PDA

View Full Version : Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back was awesome!



Starfig873
08-24-2001, 10:42 PM
This movie was one of the funniest I've ever seen! Great movie all around & good for laughs too!
The Star Wars references were aplenty in this laugh-fest, such as Mark Hamill's line: "Don't F*** with the Jedi Master"
Go see it if you can! You won't regret it!

The_Collector
08-25-2001, 12:27 AM
"This is the worst idea since Greedo shooting first!"

The movie was good, but dident live up the level of Clerks or Mallrats

QLD
08-25-2001, 07:05 AM
I want to see it soon. Probably this weekend. It doesn't look great, but good enough to keep me quite entertained.

Mike Troxell
08-25-2001, 12:10 PM
One of Kevin Smith's worst, above only Dogma.

Meaning it was still a very, very, very, very excellent movie :D

I just wish Shannon "In the Back of a Volkswagon?" Hamilton would have shown up

2-1B
08-26-2001, 03:05 PM
I find Jay and Silent Bob quite painful . . .

BUT in this very funny movie Jay had some great bits. Shannon Elizabeth and Chris Rock were OUTSTANDING in their roles, and Will Ferell was great as always.

Mark Hamill's costume really diminished what could have been a great cameo.

evenflow
08-26-2001, 06:52 PM
I am sorry, but i thought it was one of the funniest movies I have went to see in the theaters in a while. Hey Collector, i agree, great line. :D

2-1B
03-06-2002, 12:56 AM
Did anyone get the DVD?

I did, and upon another viewing I have softened my stance on the titular characters :D Many of the parts are hit and miss for me, but there's alot of comedic gold there . . .

SithDroid
03-06-2002, 01:20 AM
I purchased the DVD today. I loved it in the theatre at the time. I can't wait to watch it again and see all the extras on the disc.

LTBasker
03-06-2002, 02:32 AM
Hmm... I've wanted to see them but I kinda want to wait to see it on cable or pay-per-view as I don't want to spend the moola on the DVD before seeing in case I may not like it. Anything else on the DVD? Commentary, cutscenes, goofs, etc.?

Beast
03-06-2002, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by LTBasker
Hmm... I've wanted to see them but I kinda want to wait to see it on cable or pay-per-view as I don't want to spend the moola on the DVD before seeing in case I may not like it. Anything else on the DVD? Commentary, cutscenes, goofs, etc.?
Thanks to DVDshrine for the specs and easter egg info:

Disc 1: Screen-Specific Audio Commentary by director Kevin Smith, producer Scott Mosier, and co-star Jason Mewes, Sneak Peeks contains trailers for other Dimension / Miramax DVDs. We have selections for 40 Days and 40 Nights, Clerks, Chasing Amy, Clerks Uncensored, “Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back Soundtrack”, and finally, “Dimension Cutting Edge Films.”

Disc 2: Deleted Scenes with Intros by Kevin Smith and Guests and includes 42 deleted scenes and outtakes running for almost 90-minutes, Gag Reel, Still Galleries, The Secret Stash, 2 Internet Trailers, 6 TV Spots, Behind The Scenes Featurette, Morris Day and the Time: Learnin’ the Moves, Guide to Morris Day and the Time, 2 Music Videos, Comedy Central’s Reel Comedy: Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, Cast and Crew Filmographies, Storyboards, DVD-ROM content, and a very naughty easter egg. :D

Easter Egg: The Cast and Crew Filmographies section also contains an easily found Easter Egg. Be warned however, once you choose to watch this Easter Egg, you’ll never be able to go back. It’s has to be one of the most grotesque and disturbing things I have ever seen and it’s not for the faint of heart. Really. I’m not kidding. Anyway, here’s what you do: 1) choose the bio / filmography for Jason Mewes, 2) once selected, press –UP- on your DVD remote, 3) you will now see the title “Jason Mewes” has changed to “Jason Mewes’ BALLS”, 4) press –ENTER- and let the party begin!

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Rollo Tomassi
03-06-2002, 08:07 AM
"Then we throw the dixie cup out."


:D ;)

El Chuxter
03-06-2002, 12:09 PM
They included all the cut scenes, so they're hit and miss. Some scenes--particularly the ones with just Will Farrell--are worth the $20 alone. :D

Rollo Tomassi
03-06-2002, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the Easter Egg, JJB! I KNEW there was one on there, but I spent hours fruitlessly searching for it.

Rollo Tomassi
03-06-2002, 01:58 PM
AIIEEEEE!!! Scratch my eyes out! I take that back JJB.:eek:

EASTER EGG WARNING: Does the term "Fruit Basket" mean anything to you? If it does and you're offended, DO NOT watch the easter egg.

Beast
03-06-2002, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
AIIEEEEE!!! Scratch my eyes out! I take that back JJB.:eek:
EASTER EGG WARNING: Does the term "Fruit Basket" mean anything to you? If it does and you're offended, DO NOT watch the easter egg.
Well, I did warn you. :D Remember: Be warned however, once you choose to watch this Easter Egg, you’ll never be able to go back. It’s has to be one of the most grotesque and disturbing things I have ever seen and it’s not for the faint of heart. Really. I’m not kidding.

I was pretty horrific, I agree wholeheartedly. See, all you people that complained about Easter Eggs. Arn't you glad they hid this so you couldn't view it on accident. :D A perfect example of why Easter Eggs are an important feature of DVD's. :eek:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Pendo
03-06-2002, 02:23 PM
Incase I'm mistaken, what is on this easter egg?

PENDO!

Beast
03-06-2002, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Pendo
Incase I'm mistaken, what is on this easter egg?
PENDO!
Well, lemme try to put this as vaguely as I can, so that I don't get banned. When Jay pulls his pants down to show the cop his rear, somthing just happens to be stuffed in between his legs and is visible to the camera. Causing the whole set to errupt in hysterics. Clear enough for ya? :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Pendo
03-06-2002, 02:32 PM
:eek: I'm sorry I asked!!!!!

I'm glad I don't have the DVD.

PENDO!

Mike Troxell
03-06-2002, 04:57 PM
Just for your info, another little easter egg...

Go to the profile for Jim Venable (composer) and look at his birthday. Hit the number of the day of his birth on your remote and then hit enter.

JediTricks
03-06-2002, 07:08 PM
Well, I finally saw the movie, the DVD menus are annoying as crap, I think it's time the term "interactive menus" got taken off the "DVD Features" listing on the packaging - so many are boring, only like Monty Python and the Holy Grail are worth any interest at all, the rest like this Jay & Silent Bob DVD are lacking. Anyway, as to the movie itself, I thought it kinda sucked, it was a few good moments slapped into a lot of "Kevin Smith was given too much freedom and money" stuff. This movie definitely is nowhere near Dogma, Clerks, or even Mallrats for me.

As for the deleted scenes, I got about half way through before I had to go. It amazes me how so many of these were pieces Smith shouldn't have cut from the film, yet there are 2 minute intros to little bits that should never have been filmed in the first place. (And, nothing personal, but I found most of Will Ferrell's schtick to be completely unfunny, and his deleted scene work was in the same caliber.)

Finally, according to IMDB's trivia section, Shannon Elizabeth's role was originally offered to Heather Graham, who turned it down because she couldn't imagine why her character (a lesbian diamond thief) would fall in love with Jay. This was the question I kept asking throughout the movie - especially when you take the Jay & Silent Bob comics into account, as Jay is the guy who even the porn girls hate as they would rather flock to Silent Bob - I found this "little plot twist" to be really annoying and distracting.

Rollo Tomassi
03-07-2002, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by Mike Troxell
Just for your info, another little easter egg...

Go to the profile for Jim Venable (composer) and look at his birthday. Hit the number of the day of his birth on your remote and then hit enter.

Pretty cool. Where'd you find that at? I'd never think to look for something like that ...

Is that Harley at the Ranch?

2-1B
03-07-2002, 01:27 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Finally, according to IMDB's trivia section, Shannon Elizabeth's role was originally offered to Heather Graham, who turned it down because she couldn't imagine why her character (a lesbian diamond thief) would fall in love with Jay. This was the question I kept asking throughout the movie - especially when you take the Jay & Silent Bob comics into account, as Jay is the guy who even the porn girls hate as they would rather flock to Silent Bob - I found this "little plot twist" to be really annoying and distracting.

True! Due to the minimal inclusion of Jason Lee in J&SBSB, I just had to go back and watch Chasing Amy again. Bob is the one with the charm, his lesson about "chasing Amy" containing merit while Jay shows his ignorance. The sensitive thief should have gravitated to Bob . . . maybe Eliza Dushku's thief (if anyone)should have gone for Jay.

That Easter Egg (or is it easter eggs :D ?) was horrible. But not out of the realm of "Kevin Smith film" decency :)

Mike Troxell
03-07-2002, 09:16 AM
I frequently read and infrequently post at the ViewAskew.com message boards and I saw it there. If the honorable boardmembers are correct, that's Jim Venable's young son.

It does look a little like Harley though :)

Nothing can kill the Grimace!

Jayspawn
03-07-2002, 10:59 AM
I plan on buying it this weekend. I havn't seen it, but I have great faith in it.

BTW, Dogma was great! "How the f*** should I know, I've never driven before."

Rollo Tomassi
03-07-2002, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Mike Troxell
I frequently read and infrequently post at the ViewAskew.com message boards and I saw it there. If the honorable boardmembers are correct, that's Jim Venable's young son.

It does look a little like Harley though :)

Nothing can kill the Grimace!

They all look the same when they are that young. I was wondering if that was at Skywalker Sound on the the Ranch, since thats there they did the audio for the movie.

Mike Troxell
03-07-2002, 11:59 AM
I'd like to add that although I love the flick, one little in-joke irks me. When Brodie makes the chocolate pretzel/stinkpalm reference to Mallrats, does it seem forced to anyone else?

Other then that, I find the in-jokes to be well-done and the regular jokes to also be well done.

SithDroid
03-07-2002, 07:50 PM
Yes the Brodie reference with the finger up his a** is way out of place. There was no point for that to be in the movie, plus if Brodie is a true comic book fan he would never stcik his finger up there then handle comics. That would ruin them. That was the only part of the movie that I didn't like.

SithDroid
03-07-2002, 11:32 PM
I was in Best Buy yesterday and saw that Clerks has been marked down to $14.99 regular price. Is this right? The last I saw them they were selling for $32.99. Is there a special edition coming out soon and that is why they are marked down? I know that there is a new edition of Chasing Amy coming out, but what about Clerks? Does anyone know?

Beast
03-07-2002, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by SithDroid
I was in Best Buy yesterday and saw that Clerks has been marked down to $14.99 regular price. Is this right? The last I saw them they were selling for $32.99. Is there a special edition coming out soon and that is why they are marked down? I know that there is a new edition of Chasing Amy coming out, but what about Clerks? Does anyone know?
Yes, indeed there is. In 2004 there will be a special 10th Anniversary 2-disc set. It will have a new audio commentary by the cast and crew, and right now a 4 1/2 hour documentary about the View Askew Universe. :D There is no new edition of Chasing Amy planned at this time, the Criterion is it until the rights expire.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
03-07-2002, 11:49 PM
Binks, I remember reading on a DVD site that Chasing Amy is being released by Criterion. Is this just a reissue or might there be more material included this time?

SithDroid, maybe you read the same info that I did?

I currently have the Criterion issue, borrowed from a friend. There's alot of extra material, but I think it's been out for awhile . . . a few years I believe :)

Beast
03-07-2002, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by Caesar
Binks, I remember reading on a DVD site that Chasing Amy is being released by Criterion. Is this just a reissue or might there be more material included this time? SithDroid, maybe you read the same info that I did? I currently have the Criterion issue, borrowed from a friend. There's alot of extra material, but I think it's been out for awhile . . . a few years I believe :)
When ever there is a price reduction, some on-line retailers count it as a new release. Since the price is changed, it's easier for them to count the first release discontinued, and mark it as new. It's a stupid practice, IMHO cause it causes confusion sometimes. The current Criterion is a port over of the original Laserdisc, and I don't think it's going out of print anytime soon.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
03-08-2002, 12:16 AM
Yes, the laserdisc issue. I now recall Kevin Smith referring to it in one of the deleted scenes.
I agree, that is really a bad practice - they had me confused!

Here's a Criterion question for ya, how often DO they discontinue titles? I know Silence of the Lambs is OOP, and I had to search extensively for my Rushmore disc . . . but Armageddon reappeared in a slimmer two disc set.



:cool:

Mike Troxell
03-08-2002, 02:32 PM
It's a reprinting of the original DVD with no new stuff.