PDA

View Full Version : Music by the Decade: 80s

Bel-Cam Jos
09-12-2009, 10:17 AM
When you walk through stores and they have those CD compilations of the decades, they never seem to have the "right" songs to me. Downloading songs for MP3 players makes this issue moot now, but what would you consider THE collection to symbolize the 1980s? They don't have to be your favorites (although that'd make sense to be), just what would represent that time period. Here's mine, with the artists' track numbers in no particular order:

1. "Like a Virgin" Madonna
2. "Wake Me Up Before You Go Go" Wham!
3. "Karma Chameleon" Culture Club
4. "Billie Jean" Michael Jackson
5. "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" Cindy Lauper
6. "Walk This Way" Run DMC & Aerosmith
7. "When Doves Cry" Prince & the Revolution
8. "Hit Me With Your Best Shot" Pat Benatar
9. "Hungry Like the Wolf" Duran Duran
10. "Tainted Love" Soft Cell
11. "White Wedding" Billy Idol
12. "Jump" Van Halen
13. "Down Under" Men at Work
14. "Danger Zone" Kenny Loggins
15. "Vacation" The Go-Gos
Bonus Track: "Safety Dance" Men Without Hats

Mad Slanted Powers
09-12-2009, 10:57 AM
That list does a pretty good job of covering a wide range of pop and rock hits, though I think it is mostly from the first half of the decade. I think pop music probably started to go downhill by the end of the decade, or I just wasn't listening to it as much. My collection of CD's and iTunes purchases from the 80's pales in comparison to my 70's and 90's and '00's stuff.

dr_evazan22
09-12-2009, 11:32 AM
I'd add:

Bruce Springsteen, "Born In The USA" or
"Dancing In The Dark"
U2, "I Still Haven't Found..."
Peter Gabriel, "Big Time"
Dexy's Midnight Runners, "Come On Eileen"
J Giles, "Angel In The Centerfold" , or is it just Centerfold?
Madness, "Our House"

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-12-2009, 12:29 PM
For GOOD 80's music, you'd have to go with Queen and Talking Heads and (maybe) Pink Floyd, but their heyday had come and gone by then. Oh, and Paul Simon's Graceland. I'm not a huge 80's music fan aside from those.

Mad Slanted Powers
09-12-2009, 02:18 PM
J Giles, "Angel In The Centerfold" , or is it just Centerfold?
It is just "Centerfold", and besides, the lyrics are "Angel is the Centerfold." That goes back to about 6th grade for me. That Freeze Frame album was pretty good. At the time, I thought they were a new band, but they had been around for a long time. Apparently, I wasn't the only one that thought that. Dynamite magazine did a survey once of the best songs, artists and albums of the year (as well as worst), plus a few other categories such as best new artist. I believe J. Geils Band made the list. I think Olivia Newton-John's "Physical" made both the best and the worst list.

The other cool thing about J. Geils Band was that one of them went by the name of "Magic Dick."

Blue2th
09-12-2009, 10:02 PM
a few of my favorite bands from the 80's were:

Police
U2
Tears for Fears
Cutting Crew
Billy Idol

All these bands put out albums where almost every song on each of their albums were good and they all had excellent guitarists, instead of the mostly all keyboard candy-as* bands that were prevalent.

The Cutting Crew only put out one good album, but everyone else consistently put out good material, though a couple fizzled out with some tired sounding efforts by the late 80's.

El Chuxter
09-12-2009, 10:48 PM
For GOOD 80's music, you'd have to go with Queen and Talking Heads and (maybe) Pink Floyd, but their heyday had come and gone by then. Oh, and Paul Simon's Graceland. I'm not a huge 80's music fan aside from those.

I'm working on a list, but I find this pretty interesting. You like groups like Franz Ferdinand and The Killers, but not, say, INXS or Duran Duran or even Dexy's Midnight Runners, who all sound like they were huge influences on dudes you like?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-13-2009, 01:27 PM
I'm working on a list, but I find this pretty interesting. You like groups like Franz Ferdinand and The Killers, but not, say, INXS or Duran Duran or even Dexy's Midnight Runners, who all sound like they were huge influences on dudes you like?
It's not that I don't like them, I just don't know them as well. I suppose I've just heard the more modern bands more than I have heard the old ones, hearing them on the radio or reading about them more. I was just going off of the 80's stuff I had in iTunes.

Mad Slanted Powers
09-13-2009, 07:56 PM
Continuing what I did with the 60's and 70's threads, here are the #1 songs of 1980 (blue=in my collection):

"Please Don't Go" - K.C. & The Sunshine Band (1 week)
"Rock With You" - Michael Jackson (4 weeks)
"Do That To Me One More Time" - The Captain & Tennille (1 week)
"Crazy Little Thing Called Love" - Queen (4 weeks)
"Another Brick in the Wall (Part II)" - Pink Floyd (4 weeks)
"Call Me" - Blondie (6 weeks)
"Funkytown" - Lipps, Inc. (4 weeks)
"Coming Up (Live at Glasgow) - Paul McCartney & Wings (3 weeks)
"It's Still Rock and Roll To Me" - Billy Joel (2 weeks)
"Magic" - Olivia Newton-John (4 weeks)
"Sailing" - Christopher Cross (1 weeks)
"Upside Down" - Diana Ross (4 weeks)
"Another One Bites The Dust" - Queen (3 weeks)
"Woman in Love" - Barbara Streisand (3 weeks)
"Lady" - Kenny Rogers (6 weeks)
"(Just Like) Starting Over" - John Lennon (5 weeks)

Two former Beatles with #1 songs ten years after they broke up. Unfortunately, John Lennon didn't live to see that song reach #1.

My brother had the Queen (The Game and Billy Joel (Glass Houses) albums. Those were both pretty big that year. He also had the second Pat Benatar album, Crimes of Passion, which I have now, and Air Supply's Lost in Love. Other 1980 albums in his collection (and mine now as well) were Devo's Freedom of Choice and The B-52's Wild Planet. That was about as alternative as I got back in those days.

Some other 1980 tracks in my collection:

"I Got You" - Split Enz (I didn't learn the title and artist of this song for sure until a few years ago)
"Cars" - Gary Numan (When I used to mentioned the band The Cars to people, they'd think of this song instead)
"Love Will Tear Us Apart" - Joy Division (I only discovered this in recent years)
"More Love" - Kim Carnes
"Misunderstanding" - Genesis
"Any Way You Want It" - Journey (Caddyshack!)
"Wango Tango" - Ted Nugent (plus a couple other tunes from Scream Dream. Ted should make an energy drink and name it after this song.)
"Expresso Love" - Dire Straits (love the opening riff)

1980 was also the year that Minor Threat formed, though I never heard of them until about a decade later.

I remember going with a friend to see Xanadu in the theater. Great music by Olivia Newton-John and E.L.O. I saw the movie again on TV in 1983 I think, and developed a bit of a crush on ONJ. Later that night we stayed up and watched some music program that had Tommy Tutone on it. This was before "867-5309". My friend liked their song "Angel Say No", but the other song that was on this program was called "Cheap Date". I liked that one better, and now have purchased it from iTunes.

It may have been the same night and program that we saw the Tommy Tutone songs where we also saw The Rolling Stones videos for "She's So Cold" and "Emotional Rescue". The Emotional Rescue album was pretty good, and another one that my brother had.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-13-2009, 09:37 PM
Please don't pretend that it's okay to have Olivia Newton-John in your collection but not Pink Floyd's The Wall or Queen's The Game. :p

El Chuxter
09-13-2009, 10:11 PM
Or Off the Wall (which would be remembered as far greater if not for the follow-up album), Christopher Cross (a seriously underrated debut by someone who's career went nowhere fast), or one of Lennon's biggest solo hits. Man, reading what you're missing in some of these threads, I want to send you a mix CD to be charitable. :D

Mad Slanted Powers
09-13-2009, 10:34 PM
Please don't pretend that it's okay to have Olivia Newton-John in your collection but not Pink Floyd's The Wall or Queen's The Game. :pI do have Queen's Greatest Hits, and Pink Floyd's Echoes. My brother had The Wall, and it is one I've been meaning to get for a long time, as well as Wish You Were Here, Animals, Dark Side of the Moon, and Piper at the Gates of Dawn. I was disappointed that "Pigs (Three Different Ones)" wasn't on Echoes. Keep in mind that the Xanadu soundtrack also has E.L.O. on it.

Or Off the Wall (which would be remembered as far greater if not for the follow-up album), Christopher Cross (a seriously underrated debut by someone who's career went nowhere fast), or one of Lennon's biggest solo hits. Man, reading what you're missing in some of these threads, I want to send you a mix CD to be charitable. :DI do have "Off The Wall" and "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough," but I have no intention of buying any Michael Jackson albums. I only have Bad because my sister gave it to me one day after helping her move some stuff. That Christopher Cross debut was pretty good, and I have a couple of the hits in a 1980 wish list. I remember liking "(Just Like) Starting Over" a lot when it was new, but now I like "Watching the Wheels" better, and I did buy that one from iTunes.

I just downloaded the new version of iTunes a couple of days ago and don't like some of the changes. Before, I would drag songs from the iTunes store into a playlist. That way, I would set up playlists for each two year period, and the tracks I had dragged there from the iTunes store would form a wish list. On the new version of iTunes, it doesn't appear that you can do that, at least from an album or artist page. There are iTunes Essentials that still look the way they used to, and I can drag songs from that. There is also no longer a shopping cart listed. Instead, there is a wish list that you save songs to, but that is in the store and not listed on the left with all the other playlists.

Blue2th
09-14-2009, 10:44 AM
The Producers

One of the better bands from this era. They actually had a few hits.

She Shiela: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT6Lv5iBsLM&feature=related

I'll bet the Aussies like this song :cheeky:

I have this CD, along with their first album. It's out of print now.

They were actually very good live.
My favorite song from You make the Heat is Dear John
A pretty sad song about a soldier going off to war.
It ROCKS live:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dic0yHsvqIs

Blue2th
09-14-2009, 11:07 AM
Scandal with Patty Smyth

Beat of a Heart was my favorite song. It rocked.
Check out that hair lol :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agbJXp42DuM

Rocketboy
09-14-2009, 11:38 AM
No Motley Crue, GNR or any other hair metal?
For shame...

Blue2th
09-14-2009, 12:51 PM
No Motley Crue, GNR or any other hair metal?
For shame...
I liked the Crue early on in the 80's. Them and Hanoi Rocks and a few others were the beginnings of Glam Metal.

After a while with bands that came later it just got obsurd.
I was glad when Teen Spirit came out and sounded the death nell for the posers.

Other corporate bands of the 80's I liked at first like Journey and REO Speedwagon I soon got very sick of quickly. Though the girls liked them because of their sappy ballads. :rolleyes:

GNR was really kind of a holdover to the 90's I do believe. They Rocked.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-14-2009, 01:00 PM
I do have Queen's Greatest Hits, and Pink Floyd's Echoes. My brother had The Wall, and it is one I've been meaning to get for a long time, as well as Wish You Were Here, Animals, Dark Side of the Moon, and Piper at the Gates of Dawn. I was disappointed that "Pigs (Three Different Ones)" wasn't on Echoes. Keep in mind that the Xanadu soundtrack also has E.L.O. on it.
You don't have Dark Side of the Moon?!? Please, man, go get it right now!!!

(I prefer Wish You Were Here, but hell, Dark Side is absolutely required! :eek: )

JEDIpartner
09-14-2009, 02:53 PM
Everyone seems to be missing the 80s that occurred from 1985 onward!

How about:

How Will I Know or I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me) - Whitney Houston
Only in My Dreams - Deborah Gibson
Funkytown - Pseudo Echo
Living in a Box - Living in a Box
Heart and Soul - T'Pau
(I Just) Died in Your Arms - Cutting Crew
Alone, Never or These Dreams - Heart
This Time I Know It's for Real - Donna Summer
I Heard a Rumour - Bananarama
Wipeout - Fat Boys vs The Beach Boys
Push It - Salt'n'Pepa
Bust a Move - Young MC
It Takes Two - Rose Base
Two to Make a Thing Go Right - Seduction
Pump Up the Jam - Technotronic
Pump Up the Volume - M/A/R/R/S
Hungry Eyes - Eric Carmen
Nightshift - The Commodores
Money for Nothing - Dire Straits
Beyond Your Wildest Dreams - Moody Blues
I Can't Wait - Nu Shooz
Two of Hearts - Stacey Q
Point of No Return - Expose'

Mad Slanted Powers
09-14-2009, 08:23 PM
Scandal with Patty Smyth

Beat of a Heart was my favorite song. It rocked.
Check out that hair lol :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agbJXp42DuMI don't know if I heard that when it was new, but shortly after I moved into my house in 2003, I saw the video on VH1 Classic, and I eventually got the song on iTunes when I was finally able to access the store. I like it better than their big hits.

I liked the Crue early on in the 80's. Them and Hanoi Rocks and a few others were the beginnings of Glam Metal.Yes, I liked the first two or three Mötley Crüe albums. The Beavis & Butt-Head of my class used to play them on the bus. That's why I like Too Fast For Love so much. I finally got the CD a couple years ago or so.

After a while with bands that came later it just got obsurd.
I was glad when Teen Spirit came out and sounded the death nell for the posers.Agreed (and just to nitpick, italics are for album titles, with songs in quotes).

Other corporate bands of the 80's I liked at first like Journey and REO Speedwagon I soon got very sick of quickly. Though the girls liked them because of their sappy ballads. :rolleyes:I was never into REO, but when MTV had their 25th anniversary and replayed what they played that day, there was a lot of REO Speedwagon in the rotation. I started to develop a liking for "Take it on the Run". Journey was a band I was a bit more familiar with, and there are some of their songs that I haven't grown tired of. Agreed on the girl part. I remember my sister playing Escape, and she probably liked the slower songs better.

GNR was really kind of a holdover to the 90's I do believe. They Rocked.Yes, they stood out from the glam/hair metal, and fit in a bit better when the grunge scene came along.

You don't have Dark Side of the Moon?!? Please, man, go get it right now!!!

(I prefer Wish You Were Here, but hell, Dark Side is absolutely required! :eek: )I was thinking about it when the new version came out not too long ago. I guess the thing is that I don't care for the second side as much as the first (oops, forgot, CD's don't have sides).

Interesting story about it. I actually got a CD player before my brother did, but he did buy a CD before he had a player, and it was Dark Side of the Moon. I don't think he was a big Pink Floyd fan. I think he just got it based on reputation and figured it would be a good first CD to have. I borrowed it and that was the first time I listened to it. Okay, maybe it wasn't that interesting of a story.

Some comments in red on JP's list:

Everyone seems to be missing the 80s that occurred from 1985 onward!

How about:

How Will I Know or I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me) - Whitney Houston
Only in My Dreams - Deborah Gibson She was a cutie, I liked this tune
Funkytown - Pseudo Echo Why not stick with the original version?
Living in a Box - Living in a Box
Heart and Soul - T'Pau Got this one. Great tune, and the group is named after a Vulcan!
(I Just) Died in Your Arms - Cutting Crew
Alone, Never or These Dreams - Heart I prefer 70's Heart
This Time I Know It's for Real - Donna Summer
I Heard a Rumour - Bananarama I really like "Cruel Summer"
Wipeout - Fat Boys vs The Beach Boys
Push It - Salt'n'Pepa
Bust a Move - Young MC
It Takes Two - Rose Base
Two to Make a Thing Go Right - Seduction
Pump Up the Jam - Technotronic
Pump Up the Volume - M/A/R/R/S
Hungry Eyes - Eric Carmen
Nightshift - The Commodores
Money for Nothing - Dire Straits When I got my stereo and CD player for Christmas '85, this was one of the two CD's my brother got me. The way it built up at the beginning with Sting singing was great, and when that first guitar riff hit, that was incredible.
Beyond Your Wildest Dreams - Moody Blues [color=red]A good tune, but I like a lot of their older stuff better
I Can't Wait - Nu Shooz For some reason, I get this and T'Pau mixed up. I have to stop and think which band did which song.
Two of Hearts - Stacey Q
Point of No Return - Expose'

mabudonicus
09-15-2009, 11:13 AM
MANOWAR (debut 1981)
RAVEN
Bon Jovi
Saxon
Grim Reaper
Metallica
Motorhead (debut earlier but breakout in the 80's with Ace of Spades)
Helloween
MegaDeth
Exciter
Anvil
DIO
:beard: Iso&Baws&Topes
If you don't have an album by at least 4 of them on the list I am sorry for you, come back once you have made it right

DarthQuack
09-15-2009, 06:19 PM
I love 80's movie soundtracks.....just watched Back to School....Dead Man's Party.....Back to School....Any of the Revenge of the Nerds have some good tunes as well :P

Mad Slanted Powers
09-15-2009, 06:35 PM
MANOWAR (debut 1981)
RAVEN
Bon Jovi
Saxon
Grim Reaper
Metallica
Motorhead (debut earlier but breakout in the 80's with Ace of Spades)
Helloween
MegaDeth
Exciter
Anvil
DIO
:beard: Iso&Baws&Topes
If you don't have an album by at least 4 of them on the list I am sorry for you, come back once you have made it right

Sorry, the only album I have from these is ..And Justice For All by Metallica. I also have "For Whom the Bell Tolls" and "Master of Puppets" from iTunes. I also bought Dio's "Rainbow in the Dark" and "Holy Diver". I have an mp3 of Megadeth's "Peace Sells" that I got from the old Napster. I was going to buy it from iTunes just to have a proper copy, but it sounds different. Did remastering change it that much?

I think I have "Ace of Spades" that I downloaded from the old Napster, but it doesn't appear to be in my iTunes. I thought I had a preview set to buy in one of my wishlist playlists as well, but I don't see that anywhere either. I'll get that song someday.

Mad Slanted Powers
10-21-2009, 02:17 AM
The #1 songs of 1981:

"The Tide is High" - Blondie (1 week)
"Celebration" - Kool & The Gang (2 weeks)
"9 to 5" - Dolly Parton (2 weeks, but not in a row)
"I Love a Rainy Night" - Eddie Rabbit (2 weeks)
"Keep On Loving You" - REO Speedwagon (1 week)
"Rapture" - Blondie (2 weeks)
"Kiss On My List" - Daryl Hall & John Oates (3 weeks)
"Morning Train (Nine to Five)" - Sheena Easton (2 weeks)
"Bette Davis Eyes" - Kim Carnes (9 weeks, but not in a row)
"Medley: Intro 'Venus'" - Stars on 45 (1 week)
"The One That You Love" - Air Supply (1 week)
"Jessie's Girl" - Rick Springfield (2 weeks)
"Endless Love" - Diana Ross & Lionel Richie (9 weeks)
"Arthur's Theme (Best That You Can Do)" - Christopher Cross (3 weeks)
"Private Eyes" - Daryl Hall & John Oates (2 weeks)
"Physical" - Olivia Newton-John (10 weeks, which went into 1982)

Doesn't appear I have any of these tracks. Here are some 1981 tunes I've bought from iTunes (some may have been released in 1980, but were hits in 1981, such as the John Lennon tune):

"Sponji Reggae" - Black Uhuru - I found out not too long ago that this was the song in an episode of The Cosby Show when Denise and her boyfriend were on the couch watching TV, and he started getting a bit too much into the song.
"Girls On Film" - Duran Duran
"Ah! Leah!" - Donnie Iris
"Missed Again" - Phil Collins
"Watching The Wheels" - John Lennon
"Lunatic Fringe" - Red Rider
"Veteran of Psychic Wars" - Blue Öyster Cult - This was on the Heavy Metal soundtrack
"Sausalito Summernight" - Diesel
"My Girl (Gone, Gone, Gone) - Chilliwack
"Young Turks" - Rod Stewart
"Abacab" - Genesis (I incorrectly purchased the short version, and later purchased the long version)
"Harden My Heart" - Quarterflash

"On the Loose" by Saga also appears to be from a 1981 album, but it didn't chart until early 1983.

I have the following CD's from 1981:

Billy Squier - Don't Say No - Several tracks got a lot of airplay on the rock stations - "The Stroke", "In The Dark", & "My Kind Of Lover."
The Cars - Shake it Up - My favorite band at the time.
The Go-Go's - Beauty and the Beat - Good looking ladies, good sounding music. "This Town" is my favorite track from it.
J. Geils Band - Freeze Frame - This got a lot of play by both my brother and me.
Kraftwerk - Computer World - Electronic music pioneers.
Rush - Moving Pictures - One of the all time great albums.
Tom Tom Club - Tom Tom Club - Didn't know about this until a few years later. Side project of Chris Frantz and Tina Weymouth of Talking Heads.
Triumph - Allied Forces - Not the dog, the band from Canada

"Start Me Up" by the Rolling Stones was also from 1981, and I have that on the Forty Licks compilation. My brother had the first two Ozzy albums, the second of which, Diary of a Madman, was from 1981. I still have a taped copy of that I think.