PDA

View Full Version : A Community Wide Question: DS2 Luke Jedi

ROTJLuke
09-10-2009, 09:43 PM
Hey all-been awhile-

My question is for you, the consumer, the collector, and above all, the fan. I've been an avid Star Wars fan most of my life (I'm 22) and have been a massive collector since the conception of the POTF2 line. I've bought most (if not all) of the figures Kenner/Hasbro has released, and have seen the line grow from the first Luke Tatooine figure (super buff) to the most recent upcoming release (resurgence of the Jedi). I've seen the line grow in detail, sculpting, accessories, articulation, etc. It's been a wonderful time, all these years.

My question pertains to perhaps the most illusive figure over the last 14 years, and the upcoming release. I've seen (especially in the past six years) a true fan demand for a proper Death Star 2 Luke Jedi figure. Now, when I say proper, like most do, I think along the lines of figures like VOTC Han, Pilot Obi-Wan, etc. The truly great figures that Hasbro is fully capable of releasing. Hell, look at the upcoming Malikili figure...

Why are we subject to such releases? I had read in various forms of media (online, magazines, etc.) Darryl Depriest himself praising this figure as the seemingly 'end-all' Jedi Luke's. I haven't seen any sort of general consensus amongst SirSteve posters, and I'm wondering what the stance is on these boards. Over at RS it's been made clear what the stance is on this figure, and with the recent Hasbro Q&A response about how this DS2 Luke Jedi is going to be it for now, how do you feel? You, the consumer, who's had the pleasure of figures like VOTC Chewie or Boba Fett, feel about this release of Luke Skywalker in such an iconic outfit?

I'm just trying to understand if it's just me, or us as a whole. Maybe my standards are too high? I don't think so. Not when I've seen what they can do. Hell, look at how nice 2004's Jabba's Palace Luke Jedi was. How could they revert?!

Thanks for taking the time! :thumbsup:

DarkJedi5
09-10-2009, 10:00 PM
I am incredibly disappointed by what we saw at Comic Con. There are numerous problems with what we've seen, but at the same time, the Q&A from today says that we've yet to see the real thing, apparently that was just a demo and the real thing will have much tighter joints. To be perfectly honest the joints was only a small problem, the huge chest is one of my biggest complaints and I'm not entirely sold on this whole flap up flap down clip on piece solution either. I will buy one. If I get it out of the package and like it, I'll probably buy a few more.

bigbarada
09-10-2009, 10:02 PM
Well, they say that the prototype shown at SDCC wasn't the final version of the figure, so I'm going to wait until I actually have the figure in my hand before I pass final judgement. I actually think the face sculpt is one of the better Luke likenesses from the photos.

Qui-Long Gone
09-10-2009, 10:07 PM
I'm continually dissapointed in any ROTJ Luke.

Shame, they've done well enough with PT Obi Wan so I know it's possible to do a good figure....

I'll pass on broad-chest Lukie, but the ANH Luke (Jedi pack) shows promise....

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-10-2009, 10:30 PM
I'm just not sure if this is the best they can do. The shoulders are huge. Hopefully the final one will look better, but I'm not counting on it. You can tell he's based mostly on the 2007 and 2008 figures, but those both had extra clothing that covered up the big shoulders to a point. We'll see.

Devo
09-10-2009, 11:15 PM
Well I'm posting in the thread at RS so my feelings should be clear. This 09 figure is s**t, just like the TAC figure was. I agree though I haven't noticed much of a consensus here at SirSteves and this seems to be the first dedicated thread on the matter.

Ando
09-11-2009, 02:35 PM
I never even noticed the head scuplt. I was too distracted by the spindly legs which look like calves were attached to the wrong thighs.

Droid
09-11-2009, 03:20 PM
Look at how nice 2004's Jabba's Palace Luke Jedi was. How could they revert?

I thought the 2004 Jabba Palace Luke was terrible. The hands can't properly hold anything. The cloth good robe frays and looks as bad as all of the cloth goods. The dye from the robe has over time stained the face of the figure.

And this new DSII Luke is bad too.

DarkJedi5
09-11-2009, 06:58 PM
I thought the 2004 Jabba Palace Luke was terrible. The hands can't properly hold anything. The cloth good robe frays and looks as bad as all of the cloth goods. The dye from the robe has over time stained the face of the figure.

And this new DSII Luke is bad too.

The hands is a good point. What the heck is up with that one claw hand he's got? It looks terrible.

Snowtrooper
09-11-2009, 09:31 PM
I'm still waiting to see what the final product will look like before I make up my mind. But it is disappointing based on what we've seen thus far. About the only positive thing I can say about it is on the carded image we got awhile back, the headsculpt seemed pretty good.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-11-2009, 10:32 PM
GalacticHunter (http://www.galactichunter.com/absoluteig/gallery.asp?categoryid=6160) put up some images earlier tonight. This figure's joints just look like hell.

bigbarada
09-11-2009, 10:40 PM
GalacticHunter (http://www.galactichunter.com/absoluteig/gallery.asp?categoryid=6160) put up some images earlier tonight. This figure's joints just look like hell.

That's probably one of the best looking facesculpts I've seen on a Luke Skywalker figure. :)

In a few of those those shots it's almost like they are deliberately posing him to look as crappy as possible. All in all, however, he's not really all that bad.

Devo
09-11-2009, 11:01 PM
The head is the only good thing about it. The GH pictures really emphasise its flaws, I'm not sure if that was the intention or not but damn...I really hope people aren't looking at those and crossing DSII Luke off their ''needs to be made'' list. Its an embarrassing figure, really and truly.

bigbarada
09-11-2009, 11:10 PM
The head is the only good thing about it. The GH pictures really emphasise its flaws, I'm not sure if that was the intention or not but damn...I really hope people aren't looking at those and crossing DSII Luke off their ''needs to be made'' list. Its an embarrassing figure, really and truly.

I'm not crossing him off my list, but I don't think we'll see a new version from Hasbro for at least 5 years or more.

AmanaMatt
09-12-2009, 01:26 AM
Pretty darn good likeness for sure, but just an awful body......badly proportioned and the joints are awful...

Snowtrooper
09-12-2009, 08:25 AM
We all just as well go out and buy one since we'll be swapping heads with the new one that will be coming out after a few years, that will have the correct body, but a horrible headsculpt. :rolleyes:

Old Fossil
09-12-2009, 11:09 AM
Looks OK to me. Then again, I prefer the "farmboy" and Pilot versions of Luke figures, on the whole.

Interesting to see how ROTJ-inspired figures always seem to generate a lot of buzz among collectors: Yarna, Luke Jedi, Jabba aliens, slave Leia, the Emperor, etc.

DarkJedi5
09-12-2009, 11:30 AM
So I'm the only person here who's got a problem with the sculpt of the left hand?

Qui-Long Gone
09-12-2009, 11:44 AM
So I'm the only person here who's got a problem with the sculpt of the left hand?

No, it's just that there are so many other problems with the figure, the hand is being overlooked but not forgotten...

I may pick up this figure with the hopes of swapping heads for a better figure sculpt in the future....or I may just pass all together.

This will make my wallet very happy...:rolleyes:

pbarnard
09-12-2009, 07:00 PM
Well it looks like the custom I did is still better. Take the Wave 1 BAD Sandstorm Luke, put Comic Pack (most recent Dark Empire) one on, instant DSII Luke.

DarkArtist
09-13-2009, 09:13 AM
i'm on the fence at this point with the figure... i always hold judgement until the figure is out of the package an in my hands before making my final decision on whether the figure is worth the price or still way off the mark.

in the case of DSII Luke, the prototype they showed did lack in many areas (especially since this is a redue of the TAC Luke redone with a new headsculpt, repainted ROTS Kenobi lightsaber, and perhaps one of the accessories everyone has been asking for shackles).

however I find it hard to believe that Hasbro would make this the very last version of the character since the demand is increasing high and since he is a core character and one that kids love (not to mention that the Jedi outfit is one of the most requested outfits of Luke).

i feel that Hasbro will eventually redo DS II Luke later in the line (perhaps as a return to the Vintage series....which would rock if they gave us a really great Jedi Luke with removable vest..not a bath towel like the TAC version, both a new ignited lightsaber as well as just a hilt, perhaps an Endor Combat poncho and helmet, and of course the shackles and maybe even an interchangable hand to show both gloved and blaster damaged versions).

all in all I can't wait to find one on the pegs and get one to see how the final version came out.

Devo
09-13-2009, 10:57 AM

No don't worry, I have a problem with everything below the head including both hands. The giant claw left hand and the other hand with the pointless trigger finger. I continue to be amazed that anyone is even taking a ''wait and see'' stance on this one. It is clearly awful right now, no need to see it in hand.

DarkArtist
09-13-2009, 04:20 PM
i'm not so into the left hand myself but i'm going to see if i can swap it out for a left hand on an extra TAC Jedi Luke and see f it looks better

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-03-2010, 11:05 PM
I'm not crossing him off my list, but I don't think we'll see a new version from Hasbro for at least 5 years or more.
What about four years sooner? :p

Blue2th
08-03-2010, 11:52 PM
Crying, whining, complaining, etc...and now... :yes:

bigbarada
08-04-2010, 08:00 PM
What about four years sooner? :p

Yep, totally have to eat my words there. :o