PDA

View Full Version : New magnetic lightsabers

pthfnder89
02-25-2002, 12:02 PM
I know this is probably the most lamented "action feature" that Hasbro has implemented in the AOTC figures, but I'm wondering everyones opinion on it. Especially anyone who already has one of the figures that uses it. I have a couple of the early AOTC figs, but none of them have the magnet feature on their sabers.

Does it work at all? I can remember sooooo many figures by many companies that have tried to use this in the past, and it almost NEVER works. Ususally because the magnets they use are simply too weak. Presumably because they are cheaper.

I'm not thrilled about it, but I do appreciate the way that Hasbro has at least tried to hide the magnets on most of the figures. And one thing I really love about the whole thing is ... METAL HANDLES! This makes me really excited, and I want to compare them to the plastic handles of days past.:)

Opinions anyone?

JEDIpartner
02-25-2002, 12:55 PM
Thus far... I think the magnets are quite ugly. Magnetic features rarely live up to their expectations. The lightsaber hilts, on the other hand (no pun intended) are awesome!!! If the finished pieces look as good as the ones we've seen in the ToyFair piccies, I'll be really happy with them.

My question... so how DO they work and look?

DarthMaulSithLord
02-25-2002, 01:06 PM
Real metal handles?

*starts to drool over his keyboard*

:crazed:

Beast
02-25-2002, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
My question... so how DO they work and look?
The following reviews are from Artoosnews, and reviews the magnetic feature. It doesn't sounds to good for playability, but the hilts still look good. Here is a link to the reviews, as well as I am posting the comments about the magnetic action here. http://www.artoosnews.com/e2preview/

Anakin: The picture on the back of the card shows the pistol leap up from the storage container and into Anakinís hand . In a desperate attempt to create this very scene I came to the conclusion that the Force Action is more of a grabbing action because Anakin has to be actually touching the pistol to get it too stay on his hand. This leads to the next dilemma. Once the gun is in his hand he couldnít hold onto it to save his life! If it wasnít falling out of his hand it was hanging upside down. A lot of you are scratching your heads and asking What do you mean? Well I mean that Anakin doesnít have a grip for the gun, the magnet is suppose to do the job, and itís lacking in that aspect!

Obi-Wan:The Hilt is actaully made of metal. Very authentic looking, and I must sdmit, I was completely surprised by this. What warranted Hasbroís plastic-to-metal shift? Iím not to sure, but my guess is the "Force Action". Speaking of Force action did I mention that Obi-Wan has a magnet in his left hand to call on the force and pull the saber to his hands? Well, kinda. Again the magnet is not strong enough to pull the saber into young Benís hand, but it makes for a cool refrigerator magnet. The magnet also allows Obi-Wan to dangle from the Assassin droid, so you can recreate the chase scene that we have seen in the teaser trailers.

Kit Fisto: Kit Fisto features slashing action with his right arm that when you pull his arm back it slashes forward taking out anyone in his way. While the accessories are a little limited here, he does have FORCE ACTION! The hidden magnet in his right hand works to draw the Saber to him. Does it really work? Nope. I would have to believe that this character is to be more geared towards collectors. We see the nice metal Hilt, and not that much in the way of playability with the exception of the basic arm slash and the Force Action.

All and all, it seems the magnets are only doing a somewhat ok job of re-enacting what they were meant for, but atleast it sounds like Kit Fisto and Obi-Wan don't really suffer from the magnet inclusion on their figures as badly as Anakin does. The other reviews are cool also, the padme actually isn't sounding that bad, but I hope we do get a second, non-action non-torn version of this ouftit with her cape. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JEDIpartner
02-25-2002, 01:38 PM
Okay... I read the article and it seems that Hasbro's efforts were, indeed, wasted. the gimmicks don't really work (big surprise there!) and actually detract from the figure. Great.

Jayspawn
02-25-2002, 01:53 PM
Personaly, I could live without the magnetic lightsaber feature. I like is just fine when my figures can 'hold' their weapons.

pthfnder89
02-25-2002, 04:26 PM
Well, you guys pretty much confirmed what I assumed from the begining. I've sen this same gimmick tried literally DOZENS of times by different companies, and none of them seemed to figure out it doesn't work.

Well, I don't mind it so much as long as they don't all interfere with the rest opf the figure the way Anakins does. Those metal lightsabers are DAMN spiffy!:D

Beast
02-25-2002, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by pthfnder89
Well, I don't mind it so much as long as they don't all interfere with the rest opf the figure the way Anakins does. Those metal lightsabers are DAMN spiffy!:D
Agreed there, hopefully we have seen the end of the painted plastic Lightsabers. I am sick of the silver paint coming off into the figure's hands, especially on Vader's. Metal Sabers are a HUGE improvment to the AOTC's figures. And looking at the stuff from toy fair, it really only looks like the first wave of collection 1 will have the magnets. And none will show up in collection 2. Atleast I hope so. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

JEDIpartner
02-25-2002, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks edited

And looking at the stuff from toy fair, it really only looks like the first wave of collection 1 will have the magnets. And none will show up in collection 2. Atleast I hope so. :D

Aren't you the same guy who, in a couple other threads, said that the magnets weren't that noticeable and didn't impede any of the regular action features of the figures??? Ok, buddy... you've got me really confused!!!:confused:

Beast
02-25-2002, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
Aren't you the same guy who, in a couple other threads, said that the magnets weren't that noticeable and didn't impede any of the regular action features of the figures??? Ok, buddy... you've got me really confused!!!:confused:
I said that they weren't that noticible, yes. Do I really like them, no. Do I hope that they continue with the magnets, no. :D I don't mind the attempt to add some play features to the toys. But magnets arn't what I would have done. It's gimmicky. But on the other hand, it's not as horrible as Anakin's Extendo Saber. Now that was cool in the 70's and 80's. It's not that cool now.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

PloKoon2385
02-25-2002, 05:26 PM
If they are decent and don't make the figure look stupid, then COOL! I think they look good, it's just that I don't want the hands on the figs to be too big or have a huge silver spot on them.

LTBasker
02-25-2002, 05:49 PM
I don't get the excitement over metal handles? :confused: I prefer the plastic. If you mean the paint on the plastic coming off, it's paint, it will come off of metal too. I like the fact that if a lightsaber hilt gets bent, I can bend it back with no damage to it, especially if it bends back by itself, but metal can be crushed and bent with no real way or bending back into the same shape.

Beast
02-25-2002, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by LTBasker
I don't get the excitement over metal handles? :confused: I prefer the plastic. If you mean the paint on the plastic coming off, it's paint, it will come off of metal too. I like the fact that if a lightsaber hilt gets bent, I can bend it back with no damage to it, especially if it bends back by itself, but metal can be crushed and bent with no real way or bending back into the same shape.
They can be diecast, so they would end up more detailed then the plastic versions. Not to mention that paint sticks to metal better then it does plastic. So far from what I have seen they look way better, IMHO. More detailed and such. I guess best thing I can say is wait til you get one, and judge for yourself. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

pthfnder89
02-25-2002, 07:09 PM
That's true. I just think that the metal sabers look really good compared to the previous plastic ones. But then again, Hasbro probably won't make them metal anymore if they decide to dump the magnetic feature, so it's pretty much a catch22 to me.:frus:

Plus LTBasker, I believe the metal ones are cast in silver, so the only paint that could chip off, would be the detail colors, like the blacks.

Beast
02-25-2002, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by pthfnder89
That's true. I just think that the metal sabers look really good compared to the previous plastic ones. But then again, Hasbro probably won't make them metal anymore if they decide to dump the magnetic feature, so it's pretty much a catch22 to me.:frus:
Actually thats not entirely true. The Collection 2 Jedi figures (Plo Koon and Shaak Ti) also have metal saber hilts, but no magnet features. So hopefully that will become the new norm for Star Wars figures. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
02-25-2002, 07:33 PM
First the energy blasts on the blades and now this... I really hope the metal doesn't become standard, at this rate, we'll probably get metal figures so they force pulled to a giant magnet which is supposed to be a ship but just has stickers on it which outline the ship. :p

Beast
02-25-2002, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by LTBasker
First the energy blasts on the blades and now this... I really hope the metal doesn't become standard, at this rate, we'll probably get metal figures so they force pulled to a giant magnet which is supposed to be a ship but just has stickers on it which outline the ship. :p
Cool Idea, a metal figure of a protocal droid like C-3PO would be kinda neat, instead of vac metalling. :D He would look pretty cool, and would make a decent weapon. :evil:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

pthfnder89
02-26-2002, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks

Actually thats not entirely true. The Collection 2 Jedi figures (Plo Koon and Shaak Ti) also have metal saber hilts, but no magnet features. So hopefully that will become the new norm for Star Wars figures. :D

Jar Jar Binks

Do they? I have Shaak Ti, but I decided not to open her once I got her. I was trying to figure out if her saber was metal or not from the package, and I figured it wasn't, because the paint application on it looks terrible, and it looks very similar to the plastic ones.

If it is indeed metal, that kind of bums me out because the pictures I've seen look a lot better than this one:(:mad:

DarthMaulSithLord
02-28-2002, 10:52 AM
They probably used cheap paint.

:sur:

JetsAndHeels
02-28-2002, 10:56 AM
I have a Shaak Ti on the way. When I get it I will check out the saber to see if it is metal or not.
Hope it is, I think that is a pretty good feature.

LTBasker
02-28-2002, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by DarthMaulSithLord
They probably used cheap paint.

:sur:

You mean they wouldn't? :confused: