PDA

View Full Version : E.T. 20th Anniversary release.

JEDIpartner
02-25-2002, 12:45 PM
I saw the commercial for this. The one scene that I saw with E.T. walking to the edge of the hill looked STUPID!!!! The CG E.T. was horrible! Yeah... it LOOKED like him, but compared to the scenescape, he stuck out like his glowing finger! Bad, bad, evil, terrible. I'll have to see the whole thing with the reincorporated scenes. They don't look like they will really add a different aspect to the storyline. The effects on E.T.'s ship are pretty standard. They really could have just left those effects alone. Oh, well. Anyone else see this commercial?

Lord Tenebrous
02-25-2002, 01:40 PM
The first thing that came to mind was 'cinema scenes from a video game'. If they would have captured ET's neutral, puppet-style personality with the CGI model, that's one thing, but they didn't. It's like having a movie with identical twins who have completely different acting styles. After a while, you wish one would just disappear so you can have some continuity.

Mike Troxell
02-25-2002, 03:20 PM
I've only seen the preview, which looks really good to me, but from early reviews I hear they did an excellent job on the E.T. effects.

SithDroid
02-25-2002, 10:15 PM
Who knows, perhaps we'll get a glimpse of E.T.'s homeworld with all the stupid smiley flowers and stuff (if anyone has been on the E.T. ride at Universal Studios, you know what I'm talking about).:D :crazed:

LTBasker
02-25-2002, 11:43 PM
Supposedly they're supposed to explain the appearance of the E.T.s in E1... I thought it was just a joke. :D

Jek Porky 2002
02-26-2002, 05:32 AM
When's this film out by the way?

JEDIpartner
02-26-2002, 07:55 AM
It's going to the theatres here in the States on March 22, 2002.

Rollo Tomassi
02-26-2002, 08:00 AM
I agree, the CGI E.T. looks cartoonish compared to the puppet original. I'm glad they are offering both versions on DVD this summer. The cartoony insert shots makes the gun removal objections almost look intelligent.

"Stupid Smiley Flowers from his homeworld" Ha Ha. SithDroid:D See my "Rollo's CA Adventure" thread for Universal Studio commentary.

2-1B
04-04-2002, 02:41 AM
Wellllll, what did everyone think? I saw it Tuesday and loved it. It's been so many years since I've seen it, so some of the changes I probably didn't catch. CGI E.T. wasn't too bad, I could tell when it was him but I wasn't bothered by it.

I completely forgot about Elliot's SW figs, that was a treat :D

It would have been cool to see Harrison Ford as the principal, but that scene didn't make it back in :(

Cops with guns/walkie talkies ? ? ? It's lame that they changed it but it didn't alter my love for this movie.

Wolfwood319
04-04-2002, 02:46 AM
I was never a fan of E.T. originally, a little to cutesy family for me. I don't plan on seeing it again in theaters either. I remember seeing it as a child and still thinking that it was childish. Oh well, whatever floats your boat I guess.:)

2-1B
04-04-2002, 03:03 AM
Wolfy, how old were you when you saw it as a kid? I was 4, and I remember being frightened by the guys in the NASA suits and the whole quarantine thing. Ironically, I remembered those scenes as more tense than they seemed the other day . . . that's gotta be due to how long it's been since I've seen it. :)

Wolfwood319
04-04-2002, 03:12 AM
I remember my mom being a huge fan of it, and got the tape when I was 9 or 10 or so. By that time I was completely engulfed in He-Man, Thundercats, and TMNT, and I didn't want to waste my time with some story about a kid and an alien. Its just never grew on me I guess, and I remember seeing it a few years ago and finding it a trifle boring.

JEDIpartner
04-04-2002, 08:36 AM
I'll just wait for the DVD. I've had the VHS for about 15 years! Damn! I remember when it came out on VHS. We had so many pre-orders on that thing. They were stacked to the ceiling at our store. Whooooo! Those were the days... :( Gosh, I sure do miss them!

El Chuxter
04-04-2002, 11:10 AM
I've been looking forward to this--I loved ET as a youngster, and had the privilege of taking my girlfriend (who never saw it on the big screen) and her niece (who'd never seen it) on Tuesday.

Every bit as good as I remember--even better, in fact! The CG and restored scenes were handled far better than in the SWSE's. Maybe a total of two or three minutes added in, and the only time I could definitely identify the CG was when it was because I knew a particular effect would've been impossible in 1982. Having heard about the gun issue in advance, I was able to see the itchy trigger fingers on the walkie-talkies and noticed Mary silently shouting, "You can't use guns on children!" But you know what? It really didn't matter. This is a minor point, not "Greedo shot first."

And the score. . . wow. Williams has a habit of topping himself over and over. And it's pretty cool to see Drew Barrymore turning in the best acting of her career.

pthfnder89
04-04-2002, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Caesar
[B]Wellllll[/B
It would have been cool to see Harrison Ford as the principal, but that scene didn't make it back in :(

Cops with guns/walkie talkies ? ? ? It's lame that they changed it but it didn't alter my love for this movie.

Actually, Harrison Ford apparently never appears in that scene. Or at least not his face. You just see him from Elliots perspective, sitting in a chair. Too bad they didn't put it in though. It would still be a really neat scene.:)

The gun thing doesn't really bother me, I just don't see why they had to do it. At some point you just have to say to hell with political correctness. Besides, they never even fired one of the guns did they?

Rollo Tomassi
04-04-2002, 11:42 AM
Caesar, I was always freaked out by the spacesuits , too. I think it's because as four year olds (Well, I was seven) we see the world in black and white terms and the "spacesuits" are "evil", whereas when we watch it today, we realize the guys in the spacesuits are doing a neccessary job of quarantining the E.T. and although they are antagonists, they have more benelovent motives that skew into a gray area rather than black and white, and as more mature audience members, we realize this, so they don't bother us as much. That and we've seen it more than once or thrice, so we know what happens now.

Some lady called our theatre and asked if E.T. was only playing for one day. My manager assured her it would be here for at least a couple weeks and she said "Oh. because I saw an ad that said "Only in theatres March 22nd ."

haw haw. People are such idiots.:D

2-1B
04-04-2002, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
Caesar, I was always freaked out by the spacesuits , too. I think it's because as four year olds (Well, I was seven) we see the world in black and white terms and the "spacesuits" are "evil", whereas when we watch it today, we realize the guys in the spacesuits are doing a neccessary job of quarantining the E.T. and although they are antagonists, they have more benelovent motives that skew into a gray area rather than black and white, and as more mature audience members, we realize this, so they don't bother us as much. That and we've seen it more than once or thrice, so we know what happens now.

Well stated :) I had no memory of Peter Coyote's compassion in that movie, and it was certainly different than expected. I almost felt like I was watching a new movie . . .

Have they already announced a DVD release date? It's a must for me, I'm ashamed I never bought the VHS :D

mabudonicus
04-06-2002, 02:51 PM
Caesar- are you talking about THE e.t.?!? That "redux" of the original? HMMMMMM........
I saw et when it came out(i was ten or eleven, i think) and I remember that it was the first time I actually objectively considered a film(critically, anyways). I thought that if it weren't for the atmosphere and the abundant emotional blackmail there wouldn't have been anything "to" the film. I honestly decided that I never wanted to see it again, and not because I thought it was bad; just something intangible that seeing the film made me feel for the first time. (keep in mind that I'm cynical enough to kill at 20 paces with only a few words)
I guess it wouldn't have bothered me if it'd remained in the musty past, but the only response this "special edition" engendered in me was "OH NO- now hollywoods not even gonna bother re-shooting films anymore". I mean, "EVERYONES FAVOURITE FILM" is always gonna be "EVERYONES FAVOURITE", right? Especially simple, timeless themes like "make kids like a character and then tell them he's dying"- couple of new FX and BAM!!! Re- classic-ized!
Sorry for my negative posts lately, winter just keeps coming back up here and it's ticking me off. WOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Beast
04-06-2002, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Caesar
Have they already announced a DVD release date? It's a must for me, I'm ashamed I never bought the VHS :D
Well, no official announcment, but rumors and some early info is pointing to Late July or August. But, It has been confirmed by Spielburg to be a multidisc release, and the original unaltered version of the film will be included. Not sure if the terrorist line will be intact on the original version, as it was removed from all prints of the movie that have ever been released on home video. I do hope that they include all the stuff from the 4 disc Laserdisc edition as well. There was a goodsized making of feature, and lots of deleted scenes, including the one of Harrison Ford as Elliot's Principal. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
04-09-2002, 01:23 AM
Here's an interesting clip, Universal is apparently disappointed in the film's special edition box office. Obviously, they are expecting nice results with DVD sales.

http://www.showbizdata.com/contacts/picknews.cfm?id=28933

RooJay
04-18-2002, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
Some lady called our theatre and asked if E.T. was only playing for one day. My manager assured her it would be here for at least a couple weeks and she said "Oh. because I saw an ad that said "Only in theatres March 22nd ."

haw haw. People are such idiots.:D

Rollo, I used to get people showing up at my theater asking for tickets to movies that came out the year before because they'd just seen a commercial for it on t.v....the VIDEO commercial! I've even had people get mad and try insult my theater by saying things like "Then I'll just go to that other theater! I bet they have it playing!".

HA HA. Yes...people are idiots.:crazed:

Wolfwood319
04-18-2002, 09:06 PM
I like how Universal and Dreamworks are blaming the "bust" on the fact kids aren't in tune with "flying bicycles" and whatnot.

They're basically saying that they don't know what kids want these days, and failed miserably with the rerelease. And instead of taking the blame themeselves, they blame today's kids. Movie execs are the scum of the earth....

Arrrr...:Pirate:

2-1B
06-06-2002, 12:51 PM
Well, anyone looking to get the original cut on DVD will have to pay extra . . .

http://www.theforce.net/holonet/index.html#17015

Beast
06-06-2002, 01:44 PM
I dunno where TheForce.Net got their information Ceaser, but they are wrong. The original version of ET will be on the regular DVD set as well, from what I have read on the DVD websites. It's going to be a 2 disc set, though I originally heard 3. I havent even heard anything abut this "E.T. Ultimate Collector's Gift Set". I will do some info gathering, and get back to you about it.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
06-06-2002, 02:03 PM
From DVDangle.com:
That lovable E.T. will find his home on DVD on 10/22...for a limited time. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial: Limited Collector's Edition will be available for 10 weeks only -- until the end of the year. Priced at $22.98, both the original cut and the new cut of the movie will be included (no official word yet on the aspect ratio or audio format). There will be a whopping "10" hours of bonus material including an isolated score as well as featurettes from 1982 as well as the 20th anniversary. More details are expected soon, but the word so far is most of the extras from the stunning special edition laserdisc set will not be included. Frankly it would be criminal not to include the 1996 documentary...we'll have to wait and see.

From Thedigitalbits.com:
We've got word today that Universal's forthcoming E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial: Collector's Edition DVD (which is expected on 10/22 - SRP $22.95) will be a 10-week only limited release. The 2-disc set will include both the original and new anniversary versions of the film, along with some 10 hours of extras. There will be original featurettes with director Steven Spielberg talking about both versions of the film, along with composer John Williams' score on an isolated audio track and video of him conducting a 100-piece orchestra at this year's premiere. Just one more must-have disc in an already crowded 4th quarter. It's gonna get VERY expensive this holiday season for you DVD fans. Anyway, click here to read more via Yahoo.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
06-06-2002, 02:10 PM
Here is the news from Yahoo:

"E.T." Comes Home on DVD, Briefly
Thu Jun 6, 5:11 AM ET
By Jennifer Netherby and Scott Hettrick

HOLLYWOOD (Variety) - Steven Spielberg's "E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial," the second highest-grossing movie not yet released on DVD, will come home again on Oct. 22, but only for a brief visit.

Universal Studios Home Video (USHV) will reintroduce the alien creature to home video audiences in both his big screen incarnations (original and re-release) in a limited DVD Collector's Edition ($22.95) for 10 weeks only before the title goes on moratorium indefinitely. It is the first Universal video to get a limited release.

USHV president Craig Kornblau said he expects the title to be one of the top-selling DVDs of a very crowded fourth quarter. "This has been our most requested title routinely," he said.

The only title bigger than "E.T." that has yet to be released on DVD is the first "Star Wars" theatrical release. George Lucas has said he will likely not release any of the first three Star Wars movies on DVD until he completes work on the sixth film.

The double-disc Limited Edition "E.T." DVD features 10 hours of extras. Spielberg appears in original featurettes describing all facets of the production of the original 1982 theatrical release and the updated 20th anniversary theatrical release earlier this year.

Another unique element is the isolated track of John Williams' score, which he updated for the re-release, and video of him conducting a 100-piece orchestra at this year's premiere, complete with a four-minute overture and light show.

The DVD release will cap Universal's 18-month marketing campaign that geared up around its theatrical re-release last March and incorporated its theme parks.

"We put the whole company behind it," Kornblau said. "We're kicking out all cylinders on this."

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
06-07-2002, 04:23 AM
I'm not convinced, that quote from Digital Bits appears incomplete. Here's what I just copied from them, I set the additional info in bold type . . .

We've got word today that Universal's forthcoming E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial: Limited Collector's Edition DVD (which is expected on 10/22 - SRP $29.95 - available in dual widescreen and full frame formats) will be a 10-week only limited release. The 2-disc set will include the new anniversary version of the film, along with some 10 hours of extras. You'll get video of director Steven Spielberg talking about the film (20 Years Later with Steven Spielberg), deleted scenes, composer John Williams' score on an isolated audio track and video of him conducting a 100-piece orchestra at this year's premiere, a 50-minute The Evolution of E.T. documentary, the cast & crew Reunion Featurette, galleries of production photos and artwork and more. There will also be an E.T. Ultimate Collector's Gift Set that same day ($69.98 SRP), which will include BOTH the original theatrical version and the 2002 theatrical version, along with the CD soundtrack, the original script and a collectible senitype. This more expensive set is the ONLY way to get both versions of the film. Just more must-have discs in an already crowded 4th quarter. It's gonna get VERY expensive this holiday season for you DVD fans.

Beast
06-08-2002, 01:22 AM
Yep, sorry Caesar, looks like they updated with new information after the fact. Oh well, I will buy the boxed set, and ignore the 2-disc set. This explains why the set was originally stated to be a 3 disc set. After all, if I can buy the theatrical edition of Lord of the Rings and the Special Edition of it, I can do the same thing gladly for ET. Plus I only have to buy the one set, to get both. I wish they would have done a 7 disc set of the theatrical and extended cut for LOTR's. By the way, here is the cover art for the 2-disc SE. :)

From TheDigitalBits.Com:
We've got a couple more CONFIRMED details for you on the E.T. Ultimate Collector's Gift Set. The set WILL INCLUDE ALL of the extras that are on the Limited Collector's Edition DVD (basically, you get the same disc), along with the original theatrical version of the film on a separate disc, the script, the soundtrack CD and the senitype. Both versions of the film in the Gift Set will be anamorphic widescreen, in case you were wondering. And again, this is direct from Universal.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
06-26-2002, 02:18 PM
Just saw this at DVDReview.com, huge disapointment for those of us without DVD-Rom drives in our computers. :(

Bad news for E.T. (June 26, 2002)
Some clarification has come in on the special features for the upcoming E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial DVDs finally coming this fall. And the news is a mixed blessing.

On the positive side, Universal Studios Home Entertainment has went the extra mile with the DVD-ROM content. Instead of the typical, script access and screensavers, Universal has teamed up with Total Axess to provide many unique online features.

The bad news is that the promised deleted scenes and theatrical trailers will only be available through this online content, which means users without DVD-ROMs and broadband Internet connections, are left out. And even users with the technology will only be able to watch the footage via DVD-ROM.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
06-27-2002, 01:14 AM
:mad: Now that's just silly.
Shouldn't DVD cater to Home Theater ? I'd love to just lounge around watching the movie and then the deleted scenes, but instead I'll have to get up and switch the disc over to my DVD-Rom . . . . which I don't even have! :p

Beast
10-13-2002, 06:38 PM
Universal refused to send out screener copies, but some people are starting to recieve their 2-disc set orders. It does contain the original 1982 theatrical edition, that was originally only supposed to be in the 3-disc Ultimate Gift Set.

So now the big question is, what is the 3rd disc in the Gift Set? Is it the Music CD that was listed as coming with the set, or is it a 3rd disc of extras? If it's just the music CD they can shove the Gift Set and I'll take the regular edition for 40 bucks cheaper.

Here's a couple images that prove that the 1982 edition is in the 2-disc set. You can see many more at the following addy. :)

http://www.grovestreet.com/jsp/picv...umbs&sort=title

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
10-13-2002, 06:39 PM
Here's a close-up of the insert from the DVD, that states that the 1982 Theatrical Edition is disc 2. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for news about the Gift Set. But it's not worth $60.00 compared to $20.00 for a music CD, script, and senitype. :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

SithDroid
10-13-2002, 09:56 PM
Thank God that Universal and Spielberg realized that nobody wanted the special edition. Now I guess I'll have to pick up E.T. I was going to pass on it before.

If only George Lucas would now catch the hint and release the ORIGINAL VERSION of the STAR WARS TRILOGY.

mini-rock
10-14-2002, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by SithDroid
If only George Lucas would now catch the hint and release the ORIGINAL VERSION of the STAR WARS TRILOGY.

Agreed, but doubt it. I plan to pick this up on Thursday or Friday, and will watch the original first since it's been so long.:)

Jayspawn
10-14-2002, 10:55 AM
I can't wait to pick up the DVD. The 22nd is near!

El Chuxter
10-14-2002, 12:04 PM
Maybe the third disc is the cut scenes and other stuff that otherwise has to be downloaded??? :confused:

Beast
10-14-2002, 12:24 PM
From what I've been reading El Chuxter, this doesn't seem to be the case. The second disc in the 3-disc set is supposed to be the 1982 theatrical edition only. All the extras that on disc 2, are instead moved to disc three.

So, it seems that for the 2-disc set they just stuffed the extras onto disc 2 with the original version. Its very confusing right now, and Universal is being tight lipped on exactly what is up. DVDFile has both version in hand, and I hope they update today with what the deal is. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Exhaust Port
10-14-2002, 01:12 PM
No matter what's on the other disk it's good to know that we're getting the orginal version. Now I hope that directors have learned a lesson about changing a classic.

Pendo
10-14-2002, 04:02 PM
I'm glad the theretrical version is on the 2-disk set, well I hope it is, it could all be a totaly confusing misunderstanding :confused:. To be honest I always thought it was, and didn't know about the 3-disk box set :rolleyes:. Besides, I don't think we're getting the 3-disk set here in the UK :(. I can't wait for this DVD :D.

PENDO!

El Chuxter
10-21-2002, 02:15 PM
This week, K-Mart's got the 2-disc set advertised at $14.95! Which means Wal-Mart will probably go even cheaper! :eek:

JJB (or anyone else), the only difference DVD-wise between the sets that I can find is a 50-minute documentary. Is that right, or is there something else on the super-duper-loaded version?

Beast
10-21-2002, 02:41 PM
I'm not so sure that Wal-Mart will be able to beat that one, $14.95 is a killer deal. Plus if you need batteries for your remotes, you get another $4.00 of with the purchase of 2 packs of Rayovac batteries. :)

There is some other differences between the two. Like you said, the 50 minute documentary is missing from the 2-disc set to fit the 1982 version of the movie. But also exclusive to the Gift set is an 18 minute documentary "Creating E.T." and a short 10 minute discussion with John Williams, "The Music Of "E.T." - A Discussion With John Williams". :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

mini-rock
10-21-2002, 02:52 PM
Also the 18 minute "Reunion" on the 2 disc set is expanded on the 3 disc. Still not ebough for me to shell out an extra 40 bucks. Other good news is that both DD-EX and DTS-ES tracks are on both versions of the films for both the 2 disc and 3 disc sets.:)

El Chuxter
10-21-2002, 04:38 PM
Dang. . . . I'd love to have the feature with John Williams, but I don't think it's worth $40. I wish they had just the three-disc version without the soundtrack (because seriously, who is going to get a set like this who doesn't already have the soundtrack?) or the other stuff. Guess I can live without it, though, especially if it's only ten minutes.

Beast
10-21-2002, 04:46 PM
It's worth it, if you can pick it up for cheap. I think some store on-line has it for like $48.00 or so. I think it may be Deep Discount DVD. Me and quite a few friends are getting ours for about $30.00 with 3 day shipping, thanks to a mistake on K-Mart's website. *Knock on wood.* :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

mini-rock
10-21-2002, 04:51 PM
Yeah I had my sister order 2 from Kmart for the goof up price.:D

mini-rock
10-21-2002, 09:39 PM
Well, it looks like I spoke to soon about the DTS track being on the 1982 version of E.T. in the 3 disc boxset. Dvdfile (http://www.dvdfile.com/software/dvd-video/archive/2002/10_21.html) has received emails that "some" of the boxsets do not include it.

Beast
10-22-2002, 03:31 AM
I don't think that DVDFile knows what they are talking about. I don't think that the Gift Set has DTS on the 1982 version of the film, and if it doesn't, then no big loss. The film never had a DTS track originally, so they would have had to create one from the DD masters. So the sound is not going to sound as "pure", since it had to be created after the fact. Besides, there is no real discernable difference between DD and DTS in most people's ears anyway. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

mini-rock
10-22-2002, 03:40 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
I don't think that DVDFile knows what they are talking about. I don't think that the Gift Set has DTS on the 1982 version of the film, and if it doesn't, then no big loss. The film never had a DTS track originally, so they would have had to create one from the DD masters. So the sound is not going to sound as "pure", since it had to be created after the fact. Besides, there is no real discernable difference between DD and DTS in most people's ears anyway. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

The digital bits (http://www.thedigitalbits.com)has reported the same problem with the 1982 version of E.T. not having a DTS track for the 3 disc set.

And even though "maybe some" people can't tell the difference between DD/DTS, the fact is I can. For a release like this it makes little difference, compared to today's mixes, but I would still like to see it on any DVD I buy regardless.:)

Eternal Padawan
10-22-2002, 09:49 AM
It's the three disker for me. I don't care about all that video hooey and nonsense, but I can't live without the comemorative lithograph. I'm a junkie for those things!

Kidding. I want as much behind the scenes stuff as possible. An extra disc worth of documentaries is more important than variant film versions (I prefer the original. the new one seems more gimmicky than him actually redoing it "the way he wanted"...Sounds like George has had Steve's ear at too many of their dinner parties.) and I never got the Soundtrack so this will be great.

Beast
10-22-2002, 10:02 AM
The lithograph and book does look really good from the pictures I've seen EP. I can't wait for my Gift Set to come either, though I will probably pick up a cheap copy of the basic 2-discer at K-Mart for $14.95. :)

But yeah, I'm such a slave to special features. I want all the info possible about the movie, it's just to bad that Spielburg doesn't like doing audio commentaries. Oh well, they extra features will suffice. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Mandalorian Candidat
10-22-2002, 10:43 AM
I just got my 2-disc set at WM (no sign of the 3-disc there) for $14.87. There's no mention of the 1982 version being on the 2nd disc. Possibly due to a last-minute decision on Spielberg's part? Anyone want to confirm that their 2-disc set has the 1982 version included with the 2002?

Beast
10-22-2002, 10:52 AM
All copies of the 2-discer will include the original 1982. Spielburg and a mass of bad press by DVD fans caused the change. It was to late to redo the packaging to show that the '82 version was included, but there should be a sticker on the plastic that states as such. Careful, the packaging doesn't state whether it's widescreen or Fullscreen, you need to check the little sticker on the back of the case. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Pendo
10-22-2002, 10:56 AM
All copies of the 2-discer will include the original 1982.

Yeah, I wish :rolleyes:!!!

:mad::cry::mad:

PENDO!

Beast
10-22-2002, 11:12 AM
Ok, Damage Control:

Sorry Pendo, make that read that all R1 2-disc copies of E.T. would include the original 1982 Theatrical Version. And for the record, it does include the original "terrorist" line, that has never appeared on any Home Video copies of E.T. Even the original VHS and Laserdisc copies of the movie are missing that line. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

El Chuxter
10-22-2002, 12:14 PM
Well, it's the $14.44 WalMart version for me. I was debating the Johnny Williams interview dealio, but the cheapest I can find the super-duper deluxe set is $49.99 at Costco. Given AOTC, Spider-Man Deluxe, LOTR Revisited, and all that stuff (not to mention Christmas and a bunch of CDs and SW figures), I can't afford to spend $35 for that little extra material.

Curse you, Universal! Why couldn't you release the 3-discer without the stupid trinkets? :mad:

Mandalorian Candidat
10-22-2002, 10:12 PM
Careful, the packaging doesn't state whether it's widescreen or Fullscreen, you need to check the little sticker on the back of the case. :)

Not to be nitpicky JJB, but the WM copies (and I believe all the Target ones too) have big ole stickers on the front letting you know which version you're getting. Also, mine doesn't have any indication that the 82 version is included, sticker or otherwise. But since you're confident that's the case, I'll crack mine open and take a peek.

I still can't believe WM and KM are selling them for $15. What a good deal. I wonder if EP2 will go for the same price.

mini-rock
10-23-2002, 12:08 AM
I bet K-Mart will do the same price for AOTC.

Eternal Padawan
10-23-2002, 09:33 AM
I didn't even think to check when I bought the Super set, were there Widescreen and Fullscreen versions of that?

I'm gonna be hella peeved if I got a crappy Fullscreen after I spent $50. :mad:

Beast
10-23-2002, 09:48 AM
Nope, there is only Widescreen available for the Ultimage Gift Set. Universal knows that Joe 6 Pack wouldn't pay $50-$70 for a movie anyway, so why bother making one without "dem black bars". :stupid: :happy:

But make sure that you got the correct Disc 2, a scant few Ultimate Gift sets are shipping with the 2nd disc from the 2-disc set. If it's missing the 38 minute "Spielberg: A Look Back" documentary, you have the wrong disc. Return to where you purchased and get the correct one. :)

By the way, I hear that the book is awesome as hell. And it really explains the cost of the boxset, since the paperback version of the book is $23.00 at Barnes and Noble. Not to mention the cool Senitype, which one did you get EP? ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Mandalorian Candidat
10-23-2002, 06:23 PM
OK, I after I posted yesterday I took a good look at my 2-disc copy and saw that right on the Widescreen sticker it said in smaller print "Contains both 2002 and original releases." I watched the first 20 min. last night of the OG version and it looks great. They even left the old Universal credit logo at the opening of the movie. Can't wait until this weekend when I can check out the rest.

I hope this keeps me occupied until Nov. 11.

Deoxyribonucleic
10-23-2002, 09:54 PM
dvd planet shows it as a 4-disk set???

Special Features:

"* 4-Disc Set: Original 1982 Theatrical Version; CD soundtrack; Complete script; Collectible senitype (35mm film print); "20 Years Later With Steven Spielberg"; "John Williams Live Orchestra" segment; Isolated music score (live from the 2002 Shrine Auditorium premiere in Los Angeles); "Space Exploration": 3-D interactive journey into space to learn about our solar system; "The Evolution Of E.T." documentary; Reunion featurette; "E.T. Archives": production stills; DVD-Rom: E.T. facts; Help E.T. Find His Way Home; E.T. Read-along; Total Axess (additional bonus footage); Hardbound book: E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial: From Concept To Classic-A beautiful book that is an essential addition to any library-full of incredible photographs, trivia, interviews, an introduction by Steven Spielberg and Melissa Mathison's complete screenplay. PLEASE NOTE: DOES NOT CONTAIN DTS SOUNDTRACK."

check here if ya want....for all three releases of E.T.

http://www.dvdplanet.com/search_quick.asp?keywords=E.T.

mini-rock
10-23-2002, 10:25 PM
They must be counting the cd as the 4th disc.

Deoxyribonucleic
10-23-2002, 10:31 PM
Nope, there is only Widescreen available for the Ultimage Gift Set. Universal knows that Joe 6 Pack wouldn't pay $50-$70 for a movie anyway, so why bother making one without "dem black bars". :stupid: :happy:

HOLY...you guys are cracking me up tonight! That is SOOOOO very very true! and so very very sad :(

Pendo
10-24-2002, 09:46 AM
Good news to us in the UK because we are finaly going to get the 3-disk set :D!

The 2-disk set is released on Monday, but we will have to wait until the 9th December for the 3-disk set (which will include the original version).

Click here (http://www.r2-dvd.org/article.jsp?sectionId=7&articleId=4860).

PENDO!

Beast
10-24-2002, 09:49 AM
Good to hear Pendo, I was worried that you R2 folks was going to miss out. Any word if they are going to release a seperate 1-disc original version disc for you guys yet? Some areas are getting press releases like that. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Eternal Padawan
10-24-2002, 09:50 AM
The book IS awesome. I was so wrapped up in flipping thru the book, I almost didn't notice that the John Williams thing isn't on the first disc. :mad: At least I can't find it. When I push play on that subscreen, the movie starts. Any info guys?

I got two senitypes. I thought they were all the same image though. E.T. touching Elliot's forehead right before he flies away?

I'll have to check my disc 2 to see if the docu is on it.

Pendo
10-24-2002, 09:53 AM
Any word if they are going to release a seperate 1-disc original version disc for you guys yet? Some areas are getting press releases like that. :)

I've not read anything about it yet, but I'll certainly keep my eyes peeled!

PENDO!

Beast
10-24-2002, 10:37 AM
E.P., The only thing like that on Disc 1 is that John Williams conducts a live performance of the score of the film while the premiere audience watched the film. It was recorded live when they premired the revamped version of E.T. at the Shrine theater. I believe there is an interview with him on either disc 2 or 3, of the 3 disc set. I need to pull up my specs again. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Deoxyribonucleic
10-27-2002, 07:52 PM
That is the trippiest thing I've EVER seen....not so much sight wise but auditory wise it IS CREEPY!!!!

Someone trying to talk like ET and having a VERY hard time of it, explains little known facts about each of the planets and the sun in our solar system!

YIKES!:eek:

derek
10-27-2002, 10:45 PM
i just watched E.T. after not seeing it since it's original release in 1982, so it wasn't very familiar in my memory. after watching it, i'm wondering what the fasination with this film is? it by any means wasn't a bad movie, but how did it make so much money in it's initial release? it's no where near star wars territory in terms of story or effects.

i can respect it if this is one of your favorite films of all time, but what about it did you like so much? and on a side note, the changes speilburg made weren't so bad. no where near as awful as the "greedo shoots first" thing.:)

Mandalorian Candidat
10-28-2002, 05:18 PM
I'll answer that one derek. I was 12 when it came out and it just fell into that vein of popcorn summer flicks us suburban 80's kids came to love (Raiders, SW, Close Encounters, Gremlins, Ghostbusters, etc). I remember loving the story because it was about kids who did something really cool and had a great secret from their parents (OK, just a mom in this case). I remember taking a class about science vs. religion as an undergraduate and the professor talked about a research paper that was published about why this movie hit such a chord. Without getting into religion at all, the conclusion is that it ET is in the same vein as the whole SW-as-myth belief. I would also chalk up it's success to the fact that it was made and marketed to a broader audience than the SW trilogy. I remember going with my parents at least three times to see it. That in itself is remarkable because we never saw a movie all together more than once other than for ET.

I watched the 2002 version Sat. night for the first time and I'll say that I didn't like it as much as the OG version. I can see why Spielberg cut out some of the parts like the ET bathtub and Halloween toilet-paper-o-rama scenes. To go even further I liked the ET puppet and thought it was more realistic or at least likeable than the CG versions.

I'm still glad he decided to release the DVD with both versions because it was nice to see new/deleted footage.

My one big peeve is that he decided not to do a commentary, which also wasn't done for Close Encounters. I understand SS's reasons, but IMO he's one of the 5 most influential moviemakers of all time and I'm really interested to hear his thought processes on the films. I'm glad GLu did one for EP1 and EP2 because I like hearing his thought processes on making the SW films.