PDA

View Full Version : I'm Back On The Baseball Diamond Again!

Tycho
08-16-2009, 07:30 PM
With special thanks to BobaFrett who made this possible.

Today was my first game! (in a long time - since July 2005 I believe)

I batted .500 hitting to the gaps in left center and right center each to get on board. I played 2nd base where I stopped a grounder hit to my right and got under an infield fly and then I later defended against fly balls in the outfield. Our field positions were rotated several times to see where we fit in the best. I think I'll wind up being a utility player.

Well, here's a pic from my first start while I'm waiting on deck to get up to the plate again.

bobafrett
08-16-2009, 07:51 PM
Awesome, you look so slendor! Mean Green Baseball machine! I'm not all that good at baseball, though I was better when I was in my best shape of my life in 2000.

Qui-Long Gone
08-16-2009, 09:13 PM
Keep swinging baby! Great smile! You look like a man who misses the batter's box....

-Never let the fear of striking out keep you from batting- Babe Ruth (right before he was nailed in the head with a pitch)

Tycho
08-18-2009, 05:15 PM
So I had to go shopping today. I never had thought about this, but I needed:

knee pads (have to go to a different sporting goods store to get the matching pad because there's 1 to a box and I have 2 knees). I skinned one of them real good last game by diving into 2nd to avoid a force-out.

baseball pants - I just tore a hole in my old ones from that dive into 2nd base.

athletic support - I'll have to embroider "S-7" on it.

cletes - moving fast on the infield doesn't happen when your baseball shoes are old and worn out.

batting gloves

It looks like I'm outfitted for another hobby.

DarthBrandon
08-18-2009, 05:40 PM
Good for you Tycho, Glad to see you putting that new Kidney to good use. I can't get into Baseball myself, just not my thing I guess. I play Hockey all year round since I quit smoking; so you could say that's my new gig. Good stuff my friend.:thumbsup:

Tycho
08-23-2009, 10:10 PM
I batted 2 for 4 again today, still holding my own at a .500 average! Wow. I didn't expect that. I also flew out and grounded out, but they labeled one a sacrafice and I got an RBI for that. I scored myself off one of my singles, but through a pinch-runner. About the 6th inning, I'd strained my muscles in both quads and my right calf and I couldn't run anymore. I did stretch before my game, but I need to be stretching every day now that I'm back in season.

I made no errors in the field today and I played like almost every position: starting at 3rd base actually, then moving to 2nd, my regular position. Going back to leftfield to cover a powerswinger (he didn't hit in my direction though), and finally when my legs hurt, I played catcher for the very first time in the entire history of my baseball / softball career.

Tycho
08-30-2009, 11:10 PM
I am still batting .500 after today's game (played in the terrible heatwave of all things).

I had 2 singles, 2 RBIs, and I was a run driven in myself.

I also made a great play getting a runner at home who was coming from 3rd.

TeeEye7
08-31-2009, 12:46 AM
I am still batting .500 after today's game (played in the terrible heatwave of all things).

For those in other parts of the world, that's San Diego-speak for 80F! ;)

The horror.....the horror.....the horror......

JimJamBonds
08-31-2009, 02:50 PM
What's up with the batting helmet??? Its freakin' softball!!!

DarthQuack
08-31-2009, 03:21 PM
I've got a doubleheader in about 40 minutes to see if my team will make the playoffs....the first team we're playing is 13-1...and we're 5-8, but our run differential is +14, so we're always in the games, just lose close ones. :(

I'll be on the mound for both games, so wish me luck!

Tycho
09-01-2009, 12:21 AM
What's up with the batting helmet??? Its freakin' softball!!!

I had the custom San Diego logo put on it so that I'll think I'm really cool when wearing it. Beyond that, it's useful for the batting cages because I prefer fastball pitching. I don't actually wear it when batting in my softball games except for that photo occasion. That time I actually wore it at the plate. But still, considering how I also like to go to the cages, it was a good investment and I think I look like Kevin Kouzmanoff or David Eckstein when I wear it. (Just let me keep that illusion please - oh and the one where I think of myself as being cool too, please).

I'll be on the mound for both games, so wish me luck!

So how did your games go, Darth Quack? How'd you do? How many innings do you play?

DarthQuack
09-01-2009, 03:25 AM
We lost a heartbreaker in our first game.....the sun was a huge factor though, us pitchers had a great game...until the last inning when we were up 5-2 and then the sun set and they started killing the ball and that was the game.....it really ****ed me off.

The 2nd game I played catcher and we just had it as a throw-away game since it didn't matter since we missed the playoffs so blah.

Tycho
09-01-2009, 09:44 AM
I'm sorry Quack. But it sounds like you had a valiant effort going there while you were ahead in the first game. Your post worried me that you sounded like you were down on yourself for giving up those runs. Were you still on the mound when it happened?

- Actually, you should know it doesn't matter as baseball's a team effort and your fielders (guys like myself) need to be on top of their game, too. Hardly every out is made from the pitcher's mound. Pitchers just need to lose their egos and ask to be pulled even while they're ahead if they feel their arm tiring. That's always been my input at those conferences on the mound. But then I've not pitched many innings in comparison to the long career I've had on the diamond (mostly at 2nd base).

DarthQuack
09-02-2009, 06:40 AM
Yup, I pitch complete games for my co-ed team. It's mostly the defense that I get mad at. Although mostly I was mad at the Sun as well for not staying out as long as it did since they had the shade and we didn't in our half of the inning. I just like being competitive as long as I have a solid 8 players along with me playing well.

Tycho
10-22-2009, 01:17 PM
So I'm playing with the San Diego Padres, reporting to practice on Saturday, November 14! I just got my paperwork in the mail yesterday and I have to sign some documents and get it back to the team. I can bring 3 friends with me (to watch, meet the players, photo, film) that day as well!

I'm so excited, I'm posting this everywhere!