PDA

View Full Version : Anyone going to buy a PS3 now that the price has dropped?

bigbarada
08-28-2009, 11:51 AM
I just saw the new "slimline" PS3s at Wal-Mart this morning for $300 and I'm still not sure if I'm ready to take the plunge for this system or not. The only game I would probably play is UFC Undisputed. I can't really think of any other games that I would be all that excited about.

Is anyone out there planning on buying it now that the price is down? Or are you kicking yourself for not having waited to purchase it?

El Chuxter
08-28-2009, 12:44 PM
Nope.

The only game that really tempts me is Batman: Arkham Asylum. Even then, I'm willing to wait and see if they eventually get it on the Wii after all. I've got no need for BluRay, either, so that's not a factor for me.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-28-2009, 12:58 PM
I'd only be buying it for Beatles Rock Band and the Blu-ray stuff, but I don't really feel compelled to update to Blu-ray since I doubt it would look too different on my TV and the SW films aren't out in that format yet. I don't play video games much at all, and I'd rather spend the $300 on anything else, so, in a roundabout way, no, I won't get it.

bigbarada
08-28-2009, 01:46 PM
I've been reading a couple of articles that claim that the Wii "must" drop it's price now that there is only a $50 difference between it and the other two consoles. I don't think they realize just how much that really is if you break it down. If you spend $300, then you can get a PS3 with no games, or a Wii with at least 2 games (1 game included, and 1 or more games with the extra $50). So the Wii is still the best value out there.

El Chuxter
08-28-2009, 02:09 PM
I know people who are perfectly happy with just Wii Sports. But if you buy a Wii and WiiPlay, it's $300, and you get two games, two controllers, and one nunchuk.

Rocketboy
08-28-2009, 02:11 PM
I'd still rather have a Wii.

Slicker
08-28-2009, 02:53 PM
I'd only be buying it for Beatles Rock Band ..That's the exact reason why I'll be buying one when we pull back into Japan. I can't friggin' wait to play that game!

El Chuxter
08-28-2009, 03:31 PM
I'll just be getting Beatles Rock Band on my Wii.

Ji'dai
08-28-2009, 09:06 PM
I bought the 160 Gb PS3 bundle with Uncharted: Drake's Fortune in June for $500. Sucks that it's dropped in price now, but I really had no idea it was coming. I've really gotten into the LEGO games, especially Indiana Jones. I'll be getting the sequel when it comes out. I've never played Uncharted, the game that came with the console. The only other game I have is LEGO Star Wars, which I've only played three levels on so far.

I haven't used the Blu-ray player too much. I own only two movies in that format though. The PS3 does a great job upscaling standard def. DVDs to HD though. I was really impressed with it.

I have used the PS3 to view pics I've taken with my digital camera or have scanned. Just put them on a flash drive and plug it into the USB port on the front of the console or transfer them to the internal hard drive. The PS3 has several image slideshow programs you can run which are pretty cool. I have scans of all the covers in my comic book collection which I can browse/display on my HDTV through my PS3.

It's also got a wireless card and web browser but I haven't used those features. My brother sends MP3s he downloads to his PS3 for playback through his home theater system.

scruffziller
08-29-2009, 12:50 PM
One of the main reasons I bought my PS3 was for the Blu-Ray playing.
Now that my OEM software for my Pioneer Blu Ray drive in my media center PC is no good. I bought the new software for like $80. The player is buggy as hell. I got green block noise when it played. I was POed so I demanded a refund. All I had to do was fill out this "PROOF OF DESTRUCTION" form and i got my refund.

But also, PS3 has the most extra features to access on what games you want. Especially Guitar Hero. My brother's Wii only allows 3 songs off of Metallica's Death Magnetic to download. PS3 you can download the whole thing.

Ghostbuster's the game is one of the few games I am intrigued to get.

Blue2th
08-29-2009, 03:01 PM
I was going to get a PS3 for the gaming, but also the Blue-Ray player in it was a major factor.
I went down to Walmart the other day and they had Blue-Ray players for $89, so that might make me rethink things and hold off buying one if a BR player is so cheap now.

Ji'dai
08-30-2009, 11:18 AM
I went down to Walmart the other day and they had Blue-Ray players for $89, so that might make me rethink things and hold off buying one if a BR player is so cheap now. Wow, that's really cheap. I had no idea Blu-ray players had dropped below $200, let alone $100.

preacher
08-30-2009, 11:42 AM
I have no intention of buying of PS3. The only game that has elicited any interest in me is "Infamous". All the rest seem to be the same ol' same ol'. either God of War type games, Devil May Cry type games, or FPS. Plus I have a teen that is desperate to play all the hot titles right now and her grades are notrotious.

I personally like the Wii. And I mostly play my DS. The games Atlus produces are extremely unique. Which I like. And now that I've figured out how to back up DS roms from my collection and play them on Moon Shell the convenience has improved significantly.

JediTricks
09-02-2009, 01:35 PM
I'm a little annoyed that I got a 40gb for my birthday last year and now it's smaller, cheaper, has a much bigger HD, and uses less power. But I'm not sorry I have the one I do, it's been great playing the games I already had, plus now that I have an HDTV, it makes a HUGE difference having blu-ray and HD gaming to put on it. Plus, as Jidai pointed out, it upscales regular DVDs, and with so many dvds in my collection, on my 42" screen that's a big deal. It's also been cool having all my MP3s and digital photos ready to rock at a moment's notice, and I actually do occasionally use the web browser since it's got a fast boot-up time and the system works on my home wifi.

And if I buy only 4 more, I could make a supercomputer! :D

Nope.

The only game that really tempts me is Batman: Arkham Asylum. Even then, I'm willing to wait and see if they eventually get it on the Wii after all. I've got no need for BluRay, either, so that's not a factor for me.I just got the PS3 version of this game for my birthday, it's pretty darn good. The PS3 version is the only one with the Joker challenge levels though where you can fight as the Joker.

preacher
09-02-2009, 04:38 PM
The only reason I would get a PS3 is so that I could possibly stream my ripped dvds through it. Maybe to play Batman (I had forgotten that was also one that captured my attention), and Infamous.

My library of DVDs recently fell victim to my 19 month old. So I've sinced starting ripping them with Handbrake and transferred them to the Tivo. I've thought about getting an external SATA drive to contain some of my library. At least the ones that the baby is most interested in. Disney, Pixar, Dreamworks, so on.

Anybody know how the capacity of the Tivo compares to the PS3? If its capacity is much improved for the Tivo that could persuade me to shell out the clams for the purchase.

DarkArtist
09-14-2009, 10:39 AM
I going to try and save up the dough to buy one as a Birthday / Christmas gift for me.... been looking to get one ever since my PS2 sorta bit the dust... hopefully I can get one before Christmas this way maybe some of my family will get me a few games for it.

JediTricks
09-14-2009, 04:10 PM
The only reason I would get a PS3 is so that I could possibly stream my ripped dvds through it. Maybe to play Batman (I had forgotten that was also one that captured my attention), and Infamous.

My library of DVDs recently fell victim to my 19 month old. So I've sinced starting ripping them with Handbrake and transferred them to the Tivo. I've thought about getting an external SATA drive to contain some of my library. At least the ones that the baby is most interested in. Disney, Pixar, Dreamworks, so on.

Anybody know how the capacity of the Tivo compares to the PS3? If its capacity is much improved for the Tivo that could persuade me to shell out the clams for the purchase.
PS3 has a swappable 2.5" internal harddrive, plus it can connect to external harddrives, and even treat as native externals that are FAT32 formatted (otherwise you have to use the "display all files" method which works, but doesn't put it into the library). There are instructions online on both. Or you could simply transfer what you want to watch from your computer to a flash drive, then plug that drive into the PS3 (if you are doing uncompressed HD, I think the USB2.0 speed limitations may be a problem at the top end for any external method, but am not sure as I've not run into this yet).

PS3 is cool for this because it does a bang-up job of upscaling video to HD (though man did my DVD of Caddyshack show its limits, that is one over-compressed DVD, there are MPEG artifacts everywhere, unlike some of my other DVDs - I just watched Galaxy Quest on it, looked very sharp by comparison).

BTW, Batman: Arkham Asylum is one awesome game, easily the best comic-book-character game of all time and really good in general.

preacher
09-14-2009, 10:12 PM
PS3 has a swappable 2.5" internal harddrive, plus it can connect to external harddrives, and even treat as native externals that are FAT32 formatted (otherwise you have to use the "display all files" method which works, but doesn't put it into the library). There are instructions online on both. Or you could simply transfer what you want to watch from your computer to a flash drive, then plug that drive into the PS3 (if you are doing uncompressed HD, I think the USB2.0 speed limitations may be a problem at the top end for any external method, but am not sure as I've not run into this yet).

PS3 is cool for this because it does a bang-up job of upscaling video to HD (though man did my DVD of Caddyshack show its limits, that is one over-compressed DVD, there are MPEG artifacts everywhere, unlike some of my other DVDs - I just watched Galaxy Quest on it, looked very sharp by comparison).

BTW, Batman: Arkham Asylum is one awesome game, easily the best comic-book-character game of all time and really good in general.

Hmmm. May have to get one after all. First the heathen needs to graduate. Then maybe. Maybe.

Another DVD that is poorly compressed is Richard Prior's moving. I suspect that for this one the DVD producer just digitized the tape version of the movie and burned it to disk rather than remaster the whole show.

JediTricks
09-15-2009, 02:49 PM
I have seen some cheaper DVDs where I'm pretty sure they did just snag a copy of the VHS, and I guess that's cheaper than going to the masters. Drives me crazy. But I think it's worse when they go to the source materials and then just compress the hell out of it, 1989 Batman (the first DVD release, I haven't seen the new one) is pretty bad with this, and yet the fullscreen version on the other side (yes, one of those annoying 2-sided discs) is mastered from a different source because there's a little different content towards the end of the film altogether, a different take. Inexcusable.