PDA

View Full Version : Music by the Decade: 70s

Bel-Cam Jos
09-12-2009, 10:22 AM
Have a nice day! Or better yet, a nice decade. I don't even remember the songs from then, man... but maybe you do. Make a list, a groozy list, or the most neato songs from this age. I'll get to one later, myself. Wow...

Mad Slanted Powers
09-12-2009, 10:53 AM
A good percentage of the songs I've bought from iTunes have been songs from the 70's. I guess since I was born in 1970, I grew up hearing a lot of the music from then, so I have a wide range of stuff from country, to mellow pop, to hard rock. I'll post more details later.

dr_evazan22
09-12-2009, 11:35 AM
Fleetwood Mac, "Go Your Own Way", or just about anything from Rumors

I was a big Kiss fan back in the day. I'm not saying its their best song, but the disco influence does date it... "I Was Made For Loving You".

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-12-2009, 12:33 PM
The Beatles on their way out, Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin already going strong but getting better all the time . . . Queen starting out and getting massive. A lot of great stuff going on. To me, all these bands are pretty timeless, so they don't necessarily strike me as "70's bands".

Mad Slanted Powers
09-12-2009, 02:28 PM
Fleetwood Mac, "Go Your Own Way", or just about anything from Rumors

I was a big Kiss fan back in the day. I'm not saying its their best song, but the disco influence does date it... "I Was Made For Loving You".Yeah, I wasn't really familiar with the music of Kiss, though I saw them listed in the Columbia House catalog all the time. "I Was Made For Loving You" was the first time I actually became aware of a song by them, though in retrospect, I had probably heard "Beth" before then without knowing who did it.

Fleetwood Mac was a band whose music I had probably heard back in the 70's, but didn't know who the artist was. I do remember seeing Rumours in the record bins a lot, but based on the album cover, I didn't figure it would be something I would like. It came across to me as being something like folk, classical, or some old traditional songs or something, or I don't know what. By the early 80's I became aware of the songs they had on the chart then, like "Gypsy" and "Hold Me". In 1986, I was really liking the song "You Make Loving Fun", and while on a trip to Hong Kong, I picked up the Rumours CD there. On that same trip, I also picked up Queen's Greatest Hits, so a lot of great 70's songs on that one too.

Blue2th
09-12-2009, 10:38 PM
My favorite bands of the 70's were:

Led Zeppelin (every song every album THE BEST 70's band!)
Aerosmith ( every song every album excellent right up to Draw the Line sorry the later stuff just doesn't thrill me, just doesn't rock as good)
Foghat (Rock & Roll Outlaws & Fool for the City every song excellent!)
Kiss (Alive!)
Yes (Close to the Edge)
Genesis (Wind & Wuthering & And Then There Were Three)
Black Sabbath (Black Sabath & Paranoid)
Judas Priest (Hell bent for Leather)
Eagles (On the Border, One of These Nights & Hotel California)
Wishbone Ash (Argus & There's the Rub)

There's some real cheezy hits that I like from that era too.

Mad Slanted Powers
09-13-2009, 01:58 AM
"The Long and Winding Road" by The Beatles was the number one song the week I was born.

One of my earliest musical memories is of "Crocodile Rock" by Elton John. A lot of his 70's hits take me back to that time.

I remember liking "Ballroom Blitz" by Sweet, but it seemed it was popular for a short time and then forgotten. However, I think it was in 1984 on a trip to Seattle to pick up my dad at the airport when I heard the Krokus version in a Musicland store. That was a song I had not heard in a long time. My brother eventually got that Krokus album and I made a copy of it. A couple years later I bought the vinyl of Sweet's Desolation Boulevard while on our cross country team's annual trip up to Vancouver, B.C.

"Love Will Keep Us Together" by Captain & Tennille was big in 1975, and Boston's "More Than a Feeling" was a great tune from 1976. That debut album by Boston is one of the greatest albums of all time in my opinion.

I remember Foreigner's "Hot Blooded" being big in the summer of 1978. I was also beginning to discover more and more music at that time. My sister's first husband had a big record collection, and he gave my brother a bunch of cassette tapes he no longer wanted. One time when visiting my sister in Seattle, I was riding around with him in his car and the only tape he had was The Cars debut album. That was also one of the first two albums my brother got (that would be vinyl, as he already had a few tapes). I remember my brother and my mom coming home from town one day and he had that album and Blondie's Parallel Lines. Another early album that my brother got that was still in the 70's was Pat Benatar's debut In the Heat of the Night.

Some other prominent tunes for me in the late 70's. I recall seeing Rod Stewart perform "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?" on TV for a UNICEF benefit concert or something. "Renegade" by Styx was a song I liked, and thus I got the Pieces of Eight tape. I ended up liking "Blue Collar Man" even better. "The Logical Song" by Supertramp was big in 1979. "Sultans of Swing" was a song I sort of recalled, but later heard it and some of the rest of the Dire Straits debut album as it was in my brother-in-law's record collection. I didn't remember the rest of the album, but heard it years later when my brother played in while we were on the boat in Alaska. I still need to get that CD sometime.

Bachman-Turner Overdrive was a band my oldest brother was into, and one of the first two tapes I got was The Best of B.T.O. (So Far). The other tape was Out of the Blue by Electric Light Orchestra. One day I was at my uncle's house, and my cousin was playing a reel-to-reel tape and I heard the song "Turn to Stone." I thought it said "turn to stop" or something. I looked through the Columbia House catalog, checking each album that was available as a reel-to-reel for something that could be that song, and found "Turn to Stone" on Out of the Blue. E.L.O. had a lot of great tunes. I remember "Don't Bring Me Down" being big in 1979.

My oldest brother was also into ZZ Top. I wasn't really all that familiar with them prior to their big MTV hits in the 80's, but I prefer their 70's stuff, such as "La Grange" and "I'm Bad, I'm Nationwide."

I also remember my oldest brother playing "Iron Man" by Black Sabbath. I remember asking him to "play that scary song." The beginning certainly would sound a bit scary, since I was no older than 5 at the time. The thumping beat, followed by the pitch bending initial chord, and then the monstrous sounding vocals.

Paul McCartney's music from the 70's was the former Beatle music I remember the most. He had a lot of great tunes with or without Wings. "Band on the Run", "Jet", "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey", "Listen to What the Man Said," and "Silly Love Songs" to name a few. I think one time that "Listen to What the Man Said" was on the radio, my oldest brother said, "Listen to what the man said, and the man said shut up." I thought that was pretty funny.

There's some real cheezy hits that I like from that era too.Indeed. There are a lot of soft rock hits and one hit wonders that I like, many of which I've purchased through iTunes. Novelty songs like "Convoy" by C.W. McCall, and "The Streak" by Ray Stevens. We had that album Boogity Boogity on 8-Track. He had a lot of great funny songs, and that was a pretty good album.

How about "Lovin' You" by Minnie Riperton? She was the mother of Maya Rudolph. Unfortunately, Minnie died from breast cancer at age 31.

In the 70's my parents usually had the radio tuned to the country music station, so that is why I enjoy some of the old country music from the 70's and earlier, but don't much care for the modern stuff.

Background Character
09-13-2009, 05:23 AM
So many great bands have come out of the 70s. Many of which you guys have mentioned, but I couldn't let a thread about 70s music go by without the mention of Alice Cooper. I was just a kid when he was at the top of his game, but I really got into him in my teens. The showmanship, albums loaded with gimmicks and songs were just great.

Also, can't forget Pink Floyd.

Even the corporate/commercial put together bands of the day like Foreigner and Journey were good.

Also the start of the punk revolution with bands like the Ramones and Sex Pistols.

Ooh, then theres Iggy Pop. So much to say about this decade and music, it's just impossible to cover it all.

Blue2th
09-13-2009, 09:05 AM
Don't know how I missed Alice Cooper!

His albums were epic. My older brother's turned me on to Love it to Death & Killer Those were his finest IMO.
Not one dud song on either album.

I must say though that after he had split with his band and went on his own, the music wasn't as good. He was turning a more celebrity persona which he deserved, but gone were the long and very cool instrumental passages his very skilled bandmates had done right up to Billion Dollar Babies
Just listen to Dead Babies & Halo of Flies on Killer you'll hear what I mean.
You'd think he was a demented man, but those two songs are about neglected children and Spies.
Love it to Death has a theme of a man going insane through out.

Alice Cooper is very deep.

El Chuxter
09-13-2009, 12:24 PM
It's a travesty that Three Dog Night has not shown up yet. They were the biggest singles band of the decade, people, and they earned it!

Mad Slanted Powers
09-13-2009, 12:39 PM
It's a travesty that Three Dog Night has not shown up yet. They were the biggest singles band of the decade, people, and they earned it!
I purchased "Shambala" from iTunes, and should probably get "Joy to the World" as well. "One" is a good song. I have the Filter version from the soundtrack to the first X-Files movie.

I forgot to mention another tune as well, and I heard it on the radio yesterday as well. "Hair of the Dog" by Nazareth. "Love Hurts" may have been their one top 40 hit, but this was the song I was more familiar with. It rocked, had the talking guitar thing going on, as well as some cowbell, and it had the line, "Now you're messing with a son of a b*tch."

El Chuxter
09-13-2009, 02:14 PM
Just get Celebrate: The Three Dog Night Story. It's got all their hits, and all the major non-hits. (A lot of the non-single tracks are downright lousy, so I wouldn't recommend original albums unless you're a big fan.)

I was going to list all their really good tracks, but figured I'd run out of room. "Never Been to Spain" and "Play Something Sweet (Brickyard Blues)" are probably the two best. Most of their good tracks are covers; they weren't exactly known as songwriters, but they "broke" a lot of then-unknown writers to US audiences, like Elton John & Bernie Taupin, Harry Nilsson, and Laura Nyro.

Mad Slanted Powers
09-13-2009, 06:50 PM
The #1 songs of 1970 (blue = in my collection):

"Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head" - B.J. Thomas (4 weeks)
"I Want You Back" - The Jackson 5 (1 weeks)
"Venus" - The Shocking Blue (1 week)
"Thank You (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin)" - Sly & The Family Stone (2 weeks)
"Bridge Over Troubled Water" - Simon & Garfunkel (6 weeks)
"Let It Be" - The Beatles (2 weeks)
"ABC" - The Jackson 5 (2 weeks)
"American Woman" - The Guess Who (3 weeks)
"Everything Is Beautiful" - Ray Stevens (2 weeks)
"The Long and Winding Road" - The Beatles (2 weeks)
"The Love You Save" - The Jackson 5 (2 weeks)
"Mama Told Me (Not To Come) - Three Dog Night (2 weeks)
"(They Long To Be) Close To You" - The Carpenters (4 weeks)
"Make It With You" - Bread (1 week)
"War" - Edwin Starr (2 weeks)
"Ain't No Mountain High Enough" - Diana Ross (3 weeks)
"Cracklin' Rosie" - Neil Diamond (1 week)
"I'll Be There" - The Jackson 5 (5 weeks)
"I Think I Love You" - The Partridge Family (3 weeks)
"The Tears of a Clown" - Smokey Robinson & The Miracles (2 weeks)
"My Sweet Lord" - George Harrison (4 weeks)

So, George Harrison was the first Beatle to have a solo #1, though John Lennon charted at #3 earlier in the year with "Instant Karma! (We All Shine On)".

Some other great tunes from 1970 that are in my collection:

"Funk #49" - James Gang (Joe Walsh!)
"Vehicle" - Ides of March (I heard this in a commercial a couple years ago and thought it was Blood Sweat & Tears)
"O-o-h Child" - The Five Stairsteps"
"In the Summertime" - Mungo Jerry (I don't think the line "Have a drink, have a drive" would be appropriate to say these days)
"All Right Now" - Free (two would go on to form Bad Company)
"Fire and Rain" - James Taylor

Santana's Abraxas album came out later in the year, which had the two hits "Black Magic Woman" and "Oye Como Va". Interesting. I knew that "Black Magic Woman" was a cover of an early Fleetwood Mac song, bu I just now discovered that "Oye Como Va" was a cover of a Tito Puente song.

Mad Slanted Powers
10-19-2009, 02:03 AM
Wow, it's been two months since we've touched this thread. Didn't seem quite that long.

The #1 songs of 1971:

"Knock Three Times" - Dawn (3 weeks)
"One Bad Apple" - The Osmonds (5 weeks)
"Me And Bobby McGee" - Janis Joplin (2 weeks)
"Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me) - The Temptations (2 weeks) They just played a show here.
"Joy To The World" - Three Dog Night (6 weeks)
"Brown Sugar" - The Rolling Stones (2 weeks)
"Want Ads" - The Honey Cone (1 week)
"It's Too Late" - Carole King (5 weeks)
"Indian Reservation" - Raiders (1 week)
"You've Got A Friend" - James Taylor (1 week)
"How Can You Mend A Broken Heart" - The Bee Gees (4 weeks)
"Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey" - Paul & Linda McCartney (1 week)
"Go Away Little Girl" - Donny Osmond (3 weeks)
"Maggie May" - Rod Stewart (5 weeks)
"Gypsys, Tramps & Thieves" - Cher (2 weeks)
"Theme From Shaft" - Isaac Hayes (2 weeks)
"Family Affair" - Sly & The Family Stone (3 weeks)
"Brand New Key" - Melanie (3 weeks)

I have the ones in blue, and have "Joy to the World", "Theme From Shaft" and "Brand New Key" on my list of songs to get. Some other 1971 songs I have include:

"Amos Moses" - Jerry Reed - love the guitar, plus it's kind of funny
"If You Could Read My Mind" - Gordon Lightfoot
"Wild World" - Cat Stevens
"Aqualung" & "Locomotive Breath" - Jethro Tull
"Walk Away" - James Gang - Joe Walsh left the band after this group
"The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" - Joan Baez - cover of The Band's song
"I'd Love to Change the World" - Ten Years After - Is the song embracing the hippies or mocking them? Either way, a good tune.

1971 also saw the release of Led Zeppelin IV. Don't have the actual album, but have all the tracks between the two box sets I have.

Mad Slanted Powers
10-21-2009, 01:24 AM
Wow, it's been two months since we've touched this thread. Didn't seem quite that long.That's because it was only a little over a month you doofus.

Mad Slanted Powers
12-17-2009, 12:34 AM
#1 songs of 1972

"American Pie - Parts I & II" - Don McLean (4 weeks)
"Let's Stay Together" - Al Green (1 week)
"Without You" - Nilsson (4 weeks)
"Heart Of Gold" - Neil Young (1 week)
"A Horse With No Name" - America (3 weeks)
"The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face" - Roberta Flack (6 weeks)
"Oh Girl" - Chi-Lites (1 week)
"I'll Take You There" - The Staple Singers (1 week)
"The Candy Man" - Sammy Davis, Jr. (3 weeks)
"Song Sung Blue" - Neil Diamond (1 week)
"Lean On Me" - Bill Withers (3 weeks)
"Alone Again (Naturally)" - Gilbert O'Sullivan (6 weeks, but not in a row)
"Brandy (You're A Fine Girl)" - Looking Glass (1 week)
"Black & White" - Three Dog Night (1 week)
"Baby Don't Get Hooked On Me" - Mac Davis (3 weeks)
"Ben" - Michael Jackson (1 week)
"My Ding-A-Ling" - Chuck Berry (2 weeks)
"I Can See Clearly Now" - Johnny Nash (4 weeks)
"Papa Was A Rollin' Stone" - The Temptations (1 week)
"I Am Woman" - Helen Reddy (1 week)
"Me And Mrs. Jones" - Billy Paul (3 weeks)

Some other 1972 songs I bought from iTunes:

"Hold Your Head Up" - Argent
"Starman" - David Bowie (it wasn't on the 2 disc collection I bought)
"Doctor My Eyes" - Jackson Browne
"School's Out" - Alice Cooper
"The City Of New Orleans" - Arlo Guthrie
"Long Cool Woman (In A Black Dress)" - The Hollies
"Popcorn" - Hot Butter
"Garden Party" - Rick Nelson & The Stone Canyon Band
"Go All The Way" - The Raspberries
"Summer Breeze" - Seals & Crofts
"Bang A Gong (Get It On)" - T. Rex
"Roundabout" - Yes

El Chuxter
12-17-2009, 08:56 AM
You don't have "American Pie"? Isn't that against forum rules, the Geneva Convention, and the Book of Habakkuk? :p

Mad Slanted Powers
12-17-2009, 09:40 AM
You don't have "American Pie"? Isn't that against forum rules, the Geneva Convention, and the Book of Habakkuk? :p

I think iTunes only has it available as "Album Only", or I might have bought it by now.