PDA

View Full Version : Would You Buy A Gungan Bongo Sub Vehicle?

Tycho
08-25-2009, 03:39 AM
I'm going to start a new thread series.

This will discuss ONLY the vehicle in the title of the thread (in this case a Gungan Submarine from TPM).

I will cover several unmade vehicles for the action figures per week, choosing them from a rotating schedule through the movies and the Expanded Universe (I guess - we'll see how that goes).

I'll order it TPM, AOTC, ROTS, ANH, ESB, ROTJ, EU, and then keep going back through the order in that manner.

So here I'm only asking you if you'd buy a Gungan Bongo Submarine from The Phantom Menace.

I envision this vehicle for the $20 price range. You connect the squid tail and a rollbar makes it spin. The directional vein on the front launches like a harpoon missile to defend the craft (but looks movie-accurate in its holding position) and the 3 bubbles open up (inaccurately seating) for 3 passengers Obi-Wan, JarJar, and Qui-Gon.

Do you want it made? How about for a $30 price range and slightly more accurate and larger?

What other features would you want on it?

Why would you NOT want it?

How do you think it would sell if produced?

plasticfetish
08-25-2009, 04:58 AM
I have mixed feelings about this one. I've always thought this vehicle was a good idea, but at this point I'm not so sure. I think Hasbro blew it by not doing this and a Gungan playset when the movie came out. (Oh well.)

I'll answer the questions in reverse order.

How do I think it would sell? Not well to be honest. Unless Hasbro could tie it to the Clone Wars cartoon, or if they waited to release it as part of a tenth anniversary set, I don't see this as having mass appeal.

Why would I not want it? I don't have very much space for vehicles, but the biggest turn-off would be if it was too expensive.

What features would I want on it? The simpler the better with this one I think. One of my favorite PT vehicles is the Geonosian Fighter... something along those lines would be nice. I wouldn't want any weapons or missiles, but I doubt that Hasbro could make a toy without putting a gun on it.

I like the spinning tail idea, and I know that I said "simpler" was better, but it would be genuinely cool if the thing could light up from the inside.

Do I want it made? How about for a $30 price range, and slightly more accurate and larger? Again, price would be the deciding factor. If it was $30+ it would need to be very cool, and very well done, but I'm not all that concerned with "larger" or having it be spot-on movie accurate. It just needs to be well made and fun.

As far as Episode I vehicles go, this would probably be the one that I want most. I have the Royal Starship packed away somewhere, so the Tribubble bongo would be a nice partner to that on a shelf... someday.

vger
08-25-2009, 05:25 AM
I'd love to see a Bongo! I'd prefer it to be a little larger and more accurate so Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon and Jar Jar would all fit in the same compartment. I'd be willing to pay up to $40 for it, though a $30 price point would be great. If it were in the $20 range and each figure fit in its own bubble, I'd probably still buy it but I might wait for clearance.

I would want an opening canopy hatch and a spinning tail (non-electronic). I guess some firing missiles would be needed to make it more actiony. I do not want any electronics, they just jack up the cost.

I don't think it would sell particularly well unless it were featured in TCW and/or it were an exclusive (Target or TRU, not Walmart since not all Walmarts seem to get the exclusives).

Darth Jax
08-25-2009, 07:41 AM
i wouldn't buy one. the whole gungan merge of animal life/technology just seemed beyond bizarre to me on the screen. not much from episode 1 holds my interest in the toy department (aside from my desire for titanium styled battle droids).

if it does get made it needs to be made for actual aquatic play, meaning the hull should be sealed well enough to allow floatation in a bathtub.

Blue2th
08-25-2009, 08:09 AM
Indeed I would buy one!
It must fit all 3 figures Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, and Jar Jar easily.
Spinning rear propeller and opening hatch is all I really want (no firing missles pleeze)
I do agree with DJ it should be able to float (rubba-dub in the tub) :)

bigbarada
08-25-2009, 08:17 AM
No, I would not buy one. I just have little to no interest in Prequel vehicles or characters (aside from Wookiees).

I think it might sell alright, if Hasbro waits a few years to release it. All of those kids who were just old enough to watch Ep1 in theaters (4 or 5 years old) will be graduating high school in a few years, so that might be a good time for a resurgence of Ep1 merchandise.

However, personally, I'm just not interested.

mtriv73
08-25-2009, 08:35 AM
Too late. I wouldn't buy it. I would have eagerly scooped it up when TPM came out but it would have to be in $65 class to be even close to screen accurate and I don't have room or need for anything like that.

Devo
08-25-2009, 08:55 AM
I like the TPM toys, they hold a great nostalgia. Not sure I'd have a need for a Bongo though. An underwater, non-battle vehicle just isn't very diorama friendly.

DarkJedi5
08-25-2009, 08:57 AM
Do I want it made? Yes. I bought that Opee Sea Killer and there's absolutely nothing to display it with (I guess I have "swimming" Jar Jar but that's not much of a diorama). A Bongo and Opee display would be very cool indeed.

How do I think it would sell? At the $20 price point? I think it would do okay. I don't think that it would be what I was looking for, I just can't imagine it fitting well in the starfighter assortment and having room for all three figures. But I think some kids and a few collectors wouldn't be interested in it if it didn't look all that great.

Why would I not want it? For me to buy the Bongo it would have to look great. I'm okay with figures in separate pods but they shouldn't be cramped. If it turned out that they made the thing with three pods and they were right on top of each other it would probably throw off the aesthetics for me.

What features would I want on it? Um, spinning tail would be neat and probably necessary that it turn somehow but that would be it. That's maybe the biggest problem with the Bongo, it doesn't do anything. You could pack other features into it. Tycho's front firing anchor missile was a good one. Also you could have hidden torpedo tubes somewhere in the front, maybe disguised as headlights for more missile firing action. Also, I don't recall the cut scene well enough but I think you could even figure out a way to squeeze some sort of tow cable feature in there if you need to add more action features or play value.

How about for a $30 price range, and slightly more accurate and larger? I think this would almost have to be in the $30 range. (Does that even exist anymore?) If you want the three seats in the main pod I think the price goes up a good deal more. I think there's hope for this vehicle in the new deluxe vehicle assortment (with the CW Y-Wing) and at that price point it could have the right size and play features we would all love. The only problem there would be the price tag.

Droid
08-25-2009, 09:44 AM
I would not buy it anymore. I would have at one time. They waited too long.

However, I would never have bought it if it didn't have an accurate cockpit for seating all three passengers.

pbarnard
08-25-2009, 10:00 AM
Nope. And if I did, it would've been sold off a few years ago.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-25-2009, 10:38 AM
Perhaps it would sell if they used this song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd1b7d7vj04) in the advertisement.

TheDarthVader
08-25-2009, 10:59 AM
I would not buy it. I don't have a wide interest in prequel vehicles. Besides, I do not think Hasbro could nail the paint job. It would have to have a water tight canopy and be able to float, and then I just might consider it for my 5 year old nephew. But as for a collector, no. Why? It just isn't exciting enough for me. I mean it is an underwater boat. YAWN. Star Wars toys should go beyond underwater boats, and, of course, there are other great $20 vehicles that still need to be made instead of this boring thing.

El Chuxter
08-25-2009, 12:44 PM
Ten years ago? Yes. In a heartbeat.

Now? Probably not. Especially since the $20 vehicle you propose would look as undersized as the Dwarf Sith Infiltrator I had no desire to get.

Then again, if it came with a Jar Jar update and the nonexistent "decent" variants of Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan, absolutely.

Ando
08-25-2009, 02:58 PM
I, like a few previous posters, agree: 10 years ago this would have been a slam dunk. Now it's too little, too late.

I think it would have to be a $30/mid range vehicle. It would need to either be lights+sounds OR watertight with a motor for water/pool/bathtub play

I wish they had have made the Bongo back in 1999, because I wouldn't have hesitated to get it.

Snowtrooper
08-25-2009, 03:20 PM
Do you want it made? -I would lean towards yes, although not by much. Its not near as iconic as alot of other SW vehicles.

What features would you want on it? -Rotating propeller of course. Opening cockpit that seats three. Realistic paint job with the weathering. Firing missles for the kids.

Why would you NOT want it? -It isn't the most exciting vehicle SW universe and Hasbro would make it rather cheaply if they did.

How do you think it would sell if produced? -Depends on the price, quality, and timing. As said before, if this was made in 99, it would have been a much easier sell. Today, it would be much more difficult. As a larger $30+ vehicle, it would definitely tank. In the regular vehicle range, its possible if they don't make it too undersized and give it the features listed above. It might sell a little better if there was an event to coincide with it; 10th TPM anniversary, appearance in CW cartoon, .....etc.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-25-2009, 05:17 PM
I'd get any version if Hasbro made it (I have the super-crappy 2000 Obi-Wan little scout sub thing - hopefully a real one would be better). I doubt they would do it justice, though. I remember the Lego version having three different bubbles, one for each of the characters, and I thought that was weird. I think it could do moderately well, perhaps as an exclusive.

plasticfetish
08-25-2009, 07:24 PM
or if they waited to release it as part of a tenth anniversary setAnd I suppose it's too late for that isn't it? Hmmm... errr... yeah. (What year is it anyway?) Or they can wait for the 20th anniversary. By then the movie will be considered a "classic" example of early CG enhanced cinema. ;)

Mister Roboto
08-25-2009, 09:13 PM
Absolutely. I would buy it, and I would make love to it nightly.

RoonStones
08-25-2009, 09:16 PM
Nope. And if I did, it would've been sold off a few years ago.

I can second that.

Dice Ibegon
08-26-2009, 03:22 AM
I wouldn't buy it, I have no room for any more vehicles and I am not interested in anything other than figures from TPM, AOTC & ROTS.

Old Fossil
08-26-2009, 07:58 AM
Nope. Wouldn't touch it with a ten-meter cattle prod.

Bar
08-26-2009, 11:56 AM
I suppose the primary problem with the bongo is that it was actually massive.
In scale with the figures(Which rarely happens), it would have to be about the same size as the AT-TE...
Anything else would just be a SD Bongo, which probably would upset just as many fans as it made happy...
:yes:

Tycho
08-27-2009, 04:36 PM
I just wanted to add that I really need a Gungan Bongo Submarine vehicle.

My idea for an early-in-the-film TPM diorama of Theed has the river running through the capital city with the Bongo floating in some "fake water" (model railroading material) and the weird fish from the Ep 1 Battlepacks suspended in it, with Qui-Gon and crew in the bongo, and then also collaged on the boardwalk freeing the Queen and Panaka from Security Battle Droids, and then featured once more on the top shelf of the display case in the Royal Starship with all the astromechs trying to save the ship as it runs the Trade Federation blockade.

But I don't really see myself using this as a bath toy :D

Dark Marble
08-27-2009, 04:41 PM
Yes I would buy this one. I liked the scene in the movie and thought it was funny!

pbarnard
08-27-2009, 04:45 PM
I just wanted to add that I really need a Gungan Bongo Submarine vehicle.

My idea for an early-in-the-film TPM diorama of Theed has the river running through the capital city with the Bongo floating in some "fake water" (model railroading material) and the weird fish from the Ep 1 Battlepacks suspended in it, with Qui-Gon and crew in the bongo, and then also collaged on the boardwalk freeing the Queen and Panaka from Security Battle Droids, and then featured once more on the top shelf of the display case in the Royal Starship with all the astromechs trying to save the ship as it runs the Trade Federation blockade.

But I don't really see myself using this as a bath toy :D

Also known as the deleted scene?

Tycho
08-27-2009, 05:04 PM
Also known as the deleted scene?

No. I'll keep it just like the movie and have the Jedi and JarJar just about to debark the sub unless there are any really cool grappling hook accessories or something - perhaps stuff that the Clone Troopers now come with? To be honest, I haven't looked.

The real appeals for me in doing this scene:

1) I get to use a Bongo if Hasbro makes one for the figures.

2) I get to test my skill at modeling Theed's waterfront and "recreating Venice" as well as using those funky alien fish somewhere.

3) I get to display all the handmaidens, Sio Bibble, and use Security Battle Droids - which in my opinion are some of the coolest looking Battle Droids and a better sculpt for them (2000 POTJ).

4) I get to use the Royal Starship and add a lot of those BAD's we're making now as well as some from the Entertainment Earth multi-packs. I don't remember which ones, but some of them. It was a cool way to introduce how astromech droids were supposed to be used in the Star Wars universe as well as first bring R2D2 into the story.

5) It's a colorful, pretty blue-green scene with happier colors as opposed to the ever-present, endless browns and tans of Tatooine / Geonosis / Utopau types of displays I'll be building a lot of for sure. So it's something different that will change up what I'm working on for a little while.

Droide
08-27-2009, 06:18 PM
yes I would buy a Bongo,it`s a cool vehicle

Mvader91
08-27-2009, 06:30 PM
:thumbsup::love:Bring on the Bongos!!!!!!

El Chuxter
08-28-2009, 12:46 PM
Absolutely. I would buy it, and I would make love to it nightly.

Nah, man, that Bongo is one cold fish. :beard:

dindae
09-02-2009, 12:12 PM
I would definately like a Bongo, but I think it will get the same treatment as the Infiltrator. Oddly enough it has more action in the movie than the Infiltrator so I don't see any reason why it shouldn't get made in some form. That being said I think the same reactions will be had. In order to make it I don't think it will have a 3 figure cockpit or it would be huge and I don't know that hasbro would do that unless the $65-$70 price point for ships takes off.

DarkArtist
09-03-2009, 01:44 PM
I'd be done with getting a Bongo if it fit all 3 of the figures (Jinn, Kenobi and Binks) and had battle damage panels and was in scale and looked cool.

Tycho
09-13-2009, 11:59 PM
The results thus far for the Bongo are:

13 yes votes

12 no votes

This is close to the average showing for a Prequel Trilogy vehicle thus far.

Mad Slanted Powers
09-14-2009, 12:18 AM
The results thus far for the Bongo are:

13 yes votes

12 no votes

This is close to the average showing for a Prequel Trilogy vehicle thus far.
Did my link to the Steve Miller video count as a yes or a no? B-B-B-Bongo Bongo!

Darth Metalmute
09-14-2009, 06:42 AM
I wouldn't even consider it if it didn't have room for three figures. The ship would have to at least be 4 times the size of the cockpit without the tail so I would think the 20 to 30 dollar range would be out. I still would probably pass if unless it went on clearance like the homestead and AT-TE did.

Tycho
01-27-2010, 10:34 PM
We basically left off with interest for and against this vehicle being at a tie.

I'm "bumping the thread" one last time to see if anything's changed since last year.

I would definitely buy a Bongo Sub myself, but I already counted my own vote in favor.