PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else annoyed at this McQuarrie boxed set?

JediTricks
08-15-2009, 02:20 PM
It's on StarWarsShop.com now for preorder, it's $56, a shared exclusive, and it includes all 13 of the 2007 Ralph McQuarrie concept figures, including Celebration IV-exclusive Luke, CIV-exclusive 3PO and R2, and SDCC-exclusive Obi-Wan and Yoda. At that price, it's $4.31 a figure, or $5.09 a figure if you count the 2packs as 1 figure. No, that doesn't include shipping, but I killed so much time on the bus looking for these, did a bunch of trades, and broke my back getting to those conventions just to get my complete McQ collection (not to mention they just straight up cost more per figure), and now here they are again in 1 easy to get set. Oh, but I got exclusive COINS and cardbacks, well hell's bells! That makes it all worth while to know that I could have just sat on my backside and waited for Hasbro to turn a nifty but blatantly "limited collectible, get them while you can" series into a lazy collection in a box.

I dunno, maybe I'm making too much of this, but it's not like it's 1 hard to find piece or 1 former exclusive figure, it's a whole collection, an entire series, that's what galls me.

Droid
08-15-2009, 03:05 PM
The whole McQuarrie line infuriated me at the time. It was something I was very excited about that they took all of the fun out of for me with the way they did it. I managed to get the ones I really wanted, but ended up not getting many of them. Now I could have all of them if I had just waited! It was frustrating then and frustrating now.

Ji'dai
08-15-2009, 03:21 PM
I welcome the McQuarrie box set and will probably order two sets. I didn't have a problem finding those McQuarrie figures released at retail. I didn't bother trying to get the exclusive figures since I decided a long time ago to not support exclusive figures by not buying them in the first place.

I don't really care about the coins. The ones I did get just went into a zip-lock bag and tossed in tote with the rest of the pack-in junk we've been getting over the years.

I don't have any sympathy for collectors who wait in long lines at con to pay 2-3 times normal retail for a figure and then get burned when the manufacturer just re-releases it later. The only way for collectors to rid ourselves of these ridiculous overpriced figure exclusives is to stop buying them altogether.

JediTricks
08-15-2009, 03:50 PM
Exclusives are now a significant part of the Star Wars line, without them we wouldn't have those figures produced at all, unfortunately. We wouldn't have a new AT-ST, or a new Dewback, or the big-wing TIE Fighter, or the Octuptarra Droid, or the Rancor. Yes, many exclusives are a pain to deal with, but between the choice of exclusive or non-existent, the choice seems clear. (That said, I bought neither Hasbro exclusive figure at Comic-Con this year because they were duds, but I did buy last year's Emperor/Vader and the year before's shadow speederbike.) The number of exclusives not re-released at mass retail far outweighs the number that have been, so it's a bad gamble if you want that item.

LTBasker
08-15-2009, 04:02 PM
I haven't gotten Luke, 3PO/R2 or Obi/Yoda, so I'm actually somewhat interesting in this set. Although, that leaves me with extras of the ones I do already have... I can sympathize, though. I would be incredibly ticked off if I had bought the exclusive figures at their $15+ prices, only to have them rereleased far more (financially) conveniently like this. I can't see the coins as being the bonus to having the previous versions since they weren't exactly high quality...

There is a specific reason that I can sympathize with being ticked, though. IIRC, Hasbro was asked if they would ever rerelease the McQ figures in a boxset and they responded with no - or at least that it was highly unlikely.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-15-2009, 04:20 PM
I was upset at the time when it was hard to get the exclusives, and I had a bit of trouble getting some of the regular line ones. In the end, I managed to get two of everything except for the exclusive Luke, but I got a second one from Mr. JabbaJohnL earlier this year.

I'm almost tempted to get this set and sell the originals. It would save me space, and I already have the card backs and coins from the opened ones.

JediTricks
08-15-2009, 04:24 PM
For filling out an incomplete set, it's not a bad deal. You get 3 army builders if you're into that sort of thing (Snowtrooper, Stormtrooper, Rebel Trooper), and you get another Fett and Vader so you can display both heads for each of them. That leaves you with undesirable duplicates of Han, Chewie, and Leia, which can be decent trade bait I guess.

I agree that the coins aren't a boon, but I'm sure Hasbro and some collectors would feel differently.

I just went over their answers, on Jan 30th they reversed course on that boxed set stand and said "It's possible down the road that we will re-release the McQuarrie TAC figures in multi-figure sets. Look for an announcement on that later in 2009." Man did that get buried at the time, I must have read it and immediately discarded it in my mind.

I wonder if this will affect aftermarket prices on the original carded versions. That and the vintage-style line are the only things I have on my wall.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-15-2009, 04:28 PM
For an incomplete set, it's not a bad deal.What do you mean by incomplete? Which one(s) are not in the set?

JediTricks
08-15-2009, 05:04 PM
What do you mean by incomplete? Which one(s) are not in the set?
I meant for filling out his incomplete set. This box is a complete set of the TAC McQuarrie line.

Ji'dai
08-15-2009, 05:19 PM
Exclusives are now a significant part of the Star Wars line, without them we wouldn't have those figures produced at all, unfortunately. We wouldn't have a new AT-ST, or a new Dewback, or the big-wing TIE Fighter, or the Octuptarra Droid, or the Rancor. Yes, many exclusives are a pain to deal with, but between the choice of exclusive or non-existent, the choice seems clear. I understand the financial reasons behind making vehicles, large creatures, and playsets exclusives. But I draw the line at exclusive action figures - especially those only available at a single venue in the entire country (such as a Con).

I particularly pass on exclusive figures available at the big chains that tote higher than normal retail prices too - current ones such as TRU's Commander Ponds ($10) or Walmart's BAD 2-packs ($17). I bought the most recent Walmart exclusive comic packs (Ewoks, X-Wing Pilots, & Sunber/Amanin) though, which were priced the same as the mass retail ones. There is just no way I am supporting overpriced exclusive action figures.

Blue2th
08-15-2009, 05:33 PM
I think it's a burn. Why try? It took me quite a while to track these down, and yes I paid through the nose to get the convention exclusives.

Makes me want to wait on these exclusive vehicles coming out. I'll probably pass on them knowing they'll come out later, because of the exclusive prices.

Wait a little while and we'll get Darth Revan and Malak in some "Sith Lords" exclusive box set.

Devo
08-15-2009, 05:47 PM
Yeah this one kinda annoyed me but I won't lose sleep over it. It took a long time for me to eventually build the entire collection and I paid varying prices at online stores, got ripped off by Toyglobe.com (avoid, they are conmen) in an attempt to get at least one of these figures. And there they are in a convenient package. Oh well, at least I'm not a packaging completist.

Qui-Long Gone
08-15-2009, 06:10 PM
I wanted these figures when the first came out, but they were too hard to track down...in fact, I never saw the Yoda or Chewie. I didn't collect them then and I won't get this boxed set now.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-15-2009, 06:43 PM
I'm not annoyed - any time a set comes out and I have everything in it, I'm glad that I can just ignore it. :D

I never had to pay a premium for any of these figures, aside from the exclusives, but I was at CIV and got the SDCC ones from someone here. Why should they intentionally make things hard to find? They've been re-releasing things forever.

Blue2th
08-15-2009, 08:19 PM
I'm not quite as annoyed with these as I was with the Legends figures.
At least people have to go online or to a speciality store to get these, and they aren't clogging the pegs like the Greatest Hits, Legends were for a while.

A lot of the reason these were hard to find in the first place is some of them were released one per case like a chase figure. People knew that, scalpers certainly knew that, so there was a lot more footwork involved rounding them up. Not to mention the gold coin versions even more so.

I feel like an old man saying "when I was your age we didn't HAVE no fancy schmancy box sets, we had to go to Walmart and Target every day uphill both ways and track those figures down! You kids got it easy!" lol

Old Fossil
08-15-2009, 10:42 PM
That and the vintage-style line are the only things I have on my wall.

Me, too! (Along with my puny collection of "true" vintage moc figures.)

I don't care. I like the cardbacks on the original issues. Looks better on the wall than a box. I'm proud of my set, since it was not easy to assemble; and I don't collect loose samples of the concept figures, anyway.

This boxed set means nothing to me.

JediTricks
08-15-2009, 11:02 PM
I understand the financial reasons behind making vehicles, large creatures, and playsets exclusives. But I draw the line at exclusive action figures - especially those only available at a single venue in the entire country (such as a Con). And their respective websites.

I particularly pass on exclusive figures available at the big chains that tote higher than normal retail prices too - current ones such as TRU's Commander Ponds ($10) or Walmart's BAD 2-packs ($17). I bought the most recent Walmart exclusive comic packs (Ewoks, X-Wing Pilots, & Sunber/Amanin) though, which were priced the same as the mass retail ones. There is just no way I am supporting overpriced exclusive action figures.Most of those are junk anyway though.

Lord Malakite
08-16-2009, 06:48 AM
I wonder if this will affect aftermarket prices on the original carded versions.
Probably will depend on what type of collector you are, package or loose. Loose figures will probably lose their value, but if they are carded they should retain close to their original value. If I remember right, thats kind of how it went with Playmates 1701 Star Trek series figures (Tapastry Picard, Barkley, and Tasha Yar) when they were re-released as a box set.

sebillba
08-16-2009, 08:00 AM
I can't say I'm too bothered about this, I mean they're all around two years old now, and I wouldn't've wanted to wait that long to get them. Most of the figures I buy quickly lose they're value anyway, and I find them cheaper elsewhere pretty soon after getting them - yet if I try and wait till they go down in price, they only seem to go up!

I was more peed off after buying the Comic CON exclusives - I paid around 18 for 3-PO & R2, and 15 for Luke, believing them to be exclusives to events I couldn't attend... but not long afterwards, TRU had tons of the Lukes, which soon went down to 4.99 each, and were FREE if you spent so much on SW stuff. I also regularly see the droids set cheap online.

So no, the boxed set is fine by me, and like JJL says, since I already have them all, I can just ignore this if I ever actually see it.

MasterTrebor
08-16-2009, 09:48 AM
I am really excited about the McQuarrie boxed sets finally i can get them all to complete my collection but it ****es me off that they don;t come with a coin because i needed alot of mcquarrie figures for the 30th ann to try and get all the coins. But i will still enjoy the new sets.

pbarnard
08-16-2009, 11:53 AM
It's a boxed set. Ignoring the exclusive aspect for the moment, how many times has Hasbro taken a figure, popped them into a set? Are all the people who bought the singles of Palpy, Kit Fisto, Mace Sasee Tiin etc upset by that box set? What about OTC Luke/Yoda/Ben & R2 in the Dagobah training? It's not unprecedented, but it is "novel" in that it is the first time that exclusives are involved.

El Chuxter
08-16-2009, 12:20 PM
I was so annoyed, I left a bag of burning dog poo on his doorstep and I prank called him to see if his fridge was running.

My only problem is I seem to recall Hasbro saying the Con exclusives (if not all the figures) would never be reissued in any form, and some of these figures were expensive and took great effort to track down. I'll just bear that in mind for any further overpriced exclusives (cough, Corran Horn).

bigbarada
08-16-2009, 02:18 PM
Didn't Hasbro hint at the possibility of rereleasing all of these as a boxed set back in 2007, or am I just imagining things? :confused:

vger
08-16-2009, 04:39 PM
If they're putting them into box sets now, does that mean they aren't going to do anymore McQuarrie concept figures, just other artists' sketches?

morpheus282
08-16-2009, 05:18 PM
I'm a little peeved at the boxed sets, but not enough to lose sleep over them. The only one I ever saw in the wild was the Starkiller hero, but I picked up the Han Solo and Chewbacca from eBay at a reasonable rate. Since I can't see spending the $$$ on the boxed set right now, I'm hoping that they at least dilute the market that I can pick up the others I wanted a year or so from now.

I particularly pass on exclusive figures available at the big chains that tote higher than normal retail prices too - current ones such as TRU's Commander Ponds ($10) or Walmart's BAD 2-packs ($17).

In Hasbro's defense, the WalMart BAD 2 packs are $17. Individual figures are $7.50. That means we're paying $15 for the figures and an extra $2 for the darktrooper parts. Not that bad a deal...

That said, anybody want to buy the Grievous, CB-3D, Anakin, battle droid, and Darth Maul that I have absolutely no use for? Still mint... I refuse to buy the Boba Fett pack so my darktrooper will be running around sans backpack.

masterbrocksamson
08-16-2009, 06:02 PM
After reading the Comic-con coverage from this, Hasbro never really mentioned if this set will include all the previously-released accessories, sans coins, did they? If I bought these boxes to open 'em, I'd want all the alternate heads and weapons.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-16-2009, 09:01 PM
Didn't Hasbro hint at the possibility of rereleasing all of these as a boxed set back in 2007, or am I just imagining things? :confused:
I asked them about it at CIV, and they said they were definitely looking at options for getting them into a wider release. I guess it just took a while. :p

Ji'dai
08-19-2009, 09:51 PM
Now StarWarsShop (http://shop.starwars.com/catalog/product.xml?topcatID=1300264;product_sku=SWHB09BPM CQ&rid=EMAILC-260) has the McQuarrie box set with a list price of $99.99, on sale for $79.99! A week ago it was $56! WTF?!

JediTricks
08-19-2009, 10:08 PM
It's a boxed set. Ignoring the exclusive aspect for the moment, how many times has Hasbro taken a figure, popped them into a set? Are all the people who bought the singles of Palpy, Kit Fisto, Mace Sasee Tiin etc upset by that box set? What about OTC Luke/Yoda/Ben & R2 in the Dagobah training? It's not unprecedented, but it is "novel" in that it is the first time that exclusives are involved.And that it makes up an entire sub-line that was previously treated as "highly collectible" and took tons of effort to complete.

Didn't Hasbro hint at the possibility of rereleasing all of these as a boxed set back in 2007, or am I just imagining things? :confused:No, that was the beginning of this year when they hinted at that.

If they're putting them into box sets now, does that mean they aren't going to do anymore McQuarrie concept figures, just other artists' sketches?They are going to continue doing McQuarrie figures with other concept figures. The upcoming subline of 4 figures has 1 McQ figure, the IG-88.

After reading the Comic-con coverage from this, Hasbro never really mentioned if this set will include all the previously-released accessories, sans coins, did they? If I bought these boxes to open 'em, I'd want all the alternate heads and weapons.They didn't mention, but Hasbro said they weren't minting coins after the TAC line, and the Hasbro pics of the loose figures have no coins with them.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-19-2009, 11:05 PM
Now StarWarsShop (http://shop.starwars.com/catalog/product.xml?topcatID=1300264;product_sku=SWHB09BPM CQ&rid=EMAILC-260) has the McQuarrie box set with a list price of $99.99, on sale for $79.99! A week ago it was $56! WTF?!
There are two sets - one has six figures, the other has seven. Your link is just them selling both in a big ol' bundle.

Ji'dai
08-20-2009, 06:17 AM
There are two sets - one has six figures, the other has seven. Your link is just them selling both in a big ol' bundle. Yes, last week the two set bundle was $56. Now it's $80.

DarkArtist
08-20-2009, 11:18 AM
i have to say it's an easy pass for me. i was able to get all the McQuarrie figures on cards so I'll just display those, no need for the boxset