PDA

View Full Version : SSG's Tri-Weekly Hasbro Q&A - August 20th

JediTricks
08-20-2009, 03:26 PM
Just 10 days after the last round, it's Hasbro's answers to SSG questions for August 20th, 2009. Thanks again to Hasbro for the answers, to all the folks who sent in questions and especially those who voted on them.

Hasbro Q&A for the week of August 20th

SSG: Resculpts and Clone Wars outfits notwithstanding, there are 20 new outfits for Padme Amidala that you could still produce, and nine years left until your license expires. That said, what's your plan for our favorite queen-turned-senator? Relatively lackluster sales of Breha Organa, another regal female character, might point to a lack of interest in new Padme outfits; there's also the fact that many of the costumes are similar to one another in style and color, particularly her many dark blue and purple ROTS robes. However, when released in cautious numbers, Padme can fully sell through and satiate collectors. Do you plan on making all of her outfits over the course of the line? If not, then how many more do you think we can expect to see, and which ones are most likely?
Hasbro: We do not have a specific plan for Padme other than generally planning one version of her a year. In anything other than her adventure gear or Arena outfit, she is not the strongest figure and there are lot sof other "sub-groups" that we would like ot plan on getting to. It's possible that someday we'll get to do another pack like the "Evolutions" pack featuring Padme, but there are currently no plans for anything other than a basic figure.

SSG: There is some confusion for the tail end of the Titanium Series line, what with the wave numbers and date cards shown at SDCC. The Mist Hunter is showing up in retailers' computers in wave 10, while your slide show says the previous wave that should have hit shelves before it in late July and includes 3 new tools - the Republic Gunship, Punishing One, and the Malevolence - is nowhere to be found in retailers computers, nor is the wave after the Mist Hunter with the Outrider and Nebulon B frigate. Where does this confusion lie, and will those sets actually get released or will they get lost the way the Gungan Sub and Basestar did? If they are still on track for release, what are those waves and when are they slated for?
Hasbro: You are right - we did mess up and the Mist Hunter is in a separate wave. We can confirm that the other waves will be released even though they do not appear to be actively listed in the system yet of the particular retailer you checked.

SSG: At some point during SDCC, photos were taken of a second Utai figure standing near the Utai Varactyl Wrangler figure on display during the rest of the show and the slideshow panel, however there was no mention of this figure anywhere and it wasn't shown during the main display. This second Utai has a stockier head, different deco, and no headgear. What is the deal with this Utai, will it be released as a running change, has it been cut, and could we get a clearer photo of this figure?
Hasbro: The second Utai has been cut due to costing issues and we do not have plans for a running change since our Utai pack was only planned for one wave. We will see how he does; if it does well we may release the second Utai at a later date in either basic figure or some other form.

- - -

And our questions at CollectionStation.com (http://www.collectionstation.com/groups/view/Star-Wars/Official-Hasbro-Star-Wars-Q-A-820_58):

Understanding that new tooling costs are a major prohibitive factor in creating playsets, has the Hasbro SW team considered digging out the original GI Joe Headquarters playset tooling to repurpose for the Clone Wars line? Its design is generic sci-fi enough that without resculpting it could pass as a Republic base - such as Rishi Station from "Rookiees" - with simply a different sticker sheet for the control panels. It has a landing pad, a hallway/garage for BARC Speeders, and basic features that keep costs down but fit Clone Wars play patterns. So, any thought given to this idea before? If not, what do you think, and what would its chances be?
With the inclusion of alternate "sitting" legs for the new Slave Leia, it reminds us all that Oola hasn't had an update in over a decade, and could also use legs to sit next to Jabba. Any chance of getting a new Oola with similar alternate sitting legs so she could sit on the Jabba's dais we all hope you'll make soon?
In ye olden days, playsets were keen, but MICRO-scale playsets were really where it was at. Old-skool fans still to this day fondly remember Kenner's expansive Micro Collection series. And Galoob put themselves on the map in the mid-'90s with nearly 30 different creative, clever, fun Micro Machines playsets. Granted, Hasbro's stance on playsets for the 3.75" market is abundantly clear in that there's no mass market left there, but has any thought been put into playsets for the ongoing Galactic Heroes line? The brand's cute little styling could translate very well to playsets, and the brand has legs with both kids and collectors. Collectors love to put figures in context, and kids can always use environments to structure play patterns. The cardboard "playsets" from the recent battle packs are nifty, but kids play rough and cardboard doesn't take much abuse. Competitor Fisher-Price's Imaginext line has tons of creative and fun playsets around the same scale as G. Heroes which some kids have repurposed into Star Wars environments such as Jabba's Sail Barge from the pirate ship. So what about actual playsets for Galactic Heroes?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-20-2009, 05:52 PM
The Padmé answer wasn't quite what I hoped, but it's not awful. Hopefully they work out the Utai issue, since a second one would be awesome.

The GalacticHunter questions had an interesting tidbit about Jabba; they want to do it big and do it right, but the tons of exclusives this fall need to sell so they can continue to do this sort of thing. I was planning on getting everything anyway so the rest of you better step it up. :p

El Chuxter
08-20-2009, 10:50 PM
I can't pass on a Dewback. If I can find it, it's mine. And, if it means helping the chances for a proper Jabba, next time I see the droid sets, I'll snag at least Corran and I5 (and get Whistler and a useless Maul).

The answer about the Terrordrome is weird. That would require major sculpt changes, IIRC, due to the Firebat launchpad and giant embossed Cobra logo.

sebillba
08-21-2009, 04:35 AM
That really sucks about the Utai, this has been one of my most wanted figures for so long, and whilst I'm stoked to be getting one at all, the version without the headgear would've been my first choice - it just makes it more frustrating to have seen they've tooled it, but will probably never release it. Just got to keep my fingers crossed the first one sells well enough to eventually get the other one.

pbarnard
08-21-2009, 09:32 AM
The answer about the Terrordrome is weird. That would require major sculpt changes, IIRC, due to the Firebat launchpad and giant embossed Cobra logo.

The logo on the dome is a sticker. Or you talking the molded Cobra logos on the large blue plates?

NerfTW
08-21-2009, 09:50 AM

Haven't they done that in reverse already? The Arena playset being re purposed somewhere with the droid parts molded into the base still visible?

Ando
08-21-2009, 03:34 PM
I agree with El Chuxter... That Terror Dome answer *was* weird, but it also sorta sounded like a hint. Did anyone else get that impression?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-21-2009, 05:23 PM
I agree with El Chuxter... That Terror Dome answer *was* weird, but it also sorta sounded like a hint. Did anyone else get that impression?
It almost sounded like that, but I'm pretty sure they were just having fun with the answer.

JediTricks
08-23-2009, 12:41 AM
The answer about the Terrordrome is weird. That would require major sculpt changes, IIRC, due to the Firebat launchpad and giant embossed Cobra logo.It was just a joke. Made me chuckle. Doesn't look a thing like any Separatist stronghold I can remember.

El Chuxter
08-23-2009, 11:49 AM
A'ight. Not following the 'toon, I wasn't sure of that.

JediTricks
08-24-2009, 04:18 PM
A'ight. Not following the 'toon, I wasn't sure of that.
You should give it more of a shot. It's not Legacy. :p

Anyway, I've posted the Other Sites questions roundup:
http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=13&p2_articleid=1936

I haven't had a chance to look at this yet beyond skimming for language issues, but there are 3 new pictures in there so there's definitely something to talk about. Check it out and come back and discuss it so it'll remind me to go through it all. ;)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-24-2009, 05:28 PM
I read most of these when they first went up, but the first answer to the first question is interesting in that they mention Tarkin among the OT characters appearing in the cartoon. If true, and not a misprint, that would be beyond f'in' cool.

Darth Metalmute
08-26-2009, 07:55 AM
Somebody help me out.
I just read the questions from other sites and once again there is a Tonnika Sisters question. Can somebody please tell me the appeal of getting these figures? Is it just because they are chicks? Is it because Hasbro told us no we would never get them and that makes people want them more? Because outside of a cantina diorama that takes up a entire bedroom, I just don't get it.

pbarnard
08-26-2009, 08:53 AM
Somebody help me out.
I just read the questions from other sites and once again there is a Tonnika Sisters question. Can somebody please tell me the appeal of getting these figures? Is it just because they are chicks? Is it because Hasbro told us no we would never get them and that makes people want them more? Because outside of a cantina diorama that takes up a entire bedroom, I just don't get it.

You mean you don't have a cantina dio that takes up a whole room yet? :thumbsup: There's that, plus they were visible, not like some of the more invisible cantina characters that have been made. Also, there's a customizing angle, there's a limited amount of female bodies to choose from relative to male.

Darth Metalmute
08-26-2009, 09:08 AM
You mean you don't have a cantina dio that takes up a whole room yet? :thumbsup: There's that, plus they were visible, not like some of the more invisible cantina characters that have been made. Also, there's a customizing angle, there's a limited amount of female bodies to choose from relative to male.

Actually I did my Star Wars room in the Death Star Trash Compactor.
It was easy too, all I did was throw everything on the floor and never pick it up. Throw in a few Cardboard stand ups and you got a lifesize diorama.:lipsrsealed:

It just seems like the more people ask to get them, the louder Hasbro will say no, until one day they get us back by releasing an entire wave of EU Darth Maul figures. You know the ones we have all been clamoring for; Darth Maul - Sith Workout, Darth Maul - PJ party, Darth Maul with Crystal Skull assessory.......

Speaking of which, now that we have done a most wanted figure pole, we should do a least wanted figure pole.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-26-2009, 11:55 AM
You should give it more of a shot. It's not Legacy. :p

Anyway, I've posted the Other Sites questions roundup:
http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=13&p2_articleid=1936

I haven't had a chance to look at this yet beyond skimming for language issues, but there are 3 new pictures in there so there's definitely something to talk about. Check it out and come back and discuss it so it'll remind me to go through it all. ;)
I noticed a couple sites had questions where they asked which figures were off limits for the poll.

GalacticHunter.com: Ummm... so with this Fan's Choice Poll, we're assuming that everything is on the table? If not, please give us a breakdown and the reason(s) involved.
Hasbro: We discussed this with Lucasfilm prior to the announcement and we decided not to rule out anyone from the vote. The only stipulation we put was to draw the line between the Legacy Collection and Clone Wars characters, to maintain the separation of those two lines. Although fans can vote for anyone, it does not mean that every figure who makes the top 30 this year will, or could, be made down the road. There are still a couple figures from the last fans' choice vote that cannot be made, even if the same characters happen to win this time, since everything is subject to Lucasfilm approval. We will say that, like the last fans' vote, this one is likely to have a deep and long-lasting influence on our lineup.

Toymania.com: The fan's vote contest is coming up and all types of characters are going to be thrown into the hat. However, there are a few characters (Tonnika Sisters for example) that we have been told are "off-limits" for various reasons. Could you please publish a list of these so we don't waste our votes on these characters?
Hasbro: We purposefully decided not to publish a list of the characters that Lucasfilm has deemed "off limits" in order to get the purest data on what fans want to see. However, the list of figures that cannot be made is a very short list. In the very unlikely event that one of these comes in first place in the poll, we will discuss with Lucasfilm. If it's still not possible to produce that figure, we'll have to go to second choice.

That seems to indicate that the Tonnikas are probably still off limits, but that if one of the other ones that we excluded happened to win the final poll, they would check with Lucasfilm.

pbarnard
08-26-2009, 12:07 PM
I noticed a couple sites had questions where they asked which figures were off limits for the poll.

That seems to indicate that the Tonnikas are probably still off limits, but that if one of the other ones that we excluded happened to win the final poll, they would check with Lucasfilm.

Why go through all that work just to have LFL say no? Their positions won't magically change. I don't get why Hasbro wasn't more blunt, you can ask, we already have, hope you like the door slammed in your face.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-26-2009, 12:18 PM
Why go through all that work just to have LFL say no? Their positions won't magically change. I don't get why Hasbro wasn't more blunt, you can ask, we already have, hope you like the door slammed in your face.
That's kind of what I was wondering. It seemed like they were pretty adamant about which figures couldn't be made, but then, too late to be any use for these polls, they say nothing was off the table for the sake of "purest data." So, since they won't show up in most sites' polls, they'll think we don't want them anymore because everything was on the table and we didn't vote for them.

No big deal I guess, because, other than the Tonnikas, I doubt any of the other forbidden figures would get enough support, and the Tonnikas aren't going to be made anyway.

NerfTW
08-26-2009, 12:23 PM
I was under the impression the Tonnika sisters are the only ones with a legal issue. All others are simply a Lucas decision, meaning that if they got enough support, they still have a chance to sway their minds. Therefore, anything but the sisters should be fair game. If a figure the Lucas won't change his stance on wins, no problem, go to number two.

El Chuxter
08-26-2009, 12:27 PM
Then we should assume that there were lots of votes for Akmena, and she should be #7 on the first list and #12 on the second. :D

Mad Slanted Powers
08-26-2009, 01:03 PM
Then we should assume that there were lots of votes for Akmena, and she should be #7 on the first list and #12 on the second. :D

We could, but unless she was #1 on both lists and all the other site lists and in the final poll, they probably wouldn't bother to ask Lucasfilm about it.

JediTricks
08-26-2009, 01:54 PM
I read most of these when they first went up, but the first answer to the first question is interesting in that they mention Tarkin among the OT characters appearing in the cartoon. If true, and not a misprint, that would be beyond f'in' cool.Good eye, thanks for pointing that out, I skimmed the question because it SEEMED like a standard answer, but it so totally wasn't.

Somebody help me out.
I just read the questions from other sites and once again there is a Tonnika Sisters question. Can somebody please tell me the appeal of getting these figures? Is it just because they are chicks? Is it because Hasbro told us no we would never get them and that makes people want them more? Because outside of a cantina diorama that takes up a entire bedroom, I just don't get it.I've always wanted the Tonnikas, you can read my comments in SSG year in review going back a decade and you'll see that request. I think they're a very interesting addition to the cantina scene. In a movie filled with male characters, they stand out as saying something about the cantina that's unique, they add a flavor to the environment there that changes its tone a little. It's like in those cowboy movies where the saloon is just guys and you see poker being played and fistfights and gunfights and grunting and spitting, but you add a dame or 2 and all of a sudden the atmosphere is different. And it speaks about them that those characters would be interested in going to a place as nefarious as the cantina. In many ways, they're just as alien as any other alien there. But it's unique to the Tonnikas, it's not something that would make sense in other environments.

That seems to indicate that the Tonnikas are probably still off limits, but that if one of the other ones that we excluded happened to win the final poll, they would check with Lucasfilm.Cool. I feel solid in keeping those figures out then, I know it could have sent a message to Lucasfilm but it seems to me like LFL already knows we want them, so it's a waste of a vote since they're just going to say no once it gets there.

Why go through all that work just to have LFL say no? Their positions won't magically change. I don't get why Hasbro wasn't more blunt, you can ask, we already have, hope you like the door slammed in your face.Ugh, I wish I had just read the next post first so I wouldn't have had to type up a paragraph instead of just quoting yours and saying "yeah!" :p

This whole situation was so rushed that there's no right answer, everything is done on the fly and the decisions made are the decisions they are. Hopefully that means they'll be right, but if not there'd at least be understanding from TPTB.

JediTricks
08-26-2009, 03:27 PM
Wow, they're doing another OT Y-wing next year based on the Kenner tooling but with updates to the molds which should address a lot of issues and yet be cheaper than the new CW Y-wing! That's fantastic news, I can't wait to hear more on that one.

And check out this answer, I hope it means good news for at least Slave I:

ThePrivateUniverse.co.uk: With 2010 being the 30 anniversary of The Empire Strikes Back are we likely to see a new rescaled Slave 1 or the much wanted Bespin Cloud Car vehicle?
Hasbro: It's too early to reveal any specifics, but if any of these are in the lineup it will be revealed at Toy Fare in February (or possibly the U.K. Toy Fair the week prior).

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-26-2009, 05:25 PM
I'm ambivalent about a new Slave I, since I think the ones they already made are fine. I could see them doing one, though, if Boba is in the cartoon a lot - perhaps they're designing a new one with repaints in mind, for the future live-action series? Dunno. But a Cloud Car would be very, very welcome.

JediTricks
08-27-2009, 02:26 PM
The Kenner Slave I is so boring inside, basically they didn't design an interior and it really hurts that toy. The AOTC mold is a fun toy, but it's not much of a Slave I inside, it's just a small, cramped standing cockpit. Slave I needs some cool interiors and a rear hatch to make it great. That ball-launcher and missile gizmo in the AOTC version take up too much space and dominate the toy, once you're done with them it's not as much fun to have around.

As an owner of the Kenner Cloud Car, I am confident in saying that it is a nothing-special toy, it's not an exciting vehicle to play with, it doesn't have anything going on. Without adding sound effects and a light-up engine which Hasbro ain't gonna do, I cannot imagine a new version being any more than the original aside from perhaps some weathering (there's not much detail to paint on a Cloud Car). There's a reason the vintage Cloud Car sells on ebay for well less than the vintage Cloud Car Pilot. It would be cheaper for fans to just buy the originals on ebay, many of them have closed for ten bucks, than to waste space on store shelves with a new, $25 model. I mean, what do you expect of a new one to have improvements over the original realistically? What merits making this aside from "it was in the movie"?

pbarnard
08-27-2009, 03:13 PM
What merits making this aside from "it was in the movie"?

If you go original ESB, it's on screen for about as much time as Jocasta Nu in AotC; if you go special edition, twice as much. :thumbsup:

NerfTW
08-27-2009, 03:39 PM
If you go original ESB, it's on screen for about as much time as Jocasta Nu in AotC; if you go special edition, twice as much. :thumbsup:

And yet one of those items has been made, and the other hasn't, so it really doesn't compare.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-27-2009, 05:42 PM
It's an interesting design that gets a fair amount of screen time and interacts with the Falcon. I don't like to mix the vintage line with the modern line, so I won't be getting a vintage Cloud Car. But it is one of the few items from the vintage line to still not be updated.

bigbarada
08-27-2009, 07:49 PM
SWcollector.com: Looking over my old vintage figures, it's hard not to be impressed by the attention given to the Jabba's palace characters. The detail on figures like Squid Head and Bib Fortuna was some of the best work of it's time. I'm hoping that someday soon Hasbro will start turning more attention towards Jabba's gang. When I look over the list of vintage characters from Jabba's palace: Gamorrean Guard, Ree-Yees, Weequay, Squid Head, Nikto, Klaatu, Rancor Keeper, Bib Fortuna, Klaatu (Skiff Guard), 8-D8, Amanaman, Barada, EV-9D9 and Yak Face, almost all, with the exception of the soon to come Rancor Keeper, are in need of a nicely articulated modern version. Bib Fortuna especially needs a definitive update with articulation! The new palace characters that you have been making are great, but are there plans for new versions of the vintage characters? - James
Hasbro: We think you'll be pleased with our plans. Many of the characters youcite are on our radar for the next couple of years. We're sorry to saythat Bib, though, is not on our short list as he got what we feel is apretty spiffy update in the Saga Collection lineup just a few years back(we don't think articulation is the answer for everything, especiallysince we see Bib do so little).

This is probably the most encouraging bit of news for me. As much as I want new Skiff Guards and more of the never-before-made characters from Jabba's Palace, I will always be excited to see updates and remakes of the original Kenner Jabba's Palace/Skiff Guard figures. And I would literally crap myself with joy if Hasbro made a super-articulated Barada resculpt on the same level as VTAC Bossk.

Devo
08-27-2009, 08:44 PM
Glad to see they won't be wasting new tooling on a Bib Fortuna - the figure we have is fine, softgoods would more than likely look terrible on this guy. I'd much rather get new characters and resculpts of figures that are more clearly dated.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-28-2009, 01:06 PM
In Hasbro's own round-up (http://www.hasbro.com/starwars/en_US/discover/news/article.cfm?newsid=4CF1D952-D56F-E112-48700E90E3825032), they clarified the Tarkin answer:

UPDATE: We meant to answer with Yularen instead of Tarkin. Sorry - did not mean to mislead. As far as we know Tarkin has not shown up in the series.
So, eh, nothing special after all.

JediTricks
09-01-2009, 03:05 PM
I've just updated the Other Sites list to include an updated answer and 2 more sites' Q&As. One has a photo of the Force FX Asajj Ventress Lightsaber.

I'm disappointed that the Asajj Force FX saber hilt really does look like it did at Comic-Con, it's not chromey at all, it's kind of bland. I realize they are basing it solely on the new Clone Wars CGI version, but it's just not that accurate either.

What else though? Keep in mind, producing a vehicle is much more expensive than a figure.

It's an interesting design that gets a fair amount of screen time and interacts with the Falcon. I don't like to mix the vintage line with the modern line, so I won't be getting a vintage Cloud Car. But it is one of the few items from the vintage line to still not be updated.I dunno, it's not really in the film all that much or even in the camera, it barely does anything in the film but fly near the Falcon, we don't even see the 1 time it shoots at the Falcon. Are there any stronger reasons?

Some stuff from the vintage line is never going to be updated most likely, such as the Rebel Transport vehicle/carrying case, the playsets, mini-rigs, anything not a figure has much less chances of being remade, and the Cloud Car is in that territory.

pbarnard
09-01-2009, 03:45 PM
What else though? Keep in mind, producing a vehicle is much more expensive than a figure.

I'm just trying to remind a certain some one that he'll be buying us all figures so he can't waste his money on vehicles. :thumbsup: I do get the basic economics, plus with Hasbro finally junking the o-ring molds from GI Joe after all this time, I wonder how damaged/pitted and rusted this one could be. Definitely not worth their effort more than likely.

LTBasker
09-01-2009, 03:46 PM
Honestly, I think the larger Droid Fighter they have in the starfighter assortment is far more boring than the Cloud Car, but the garish orange coloring makes it seem too comical and out of place. Granted, I think if they really wanted to, they could market a new version of the Cloud Car - but only for a limited release as a store exclusive.

Toss in some missile launchers, hidden weapons, some storage areas and have the packaging depict Cloud Cars shooting up some TIE Fighters as an Imperial brigade closes in on the city and it could be seen as cool enough. Admittedly, though, I don't think Hasbro would go that far for a one-shot exclusive even if it was for ESB's anniversary.

JediTricks
09-01-2009, 08:59 PM
The Cloud Car doesn't have kid-friendly marketing power though. It's not "aggressive" (it has 1 dinky blaster on each pod). It's not especially memorable. And it's not in the new series. The Super Droid Starfighter has guns, firing missiles, and it transforms into a large walker robot.

"but only for a limited release as a store exclusive." - well, that's the catch, right? You make it a limited release and it'll cost more, but it's not going to be a bigger toy because it is what it is, so then what? Are folks really going to drop $40 on a Cloud Car? I highly doubt it.

Droid
09-02-2009, 05:56 AM
This is another example of something I would have bought in a second up until a few years ago. But space became a premium. I have sold most of my vehicles and shot of a redo of the skiff or possibly a Sail Barge I will likely pass on all new vehicles.

JediTricks
09-02-2009, 12:59 PM
I'm not against the Cloud Car, per se, but I do have limited space to dedicate to vehicles, so something has to be cool now to get bought. I don't regret not getting the AT-TE or Turbo Tank, but I do regret getting the Sith Infiltrator.

Ando
09-02-2009, 03:21 PM
The Cloud Car was one of the SW toys that I never had when I was a kid and at this point I wouldn't get, unless I planned on setting up a Bespin diorama and I had tons of room for 1 or 2 and they were giving them away,

I do however remember wanting one when I was little because it was kinda weird and different looking.