PDA

View Full Version : Hasbro cleaning out the pegwarmers?

Blue2th
08-15-2009, 08:43 PM
Jesse over at Jedi Defender was mentioning this rumour.
Wonder if there's any truth to it?
Have they done this before?:

Figure Returns A-Plenty

I've got an interesting nugget of news from a reliable anonymous source working for a major retailer, that Hasbro reps are out doing a little Summer Cleaning. Read on for a list of figures that could be leaving pegs at a store near you.

Ak-Rev

Bail Organa

Breha Organa

Yarna D'al Gargan (duh!)

Pons Limbic

Trinto Duaba & Dice Ibegon

Wioslea

All the above were on the list, but may have not been all on the list. This is also something that may be on a regional basis, or only for select stores within a region. It also may be limited to only certain retailer chains. These are Hasbro policies that have a lot of variables. Basically, your mileage may vary as to whether you see these returns or not.

Needless to say though, if you were waiting on any of the above figures to go on clearance, you may wish to reconsider that decision and just pick them up now.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-15-2009, 08:51 PM
They did a similar thing back in 2002 when there were a ton of pegwarmers, I believe, and they might have done it since then, but I don't think so. Hopefully this is true since those need to get out of here (the CW IG-86 is pretty bad too, but I suppose they won't pull that one).

Droid
08-15-2009, 09:32 PM
I hope that isn't true about the cantina aliens. They are great figures and I hope Hasbro doesn't get cold feet about doing more of them!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-15-2009, 11:19 PM
They've said they wanted to finish the scene, more or less, so I'm not worried about that. It's just that these particular figures are pegwarming HARD, unlike any other cantina figures I can remember. They'll just make them in fewer numbers, like they've said.

JediTricks
08-15-2009, 11:45 PM
I hope it's accurate, those are the majority of pegwarmers in my area from the 2008 line. Hasbro recently said in Q&A they weren't doing this anymore, but seems like now would be the right time to change that.

Blue2th
08-16-2009, 12:39 AM
I hope that isn't true about the cantina aliens. They are great figures and I hope Hasbro doesn't get cold feet about doing more of them!

I was going to say. I don't see a whole lot of them on the pegs.

I am still seeing tons of Yarna, Ak-Rev, and lately quite a few Organa's though.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-16-2009, 01:27 AM
I was going to say. I don't see a whole lot of them on the pegs.

I am still seeing tons of Yarna, Ak-Rev, and lately quite a few Organa's though.
I'm seeing plenty of the Mos Eisley characters - Wioslea, Pons and Trinto, in that order from most to fewest. Obi-Wan is pretty common too, while the Han, Luke and Spacetrooper are less common.

El Chuxter
08-16-2009, 02:05 AM
I very, very occasionally see Wioslea, Trinto, or Breha. And still too many Yarnas. The others, I wouldn't think of as having ever been pegwarmers here.

Blue2th
08-16-2009, 08:36 AM
I very, very occasionally see Wioslea, Trinto, or Breha. And still too many Yarnas. The others, I wouldn't think of as having ever been pegwarmers here.
You have to remember too those haven't been warming the pegs for over a year like Yarna and Ak-Rev. I would think that would be the criteria for a true pegwarmer.

I could see the removal of the old cards for the new design, but Hasbro already said they would be mixing them in.

MasterTrebor
08-16-2009, 09:55 AM
thank god i am sick of seeing Bail Organa Breha Organa Yarna D'al Gargan i want to see the new figures finally i hate pegwarmers because they take the fun out of shopping. You go to target hoping to find a new figure however they only have 30 breha's it makes me very mad so hopfully hasbro does take action!

El Chuxter
08-16-2009, 11:06 AM
I've only got to wonder where everyone lives that Breha is a pegwarmer. I didn't get her when she first came out, since it took a while to find one with decent paint, and she became impossible to get for the longest time. I think it took me four months after I'd not seen anything from that wave to find her again, and I've seen two or three since.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-16-2009, 12:13 PM
I've only got to wonder where everyone lives that Breha is a pegwarmer. I didn't get her when she first came out, since it took a while to find one with decent paint, and she became impossible to get for the longest time. I think it took me four months after I'd not seen anything from that wave to find her again, and I've seen two or three since.

I think Fred Meyer is the only place I've seen a lot of her. Didn't see too much of that wave anywhere else, though I did see a few of her at Target yesterday. I haven't seen much of the ESB or AOTC wave, probably because the ANH wave has hung around a lot, particularly the ones I've mentioned.

The problem with Yarna is that once everyone that wanted her got her, she kept shipping and she hung around while the rest of the wave gradually disappeared.

pbarnard
08-16-2009, 12:48 PM
Breha is the only thing available here. Yarna finally cleared out in June. Doesn't matter, Walmart, Target or even TRU. All Breha Organa, all the time.

I have seen a couple waves of the ANH, and only 1 of the AotC. New carded Saga Legends are selling better than the BAD line. If not for seeing the Droid Factor yesterday I havne't seen another new figure since the 4th of July weekend.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-16-2009, 01:20 PM
Yarna is still the worst offender here. I haven't seen Ak-Rev in quite some time, actually. Bail and Breha aren't at every store around the area, but they're definitely still out there in full force. The cantina guys seem to be clearing out, but there are still a few stores where they've overstayed their welcome.

Qui-Long Gone
08-16-2009, 10:32 PM
I was so happy they made Yarna, but bummed that she has become a pegwarmer, not surprised, but bummed.

So if you were Hasbro what do ya'll think are three things that could be done to stop (global) pegwarming?

El Chuxter
08-16-2009, 10:38 PM
1) Make fan favorite figures with little chance of widespread appeal in much smaller numbers,

2) Offer figures with less chance of selling as exclusives of some sort,

and 3) Put more army builders out there. Part of the problem is they sell so well, stores reorder the cases based solely on numbers even though there's one or two figures who are barely selling at all. If there's two of each of six figures and four figures are moving at a normal rate (with the remaining two being an army builder and a pegwarmer), and the army builder is moving out the door as soon as they hit pegs, then the store can go through, say, ten cases in a month, resulting in twenty pegwarmers (okay, let's say two sold and there are eighteen), taking up a lot of peg space.

Bonus: 4) Stop resculpting core characters unless they really need it. This is total conjecture, mind you. Hasbro says they need to keep core characters available for kids and new fans. The same exact sculpts for guys like Vader and the Stormtrooper worked for Kenner for more than six years! They resculpt the character, not adding much that makes it worth another $8 (Typho? Malakili? WTF? More joints for these loser figures?), or saturating the market with slight variations (Vader, Tatooine Luke). Then they release it, over and over, based on the assumption that kids will buy it because they don't have the character, and that every adult will clamor to get it. Fact is, adults are sick of some of these same figures over and over. They don't buy them, and they turn into unexpected pegwarmers.

Blue2th
08-17-2009, 12:22 AM
So if you were Hasbro what do ya'll think are three things that could be done to stop (global) pegwarming?

1. Recycle Yarna's
2. Don't make Jocasta Nu
3. If you do make Jocasta Nu, make sure you don't let her take Yarna's pegwarming crown, and recycle her too. :yes:

Dice Ibegon
08-17-2009, 04:29 AM
None of the Legacy figs seem to pegwarm here in the UK (well at least not where I live) I had to get the cantina aliens online.

It is the crappy CW figs that are clogging up the pegs & it seems that while this rubbish is not selling the Legacy figs are not being put on the shelves.

To be honest though, I stopped buying figs from stores a few years ago and buy 95% of stuff online.

sebillba
08-17-2009, 09:28 AM
None of the Legacy figs seem to pegwarm here in the UK (well at least not where I live) I had to get the cantina aliens online.

It is the crappy CW figs that are clogging up the pegs & it seems that while this rubbish is not selling the Legacy figs are not being put on the shelves.

To be honest though, I stopped buying figs from stores a few years ago and buy 95% of stuff online.

Same with me, I get all my waves as they come out straight from Star Action Figures - they usually work out slightly cheaper, and I don't have to worry about crappy figures, as they always pick out good paint apps for me.

I went to TRU today for the first time in ages, there really wasn't much in the way of basic figures - a few CW, and some older movie figs - I think I saw Anchorhead Biggs, Fireside Padme (she's got to be the biggest pegwarmer I ever see here) and the yellow Naboo Soldier. TBH, I didn't take that much notice, as I mainly went for Lego (Echo Base and Indy Streets of Cairo) - but I did get a couple of Saga Legends, which seemed to be the biggest section on the pegs - gasmask Han and Chewie.

Qui-Long Gone
08-17-2009, 11:03 AM

Dice, I'm curious, being stuck in the States where collecting is ruled by a monster known as Walmart, how efficient is collecting online in the UK? Is that fairly common for our brothern and sistern forumites in the UK?

Blue2th
08-17-2009, 12:12 PM
I went out hunting today for new figures. Didn't find any, but I did notice at pretty much every store there were still a lot of Yarna's, Ak-Rev, Breha. But what I did also notice was a heck of a lot of Legends Saesee Tinn's, in every place. Not only that but they were also there on the new cards too, which is another round of pegwarmers coming.

One Target that's closer to my house had 8 of them on the old white cards, which was more than the Yarna's, Ak-Rev, and Breha put together. He's just as bad, and I don't know why they would re-issue him on the new card, if they can't even sell the old ones. Somebody's not doing their research.

Jabbapalacespy
08-17-2009, 03:41 PM
I was thrilled when I saw they were going to make Yarna and those cantina aliens and I rushed out to get them as soon as they hit the shelves thinking they would be hard to find (buying some of them at KB of all places and spending $2.50 extra per figure because of that fear. :mad: ) Now they are pretty much everywhere around here so I'm glad Hasbro may take back the extras. It worries me that Walmart and other stores might not order any new figures while the pegs are full of these older ones. There is a ton of new figures I want starting next month so hopefully this will make room for them.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-23-2009, 04:42 PM
At a Walmart and Target today, who both used to have a ton of Yarnas, I was extremely pleasantly surprised to see that they had all been cleared out! Woo-hoo!!! Hopefully this is a nationwide thing. There was still a ton of IG-86s on the pegs at the Target and some older Legends figures at the Walmart, but thankfully, no Yarnas.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-23-2009, 05:19 PM
At a Walmart and Target today, who both used to have a ton of Yarnas, I was extremely pleasantly surprised to see that they had all been cleared out! Woo-hoo!!! Hopefully this is a nationwide thing. There was still a ton of IG-86s on the pegs at the Target and some older Legends figures at the Walmart, but thankfully, no Yarnas.

Yesterday, Target had about 11 Yarnas, 1 or 2 Brehas, 3 Saesee Tiins and a couple of IG-86's. There were also a few CW figures on the new cards, but nothing I didn't already have, mostly ones that had been on the old cards.

Wal-Mart had moved their Star Wars section, but nothing new there yet either.

dr_evazan22
08-23-2009, 05:31 PM
My local Wm's and Tar get seem to be fairly clear of the pegwarmers (at least the worst of them), but TRU has a couple of pegs devoted to Yarna. And they seem to have other stuff that doesn't seem to move either - some SW keychains and those Marbs! Great idea!

On the good side, TRU had a ton of new vehicles - Turbo Tank and other vehicles in the new packaging. I wish they had thought of that sooner, like when I was more likely to buy them.

pbarnard
08-23-2009, 06:15 PM
Ask Cappy and Rocketboy, Breha, a few CW new figs, and a whole bunch of new card Saga Legends. Pittiful here.

JEDIpartner
08-23-2009, 06:17 PM
I honestly haven't seem many of those here in the Cleveland area. I guess we did all right by them!!!

JediTricks
08-23-2009, 06:44 PM
I've only got to wonder where everyone lives that Breha is a pegwarmer. I didn't get her when she first came out, since it took a while to find one with decent paint, and she became impossible to get for the longest time. I think it took me four months after I'd not seen anything from that wave to find her again, and I've seen two or three since.Most LA-area Targets, as well as a few stores in San Diego.

I don't have a good answer for the sales problems right now. Hasbro was doing ok before the TLC line with this, they were getting better, then Clone Wars utterly cannibalized sales from the main buying audience, casual collectors, which left the mainline sales anemic. But Clone Wars is a sales juggernaut right now, it's doing exceptionally well and has strong marketing support in the show, and it probably is feeding some cross-sales to the mainline. To be honest, that suggests scaling back both the mainline and Saga Legends to focus on Clone Wars, which is not ideal but might create a brand vacuum later on. I wish Hasbro could find a way to cut back the price a buck - considering how expensive the line is today, it's amazing it's doing as well as it is, but it does make every figure more of a risk as it puts a bigger dent in the audiences' discretionary spending.

Not that the Clone Wars line doesn't have its own pegwarming problems, it absolutely does, but that's a different ball of wax.

Ideally, I'd like to see Lucas re-release the saga in theaters as a traveling roadshow every summer, thus getting more kids to feel the Force again while keeping it from being oversaturated, but that is well beyond Hasbro's abilities.

At this rate, Hasbro may have to go back to advertising. :p

1) Make fan favorite figures with little chance of widespread appeal in much smaller numbers,Keep in mind, when you do that, you're basically risking selling the figure at a loss, so you have to offset those minimal sales risks by siphoning off budgets from other figures in the wave. Too limited and you end up making a whole wave of lameos that nobody will buy, which means more pegwarmers.

2) Offer figures with less chance of selling as exclusives of some sort,I don't understand this claim at all, could you clarify?

and 3) Put more army builders out there. Part of the problem is they sell so well, stores reorder the cases based solely on numbers even though there's one or two figures who are barely selling at all. If there's two of each of six figures and four figures are moving at a normal rate (with the remaining two being an army builder and a pegwarmer), and the army builder is moving out the door as soon as they hit pegs, then the store can go through, say, ten cases in a month, resulting in twenty pegwarmers (okay, let's say two sold and there are eighteen), taking up a lot of peg space.This is a delicate balance, too many and you risk pegwarming, too few and they don't appear at market at all. I personally think Hasbro needs a constant but very slim flow of Stormtroopers and ROTS Clonetroopers, everything else (Clone Wars line notwithstanding as it's a different ball of wax) should be rotated in and out throughout the year. Not long ago, the Saggy Legends line overproduced clones and stormies to the point of pegwarming, where it got difficult to even tell them apart on the pegs (I'm thinking of the TAC line). But pilots and secondary army builder characters do need to be re-released, just I think at lesser intervals.

Bonus: 4) Stop resculpting core characters unless they really need it. This is total conjecture, mind you. Hasbro says they need to keep core characters available for kids and new fans. The same exact sculpts for guys like Vader and the Stormtrooper worked for Kenner for more than six years! They resculpt the character, not adding much that makes it worth another $8 (Typho? Malakili? WTF? More joints for these loser figures?), or saturating the market with slight variations (Vader, Tatooine Luke). Then they release it, over and over, based on the assumption that kids will buy it because they don't have the character, and that every adult will clamor to get it. Fact is, adults are sick of some of these same figures over and over. They don't buy them, and they turn into unexpected pegwarmers.Fully disagree, and I think it's unrealistic to look at pegs and claim ANY core character is pegwarming lately. Casual collectors keep this line going, they want the main recognizable guys, that's why Saga Legends sells so well that Hasbro can keep producing a constant flow, but without those characters also in the main line, there's no reason for casual collectors to buy from it at all. For the majority of those collectors, something like Bom Vimdin is going to be a better co-sell with Luke or Han Tatooine than by itself. Sure, it worked for Kenner 30 years ago when figures were ultra-cheap and profit margins were high and there was no competition for the brand, but it's fully unrealistic today.

And I'd also argue that there isn't almost a single core character figure out now that couldn't be improved upon. Hasbro's work with the characters we recognize best and thus are better at scrutinizing is still not "there".

El Chuxter
08-23-2009, 08:39 PM
Maybe the folks in the IE who are snatching up the Brehas don't want Han, Luke, or the rest of the gang. Must be a regional thing.

As for #2, well, Yarna wouldn't have pegwarmed if she were in a Target exclusive wave or TRU exclusive BattlePack. She probably would've cost more, but that would justify making less. Trouble is, Hasbro probably would've had Yarna in a set of resissues including Bartoo-Detoo, ROTJ Luke, Carbonite Han, and Prisoner Chewie.

Blue2th
09-10-2009, 11:54 AM
So indeed the Jedi Defender rumor was true.

This from Yakface Q&A:

Q3: Reports are circulating that Hasbro reps are participating in their own version of Order 66 and are wiping out certain "pegwarming" figures from the aisles (namely the Yarna's, a few of the Cantina Patrons and others). Will this "purge" continue to include some of the survivors in the blue/white Saga Legends line (Saesee Tiin, C-3PO, Plo Koon) as well?

A3: We can confirm that our store reps are indeed pulling back a number of collector-targeted figures that have built up at retail over the past year. The intention is to provide a one-time correction for the pull back in collector spending that has resulted in lower sell-through on the more narrowly collector-targeted like Yarna, the Organas, Cantina patrons, and the like. We'll still continue to produce these figures (like Willrow) but our release volumes will be tempered to ensure the same issues don't persist. However, we won't be doing any pullbacks against the 100% kid-focused Saga Legends line. Going forward, Saesee Tiin and Plo Koon has been removed from the assortment and replaced with different characters.

Qui-Long Gone
09-10-2009, 04:07 PM
I bet Jocasta Nu would be pegwarming if she was on shelves.

Blue2th
09-10-2009, 04:11 PM
Yup, then they send out the Order 66 to purge her. :yes:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-10-2009, 07:39 PM
Nice to get confirmation on this. I still see a few Yarnas here and there, meaning somebody missed them, but it's a far cry from the 10 that each store used to have. IG-86 is stull abundant. Gotta make room for the ridiculous amounts of LC figures coming this fall.

Qui-Long Gone
09-10-2009, 11:13 PM
Gotta make room for the ridiculous amounts of LC figures coming this fall.

Speaking of which...any predictions about the next wave of pegwarmers? I plan to buy many of these forthcoming figures, so I can't imagine who will tank...

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-10-2009, 11:22 PM
Speaking of which...any predictions about the next wave of pegwarmers? I plan to buy many of these forthcoming figures, so I can't imagine who will tank...
I'm guessing we'll see quite a lot of Malakili, Leesub Sirln, Jeremoch Colton, Willrow Hood, and Ziro's Assassin Droid (since it's a repaint of that ever-popular :rolleyes: IG-86).

Qui-Long Gone
09-10-2009, 11:25 PM
^Yeah, I can see most of those warming the pegs...:rolleyes:

I probably will get Willrow just for poops and giggles, but I can't stop his army of warmers....:rolleyes:

Dice Ibegon
09-11-2009, 09:31 AM
I reckon Wilrow Hood is definitely gonna give Yarna a run for her Pegwarming crown.

Old Fossil
09-11-2009, 09:33 AM
I can see Hasbro shortpacking Willrow Hood to avoid that potential pegwarming scenario. Same with Malakili.

Blue2th
09-11-2009, 09:40 AM
That's basically what they said in the answer that they will be shortpacking Wilrow Hood, so this doesn't happen again. He may be hard to find.

That's the flip side of the Pegwarming issue.

As long as I get one I'll be happy.

Obsession is Nute
09-11-2009, 11:54 PM
I have seen no evidence of removed pegwarmers in my area. The situation remains dismal. No evidence of AOTC hitting having hit here.

figrin bran
09-12-2009, 01:39 AM
I wonder if Hasbro can do anything about the pegwarming comic packs, especially Leia/Xizor. I've only seen the Sigel Dare/Krayt, Katarn/Vong, Luke/Lumiya wave once and I've visited tons of stores the past few weeks.

At many stores, inventory is down to just 4 packs but no re orders or restocks have occured.

DarkJedi5
09-12-2009, 01:43 AM
I wonder if Hasbro can do anything about the pegwarming comic packs, especially Leia/Xizor. I've only seen the Sigel Dare/Krayt, Katarn/Vong, Luke/Lumiya wave once and I've visited tons of stores the past few weeks.

At many stores, inventory is down to just 4 packs but no re orders or restocks have occured.

Haven't seen those new packs anywhere yet. I've seen some of the older packs in the new packaging which means that those new sets came in somewhere but they were long gone when I got there.