PDA

View Full Version : Would You Buy The Droid Gunship?

Tycho
08-28-2009, 12:17 AM
I'm going to start a new thread series, however this one will be the last installment for this week and I'll wait until folks return on Monday to create another. Overall, there will be 3 PT vehicles to discuss in the meanwhile, and we'll move on to 3 OT vehicles and an EU one next week.

This will discuss ONLY the vehicle in the title of the thread [in this case the Droid Gunship from ROTS and The Clone Wars(?)].

I will cover several unmade vehicles for the action figures per week, choosing them from a rotating schedule through the movies and the Expanded Universe (I guess - we'll see how that goes).

I'll order it TPM, AOTC, ROTS, ANH, ESB, ROTJ, EU, and then keep going back through the order in that manner.

So here I'm only asking you if you'd buy The Droid Gunship vehicle from Revenge of the Sith.

I envision this vehicle for the $30 price range most likely. I think it could be done for $20, but it would be undersized. Lego has created a really nice one for their building set line.

The key features here on the Droid Gunship will be row upon row of firing missiles and dropping bombs.

The vehicle is probably automatically controlled by a droid brain of its own, but a cockpit could be put in it to hold either a Battle Droid Pilot, or a Jedi character like Mace Windu who might take over the ship during kids' play with their action figures.

Do you want the Droid Gunship made? For $30? How about for a $20 price range and slightly less accurate and smaller?

What other features would you want on it?

Why would you NOT want it?

How do you think it would sell if produced?

Does the ship being a potential Clone Wars tie-in do any good for sales here? (Has it even been featured in the Clone Wars animated show yet?)

Droid
08-28-2009, 07:34 AM
No thanks.

bigbarada
08-28-2009, 07:39 AM
Nope. Maybe back in 2005-06 when I was interested in recreating a small portion of the Kashyyk battle, but not now.

I definitely think this would have to be in the $25 line, since it's barely visible and it's never really clear onscreen whether it carries troops or not. Also it doesn't really do anything cool like walk or transform, so there's no real need for it to be a larger deluxe vehicle.

Darth Jax
08-28-2009, 07:41 AM
Nope, wouldn't buy one.

The playability of lots of firing missiles might make it kid friendly. But it doesn't look star wars and would need to appear heavily in several CW eps before kids would recognize it and want it.

vger
08-28-2009, 07:53 AM
I'd buy a $20 version if it could hold a couple of Battle Droids and/or Commando Droids as pilots. Perhaps the new folding Battle Droid mold would make it possible to fit 4 or 5 Battle Droids in the troop carrier portion.

pbarnard
08-28-2009, 08:10 AM
Not for $30. $20 maybe, because it preys upon my weakness for droids.

DarkArtist
08-28-2009, 10:21 AM
i'd pass. sorry Tycho.... i would rather a TPM Droid Control Ship. I would lay down $$$$ for a large vehicle like that.

mtriv73
08-28-2009, 10:28 AM
This one I would actually buy.

It could be made in the $20-25 scale range with enough detail to be fun.

Snowtrooper
08-28-2009, 11:32 AM
-I'd buy it, since its a combat vehicle. I do like the overall design of it. There hasn't been near as many vehicles made for the droids as there has been for republic forces. I would spend over $30 for proper scale vehicle or even under that for a scaled back version, provided it wasn't too small. The big knock against it, IMO, is the lack of screen time. But, I think it could be a decent seller if done properly.

Snowtrooper
08-28-2009, 11:37 AM
Hey Tycho, do you want us to just answer whether we would buy this or not? Or do you want us to answer the rest of the questions too since they are listed?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-28-2009, 12:28 PM
Though it hasn't been in the show yet, I think it could do well in the $20(ish) line. I'd get it. I assume they'd add a droid cockpit, but wouldn't be crestfallen if they didn't.

El Chuxter
08-28-2009, 12:45 PM
Do you have a picture? I honestly have no clue what this ship is, and the name sounds generic enough that I'm not sure if I could easily find the correct one.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-28-2009, 12:52 PM
Here (http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/2/25/HMP_Sticker.jpg) is a shot of it. It's apparently also called the Heavy Missile Platform. So far it's only been seen on Kashyyyk in ROTS.

GeonosisJedi
08-28-2009, 02:44 PM
Yes! This is also one of the vehicles on my most-wanted list...
There needs to be more ships for my Separatist Fleet...and I think the Drod Gunship would be a great addition.

To be realistic, it would likely be placed in Hasbro's over-priced "medium-sized" vehicle line...but I'd still buy it no matter what the price.

It could sell well...but there definately has to be a few appearances in The Clone Wars before that could be guarenteed.

JOCASTA NU
FANS CHOICE FIGURE

Droide
08-28-2009, 02:51 PM
It`s a cool vehicle,but my focus is mainly in the OT stuff,so I don`t think I`d buy it.

Devo
08-28-2009, 03:10 PM
No I wouldn't buy this. By now I have most of the prequel vehicles I want with exception of the MTT, Dooku's solar sailor, and those Republic command station platforms from the Geonosis battlefield.

What goes against this Droid gunship for me is its from my least liked Prequel film and I don't even remember seeing it. The Kasshyyk battle was too fleeting for me to ever want to bother recreating and this vehicle just doesn't look interesting enough in its own right, nor would it appear to have any possible interractivity with figures like the Republic Gunship.

Old Fossil
08-28-2009, 03:54 PM
I wouldn't buy it, but I imagine there's a small (but strong) market for it.

El Chuxter
08-28-2009, 03:57 PM
Okay, it looks cool, but no.

clone157
08-28-2009, 07:09 PM
Yes I would buy it. The bombs/missles are a must, but I have an idea for a feature. What if the posts for bombs were the same size as the holes for the backpacks of the basic battle droids? That way the Seps can airlift in a squad of their own, and it is more of a match for the Republic gunship. Hasbro tends not to look toward the future when it comes to interactivity between future releases of product. Take, for instance, the Gun pods for the Assult on Geonosis BP. Why not put a peg on it to hook onto the Turbo Tank?
Missed oppportunity.

Tycho
08-28-2009, 09:05 PM
Hey Tycho, do you want us to just answer whether we would buy this or not? Or do you want us to answer the rest of the questions too since they are listed?

Yes, that would be cool but it's not required. I merely wanted to give the discussion some angles to go forward from.

I would buy the Droid Gunship myself - specifically for the Kashyyyk scene if nothing else. Now that the Seps will have the Corp. All. Tank Droid as well, this will go a long way to completing their movie vehicle forces so one can set up a real galactic civil war.

I think the idea of it carrying folded up Battle Droids as a real drop-ship is a great one! Nice thinking there and an easily added feature because you could put bombs or (sold separately) droids on those racks at no extra cost.

The swivel cannons on the front of it could be re-used from the AT-TE's front cannons quite nicely, too (I think).

Playmates' Terminator toyline used an underside cockpit - carry hatch for a Terminator exoskeleton pilot in its hunter-killer vehicle and the same could be done with a battle droid here. Like I said before, during a kid's play, Mace Windu or some other Jedi could hijack the thing and take control over it, too.

Right now, aside from "off-screen play action," I don't see much use for it beyond adding to my Kashyyyk diorama from ROTS, but I could use 1-2 of these Droid Gunships to do just that.

I'd definitely buy here (and again, Lego made a nice one for their ROTS line).

pbarnard
08-30-2009, 12:14 PM
Yes! This is also one of the vehicles on my most-wanted list...

Yes, but you're going to owe everyone on this board a Jocasta Nu figure. :thumbsup::yes::whip:

RoonStones
08-30-2009, 01:01 PM
Here (http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/2/25/HMP_Sticker.jpg) is a shot of it. It's apparently also called the Heavy Missile Platform. So far it's only been seen on Kashyyyk in ROTS.

Hmm, I don't even remember this being in the movie, and if it was, it was probably there for a few nanoseconds - just like the Wookies and the entire battle.

So I maintain my "No Prequel" policy whether $20 or $30. :tired:

But knowing what's actually making to toy shelves these days with Star Wars, this is a somewhat better idea.

TheDarthVader
08-31-2009, 12:42 AM
I will just say no to the droid gunship.

plasticfetish
08-31-2009, 04:37 AM
I'd pass on this. The droid tri-fighter was cool, and this has a similar appeal, but I'm not interested at this point

DarkJedi5
08-31-2009, 09:06 AM
Do you want it made? How about for a $20 price range and slightly less accurate and smaller?
I would very much like to see this one made. It's an aggressive vehicle and if it isn't in the cartoon yet it should be. I think $20 range would be too small but I'd take something over nothing.

What other features would you want on it?
Um, I don't think there are many features it would have to have, it's a pretty simple design and doesn't do a whole lot of crazy stuff on screen. I guess make it screen accurate with moving parts in all the right places and then cram it with missiles for the kiddies.

Why would you NOT want it?
I guess if it looked terrible or had a non accurate paint job, that's the only thing I'd be nervous about. They painted the WM exclusive Octoparra droid with the CW color scheme and so it's pretty useless for a Mygeeto diorama.

How do you think it would sell if produced?
Very well, especially if it's got some sort of pilot capacity for the kids to interact with.

Does the ship being a Clone Wars tie-in do any good for sales here?
Probably. Has it been in the show yet? I haven't seen it.

dindae
09-02-2009, 12:37 PM
I think it would be a good buy at $20. Because there are no hatches visible the scale isn't a big issue. It would probably do better if it had some tie in with Clone Wars but any new $20 vehicle tends to do at least fairly well.

SplFrcsCWO
09-03-2009, 04:08 PM
I'd spring for one.

Tycho
09-14-2009, 12:02 AM
The results for the Droid Gunship as they currently stand are:

11 yes votes
11 no votes

The Droid Gunship has done the worst out of all the Prequel Trilogy vehicles polled for thus far.

Darth Metalmute
09-14-2009, 06:45 AM
I'd pass on this. The droid tri-fighter was cool, and this has a similar appeal, but I'm not interested at this point

Have they made a Tri-Fighter yet? I can't remember seeing one. I would think they should do that one before the Droid gunship.

I will pass on the gunship.

DarkJedi5
09-14-2009, 08:12 AM
Have they made a Tri-Fighter yet? I can't remember seeing one. I would think they should do that one before the Droid gunship.

I will pass on the gunship.

The tri-fighter came out in the ROTS wave oh so many moons ago. I've got one but it was pretty forgettable.

Obsession is Nute
09-15-2009, 08:26 PM
Yes, absolutely. Jabba's Sail Barge, the AT-ST, Rogue Shadow and Seperatist Vehicles are about all I would consider buying at this point considering space limitations.

JediTricks
12-04-2009, 01:04 AM
Tycho reminded me that I didn't vote in this.

This is a tough one, I don't think they COULD do it, it'd need figure interaction to get my attention, and it'd have to be fairly wide/sizable. But I don't think I'd actually PAY $60+ for one, and at that price it'd probably be too big to be whooshable which IMO is also vital. Maybe as a $40 exclusive, or maybe they could pull it off with a REALLY small cockpit that just barely holds a figure and then a thin main body, but I dunno. I'm on the bubble, but I'll say yes to this for now.

JediTricks
12-04-2009, 04:48 AM
WHAT TIMING!!! Just a few hours later, and the Droid Gunship appears to be a reality:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b5.../IMG_0269a.jpg (http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b59/bear78/IMG_0269a.jpg)

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b5.../IMG_0270a.jpg (http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b59/bear78/IMG_0270a.jpg)

So, all the nay votes, I guess you'll need to think about this choice before you. ;)

Tycho
12-04-2009, 04:51 AM
Awesome. Are they going to re-use the mold to pick up the Star Trek line and turn that into the saucer section of the Enterprise?

I want the ship, btw. I'll buy at least 1 or more of them.

But it does look like the Enterprise.

I vote including a soundchip that plays "Beastie Boys: Sabotage" to attack green alien slave girls :D

LTBasker
12-04-2009, 09:55 AM
Awesome. Are they going to re-use the mold to pick up the Star Trek line and turn that into the saucer section of the Enterprise?

It'll be Abrams' refit version (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y106/Jedigreedo/AbramsEnt2.jpg), obviously. :p :crazed:

Tycho
12-04-2009, 12:36 PM
That made me laugh out loud, Basker.

But it does definitely work for the size and shape, huh?

LTBasker
12-04-2009, 02:31 PM
Yup, and the head of it acts perfectly as the neck. Quite a deadly team there if it calls for saucer separation! :D

Tycho
02-08-2010, 02:07 AM
Well, I just wanted to remind people that I did poll for this ship from ROTS. Enthusiasm for it wasn't very strong but the vote in favor and against it being made TIED! (at the last count).

The point's moot anyway because Hasbro has already gone ahead and made this ship for release this year. Whoo-Hooo! Good for me, as I was one of its proponents.