PDA

View Full Version : TLC A New Hope Wave

DarkJedi5
08-11-2009, 03:25 PM
Hi res photos are out of this wave (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=13&p2_articleid=2323) and I've just gotta say these figs look even better in hi res. Couple questions:

Did they paint R2's blue with glitter paint? I guess it tried to mimic the lightning effects but who would want a clean R2 with a restraining bolt wearing body glitter?

What is wrong with Hrchek Kal Fas' eyes? On the card they're all black and the figure has gold eyes with tiny little beady pupils. Also, his droid part also seems to be glitter painted as well. Are we getting a glittery R4-P44? The slideshow (http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=32234) from Comic-Can kinda looks like it....

And are those little plastic things with Leesub and Hrchek supposed to be glasses for drinks? They look more like the table lights....

Qui-Long Gone
08-11-2009, 03:45 PM
Is that Boba from evolutions? It looks really good and for once it looks like his antena is not curved horribly?

Any look at Solo without the helmet? Does that chest guard come off?

I had no idea that figure was coming out! I'll be hunting him, like a good bounty hunter! :thumbsup:

DarkJedi5
08-11-2009, 03:51 PM
Is that Boba from evolutions? It looks really good and for once it looks like his antena is not curved horribly?

Any look at Solo without the helmet? Does that chest guard come off?

I had no idea that figure was coming out! I'll be hunting him, like a good bounty hunter! :thumbsup:

Technically it's the VOTC Fett. The Evo Fett was the ESB paint app, this one is ROTJ. I would love to see the Evo one on a cardback since mine doesn't have the tampo.... And there are carded pics on other sites that show Solo carded and he's not wearing the chest piece so it is removable. The carded pic also shows him without the helmet and the face sculpt is pretty not so good.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-11-2009, 03:55 PM
These do indeed look pretty good. No shots of Ki-Adi-Mundi or the Jawa yet.

I thought R2-D2 would have different panels, so you could display him with or without the bolt. But I guess you could just put the electricity effect on another figure.

Han looks more like Steve Martin. The stormtrooper helmet is ginormous, but I wasn't planning on displaying him like that anyway. Hopefully they'll do a version with the normal holster, since he seems to look great otherwise (regular-size limbs, SA, etc.).

It'll be nice to finally have a co-pilot Chewie! But why in the hell is he missing a tooth on the card art???

What happened to the Scanning Crew's accessory? I was looking forward to that. I know they were planning on doing a second version, so hopefully that one will have it. The card art makes him look like a damn pedophile. The figure itself looks amazing, though.

I do wonder why they changed Hrchek's eyes. The card art is correct, and the figure is not.

Leesub looks cool. Are those glasses? If so, they're upside-down in the packaging.

EDIT: They keep updating the page.

Boba Fett is the Evolution one, from ESB - look at his green wristbands. The colors are a little richer than the original release, but I'll probably pass on it.

I like that they named Deviss on the package. He's kind of a weird choice for a re-release, but whatever. Padmé and Boba were good choices, I think.

Qui-Long Gone
08-11-2009, 04:01 PM
The Fett's helmet seems to be in good proportion so that's why I didn't think it was VOTC (my big complaint with that almost perfect figure was the helmet proportions and bendy antena)....

I get more depressed by Solo figures!

DarkJedi5
08-11-2009, 05:19 PM
Boba Fett is the Evolution one, from ESB - look at his green wristbands. The colors are a little richer than the original release, but I'll probably pass on it.

Well if you compare the belts on the VOTC and Evo versions it shows that this is clearly the Evo sculpt (on the VOTC the belt pouches come all the way across the front, the Evo does not). However, like you said the color of the gauntlets says ESB, but the helmet color scheme is all wrong for ESB. If this is how they look on the pegs this is a very easy pass.

JediTricks
08-11-2009, 10:50 PM
Hi res photos are out of this wave (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=13&p2_articleid=2323) and I've just gotta say these figs look even better in hi res. Couple questions:

Did they paint R2's blue with glitter paint? I guess it tried to mimic the lightning effects but who would want a clean R2 with a restraining bolt wearing body glitter?I think the glitter is supposed to be more ionization.

What is wrong with Hrchek Kal Fas' eyes? On the card they're all black and the figure has gold eyes with tiny little beady pupils. Yeah, his eyes are hilariously bad. I think they're going for what the back of the eye looked like, but that's not how it appears onscreen.

And are those little plastic things with Leesub and Hrchek supposed to be glasses for drinks? They look more like the table lights....Could be either I guess. Turn them upside-down and they would look more like glasses though.

Is that Boba from evolutions? It looks really good and for once it looks like his antena is not curved horribly?It is, and don't jinx it. :p

Any look at Solo without the helmet? Does that chest guard come off?Page 2 of that gallery has the pic, it's really bad but funny. I updated the link in the opening post to reflect all the pics after putting the pics into the article itself.

Technically it's the VOTC Fett. The Evo Fett was the ESB paint app, this one is ROTJ. I would love to see the Evo one on a cardback since mine doesn't have the tampo.... And there are carded pics on other sites that show Solo carded and he's not wearing the chest piece so it is removable. The carded pic also shows him without the helmet and the face sculpt is pretty not so good.Wrong, this is the Evo mold, look at the hinges in the shoulderpads.

Jawa pics being added right now. Looks very good.

DarkJedi5
08-12-2009, 09:32 AM
Well if you compare the belts on the VOTC and Evo versions it shows that this is clearly the Evo sculpt (on the VOTC the belt pouches come all the way across the front, the Evo does not). However, like you said the color of the gauntlets says ESB, but the helmet color scheme is all wrong for ESB. If this is how they look on the pegs this is a very easy pass.

Wrong, this is the Evo mold, look at the hinges in the shoulderpads.

Yeah we got that settled.... Either way this Fett is a huge disappointment for me.

Kidhuman
08-12-2009, 10:04 AM
I dont know why I like the IG-88 Concept figure so much

Blue2th
08-12-2009, 10:32 AM
I dont know why I like the IG-88 Concept figure so much

He's kinda retro looking, sort of like the Sky Captain robots.

DarkArtist
08-12-2009, 11:41 AM
not really happy that much with this wave. kinda bummed with the weird Han Solo figure, the lack of accessory with the Scanning Trooper (was planning on getting around 6 of this guy) and the R2 I think is a waist of figure. I mean we have a ton of R2's and the recent Endor battlepack gave us a damaged R2 do we really need one now with the electric attachment at the head to re-create the Jawa scene. would rather have had R2 as a build-a-droid and perhaps given us 2 other figures instead of the Han and R2. the rest of the wave looks impressive.

Cane_Adiss
08-12-2009, 11:48 AM
I'm most exited for the cantina aliens, Utai, Ki-Adi and Plo Koon.

Leesub looks amazing, about as good as I'd imagined she'd turn out if they ever made her. And man I'm so glad they did! Glad she's not as pink and comes w/ a blaster as well as a glass. Pons' table would've been nice but oh well. As is she looks like a potential pegwarmer.

H'rchek, despite his glaring (literally) inaccuracies looks pretty cool. It's about time they got to him. I just hope the problems with his eyes and inaccurate costume (the lack of gloves and boots, and incomplete shirt/jacket deco) are going to be addressed by Hasbro. They really took some artistic liberties with this one. Here's hoping for a revision, perhaps under the Sai'torr Kal Fas moniker. I expect this one to be a speedy seller.

Utai i'm assuming will have his companion released at some point a either a running change or it's own numbered release (like the second Ugnaught). But the goggled version coming looks great. He was one of those absolutely necessary figures from ROTS in my book. He may pegwarm, this is one of those figures that you really can't predict though.

Ki-Adi and the IG-88 concepts look pretty neat, and will probably be picking these up. Maybe I'll leave them carded. Probably speedy sellers.

Plo Koon looks amazing, and after this one they better not feel the need to update him yet again as I'm all Plo Kooned out. I still see the Clone Wars and Legends Plos sitting stagnant on the pegs. Despite his cartoon appearance he doesn't seem to be the most popular figure.

JediTricks
08-12-2009, 03:01 PM
Yeah we got that settled.... Either way this Fett is a huge disappointment for me.I don't really understand this "disappointment" claim. You're that bothered by the wrong silver scrapes, isn't that the only difference?

I dont know why I like the IG-88 Concept figure so muchReminds me of Maximilian from The Black Hole.

not really happy that much with this wave. kinda bummed with the weird Han Solo figure, the lack of accessory with the Scanning Trooper (was planning on getting around 6 of this guy) and the R2 I think is a waist of figure. I mean we have a ton of R2's and the recent Endor battlepack gave us a damaged R2 do we really need one now with the electric attachment at the head to re-create the Jawa scene. would rather have had R2 as a build-a-droid and perhaps given us 2 other figures instead of the Han and R2. the rest of the wave looks impressive.Steve and I were just talking about that Scanning Trooper's missing scanner, since at Comic-Con they said there would be a running change, each would come with half of the scanner, one with the top half scene walking into the Falcon, the other with the lower "mover" half it was on top of, and now this with nothing. Annoyed, and it'll keep me waiting for the running change version.

The R2 I like, it's a scene that ends up recognizable a lot, getting blasted like that, but it's not really vital either.

There's no excuse for that wonky Han, and it's now the 2nd Han in stormtrooper belt with a weird head sculpt. I wonder if this one was going to have more armor plates removable.

figrin bran
08-12-2009, 10:20 PM
Boo for making us buy Deviss again just for a BAD piece!

I'll probably be buying a few of the repackaged VOTC Stormies so I'll have extras of that piece.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-12-2009, 10:51 PM
Boo for making us buy Deviss again just for a BAD piece!

I'll probably be buying a few of the repackaged VOTC Stormies so I'll have extras of that piece.
You don't need Deviss - the same piece comes with the co-pilot Chewbacca. As has been the norm for a full year now, they release repacks alongside new figures so you can choose what you want.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-12-2009, 11:15 PM
Reminds me of Maximilian from The Black Hole.I've been thinking the same thing since the beginning.

I think that one picture of Han with the armor on reminds me of a stormtrooper from the Lego game.

figrin bran
08-12-2009, 11:16 PM
You don't need Deviss - the same piece comes with the co-pilot Chewbacca. As has been the norm for a full year now, they release repacks alongside new figures so you can choose what you want.

Ah okay, obviously I didn't look carefully at which pieces came with which figures.

DarkJedi5
08-13-2009, 12:33 AM
I don't really understand this "disappointment" claim. You're that bothered by the wrong silver scrapes, isn't that the only difference?

Silver scrapes have nothing to do with it, I find it disappointing because I was hoping for a straight repack of the Evo figure but with the addition of the chest logo (some one called it a "tampo" somewhere and I have no idea if that's the right word or not but I'll go with it). This figure, assuming that it is an accurate representation of what we will be getting, has a pretty remarkable difference in coloration from the previous release. I would assert that little inaccuracies leave us with a representation of Fett neither as he appeared in ESB or ROTJ. Below are the VOTC (ROTJ), Evo (ESB) and the new TLC Fetts for side by side comparisons.

Qui-Long Gone
08-13-2009, 01:40 PM
^I see...he's a bit too on the Irish green...I wonder if the actual figure will have such a glaring sheen when we see him?

Droid
08-13-2009, 02:36 PM

Man I hope I get a decent option with the EU wave coming. I can't believe I have to buy a wave of EU figures to get a ROTJ Jabba's Palace droid I want. I hope I can buy something like a Chewbacca to get some of the pieces of that droid.

El Chuxter
08-13-2009, 02:43 PM
Is Boba another one of those "vintage homage" toys they're so fond of doing, where they repeat the incorrect coloration of Kenner releases (the TIE being the worst repeat offender)?

Just be glad that it's not like GIJoe, where they actually make HTF variants that aren't errors, but homages to past errors!

Qui-Long Gone
08-13-2009, 04:06 PM
Does anyone know the release dates on these TLC figures (ANH, ROTS, etc.)?

AmanaMatt
08-13-2009, 06:38 PM
Some figs are nice....not overly excited for any of the Cantina Aliens; they are pretty obscure. That said, I will be getting them. I am most excited for the Imperial Scanner dude: just love the detail on him. Getting a non-chromed R2 is also a welcome addition.

Thanks for the Pics, Jt/SirSteve

DarkJedi5
08-13-2009, 06:43 PM
Does anyone know the release dates on these TLC figures (ANH, ROTS, etc.)?

According to the little cards on display at Comic-Con the street dates for these are:
TPM - 8/21
ROTJ - 9/14
ANH - 9/25
ROTS - 10/9
ESB - 10/30

It's gonna be a real sprint to the end of the year with new waves almost every two weeks or so.

*Post #1138*

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-13-2009, 11:08 PM
I quite like having a ton of stuff come out at once, so it's new stuff to buy every time you go to a store (or just waiting for birthday or Christmas, or whatever). Some of their release dates have been early and some late, so who really knows.

JediTricks
08-14-2009, 03:57 AM
I think that one picture of Han with the armor on reminds me of a stormtrooper from the Lego game.It didn't before, but it sure does now for me too.

Silver scrapes have nothing to do with it, I find it disappointing because I was hoping for a straight repack of the Evo figure but with the addition of the chest logo (some one called it a "tampo" somewhere and I have no idea if that's the right word or not but I'll go with it). This figure, assuming that it is an accurate representation of what we will be getting, has a pretty remarkable difference in coloration from the previous release. I would assert that little inaccuracies leave us with a representation of Fett neither as he appeared in ESB or ROTJ. Below are the VOTC (ROTJ), Evo (ESB) and the new TLC Fetts for side by side comparisons."Tampo" is short for tampograph, and it is the method of printing used in a situation like this, it's a cross between sticker, paint, and stamping methods.

I don't see this claim that he's not ESB-accurate though. Aside from the scrape patterns, the colors on both the Evo and this basic reissue of it look pretty ESB-accurate (and, I might add, the Evo and this basic are using the SAME deco schemes for the most part, the scrapes on the helmets even match up). I don't see a difference between the basic and this new release, aside from RS's photography being on a darker background and lit less uniformly than Hasbro's pro photography. Are you on about the shade of green on the armor? I don't know that it's a significant departure, the armor in the film may not be quite that shade but it's at least as close as the low-contrast green of the Evo figure. Compare: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:Lando11.jpg

Is Boba another one of those "vintage homage" toys they're so fond of doing, where they repeat the incorrect coloration of Kenner releases (the TIE being the worst repeat offender)?

Just be glad that it's not like GIJoe, where they actually make HTF variants that aren't errors, but homages to past errors!No, this isn't another Pimp Daddy Destro. :p

Does anyone know the release dates on these TLC figures (ANH, ROTS, etc.)?Late September and Early October.

*Post #1138*Nicely done!

Old Fossil
08-14-2009, 08:44 AM
I like most of these, except the Han. Won't be getting that one. Love the Trandoshan-type alien, even if it is inaccurate. Would make a great template for custom work.

Will definitely be getting the concept art figures to keep MOC. Been doing that since the TAC issues; they're the only figures I collect MOC anymore.

DarkJedi5
08-14-2009, 09:48 AM
I don't see this claim that he's not ESB-accurate though. Aside from the scrape patterns, the colors on both the Evo and this basic reissue of it look pretty ESB-accurate (and, I might add, the Evo and this basic are using the SAME deco schemes for the most part, the scrapes on the helmets even match up). I don't see a difference between the basic and this new release, aside from RS's photography being on a darker background and lit less uniformly than Hasbro's pro photography. Are you on about the shade of green on the armor? I don't know that it's a significant departure, the armor in the film may not be quite that shade but it's at least as close as the low-contrast green of the Evo figure. Compare: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/File:Lando11.jpg

Your photo there does suggest that there should be more contrast between the armor color and the smock underneath than the Evo figure displayed and which is certainly what we're getting with the Greatest Hits figure. I suppose that there are still two points that concern me about this figure, one is relatively minor and it is the helmet paint pattern. It looks like the part directly under the red t-visor is a dark green where most photos would have it as black. I know there are other photos that show it as a very dark green color (this seems to be the case for a lot of the costumes being one color in person but looking another on film) but I think either way the figure looks too light. The other and more major point is it seems that they used a glitter paint on this one. Actually, it seems like a few figures in the wave (R2 and the R4 build a droid) both have a health dose of glitter paint and so I'm hoping that maybe it's a new trick they're using to enhance the photos. Otherwise I don't want a body-glitter Boba Fett.

JediTricks
08-14-2009, 05:06 PM
It looks very dark green to me in the source photo, but this new figure is not capturing that depth, so I agree on that.

However, this claim of glitter-paint is wrong I think, this figure is using the same silver paint dry-brushing that the Evo figure did. I'm not sure if they're using a green metallic color for the torso armor paint, but it doesn't look like it based on the lower left corner of the chest plate.

Adam
08-15-2009, 01:27 AM
Man I hope I get a decent option with the EU wave coming. I can't believe I have to buy a wave of EU figures to get a ROTJ Jabba's Palace droid I want. I hope I can buy something like a Chewbacca to get some of the pieces of that droid.

You can buy the B-A-D from me if you want. I want all the figures in that wave but don't really care about the droid.

Droid
08-15-2009, 09:43 AM
You can buy the B-A-D from me if you want. I want all the figures in that wave but don't really care about the droid.

That would be great! PM me!

Qui-Long Gone
08-18-2009, 10:06 AM
Has the Resurgence of the Jedi pack caught anyone's attention?

The Luke looks promising, maybe the best they'll achieve with that figure, so I'll probably buy it just for him.

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=13&p2_articleid=2339

sebillba
08-18-2009, 11:04 AM
Yeah, I'm really looking forward to this set, mainly for the Luke - I've wanted a definitive Luke for so long. It's still not perfect - looks like VOTC legs (which are a tad small) on the TAC body with a new head, but it's probably the best we'll get. Seeing the close-up shots, I'm also a little worried that the head might be painted in flesh tones rather than cast in flesh colured plastic, which I always think looks really cheap.

DarkJedi5
08-18-2009, 11:10 AM
The only thing I have against this set is that while the fixed TLC Obi-Wan's neck, they didn't give him a right hand that can hold a lightsaber. Still waiting on them to fix that! Everything else looks good.

Old Fossil
08-18-2009, 12:04 PM
Yeah, I'll be getting this set. All the figures are superior, especially Luke. Hope to see that one individually carded at some point.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-18-2009, 05:39 PM
The only thing I have against this set is that while the fixed TLC Obi-Wan's neck, they didn't give him a right hand that can hold a lightsaber. Still waiting on the to fix that! Everything else looks good.
Where did you see they fixed his neck? I can't tell anything from the pictures.

But I'm also looking forward to this set, if a little annoyed that Obi-Wan is the same one we JUST got a few months ago. R2-D2 and Luke make up for that, though. C-3PO is just gravy.

Rik Duel
08-18-2009, 06:08 PM
I'll probably get it, although I think 3PO should be a lot dirtier. I wonder if the Luke will end up on a card with the stormtrooper belt to go with the Han coming up.

DarkJedi5
08-18-2009, 10:50 PM
The only thing I have against this set is that while the fixed TLC Obi-Wan's neck, they didn't give him a right hand that can hold a lightsaber. Still waiting on them to fix that! Everything else looks good.

Where did you see they fixed his neck? I can't tell anything from the pictures.

But I'm also looking forward to this set, if a little annoyed that Obi-Wan is the same one we JUST got a few months ago. R2-D2 and Luke make up for that, though. C-3PO is just gravy.

Thought I read it in someone's impressions after seeing it in person at Comic-Con. I couldn't tell from the photos myself. I guess I could be wrong.

Old Fossil
08-19-2009, 07:28 AM
What's wrong with the neck on that Obi-Wan?

DarkJedi5
08-19-2009, 09:42 AM
What's wrong with the neck on that Obi-Wan?

The torso on TLC Ben is actually the one from the VOTC figure recycled. The problem was that on the VOTC figure the head just a swivel post with limited articulation. On the TLC one, to give it the ball jointed standard articulation we've all come to expect, they put a next post in the torso and then put a ball joint on that. So in reality the neck is it's own piece. This isn't a huge problem, it just doesn't necessarily look as nice.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-19-2009, 12:31 PM
I think it allows for good articulation, but it's so damn skinny that it looks weird.

sebillba
08-19-2009, 03:30 PM
Also the neck mine is really floppy.

Old Fossil
08-19-2009, 03:35 PM
Okay, then. I had no idea this was an issue for some.

JediTricks
08-20-2009, 07:04 PM
Has the Resurgence of the Jedi pack caught anyone's attention?

The Luke looks promising, maybe the best they'll achieve with that figure, so I'll probably buy it just for him.

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=13&p2_articleid=2339That R2 is the first R2-D2 based on the R4-G9 mold (the central leg that withdraws into the body when you turn the dome and doesn't have chrome), so there are 2 really good reasons to buy this set. I wish I hadn't bought that second Obi-Wan though, since I didn't need a 3rd one, but oh well.

Qui-Long Gone
08-21-2009, 09:21 AM
I too wish I had not got that Obi Wan now that I'll have two....:rolleyes:...all four of these look terrific but I really only need Luke and R2....