PDA

View Full Version : Would You Buy Count Dooku's Solar Sailor Vehicle?

Tycho
08-26-2009, 10:58 PM
I'm going to start a new thread series.

This will discuss ONLY the vehicle in the title of the thread (in this case Dooku's Solar Sailor from AOTC and The Clone Wars).

I will cover several unmade vehicles for the action figures per week, choosing them from a rotating schedule through the movies and the Expanded Universe (I guess - we'll see how that goes).

I'll order it TPM, AOTC, ROTS, ANH, ESB, ROTJ, EU, and then keep going back through the order in that manner.

So here I'm only asking you if you'd buy Count Dooku's Solar Sailor vehicle from Attack of the Clones.

I envision this vehicle for the $30 price range most likely. I think it will start out as a larger version of a ship simiarly shaped like the Geonosian Fighter vehicle, but have spring open struts in the front from which will hang a cloth "solar sail." This feature might have to come assembled but stored inside the vehicle, as it is packaged.

Hidden missile launchers might be required to make this Sith Lord's ship more fun for the kids.

Dooku's Pilot Droid might also be in the box as a pack-in as it's probably a cheap, limited articulation, prop figure, and General Grievous could be packed-in with the Hailfire for the $20 range, so I don't see a problem here, as the Solar Sailor would be pretty basic overall. It's "weakness" to Hasbro would be its requiring new tooling, but maybe no extensive parts.

The back hatch might open like in the movie to reveal a storage or "prisoner area," but to put Dooku and the droid in the cockpit, you'd have to just swing the cockpit bubble up in the front.

Do you want it made? How about for a $20 price range and slightly less accurate and smaller?

What other features would you want on it?

Why would you NOT want it?

How do you think it would sell if produced?

Does the ship being a Clone Wars tie-in do any good for sales here?

bigbarada
08-26-2009, 11:03 PM
No, I would not buy it; but that's going to be my answer for every prequel vehicle.

Even if I was still buying Prequel vehicles, I would probably still pass on this one, since I was never a big fan of it's design.

I don't know how they would go about doing the sails, since having them actually be retractable would be pretty expensive to engineer. Most likely it would just have removable "fully deployed" sails.

Obsession is Nute
08-26-2009, 11:17 PM
Yes. I am very selective about vehicles these days, but I will usually buy the Seperatist stuff.

Blue2th
08-26-2009, 11:21 PM
I would buy it. It wouldn't be my top pick, but it is in the Clone Wars so who knows they might make it. I agree though, anything beyond the $20 price range would be risky business.
Just wondering too how they would do those sails?

RoonStones
08-26-2009, 11:34 PM
Like bigbarada, I'm not a fan of the prequel stuff. So I definitely wouldn't buy this.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-27-2009, 12:38 AM
Yeah, I'd get it, but I'd get anything. Being a movie vehicle means it's pretty important to me. I wouldn't hate them if they scaled it waaaay down. I'm thinking they'd make it around the same size as the Geonosian Fighter, which it's not; note how Dooku and FA-4 have plenty of room in there (http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/1/17/Dooku%27s_solar_sailer.jpg) (that's obviously the cartoon, but I'm assuming they used the same scale - looks like they reused FA-4 from AOTC). Since the ship is so huge, I really doubt the wings would be to scale, since they're crazy huge - I could see maybe two feet for the wider side, but who knows. Since the Sith Infiltrator was such a huge amount of shrinking, I don't doubt they'd do the same for Dooku. I'd almost expect it to be in the normal starfighter assortment.

General Grievous could be packed-in with the Hailfire for the $20 range
The only time Grievous has been packed with the Hailfire Droid is in the $40 TRU set.

Phantom-like Menace
08-27-2009, 01:21 AM
I don't imagine I would get it. Count Dooku, for me, is just someone to fight Yoda, Obi-Wan, and Anakin, so I really don't have any reason to have a vehicle for him. Displaying him being chauffeured across the galaxy just isn't on my list of things to do with the figure.

Qui-Long Gone
08-27-2009, 02:06 AM
No, I won't buy old man Dook's sailor. Pass.

GeonosisJedi
08-27-2009, 02:57 AM
I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Count Dooku is my favorite character from the entire saga, and I'd love to see his ship get made.

It would be great to see it come with his pilot droid. It would make an awesome vehicle, and definately would be a great addition to my CIS fleet.

Hasbro should indeed make the Solar Sailor.

JOCASTA NU
FANS CHOICE FIGURE

Droid
08-27-2009, 07:27 AM
No way. I always thought that ship was really goofy. It was like the sails were jelly or something until they fully formed.

Tycho
08-27-2009, 08:26 AM
No way. I always thought that ship was really goofy. It was like the sails were jelly or something until they fully formed.

They could have been - a rarely known or used technology.

The theory behind the solar sailor was as such:

The stardrive of a normal ship emitted waste (fuems?) that could be tracked if a standard Geonosian ship took off from the scene of the battle. By deploying the solar sails once the ship got momentum in space, it could continue on energy gathered by particle collectors and float with the currents in such particles that the ship itself created. Thus the Sith Lord's ship was virtually untraceable.

Dooku himself was the most dangerous Sith Lord we've seen in Star Wars besides Palpatine.

Darth Maul had no other identity and he was tattooed up because he was young and knew no better, thus he could never hold onto the people of the galaxy's hopes and confidences like someone who could work his dark schemes out of the light.

Darth Vader became one as such himself. If Anakin had not been wounded on Mustafar, I'm sure it would have been Palpatine's plan to have Anakin replace him one day - as "Anakin - the last loyal servant of the Republic" in his public life, and Darth Vader, only behind the scenes when Anakin's Sith identity could be concealed. But Anakin would make a fine poster-boy otherwise.

Sith are supposed to hate each other and cull out weakness by way of apprentices eventually slaying their masters. "Sidious" could not be publically replaced by Maul or Vader.

However, "Tyranus," or Dooku, could easily do it, and while the Separatists ultimately took orders from Sidious, Tyranus could have been doing his best to wage the war in order to win it. If the Separatists won, a Sith Lord would still rule the galaxy, only his public face wouldn't be Palpatine's. But Dooku had half the galaxy following him.

Darth Jax
08-27-2009, 08:42 AM
i would not buy this. the ship itself is boring and only featured briefly in AOTC. there's no way that the sail could be rigged to expand and collapse without altering the look of the ship.

i don't mind scale issues with most ships, as long as the figures will fit within the pilot area; cuz we'll never really get any ship larger than a snubfighter close to scale. ships like a x-wing or snowspeeder where we see characters interacting with the ship and the environment are much easier to get an idea of how large they are. the sith infiltrator and dooku's sailor are on-screen for much less time and with less character interaction. everyone complained how small the sith infiltrator was; but myself, i didn't know any better since we only see it briefly in TPM.

i don't see how hasbro could include a working sail and still work in firing guns/missiles for kidplay.

Droid
08-27-2009, 08:50 AM
They could have been - a rarely known or used technology.

Yes, but like Zam being a shapeshifter, it just didn't feel like it fit into the Star Wars universe to me.

mtriv73
08-27-2009, 09:34 AM
Do you want it made? Titanium scale would have sufficed

What other features would you want on it? Fold-up-able sail

Why would you NOT want it? Boring

How do you think it would sell if produced? Very poorly

Does the ship being a Clone Wars tie-in do any good for sales here? Kids will buy boring toys if they see enough of it. Aftert all how many of us had rebel transports and Twin-pod cloud cars as kids. Nonetheless, I still don't see it being a big seller in the 3-3/4" scale and I wouldn't buy it.

TheDarthVader
08-27-2009, 09:48 AM
Would I buy it? Yes, actually I would.
Could Hasbro make one that is good? No.
So would I buy it? No.
Do I have interest in this vehicle? Yes, I do. It was actually one of my favorite prequel ships. I like the idea of a ship that could "sail".

pbarnard
08-27-2009, 10:30 AM
I would but it if at the lowest price point for vehicles. Making it an exclusive, or even to scale, would make me totally pass. The reason I'd buy it is because I do think with all sails extended it would look interesting hanging from the ceiling.

Dark Marble
08-27-2009, 12:04 PM
Yes I would buy this one. I like getting vehicles for the sith and I actually find it to be an interesting ship.

Snowtrooper
08-27-2009, 12:05 PM
I'd say no because its featured only briefly in AOTC and I don't find the design really that interesting.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-27-2009, 02:18 PM
I don't think I'd be very keen, I've already got one (http://www.rebelscum.com/sagaafsolarsailor.asp), you see?

vger
08-27-2009, 02:48 PM
No, I wouldn't be interested in this vehicle. I would like the droid pilot released though.

Bar
08-27-2009, 06:23 PM
I'd buy it if it were proportionally correct(Even if it was nowhere near 1/18).
I like it because it was ALSO used as Asaj Ventress' ship in the CW show.
:pleased:

Tycho
08-27-2009, 06:39 PM
Did Ventress use it? I remember her having her own ship in Gennedy's cartoon shorts. I plan on eventually addressing that in the EU category.

I would buy Dooku's ship myself *probably.*

1) Because it would be great if all my Sith Lord's had ships. I guess this includes Sidious' chauffered Republic Shuttlecraft from E3, but I don't have too much desire for that one. We have his ROTJ shuttle which was also used as the Tyderium and the one Luke borrowed from his father.

2) If the design was cool and a cloth sail deployed somehow, it'd be really unique and I'd likely hang it from the ceiling.

3) A detraction is that I think it would be too large to add to a display of the hanger duel from the end of AOTC. You only need 3-4 figures (if Yoda is brought into it at the point you're displaying). Fitting even a cheap $20 version of an undersized ship in that scene is unnecessary by my line of thinking.

4) While I'd buy it, I'm not going to campaign for this ship. I don't think it's necessary for what I want to have in my collection. But like I said, I would very likely buy it if it were made really cool. I think a pop-open cloth sail is the key there, or else this ship will hardly have the uniqueness it needs to truly represent what it's supposed to be.

Bar
08-27-2009, 06:43 PM
Did Ventress use it? I remember her having her own ship in Gennedy's cartoon shorts.

I meant the CG show that's running right now.
She used the vessel in the episode with Yoda and King Katunko of the Toydarians.
She arrived in it, and left in it after causing the rockfall(Doing some sweet rolls on her way).
It was a SMALL re-appearance, but she DID use it.

Devo
08-27-2009, 08:16 PM
I don't think I'd be very keen, I've already got one (http://www.rebelscum.com/sagaafsolarsailor.asp), you see?

:D..."he said hes already got one! Are you sure you've got one?"

Oh and yes I'd buy this ship. Anything for the Geonosis scenes.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-27-2009, 08:26 PM
:D..."he said hes already got one! Are you sure you've got one?"Yes, it's very nice.

Old Fossil
08-27-2009, 09:21 PM
I'd buy it. I've always had a fondness for that ship design. Very elegant.

El Chuxter
08-28-2009, 01:47 PM
Another "if you'd asked me seven years ago" vehicle. Still, it looks pretty cool, so this one would be a solid maybe. I don't think it would sell well, though.

Droide
08-28-2009, 03:58 PM
No,I would`nt

clone157
08-28-2009, 08:13 PM
Do you want it made? Titanium scale would have sufficed

What other features would you want on it? Fold-up-able sail

Why would you NOT want it? Boring

How do you think it would sell if produced? Very poorly

Does the ship being a Clone Wars tie-in do any good for sales here? Kids will buy boring toys if they see enough of it. Aftert all how many of us had rebel transports and Twin-pod cloud cars as kids. Nonetheless, I still don't see it being a big seller in the 3-3/4" scale and I wouldn't buy it.
Gotta agree there, except for the rebel transport. I love it as both a carrying case/storage area and it's to scale (+/-) to my action fleet stuff.

plasticfetish
08-31-2009, 05:23 AM
As much as I like the Solar Sailor concept, I really don't think the ship would have all that much play value. I don't think Hasbro could pull this one off anyway, so I'm willing to skip this one.

DarkJedi5
08-31-2009, 09:16 AM
Do you want it made? How about for a $20 price range and slightly less accurate and smaller?
This is another good ship that has something different to offer and when parked could be in some interesting dioramas (the hanger duel and Dooku bowing to Sidious). I'm fine with it in the starfighter assortment even though it probably should be a little bigger.

What other features would you want on it?
Um, like Tycho said the fold out sail would be key. I don't think it would be too too hard to do. I imagine something cloth with rods sewn into it. I have a tent that's essentially the same thing and you can snap the rods in place and then pop them out to fold it back up and tuck it in. A ramp out the back is a must have though too.

Why would you NOT want it?
If the scale was really off, if the solar sail just didn't look right, or if it was priced at some ridiculous price point, those would all be my reasons for passing.

How do you think it would sell if produced?
Um. Well, I think there's the possibility it could get some great screen time in the CW show and as such could be a great seller for kids and collectors. If it came out right now, it would struggle.

Does the ship being a Clone Wars tie-in do any good for sales here?
Yes, see above.

Bar
08-31-2009, 10:58 AM
I have an idea for the sail.
It could totally work, and have a trigger mechanism to open it.
No cloth, just a plastic sail with pop open panels.
And if the PROPORTIONS of the craft were accurate, i'd buy it.

Ando
08-31-2009, 05:09 PM
If you make the sail pop open like a cheap $5 umbrella, then it would totally work and it would sell and I would probably buy one just for that...

As long as the sail works, then it almost wouldn't matter what size/scale it was because (IMO) the sail is the sale. Yeah, I meant to do that...

Bar
08-31-2009, 05:16 PM
If you make the sail pop open like a cheap $5 umbrella, then it would totally work and it would sell and I would probably buy one just for that...

As long as the sail works, then it almost wouldn't matter what size/scale it was because (IMO) the sail is the sale. Yeah, I meant to do that...

Well, basically, i am thinking you press the "trigger"(Whatever that may be), and the panels which hide the sail pop open, and under each one, a small rod(Eight inches long or so), pops out, and quarter sails open up from each.
Just a plastic sail, in four parts.
Not in scale with the ship, but a token gesture.
It could totally be done.

Ando
08-31-2009, 05:24 PM
Well, basically, i am thinking you press the "trigger"(Whatever that may be), and the panels which hide the sail pop open, and under each one, a small rod(Eight inches long or so), pops out, and quarter sails open up from each.
Just a plastic sail, in four parts.
Not in scale with the ship, but a token gesture.
It could totally be done.

A fold down handle ala the ARC-170 would be perfect for this...

Bar
08-31-2009, 05:32 PM
It could for sure be incorporated.
I wouldn't actually care about the feature as long as the thing looked right and proportional in the closed position!

Tycho
09-01-2009, 01:14 AM
I never thought about doing it like a plastic umbrella, or sections of one. Great idea, guys!

DarkArtist
09-01-2009, 01:16 PM
this is a possibility of purchase but i would want to see up close first and the price tag would have to be very reasonable... i'm thinking max $29.99

dindae
09-02-2009, 01:47 PM
Another non-combat transport ship. The key features for me would be the sails extending and a cockpit for Dooku. I'm pretty sure the adding of cloth sail would drive it over the $20 pricepoint which is the only place I see it getting released. But if they release it and it is $40 or less and it is cannon and never been released before I'm probably going to buy it.

FundingMyAddiction
09-04-2009, 05:46 PM
Yes, I definitely want it made. I was always impressed with the ship in the movies. I think it'd be fun to see how Hasbro would create it. Even if it isn't entirely to scale.

As for any other features, I can't think of any. The ideas in the original post are great.

I wouldn't want it if it ended up costing too much, if it barely had any features, or if the implementation of the solar sail was shoddy or terrible.

If produced, I don't think it would sell very well at all. Not even being Clone Wars related would help it, considering its small part in the saga.

Tycho
09-14-2009, 01:00 AM
The results for Count Dooku's Solar Sailor thus far are:

18 yes votes
13 no votes

Dooku's Solar Sailor has done the best out of any Prequel Trilogy vehicle we voted on thus far.

Darth Metalmute
09-14-2009, 07:50 AM
I do not think it is possible to fit two figures, have deployable sails, and be scaled in a way that it doesn't look wierd next to any vehicles that have been made. I would definately have to see a product before I decide on this one.

Tycho
02-01-2010, 07:19 AM
This was the first Prequel Trilogy ship to get a strong yes vote from our members.

I don't need the solar sailor, but if it's done cool, I could definitely buy it.

TheDarthVader
02-01-2010, 01:30 PM
Sweet! The solar sailor is one ship that I really want from the prequels and that is saying a lot since I usually collect only OT ships. Hasbro could make this thing rock if they put some effort into it and less gimmicks, of course.