PDA

View Full Version : Why we need a new AT-AT

Old Fossil
09-06-2009, 07:00 PM
1. The POTF2 versions are old and rickety, and massively undersized. A newly-tooled AT-AT need not be too much bigger, just a sturdier redesign a la the new Wal-Mart exclusive AT-ST.

2. The AT-AT is an iconic vehicle in the SW saga that appeared in two films and at least 1 comic... so it has wide recognition.

3. It's the 30th anniversary of The Empire Strikes Back. What better way to celebrate than to redo what was probably the most memorable vehicle from that film?

4. You've chosen to resculpt and redesign the AT-AT Driver. What better way to drive sales of that figure than to release a new AT-AT for it to man? Pack-in a General Veers, and possibly either a Driver or a Snowtrooper (one of the best-selling OT troopers to date), and you have a winner!

Remake the AT-AT, Hasbro, with the same love and attention to detail you gave to the new Millenium Falcon from last year!

Maradona
09-06-2009, 07:46 PM
I suspect a new one is in the cards for next year. It is clearly the most iconic vehicle introduced in Empire.

Devo
09-07-2009, 10:03 AM
While I would no doubt buy this it would be quite an awkward one to display, being possibly bigger than the old one, and it would pretty much make my POTF2 one useless beyond sentimental/ toy historical value so I'd regret these facts. I'm sure the incredible new detail and features would make up for it.

I'm more about my echo base diorama though moreso than the hoth plains battlefield. Not enough diversity there.

morpheus282
09-07-2009, 12:23 PM
I'm all for a new AT-AT. I don't think it would take too many changes from the POTF mold to make it an outstanding toy.

Scale down the guns on the sides of the head - they were just a little too big.
Make the body about 1.5 to 2x the size of the old mold.
Add about 6" to the length of the legs and make the feet a little bigger.
I'm sure Hasbro will make it a heck of a lot more spectacular than that, but I'd be in for at least one for me and one for my kid - possibly more depending on the price point.

Mad Slanted Powers
09-07-2009, 02:05 PM
The best reason to remake it is I don't have one. I only have the Titanium and Action Fleet versions. I no longer have a TRU near me, so I didn't get the TSC Endor version, but I'd want a Hoth version anyway.

bigbarada
09-07-2009, 07:18 PM
I don't own the current AT-AT toy because I've never been too happy with how misproportioned it is in comparison to the onscreen version. I'm not so worried about the size, but I'm not too happy with the elongated and oversized head.

I would agree that a new one doesn't need to be too much bigger than the current toy, but it needs to look more like the onscreen version for sure.

Darkross
09-07-2009, 08:26 PM
I'd buy two of them, if they were released. I am more than half expecting to see them by Toy Fair 2010. They'd be huge, and so is the BMF Falcon, I am half debating whether or not to buy another. Waiting for the AT-ST which I am hoping to get two of these also.

DarkArtist
09-13-2009, 05:24 PM
i'd be all for a new AT-AT.. it's my favorite vehicle from the OT and is long overdo for redo and would make a great large vehicle to introduce as the Holiday 2010 toy.

JediTricks
09-15-2009, 04:08 PM
I'd be down for an all-new AT-AT, but not a retool of the vintage we keep getting, that tool is kinda boring and, as mentioned, rickety. It'd need to be wider and have stronger legs and a more accurate head. I don't want the head to flop about, it should be on ratcheting hinges instead of a gimmick puppet thing (not that it isn't a cool concept on the vintage, but we have that now). The main body should have more of a playset-style interior and store a speederbike (which, heck, it should come with! :D).

If they can do the Clone Turdo Tank, a design passed up in the late '70s for an excellent reason, surely they could do justice to the AT-AT.

Blue2th
09-15-2009, 05:12 PM
You know if they make one which I hope they do, they're going to have to update General you know who. ;)

I'd still keep my Hoth one for nostalgia. It's gotta lotta cool features. Some the Endor one doesn't. I sold that one.

Seems like a logical progression after that AT-ST we're getting. Too bad we haven't seen one in Clone Wars yet. I'd much rather buy a new AT-AT then the Turbo Tank which I don't think I'll ever get cause it just looks so wonky.

Old Fossil
09-15-2009, 09:03 PM
If they were really clever they could design it with a pop-open hatch on the underbelly.

JediTricks
09-17-2009, 04:56 PM
You know if they make one which I hope they do, they're going to have to update General you know who. ;)I don't really feel that way, Veers isn't their greatest figure but in terms of what it'd need to do in the AT-AT, it hits the mark (unless you are looking at his back :p). This close to the last release, I don't think I'd bother buying another Veers figure, he's just not important enough to justify a second purchase. If the AT-AT came with him however... ;)

Seems like a logical progression after that AT-ST we're getting. Too bad we haven't seen one in Clone Wars yet. I'd much rather buy a new AT-AT then the Turbo Tank which I don't think I'll ever get cause it just looks so wonky.Agreed!

If they were really clever they could design it with a pop-open hatch on the underbelly.Oh hells yeah!!! See, that's my weakness, you start going there and then I want lights and explosion sounds, I'm going to get greedy fast. :p

LTBasker
09-17-2009, 07:06 PM
What about a large wooden disc to mount on top so it can be used for a bedside table? :D

I'd love to see a new AT-AT, especially since the old sculpt doesn't really make decent use of the space that appears to be available inside of it.

Ando
09-17-2009, 07:19 PM
^ All good ideas from everyone who posted before me on this. I hope they do retool this toy and give it the same treatment as the Falcon in time for the 30th anniversary of the greatest SW movie of all time.

And if it helps encourage Hasbro to continue making the large vehicles (which have all been excellent IMO), then put me down for 2.

Blue2th
09-17-2009, 07:54 PM
I don't really feel that way, Veers isn't their greatest figure but in terms of what it'd need to do in the AT-AT, it hits the mark (unless you are looking at his back :p). This close to the last release, I don't think I'd bother buying another Veers figure, he's just not important enough to justify a second purchase. If the AT-AT came with him however... ;)

That would be cool, and a logical choice with a new AT-AT Driver. Two figures just like the Endor one.

I tried to make my own super articulated Veers with the new Captain Needa figure, put Veers head (or Quentin's) on it, because the uniform is the same except for his bulging pants, but the ball joint for the head is a smaller size..doh Hasbro! :(

JediTricks
09-17-2009, 08:12 PM
That would be cool, and a logical choice with a new AT-AT Driver. Two figures just like the Endor one.Yeah, but that is expensive and kills future sales of the basic figure, so it's a mixed bag, there are benefits and drawbacks. I'd take a new AT-AT with no figures if it meant selling it SOON.

I tried to make my own super articulated Veers with the new Captain Needa figure, put Veers head (or Quentin's) on it, because the uniform is the same except for his bulging pants, but the ball joint for the head is a smaller size..doh Hasbro! :(Yeah, Hasbro needs to get on their factories (they are independent contracted factories in China, not owned by Hasbro) to finally get this down pat, instead of doing it willy-nilly the way they have been. Hasbro knows though, they've been told over and over in Q&A and explained why. Sometimes it's like Hasbro isn't really as vital to the toys as we think, like they're on the lesser end of these products, but I know that's not the case, it's just that sometimes the tail does wag the dog.