PDA

View Full Version : Sears back in toys?

El Chuxter
08-12-2009, 01:02 PM
So, first they dumped them. Then they contracted with KB to have toy departments that were more expensive than KB stores. Then they got very small toy departments when K-Mart took over, and K-Marts that became "Sears Essentials" kept their old cruddy toy departments.

Now it's announced (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=10&p2_articleid=2325) they're bringing back rather large toy departments in 20 stores, I guess on a trial basis.

Keeping in mind that the K-Mart/Sears merger didn't result in nice stores with good quality merchandise and decent prices, but fleatraps that smell like crap and charge as much as three times retail for their cruddy garbage, how well do you expect this to work? I don't foresee a lot of people saying, "Hey! I just found the ANH wave at Sears, and it was only $11 per figure, so I snatched them all up!"

Why doesn't this mess of a retail chain just give up the ghost and stop urinating on two formerly decent names in American business?

pbarnard
08-12-2009, 01:05 PM
Cuz if they liquidate you know we're all lining up to buy Craftsman riding lawn mowers, table saws etc.

Ji'dai
08-12-2009, 01:45 PM
My Sears carries toys during the holiday shopping season. It's usually only two shelving units worth. IIRC, Star Wars figures were competively priced with TRU. I don't remember any substantial markup on LEGO either.

With two Walmarts, one Kmart, and one TRU, I'd welcome another store that carries toys. Hopefully the Sears store here is part of the 20 in the experiment and will also carry LEGO along with Hasbro product.

El Chuxter
08-12-2009, 02:15 PM
If your Sears and K-Marts have reasonable prices, you are a very lucky man. I've seen quite a few items come to K-Mart for about $2-$5 more than normal retail (not unreasonable on some more expensive things) and slowly inch up over a year until they're selling for double or even triple retail. Then they go on "clearance" for about 10% more than they were initially!

It does seem that inconsistency is one of the traits of the new Sears/K-Mart, so I can totally buy it when you say your local Sears has normal prices.

Ji'dai
08-12-2009, 09:53 PM
I didn't say my Kmart had reasonable pricing. Their action figures are significantly higher than other stores. LEGO is still competitively priced there though, and until the last week or so, prices were approximately MSRP. (After they did their holiday reset, prices on most sets jumped a dollar or two, much like at Walmart).

The toys I saw at Sears last holiday season were competitive with TRU, but slightly higher than Walmart. They only carry toys during the fourth quarter though.

If my store does install a permanent toy department, I can see them charging higher than normal prices because the whole rationale for this experiment is to fill that niche left by closure of KB Toys, which represented the small specialty boutique/toy store. Kmart/Sears is probably wagering they'll get away with higher prices because consumers expect to pay higher prices at the mall anyway, which is considered more "upscale" with it's boutiques and specialty shops, than they would at a larger chain or discount department store.

Darth Jax
08-12-2009, 09:58 PM
i'm always surprised that kmart prices are higher than target or wm, considering that when kmart closed stores several years ago the only ones to survive seemed to be in depressed socio-economic areas (least round these parts here that's what happened).

does this mean the return of the sears catalog at christmas time, or has the price of postage and the availability of the internet mean that it's a thing of the past.

Ji'dai
08-13-2009, 09:04 AM
Sears still has their Craftsman Tool Catalog and JC Penny still has a catalog (at least as of last year). I think the catalogs of old, with their exclusive toy offerings, are a thing of the past though.

Darth Awgmon
08-13-2009, 11:43 AM
K Mart is usually higher on their pricing, but they have some great clearance deals from time to time. K Mart clearanced all of their 25th style GI Joes a few weeks back for $4 each, comic packs were $8, and the Joe, Cobra, and Cobra Legions 5-packs were priced at $24. DVD packs were also at $24. They had an additional 20% off clearanced toys for a week, then the next week that went all the way to 50% off clearance price! I picked up all the single card Joe figs I could find for $2 each, comic packs for $4 each, and 5-packs and dvd packs were $12 each. Also picked up some SW Evolutions sets for $9.50 each and the sw exclusive tin sets were $12. With 6 K Marts within 25 miles, I really cleaned up.
Hopefully if Sears does make a full return to the toy market, they will follow K Mart's aggressive approach at moving their toys once they reach clearance prices. You may have to let the stuff sit on the shelf awhile, but there are eventually great deals to be had, usually in the summer and then again after Christmas.

pbarnard
08-13-2009, 12:08 PM
Gee, $24 clearance for GI Joe 5 packs that were originally, $24 at other places and the DVD packs which are $20 bucks at other places is so much a good deal.

Darth Awgmon
08-13-2009, 12:33 PM
50% off of the crappy clearance price gives you $12 for the original Joe 5 packs and dvd packs. I think that is a pretty good deal.

El Chuxter
08-13-2009, 12:47 PM
My local K-Mart had the GIJoe DVD packs on clearance for $26.

pbarnard
08-13-2009, 12:58 PM
50% off of the crappy clearance price gives you $12 for the original Joe 5 packs and dvd packs. I think that is a pretty good deal.

The point is their intial clearance price IS THE ACTUAL PRICE. I paid 50% off those prices at Target when they actually CLEARANCE things from their REGULAR prices.

Darth Jax
08-13-2009, 07:08 PM
i never have luck with target clearances. by the time they get ready to mark things 50% or more, there isn't anything gi joe or star wars left. the one exception was the recent markdown on mighty muggs. they had hundreds of biggs.

since nobody shops at kmart i might have better luck there, but that would involve going into the store. something i try to limit to once a year.

Ji'dai
08-13-2009, 10:36 PM
My Kmart's clearance items tend to stagnate for a long, long time at one price. The first GI JOE DVD pack has been yellow-tagged at $21 for quite a while now. I paid less than that when it was first released. The 25th figs were marked down to $4, but they only had a handful to begin with. I've been waiting on the 25th vehicles to drop in price, but they're still $17, full price.

Qui-Long Gone
08-14-2009, 03:33 PM
I always found steals in Southwest Ohio, but West Texas...not so much.... :cry::rolleyes: