PDA

View Full Version : Let's do a poll on Funeral Pyre Vader!

Droid
08-14-2009, 12:58 PM
Dear Powers That Be,

I would suggest that since Hasbro asked for our input that we do a poll on the Funeral Pyre Vader. I propose one of the real polls like we used to do where you actually clicked a box to vote. Some sites are doing a "would you buy this" poll where you could vote, yes, no, maybe, depends on price, etc. I personally am not crazy about the funeral pyre Vader, but assume most of us would vote yes we would buy it.

I think it would be more interesting to have a poll that allowed voters to pick which one of a number of sets they would rather have. It would be fine to do one based on the prequel trilogy, but I would suggest for now we focus on the original trilogy so we are more accurately comparing apples to apples.

How about, "Which of these would you rather see Hasbro make? Vote for one."

1. Wuher and cantina distillery
2. A cantina booth set to recreate Han and Greedo's confrontation
3. Torryn Farr and her ion cannon control console
4. Han Solo in Carobinte block that fully encases a Han Solo figure
5. Jabba the Hutt's dais
6. The funeral pyre set with Luke and Vader

People could throw out other ideas of "deluxe-ish" figures. I think many, many of us would buy a funeral Pyre Vader, but I think it would more interesting to show Hasbro where that really ranks for us.

TeeEye7
08-14-2009, 01:13 PM
Wow! I really like the Torryn Farr possibility!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-14-2009, 01:54 PM
They're allowing him to be included in the poll we're doing, but that might not be enough. I'd definitely be good with a yes/no poll as well.

Qui-Long Gone
08-14-2009, 02:31 PM
Vote Funeral Pyre Vader before someone adds library action collection Jocasta Nu!

DarkJedi5
08-14-2009, 02:57 PM
I'd say that sort of poll clouds the issue. Hasbro wasn't asking us which imaginary possible sets we would prefer over Funeral Pyre Vader. They were asking us if we were interested. I think we should give them a straight yes/no/yes with some changes kind of poll and give them the raw data trying to get as many people to vote just so we don't say that 7 out of the 10 SSG collectors polled would buy this item (cause there's no way those are the sales figures they are hoping for).

Actually, I think the first step would be to ask Hasbro for some high resolution photos and a description of the figures and features. There are questions that need answers like, which Luke is that? Which Vader? Does Vader even come out of the pyre? Are there lights? Sounds? Is it possible to tweak things based on fan feedback? Things like that, then us collectors can make an informed and wise decision.

JediTricks
08-14-2009, 03:39 PM
There are lights and sounds, no music. I took 2 short videos, Steve's gonna try to post them in the news soon.

As for a poll, I don't see a lot of excitement about this set yet, so I'm not inclined to start a poll until we see more discussion on the set itself.

DarkJedi5 is totally right that we just need to let Hasbro know what we think about this set, not cloud the issue with talk of other fantasy sets.

Personally, I think it's a cool set.

El Chuxter
08-14-2009, 03:51 PM
I want it, I imagine a majority of collectors want it, and I'd be willing to bet Hasbro knows we want it. I bet they're fishing for info on whether it should be a store exclusive, online exclusive, or convention exclusive.

JediTricks
08-14-2009, 04:24 PM
Hasbro doesn't have a clue if we actually would be willing to buy it, from what I could tell. That's the thing, we don't talk about it much, we say we want stuff but there's nothing backing that up.

El Chuxter
08-14-2009, 04:30 PM
I, for one, buy one of anything I ask for, unless they majorly screw the pooch or pack it into a really expensive Endor BattlePack, but, no, I'm not bitter about not getting that cool-looking black Ewok.

Maerj2000
08-14-2009, 04:35 PM
Depending on how good of a job they do with it, I'd buy as least one. I'd love to see the video of it and/or pics.

As for the fantasy sets, anything Cantina is desireable. If they made a Han vs Greedo booth with all the details, I'd want enough of them to build a whole Cantina out of it.

LTBasker
08-14-2009, 04:36 PM
I find the set to be interesting, and I think it's an excellent work of sculpting - especially with the flames depicting being caught in the wind. I'd love to have a piece replicating that scene, however I wouldn't buy this. I think they really missed capturing the emotional impact of it.

As I said, the detailing of the pyre is excellent, especially the extensive sculpted flames which beautifully phase into different colors. The wood detail is a bit lacking, but still decent. The Vader, however, looks... mundane. It's as though they simply plopped a random Vader figure down in there. I really think they should redo it so he looks consumed by the flames.

In fact, the one aspect that I would require to be present if I were to ever buy a funeral pyre depiction of Vader would be the flames coming out of the interior sides of the helmet. That close-up that we see of him burning, with the flames subtly flowing from inside the helmet along the seam of the mask... That is what I always picture when I think of the scene. That shot has always held such overwhelming emotional depth to it, that to go without it in any sort of replication should be considered a crime.

Here's a reference pic (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y106/Jedigreedo/FuneralVader.jpg).

Hasbro's flames, though, are barely on Vader himself. It looks too much like a generic playset that's meant for you to have a pyro funeral for any figure you want. That level of cheesiness simply ruins the entire meaning of the scene.

Also, I really think it should have the music. That's another vital piece of the scene that - while not as severe as the helmet bit - would be a shame to pass on.

bigbarada
08-14-2009, 04:52 PM
I'm not going to say that Hasbro shouldn't make it, but I would not buy it.

sith_killer_99
08-14-2009, 05:01 PM
As for the fantasy sets, anything Cantina is desireable. If they made a Han vs Greedo booth with all the details, I'd want enough of them to build a whole Cantina out of it.

^ This

Cantina set would go well with the bar sets they gave us some years ago, and new booths would be possible multiple buys. Better yet, they could throw in a few kit bashed aliens multi-pack sets like they did with the bar sets.

Yes, I would buy the Funeral Pyre Vader, and I have not purchased any Hasbro stuff for my collection in a few years.:twisted:

dr_evazan22
08-14-2009, 06:02 PM
Yeah, I'd buy this as it was shown at CC. I thought it was a done deal.:sad:

DarkJedi5
08-14-2009, 06:14 PM
For those who saw this in person, did they show you that the Vader comes out? I mean, would it be possible to slip in other figures? Like Qui-Gon? Padme? Or perhaps Jar Jar?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-14-2009, 06:54 PM
Also, I really think it should have the music. That's another vital piece of the scene that - while not as severe as the helmet bit - would be a shame to pass on.
I agree on the music. That's one of my favorite cues from the entire saga, and it would certainly be more interesting than a generic fire crackling sound. If they can do the entire exchange between Vader and Palpatine from ESB, they can certainly do this. They also did the cantina band music for that Disney exclusive band member a while back, so music can't be that much of an issue. Then again, as it's just a display piece, really, I can't see myself activating the sounds a whole lot, so whatever.

That's really my only note/complaint. I think it looks fantastic otherwise.

Droid
08-14-2009, 06:56 PM
I guess what bothers me is that I see a repeat of past mistakes coming down the road. They are going to produce a "deluxe set". It won't be the set people would have most wanted. Some of us will pass because it isn't our bag. Other people will pass saying, "Well, I would have bought it, but it wasn't perfect so I passed." Then Hasbro will say, "I guess people don't want deluxe sets" and then will close the door to future sets.

Look at the Episode II arena or Mustafar sets. They weren't movie accurate for dioramas and weren't particularly fun toys, so the collectors and the kids both had a good reason to pass.

If they say, "Do you want this?" why can't we respond, "I'd rather have a cantina distillery."

And as for the cantina booth. Make a booth that is big enough for Luke, Han, Ben, and Chewie to sit in. Sell it with a Han and a Greedo. If it is movie accurate, and doesn't have some cannon with missles molded to the table I will buy six or so of them. And I won't complain that I have to buy a Han and a Greedo. I promise. Collectors can put it in a diorama and may buy several. Kids can enjoy the fun of creating a movie scene with a main character and an alien.

I bought the Sarlaac and the homestead. They aren't perfect, but they are the best we'll see and I'm glad to have them. And I want to encourage the larger set pieces. But I don't think this set looks particularly well done. I don't think it will attract kids even with the main characters being in there since Vader is "dead" and Luke is holding a torch. And I don't think it would be at the top of many people's major set pieces list.

I think at a minimum the poll should say: would you but the funeral pyre set:

1. Yes, absolutlely
2. Not if it doesn't look better than the prototype
3. Not if its over $25
4. Not if its over $30
5. Not if its over $40
6. I'd rather have a different large set piece and would pass.
7. I'd rather have a different large set piece, but would probably buy it.

JediTricks
08-14-2009, 11:18 PM
For those who saw this in person, did they show you that the Vader comes out? I mean, would it be possible to slip in other figures? Like Qui-Gon? Padme? Or perhaps Jar Jar?I didn't notice, but I wasn't paying attention when they moved it. Good idea though.

I agree on the music. That's one of my favorite cues from the entire saga, and it would certainly be more interesting than a generic fire crackling sound. If they can do the entire exchange between Vader and Palpatine from ESB, they can certainly do this. They also did the cantina band music for that Disney exclusive band member a while back, so music can't be that much of an issue. Then again, as it's just a display piece, really, I can't see myself activating the sounds a whole lot, so whatever.

That's really my only note/complaint. I think it looks fantastic otherwise.The music of cantina band for the Disney exclusive band member and on the Galactic Heroes pack was the very example they used as to why it was SO difficult to get music in general, that was extremely problematic and added to the end costs.

The music is a different licensing issue from the dialogue and I think from the full scene of the Palpatine/Vader piece.

Old Fossil
08-15-2009, 12:23 AM
I would definitely buy it... as long as it wasn't over $30.

Darth Jax
08-15-2009, 07:52 AM
i'd buy all of the sets mentioned in the first post, EXCEPT funeral pyre vader. i don't see any reason for it.

you want a funeral vader, take a removable helmet vader and lay him on some lincoln logs.

Devo
08-15-2009, 12:36 PM
I'd buy the set if it makes it into the line. Its a huge moment in the OT and I think it deserves some sort of commemoration even in this 'toy' line.

I'd also buy a few sets mentioned by the OP but it'd be aswell rather than 'instead'.

Qui-Long Gone
08-15-2009, 04:53 PM
To help with the Funeral Pyre campaign, we'll do a song:
Everyone sing along...

:oThe time to hesitate is through
For a toy we can all admire
In the box or maybe loose
We all want a Vader funeral pyre
Come on Hasbro light that fire,
Come on Luke light dad's fire,
Try to make Vader on FIARRRRE. :o

Cane_Adiss
08-17-2009, 12:14 AM
I think this set looks interesting, and might just buy it depending on availability and price. $25 is usually my limit on items such as these. I'd have to really fall in love with it to spend more.

That said, I think id have to change my pants if Hasbro announced a Cantina Booth set. I would absolutely go nuts for one of those, assuming (and hoping) it would be to scale. I would of course have to pick up several, and dealing with the duplicate figures (weren't there several "Greedo" type Rodians in the cantina anyway?) would be a necessary nuisance but well worth it. Oh and give us a distillary with a revised "curve" piece for the bar. That would be swell.

Jabba's dias (and spit) would be awesome as well, and I fully expect that Hasbro intends to deliver these eventually.

Another set that would be neat is the outside door of Jabba's palace, complete with the TT-8L droid, a Worrt, C-3PO and R2 and maybe a B'omarr monk and Gamorrean Guard. That would be a killer battle pack!

Dice Ibegon
08-17-2009, 03:17 AM
I seriously doubt I would buy this, got enough Vaders to last me a lifetime. Also, I am not sure that it is really suitable for a kids toy.

pbarnard
08-17-2009, 09:45 AM
As an online exclusive sure. IF they're dumb enough to release it wide to the stores, well to import a saying from the GI Joe boards...Deth o' da line!!!!

Devo
08-17-2009, 05:46 PM
I am not sure that it is really suitable for a kids toy.

I don't care whats suitable for a kids toy, I want this. Kids aren't the only audience for this stuff.

DarkJedi5
08-17-2009, 05:59 PM
As an online exclusive sure. IF they're dumb enough to release it wide to the stores, well to import a saying from the GI Joe boards...Deth o' da line!!!!

I don't care whats suitable for a kids toy, I want this. Kids aren't the only audience for this stuff.

Not to mention how many online exclusives or comic-con exclusive do you think most kids get?

Tycho
08-18-2009, 02:19 AM
This is an interesting list of ideas. I would fully buy ALL OF THEM.

I've really wanted the Ultimate Han Solo in Carbonite Block for a long time actually.

Jabba's dais would bevery welcome, too.

5. Jabba the Hutt's dais

Qui-Long Gone
08-18-2009, 08:54 AM
This is an interesting list of ideas. I would fully buy ALL OF THEM.

I've really wanted the Ultimate Han Solo in Carbonite Block for a long time actually.

Jabba's dais would bevery welcome, too.

5. Jabba the Hutt's dais

I'll take one of each of those...

DarkArtist
08-20-2009, 10:20 AM
i'd drop the dough on a Funeral Pyre set... been wanting one ever since ROTJ first played on the silver screen back in '83.

dindae
03-24-2010, 08:58 AM
I was wondering if Hasbro ever said what they decided on this. Did they see enough support or decided in a year of cutting back it wasn't worth the risk?

DarkArtist
03-24-2010, 11:15 AM
Dear Powers That Be,

I would suggest that since Hasbro asked for our input that we do a poll on the Funeral Pyre Vader. I propose one of the real polls like we used to do where you actually clicked a box to vote. Some sites are doing a "would you buy this" poll where you could vote, yes, no, maybe, depends on price, etc. I personally am not crazy about the funeral pyre Vader, but assume most of us would vote yes we would buy it.

I think it would be more interesting to have a poll that allowed voters to pick which one of a number of sets they would rather have. It would be fine to do one based on the prequel trilogy, but I would suggest for now we focus on the original trilogy so we are more accurately comparing apples to apples.

How about, "Which of these would you rather see Hasbro make? Vote for one."

5. Jabba the Hutt's dais

People could throw out other ideas of "deluxe-ish" figures. I think many, many of us would buy a funeral Pyre Vader, but I think it would more interesting to show Hasbro where that really ranks for us.

I'd go for all of them but I really want the Funeral Pyre Set....

My List would go like this:
1.) Funeral Pyre with Vader and Luke
2.) Cantina Booth for Greedo and Han
3.) Han Solo Carbonite Block
4.) Torryn Farr / ion cannon
5.) Wuher and Cantina
6.) Jabba's Dais