PDA

View Full Version : I Started Bartending School

Tycho
08-19-2009, 01:09 PM
So I just got back from my first Bartending Academy class.

Fun stuff. I learned how to shape fruit peels and twists to make fancy drinks for all the ladies. :thumbsup:

Blue2th
08-19-2009, 01:33 PM
Dang dude, you gotta lotta hobbies, your livin' life! :thumbsup:

So you could open a sports bar (Padres theme) serve drinks, and play guitar and sing during happy hour. :yes:

pbarnard
08-19-2009, 02:28 PM
Careful, this could turn into gainful employment followed by a law suit for showing the baristas the Canadian club.

Qui-Long Gone
08-19-2009, 02:56 PM
I love bartenders, but I rarely see them since after I put the kiddos to bed I usually fall asleep around 10pm....:(

mtriv73
08-19-2009, 06:15 PM
Did they go over what to do with customers who release remote/radio controlled devices in the bar?

Darth Jax
08-19-2009, 07:42 PM
you just doing it for fun, since it doesn't seem like you'd make a career of it?

sith_killer_99
08-19-2009, 08:05 PM
I misread the title, I thought you said:

I Started Bartending at School.

I had images of Tycho mixing margarita's for college sorority babes, running through my head.:yes:

Needless to say, I am a bit disappointed by the realization.

BTW, enjoy T, I'm sure it will come in handy, especially when entertaining friends.

Also, I hear a lot of writers do stuff like this, research and such.

dr_evazan22
08-19-2009, 08:08 PM
If / when I get out to SD for SDCC I'll bring my TGI Friday's drink book. It has all the ingredients to all their drinks, just not the measurements. Maybe stay an extra day to recover from the hangover (or to keep the party going... detox on the plane!).

Tycho
08-20-2009, 02:46 AM
Did they go over what to do with customers who release remote/radio controlled devices in the bar?

Oh man! I better not ask for work in a few places around here. Thanks for reminding me.

you just doing it for fun, since it doesn't seem like you'd make a career of it?

Yeah. I mean you can make good money if you work the right places, but I just want an excuse to be out a lot and meet a lot of ladies :D

I had images of Tycho mixing margarita's for college sorority babes, running through my head.

Oh I definitely am already doing that. You should see who I'm going to school with!

Also, I hear a lot of writers do stuff like this, research and such.

It will also come in handy to pay my editor's bills and throw the rest into promoting the book (and series) when it's finally out.

But yeah, bars are full of ideas for prospective new characters. But it's great for strengthening your own character, too. Man does being the man behind the bar promote you to the top of the social pack fast.

There are a lot of responsibilities though - and keeping names and faces and bills all together inside your head while you're being distracted by that brunette in the corner is like a monumental challenge!

If / when I get out to SD for SDCC I'll bring my TGI Friday's drink book. It has all the ingredients to all their drinks, just not the measurements. Maybe stay an extra day to recover from the hangover (or to keep the party going... detox on the plane!).

It would be very cool to hang out with you again, Ari. We could even deliver another list to Hasbro. This time of mentally handicapped Star Wars fans who want an action figure of the Naboo Holy Man. (I do!) But as long as we are talking bars, Nyrat Agira should take priority there.

Darth Jax
08-20-2009, 08:59 AM
Yeah. I mean you can make good money if you work the right places, but I just want an excuse to be out a lot and meet a lot of ladies :D

I have several friends that manage/own bars (so i never pay when i go out drinking) and they all refuse to hire bartender school grads. They laugh at anyone who applies for a job with a degree from there. One of these days i'll get around to asking them why

scruffziller
08-22-2009, 11:26 AM
I misread the title, I thought you said:

I Started Bartending at School.

LOL!!!!!!!!!:D

Hey Tyco, introduce this drink to your class.

1 part Jagermeister

3 Parts Choclate Icecream mix

Shake and strain through ice cubes into a Hurricane Glass

Its name...

SLOSHED ZOMBIE.... pass it on.

mabudonicus
08-22-2009, 12:29 PM
I always wanted to make a drink called a "puking leprechaun" and it would be kahlua,tequila and goldschlager with an olive and a dollop of horseradish- when it inevitably reappeared there'd be little gold bits in it
:beard: Iso&baws&topes

I would never drink such a thing myself, but maybe make a tray of shooters and watch the fun as they go from table to table in search of victims

LTBasker
08-22-2009, 01:54 PM
Can you make me a Jawa Juice yet?

Tycho
08-22-2009, 03:15 PM
No Jawa Juice, but I'm going to introduce taking shots with Mouse Droid Sniffing.

Basically it's like you drink tequilla, where you bite the lime and lick the salt with your shot.

Only instead you sniff the Mouse, then take your shot.

I can assure you all that I am the very first person to ever invent this drink.

Blue2th
08-22-2009, 09:02 PM
Does that have a plasticky aroma aftertaste to it? :)

You need to make something like that blue milk with a kick to it. Maybe blueberry soda coconut rum concoction, call it Aunt Beru Brew.

The ladies might like that ya think?

Tycho
08-28-2009, 11:38 PM
I got my first gig bartending and you won't believe THIS:

I'm on at a bacheolorette party next week! There will be a bunch of 20-something ladies there to mix the drinks for. Yeah. Good times!

Darth Cruel
08-29-2009, 10:20 AM
Been thinking of doing this myself. What Bartending school did you go to? How long did it take? And how much did it cost?

Tycho
08-29-2009, 11:51 AM
It's a local bartending school in San Diego.

It's a 2 week course, 5 days, 10-1 every day with 1/2 of that being practice.

No you don't apply for jobs with "degrees from bartending academies" but it really helps to know about alcohols and what goes in different drinks, especially if you yourself do not drink (like me, especially after a kidney transplant). I'm totally in it for the ladies. I'll use the extra money for promoting my novel-writing efforts though (editors, book conventions, solicitation material, what-not). However, my interest is to wake up with a babe who's ready to go again and not a hangover with "Accederine written all over it." Drinking is lame (except it makes you money off whomever you're pouring for). Be a sex-fiend instead.

Of course I could take my training and be a bartender at a stripper club, too :D

Anyway, the course is $300 and I'm making that right back with my first night on the job. I also spent $20 on a recipe book for the exotics that includes a guide to what restaurants rename them when they add food-coloring, charge more, and tell customers "you can only get these here!" :rolleyes:

(Blue margaritas, etc.) :rolleyes:

It takes a little planning - you're taught how to do that: you want the number of guests, the age ranges (it helps you tell what they'll be drinking - older folks like Scotch instead of Jeager-bombs, etc.) and what kind of supplies you'll need: 12oz plastic cups or if you're working with a real bar someone has in their house with real shot glasses, or again, if you'll need the little plastic ones, napkins, trash bags, etc. - I don't personally buy these things but let the host supply them. Then they can keep them and I walk with my bottle opener, the cash, and a few girl's phone numbers.

You'll need to make up business cards too. They're useful in multiple ways. :twisted:

Anyway, this will move me further into the life I really want to be living. :twisted::yes:

You line up jobs based on your personality, too. I have the attention of several ladies in my bartending class which is why my teacher told me he selected me for this first job. I "blend well" in several ways I guess. :D But I also have the dilligence to be there and practice mixing drinks - often waiting outside the school before he even arrives to open the place, and staying after to practice everything so I get fast. I also do that: "write it out 5 x each thing" with my drink recipes like when you were punished in grade school....

"I will not pull up all the girls' skirts...
I will not pull up all the girls' skirts...
I will not pull up all the girls' skirts..."

(by high school, I think administration was really getting tired of having me do this, but my handwriting improved a lot)

scruffziller
08-29-2009, 02:06 PM
No Jawa Juice, but I'm going to introduce taking shots with Mouse Droid Sniffing.

Basically it's like you drink tequilla, where you bite the lime and lick the salt with your shot.

Only instead you sniff the Mouse, then take your shot.

I can assure you all that I am the very first person to ever invent this drink.

You should launch your own brand of Mouse Droid cocktail stirrers!:D

scruffziller
08-29-2009, 02:08 PM

You need to make something like that blue milk with a kick to it. Maybe blueberry soda coconut rum concoction, call it Aunt Beru Brew.

You know, I think I will try that myself!!!

Like mix it with Jones soda and Irish creme!!!

Im going down to the convenience store right now and get it!!!!

Qui-Long Gone
09-03-2009, 02:26 PM
It's only afternoon and I'm drunk from reading these posts! :D:stupid::cross-eye

Tycho
09-04-2009, 03:21 AM
Well I survived bartending my first my bachelorette party!

I made a lot of money and made a lot of new friends. *grin*

Now I'm invited to the wedding on Saturday - multiple times over!!! - (but I actually can't go because I have tickets to the Nickelback concert that night, but I haven't declined the invitation yet.)

I mentioned the concert to one and she's like "well come right afterward!"

The thing is, I'll have another girl with me and it's definitely not what the wedding gals have in mind - me showing up with anyone else I mean.

TeeEye7
09-04-2009, 11:55 AM

How about blue milk with bacta tank tonic?