PDA

View Full Version : Music by the Decade: The 60s

El Chuxter
09-12-2009, 11:01 AM
Same rules as Bel-Cam Jos' threads on the other decades. It just seemed discriminatory to not include one of rock's greatest decades.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-12-2009, 11:44 AM
The Beatles, obviously. Led Zeppelin's first two albums came out then, and were pretty great. Pink Floyd had some good stuff, but were much better a decade later. Throw in Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, Simon & Garfunkel, and Bob Dylan, and there ya go.

Mad Slanted Powers
09-12-2009, 11:20 PM
I was born in 1970, so I missed the 60's. My earliest exposure to The Beatles was probably their earlier stuff. As for other 60's music, I got a bit of an education when my brother got a History of British Rock tape. That's where I heard such great songs as "Layla" by Derek & The Dominos, "Sunshine of Your Love" by Cream, "You Really Got Me" by The Kinks, "Wild Thing" by The Troggs, "A World Without Love" by Peter and Gordon, "In the Summertime" by Mungo Jerry and "Pictures of Matchstick Men" by Status Quo. Of course, "Layla" and "In the Summertime" were from the 70's, so those aren't applicable to this thread.

Even back then, it was hard to get Beatles tracks by means other than buying a Beatles album. The only Beatles song on this compilation was "Ain't She Sweet". That's still one of the few Beatles songs you can get on iTunes. The compilation also had "Michelle", but it was performed by David and Jonathan. Peter and Gordon's "A World Without Love" was also a song written by Paul McCartney.

There was a Fleetwood Mac song on this compilation, and the song was "Black Magic Woman." I remember quizzing my brother-in-law at the time to name the artists on the tape, and he said Santana. So, I had heard this one before I became familiar with Santana's version.

Christmas of 1977, my brother got a radio/tape player and a couple of tapes. They were Best of the Beach Boys Vol. 1 and The Monkees Greatest Hits. It was probably around that time when the local TV station started showing Monkees reruns after school. So, those two groups were pretty big for me in the mid to late 70's. Sometime in the late 70's I also got a Goofy Greats album that had a lot of hits from the 60's. "Snoopy vs. The Red Baron" (Royal Guardsmen), "Mah Na Ma Na" (Piero Umiliani), "Bread and Butter" (The Newbeats), "Green Tambourine" (Lemon Pipers), "Mr. Custer" (Larry Verne), "Yummy Yummy Yummy" (Ohio Express), "1 2 3 Red Light" (1910 Fruitgum Company), and "Surfin' Bird" (The Trashmen). Don't you know about the bird? Everybody knows that the bird is the word.

One of my favorite 60's tunes would be "Magic Carpet Ride" by Steppenwolf. I prefer it to "Born to be Wild." CCR had some good stuff in the late 60's, "Green River" being my favorite.

A Canadian station CFMI used to have a program called Discumentary. I learned about a lot of bands from listening to that in the early 80's. A lot of the details didn't stick with me at the time, but I remember hearing programs about The Doors, Buffalo Springfield and Blood Sweat & Tears. At that point in time, I had no visual reference for The Doors, so when I learned more about them in later years and then saw the movie, Jim Morrison was nothing like the impression I got from listening to a song like "L.A. Woman." It wasn't until 3 years ago figured out the name of the Buffalo Springfield song "Rock 'n Roll Woman." I wasn't sure who did it. I listened to samples of Crosby, Stills, Nash (& Young) and their solo works, as well as Buffalo Springfield, before I finally found it.

Of course, the 60's aren't complete without the Rolling Stones. I prefer "Jumping Jack Flash" to "Satisfaction."

I wasn't really familiar with the work of The Who until I heard "Who Are You?" I remember watching an afterschool special or something where a teenage girl found herself in the past. At first she didn't realize she was in the past, and was asking this girl (who turned out to be her mother) about music she had, and it was all old uncool stuff. She then asked about a few artists, including The Who, to which her mother responded "The Who?" All I knew about at that time was The Guess Who. Eventually I learned more about The Who. I used to leave my radio on at night sometimes back in my junior high and high school days. I recall having a dream where I was playing "Won't Get Fooled Again" at a school talent show or something, and then I woke up and that song was playing on the radio.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-13-2009, 08:38 AM
I considered including a '60s thread (heck, I even considered a '30s one, too :p ), but it would only have been a vague memory or songs I've heard on the radio/records before. Then with that in mind, I'll go back in time even further...

But for this thread, once I think it through more, these artists definitely would have songs included:
The Beatles
Bob Dylan
The Beach Boys
Steppenwolf
The Rolling Stones
The Mamas & the Papas
CCR

Plus others.

Mad Slanted Powers
09-13-2009, 05:15 PM
The #1 songs of 1960:

"El Paso" - Marty Robbins (2 weeks)
"Running Bear" - Johnny Preston (3 weeks)
"Teen Angel" - Mark Dinning (2 weeks)
"The Theme From 'A Summer Place'" - Percy Faith (9 weeks)
"Stuck on You" - Elvis Presley (4 weeks)
"Cathy's Clown" - The Everly Brothers (5 weeks)
"Everybody's Somebody's Fool" - Connie Francis (2 weeks)
"Alley-Oop" - Hollywood Argyles (1 week)
"I'm Sorry" - Brenda Lee (3 weeks)
"Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polkadot Bikini" - Brian Hyland (1 weeks)
"It's Now Or Never" - Elvis Presley (5 weeks)
"The Twist" - Chubby Checker (1 week)
"My Heart Has a Mind of Its Own" - Connie Francis (2 weeks)
"Mr. Custer" - Larry Verne (1 week)
"Save The Last Dance For Me" - The Drifters (3 weeks)
"I Want To Be Wanted" - Brenda Lee (1 week)
"Georgia On My Mind" - Ray Charles (1 week)
"Stay" - Maurice Williams & The Zodiacs (1 week)
"Are You Lonesome Tonight?" - Elvis Presley (6 weeks)

Three novelty songs with "Alley-Oop", "Itsy Bitsy..." and "Mr. Custer", but only at number 1 a week a piece. Those three are on that old Goofy Greats album I have. Other than that, the only songs from this bunch that I have are "El Paso", which I got from iTunes, and the three Elvis tracks from 30 #1 Hits.

Mad Slanted Powers
10-11-2009, 01:02 AM
The #1 songs of 1961:

"Wonderland by Night" - Bert Kaempfert (3 weeks)
"Will You Love Me Tomorrow" - The Shirelles (2 weeks)
"Calcutta" - Lawrence Welk (2 weeks)
"Pony Time" - Chubby Checker (3 weeks)
"Surrender" - Elvis Presley (2 weeks)
"Blue Moon" - The Marcels (3 weeks)
"Runaway" - Del Shannon (4 weeks)
"Mother-In-Law" - Ernie K-Doe (1 week)
"Travelin ' Man" - Ricky Nelson (2 weeks)
"Running Scared" - Roy Orbison (1 week)
"Moody River" - Pat Boone (1 week)
"Quarter To Three" - U.S. Bonds (2 weeks)
"Tossin' And Turnin'" - Bobby Lewis (7 weeks)
"Wooden Heart" - Joe Dowell (1 week)
"Michael" - The Highwaymen (2 weeks)
"Take Good Care Of My Baby" - Bobby Vee (3 weeks)
"Hit The Road Jack" - Ray Charles (2 weeks)
"Runaround Sue" - Dion (2 weeks)
"Big Bad John" - Jimmy Dean (5 weeks)
"Please Mr. Postman" - The Marvelettes (1 weeks)
"The Lion Sleeps Tonight" - The Tokens (3 weeks)

Several of these I had to look up and listen to clips because I wasn't familiar with them. I only own three - "Surrender" on the Elvis Presley 30 #1 Hits disc I have, "Big Bad John" that I bought from iTunes, and "The Lion Sleeps Tonight", from a Goofy Greats LP I have. I'm not even sure if I am familiar with "Surrender", as it isn't one of the big Elvis hits that I remember.

JimJamBonds
10-11-2009, 02:46 PM
"Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polkadot Bikini" - Brian Hyland (1 week)

Wow, hard to believe it was only number one for one week. Talk about a 1 hit wonder. :D

Mad Slanted Powers
10-11-2009, 03:04 PM
Wow, hard to believe it was only number one for one week. Talk about a 1 hit wonder. :D

But it lives forever in commercials and videos about crossdressing shown in California schools.

JimJamBonds
10-15-2009, 08:54 AM
But it lives forever in commercials and videos about crossdressing shown in California schools.

Wha???? I'd like to see that. :p

Mad Slanted Powers
10-19-2009, 12:31 AM
Wha???? I'd like to see that. :p

Just search for Crossdress California School Video and you should find what I was referring to. The discussion of that is probably best left for the Rancor Pit.

El Chuxter
10-19-2009, 01:37 AM
Y'know, while some schools might show such a video, I can confirm with 100% accuracy that it's not shown in all, or even most, California schools.

Mad Slanted Powers
12-16-2009, 11:03 PM
#1 Songs of 1962

"The Twist" - Chubby Checker (2 weeks) (was also #1 back in 1960)
"The Peppermint Twist" - Joe Dee & the Starliters (3 weeks)
"Duke Of Earl" - Gene Chandler (3 weeks)
"Hey! Baby" - Bruce Channel (3 weeks)
"Don't Break The Heart That Loves You" - Connie Francis (1 week)
"Johnny Angel" - Shelley Fabares (2 weeks)
"Good Luck Charm" - Elvis Presley (2 weeks)
"Soldier Boy" - The Shirelles (3 weeks)
"Stranger On The Shore" - Mr. Acker Bilk (1 week)
"I Can't Stop Loving You" - Ray Charles (5 weeks)
"The Stripper" - David Rose (1 week)
"Rose Are Red (My Love)" - Bobby Vinton (4 weeks)
"Breaking Up Is Hard To Do" - Neil Sedaka (2 weeks)
"The Loco-Motion" - Little Eva (1 week)
"Sheila" - Tommy Roe (2 weeks)
"Sherry" - The 4 Seasons (5 weeks)
"Monster Mash" - Bobby "Boris" Pickett & The Crypt-Kickers (2 weeks)
"He's A Rebel" - The Crystals (2 weeks)
"Big Girls Don't Cry" - The 4 Seasons (5 weeks)
"Telstar" - The Tornadoes (3 weeks)

Whole lotta twistin' going on in 1962, and The 4 Seasons had the #1 spot for 10 weeks. Also, three instrumentals reached the top spot ("Stranger on the Shore", "The Stripper", and "Telstar"). The only ones I have are Elvis and "Monster Mash".