PDA

View Full Version : Second 2009 ESB wave (with Willrow Hood)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-24-2009, 05:42 PM
I assume SSG will have carded pics up soon, but if not, they're out there.

The Snowtrooper strikes me as an odd choice since it looks more GI Joe than SW and we already have the 2007 concept snowtrooper. I'm also not sure why it says "Concept Art" twice on the package.

The AT-AT Driver, another wholly unnecessary figure, looks pretty damn sweet. He's rockin' some killer sideburns. :D

The position of Luke's lightsaber in the package is beyond unfortunate. They really should have given him an ignited one (right now, it looks like he's - erm - igniting himself). Otherwise, it looks great.

I'm glad they switched the olive R2-X2 from the BAD body to the R4-G9 one; that one has more weight to it. I'm somewhat surprised they didn't change the name since we already have the black one from 2006. He and the snowtrooper share the right leg, so hopefully they'll both be easy to find.

Willrow Hood looks awesome, but they should have put him in a more dynamic pose, I think. The card art is really strange - is that the same actor, from an archive picture or something? The hair looks photoshopped in.

Zuckuss looks great as well. The 1998 version is still passable, but it'll be nice to have one that can hold the gun like in the film. Again, not sure about the card art; the silver circular thing on his "nose" should have more lines, like the figure has. Dunno.

The Bespin Wing Guard hasn't been shown yet (I mean, apart from his SDCC appearance, of course).

bigbarada
08-24-2009, 08:09 PM
Articulation notwithstanding, that AT-AT Driver seems to be inferior in every way to the 2006 figure.

SirSteve
08-24-2009, 08:49 PM
We have them posted (check the home page). Sorry for the delay but I was on a plane all day today.

Droid
08-24-2009, 09:24 PM
Is that droid in the film? Where?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-24-2009, 09:33 PM
He's in ANH. There's a similar-looking droid in the briefing room, but he looks to be black where this figure is olive green; he was released as R2-X2 in those Entertainment Earth droid sets in 2006. This one can be seen being lowered into an X-wing in the Yavin hangar. People were unsure as to whether they were the same droid, differentiated only by different lighting - well, either way, now there's a figure of both color schemes, both named R2-X2.

Blue2th
08-24-2009, 09:55 PM
I'm going to have to compare the AT-AT Driver with the 2006 one side by side to make a final judgement.
The old one had a great look to him except for those swivel elbows, he would have been perfect. Don't really need a removable helmet.

I like all of these, so I'll be buying them, with maybe 2 of the Driver.

Never thought I'd see the day we get a super-articulated Wilrow Hood. Things sure have come a long way. Well he can be easily posed like he's running in the evacuation of Bespin. He needs an ice cream cone in that other hand instead of a gun, or maybe a cantina cup with a straw in it to look like a milkshake. :)

Tycho
08-25-2009, 03:30 AM
The Snowtrooper - don't know if I'll buy or even try to justify buying this one. I was not a McQuarrie collector and only picked up the ones I could justify using as scene filler.

The AT-AT Driver - don't need, don't want.

Luke - looks cool. Want but don't need so I probably won't buy.

R2-X2 - don't care.

Willrow Hood - I'll buy ONE, probably. Perhaps multiples to use as a scene-filler guy. This looks to be the ONLY figure from this wave that I will be definitely buying.

Zuckuss - no thanks. Looks nice though.

The Bespin Wing Guard - Whoops. Now here is one I'll be buying probably 2 of or 4, and maybe 2 Utriss M'Tocs. So six in total? Not sure yet.

vger
08-25-2009, 05:33 AM
The Snowtrooper - great concept design, I'll pick up one or two.

The AT-AT Driver - cool, but not needed, pass.

Luke - looks pretty good, but I'll pass and wait for a retool without the cap.

R2-X2 - Definite pick-up, great paint scheme! And those disappointed with Whistler may find this a more accurate paint scheme for Whistler.

Willrow Hood - mega-pass. Hasbro should have updated Lando with balljoint elbows, Lobot, Hoth Leia, Bespin Escape Leia, Bespin Han, Piett, or Bespin Luke with a sober headsculpt before they got to this figure (probably shouldn't have ever gotten to this figure).

Zuckuss - happy with the POTF2 version, pass.

The Bespin Wing Guard - Pass, uninteresting to me.

Old Fossil
08-25-2009, 06:20 AM
AT-AT Driver: I was surprised to see a new sculpt of this pilot. I'll definitely pick one up to compare it to the Saga version, which is quite possibly my favorite action figure of the modern era. I may army-build this new one, if it holds up. I like the look of the head beneath the helmet.

Luke: Will buy at least 1.

Willrow Hood: I'm liking this guy more and more. Will buy at least 1.

R2: Me likey movie-accurate astromechs. Will buy at least 1.

Concept Art Snowie: I collect carded samples of the concept art figures, so I'll get 1 of this guy, and 1 of Ki-Adi Mundi, too.

Bespin Guards: Will buy at least 2.

Zuckuss: HECK YEAH! One of my favorite bounty hunters got a stellar upgrade. Will buy at least 1, maybe 2.

All in all, a great wave of figures. Now if we could only get a brand-new AT-AT for the Drivers...

Gothiczartan
08-25-2009, 07:25 AM
If this new Luke Skywalker Snowspeeder figure sells well.

Maybe they can release this same figure with a new head sculpt with out a cap and add a lightsaber and blaster.

Blue2th
08-25-2009, 08:15 AM
I found Willrow Hood!
He's actually a professor and was trying to make it out of Bespin with plans for his new TV show hidden in his ice cream maker. He's kinda chubby and eats a lot of it. So much so he makes it himself.

sebillba
08-25-2009, 08:54 AM
Are there any new phots of the Bespin Guard yet? Or do we know which one's coming first? I really hope it's Utriss, it always seems too long to wait between these running change figures.

DarkJedi5
08-25-2009, 09:17 AM
Concept Snowtrooper - I do not like this figure. In fact, I don't really like any of the concept figures this year. I mean, this snowtrooper looks so un Star Wars and we already got a concpet snowtrooper last year. Why not a concept scout trooper or something? And the rest of the concept figures for this year are pretty lame too. The Anakin was a disappointment and the IG-88 and Ki-Adi are no great shakes either. If I can make the droid without him I think I'll pass.

AT-AT Driver - Great looking figure (even though the Saga one was probably the best of the whole Saga assortment) and I'd be happy to have two (assuming we ever get an AT-AT that can accommodate two pilots and General Veers in the same command center [cause you can't say cockpit here])

Luke Skywalker, Snowspeeder Pilot - Another great looking figure and I'll be glad to have him. I'm not sure why his lightsaber isn't ignited (after all he does use it in the same sequence as the grappling gun) but I've got one I can lend him. I guess this also gives Hasbro an excuse to rerelease Zev again on a more articulated body. Now we just have to wait for the new Snowspeeder and hope still for the BMF AT-AT.

R2-X2 - I think I read somewhere that this is supposed to be a "refresh" figure and isn't considered a new one in this wave. Either way the paint looks great and I'd be very happy to pick this one up even though I have the EE sets.

Willrow Hood - Okay, you got me, I'll buy ONE. I bought ONE Yarna and that is all I want. The problem is, I doubt Hasbro will ever make all that many Bespin citizens and so a diorama is pretty much out of the question. I guess you could just sneak Willrow into the background of any other Bespin scene you might be doing....

Zuckuss - Zuckuss and Dengar are my favorite ESB hunters and it's about time I was able to retire the POTF2 version of this guy. He looks great and the soft goods give him the utmost in posability. Anybody notice though that he, R2-X2, and the Concept fig all have the right leg? I'm sure that's not how it will really be but I'm hoping that the double up is with R2 and the Snowtrooper....

Bespin Guard - Not pictured so hard to get excited about. I'd buy one of the Utris heads and two of the other guy. It would be nice if we got pics soon of this guy too.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-25-2009, 09:34 AM
Bespin Guard - Not pictured so hard to get excited about. I'd buy one of the Utris heads and two of the other guy. It would be nice if we got pics soon of this guy too.There were several pictures in the Comic Con gallery.

TheDarthVader
08-25-2009, 09:45 AM
concept snowtrooper- kinda cool. i think i will buy one.

AT-AT Driver - not bad but i already love the saga version. pass.

Luke Skywalker, Snowspeeder Pilot -not bad looking, but i will pass.

R2-X2 - Nice paint job! I love astromechs. He is a big YES.

Willrow Hood - i voted to make this guy a figure so i am buying one because of his obscurity in esb

Zuckuss - you guys should know how i feel about soft goods...i love em! I will be buying a new zuckuss as i traded mine away a long time ago

Bespin Guard - i have wanted a new one but i am gonna pass because i dont do dioramas

Mad Slanted Powers
08-25-2009, 10:06 AM
I'll get them all, and an extra AT-AT Driver. Maybe an extra concept Snowtrooper.

Qui-Long Gone
08-25-2009, 12:47 PM
These figures....mehhh. Not on my radar but that doesn't put me out. Maybe I'll buy Willrow for fun, but then again, will that encourage Hasbro to make Jocasta Nu?

pbarnard
08-25-2009, 12:49 PM
If anything, Zuckuss and the Bespin Guards. I hope I see this wave unlike other ESB waves this year.

Snowtrooper
08-25-2009, 01:30 PM
AT-AT Driver -Was very surprised to get a completely brand new one and it looks pretty good. Its probably got the ultra rubbery head gear, unfortunately. I'll get a few for sure, but I army built the TSC one and don't have a need for huge amounts.

Concept Snowtrooper -Like the looks of it, but the McQuarrie version is better. I'll probably get 1 for card and 1 to open.

Luke Snowspeeder -I'll get one for sure. They seem to have gotten his face sculpt right and it comes with some nice accessories.

Bespin Guard -I'll army build these a little bit unless I find something about them I don't like. Not too many though, maybe 5 of each type.

Wilrow Hood -I'll get an opener and a carded one since it was one of those oddball characters we've all been wanting for years.

R2-X2 -When the droid packs came out a few years back, I was surprised it was painted black, because I was certain that it was green. It'll be nice to have the green version and I'll get one for sure.

Zuckuss -It looks really neat except for the soft goods. I'll buy one, most likely.

RoonStones
08-25-2009, 01:45 PM
AT-AT Driver - Probably not. I'm rather happy with the last AT-AT Driver. Unless I have extra $$$ to burn, or Toys R Us does something akin to their fantastic "Build an Army" sale about 10 years back.....

Concept Snowtrooper -Looks like a cross between a Tokugawa shogun and something out of Cobra-La.

Luke Snowspeeder -Meh.

Bespin Guard -If it's the black Bespin Guard then yes. Gotta complete the vintage collection.

Wilrow Hood - getting without a doubt. Will actually make a concerted trip to the stores like I did for Capt. Needa.

R2-X2 - see AT-AT Driver explanation.

Zuckuss -They've always did Zuckuss right, and I thought the last one was near perfect. I'd probably pick him up, but to be honest I don't see the need for a resculpt on an already excellent figure.

pbarnard
08-25-2009, 02:02 PM
Zuckuss -They've always did Zuckuss right, and I thought the last one was near perfect. I'd probably pick him up, but to be honest I don't see the need for a resculpt on an already excellent figure.

WHAT?!?!?! So making Zuckuss scale to the other bounty hunters isn't important. Adding articulation so you can get closer to the pose in ESB isn't important? While Zuckuss is one of the finer PotF2 figures out there, it still is 10+ years out of date. Zuckuss should've been done long ago, it's an injustice it took this long.

Maerj2000
08-25-2009, 02:59 PM
Just saw the pics and they look really great. I really like the Zuckuss redo, he'll be a nice addition to the bounty hunter figures. I think after this they'll all have been redone at this point. Right?

I'll buy any droids, so a dark green R2 will be a nice addition to the collection. Willrow Hood is a funny idea, I'll get him cause its such an odd thing to make but also for the build a droid, which is one of the best marketing concepts ever. (Now just remake the 70's Droid Factory playset and sell bags of droid parts to go with it. Please Hasbro!)

I'm really liking that McQuarrie Snowtrooper, it'd be nice to get a few of those. I remember seeing him in the paintings for ESB... its funny but with SW, even the discarded concepts and designs are cool. So cool that they warrent their own figures, all of which I will gladly buy! :D

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-25-2009, 05:30 PM
Zuckuss - Zuckuss and Dengar are my favorite ESB hunters and it's about time I was able to retire the POTF2 version of this guy. He looks great and the soft goods give him the utmost in posability. Anybody notice though that he, R2-X2, and the Concept fig all have the right leg? I'm sure that's not how it will really be but I'm hoping that the double up is with R2 and the Snowtrooper....
That's what I thought at first, but Zuckuss is just shown with the top of the leg turned around . . . note the stamp on there.

RoonStones
08-25-2009, 06:23 PM
WHAT?!?!?! So making Zuckuss scale to the other bounty hunters isn't important. Adding articulation so you can get closer to the pose in ESB isn't important? While Zuckuss is one of the finer PotF2 figures out there, it still is 10+ years out of date. Zuckuss should've been done long ago, it's an injustice it took this long.

I didn't say i wouldn't get him; just that there have, in my opinion, been more needed resculpts. In all likelihood I'll pick him up. Can't have enough Gands.

Dice Ibegon
08-26-2009, 04:02 AM
AT-AT Driver - While I am a bit surprised that Hasbro has redone the AT-AT Driver already I may well get one as I am a bit of a sucker for any fig that was in the original Vintage line.

Concept Snowtrooper -No chance I will get this, just not interested.

Luke Snowspeeder -Probably won't get this

Bespin Guard -I'll get one of these.

Wilrow Hood -Meh, not interested in this guy at all. Def won't be getting him & suspect he is gonna be a Yarna for 2009/2010

R2-X2 -Might get this one as I do kinda like droids.

Zuckuss -Definitely getting this one, been waiting for an upgrade on him for a couple of years.

Devo
08-26-2009, 09:50 AM
Why wouldn't you buy Luke Snowspeeder, a great upgrade, when you'll buy the new AT-AT driver which has already been recognised by most people as a 'downgrade' upon the previous version?

Gothiczartan
08-26-2009, 09:56 AM
Why wouldn't you buy Luke Snowspeeder, a great upgrade, when you'll buy the new AT-AT driver which has already been recognised by most people as a 'downgrade' upon the previous version?

retooled luke snowspeeder that fans maybe want to get after this one sells well to retailers.

Blue2th
08-26-2009, 10:35 AM
I don't see how anybody can say the AT-AT Driver is a downgrade, when the old one had swivel elbows, and the new one doesn't. Maybe the paint apps aren't as good? The removable helmet? Leave it on.

If you'll notice, on almost every new figure they have discontinued this unpopular feature. You only see it on repacks and such.
I was deeply disappointed on figures that would have this, like General Veers, and quite a few in the recent past, especially a lot of the ROTS figures. It limits their poses and the way they can hold a weapon, you cant staighten the arm out on some. Not to mention the forearm easily pops off! :mad:

While I like the sculpt on the old one, that part of it sucks big time.
I say good riddance to swivel elbows. Yay Hasbro! :thumbsup: