PDA

View Full Version : What are the figures you absolutely DO NOT want to see made?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-19-2009, 10:12 PM
Seeing as how the Jocasta Nu debate has gotten even more heated than some recent health care town hall meetings ( :razz: ), I was wondering if there are really some figures that you just don't want to see. If so, why? For fear they'd sink the line, or because you don't want to see precious resources wasted, or because you just flat-out hate the character?

It sounds like a cop-out but I can't think of any. As a completist, I welcome any and all new figures. But I can do without the 97 different Darth Maul wannabe Sith pretenders from the Legacy comic, for instance.

RoonStones
08-19-2009, 10:26 PM
Well I can't see any particular character not be made. We as customers have the choice to buy or not to buy, and I ceased being a completist a long time ago. But I am getting rather tired of Hasbro trying to market another Clone Trooper by shifting the paint stripes and such. From a moneymaking point of view its so simple to take the same figure and market it as a "different" figure. Obviously people ARE buying them. But that's just a waste for me. Everytime I hear of another wave about to come out, I'm seeing 75% or more being either repacks or Malibu Stacy with New Hat figures. Those I could do without.

Personally, I find absolutely no use in the current Clone Wars line and I can't abide by the drawings. Once I saw that Duro bounty hunter dressed like a villian from a Shane movie (don't know the Duros' name and not going to look it up), I gave up all hope of trying to force myself to like it. The fact that the Battle Droids are written for comedic purposes is bad enough.

Anyways, this is turning into more of a rant than a direct answer to the topic. So let me simply say that I'm sure there's characters all of us wouldn't want made, but if they are, we'll simply not buy them.

El Chuxter
08-19-2009, 11:03 PM
I don't want to see any Legacy figures, but that's just me. Personally, I'm fine with whatever floats someone's boat; as long as it doesn't pegwarm, I can live with it.

I would really prefer that older figures who are still adequate don't get remade, though. Did we need three each of Momaw Nadon, Bossk, and Greedo? Did Typho really scream for a revisit in lieu of the still-unmade Cliegg Lars?

Obsession is Nute
08-19-2009, 11:08 PM
An interesting thread. I never gave it much thought until now.

I agree with Roon Stones, I really have minimal use for the CW line as the designs are often incompatable with the rest of my collection in a visual sense. However, some of the original characers like Cad Bane and General Loathsome I buy, as I can dismiss the visual differences as unique to that species (Loathsome) or unique to the individual (Bane).

The only other figures I could live without and I know I am in the super-minority on this, but I HATE the concept figures. Yes, yes I know how important the drawing were to conceptualizing the Star Wars universe...but that is what they did, they conceptualized it behind the scenes. The real Star Wars to me is what I saw on the silver screen and play, watch, and read in the EU. I just hate seeing concept figures taking up "non-repaint/new mold" slots in the Legacy Collection. That is just my opinion though.

Beyond that, I think all aspects of Star Wars canon have the right to be manifested in plastic goodness. I would just prefer some more than others (ROTS NUTE GUNRAY).

Obsession is Nute
08-19-2009, 11:10 PM
I don't want to see any Legacy figures, but that's just me. Personally, I'm fine with whatever floats someone's boat; as long as it doesn't pegwarm, I can live with it.

I would really prefer that older figures who are still adequate don't get remade, though. Did we need three each of Momaw Nadon, Bossk, and Greedo? Did Typho really scream for a revisit in lieu of the still-unmade Cliegg Lars?

Are you mainly a CL collector, Chux? Or are you just saying you don't like the selections for the upcoming waves?

El Chuxter
08-19-2009, 11:15 PM
CL? Cliegg Lars? Carded Legacy? I'm going to have to show my ignorance on this one. :)

I just think that, barring the original release being really lousy or outdated (like Dr Evazan or Barriss Offee), I'd much rather see totally new characters. I can see the logic in re-making core characters, even if I don't always agree with the decision. I was using Typho as an example: the 2002 figure isn't the best in the world, but it's perfectly adequate given his relatively minor role. It looks like him, it has a decent amount of articulation, and it isn't hampered by an action feature. For another AOTC figure in the wave, I would've much preferred someone unproduced (Cliegg being my personal choice), or a more necessary resculpt (peasant disguise Anakin would definitely be up there).

Cane_Adiss
08-19-2009, 11:31 PM
I'm not going to go and say there are any characters I don't want to see made, because its nice that everyone gets a little of the things that they like the most. I'm not as interested in the EU, so I don't really collect them much beyond the alien characters.

I understand the need for core characters and the assorted clones and army builders to be on the pegs at all times because otherwise the line wouldn't sell to its core demographic: the kids. But obviously I love the aliens and various backgrounders from the films the most, so I'll root for them to be made over a new Vader, Yoda, Obi-Wan, Ahsoka or Dooku.

Personally, even though they're not all at the top of my wishlist it would be nice to see Hasbro do Jaxxon, Jocasta, Ben Quadinaros, Ackmena, Amaiza (or any of the other characters that initially get a weak response from Hasbro) eventually. Honestly I would buy everyone on this list especially Ben and Ackmena, and I plan on buying Willrow when he becomes available. Kudos to those who really wanted him made!

As for my personal wishes, I'm just glad that several of my most wanted figures have gotten decently enthusiastic responses from Hasbro (Cane Adiss, the Mon Calamari Dancer, Rogwa Wodrata) and then again sometimes I'm disappointed too by their responses regarding others (Kal'Falnl C'ndros, Loje Nella, the Revwien, Ket Maliss).

I think most fans will have some satisfaction with what Hasbro gives us every year. Hell, I'm still in awe of the Leesub figure we're getting I just can't believe it. I still think it's just a big dream and she's not actually getting made. Not until the line is on it's last desperate death twitch, and certainly not before Bom, Ponda, or Evazan.

Qui-Long Gone
08-19-2009, 11:47 PM
I don't care to see EU figures made

I don't have an interest in seeing Clone Wars figures made

I don't like too many of a bad thing: Darth Mauls; carpy Lukes, Leias and Solos; and Vaders.

I don't want to see Jocasta become a Fan Figure....but I don't have a problem with her being made into a carded figure.

I don't want to see any Wookies from the Christmas Special made! Definitely DO NOT. Nor more younglings...

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-20-2009, 12:05 AM
I was using Typho as an example: the 2002 figure isn't the best in the world, but it's perfectly adequate given his relatively minor role. It looks like him, it has a decent amount of articulation, and it isn't hampered by an action feature. For another AOTC figure in the wave, I would've much preferred someone unproduced (Cliegg being my personal choice), or a more necessary resculpt (peasant disguise Anakin would definitely be up there).
I guess I was one of the people who wanted the new Typho, since it's of his second outfit, which he wears a lot more than the pilot one. He definitely wasn't at the top of my list but it's a good figure and it's nice to cross off another item from the wishlists (although, like you said, others do rank higher). I'm thinking they didn't make Cliegg this time around since they were already doing Owen and Beru and didn't want to overdose on the Lars clan. But I have no idea.

bigbarada
08-20-2009, 12:17 AM
The only figure I can honestly say I never want to see made is Willrow Hood; but that ship has sailed.:rolleyes:

Other than that, I just don't buy what I don't like. Currently, my primary focus is ROTJ figures, with an emphasis on background aliens. I can probably come up with 10-20 ANH figures that I would still want to see made (mostly Cantina Aliens), but I would be hard-pressed to come up with even 5 ESB figures that I would actually buy. As for Prequels, EU and Clone Wars, I'm only interested in figures based on alien races from ROTJ (Klatooinian, Nikto, Mon Calamari, etc.) or Wookiees; but even then I pass on 90% of what I see (I didn't buy either of the comic packs with the Amanin, or Mon Calamari and Quarren Pilots, but I did buy Tarados Gon).

So, as long as we get 3 or 4 new Skiff/Barge Guards and/or Jabba's Thugs per year, then I don't care what else is being produced.:)

Blue2th
08-20-2009, 12:42 AM
I personally don't want anything from the "made up universe" to me that's not even EU. No backstory no nothing, just a blatant attempt to make more money.
They don't do it so much like when we were getting all kinds of clones that had different stripes on them for a while right after ROTS, but never appeared anywhere, or the latest shadow trooper.
The same goes with vehicles. Case in point the Imperial ARC-170 or latest shadow vehicle.
A waist of time to repaint a clone with a racing stripe, when they won't even do a repaint of one who actually appeared somewhere.

Droid
08-20-2009, 07:43 AM
They can make whatever they want if it keeps the line going. But there are a handful of prequel figures I still care about. I don't really need any more Empire figures. At this point it is all about ANH and ROTJ, primarily the cantina and Jabba's Palace.

But to answer the question they can make who they want if it doesn't hurt the line.

But they should not make Jocasta Nu.

pbarnard
08-20-2009, 08:36 AM
I think they should vold the Saga Legends line. Hasbro has a redundancy built in with it's Greatest Hits or Heroes to fill out the case or whatever. Keep that part, but use that with Clones, Stormies, the occasional Vader, Han, Chewie etc to get them out to the kiddies.

The Yarna/Wilrow Hood/next oh we want it bad, and now that we got it boy is it going to collect more dust than RotS Pregnant Padmen and Mon Mothma at K-Mart combined.

Pretty soon, I'm going to say main characters. It's not just the minor tweaking, but it's the level of incompetence in the tweaking. IF they can do EU figures 100% accurate right off the bat, than a figure based off something with 10-10000x the visual references should be simple in theory. That's why the EU line will become the focus, especially if bundled with comics/exerpts/short stories. They're accurate, the perpetuate the saga, and they step over into a much larger universe.

RoonStones
08-20-2009, 09:05 AM
See here's the thing. I'm actually somewhat excited someone like Willrow Hood is being made. I guess I might chalk it up to remembering him as the only discernible character during that brief evacuation scene on Cloud City. This is a character that can round out a Bespin or even a Cantina diorama. Moreover, this is a character that hasn't been made at all.

Juxtapose this with attempts at making "new" characters that are either resculpts or new Clone Trooper stripes. To me, that's just Hasbro being lazy and showing signs they are running out of ideas. Obviously there's some demand for the more obscure characters like Ackmena or Jaxxon :thumbsup: and these I think are more important than the more recently created comic book characters, particularly some of the Rebellion characters that I had trouble differentiating because they all look the same.

And yes, I totally agree we DON'T need resculpts of characters that were great to begin with. I personally think there hasn't been a better Palpatine character since the 1997 (?) version. Likewise, we have great versions of the ESB bounty hunters. Resculpts are just as much a way to make money as they are taking up spots for new figs.

Devo
08-20-2009, 10:37 AM
The only figures I begrudge being made are the crap versions of many of the core characters we've been getting lately - Torture rack Han, TAC jabbas palace Luke, DSII Luke, Endor Han, Endor Leia, Evolutions Emperor, Chrome-dome R2-D2, overly clean&shiny C-3PO etc - and also the figures with blatantly idiotic mistakes like the ones that get something as simple as the colours of the costume wrong so they can release the corrected version later - evolutions Jango Fett, AOTC Obi-wan to name but two.

Apart from that they can make what they want. If I'm not interested I simply won't buy it.

There are some resculpts that, while an improvement, weren't exactly urgent such as Malakali and Bossk (yes it is a great figure but we wouldn't have known better). It always seems strange when a decent but evidently improveable figure like the POTF2 malakali gets resculpted before the truly awful (even at the time) Dr.Evazan.

Dengar is another character who will inevitably get resculpted next year and I don't think it'll be entirely necessary. The 2004 figure is still great.

NerfTW
08-20-2009, 11:13 AM
I'd say make anything and everything, but there's a few I'd say no way to:

Darth Plagieus (sp?)- Until we have more than a shadowy Muun with his face hidden to go off of, hold off on making a definitive figure. The design isn't even that inspired.

Random made up "player characters" from the MMORPG (either one)- Sorry, I'm just so annoyed at the Warcraft miniatures game not going back to it's strategy roots.

Naked and burned Boba Fett- Congrats Boba, on wearing a jet pack but not a flame retardant jumpsuit.

Any more George Lucas tribute figures. He got a pilot and a theater goer, that's plenty.

Dead younglings.

BADs of major characters, in waves not related to that character. Thank you, Dark Trooper, that torture robot from Jabba's palace, and HK-47.

Indiana Jones figures- let's keep the properties separate, kay?

Obsession is Nute
08-20-2009, 02:04 PM
CL? Cliegg Lars? Carded Legacy? I'm going to have to show my ignorance on this one. :)

I just think that, barring the original release being really lousy or outdated (like Dr Evazan or Barriss Offee), I'd much rather see totally new characters. I can see the logic in re-making core characters, even if I don't always agree with the decision. I was using Typho as an example: the 2002 figure isn't the best in the world, but it's perfectly adequate given his relatively minor role. It looks like him, it has a decent amount of articulation, and it isn't hampered by an action feature. For another AOTC figure in the wave, I would've much preferred someone unproduced (Cliegg being my personal choice), or a more necessary resculpt (peasant disguise Anakin would definitely be up there).

Sorry, CL = Clone Wars. I orginally thought you were against the Legacy Line in general so I was curious what you collected. But I understand what you meant. I agree 100% with your sentiments and Typho is a good example. That is what confuses me about Hasbro sometimes. You would think they would either produce A: Figures that cost nothing and sell well (Lets repaint another clone!) of B: Figures that the collecting community wants but everyone knows will not sell. Typho fits niether, I don't recall hearing any demand from anyone for a Typho remake. I don't think he even registered on the last SSG Fan Poll we conducted.

Devo
08-20-2009, 02:32 PM
I don't recall hearing any demand from anyone for a Typho remake. I don't think he even registered on the last SSG Fan Poll we conducted.

Again though, the new Typho is not a ''remake'' - its a different outfit than the one from 2002. Probably true that no one was crying out for him however.

RENDAR LIVES
08-20-2009, 05:22 PM
There are several figures I wouldn't buy just because I don't have the space or money. Even if I somehow won the lottery it would be because of a lack of interest. However I don't see a reason for any character to not be made because every fan has a different flavor. I may not care for Bom Vimdon (sorry if I didn't spell it right) but I like Ithorians. Besides that I would like to see the line thrive and expand just because I love Star Wars and anyway the franchise can benefiet is good enough for me.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-20-2009, 06:23 PM
Sorry, CL = Clone Wars. I orginally thought you were against the Legacy Line in general so I was curious what you collected.
I'm pretty sure he meant the Legacy comic (I mentioned it also in my first post), not Legacy Collection. He hates the new Clone Wars, so I doubt he gets a whole lot from that line. :p

El Chuxter
08-20-2009, 11:07 PM
Hate is a bit strong. I don't care for it. Hate would imply effort on my part. It's simply more fun to complain online than to praise, so it may come across that way. I'll admit, my daughter likes Clone Wars... but, no joke, she prefers the Tartakovsky version. (She gets her good taste in animation from me. She's already got two Miyazaki's under her belt and is begging to watch Ponyo.)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-20-2009, 11:26 PM
Since I was already speaking for you, I just went ahead and made your feelings stronger. :p

Dice Ibegon
08-21-2009, 07:39 AM
I would be more than happy for the CW line to end right now. Sick to death of seeing them warming the pegs at my local TRU while all other lines are not on the shelves at all. I don't like the sucky animated look of the figs and will never ever buy a single fig from this line.

I would also be happy to never see another clone/stormtrooper/sandtrooper/snowtrooper, any pointless hologram figs or R2-D2

Qui-Long Gone
08-21-2009, 08:11 AM
^I for one do not want to see hologram figures made...what a waste...

Slicker
08-21-2009, 08:12 AM
Any and all EU figures. Carp. Just carp.

NerfTW
08-21-2009, 09:38 AM
I love EU, but really, it's not like they're taking up loads of space. They're pretty exclusively limited to the comic packs and one wave every two years. (Not counting the debate over whether deleted scenes are EU) Oh, and the odd BAD, which I just hate. And it's not like comic packs of the movie characters make much sense.

As for the Clone Wars figures, I think Hasbro made the stupidest marketing decision ever not making the packages distinctly different. Even I can barely tell when they get mixed together. Of course a minimum wage employee who's dealing with an entire store full of toys is going to assume they're the same product.

Dark Marble
08-21-2009, 11:14 AM
I think that I can echo a lot of the sentiments here as being a person that believes I can skip figures I don't want and let others have the ones they would really like to see.

That said, personally...I hope never to see any updates or reissues to the droids and ewoks cartoon figures and I don't want to see anything based off off the Star Wars Holiday Special. I absolutely hope that the collection will never see charred Owen and Beru skeletons. I don't want to see any type of reissues on vintage figures (1977 thru 1985).

I don't mind the Clone Wars figures because sales there are getting me the figures I want and keeping people interested. I don't collect them, but I can see why others do.

Devo
08-22-2009, 07:49 AM
I absolutely hope that the collection will never see charred Owen and Beru skeletons.

Explain this outrageous position! ;)

Well, I'm not going to campaign for them to be made but I wouldn't campaign against them either. I don't have any particular squeemishness or moral objection about 'dead' figures. But they missed the best opportunity to release these, if they were ever going to, with the homestead BP.

I agree with Dice Ibegon - I'd shed no tears for the Clone Wars animated line. Its all I see in shops now and I'm sick of it.

TheDarthVader
08-22-2009, 08:42 AM
No EU, no more Clone Wars unless it is Ashoka Tano or someone halfway interesting, no more darth vaders, no more poorly head sculpted lukes, no more poor head sculpt solos, no more out of scale figures, no more wide stances.

Blue2th
08-22-2009, 11:45 AM
I would gladly give up ball jointed heads in favor of more authentic sculpted ones, and have them just be able to move side to side. They don't really need to move up and down IMO.

I love the super-articulation, but the head is the one area that has suffered because of it, unless it's a fully helmeted figure like a Clone or Stormtrooper.

We can't expect Hasbro to reverse all the "progress" they've made though.

vger
08-22-2009, 01:56 PM
I would gladly give up ball jointed heads in favor of more authentic sculpted ones, and have them just be able to move side to side. They don't really need to move up and down IMO.

I love the super-articulation, but the head is the one area that has suffered because of it, unless it's a fully helmeted figure like a Clone or Stormtrooper.

We can't expect Hasbro to reverse all the "progress" they've made though.

I like the balljointed heads. If Hasbro would make all the neck pegs the same size, then it would be much easier to do headswap customs or just temporary headswaps when kids want characters other than Luke and Han in stormtrooper disguise (Obi-Wan, Lando, etc). It adds to the play value of the figures.

Snowtrooper
08-22-2009, 02:18 PM
There is no figure I can think of right off that I don't want to be made. But there are figures I would prefer that they make over another.

My pet peeve with figures is the wide stance. Its a major detraction cause it looks so unnatural. Hasbro can make a great figure and have it ruined with a silly looking wide stance, Yavin Honor Guard being a prime example. IMO, a figures stance should be no wider than 1 inch(an exception made for figures that have to sit atop something). Anything beyond that just looks silly.

Obsession is Nute
08-22-2009, 03:18 PM
I'm pretty sure he meant the Legacy comic (I mentioned it also in my first post), not Legacy Collection. He hates the new Clone Wars, so I doubt he gets a whole lot from that line. :p

Well sounds like we have something in common.

I don't hate the Clone Wars series...per se. But I do hate the fact that Lucasfilm is saying "Don't worry about how it fits in, we will figure that out later." To me, that is basically saying "We are not even considering the existing Clone Wars material in makng this series. We will worry about that when when we have stopped counting our millions from this series." Pretty much a big middle finger to the existing fanbase that has spent thousands on various liscensed material. I appreciate that the Clone Wars is bringing in new blood to the fandom, but I think the storytelling could be better. I have bought a few CW figures, but if the line dissapeared tomorrow, I wouldn't really care.

I have high hopes for the live-action series. I read that they have hired good writers from Australia. I would love to see a SW series set in the post-ROTS galaxy (virtually 18 years on no existing canon with Vader running around!), with a sweeping, cohesive storyline reminisent of Babylon 5.

I too couldn't care less for the Legacy Comic series. The farther out from ROTJ the timeline goes, the less interest I have, the sole exception being Crimson Empire era.

Oh and I would like to add "Any and all figures with cloth capes, cloaks, or dresses."

palps45895
08-22-2009, 05:12 PM
:upset:I don't want to see anymore figures that are anywhere nearly the same with new paint apps or variants...

I sick of paint variants. That new AT-ST Driver variant really has me ticked off...