PDA

View Full Version : '09 NCAA Fooooootball

Bel-Cam Jos
09-06-2009, 08:29 AM
One major upset, due to a pretty important shoulder (that isn't OK in that state), but most teams that "should" have won, did.

Ohio State two-point-conversion-turnovers its way to a home win, in a nice tune up for USC next week. Pitt beats YSU in Da 'Boigh, but the Penguins do score a FG against them. Hooray!

And the good games can hopefully deflect commentary about punch-swingin' Ducks. Here's to a great year!

pbarnard
09-06-2009, 12:11 PM
2 blocked field goals, 7 seconds...and demonstration of adaptive learning (2nd block, fall on the ball). Way to go Hawkeyes.

Slicker
09-06-2009, 04:21 PM
Michigan is undefeated!!! Look out Florida here we come!!!

DarthQuack
09-07-2009, 08:08 AM
Michigan is undefeated!!! Look out Florida here we come!!!

You gotta make it past Floyd, Tate, and Clausen first next week!!!! GO IRISH!!!!

Bel-Cam Jos
09-08-2009, 06:12 PM
I'm not complaining, but I actually expected OSU to fall a little farther than 7 or 8 after squeaking one out vs. Navy. Big showdown in the home-and-home rematch vs. USC this weekend. And Pitt gets Buffalo.

DarkJedi5
09-08-2009, 06:36 PM
Conversely, I didn't expect BYU to rocket into the top 10 in the AP poll.

Darth Metalmute
09-12-2009, 10:28 PM
There's no such thing as a moral victory when you have the game and "conserve" it away. The Buckeyes need an offensive coordinator that has the guts to go for it from the 1. The coaching staff deserved this "L".

Bel-Cam Jos
09-13-2009, 08:47 AM
Maybe since they had to walk the WHOLE LENGTH OF THE FIELD since it was to be the first play of the next quarter, that's why they went for the FG. Sigh... and the weekend was going so well: Pitt had won handily, YSU took out Austin Peay, and even some upper and lower ranked teams lost to help other move up. But that last long drive by USC was nice, I have to admit. OSU just couldn't sustain drives or avoid mental mistakes.

Darth Metalmute
09-13-2009, 07:47 PM
Maybe since they had to walk the WHOLE LENGTH OF THE FIELD since it was to be the first play of the next quarter, that's why they went for the FG. Sigh... and the weekend was going so well: Pitt had won handily, YSU took out Austin Peay, and even some upper and lower ranked teams lost to help other move up. But that last long drive by USC was nice, I have to admit. OSU just couldn't sustain drives or avoid mental mistakes.

I kept on saying, "I've seen this movie before. I know how it ends."

Sure enough, same ending as Texas last year, Penn State last year, and Texas in the Horseshoe a couple of years ago.

That last drive was nice, but how they let them out of a 2-19 from the 5 I'll never know.

In a span of two hours, the Tigers (my MLB team) blew a 3 run lead, Bowling Green (local college team) blew a 20-3 lead against the 25th rank team, and OSU (my college team) lost in the last minute. Then today, my NFL team, the Broncos, blew a 6-0 lead in the final minute. Somebody out there must have felt bad for me for that tip pass to fall in Stokley's hands.

DarthQuack
09-13-2009, 09:09 PM
Damn it.....that was a heart-breaking Irish loss :(

Slicker
09-14-2009, 02:09 AM
But they lost to my now 25th ranked Wolverines! Woot!

DarkJedi5
09-14-2009, 08:17 AM
Man, what a weekend in the Pac-10! fUCLA and U$C both win but their QBs are hurtin... Prince out 3-4 weeks with a busted jaw and Barkley's got a bruised shoulder and is questionable for next week.

DarkJedi5
09-19-2009, 07:08 PM
Huskies beat SC? Let the Pac-10 race begin!

DarthQuack
09-19-2009, 07:45 PM
Go ND! Wooooo

Bel-Cam Jos
09-20-2009, 09:24 AM
Ohio St. beating another an in-state opponent? Check.
Pitt winning handily over a team that OSU squeaked by earlier? Check.
Youngstown St. winning against perhaps some other team you all haven't heard of? Check.

A good weekend, I'd say.

mtriv73
09-20-2009, 10:15 AM
You left out the best part, the Hokies coming back to win against Nebraska. Now if Tyrod Taylor would play the whole game like he did on that final drive, we might have a chance against a better than expected Miami team next week.

I never thought I'd say this, but I'm really glad FSU won.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-26-2009, 11:26 PM
There were some really good games on today, many in which I had no rooting interest.

- Ohio St. has a two-game shutout streak going, I believe.
- Pitt both shot itself in the foot and got hosed by calls. But, giving up a 2 TD lead in the 4th is their own fault.
- YSU also got a shutout; need to see if/where they're ranked in the FCS/I-AA poll.

Other game notes, from teams I care less about:
- Tebow hurt? Oh no. I am saddened by this news, from a human standpoint, but intrigued from a football point of view.
- Why did Purdue call a timeout with about 35 seconds to go and ND scrambling to spike the ball?
- Penn St, Ol Miss, FSU, and Miami are going down... the rankings levels.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-29-2009, 07:29 AM
No FCS poll yet? Wonder why...

I forgot to mention; a former student of mine, who's now a true freshman running back at a Big11Ten school, scored a TD this past weekend. Now, I just sell his papers from school with his name/signature, and then I retire. :D (but seriously, that's a cool feeling, to say 'I know that guy').

pbarnard
09-29-2009, 09:31 AM
So Iowa did what it has done this decade when it goes to Penn State (or plays them at night or just plays them)...WINS.

Ando
09-29-2009, 03:15 PM
Go Ducks! Oregon is picking up steam (43-2 over 6th ranked Cal on Saturday!) and my wife and I just got tickets to see them at home, taking on the WSU Cougars.

I LOVE College Football season!!!

Bel-Cam Jos
10-03-2009, 10:32 AM
Friday night football... for college?!? :confused: Go, Pitt!

And good luck to the Buckeyes, Chaffey Panthers, and maybe YSU today.,

Ando
10-05-2009, 10:46 AM
Oregon Ducks 52 to Washington State 6 (and I was there!).

Go Ducks!

Bel-Cam Jos
10-10-2009, 07:31 PM
OSU takes control of the Big T11en, with a strong showing against Wisconsin.

Pitt gets a last-second FG to overcome a 15-point defecit... over UCONN. Sounds great, if it's basketball.

YSU was dominant, too.

Ando
10-12-2009, 11:00 AM
Oregon 24 over UCLA 10 (memo to Ricky: "Scoreboard. Baby.")

And still undefeated in conference play.

pbarnard
10-12-2009, 11:21 AM
Iowa's defense does it yet again.

Snowtrooper
10-12-2009, 12:13 PM
Nebraska scores 27 unanswered points in the fourth quarter to defeat Mizzou 27-12 in the pouring rain. Took forever for the offense to get going, but once they did, WOW!

Bel-Cam Jos
10-17-2009, 10:09 AM
And Pitt wins AGAIN on a Friday night. How many of their games should they play on that night then? "All of them." Maybe now this'll get them in the Top 25.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-18-2009, 09:56 AM
I hear BCS rankings start after today.

The Buckeye DL who committed that 15-yard facemask penalty on a 3rd down stop must be really kicking himself. I don't blame him for losing the game, because OSU had too many chances it squandered against Purdue (aka 5 turnovers, missed scores).

Slicker
10-18-2009, 01:41 PM
Michigan trounced Delaware St. (hey, every team has an easy week!) and I just saw that Alabama took over the #1 spot from Florida after Florida eeked by. I figured that would happen and I couldn't be happier. I hate how everyone sucks Florida's fat one for some reason.

DarkJedi5
10-18-2009, 02:15 PM
The Golden Bears got back on track by rolling UCLA and winning in LA for the first time in eight years.... Roll on you Bears!

pbarnard
10-26-2009, 09:01 AM
His name is Ricky Stanzi. Deal with it people.

Ando
10-26-2009, 10:58 AM
Go DUCKS!

43 - 19 over Washington.

7-1 and #10 in the BCS.

DarthQuack
10-26-2009, 11:09 AM
Grrrrrr, I didn't like seeing Boise St. drop FOUR spots....glad to see TCU up there as well.

DarkJedi5
10-26-2009, 12:43 PM
Bears have finally clawed their way back into the top 25 and with ASU, OSU, UofA, UW, and $tanfurd still to come Cal could end up with a pretty decent record.

Snowtrooper
10-26-2009, 03:21 PM
Nebraska really stunk this week, losing to Iowa State 9-7. Its a game that we had plenty of opportunites to run away with it, but when you turn the ball over 8 times, you're gonna to lose. Its very frustrating. We have a top notch defense, but the offense just seems to be regressing.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-26-2009, 06:59 PM
For a birthday gift, "I" :rolleyes: got wins from Ohio St., Pitt (alas, no YSU win :( ), and the Steelers in the pro ranks. Pitt leaps to #15 in the BCS, while OSU's close behind at #17.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-31-2009, 05:42 PM
OSU thumped a help-your-university-monetarally NM St.
team.

Two teams took the lead at the 11:38 mark in their games today... including your Hawkeyes, pbarnard.

pbarnard
10-31-2009, 08:32 PM
2 more wins, and no matter what, Big Ten Co-Champions...for this week only, Hawkeyes are Penn State too!!!

And yeah, rather be lucky than good.

Ando
11-02-2009, 10:54 AM
Oregon 47 - USC 20.

Oregon is definitely in the PAC 10 driver's seat now. Helluva game!!!

Bel-Cam Jos
11-21-2009, 10:54 PM
If they aren't too expensive, I may look into Rose Bowl tickets for Ohio St. vs. [insert Pac 10 team here]. Unless the following happens, and they end up playing Pitt in the Nat'l Title Bowl:

ALA loses to AUB
FLA loses to ALA in SEC game [badly]
TCU and Boise St. lose once
TEX loses to A&M and NEB
PITT beats CIN and WV
Oh, and GA Tech loses to GA and Clemson; while OR loses to OR St. and UCLA beats USC

Maybe? ;)

Darth Metalmute
11-23-2009, 08:51 AM
You say that now, but a couple of years ago when OSU lost to Illinois and everyone said thst loss would keep them out of the BCS game, I said, if Oregon loses to Arizona, Oklahoma loses to Texas Tech, Pittsburgh beats West Virginia, and Missouri beats Kansas and then lose to Oklahoma, OSU would be in the BCS.

Somehow, all the happened. So it's not out of the question.

pbarnard
11-23-2009, 09:17 AM
If not for the baby, my wife and I might have bought Capitol One/Orange Bowl tickets. Yep, Miami would like a 2 loss team that would have an additional 8k people outside the stadium wanting to get in from here in addition to the 40k+ that will be inside.

Ando
11-23-2009, 10:41 AM
If they aren't too expensive, I may look into Rose Bowl tickets for Ohio St. vs. [insert Pac 10 team here]. Unless the following happens, and they end up playing Pitt in the Nat'l Title Bowl:

Looks like Ohio State will be playing Oregon or Oregon State in the Rose Bowl.

For the first time EVER, the Civil War game will be a Top 25/Top 25 match up that decides a Rose Bowl berth AND conference champion. Both teams have come a long way from 1983's "Toilet Bowl". 4 quarters in driving rain, ending in a scoreless tie!

GO DUCKS!

Snowtrooper
11-23-2009, 11:16 PM
Nebraska beats K-State 17-3 with another dominating performance by the Blackshirts and a fair performance by the offense. With the win, we clinch the Big 12 north and face Texas in the championship game. Most likely, we'll get our *** kicked, unless the offense has their best game of the year

Bel-Cam Jos
11-28-2009, 10:52 AM
Backyard Brawl goes the way it did a couple years back: higher ranked team with BCS ambitions gets taken down a peg. It was close, but poor 3rd-down conversions and turnovers will kill yuns guys everytime. :( Beat Cincy next week, Pitt, and you get a BC$ bowl somewhere.

JimJamBonds
12-01-2009, 05:53 PM
Grandpa Bobby retired today, I can't believe it happened. I wonder how much longer JoPa will last?

pbarnard
12-01-2009, 06:11 PM
Grandpa Bobby retired today, I can't believe it happened. I wonder how much longer JoPa will last?

well one stopped winning. when the other stops winning (again) it will be his time.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-23-2009, 12:44 PM
I won't count anything before it's hatched, but I may be The Grandchild of Them All come January 1st... :fingerscrossed: :yes:

Bel-Cam Jos
12-24-2009, 03:18 PM
Looks like Ohio State will be playing Oregon or Oregon State in the Rose Bowl.And, I shall be there to see the Buckeyes squeak one out over Oregon 17-14 on New Year's 2010. Bucks over Ducks! I'm in the end zone, but only 14 rows up.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-26-2009, 10:51 PM
Now that Pitt won the Meinke Car Care Bowl over NC, I gots to gets me one of those t-shirts. :D

Urban Meyer news will be big, with him stepping down due to health issues.

Still can't wait for the Rose Bowl in a week. :frus:

JimJamBonds
12-27-2009, 10:06 AM
Urban Meyer news will be big, with him stepping down due to health issues.

Yeah I was shocked to hear that!!!! I bet he'll be back somewhere in less then 5 years.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-27-2009, 03:26 PM
ESPN News says his press conference today will be him taking a 1-year leave of absence.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-01-2010, 09:27 AM
Went to the Buckeye Bash outdoor pep rally at the Santa Monica Pier yesterday. The "1000 pictures in 60 seconds" recaps of various '09 games was quite cool. Heard Jim Tressel, Archie Griffin, Joe Germaine, the college president, and other OSU people speak. Also got smooshed while in line for Ohio St. stuff. Cannot wait to get stuck in Pasadena traffic on the way to The Game today! :frus: Or, I mean I can't wait for the game itself. :rolleyes: Go Bucks! :thumbsup:

[edit] Here are some pics at the event. Look at how the fans went all along the pier. Brutus the Buckeye leads the Best D@mn Band in the Land! CA sunsets are among the best in the world (that's the SM Pier Ferris wheel in the back).

Snowtrooper
01-01-2010, 10:54 AM
Nebraska beat Arizona 33-0 in the Holiday bowl. It was the first shutout in Holiday bowl history and the first shutout in a bowl for Nebraska in its 48 appearances. The blackshirts dominated like usual, holding Arizona to 37 total yards before the starters were pulled. The offense actually showed up and played well against a good defense. I was really worried how the offense would do, but they had a good day.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-01-2010, 10:56 PM
I had an AWESOME time at the Rose Bowl today. An apparently wrong turn off the freeway turned into a faster access to the parking lot entrance (if you ignore the crawling speed at actually entering the lot itself). Seats were great, weather was perfect, fans around the seats (even the Ducks) were polite and enthusiastic, and obviously the outcome was the best part! Here are some pics, several at the magic 11:38 mark (the TD in the 1st quarter was at that time, but they let another second run off, so the picture shows their "correct" mark). Gotta love those nachos!

TeeEye7
01-01-2010, 11:10 PM
Nice photos....complete with red Chuck Taylor's for the occasion! ;)

pbarnard
01-06-2010, 09:35 AM
Well I was right and wrong in the New Contest thread. I was right in that Iowa was the only defense in the country that could possibly shut down Georgia Tech's offense. All but 1 drive they were going backwards. Ricki Stanzi was his usual self, 2 TDs to Iowa, 1 to GT...but Iowa's offensive line showed up when it mattered.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-06-2010, 07:01 PM
Big T1e1n is doing well in the big bowl games for a change (OSU, Iowa, Penn St.). And I can brag with my 2009 Meineke Car Care Bowl Pitt t-shirt, too! :yes:

mtriv73
01-08-2010, 10:49 AM
Today is the saddest day of the year. No more real college football until August/September.

pbarnard
01-08-2010, 10:50 AM
Do you count the college all star games? Senior Bowl etc?

mtriv73
01-08-2010, 11:35 AM
Do you count the college all star games? Senior Bowl etc?

Not really, that's why I said "real."

pbarnard
01-08-2010, 11:40 AM
There's spring games that ESPN will have hard ons for any of the SEC teams that I'm supposed to care about but never have.

Eventually, the Big 11 Network (working hard on getting Pitt to join so they still won't change their name) will show everything from around here.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-11-2010, 11:00 PM
Why do American students struggle with math and geography?

- The Pac-10 now has 11 teams, adding one from the Mountain time zone.
- The Big Ten, which had 11 teams, now adds #12, from a conference called the Big XII, which now only has 10 teams (and could have 5 less than that, too).
- Kansas and Kansas St. may join the Mountain West Conference, without having real mountains in the state, nor being in the west.

Maradona
06-11-2010, 11:22 PM
I read somewhere that the Big 12's Texas teams were possibly joining the Pac-10 also.

Snowtrooper
06-12-2010, 12:43 AM
I'd say the Texas teams joining the Pac-10 is a very high possibility. With Nebraska and Colorado gone now, its too much of a blow for the conference to take. The Big 12 commish has said he wants to keep the conference together, but he's just paying lip service right now. He knows the gig is up.

Its too bad that Nebraska left a conference its been in for over 80 yrs, but I can sure understand their reasoning for making the move. I'll miss playing the all those Big 12 schools, especially Oklahoma. But there are new foes to look forward to tangling with. I hope we can have an Oklahoma type rivalry with one of the Big 10 schools. Ohio State maybe?

Bel-Cam Jos
06-12-2010, 10:04 AM
This just seems like the Big XII is selling off its SW collection, with other conferences picking the best items. Does that make Baylor a Malakili figure on a green card?

Pac-10+ takes Colorado, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech.
Big Ten/11/12 takes Nebraska, perhaps even Oklahoma or OK St.
Mountain West takes Kansas and K St.
Baylor, Missouri, and the 12th team I can't recall right now post their lot auction with a $.99 starting bid. :(

If these scenarios go down, that basically leaves Pac-10, Big Ten*, ACC, Big East, SEC, and Mountain West or WAC as the possible BCS conferences. Unless... they ditch the BCS now! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I can dream, can't I? :rolleyes:

And they all seem to be taking effect in 2011, so there'll be a farewell tour this year.

Darth Metalmute
06-12-2010, 10:30 AM
Missouri and Kansas will end up in the Big Ten. It makes too much logistical sense. Notre Dame will eventually join the Big Ten, and my guess is they will do it on their hands and knees, i.e. crawling.

There are several teams on the East coast that will also join the Big Ten, Rutgers being one of them.

Florida State and Miami will end up in the SEC. My guess is, as of now, Oklahoma State will join them. The problem is Oklahoma wants to stay with Texas and Ok. State.

I doubt we will see the end of the BCS anytime soon. But 4 super coferences will be the end of the NCAA organization.

Snowtrooper
06-12-2010, 01:12 PM
The Big 12 never had that "togetherness" that other conferences like the SEC and Big 10 have had. As a result, animosity has built up over the years until it has finally come to a boil. They sure made a big deal about how great the Big 12 was going to be when it formed, but as this situation shows, bigger is not necessarily better.