PDA

View Full Version : World Athletics Championships (Track & Field)

Mad Slanted Powers
08-14-2009, 07:52 PM
Saturday is the start of the 12th IAAF World Championships in Athletics. They will be taking place in Berlin from August 15-23. I'm looking forward to the action.

This weekend will have the big matchup between Jamaica's Usain Bolt, and American Tyson Gay. Gay is the defending champion in the 100 meters and 200 meters, but was hurt and unable to compete last year when Bolt blew away the competition and the world records. Gay has the leading times in both events this year, but has been dealing with a groin injury. Bolt, meanwhile has made his fast times look easy.

Other finals on Saturday will be the mens 20 Km Race Walk, the women's 10,000 meters, and the men's shot put. Also, it will be day one of the women's heptathlon. Coming from a distance runner background, I'm looking forward to the 10,000. The American's have a couple contenders with Amy Yoder Begley and Shalane Flanagan, the latter having won a bronze medal in the event at the Olympics last year. The American men have 4 competitors in the shot put because Reese Hoffa gets an automatic entry for being the defending champion. Adam Nelson and Christian Cantwell should contend for medals as well.

JimJamBonds
08-14-2009, 08:37 PM
Cool there is another track and field fan on the forums here. Good to know MSP!

Mad Slanted Powers
08-14-2009, 10:11 PM
Cool there is another track and field fan on the forums here. Good to know MSP!
Now if only I can start running more than once a week.

I seem to recall BCJ showing some interesting in the sport before, but I can't remember for sure.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-16-2009, 06:30 PM
Yeah, t&f gets my juices flowing at some times. I didn't catch anything live, just highlights this time. I have just a couple digits to list:

Wow. And second place was an awesome 9.71 seconds, which was .13 behind?!? Just mind-boggling...

pbarnard
08-16-2009, 07:11 PM
At that level that's what is called a severe beating.

Not a fan to watch. I ran track through my freshman year of college, and sorry, I was bored to tears at meets.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-16-2009, 07:38 PM
Yeah, t&f gets my juices flowing at some times. I didn't catch anything live, just highlights this time. I have just a couple digits to list:

Wow. And second place was an awesome 9.71 seconds, which was .13 behind?!? Just mind-boggling...
If Gay had been able to run that at the Olympics last year, it would have been a close race. He gave it a good go, but Bolt just seems untouchable. When someone with that height is able to get good enough turnover and put all the other elements together, it's almost unfair.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-17-2009, 07:19 PM
And Bolt says his goal is 9.4 seconds, too. Wow.

JimJamBonds
08-17-2009, 09:51 PM
Now if only I can start running more than once a week.

The key is getting into a pattern, once you do that it makes getting out their much easier. I'm actually in training for a marathon next month so I typically run 4 times a week, and since I've developed a routine its not all that hard at all for me to go out there and run. Although with work etc. I wish I was running better times but that is another discussion for another time and/or thread. :D

2-1B
08-17-2009, 11:06 PM
Good luck Michael Phelps !!!

Mad Slanted Powers
08-17-2009, 11:54 PM
Good luck Michael Phelps !!!Sorry, the only event involving water here is the 3000 meter steeplechase. The weather has been nice too, so no rain either.

At that level that's what is called a severe beating.Indeed, but it was closer than the Olympic 100 last year.

Not a fan to watch. I ran track through my freshman year of college, and sorry, I was bored to tears at meets.I can get that way sometimes if I have no interest in any of the competitors and the competition isn't at a very high level. When I was in school, I enjoyed the meets because I could root for my teammates when I wasn't competing. I went to a high school meet this year for the first time in years, and enjoyed it. Part of what helped is I had been following the names in the paper, and there was a good group of distance runners, particulary on the girls side. For some reason, I don't have too much interest in watching an NCAA meet though. I've been following the coverage of some of the European meets this summer on Universal Sports, so that has prepared me some for the Worlds.

First three days of the Championships have had some pretty good events. Of course there was the big 100 meter showdown. The U.S. went 1-4-5 in the shot put with Christian Cantwell defeating Tomasz Majewski of Poland, whom he finished behind at last year's Olympics.

Also on the first day was the women's 10,000 meters. With Ethiopian Tirunesh Dibaba out, fellow Ethiopian Meseret Defar appeared to be the favorite. She was ahead but fell apart in the last 20 meters and ended up 5th. Linet Masai of Kenya won. American Shalane Flanagan couldn't match last year's bronze medal performance, and finished 14th. However, fellow American Amy Yoder Begley ran a personal best to finish 6th.

The other final on the first day was the men's 20K Walk, won by Russian Valeriy Borchin. Another Russian, Olga Kaniskina, won the women's 20K walk the next day. Besides the men's 100 meter final, the other final on the second day was the women's shot put, won by the favorite Valerie Vili of New Zealand. American Michelle Carter did pretty well to finish 6th. She's the daughter of former NFL star Michael Carter, and Olympic medalist himself.

As dominant as Bolt is now in the 100, so has Ethiopia's Kenenisa Bekele been dominant in the 5,000 and 10,000 meters. He won his fourth world title in the 10,000. The guy simply has to follow the leader and sprint at the end. He's the world record holder, so even though Eritrea's Zersenay Tadese kept pushing the pace in the latter half of the race, it didn't do much to take the kick out of Bekele. However, he did "only" manage about a 57 last lap, but he kind of coasted at the end. Americans Dathan Ritzenhein and Galen Rupp did well to place 6th and 8th, with Ritzenhein posting a personal best.

Favorites didn't fair well in the men's hammer throw and women's pole vault. Slovenia's Primož Kozmus won the hammer, while the favorite, Krisztián Pars of Hungary could only manage 4th. Russia's Elena Isinbaeva, who has dominated the women's pole vault much as Sergey Bubka used to dominate the men's, failed to clear a height. She didn't enter the competition until 4.75 meters. She missed once there, passed to 4.80 and missed twice there. Poland's Anna Rogowska won with 4.75, while teammate Monika Pyrek tied with American Chelsea Johnson for the silver at 4.65. Johnson is also the daughter of an Olympic medalist.

Yargeris Savigne led a 1-2 Cuban finish in the women's triple jump. In the women's steeplechase, Russia's Gulnara Galkina was the Olympic champion and world record holder, but could only manage 4th, as Spain's Marta Domínguez won the event. American Jenny Barringer was back in the pack for a while as the pace was pretty fast, but she moved up to 5th at the end with a big personal best and American record.

The Jamaica dominated the women's 100 meters as well, with Shelly-Ann Fraser and Kerron Stewart going 1-2 ahead of American Carmelita Jeter (pronounced JET-er, not JEE-ter like the baseball player).

The key is getting into a pattern, once you do that it makes getting out their much easier. I'm actually in training for a marathon next month so I typically run 4 times a week, and since I've developed a routine its not all that hard at all for me to go out there and run. Although with work etc. I wish I was running better times but that is another discussion for another time and/or thread. :DYeah, I certainly know how much easier it is once you get in the habit of it. 2004 was the last time I was regularly running more than once a week, and 2000 and 2001 was the last time I was consistently running some decent times. When I had my hours cut at work, I was hoping to use the extra hour four days a week to get a run in. I did get a few runs in the first month or so, but then got out of the habit. Last month, it looked like I was going back to 40 hours, but that didn't last long, so now that I am going back to 36, I'll try and take advantage of that opportunity. It might have to wait until next week as I'll be glued to the World Champ coverage. I've decided to give up on the NBC/Versus coverage in favor of the coverage Universal Sports has online. I can watch virtually the entire meet, with British announcers to boot (including former middle distance great Steve Ovett). Everything sounds better with British announcers.

This weekend, I went to a local middle school and ran a timed mile in 6:14. I'm assuming it was a mile, but it is hard to say since the track is kind of trapezoidal in shape, and has a bit of an uphill on one corner. It's also a cinder track. I'm kind of sore today, but I was happy with how it went. I didn't go out too hard, and got faster on the last two laps. Roughly 95, 95, 93, 91.

Qui-Long Gone
08-18-2009, 12:51 AM
And Bolt says his goal is 9.4 seconds, too. Wow.

Just goes to show that if you run through the race, instead of celebrating with 20m to go, you too can accomplish great things Bolt!

DarthQuack
08-18-2009, 04:22 AM
Bolt the dog is quicker if you ask me.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-21-2009, 10:57 PM
I don't know which is more outrageously impressive; Bolt's 9.58 breaking the 100m record by .11, or his 19.19 breaking the 200m by .13. Think about it: if he doubled his WR race in the 100, he'd have run a 19.16... and he was only .03 "slower" than that in the actual race. Just mind boggling...

JimJamBonds
08-23-2009, 11:08 AM
Back at the '96 games Michael Johnson broke the 200 record by .32 seconds to put it to 19.32 seconds. At the time if you would have doubled the 100 world record it would have been slower then Johnson's record.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-24-2009, 12:26 AM
Well, the championships wrapped up today. Lots of great action.

Day 4 saw Americans Kerron Clement and Bershawn Jackson get 1st and 3rd in the 400 hurdles, with Puerto Rico's Javier Culson finishing second. 2000 and 2008 Olympic champion Angelo Taylor didn't make the final after being eliminated in the first round. He almost advanced after someone in front was disqualified, but that person got reinstated.

Sanya Richards finally got her world title in the women's 400 with a pretty convincing win and world leading time for the year of 49.00. Kenya's Ezekiel Kemboi and Richard Mateelong went 1-2 in the steeplechase, with France's Bouabdellah Tahri finishing 3rd to prevent a Kenyan sweep. Great Britain's Phillips Idowu had a world leading jump to defeat Olympic and defending world champion Nelson Évora of Portugal. Steffi Nerius gave the German crowd something to cheer for by winning the women's javelin over Olympic champion and world record holder Barbora Špotáková of the Czech Republic.

German's continued their success in the throws on Day 5 with Robert Harting winning the men's discus on his last throw, beating Piotr Malachowski's Polish record, and favorite Gerd Kanter of Estonia. Bernard Lagat failed to defend his 1500 title, but did get a bronze behind Yusuf Kamel of Bahrain and Deresse Mekonnen of Ethiopia. Kamel is son of two time 800 champ Billy Konchellah of Kenya. Lagat had to get stitches in his leg after getting spiked pretty bad in the race, but was able to compete in the 5000 on the final day.

Jamaicans continued to dominate the sprints with Brigitte Foster-Hylton and Delloreen Ennis-London going 1-3 in the women's 100 hurdles, with Priscilla Lopes-Schliep bringing home Canada's only medal in 2nd. Americans didn't do well in the final with Olympic champion Dawn Harper finishing 6th an Virginia Powell finishing 7th. Caster Semenya of South Africa won the women's 800, but there is controversy about whether the 18 year old is truly a female.

Day 6 saw another medal for Germany with Ariane Friedrich getting the bronze in the women's high jump, though it wasn't the gold they were hoping for. That went to Croatia's Blanka Vlašic, with Russia's Anna Chicherova getting silver. Lashinda Demus of the U.S. was the favorite in the women's 400 hurdles, but came up short to yet another Jamaican, Olympic champion Melaine Walker.

Day 6 was also another Usain Bolt showcase with his incredible world record of 19.19 ahead of Panama's Alonso Edward and American Wallace Spearmon. It was the first time a 200 had five people break 20 seconds. Americans appeared to be the favorites after Olympic champion and world record holder Dayron Robles of Cuba was unable to advance to the final due to injury. However, Terrence Trammell and David Payne finished 2nd and 3rd behind Ryan Brathwaite or Barbados.

Day 7 saw more thrills for the German crowd, as Raul Spank won a bronze in the high hump behind Yaroslav Rybakov of Russian and Kyriakos Ioannou of Cyprus. Russian Sergey Kirdyapkin won the 50K walk, meaning Russia was victorious in all three walking events. Australia got their first gold medal of the games when Dani Samuels set a big personal best in the women's discus.

The United States finally ended the Jamaican sprint dominance of this meet with Allyson Felix easily winning the women's 200 and LaShawn Merritt and Jeremy Wariner going 1-2 in the men's 400.

On day 8, Kenya went 1-2 in the men's marathon with Abel Kirui and Emmanuel Mutai. After having a two or three down seasons, Dwight Phillips of the U.S. once again is world champion in the long jump. Steve Hooker won Australia's second gold medal when he came out on top in the pole vault. He was hurting, so didn't enter until 5.85 meters. He missed there, and passed to 5.90 and cleared it. That was all he needed as no one else could clear the height.

Someone other than Usain Bolt set a world record. Anita Wlodarczyk won the women's hammer throw with a toss of 77.96 meters, or 255 feet 9 inches. Another medal for Germany with Betty Heidler finishing 2nd with a national record. Vivian Cheruiyot and Sylvia Kibet went 1-2 for Kenya in the women's 5000 as Ethiopia's Meseret Defar faded badly at the end as she did in the 10000. She did get the bronze this time.

Jamaica easily won both of the 4x100 relays since the U.S. was eliminated in the heats. The men had won their heat, but were disqualified for beginning their 2nd exchange before entering the passing zone. The women also botched that exchange. Muna Lee (4th in the 200), had trouble getting the baton from Alex Anderson, and once she did get it, it appears she tripped and pulled a hamstring and went down to the track. No record for the Jamaican men, but it was second all-time only to their world record last year.

Lost of great action on the last day to wrap things up. Xue Bai of China pulled away at the end to win the women's marathon over Yoshimi Ozaki of Japan and Aselefech Mergia of Ethiopia. American Kara Goucher faded to 10th, just ahead of fellow American Desireé Davila who set a huge personal best. The U.S. did well to finish 5th in the team event where they add the top three times of each country together. They finished behind China, Japan, Russia, and Ethiopia, but beat Kenya.

Brittney Reese of the U.S. won the women's long jump with the best jump in the world this year, defeating defending champion Tatyana Lebedeva of Russia. The Scandinavian showdown in the men's javelin between Norway's Andreas Thorkildsen and Finland's Tero Pitkämäki didn't quite materialize. Thorkildsen had a huge 2nd round throw of 89.59 to win by over 3 meters, while Pitkämäki could only manage 81.90 for 5th.

Bernard Lagat faired better in the 5000, almost outsprinting 10000 meter champion Kenenisa Bekele of Ethiopia, but coming up short. The women's 1500 was a rough event. Spain's Natalia Rodríguez shoved her way past Ethiopia's Gelete Burka with about 200 to go, knocking her down. Rodríguez won, but was disqualified. That meant Maryam Jamal of Bahrain defended her title. Lisa Dobriskey of Great Britain moved up to 2nd, and Shannon Rowbury of the U.S. ended up with the bronze. America did well with Rowbury in 3rd, Christin Wurth-Thomas in 5th, and Anna Willard in 6th. Rowbury was lucky to make the final after falling and not qualifying, but she got into the semis on appeal and made the final. There were several falls and a lot of jostling in all of the middle distance races.

The United States got their relay revenge in the 4x400, easily winning both men's and women's events. Angelo Taylor, who failed to make the 400 hurdle final, led off the men's team, and Jeremy Wariner ran a blazing second leg to put it out of reach. 400 hurdle champ Kerron Clement and 400 champ LaShawn Merritt closed it out. Another 400 hurdler, Lashinda Demus, ran the 3rd leg on the women's team, so that helped to make up for her loss in her individual race. Debbie Dunn, Allyson Felix and Sanya Richards rounded out the team, as they ran the fourth fastest time ever.

Overall, I really enjoyed the meet, partly because of the coverage I was able to watch on the Universal Sports website. Much better than watching the TV, except for how much time that consumed. I enjoyed the British announcers they had. Peter Matthews seemed like the elder statesmen of the bunch. He had a more refined British accent, kind of old school. Former middle distance great Steve Ovett was kind of hard to understand. His accent was thicker, and he seemed to mumble and not enunciate as well. My favorite was Rob Walker. He was more bombastic, but a bit repetitive. You could have a drinking game for every time he said something was "absolutely superb", or that a jump or throw was "massive." I believe he also was the one that most often used the expression, "my goodness me." While they may have made make plenty of mistakes, at least they seemed a bit more knowledgeable and had something interesting to say during the distance races. I look forward to watching this sort of coverage in two years when the championships are in Daegu, South Korea. Maybe someday, I'll even attend one in person. It's only been in North America once, and that was 2001 in Edmonton.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-24-2009, 06:56 PM
Yeah, but MSP, did you actually follow any of the action? :p

Mad Slanted Powers
08-24-2009, 07:09 PM
Yeah, but MSP, did you actually follow any of the action? :p

Of course I followed. I was never good enough to lead a race like that even when I was in shape.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-24-2009, 07:21 PM
Two shay! I give you the gold for that one! ;)

Mad Slanted Powers
08-24-2009, 09:02 PM
It appears I was incorrect in saying that the U.S. women's 4x400 was the 4th fastest of all time. I thought that is what they said on the TV, but today I see it was actually the 6th fastest.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-28-2009, 11:07 PM
Today was a meet in Zurich. A lot of good races and performances. I particularly enjoyed seeing Dathan Ritzenhein's performance in the 5000. The pacesetters were near world record pace for the first 2 or 3 kilometers, while Ritz was in last place. As the pace slowed and runners fell further behind the leader Kenenisa Bekele, Ritz moved up through the field and was in 2nd place at one point on the last lap. In the end, he finished 3rd with an American record of 12:56.27, beating the 13 year old record of Bob Kennedy, who ran 12:58.21 at this meet in 1996. I guess it is a bad week to be a Kennedy.

This meet is the fifth of six Golden League meets. Any competitors who win their event at all six meets gets a share of $1 million jackpot. There were four still alive coming into this meet: Kerron Stewart of Jamaica in the women's 100, Yelena Isinbayeva of Russia in the women's pole vault, Kenenisa Bekele of Ethiopia in the men's 3000/5000, and Sanya Richards of the U.S. in the women's 400. All but Stewart won today, with Isinbayeva setting a world record. That helped to make up for her no height in the world championships last week.

Usain Bolt won the 100 as expected, but got some competition from countryman Asafa Powell. Bolt "only" ran 9.81, to Powell's 9.88. He also anchored the 4x100 and had to run down Wallace Spearmon of the U.S. to get the victory there. The U.S. was without Tyson Gay, but Powell did not run the relay for Jamaica either.

I also enjoyed the women's 1500, as Anna Willard, Shannon Rowbury and Christin Wurth-Thomas went 2-4-5, with Willard becoming what I think is the 3rd fastest American woman at this distance. Her time was 3:59.38. All three of those woman have run really well this year.

The final Golden League meet is next Friday in Brussels. Anyone still alive for the jackpot after that meet must also compete in the World Athletics Final the week after that to be able to collect their prize, though they do not have to win at that meet.