'm gonna get em a lot cheaper when I get them from the stores.

pthfnder89
02-25-2002, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks

Well, don't keep us in suspense. What were the ones you bought? Come on, spill it. I think I wana try and get a Jango and probably Boba early, but being popular charecters they always go for more then $15. :D

Jar Jar Binks

Well, I ordered the regular Battle Droid and Plo Koon from Amok Time for $15 each, because Plo is definitely my favorite Ep1 Jedi, and I think the Ep2 figure looks pretty great.

Then I bought Shaak Ti from a vendor at the SciFi Expo this weekend. I have to say, I'm pretty disappointed with her. I was one of the very few people who thought she looked good in the internet pics, even though she can't move much. But the great paint detail from the pictures apparently didn't translate well at all into the final figure. It looks pretty bad, and she doesn't have *any* arm articulation aside from her shoulders. So I kinda burned myself on that one. :cry: :mad:

But my beloved Plo Koon should get here tomorrow with his battle droid, so I'll let you know what I think of them.

The vendor at the Expo had Artoo, Shaak Ti, Plo, Battle Droid, Super BD, Typho, Boba and the preview JAngo.

I wasn't about to pay $35 for the lousy Preview Jango, and Boba was also $35, so I only walked off with Shaak Ti.

Beast
02-25-2002, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by pthfnder89
Then I bought Shaak Ti from a vendor at the SciFi Expo this weekend. I have to say, I'm pretty disappointed with her. I was one of the very few people who thought she looked good in the internet pics, even though she can't move much. But the great paint detail from the pictures apparently didn't translate well at all into the final figure. It looks pretty bad, and she doesn't have *any* arm articulation aside from her shoulders. So I kinda burned myself on that one. :cry: :mad:
Cool nice choices, but yeah, I wish they would have given her some more articulation also, but she's still a nice figure. Not being able to really move her head because of her head tails is a pain though. :( I don't mind the legs not having articulation, due to the fact of the dress is in an action posed swirl anyway. The arms are the biggest complaint, she needed better articulated arms, like Eeth Koth got. Oh well, I still like her but I will have to search the pegs for the best paintjobs. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
02-25-2002, 05:44 PM
Another pure statue to the list. :(

pthfnder89
02-25-2002, 07:13 PM
Yeah, I was honestly going to forgive the fact that they didn't articulate her arms, because the paint job looked REALLY nice and detailed. But once I had a real sample in my hands, I saw that the paint job honestly sucked. I can't really think of anything good to say about the paint, try as I might. It's too bad...

humsup
02-27-2002, 02:19 AM
Well I think I'm a little more lucky as I managed to get a Jango (removable helmet on a EPII blue card) and a bearded Obi Wan Kenobi. My local specialty shop is resourceful enough to bring in the whole wave but I only get these 2 at $11 each.

Beast
02-27-2002, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by humsup
Well I think I'm a little more lucky as I managed to get a Jango (removable helmet on a EPII blue card) and a bearded Obi Wan Kenobi. My local specialty shop is resourceful enough to bring in the whole wave but I only get these 2 at $11 each.
That's cause your in Singapore, little easier and cheaper to get over there. Wish I could find any of the AOTC's figures right now for $11.00, I need a fix. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

humsup
02-27-2002, 02:38 AM
I heard stories of a Jango 3.75" going off of Ebay at the mentioned price - no joke :greedy
This evil thought went through my heard but what the hell, I like Jango and that's why I bought it. And its also because I have a good relationship with the shop owner and he particularly keep one for me even without me asking.
But like many of us here, I would suggest waiting for another 4 - 6 weeks, the market will be flooded with EPII stuffs.
I'm more anxious for the Bo-Shek POTJ wave though. The last POTJ wave.... ... Mu..st... ge..t!!

Beast
02-27-2002, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by humsup
I'm more anxious for the Bo-Shek POTJ wave though. The last POTJ wave.... ... Mu..st... ge..t!!
Amanaman to that, I have two sets of the BoShek wave on it's way. Can't wait to crack those babies open. Excellent figures to be forever remembered as the last of the POTJ figures. Well, unless you consider the preview figures POTJ figures, even though they don't say "Power of the Jedi" on the card.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
02-27-2002, 03:58 AM
Well considering the Sneak Preview Mace Windu isn't considered POTF2/Classic even though it's in the same packaging (I think it is anyway) I don't think you could really count Sneak Previews as part of any line except "Sneak Previews."

yaddle yodas love pu
02-27-2002, 09:51 AM
Sorry to offend some of you (as I know I will with this), but I think that anyone who pays more than $6 (retail) for these E2 figures is a flaming idiot. What, you can't wait 2 weeks for the preview figs? Can wait 6 weeks for the flood of E2 toys that will be upon us? You've waited 3 years for this movie and you cant wait just a few weeks more for the toys. For shame. You are a FOOL for paying 3x - 50x the price for figures that are GARANTEED to be in plentiful supply in a few short weeks. This is the biggest movie toy line of the year. There is no doubt that the first waves will be made available in plentiful supply. Just think how deflated you will feel in just a few weeks when you see hundreds of Shak-Ti and Plo Koon in the bons for $6 each after you paid like $50 for them. Neither you nor anyone else will care that you got to have them a few weeks before they were generally released. You'll feel about as good as the FOOLS who paid $50+ for Darth Maul figures a few weeks before E1. (TRU still cant get rid of these even in the under $2 bins). ALL YOU ARE DOING IS SPENDING YOUR MONEY FOOLISHLY AND ENCOURAGING SCALPING!!!!!!!!

Beast
02-27-2002, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by yaddle yodas love pu
Sorry to offend some of you (as I know I will with this), but I think that anyone who pays more than $6 (retail) for these E2 figures is a flaming idiot. What, you can't wait 2 weeks for the preview figs? Can wait 6 weeks for the flood of E2 toys that will be upon us? You've waited 3 years for this movie and you cant wait just a few weeks more for the toys. For shame. You are a FOOL for paying 3x - 50x the price for figures that are GARANTEED to be in plentiful supply in a few short weeks. This is the biggest movie toy line of the year. There is no doubt that the first waves will be made available in plentiful supply. Just think how deflated you will feel in just a few weeks when you see hundreds of Shak-Ti and Plo Koon in the bons for $6 each after you paid like $50 for them. Neither you nor anyone else will care that you got to have them a few weeks before they were generally released. You'll feel about as good as the FOOLS who paid $50+ for Darth Maul figures a few weeks before E1. (TRU still cant get rid of these even in the under $2 bins). ALL YOU ARE DOING IS SPENDING YOUR MONEY FOOLISHLY AND ENCOURAGING SCALPING!!!!!!!!
Nothing has suggested that the preview figures will be in plentiful supply, though they probably will be. But going by most retailers right now, I worry due to the fact that they hardly order any POTJ, and the preview figures are coming in POTJ case assortments. I know that the figures will be plentiful for the AOTC's line that hits on April 23rd though, thats why I am waiting. I may purchase one figure on-line early just to have somthing early, but thats it. I am not gonna blow my cash on purchasing all the figures at substantial mark-ups. Oh, and this can't really be considered scalping, it's a grey area, due to the fact they haven't been released in stores yet. Therefor, they weren't taken away from people who wanted to buy them, just to make a buck on ebay. They were aquired, mostly overseas at high import fees, not from the local store. Do I agree with the people making money off of the people that have to much cash, and not enough patience. No, but I won't brand them scalpers for it. Remember, it takes two people to scalp also, the scalper, and the scalpee. ;)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

humsup
02-27-2002, 10:57 PM
I have always envy you guys over at the States because you can get figs at quite reasonable retail price. I bought the Jango and Obi Wan at US$11 anyway since our retail also sells at this price. So to speaks, I bought it at retail prices here, nothing lost :)
But if I'm in the States, I'll still buy Jango - at this time - if I see it at $11 since there is no guarantee that I will ever see it again given Hasbro's erratic distribution patterns. So $11 for Jango is still a catch.
I can't possibly took leave from work to just squat outside TRU for it to open and rush in for a Jango given the fact that there may not even be a Jango at all.
But don't misunderstand me, I'm not angry at all... just putting my 2 cents :)

LTBasker
02-27-2002, 11:47 PM
Well now we envy you, you were able to get AOTC figs for $11 and didn't even have to worry about shipping. :p

starwars92590
03-02-2002, 06:33 PM
well since i live a couple towns away from amok time, i know that they have Episode 2 Plo Koon and Episode 2 Battle Droid for $30.00 for both of them, so does anyone think that is a good price. And the point im trying to make is that a couple of websites have pictures of their NEW AOTC Figures and they didn't pay crazy prices for one figure but didn't pay outrageous prices for a whole bunch and still got the figures early. :mad:

Dryanta
03-02-2002, 06:44 PM
I have to admit I was tempted to buy some aotc figures early but I decided not to.Money is an issue.More of an issue than the whole scalper thing.Are they scalpers or temporary oportunists?I don't know really