PDA

View Full Version : Pictures of Jaina and Jacen Solo (and K'Kruhk) figures!

Tycho
09-10-2009, 12:08 PM
I can't believe no one's commented on these! (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=13&p2_articleid=2378)

I've waited since the '90's for Jaina and Jacen figures. It will be awesome to finally be able to add them to my collection. I'll likely by 6 or more multiples of each of them.

Jacen looks to be dressed in his early Young Jedi Knights threads (similar to Luke Bespin's) but comes with the Yuuzhan Vong "Embrace of Pain" - I think that's what the twisted amphistaff is supposed to represent. Anyway, with that removed, I'm sure he can be YJK Jacen (perhaps older looking) and NJO Jacen.

Another good Jedi form for Jacen would be the black outfit. You can customize this with Jacen's head and the Luke Rebel Alliance Special Ops outfit from the Deena Shan comic 2-pack.

Sith Lord Darth Caedus would also be welcome for Jacen.

Jaina's outfit is rather too prequel-Jedi for me. I would have preferred her in the black or the Bespin-style jumpsuit myself. This could be done with the Leia Bespin-escape body But a tan repaint would be better, adding Jaina's toolbelt and a hook for her lightsaber. The Deena Shan body would work for her black outfit.

The female X-wing Pilot body is already in play out there multiple times. Making Jaina from Rogue Squadron would be easy.

I really want to see some carded generic Yuuzhan Vong (or a battlepack), Lowbacca, Tenel Ka (perhaps with removeable arm), Zekk, Danni Quee, Jagged Fel, a civilian-dressed Baron Soontir Fel, older Han Solo, older Princess Leia, a carded Luke Jedi Master, a Mara Skywalker Jedi Knight, Kyp Durron, a Jedi Corran Horn, some Yuuzhan Vong warmasters like Tsavong Lah and Special Agents like Nom Anor, Droma, Booster Terrek, the list goes on and on...

These would sell however. Many are OT-era Jedi Knights or otherwise antagonists.

pbarnard
09-10-2009, 12:50 PM
I think they're very early NJO figures as you mention.

On your other wants, the comic pack Yuuzhan Vong is an epic failure on Dark Horses part (Hasbro basing it off DH art). They some how took words like cadaverous, lithe, wiry, lean, and created that monster. They also got the armor and skin colors not quite right (pale blue, with purple eye sacs, sloping foreheads with stringy black hair). It's one thing to just make a bad scuplt, it's another thing to make a bad sculpt because some one failed to read and understand the source material. Change the Vong, and maybe I would trust them on this.

Blue2th
09-10-2009, 01:34 PM
I'm looking forward to K'Kruhk mostly. He lived through everything, and was in the Micro Series too.

I think they should include his hat as an accessory.

The Heir to the Empire Space Trooper is cool also. My old one's starting to get sticky. :ermm:

El Chuxter
09-10-2009, 01:49 PM
Man, they make K'kruhk, and they totally screw it up. Why is he only about 3" tall? He should be massive! :crazed:

I do sorta wish they'd stop "revisiting" older EU figures until they've gotten all the "heavy hitters" out of the way.

Tycho
09-10-2009, 03:54 PM
I do sorta wish they'd stop "revisiting" older EU figures until they've gotten all the "heavy hitters" out of the way.

Who makes your list of Heavy Hitters, Chux?

El Chuxter
09-10-2009, 04:26 PM
Well, Jedi Knights Corran and Kyp would be near the very top of the list. There are too maby characters like that who've been prominent in EU for years and years, but have never been released as figures.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-10-2009, 07:46 PM
I can't believe no one's commented on these!
Probably because the pictures came out at Comic-Con. ;)

Shaak Ti and K'Kruhk are the most interesting to me, since I actually know those characters. I mean, I know of the others, and I'll get them, but still. The BG-J38 build-a-droid is the most exciting part of the wave.

Darth Metalmute
09-10-2009, 09:24 PM
I'm with Tycho. Jacen and Jaina have been at the top of my list for years. While the sculpts don't overwhelm me, I am pumped that we finally get them.

Chux is right though. There are plently of EU figures that should have been made before them. The Zahn trilogy should have it's own wave for the importance it served for it's part in the resurrection of the Star Wars franchise. Thrawn and Jade have been made twice, but the last ones could have been released in a wave with Karrade, C'Baoth, Pellaeon, Rukh, Bel Iblis, and since Hasbro said you can't release a wave without "major" characters, Luuke Skywalker, Leia with baby Jacen, and Han with baby Jaina.

pbarnard
09-11-2009, 09:12 AM
Chux is right though. There are plently of EU figures that should have been made before them. The Zahn trilogy should have it's own wave for the importance it served for it's part in the resurrection of the Star Wars franchise. Thrawn and Jade have been made twice, but the last ones could have been released in a wave with Karrade, C'Baoth, Pellaeon, Rukh, Bel Iblis, and since Hasbro said you can't release a wave without "major" characters, Luuke Skywalker, Leia with baby Jacen, and Han with baby Jaina.

Fine, but they can't use DH as the source art anymore. They just screw up to much in this one and outside of LFL coming down from the top on Shadows of the Empire and The Force Unleased the reason why there hasn't been any other novels adapted because of how angry the author got with how the characters were drawn.

Darth Metalmute
09-11-2009, 09:39 AM
Fine, but they can't use DH as the source art anymore. They just screw up to much in this one and outside of LFL coming down from the top on Shadows of the Empire and The Force Unleased the reason why there hasn't been any other novels adapted because of how angry the author got with how the characters were drawn.

I'm not a big fan of the comic packs so you won't get an argument out of me for not using DH. It would be nice if they could use the Character books for some of these. Or in Zahns case, the characters on the cover.

pbarnard
09-11-2009, 10:01 AM
Don't use the character books. Those are based on the Dark Horse art. There are some good artwork out there, but it's scattered in and amongst things like the book covers, RPG books, and most DH books that came out after TPM.

I'll gladdly give Hasbro my 3 notebooks where I have things like hair color, outfit descriptions written down. Oh, and species.

Tycho
09-11-2009, 02:47 PM
Jaina is wearing the wrong outfit if they intended this figure to reflect the Invasion comic series. She's shown wearing a green "Jedi vest" top, with dark and very short sleeves beneath, not this more prequel-style Jedi outfit that looks like she took fashion hints from Adi Gallia.

However, the Solo twins will be single-packed as far as I know. So I'm not sure what source (Essential Guide to Characters?) they took Jaina's outfit from. However, I didn't figure she dressed too "traditional Jedi" myself.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-22-2009, 08:19 PM
Well, now SSG has pics up of the wave, which includes the second Cloud City Wing Guard (Utris M'Toc). The paint on K'Kruhk's face and Jaina's lips is a little bit off, but everything else looks good. The realistic interpretation on K'Kruhk's card is pretty awesome.

pbarnard
09-22-2009, 08:33 PM
Jaina is wearing the wrong outfit if they intended this figure to reflect the Invasion comic series. She's shown wearing a green "Jedi vest" top, with dark and very short sleeves beneath, not this more prequel-style Jedi outfit that looks like she took fashion hints from Adi Gallia.

This looks to be early NJO, well before Invasion was available. I'll have to double check it against Chewbacca. And I wouldn't call the Dark Horse art 100% accurate at any rate. Look how bad the Comic Pack Yuuzhan Vong is relative to all the other sources (and their long history of getting species wrong). This would be a very accurate Jaina--like a blend of her mother, grandmother and father. Jacen's head doesn't seem quite right, but that could be because his older sister is damn perfect.

Old Fossil
09-22-2009, 09:16 PM
I like the alien Jedi, but don't know if I'll get it.

I'm baffled by the Bespin Guard. I don't recall seeing an alien among their number in ESB. I'll probably get one, but I really wish it had been a human instead.

The darktrooper and spacetrooper and the Solo twins are easy passes for me.

Tycho
09-23-2009, 01:56 AM
That reminds me of two things:

Jaina is older than Jacen? By minutes or something? They are fraternal twins. Anakin Solo was the youngest born about 2 years later.

Also, Utriss M'Toc was costumed and photographed for ESB, but his appearance was cut out from the movie for no reasons that had anything to do with him. But in the Star Wars Encyclopedia and various behind-the-scenes sources for Empire Strikes Back, M'Toc's there. I think it's great to add more variety to Bespin other than just humans and Ugnaughts.

Old Fossil
09-23-2009, 09:26 AM
Also, Utriss M'Toc was costumed and photographed for ESB, but his appearance was cut out from the movie for no reasons that had anything to do with him. But in the Star Wars Encyclopedia and various behind-the-scenes sources for Empire Strikes Back, M'Toc's there. I think it's great to add more variety to Bespin other than just humans and Ugnaughts.

Thanks for that, Tycho.

I find it odd that Hasbro has TWICE made a Bespin Guard that was not either white or black, both of which were part of the vintage Kenner line. (I do not count the Guard that came with the carbon freeze chamber playset some years ago, as it saw very limited distribution.) And while I enjoy variety as much as anyone, Bespin as I remember it had a fairly homogenous human on-screen population, whatever the source material suggests. This is just Hasbro effin with the Star Wars action figure universe again; and while I will buy the alien Wing Guard, I'll still be waiting for the generic humans.

And they darn well need to fix those ankle joints. The blue innards are shining through those black boots clear as day.

Tycho
09-23-2009, 10:35 AM
Well, let's see about carded Bespin Guards:

there was an Asian Bespin Guard made with his jacket open for POTJ. It was a cool figure, better for action scenes (EU pretty much), though there were real Asian actors hired to model as guards in ESB that made it on-screen.

I personally like this figure as with the open jacket, he stands out more than how boring the regular dude might be. However, we want movie-authentic.

Now there will be the black Bespin Guard - the first release of a Bespin Guard in the BAD Legacy Collection.

There could also be a white guy Bespin Guard.

And there could be a Bespin Guard (Asian or White) with a Foo-Man-Choo (spelling) mustache.

The last one and the black dude cover the vintage Bespin Guards.

They should have their jackets closed, however using different molds could offer variety in their body heights.

bigbarada
09-23-2009, 11:17 AM
The alien Bespin Guard is easily the most exciting figure in this wave for me. :yes:

Blue2th
09-23-2009, 11:28 AM
I don't see K'Kruhk's hat in there. Going to have to find a Chinese cooly to get one. :neutral:

pbarnard
09-23-2009, 11:46 AM
That reminds me of two things:

Jaina is older than Jacen? By minutes or something? They are fraternal twins. Anakin Solo was the youngest born about 2 years later.

Yes, Jaina is the oldest Solo child by minutes. Part of the Last Command, as well as Jacen and Jaina's way to tell Hethrir was lying to them in The Crystal Star, and a few other times as sort of their "verbal twin" code.

DarkJedi5
09-23-2009, 11:11 PM
Saw pics of the Shaak Ti fig and is it just me or is that the first Star Wars figure with um, ya know, an anatomically accurate upper torso? Maybe it's just the lighting but the figure looks a bit PG-13.

Tycho
09-24-2009, 12:40 AM
The actress that played Shaak-Ti (Orlee something, an Israeli girl) is smoking hot! So that's more or less a great representation if you mean what I thought you meant by your description.

Meanwhile, Hasbro has made anatomically correct upper bodies for their lady figures before - see AOTC Padme Unleashed 7". You don't need even need to be in a cold room. :D

djsosharp
09-24-2009, 12:44 AM
LOL the legendary Perky Padme

Yeah the Shaak Ti is nice too. This Wave 13 actually has some of the coolest figs yet, might be my favorite so far.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-24-2009, 01:38 AM
Saw pics of the Shaak Ti fig and is it just me or is that the first Star Wars figure with um, ya know, an anatomically accurate upper torso? Maybe it's just the lighting but the figure looks a bit PG-13.
Yeah . . . er . . . I didn't actually notice that until you pointed it out, but that's, uh, that's really something . . .