PDA

View Full Version : Summer Concerts

Qui-Long Gone
08-13-2009, 03:05 PM
My wife and I are catching the U2 306 tour in October (with the Black Eyed Peas)! Can't wait...I missed the Vertigo tour but caught them twice during the Elevation tour (once on Bono's birthday)....:thumbsup:

I'm not a big concert going fan...babysitter's are $$$. I missed Willie, Dylan, and Mellencamp last week but didn't plan to see that concert in the first place...:rolleyes:

What concerts did you see this summer, or are planning yet to see?

El Chuxter
08-13-2009, 03:27 PM
I saw actually Willie, John, and Bob last night, and it was an amazing show. I've seen Willie before, and his set list is a little on the predictable side, since the rednecks that make up the bulk of his fans don't want anything more than the hits, but he worked "Still Is Still Moving to Me" in, so I can't complain. Bob did a great "all business" set, with no chatter, focusing mostly on newer stuff. The older stuff he did was heavily re-worked, with a take on "Highway 61" as a Southern rock boogie being the best of his set. Mellencamp was the best of the three, with several lesser-known hits being worked in (I was surprised to hear "Paper in Fire", "Cherry Bomb", and "Check It Out"), and he even had the cajones to leave out "Jack and Diane."

The opening band was billed as Wilco, but turned out to be a group I hadn't heard of called the Wiyos. (It was a sort of last-minute venue change, which is probably the reason for that.) They were a sort of alternative/country group, and did great versions of Blind Willie McTell and Little Walter numbers in addition to some cool original stuff.

Didn't have to worry about a babysitter; my daughter's favorite song is "On the Road Again," so I wasn't going to make her miss that. And, besides, three of the best living songwriters at one time is as "cultural" as going to see a Shakespeare play she wouldn't be able to understand yet.

Rocketboy
08-13-2009, 04:26 PM
Got to see Stone Temple Pilots on my birthday last month. My third time seeing them (and first time in 9 years) They are easily the best live band I have ever seen and they sound as great as ever. Despite being my favorite band I'm not being totally biased - I've seen them turn casual (or non) fans into fans simply based on a concert. Got to meet some great people I've known for years on an STP fansite and stood right up front without the typical rock concerts problems of shoving and pushing.

Last Friday I saw Sponge, Seven Mary Three & Days of the New about a mile away from my house. Sponge was OK, 7M3 sounded great and DotN were pretty good.

Those were the first concerts I've been to in quite a while.

JimJamBonds
08-13-2009, 05:09 PM
Last Saturday I saw The Gin Blossom's (just their last 3 songs or so), Eddie Money and Everclear (we left before Puddle of Mud went on stage).

Darth Jax
08-13-2009, 05:50 PM
i'll be seeing Richard Cheese on his farewell stop in denver.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-13-2009, 05:59 PM
I saw actually Willie, John, and Bob last night, and it was an amazing show. Mellencamp was the best of the three, with several lesser-known hits being worked in (I was surprised to hear "Paper in Fire", "Cherry Bomb", and "Check It Out"), and he even had the cajones to leave out "Jack and Diane."

The opening band was billed as Wilco, but turned out to be a group I hadn't heard of called the Wiyos. (It was a sort of last-minute venue change, which is probably the reason for that.) I've seen Mr. Nelson as well; interesting crowds. Those are some of my favorite JC/JCM/JM songs! I'd also include "Authority Song" and "Wild Night."

Sad, how the lack of SpellCheck could've informed the public preoperly...

What did I see this summer? A local band (that included a teacher from my school) that does rock covers; they were at a charity event.

I will be seeing the SW in Concert in Anaheim in October. Looking forward to it.

DarthQuack
08-13-2009, 06:08 PM
Saw Bruce Springsteen back in May....had awesome floor seats in the pit, was 15 feet from the Boss!!

Going to see him again in 2 weeks at Saratoga Performing Arts Center (SPAC), for those that know upstate New York! :thumbsup:

And once more on October 2nd down at Giants Stadium.

It's been a great summer for me so far!

JimJamBonds
08-14-2009, 07:36 PM
I forgot to add that way back on the last day of May I saw the Spinal Tap/A Mighty Wind boys on their "Unwigged and Unplugged Tour" (the concert was recorded and will be coming out Sep. 1st if anybody is intersted in seeing either myself or Caesar).

Maradona
08-14-2009, 07:47 PM
I saw Judas Priest with Whitesnake a couple of weeks ago. Rob's voice still holds up very well. They played all of British Steel, along with several other tunes from there catalogue. A few days ago, I saw the Dio version of Black Sabbath. Their set was strong, but short and sadly did not include "Sign of the Southern Cross" or any of Dio or the band's material from other incarnations. This Sunday, I'll be seeing Depeche Mode at the Hollywood Bowl.

JimJamBonds
08-17-2009, 08:53 PM
I forgot to add that I saw the Spinal Tap/A Mighty Wind boys "Unwigged and Unplugged" on the last day of May (awesome show btw!!!).

2-1B
08-17-2009, 09:08 PM
Saw Bruce Springsteen back in May....had awesome floor seats in the pit, was 15 feet from the Boss!!

Going to see him again in 2 weeks at Saratoga Performing Arts Center (SPAC), for those that know upstate New York! :thumbsup:

And once more on October 2nd down at Giants Stadium.

It's been a great summer for me so far!

I'm going in November, it'll be my 4th time baptized in the waters of E Street!!!

I took down the following:

Buckcherry
Spinal Tap Unwigged (as mentioned by JimJam)
Taylor Swift
Aerosmith
KISS
Kenny Chesney

and my other Aerosmith show next week is cancelled due to Steven Tyler's accident in Sturgis. :(