PDA

View Full Version : Would You Buy Jabba The Hutt's Sailbarge Vehicle?

Tycho
09-08-2009, 12:13 AM
I'm going to start a new thread series.

This will discuss ONLY the vehicle in the title of the thread (in this case Jabba's Sailbarge from ROTJ).

I will cover several unmade vehicles for the action figures per week, choosing them from a rotating schedule through the movies and the Expanded Universe (I guess - we'll see how that goes).

I'll order it TPM, AOTC, ROTS, ANH, ESB, ROTJ, EU, and then keep going back through the order in that manner.

So here I'm only asking you if you'd buy Jabba's Sailbarge from The Return of the Jedi.

I envision this vehicle for the $150 price range. It would hold the largest variety of action figures that could ever be assembled together on one vehicle toy, what with all the crazy aliens from Skiff Guards to Jabba himself, and Amanaman, Herme Odel, Bib Fortuna, as well as Boba Fett.

The Sailbarge would be probably 1/3 larger than the TurboTank, NOT accounting for the sails. This vehicle would be more akin to the large Millennium Falcon rather than the prequel walkers / transports. I would have a pivot pin in its dead center, that the entire barge could "crack apart" from and then you could bend it in such a way to split every deck in the center, thus simulating its destruction.

There would have to be a cockpit in the thing (in the front according to the cross-sections book) as the barge is piloted by a live crew (well they're alive so long as they please Jabba anyway). Jabba's throne is in the rear of the vessel.

The windows would open, as well as hatchways with cannons that would fire plastic missiles for the kids. This would give it the pirate ship affect that Zizzle's Pirates of the Caribbean toyline's Black Pearl ship had. Additionally, the sailbarge's main cannon could be provided re-using the parts that came with Deluxe Slave Leia and the Han Carbonite's figure that was included in a skiff guard battlepack before. Clip on rail cannons, such as the one being issued with the forth-coming Nikto would be included as well.

Perhaps a hatch that opens which launches a swoop bike or two (similarly to the TurboTank) would also be welcome. The expanded universe and the cross-sections suggest the barge really has a small vehicle bay and such bikes are aboard it - Dengar having escaped on one only to rescue Boba Fett later, after the Rebels had departed the scene of the battle.

So do you want Jabba's Sailbarge made? For about the $150 price range?

What other features would you want on it?

Why would you NOT want it?

How do you think it would sell if produced?

djsosharp
09-08-2009, 12:51 AM
Well, I'm cheap. The features you described sound pretty cool, but I'd only buy it on clearance for $100 or less.

Blue2th
09-08-2009, 06:59 AM
Yes I would. I would buy this more than any other vehicle Hasbro may choose to make.

It would have an opening chamber for Jabba's sitting area. Definitely have a place for the cannon, which would be included, or they could use Leia's one from the POTJ release.

Put an exclusive obscure figure from the movie with a well known one, that might help it sell.

Electronic sounds of Jabba's voice and other voices like C-3PO from the scene, and Han's replies.

I think with enough play features for kids it would do well. The Black Pearl proved that.

I like the idea of a Swoop Bike chamber with Dengar.

Darth Jax
09-08-2009, 07:56 AM
i'd probably buy it, but might get sticker shock. large vehicles are awesome, but space for them is rapidly becoming an issue for me.

i don't think hasbro will make this one, because it's too focused on the collector market. the size of it will diminish it's play value for a kid. basically it would be a "vehicle" shaped playset. the addition of swoop bikes and cannon accessories is a necessity for the play feature

pbarnard
09-08-2009, 08:03 AM
I guess the make or break feature for me is will it allow swinging on cables from the top deck? Despite the movie getting the physics all wrong, that is a very desirable feature.

The problem is the Sail Barge suffers from being boring. Outside of the main cannon, it really is just a series of display shelves. I holds a bunch of figures, doesn't do much beyond just sit there. The "action" takes place on and in the barge, not because of the barge. Replace Sail Barge with building or docking bay or any other variety of exotic locals in Star Wars. You could have essentially the same sequence.

In the end, would I get it? sure, but not till it's heavily discounted.

vger
09-08-2009, 08:09 AM
I wouldn't get it. I didn't like the Sail Barge enough for it to take up so much room in my collection.

I like the features you've described, Tycho, and I would enjoy looking at the dioramas people created with the vehicle.

DarkJedi5
09-08-2009, 08:29 AM
So do you want Jabba's Sailbarge made? For about the $150 price range?
Heck yes! $150 sounds about right and if it was as cool as the Falcon then it wouldn't be any problem.

What other features would you want on it?
I'm actually not too crazy about the idea of it being able to split apart. I think to access the interior a removable panel like the BMF would be much better. The "exploding" decks idea is an interesting one but I think I'd have to see it before I fell in love with it. Another feature it would have to have is missiles, missiles everywhere! In fact since there are gun-ports all around so why not make all the ones on the bottom missile launchers? Also, this badboy has to be able to move so I say put it on some clear plastic Turbo Tank Style wheels to give it the look that it's floating.

Why would you NOT want it?
If the size was just too small to do what I want with it or if the price tag got out of control (like if it were a TRU exclusive and was $250 instead of the MSRP of $150).

How do you think it would sell if produced?
I figured it would sell pretty well, but the feedback here has been less than stellar. It seems a lot of people wouldn't buy this at full price which sucks cause it just proves Hasbro right. If this one came out and didn't sell it would jeopardize the rest of the line. Shame on you for trying to kill the Star Wars line by not buying the Sailbarge!

mtriv73
09-08-2009, 08:38 AM
Every time I say I'm not going to buy something, I end up finding it on too good a sale to pass up (Clone turbo tank and AT-TE) or just buying it in some sort of knee jerk reaction like I did witht he Clone Wars Y-wing yesterday.

So yes, if they make it, I'd probably buy it no matter what the cost.

I honestly hope they don't make it though to keep me from buying it.

There is no way it could be done to a scale sufficient to do it justice (although something just a little bit larger than an at-te would probably do. It wouldn't be much more than a glorified diorama piece unless you could mash a button and have pieces blow off all over the place (that would be cool.) Crud, I've actually talked myself into it with the last couple of sentences. Well, I wanted to put an addition on the house anyway...

Darth Metalmute
09-08-2009, 08:57 AM
It would have to be of real great quality for me to get it and I don't think they could make a Sail Barge that would be worth while for 150 dollars. The great part about the Falcon was that it has plenty of play value inside. For a realistic Sail Barge, the ship would have to be 3 foot long, 18 inches high and 18 inches wide at a minimum. Include the sails and that by itself would be around 150 dollars without electronics or any other features. It would basically be a hard plastic ship with shelves inside like pbarnard said. In order to make the ship purchaseable, it would need an inside area with tables and action features. This could run the price upward to 2 to 3 hundred dollars. The answer would be to make it a dollhouse, so to speak. Sell the ship itself, then sell battle packs with features that can connect to the ship. You can have a battle pack of the main turret, a battle pack with attachable turrets, a dias battle pack, speeder bike hanger pack, bar battle pack, etc.....

As for features, I think a pivot point would decrease the stablilty of a ship this size. However, the barge would need to open up. I would think hinges at the two-third points to open it up, where Jabba's throne end would stay and the front half would open up down the middle. Add a pop up floor to connect the ends. I would at least want two floors on it but I would believe that would look cramped.

Cane_Adiss
09-08-2009, 09:01 AM
Absolutely, this would be one of the holy grails of my collection!

Devo
09-08-2009, 09:06 AM
YES YES YES, haven't even read the thread but YES.

bigbarada
09-08-2009, 10:18 AM
Yes, I would buy it, but I'm not sure I'm too thrilled with the idea of it launching swoop bikes. Maybe if it just had a docking bay for the vintage Sail Skiff (which would be included of course) or two Sand Skimmers.

TheDarthVader
09-08-2009, 10:33 AM
Hell yes. I would lay down $200 for a sail barge. People would goo goo and ga ga over it. I could set up a bad *** diorama with it with a bunch of jabba's palace thugs. I would pick this up and open it and play with it for hours on end.

DarkArtist
09-08-2009, 10:45 AM
all depends on the pricetag and the features, and extras included.. i would love it if they included a vintage Jabba's dias (that was removable of course) as well as SA sculpts of some Skiff Guards, maybe a new designed Jabba, and of course exploding features perhaps..... maybe also included a decent redone Lightsaber launching R2 (that maybe only houses the lightsaber hilt)

El Chuxter
09-08-2009, 10:56 AM
As long as the quality is comparable to the BMF Falcon (which I didn't get since I've alread got the other one, but was freaking awesome and I would've gotten if it was clearanced out for cheap enough), absolutely. No question. The only stumbling block would be if it was clearly not a $150 toy (and Hasbro has put out many vehicles that aren't worth the price, though they seem better about packing quality into the pricey vehicles).

Devo
09-08-2009, 11:45 AM
all depends on the pricetag and the features, and extras included.. i would love it if they included a vintage Jabba's dias (that was removable of course) as well as SA sculpts of some Skiff Guards, maybe a new designed Jabba, and of course exploding features perhaps..... maybe also included a decent redone Lightsaber launching R2 (that maybe only houses the lightsaber hilt)

OK no way they could include all of those figures and Jabba on top of the the cost of making such a large new vehicle. Surely some of you guys have expectations beyond what is likely or possible for the current large vehicle pricepoints.

djsosharp
09-08-2009, 11:50 AM
On the contrary we are entitled to all these features as well as a guaranteed 1 pound nugget of gold hidden somewhere within the barge. All for $99.99.

pbarnard
09-08-2009, 11:51 AM
OK no way they could include all of those figures and Jabba on top of the the cost of making such a large new vehicle. Surely some of you guys have expectations beyond what is likely or possible for the current large vehicle pricepoints.

That's my problem with most of these. If they made the way described, either it would be so packed that there wouldn't be any room for anything, and it would look bad, or be so priced beyond reality that Warren Buffet would hesitate before purchasing.

Droid
09-08-2009, 11:57 AM
Probably. I would rather that it didn't have any interior play value in exchange for the exterior being done well. I would be really OK with it being scaled down. I wouldn't want it to be any bigger than whatever is already the currently biggest Star Wars vehicle ever made (AT-AT? AT-TE?, Turbo Tank, Queen's starship?)

It is probably the only vehicle they have never made that I would still get.

bigbarada
09-08-2009, 12:37 PM

Well, it would have to have to actually float 2 inches above my tabletop. I don't care if that's impossible with current technology, Hasbro better figure it out if they want my $150.

:D

RoonStones
09-08-2009, 12:49 PM
As long as its decent quality and maybe comes with a fig or two, then yes. Dear. God. Yes.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-08-2009, 06:00 PM
Yes, I'd get it, and I'd be really excited about it, too. Maybe in 2013 for ROTJ's 30th anniversary, or maybe it will make another appearance in TCW (after its too-short appearance in the film) and get enough screentime for Hasbro to consider it.

The only major requirement I'd want for it would be to be able to hold Jabba and a few of his goons inside, as well as have space on top for Luke to go on his killing spree. They could do this with a removable panel like on the BMF, as someone said. The inside would have to be only slightly taller than Jabba or a basic figure, and I guess that could be the bulk of it. Anything else would just be gravy. I think it could be in the $100 range, with a fair amount of empty space inside.

morpheus282
09-08-2009, 06:32 PM
I think it could be made for about $150 with the following features and be an amazing vehicle/playset.

About 1.5 times the size of the black pearl, maybe a little smaller depending on how the scale works out.
Two levels - one interior and top deck
Jabba's throne (built in or removable)
Pilot's room
Top deck has break-away rails and/or figure launchers
Rope for Luke & Leia to swing to safety
Maybe some electronics with a couple of sound effects, nothing as extravagant as the BMF
R2 w/ launching saber hilt would be great but in the end it's just icing
I don't see why that couldn't be made for $100 - $150. :D

Snowtrooper
09-08-2009, 07:23 PM
I would definitely buy it as long as it wasn't massively undersized. I'd be willing to pay $100-$150 for it. For that they ought to be able to add some nifty features.

I like the idea of having figure launchers and break away rails built into it. It'd be a fun feature for both collectors and kids.

I think its memorable enough to sell pretty well on its own, especially if Hasbro puts the detail into it like they did with the BMF. If it would be tied in with Clone Wars or the 30th anniversary of ROTJ, it'd be that much better.

The only reason I wouldn't get it would be if Hasbro goes the el cheapo route with it.

Old Fossil
09-08-2009, 07:25 PM
No, I would not buy it, but I would like to see it made to make all youse guys happy.:D

Tycho
09-10-2009, 03:35 PM
The Sailbarge is my most-wanted vehicle. I'd go $300 for this if I had to.

It'd be a one-time only purchase as it were.

But I really have to have one. I'll be spending a lot more than $300 to custom-make one if I have to.

Blue2th
09-10-2009, 05:45 PM
Some guy made one:

Blue2th
09-10-2009, 05:48 PM
Here's other views, and how he made it over at POTF2

http://www.potf2.com/potj/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2461

Darth Metalmute
09-10-2009, 08:46 PM
That's exactly what it needs to look like (with a better railing) for 150 dollars for me to get it. I just can't see it at that price. And for me, it's just not that important of a vehicle for me to get at 200-300 dollars. Sure it's iconic, but I would rather have a bigger AT-AT, a bigger Slave I, and a bigger Imperial Shuttle (now that we can get 4 figures in the Falcon cockpit, can we get 4 figures into the Imperial Shuttle cockpit) than pay that much for the Sail Barge.

But if they can pull it off, with great detail, for 150 dollars, I would get it. Then again, I'm still waiting to get my BMF Falcon.

Qui-Long Gone
09-10-2009, 10:21 PM
Some guy made one:

Some guy made a fine vehicle! :thumbsup:

bigbarada
09-10-2009, 10:53 PM
Those pictures really just highlight how horribly undersized the current Skiff toy is.

That Sail Barge is pretty sweet for the most part.

morpheus282
09-11-2009, 08:03 PM
You should be able to tell that the skiff is undersized based on the fact that it can't hold more than four figures without looking like a clown car.

Obsession is Nute
09-11-2009, 10:53 PM
Absolutely. One of the few "super vehicles" I would buy.

Tycho
09-23-2009, 01:33 AM
As usual, Jabba's Sailbarge, and rightly so, takes the crown as the most-wanted-vehicle-yet-to-be-made!

21 votes "Yes"
2 votes "No"

The standings:

Jabba's Sailbarge
Twin Pod Cloud Car
Dooku's Solar Sailor
Gungan Bongo Submarine
Rebel Blockade Runner Tantive IV
Droid Gunship

TheDarthVader
09-23-2009, 12:29 PM
How am I not surprised at all that Jabba's sail barge is the most wanted vehicle among the collecting community here at SSG? I mean, even the two people that said "no" would probably buy it if they saw it in person. :D

pbarnard
09-23-2009, 12:41 PM
How am I not surprised at all that Jabba's sail barge is the most wanted vehicle among the collecting community here at SSG? I mean, even the two people that said "no" would probably buy it if they saw it in person. :D

I think I said that in my post exactly...I'd wait 1-2 years till it gets to be on sale at TRU, if still in business. I mean I waited until the BMF dropped to $70 there and finally picked one up Labor Day. Patience, for the collector it is not always time to buy. :pleased:

Tycho
09-23-2009, 12:52 PM
I am for paying full-price - if it is worth it. This will encourage retailers to buy more "ultimate size" vehicles from Hasbro, who will then have the revenue expectations that they need to offer them in the first place.

The Clone Wars Y-wing was another story however: it's clearly a $30 vehicle offered in a $70 price bracket. I bought it, but it remains unopened so I might return one with a receipt should there be a sale. Adding insult: the Republic Gunship, originally available for somewhere between $30-50, is running at $70.

There's no question that a Sailbarge is up there in the $100 range or higher if done right. The BMF, AT-TE, and TurboTank were all worth their full price.

One can of course do what I did: buy a vehicle (like I bought the Y-wing) at full price, and then wait to open it (here is where you really need patience if it is a store exclusive or something and you don't want to affect the box so you can return it if necessary). Then once you have it and retailers are ordering more, you can pick it up at the sale price up to 3 months later.

IIRC, the Naboo Royal Starship went from $100 to $50 in about the 3 month time frame.

You can also re-purchase the vehicle at full price at the 85th day of your return priviledge to "refresh your receipt" and then return the first one, just to give you an extra 3 months.

The AT-TE came out in July 08, so you could return it for $100 until Oct 08. But you could buy another for full-price in October, returning the July one, and have time for the after-Christmas sales in January and February.

Then of course, in January, you could have bought yourself an extension until May 09, and another one until August.

That's 4 transactions. And how inconvenient is it when you make so many more toy runs to the same stores during the course of the year?

Old Fossil
09-23-2009, 02:24 PM

"Most wanted" does not translate into "must buy." This has been proved time and again. We in the collecting community are notoriously poor in our commitment to "if you make it, Hasbro, we will buy it," despite plaintive online "Dear Hasbro" letters suggesting otherwise.

If you count me as one of those 2, you'd be mistaken in your prediction. I'd never buy it. Further, I believe that many who say they would buy it probably would not. I have nothing against the sail barge, really; but I've hardened my stance somewhat, and am just against seeing it made into a plastic toy.

The sailbarge remains a bad choice for Hasbro to commit to. For all the love shown to this vehicle on these boards, it remains obscure to the public. Its few minutes of screen time pale in comparison to that of the Millenium Falcon. Everybody knows the Falcon, even casual fans; it has more screen time than any other ship in the saga. It is seen in multiple environments and (as the BMF shows) offers several different features for interactive play. (The sail barge offers a fraction thereof: a plank and some guns. Wow.) And yet, the BMF didn't exactly "fly" off the shelves at $150. I bought one the first time I saw one, for $160, but it definitely was not an impulse buy. I had to budget for it. Many here freely admit waiting for clearance prices on it instead, or playing a kind of bait-and-switch with store sales over the course of months(see Tycho's post above). After seeing that, I can't imagine the sail barge selling through at regular price.

No retailer in their right mind would (or should) carry it, not when the BMF can still be found on some store shelves over a year later; not when consumer spending is plummeting; not when collectors -- the target group for such an item -- have shown themselves such an unreliable market.

Sure, y'all go on ahead and dream. Just know it's an exercise in futility.

darthbooger
09-23-2009, 11:14 PM
About the only thing that would keep me from buying the sail barge (outside of the upcoming nuclear holocaust) is that the quality would be as poor as the PIT playset for the G.I Joe line. :D

Droid
09-24-2009, 10:20 AM
If it was as big as that awesome custom I'd have to pass. I would have nowhere to display it. They'll never make a vehicle that is too big for a child to pick up.

I'd rather it was underscaled and no bigger than the AT-AT, AT-TE, Turbo Tank, or Queen's Starship (generally speaking).

pbarnard
09-24-2009, 10:36 AM
If it was as big as that awesome custom I'd have to pass. I would have nowhere to display it. They'll never make a vehicle that is too big for a child to pick up.

I'd rather it was underscaled and no bigger than the AT-AT, AT-TE, Turbo Tank, or Queen's Starship (generally speaking).

So a child, say 5-7 can easily pick up and move around a BMF???

Yes, no matter what it will be underscaled, but the degree to which it is always the trade off.

Blue2th
09-24-2009, 10:37 AM
The Millennium Falcon is already too big and heavy for a normal sized child to pick up.
It's bigger than the box it comes in because of the front horn sections on it after assembly.

The Black Pearl pirate ship is almost too big to pick up. That's probably the size they would have to go with, though I would hope just a little bit bigger and longer. The sails wouldn't have to be as tall as the BP of course.
The bigger the better.

IG 8D8
10-01-2009, 09:02 PM
It's a yes for me too, as long as it isn't hugely undersized. I think I could make a decent one. The lego version of it doesn't look too far off, in fact you could almost modify that one to make it work with hasbro figures.

dindae
10-06-2009, 03:58 PM
This is definately the top vehicle on my list. I know hasbro is very hesitant to make it but if it is made I will buy it. Initially I thought I wouldn't buy any larger vehicles since I was cutting back. I still have not gotten a BMF mainly because I already have two Falcons and it is huge. I did however buy the AT-TE although it was on sale for half price. I believe I will pick up the Turbo Tank as well on sale if I can or maybe try to finangle it for a X-mas gift. However this ship is something I want much more. Even as a kid recreating scene was my favorite because of all the aliens, the sarlacc pit was awesome, and you got to see boba fett in action (even as lame as his death was). Now that they have the $70 price point for ships I don't know that I can think of many ships that would be in the $100+ range but i'm sure there isn't a better option from the OT.

Devo
10-06-2009, 06:14 PM
The threads about the capital ships have made me view this as an even more plausible option. Land based vehicle with tonnes of figure interraction, a big deck cannon on it, interior and exterior play environment for lots of interesting looking characters as opposed to ''dull'' humans in jumpsuits and caps (not dull to me but thats how we'd be told they're viewed generally).

This thing so needs to be made. It'd have me doubling up on almost every jabbas palace alien too.

steve2477
10-25-2009, 10:54 AM
Yes, i would certainly buy this vehicle.

JediTricks
10-30-2009, 03:20 AM
Yes. Heck, even the LEGO one is pretty big and fun. Hasbro needs to get over their hangups on this.

darthbooger
10-30-2009, 06:38 AM
Their gonna do it . They can say what they want about putting that clip on the Nikto Gunner "just in case we did it" but Hasbro doesnt do anything without a reason. Next year might bring the AT-AT in the big vehicle range , but I expect a Sailbarge at some point. I just wish they would take my advice and do a Princess Leia's Powder Room playset ! ~sigh~ It would be so beautiful.........:love:

Tycho
10-30-2009, 07:10 AM
but Hasbro doesnt do anything without a reason.

You might be too young to remember the Cruisemissile Trooper. :D

However, the Sailbarge remains my most-wanted SW vehicle!

El Chuxter
10-30-2009, 07:17 AM
The Cruisemissile Trooper had a reason, and that reason was AWESOME!!

Tycho
10-30-2009, 07:18 AM
I don't remember it being Michael-Bay-Awesome.

But then I never bought it.

El Chuxter
10-30-2009, 07:21 AM
Then you have lived a very sad, deprived life as a Star Wars collector. Once you get one, you will recognize the void that's been in your life for the past twelve years.

JediTricks
10-30-2009, 03:47 PM
Now I have to bring the Cruisemissile Trooper with me alongside the CW Y-wing I was already bringing when I visit Tycho.

El Chuxter
10-30-2009, 04:19 PM
You'd better have an AWESOME-proof container to keep it in. Its sheer AWESOMEness could be distracting to other drivers on the freeway.

JediTricks
10-30-2009, 04:50 PM
What do I care? They're all in my rear-view mirror, and that's before I take it out of cruise control!

darthbooger
10-30-2009, 05:48 PM
I was wrong I do remember the cruise missle and your right, but I do think the sailbarge will happen.....maybe...hopefully...:ninja:

Tycho
01-21-2010, 12:09 PM
This was the vehicle that won by the biggest margin we ever recorded in our polls.

Like the Pirates of the Caribbean had their Black Pearl ship in their own toyline, Star Wars needs its "pirate ship."

This is a no-brainer. Put a lot of firing side guns on it that will detatch for collector authenticity, while having it be fun for the kids, too.

Re-card a lot of Jabba aliens Hasbro already has the tools for, and improve and articulate the others wherever possible: new Weequay, Klaatu (we're getting Wooof), Barada (or they can make the other Klatoonian), Nikto (they just did one), and update the Gamorrean for starters. Put out Boba Fett Evolutions again (it's out there now, too) and a new Jabba is already on his way, while Slave Leia (definitive version I guess) is on the pegs right now.

Tycho
02-16-2010, 10:00 PM
Big vehicles: original releases from back to vintage days:

ANH - Millennium Falcon
ESB - AT-AT
ROTJ - Imperial Shuttle
TPM - Queen's Royal Starship
AOTC - Republic Gunship
ROTS - ARC-170 Fighter

Note the vehicles getting smaller (in actual film scale) compared to the toy still making the big vehicle pricepoint. What I mean is the ARC-170 is a 3-person / 1 droid fighter not really comparable to the Millennium Falcon, but economics dictated we got that.

Super Big vehicles to date

ANH - Big Millennium Falcon (MF2)
ESB - Big AT-AT (just shown at TF)
ROTJ - ????

We do not need a super-big Imperial Shuttle.

Jabba the Hutt's sailbarge is the natural choice here for 2011 or 2012!!!

With the PT, we got the AT-TE and the TurboTank. If TPM gets representation, the MTT is a must here.

Warped
02-16-2010, 10:18 PM
I have been wanting this for a very very long time. I wish they would make this instead of remaking other things that are already out. ( AT-AT, Falcon..ect)

Darth Metalmute
02-17-2010, 08:13 AM
I've been thinking of this every since you asked the question months ago. And everytime, the answer remains the same. There is no way possible that Hasbro would do this....... as a vehicle. A vehicle version would be too heavy for kids, too expensive for parents, and never good enough for collectors.

However, Hasbro could take a lesson from Galoob and make a transforming playset much cheeper than a vehicle. Galoob excelled at taking a ship and transforming it into a specific scene. Why couldn't Hasbro make a Sail Barge shell, with action features for a play mode on the deck, that opens up into Jabba's Palace. The closed version could be bigger than the Geonosian Arena playset, which was 50 dollars, and open up to twice the size. I could see this in the $125 range.

I know Hasbro said no playsets, so it is unlikely. I just believe that it is the best chance to get this iconic ship.

bigbarada
02-17-2010, 12:19 PM
I just don't understand why everyone is assuming that, if Hasbro made a Sail Barge, that they would make it correctly scaled?

There is really no need for this thing to be any longer than the BMF. Just look at the proportions of the Lego Sail Barge compared to the Lego figures. I would be happy with something similar in the 3 3/4" scale.

Darth Metalmute
02-17-2010, 12:33 PM
I just don't understand why everyone is assuming that, if Hasbro made a Sail Barge, that they would make it correctly scaled?

Theres no way possible to make it correct scale. The lego playset is kinda what I had in-mind with my playset-over-vehicle post. That being said, if the lego version is made to 3.5" scale, it would still be over 3' long.

I still expect to see a Galactic Heroes version before I see any 3.5" line one.

Devo
02-17-2010, 12:58 PM

There is really no need for this thing to be any longer than the BMF. Just look at the proportions of the Lego Sail Barge compared to the Lego figures. I would be happy with something similar in the 3 3/4" scale.

Ideally I would have it bigger than that relatively speaking but yeah, that'd be a lot better than nothing.