PDA

View Full Version : What is the ultimate American Muscle Car?

sith_killer_99
08-17-2009, 08:16 PM
Okay, so I'm just wondering, there are a lot of American Muscle Cars out there, old school, new school, Ford, GM, Chrysler...AMC.

What do you consider the ultimate American Muscle Car, and why.

For me, I believe it just may be the 1968 Mustang GT500KR fastback. I just love the mean looks of this awesome machine!

I am also a big fan of the 1968-70 Dodge Charger, coming in a close second.

El Chuxter
08-17-2009, 09:03 PM
Brawn. He had a strength of 9, and was listed as the second strongest Autobot after Optimus Prime, who is not a car. (Brawn, at least, could be argued to be a very large car by some people's definitions.)

:p

JimJamBonds
08-17-2009, 09:47 PM
El Camino baby! Ohh wait that's the ultimate car/truck. My bad.

LTBasker
08-17-2009, 10:50 PM
I'm gonna go with the first generation Pontiac GTO. I know next to nothing about the internal workings of a car, but you look at it and there isn't a single thing that is a let down. It's beautiful, and wholy intimidating, and puts the undeniable definition to "muscle" into muscle car.

Whoever approved of the fourth generation version should have something horrible done to them. Such as being forced to look at it.

bigbarada
08-17-2009, 11:03 PM
I would have to go with the 1970 Plymouth AAR Cuda.:love:

Qui-Long Gone
08-19-2009, 12:24 AM
I think the brand Mustang in general is the all-around ultimate American muscle car...I mean, even the weakest versions are still pretty manly...this 1965 Fastback seems to flex muscle...

Of course, the ultimate American Muscle Car is whatever Chuck Norris is ridding: bike, skates, bus, limo, big-wheel....if he's on it, it's muscle.

Darth Jax
08-19-2009, 12:59 AM
if you want to consider a single car, then the ultimate muscle car is the 67 Pontiac GTO, the "Judge" just can't be topped. second and third (and very close) are the 69 Chevy Camaro and 69 Mach 1.

if you want to go with a single american car line along it's various incarnations - then i'd give the nod to the Corvette.

TeeEye7
08-19-2009, 01:10 PM
Back in the day, the car of choice around here was the Chevrolet Chevelle SS.

The '66 through '70 seemed to be the most coveted with the '70 being the holy grail for most kids. Most packed the 396 but some folks pushed the 3 feet per gallon envelope with a 454. (Gas was under a buck a gallon when I was a kid :eek:)

My college room mate had a Plymouth Roadrunner. It had the small 340 engine instead of the beefy 383. It still did a reasonably good job of impressing people.

Me personally? I'm not much of a car person. It's just transportation to me and I choose not to put money into it (Toyota Highlander!).

Here's a sample of a '70 Chevelle:

Blue2th
08-19-2009, 01:29 PM
Back in the 80's I remember seeing a stock orange Roadrunner on the lot at the Buick GMC dealership I worked at. It was $800, very clean. It even had the little Roadrunner decal on the side, cowl induction hood.

I imagine now at Barrett Jackson, the same car in the condition I saw it in would be in the double if not triple digits. Oh to go back in time. :cry:

Now I'm driving a Toyota too, well it's a 4X4 pickup, so it at least it doesn't look like a cockroach or tennis shoe going down the road. :ermm:

JediTricks
08-19-2009, 03:15 PM
I'd argue the '60s Camaro line is the ultimate. I know there's the whole "muscle car is not a pony car" argument, but I think those lines are blurred, unlike the ones between sports car and muscle car.

There are a lot of classic muscle cars in my neighborhood, there's one guy who even restores and sells them who has a new one every month parked on the street.

I think the brand Mustang in general is the all-around ultimate American muscle car...I mean, even the weakest versions are still pretty manly...The original Mustangs were basically Ford Falcons stripped of the excess weight and given a new exterior. Those first year models shipped with just 120 horsepower. They were a budget 4-seater sporty car, but didn't truly come into their own until a little later.

Also, "even the weakest versions are still pretty manly" makes me respond with my Grandma's Mustang:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second-generation_Ford_Mustang
And the generation after that:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third-generation_Ford_Mustang
And no matter how you dress up a Mustang II, it's still a sack of crap on wheels.

if you want to go with a single american car line along it's various incarnations - then i'd give the nod to the Corvette.The Corvette is not a muscle car, it's a sports car. Pricetag and styling are the difference.

Blue2th
08-19-2009, 03:45 PM
My dad had one of those 64 1/2 Mustangs in bright orange red with a white interior, 13" wheels and a straight six engine. Yeah it was a glorified Falcon, but nicer looking.

The Mustang II is not too bad compared to later ones IMO. Though the Gia or notchback is horrible looking the, fastback can be worked with.

I only say this because I have a very clean 74 fastback in my backyard, with 65,000 original miles, loaded with everything. I'm going to put all the stock spoilers and stuff, paint the double stripes down the middle, put some wider modern rims and tires on it, maybe a 302 V8, but that requires drivetrain mods to handle the HP, it's got the 2.8 V6 in it now. All I need is a mullet, and I'd be stylin' :)
You don't see many of them because they were crushed and most people hated them, so they are a rarity. But only the Fastback is halfway decent looking.

That's not mine below but similar to what I want to do with it.

Daryl VayDar
08-19-2009, 04:50 PM
I'm pretty biased- I learned to drive in a 1967 Mustang Fastback. It was an amazing car- I started driving on the "back roads" going up to the family cabin. About 3/4 of the way there, we would turn off the main highway and take dirt the rest of the way in. Dirt road + '67 Fastback = 15 year old me in the ditch more than once!

I did find a pic of the same year/color on the interwebs, just not the exact car:

Qui-Long Gone
08-20-2009, 12:41 AM
^was it you and your brother Luke Duke driving those backroads? :razz:

TeeEye7
08-20-2009, 03:01 AM
I did find a pic of the same year/color on the interwebs, just not the exact car:

I found a picture of Daryl in action: ;)

Daryl VayDar
08-20-2009, 06:44 AM
Yeah- my Dad bought the car after seeing Bullitt- the sad part of the whole thing is that I had been promised those wheels as a 16th birthday present but he ended up selling the thing about 2 months before I got it!

Looking back it may be for the best... City streets + '67 Fastback = 16 year old me flying off a highway overpass! (Or buried in speeding tickets...:thumbsup:)

And QLG, sorry man- I was an only child, but I did raise heck on a tractor at my Uncle's farm growing up!

JediTricks
08-20-2009, 06:56 PM
My dad had one of those 64 1/2 Mustangs in bright orange red with a white interior, 13" wheels and a straight six engine. Yeah it was a glorified Falcon, but nicer looking.

The Mustang II is not too bad compared to later ones IMO. Though the Gia or notchback is horrible looking the, fastback can be worked with.

I only say this because I have a very clean 74 fastback in my backyard, with 65,000 original miles, loaded with everything. I'm going to put all the stock spoilers and stuff, paint the double stripes down the middle, put some wider modern rims and tires on it, maybe a 302 V8, but that requires drivetrain mods to handle the HP, it's got the 2.8 V6 in it now. All I need is a mullet, and I'd be stylin' :)
You don't see many of them because they were crushed and most people hated them, so they are a rarity. But only the Fastback is halfway decent looking.

That's not mine below but similar to what I want to do with it.My grandma had a bloated '70s Mustang when I was a kid, it was between her 3 Mercury Cougars. It's funny how a little styling change here and there can make all the difference. That Mustang she had was a bloated piece of crap, while the Cougars all looked pretty boss, yet they were pretty much the same car with just a few little changes. But it was much harder to like that era's Mustang.

It's all about personal tastes though.