PDA

View Full Version : Screw the flu...

JEDIpartner
08-25-2009, 12:10 PM
I'm bringing back SARS!!!! :thumbsup:

I've had this awful cold for about 2 weeks already!!! Now I have these horrid coughing fits. Most of it has been dry coughs for the last couple days. I'm finally "producing". Ick.

Let's yap about our lingering illnesses!!!! :love:

pbarnard
08-25-2009, 12:19 PM
Lingering illnesses? What about permament conditions? Osteoarthritis and cartledge degeneration of the knees?

JEDIpartner
08-25-2009, 12:24 PM
Lingering illnesses? What about permament conditions? Osteoarthritis and cartledge degeneration of the knees?

Fair play... CARRY ON!!!! :thumbsup:

sith_killer_99
08-25-2009, 01:11 PM
Well if permanent conditions are fair play, I have aids.

Not the HIV type, I wear hearing aids.:yes:

pbarnard
08-25-2009, 01:19 PM
I was about to say, are you like Jared at Subway?

El Chuxter
08-25-2009, 01:35 PM
Screw the flu?

I tried. It was too little.

Qui-Long Gone
08-25-2009, 01:43 PM
well if permanent conditions are fair play, i have aids.

Not the hiv type, i wear hearing aids.:yes:

i'll write in bold so you can hear this....that was really funny sk!

Blue2th
08-25-2009, 03:41 PM
Don't want to be a funsucker, but estimates are that 90,000 could bite it when the H1N1 comes. :shocked:

Why am I reminded of Steven King's the Last Stand?

pbarnard
08-25-2009, 03:43 PM
Buy stock now in whoever makes GermX?

Blue2th
08-25-2009, 03:45 PM
Is the time nigh to thin the herd?

I have Industrial Disease:

Doctor parkinson declared Im not surprised to see you here
Youve got smokers cough from smoking, brewers droop from drinking beer
I dont know how you came to get the betty davis knees
But worst of all young man youve got industrial disease
He wrote me a prescription he said you are depressed
But Im glad you came to see me to get this off your chest
Come back and see me later - next patient please
Send in another victim of industrial disease

mtriv73
08-25-2009, 04:07 PM
Well if permanent conditions are fair play, I have aids.

Not the HIV type, I wear hearing aids.:yes:

I've got the HIV kind. A freezer full of it in fact. I try not to bring my work home with me though.

Don't want to be a funsucker, but estimates are that 90,000 could bite it when the H1N1 comes. :shocked:

I remember the same thing being said about SARS. Get your flu shot, wash your hands, eat well, exercise and you'll be fine.

Get well soon JP.

JEDIpartner
08-26-2009, 09:36 AM
Get well soon JP.

Thank you. I'm trying... believe me!!!

I'm one for not running to the chemist / pharmacist for a way out. I figure the fewer antibiotics i take, the better off I'll be long haul.

Qui-Long Gone
08-26-2009, 01:14 PM
Why am I reminded of Steven King's the Stand?

If that happens, will you move to Colorado with Abby or head to Vegas? I won't survive the plague, so I'll just die in my car fleeing to nowhere...:tired:

pbarnard
08-26-2009, 01:35 PM
I'm one for not running to the chemist / pharmacist for a way out. I figure the fewer antibiotics i take, the better off I'll be long haul.

Well yes, because antibiotics are only effective against bacteria. Since the flu is a VIRUS, they'd be totally ineffective. :thumbsup:

Blue2th
08-26-2009, 03:37 PM
If that happens, will you move to Colorado with Abby or head to Vegas? I won't survive the plague, so I'll just die in my car fleeing to nowhere...:tired:

I don't know, that's a tough one. Never been to Vegas. Might be tempting if I get to go to the Star Trek Experience, but I'd probably play it safe and go to Colorado.
Guess it depends on who calls me. Probably no one, and end up like most. :dead:

Haven't seen that series for a while. They'll probably put it on TV because that sort of thing might be on people's minds in the coming season.

dr_evazan22
08-26-2009, 08:15 PM
To protect yourself just yell: "Shew! Shew! Retarded Flu!"

... At least it seems to work when the flu is coming to get you through the phone.:cross-eye

JimJamBonds
08-26-2009, 10:26 PM
I'm bringing back SARS!!!! :thumbsup:

Yeah what ever happened to SARS btw????

bigbarada
08-26-2009, 11:27 PM
I've heard that if you just stop watching the news, you develop an instant immunity to the H1N1 virus. It just sounds like so much manufactured hysteria to me.

As for lingering illnesses, I can't say that I have any. I rarely get any illness that lasts more than 2 or 3 days (I'm over most within 24 hours). However, my back has been bugging me a lot the last couple of days, but bailing hay will tend to do that to you when you're used to just sitting in front of the computer.

Qui-Long Gone
08-27-2009, 01:55 AM
Hence I retired from bailing after I did it once in college!

LusiferSam
08-27-2009, 06:01 PM
However, my back has been bugging me a lot the last couple of days, but bailing hay will tend to do that to you when you're used to just sitting in front of the computer.

You mean bucking hay? I've never anyone bail hay by hand. But I seen tons of people buck hay.

All joking aside, I hurt my back with week as well. I have no idea I what happened. I was just walking to my car when I felt something pop and sharp pain in my back. It's right about at the bottom of my shoulder blades. Today isn't too bad as it doesn't hurt to breath.

bigbarada
08-27-2009, 09:07 PM
You mean bucking hay? I've never anyone bail hay by hand. But I seen tons of people buck hay.

All joking aside, I hurt my back with week as well. I have no idea I what happened. I was just walking to my car when I felt something pop and sharp pain in my back. It's right about at the bottom of my shoulder blades. Today isn't too bad as it doesn't hurt to breath.

The friend I was working for referred to it as bailing hay. I'm not sure what bucking hay is, I'll have to ask. Most of the work was done with tractors, of course, but there is still some lifting and tossing of bails involved (because inevitably a few bails will always fall off the wagon), which can be pretty physically taxing if you are not accustomed to it.

LusiferSam
08-27-2009, 11:05 PM
Bailing is the act of putting cut hay into bails. Bucking is the act of lifting and stacking the bails on to a truck (or stacking them in general). What you were doing was bucking. I helped a friend of my dad's buck one afternoon in high school. He told after a few hours thanks, but you're not need anymore. Ouch. Hopefully you where doing hay and not alfalfa. Alfalfa is terrible heavy (and messy). Straw is lighter than hay, but can still weight a fair amount.

bigbarada
08-27-2009, 11:17 PM
Bailing is the act of putting cut hay into bails. Bucking is the act of lifting and stacking the bails on to a truck (or stacking them in general). What you were doing was bucking. I helped a friend of my dad's buck one afternoon in high school. He told after a few hours thanks, but you're not need anymore. Ouch. Hopefully you where doing hay and not alfalfa. Alfalfa is terrible heavy (and messy). Straw is lighter than hay, but can still weight a fair amount.

Okay, then I was driving a tractor and pulling the machine that does the bailing behind me. Then we'd buck the hay into neat stacks on the truck. I did a count of the big trailer that we filled up and there was around 400 bails of hay on it. :eek: That's not counting the two wagons that we filled up and emptied into the shed at least twice.

I think this was hay with some alfalfa mixed in. Some bails were noticeably heavier than others; but it was also just the first cut of the year. I think they plan to get 1 or 2 more cuts out of it. From what they were telling me, it's the 2nd and 3rd cuts that the horses like since it's much softer and less stemmy.

This is my first year messing with hay and it's actually pretty interesting stuff, but then I've always been interested in farming. :hick:

Qui-Long Gone
08-27-2009, 11:21 PM

I've worked with hay in three different states and never heard it called bucking...hummm?

El Chuxter
08-28-2009, 01:19 PM
If we're going to be that anal about what it's called, it's spelled "bale," not "bail." Normally, I don't care about minor misspellings, but the arguing over the correct terminology has made me care in this case. :p

TeeEye7
08-28-2009, 01:22 PM
I never knew hay (or alfalfa) could be arrested on misdemeanor charges.... :Ponder:

pbarnard
08-28-2009, 01:39 PM
Well, what is bail for such a minor infraction?

TeeEye7
08-28-2009, 01:41 PM
It's a "buck" for hay!

Qui-Long Gone
08-29-2009, 12:25 AM
If we're going to be that anal about what it's called, it's spelled "bale," not "bail." Normally, I don't care about minor misspellings, but the arguing over the correct terminology has made me care in this case. :p

Buck you....:D

Hey El, where did your avatar go?

El Chuxter
08-29-2009, 12:26 AM
I dropped it. It's somewhere on the sidewalk outside until I find a new one.

Qui-Long Gone
08-29-2009, 12:29 AM
I liked the last one...:cry:

El Chuxter
08-29-2009, 12:35 AM
Not often that I get a request. Not since the days of The Avatar Of The Year!

(Anyone remember what that was? I don't have the file anymore, but could easily reconstruct it.)

Qui-Long Gone
09-01-2009, 03:02 PM
Cougar rocks! Once boated past his home on Lake Monroe in Bloomington, IN.

BTW, Cougar would screw the flu!

pbarnard
09-01-2009, 03:20 PM
On a flu note, we're one of the sites for national clinical trials for an H1N1 vaccine, and they're turning people and specifically children away because of the publicity.