PDA

View Full Version : Would You Buy An Updated Cruisemissle Trooper?

Slicker
09-01-2009, 11:47 AM
In line with Tycho's threads this one has been at the forefront of my mind for some time. With the utter success of the original cruisemissle trooper (can you say army builder?!?!?!) and it's outrageous demand on eBay would you like to say an updated one?

I envision this to be in the $30 price range if done nicely. Of course it would HAVE to come with an SA trooper. The first one had 1 point of articulation but with the way Hasbros been kicking *** and taking names on articulation I know for a fact that they can churn out at least 3-4 points and anything else is a bonus!

Obviously this would have spring loaded missles, secret compartments, and many more action features.

What other features would you want on it?

Why would you NOT want it?

How do you think it would sell if produced?

Droid
09-01-2009, 12:14 PM
No, I always thought it was silly.

El Chuxter
09-01-2009, 07:09 PM
Abso-freakin'-lutely. Aside from the shoddy execution, I always thought the design was awesome. Sort of the atmospheric version of a TIE Fighter (which, due to its engines, would be useless once it hits atmosphere).

RoonStones
09-01-2009, 07:49 PM
Maybe if it came with a removable figure this time. My choice for not buying it back in the day (which subsequently ended my completism) was that the figure head was molded in.

Darth Jax
09-01-2009, 08:31 PM
does a crack***** jones for crack???? course i'd buy that sweet thing in a nanosecond

JediTricks
09-01-2009, 09:11 PM
All kidding aside, I actually would buy an updated one. It's a cool design, a manned space torpedo, the guys who washed out of TIE Pilot school can still be useful. It's very low-profile and small so it can sneak into landing bays. It closes up for space flight, then slams into the hull of an enemy ship so the pilot can jump out and get a few shots in. And it has opening wings and variable-angle engines for advanced maneuvers. That thing is cool, it just had lame execution by not making the figure removable.

BTW, the figure had 4 points of articulation:
neck
shoulder x2
spring-loaded waist

Snowtrooper
09-01-2009, 09:58 PM
Right now, I would say no. But if it was made really well, I might change my mind.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-01-2009, 10:32 PM
I still don't have the old one and I would rather have new vehicles or updates to ones from the films themselves.

But, if it would make Slicker really happy, then I'd buy it. :D

Slicker
09-02-2009, 04:56 AM
Well, seeing as support for this is quite overwhelming I'm going to email Hasbro right now and ask them about it. :thumbsup:

Old Fossil
09-02-2009, 06:50 AM
Absolutely not. It was one of the dumbest things I'd ever seen come out of this line.

Blue2th
09-02-2009, 07:11 AM
It is a cool looking vehicle. They should use this in the new Clone Wars series, or something like it as a lower atmospheric quick strike vehicle.
Then again they need a new larger mother ship vehicle, something like a B-52 with a bunch of these attached to the wings. The Gunship is too awkward with it's wings pointing down.

If it was an improved one I would buy it.
Already have the old one, along with the other small expanded universe vehicles. Some which are quite cool, like the single seat Cloud Car and Swoop.

vger
09-02-2009, 08:13 AM
No. It's a neat looking vehicle and might sell well under the Clone Wars line if an animated Trooper is included. I passed on the original since the figure was not removable, had it been a seperate figure that could fit in the ship I would have bought the first version.

El Chuxter
09-02-2009, 08:13 AM
I'm baffled that most people seem to think the idea is sound and the design at least decent, even if the toy was lousy, yet this hasn't shown up at all in a single EU source. You'd think they could at least have thrown them in as villains in a Rogue Squadron comic or game. Really, it's been what, twelve years?

Slicker
09-02-2009, 08:51 AM
I'm baffled that most people seem to think the idea is sound and the design at least decent, even if the toy was lousy, yet this hasn't shown up at all in a single EU source. You'd think they could at least have thrown them in as villains in a Rogue Squadron comic or game. Really, it's been what, twelve years?
I'm just as baffled as you! This thing has potential coming out the arse!!! Maybe we should all register at RS and make some totally AWESOME fan fiction with the cruisemissle trooper as the lead character! Even if there was some way to mess up a story with this sweet vehicle it would be better than that carpy fan fic they have over there.

mtriv73
09-02-2009, 09:00 AM
I'd buy it, but only if they paint it all black and make it the Blackhole cruisemissile trooper! Rather than having a cruisemissle trooper in the cockpit, they should put on the heads of figures who have had really lousy sales. There could be Yarna, Neimiodian guard, any neimoidian for that matter, Ugnaught, and soon Malakili and ICMG variants.

mabudonicus
09-02-2009, 09:20 AM
Cruisemissile Trooper fan-fic?? Why does that seem like such an awesome idea.....
:beard: Iso&Baws&Topes
"DAMMIT" he thought as his sleek triangular craft punched through the upper atmosphere of Maltox 6 "Why the hell are we even bothering with this mudball??"

He held his arms stiffly at his controls as he turned his head slightly to the left to make sure the other troopers were keeping formation, and when he saw the perfectly triangular arrangement of delta-winged interceptors a smile crossed his face behind the distinctive helmet "Lookin Good boys, keep it tight until it's time to deploy the Delta Foils"

El Chuxter
09-02-2009, 09:37 AM
They need holographic Cruisemissiles, silver metallic Cruisemissiles, and "lava reflection" Cruisemissiles in addition to Blackhole Cruisemissiles. Run the entire gamut of cheesy exclusive gimmicks.

pbarnard
09-02-2009, 09:50 AM
I'm thinking mail away exclusive...and you have to buy only peg warmers to qualify.

DarkArtist
09-02-2009, 10:49 AM
i actually would drop $25 for an accuratly done one with a removable figure and tons of actions features. I loved the ship when it first hit the shelves and woould love to see Hasbro redo it for today's standards

Rocketboy
09-02-2009, 10:52 AM
I'd buy that for a dollar!

Seriously, that is all I'd pay for it - 1 dollar.

Slicker
09-02-2009, 11:17 AM
Cruisemissile Trooper fan-fic?? Why does that seem like such an awesome idea.....
"DAMMIT" he thought as his sleek triangular craft punched through the upper atmosphere of Maltox 6 "Why the hell are we even bothering with this mudball??"

He held his arms stiffly at his controls as he turned his head slightly to the left to make sure the other troopers were keeping formation, and when he saw the perfectly triangular arrangement of delta-winged interceptors a smile crossed his face behind the distinctive helmet "Lookin Good boys, keep it tight until it's time to deploy the Delta Foils"That's utterly epic!

i actually would drop $25 for an accuratly done one with a removable figure and tons of actions features. I loved the ship when it first hit the shelves and woould love to see Hasbro redo it for today's standardsWell, seeing as there's no other reference to it ANYWHERE no matter how they make it it will be accurate!!!!

elvandrik
09-02-2009, 11:18 AM
An updated cruise missile trooper is kind of like lipstick on a pig. It's still a pig.

Slicker
09-02-2009, 11:21 AM
An updated cruise missile trooper is kind of like lipstick on a pig. It's still a pig.But it's a pig with class and panache!

JediTricks
09-02-2009, 12:31 PM
I'm baffled that most people seem to think the idea is sound and the design at least decent, even if the toy was lousy, yet this hasn't shown up at all in a single EU source. You'd think they could at least have thrown them in as villains in a Rogue Squadron comic or game. Really, it's been what, twelve years?Geez, does that mean the Cruisemissile Trooper is less known/popular than Teras Kasi?!? That should be unfathomable.

Blue2th
09-02-2009, 01:05 PM
I'm just as baffled as you! This thing has potential coming out the arse!!! Maybe we should all register at RS and make some totally AWESOME fan fiction with the cruisemissle trooper as the lead character! Even if there was some way to mess up a story with this sweet vehicle it would be better than that carpy fan fic they have over there.

I'm up for that. Maybe we should all register there and do what all their Jocasta Nubies did here, and explain that the Cruise Missile Trooper is the shizzle!!! No matter what they say, no matter what reasoning they give, it's the best! :thumbsup:

Not saying that it isn't because it is pretty cool, just sayin' :)

pbarnard
09-02-2009, 01:11 PM
Geez, does that mean the Cruisemissile Trooper is less known/popular than Teras Kasi?!? That should be unfathomable.

Yes, because Teras Kasi has made it into 3 role playing books, Shadows of the Empire novel, 1 terrible video game and I think one or 2 miniatures "special attacks". The cruise missile trooper has only been seen collecting dust as the PotF2 collections most infamous shelf warmer. So yeah, one is slightly beloved by a fringe of the fandom.

JediTricks
09-02-2009, 01:14 PM
Yes, because Teras Kasi has made it into 3 role playing books, Shadows of the Empire novel, 1 terrible video game and I think one or 2 miniatures "special attacks". The cruise missile trooper has only been seen collecting dust as the PotF2 collections most infamous shelf warmer. So yeah, one is slightly beloved by a fringe of the fandom.
The most infamous POTF2 shelfwarmers will always be Malakili and the orange-box "playsets". :p

Slicker
09-02-2009, 02:58 PM
Are you guys kidding?! I don't recall EVER seeing these shelf warm. And I guarantee you that mine isn't collecting dust at all.

El Chuxter
09-02-2009, 07:15 PM
Teras Kasi seems to have a bit of a following. Even Arden Lyn got a mention in The Essential Chronology, along with a totally out-of-the-blue status as Emperor's Hand. (HUH???)

I've not seen Thok and Hoar show up anywhere. Thok as a Gamorrean mystic who can make himself look bigger would be cool.

Devo
09-02-2009, 08:30 PM
I'm still not sure if this is a serious question. If anyone loves the cruisemissile trooper enough to still be talking about it today then why even request an update? Does the fact you're still talking about it not indicate you think its a great little vehicle as is?

Well anyway if this isn't a joke - answer is no I wouldn't buy it I'm afraid....*ears perk up, eyes go crosseyed*"you will be..you will be" :D

Darth Jax
09-02-2009, 09:34 PM
They need holographic Cruisemissiles, silver metallic Cruisemissiles, and "lava reflection" Cruisemissiles in addition to Blackhole Cruisemissiles. Run the entire gamut of cheesy exclusive gimmicks.

don't forget python patrol, tiger force, ninja force, night watch cruisemissile troops to go along with the rainbow colored troopers

Cane_Adiss
09-02-2009, 09:55 PM
would i buy this? Absolutely! I've been wondering for awhile about the possibility of these seeing an upgrade. I've even had a question in the q & a about it that noone seemed interested in, until now.

JT any chance you still have that question somewhere on ur computer? Maybe we should add it back to the list!

El Chuxter
09-02-2009, 10:53 PM
I'm still not sure if this is a serious question. If anyone loves the cruisemissile trooper enough to still be talking about it today then why even request an update? Does the fact you're still talking about it not indicate you think its a great little vehicle as is?
No, just that the idea is a really good one. The toy execution is ridiculously bad, but the overall ship design and premise are so good that it's probably the best EU vehicle. The old one is poop. A new one that didn't have the same flaws would be awesome.

don't forget python patrol, tiger force, ninja force, night watch cruisemissile troops to go along with the rainbow colored troopers
Yeesh, if we're getting into GIJoe repaint schemes, everyone out of the pool!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-02-2009, 11:32 PM
Are you serious with the praise? The design is so stuck in the mid-90s; it just reeks of all the other generic toys from that era. I can't put my finger on it but it just screams mid-90s.

El Chuxter
09-02-2009, 11:47 PM
And the Virago, Swoop, or Outrider don't? Heck, it looks a lot like the second version of the Jedi Starfighter once you get rid of the TIE-styled cockpit.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-03-2009, 12:12 AM
And the Virago, Swoop, or Outrider don't? Heck, it looks a lot like the second version of the Jedi Starfighter once you get rid of the TIE-styled cockpit.
You do point out one thing - all the SOTE stuff is stuck in its time as well. There's no classic look to any of it like there is with the stuff in the movies themselves (most of it, anyway).

Again, though, I'm not sure what's off about the design. The black plastic? The red tips? The soft detailing on the guns? The shape is indeed kind of reminiscent of the Jedi starfighter (the ones from AOTC and TCW, but not really ROTS), but that's more likely because the JSF was based on the Star Destroyers, as perhaps the cruisemissile trooper was too.

I still don't have this thing, by the way.

plasticfetish
09-03-2009, 02:41 AM
A revamp of the Cruise Missile Trooper (CMT) would be great! I've spent a lot of money on expensive Japanese garage kits in order to make custom versions of the character, so it would be awesome to get an "official" SA version of the CMT.

Maybe if (sorry, I mean... when) the CMT is a hit, they'll go back and do the Crowd Control Stormtrooper as well.

...and could we please have more fanfic Mabs?

El Chuxter
09-03-2009, 07:25 AM
All joking aside, you'd think someone somewhere would've done something with some of Hasbro's 1990s designs. Okay, the Sport Skiff is pretty meh, and Boba Fett's insane rig is downright dumb. But I could totally see Han's smuggler backpack shown in a closet of the Falcon (not actually used, just shown), or the Cruisemissile Trooper or Crowd Control Stormtrooper actually playing a role.

CCS is like the Cruisemissile: the problem is only in the execution. Strictly on design, it's better than 99% of Clonetrooper variations.

mabudonicus
09-03-2009, 08:03 AM
I don't want to gum up the thread with my opus (glad ya liked it btw)

I will write more and post it in the CB in installments :D
Should make for good reading, especially when the tattooine connection is revealed ;)

El Chuxter
09-03-2009, 02:03 PM
Sadly, almost all the results on a Google search are various posts in this thread. :(

pbarnard
09-03-2009, 02:21 PM
I will say this, the Cruise Missile trooper head is the easiest head to hollow out to make a custom helmet.

morpheus282
09-03-2009, 06:41 PM
I didn't buy it when it was clearanced out from store shelves, and I don't think I'd buy it now. It's just too goofy of a design for me to see as a Star Wars toy. It looks better suited to GI Joe, maybe a Cobra vehicle.

DarkJedi5
09-03-2009, 08:15 PM
I bought one but it would have to be pretty freakin cool to trick me into buying another one.

DarkArtist
09-03-2009, 08:47 PM
I don't know i think the concept was awesome actually and far better than the POTF Deluxe figures of Crowd Control Stormtrooper, Flight Pack Han and Desert Skiff Luke....

something about the cruise trooper just seems cool. I love mine and have it displayed in my concept / EU wing. would definately love to see an update of it.

Slicker
09-03-2009, 09:40 PM
I'm really likin' all of the positive feedback here. I was seriously starting to think I was the only person that actually liked this vehicle. My utter distaste for most everything EU is definitely pushed aside by this vehicle.

I rarely read the Hasbro Q&A so I unfortunately didn't see Cane Addiss's's's's's question or else I for surely would've voted for just that one.

2-1B
09-04-2009, 07:49 PM
Slick, I would vote for it over Jocasta N00b in a poll.

Slicker
09-05-2009, 02:08 AM
Slick, I would vote for it over Jocasta N00b in a poll.Wow, I appreciate that. ;)

Bel-Cam Jos
09-05-2009, 08:26 AM
Only if it had a "New Updated Sculpt!" sticker on the box. You know there's quality when an adhesive label has been applied to the surface.

But to weigh in on this poll, I paraphrase Jar Jar: "Ah, on [first] thought; no."

Slicker
09-06-2009, 04:28 PM
I seriously don't know why even fanboys don't like this thing. I was just reading an official story where Aurra Sing used to pilot a cruisemissle as her personal vehicle of choice. That should make this thing money right there.

El Chuxter
09-11-2009, 12:43 AM
I'll bet there's some Cruisemissile fanfic out there if you look hard enough.

mabudonicus
09-11-2009, 07:42 PM
DAMMIT I looked and looked but I can't find it anywheres!!!
All searches point to this thread somehows...

El Chuxter
09-11-2009, 08:29 PM
I found this one (http://cruisemissiletrooper.blogspot.com/) on the first page of my search. Looks like this dude has a few different fanfics on his site, but this one is all about Cruisemissile Troopers.

Blue2th
09-11-2009, 10:17 PM
I found this one (http://cruisemissiletrooper.blogspot.com/) on the first page of my search. Looks like this dude has a few different fanfics on his site, but this one is all about Cruisemissile Troopers.
Not too bad a fanfic. He's got a Jedi named Khunt :Ponder: that thinks Ashoka's a brat, and Jaxxon is in there as well.
Along with the Cruisemissile Trooper, there's Crowd Control Troopers.
So far so good.

If this is the only place on the world wide web anyone is talking about the CMT it must make one feel kinda special. :D

Slicker
09-16-2009, 01:27 AM
I just went back and read it and he's added more! This is actually some really damn well written EU.

morpheus282
09-17-2009, 09:27 PM
While for the life of me I don't see why anyone would want a new or old Cruisemissile Trooper, I don't think those who do will have long to wait. Check out what Hasbro has resurrected from the bowels of the EU.

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HS93834

Old Fossil
09-17-2009, 09:34 PM
While for the life of me I don't see why anyone would want a new or old Cruisemissile Trooper, I don't think those who do will have long to wait. Check out what Hasbro has resurrected from the bowels of the EU.

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HS93834

How embarrassing for Hasbro.:tired:

El Chuxter
12-17-2009, 07:12 PM
You know what I'd love Santa to bring me for Christmas?

I'd love to see some sort of video starring a Cruisemissile Trooper.

morpheus282
12-17-2009, 07:56 PM
I think I'd almost rather watch Twilight.

gba88
12-18-2009, 08:38 AM
I wouldn't even take one for free if they were giving them away. No interest whatsoever.

El Chuxter
12-18-2009, 01:04 PM
Look what I found! Christmas came early this year!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFlmH-LM6BA

TheDarthVader
12-18-2009, 01:14 PM
Can not remember if I posted an answer, but no!!

DarkJedi5
12-18-2009, 02:11 PM
Look what I found! Christmas came early this year!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFlmH-LM6BA

That had nothing to do with the cruisemissile trooper...

El Chuxter
12-18-2009, 02:19 PM
Shhh... You don't want to make mabs mad! :)

mabudonicus
12-18-2009, 03:39 PM
That is the cruisemissile trooper armour Mk. II and it has EVERYTHING to do with the CMT
EVERYTHING to do with it

Daryl VayDar
12-18-2009, 05:18 PM
OK Mabs... tell me the truth- have you seen this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLp_RXynApU&feature=related

2-1B
12-18-2009, 08:54 PM
That had nothing to do with the cruisemissile trooper...

I watched that video and I didn't think so either at first (when I saw the title and first screen shot) but then I realized it's Frassk from the EU so he wouldn't look like the troopers from the original 90s Hasbro cruisemissile trooper toy but Frassk is definitely a cruisemissile trooper as detailed in the EU.

DarkJedi5
12-18-2009, 09:19 PM
Who's Frassk? He doesn't even have a wookiepedia entry and they've got tons of EU stuff.

2-1B
12-18-2009, 09:34 PM
Who's Frassk? He doesn't even have a wookiepedia entry and they've got tons of EU stuff.

Hmm, you're right...I don't see him listed there either, that's weird.
If you Google "Frassk" though, it should come up in the top 5 searches, though.
Although, he doesn't even show up until Chapter 3 (http://cruisemissiletrooper.blogspot.com/) so maybe he isn't mainstream enough for Wookiepedia yet? (I'm not sure who adds those characters to WP or how they decide who gets added...it's titled after Frassk but Fa'ce seems to be the focus at first, so I guess Frassk is more of an "emerging character" similar to Mace Windu and Obi-Wan in the prequels).

Slicker
12-19-2009, 12:17 AM
Very, VERY sadly I've been following that EU story bout the CMT's and I must say that's it's highly entertaining and whomever is writing it has a good sense of humor but also knows how to write a good story.

My favorite part of that video was the breath holding contest. They looked a damn arthritic man was shaking the figures...

El Chuxter
12-19-2009, 01:08 AM
Actually, isn't he the one saying, "DAMMIT!" in the first sentence of Chapter I, 2-1B?

I want a dedicated Frassk figure already. He should've been in the poll.

Slicker
03-04-2010, 08:58 PM
There are even more updates (I'm bored at work so I read through it) and it's actually getting good. I'm definitely becoming a Frasskophile!!!

El Chuxter
03-31-2010, 02:00 PM
There must be a lot of demand for the Cruisemissile Trooper to be re-released. I see that the figure even has a Facebook page now.

Slicker
03-31-2010, 09:38 PM
There must be a lot of demand for the Cruisemissile Trooper to be re-released. I see that the figure even has a Facebook page now.Are you serious? That's probably fandom going just a bit too far.

Darth Jax
03-31-2010, 10:38 PM
wait til they try to shoehorn it into an episode of clone wars

Slicker
10-26-2010, 04:20 PM
I referred back to this thread in another one (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?p=738276#post738276) and figured I'd check up on the adventures of Frassk. It's still really good EU but sadly hasn't been updated since March.

Mister Roboto
10-28-2010, 06:30 PM
wait til they try to shoehorn it into an episode of clone wars

I'd start watching the Clone wars if the Cruisemissle Trooper showed up.

Cane_Adiss
11-01-2010, 09:03 AM
It's cool to see the Cruisemissile is getting more than just my support for an update! It would indeed be cool to see this show up in the new show, and would probably be the best way for us to see this made some day...

mtriv73
11-10-2010, 04:17 PM
Just read all the adventures of Captain Frassk (http://cruisemissiletrooper.blogspot.com/) and now I can't wait to get home and dig out my CMT and POTF R5-D4. I really need a whole fleet now so here's hoping Hasbro comes through for us.