PDA

View Full Version : Star Tours II: 2011!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-12-2009, 03:00 PM
Finally, some confirmation! (http://www.prnewswire.com/mnr/disneyland/40057/) It will be in 3D, at both California and Florida, in 2011.

Re-Imagined "Star Tours" Coming to California and Florida in 2011 and Major Fantasyland Expansion at Walt Disney World Scheduled for 2013

ANAHEIM, Calif. (Sept. 12, 2009) /PRNewswire/ — Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Chairman Jay Rasulo detailed plans for future lands, attractions and adventures that will be delighting Disney guests for years to come, at the first D23 Expo. Most notable among the announcements were the confirmation of an all-new Star Tours attraction and the largest expansion in the history of the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World.

"Storytelling is the DNA of Disney dreams and we're always exploring new ways to tell new stories in new places," Rasulo told a crowd at the Anaheim Convention Center in California before taking them on a "behind-the-magic" tour of their favorite Disney destinations.

Rasulo announced that a new 3-D version of the tremendously-popular "Star Tours" attraction will debut at the Disneyland Resort and Disney's Hollywood Studios in 2011. Based on the iconic Lucasfilm "Star Wars" films, the attraction will include immersive new elements that will take guests to many familiar places in the Star Wars galaxy.
There's a podracing clip on the page, perhaps confirming the old speculation that it would involve the podrace . . . but the "many familiar places" bit leads me to believe we'll see more as well. The CGI looks a little cheap so hopefully it will be better when it's final (I assume it will). I can't wait!

Maerj2000
09-12-2009, 05:00 PM
Its been rumored that this new version will also feature 20 different beginnings, middles and endings to increase re-rideability. This will be pretty cool!

Now if they would only put in a Mos Eisley Cantina Restaurant next to it!

JediTricks
09-12-2009, 05:33 PM
I'm thrilled, but hoping it has NOTHING to do with Podracing, that'd be such a cop-out, it'd look silly to have a Starspeeder 3000 next to a bunch of podracers. Still, I'll take whatever I can get, but I do hope they'll keep the original, I love that sucker, it just needs to be fixed up (the monitors aren't properly calibrated on the right, and the films are losing their picture quality).

Maerj2000
09-12-2009, 06:49 PM
I'm thrilled, but hoping it has NOTHING to do with Podracing, that'd be such a cop-out, it'd look silly to have a Starspeeder 3000 next to a bunch of podracers. Still, I'll take whatever I can get, but I do hope they'll keep the original, I love that sucker, it just needs to be fixed up (the monitors aren't properly calibrated on the right, and the films are losing their picture quality).

Uhhh, I guess you didn't see the video then. Its a podracing segment. But as I said, if it really has 20 different versions of the beginning, middle and ending, I'm sure then that its going to be going to many different Star Wars worlds.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-12-2009, 07:15 PM
I only have two words: FINALLY! (hey, if they can go 20+ years without updating, I can stiff the readers a word)

Rocketboy
09-12-2009, 09:59 PM
I guess I need to get my butt back to Florida and see the original Star Tours before its too late!

DarkArtist
09-13-2009, 09:45 AM
I have mixed feling about this actually... while i love the fact that we are getting an updated 3D ride featuring the Pod Races (which has been rumored for years since the release of TPM) I'm also sorta of sad that we will be losing the orginal ride as well. my favorite sequence is the meteor shower followed by being captured by the Star Destroyer.

i just wonder if they are oing to release new merchandise since the ride is going to be new...looks like the Starspeeder has new colorings so i'm guessing a repaint is in the works. Wonder if Rex is still going to be the pilot and if they are going to change the overall outside of the ride to refelct more of Tatoonie instead of Endor ?

all in all guess I'll be planning a trip for hopefully opening weekend in 2011 whent he ride opens....

I too would love to see a Cantina themed restaurant next to it as well.....

Bel-Cam Jos
09-13-2009, 09:51 AM
One good thing about our school district started so darn early, is that we'll be done with school just before Memorial Day weekend, so I am planning on a Disneyworld and Florida trip (to catch the SW Weekends and other things in the area) next year. Can't wait to say, "Now THIS is podracing!" there. Okay, I can wait to say it... :rolleyes:

El Chuxter
09-13-2009, 12:26 PM
If Teek is removed from the pre-flight video, and a crazed man shouting, "Viva Teek!" blows up Disneyland, well, that's why I would not be posting for a while. :)

Bel-Cam Jos
09-22-2009, 08:29 AM
Of course, 2011 and 2010 aren't the same years, and if I vacation in FL next year, it'll be a LOOOOOONG wait for the new version for me. I'm patient. :pleased:

It'd be cool if a pit droid was our "first time" pilot, and only an astromech translated his droid squeaks on a screen.

JediTricks
09-22-2009, 04:29 PM
I saw the pictures of Podracing, but since they have no actual new footage yet, I'm hoping that's just an example, not an actual choice.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-24-2010, 11:09 PM
The Disney blog (http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/09/these-are-the-droids-you%E2%80%99re-looking-for/) updated with pictures of two new droids. The pilot Ace looks a bix like Rex, but with a strange humanoid body. It says he can't be more different from Rex. Aly San San, played (oddly enough) by Allison Janney, is a WA-4 spokesdroid. Ace looks kind of weird, but I like that they're keeping the garish 1980's blue-and-orange color scheme. :D

Bel-Cam Jos
09-24-2010, 11:12 PM
Well, the Rex droid who captains the ST-3000 would likely be confused with the Captain Rex clone. I wonder if the flight will be his first flight, too? :nevertellmetheodds:

JediTricks
09-24-2010, 11:30 PM
Ugh, I have a VERY bad feeling about this. They're both CGI just reeking of prequel awfulness. And the new captain's body is a really weird proportion.

Maerj2000
09-25-2010, 10:31 AM
The Disney blog (http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/09/these-are-the-droids-you%E2%80%99re-looking-for/) updated with pictures of two new droids. The pilot Ace looks a bix like Rex, but with a strange humanoid body. It says he can't be more different from Rex. Aly San San, played (oddly enough) by Allison Janney, is a WA-4 spokesdroid. Ace looks kind of weird, but I like that they're keeping the garish 1980's blue-and-orange color scheme. :D

So I guess the waitress droid will be replacing the lady in the preshow video? That'll work pretty well.

Its pretty cool that they are still using the head and neck of the old Rex droid. The proportions ae a bit odd on him but maybe he'll be sitting in a cockpit the whole time and no one will notice?

I'm looking forward to the 3 3/4 scale Starspeeder toy that they are coming out with next year. Def got to get one of those, it can double as a carrying case for figures!

JediTricks
09-25-2010, 04:49 PM
The original is not an "old" Rex Droid, in this case it's a "future" Rex Droid since Star Tours II takes place in the prequel era, everything old is new again. The ship is now a Starspeeder 1000 instead of 3000, and they podrace instead of doing something even remotely interesting.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-25-2010, 04:50 PM
The original is not an "old" Rex Droid, in this case it's a "future" Rex Droid since Star Tours II takes place in the prequel era, everything old is new again. The ship is now a Starspeeder 1000 instead of 3000, and they podrace instead of doing something even remotely interesting.
The blog post seems to state that, while podracing was going to be the focus several years ago, they've moved away from it. I'm sure it'll still be in there, in at least one of the versions of the ride, but not the only thing.

Maerj2000
09-26-2010, 01:58 PM
Yes, even on the Disney message boards everyone for some reason keeps thinking that the entire ride will be pod racing. It won't. It will still be a tour of multiple Star Wars planets. In fact the ride is supposed to have multiple beginnnings, middles, and endings. Pod Racing will be one of many options.

JediTricks
09-27-2010, 10:41 PM
They think that because Lucas and Disney have been using that imagery for so long, and the idea bothers them that it'll be in there at all because it was fairly forced in TPM to begin with.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-28-2010, 01:00 AM
This page (http://micechat.com/forums/blogs/dateline-disneyland/1630-destination-d-let-memories-begin-california-construction-hotel-work-more.html) says that there will be 54 different ride possibilities when it opens. The hell? I really wonder how they came up with that number, as I can't imagine them making 54 individual ride films. Maybe there are a few different openings and endings, or they might be including pre-show stuff as well. Who knows.

figrin bran
09-28-2010, 01:22 AM
This page (http://micechat.com/forums/blogs/dateline-disneyland/1630-destination-d-let-memories-begin-california-construction-hotel-work-more.html) says that there will be 54 different ride possibilities when it opens. The hell? I really wonder how they came up with that number, as I can't imagine them making 54 individual ride films. Maybe there are a few different openings and endings, or they might be including pre-show stuff as well. Who knows.

Speculation is that there are different beginning, middle and endings and so I take that to mean 54 different combinations will be possible.

DarkJedi5
09-28-2010, 02:42 AM
Speculation is that there are different beginning, middle and endings and so I take that to mean 54 different combinations will be possible.

That would suggest something between 3 and 4 different beginnings, middles and endings. If it's broken down into 4 segments it would be something like 3 different beginnings, 3 different middle part A, 3 different middle part B, and 2 different endings (or some combination thereof). I like the idea myself. I always like to do Star Tours a few times but it loses its luster after the second ride cause there's nothing new to it. I am a little apprehensive about the 3D thing though. I mean, the muppets show at California Adventure and the Bugs Life thing both use 3D and it's less than stellar.

JediTricks
09-28-2010, 04:45 PM
Indiana Jones & the Temple of the Forbidden Eye does it by having 1 of 3 different room facades to drive into, and then it varies dialogue in 2 more key locations along the way, so it's a "branching" ride. For them to get to 54 choices out of Star Tours, it'd have to be broken down into 4 parts, with 3 of them being one of 3 branches and another of them being 2 branches (3x3x3x2=54). That said, I doubt the changes will be as big as you guys expect, I bet there will be 3 main branches and then light variety in dialogue at key locations afterward, and 2 different endings.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-02-2011, 08:06 PM
The Maker himself (http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/02/george-lucas-visits-star-tours-at-disneyland-park/), along with Rick McCallum, recently visited the Disneyland Star Tours to check on its progress. The page has a photo of the animatronic C-3PO from the cabin - he looks a bit on the matte side, but still, I'm glad there's going to be an actual C-3PO instead of just a video.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-11-2011, 06:04 PM
I use the ol' double-post to bring you the "stars" of Star Tours (http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/02/the-stars-of-star-tours/). The new ride will involve, in some capacity, C-3PO, R2-D2, Darth Vader, stormtroopers, new skytroopers, Boba Fett, Yoda, Admiral Ackbar, Princess Leia, and (they say maybe, but who knows why) Chewbacca. I remember rumors about Boba and Yoda being involved a while back, so there's your confirmation. I wonder how they'll all be involved, especially younger characters like Boba and Leia. This probably means that it'll be closer to ANH than ROTS. But how they have Leia? In voice only, or something? That's pretty crazy.

JediTricks
02-11-2011, 06:56 PM
Geez, sounds like they're going to be pulling a The Force Unleashed with this.

I've promoted your post to news article, and given it a little editing to fit the news formatting a little more.

Maerj2000
02-12-2011, 09:13 AM
I use the ol' double-post to bring you the "stars" of Star Tours (http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/02/the-stars-of-star-tours/). The new ride will involve, in some capacity, C-3PO, R2-D2, Darth Vader, stormtroopers, new skytroopers, Boba Fett, Yoda, Admiral Ackbar, Princess Leia, and (they say maybe, but who knows why) Chewbacca. I remember rumors about Boba and Yoda being involved a while back, so there's your confirmation. I wonder how they'll all be involved, especially younger characters like Boba and Leia. This probably means that it'll be closer to ANH than ROTS. But how they have Leia? In voice only, or something? That's pretty crazy.

I think that they will have a younger actress playing Leia, as it is supposed to take place at some point before A New Hope. My only issue so far tho is Star Tours going to Dagobah to see Yoda. Yoda is supposed to be hiding at the time so it wouldn't make sense to have tour groups going to see him. Second, R2 will be with you so he'll be going there as well. But who knows?

JediTricks
02-12-2011, 04:17 PM
Young Leia, I hope they get someone who does a good job sounding like her. The actress in The Force Unleashed voices Padme on Clone Wars, she did a good job in TFU1 but not so great in TFU2.

What's this about 3PO taking over piloting the speeder, replacing Ace? I hadn't heard about that before, just read it yesterday.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-11-2011, 12:57 AM
This page (http://www.insidethemagic.net/2011/03/disney-reveals-new-star-tours-2-image-featuring-the-death-star-boba-fetts-ship-chasing-starspeeder-1000/) revealed a new image of the Slave I (in ESB, post-Hondo Ohnaka reconstruction colors) chasing the Starspeeder 1000 while the half-constructed Death Star looms in the background. The planet looks like it could be Geonosis, given the coloring and asteroids; it would also make sense for them to construct the Death Star near there given the connection shown in AOTC. Looks pretty sweet!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-02-2011, 02:57 PM
I'll just continue in here, posting information for no one. :p

The destinations list (http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/04/star-tours-where-in-the-galaxy-are-we-going/) was revealed today, and it includes Tatooine, Coruscant, Kashyyyk, Hoth, Naboo, and Geonosis, which as the picture teased, has the Death Star nearby. Whether or not we ever actually get there is another story, but given how the last tour went, I'm assuming it won't all go completely smoothly. :p

Maerj2000
04-02-2011, 08:45 PM
I really wish I could go there for SW Weekends and the grand opening of this. Disney World is the one thing that I love as much as SW but we don't have the money to go there this year. =( Hopefully whoever is able to make it can take some video for the rest of us. I also hope to be able to get the figure sets, maybe a t-shirt and poster. There has been rumor that there will also be a 3 3/4 scale Starspeeder toy that figures will actually be able to fit into. Obviously I would love to have one of those as well.

Maradona
04-03-2011, 11:33 AM
I wish Star Wars Weekends would apply to Disneyland. I never understood why it was confined to Florida. Despite this, I'll be at DL in June to ride this.

JediTricks
04-03-2011, 02:51 PM
I'll just continue in here, posting information for no one. :p

The destinations list (http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2011/04/star-tours-where-in-the-galaxy-are-we-going/) was revealed today, and it includes Tatooine, Coruscant, Kashyyyk, Hoth, Naboo, and Geonosis, which as the picture teased, has the Death Star nearby. Whether or not we ever actually get there is another story, but given how the last tour went, I'm assuming it won't all go completely smoothly. :p

I'm still interested in this stuff. And I'm going to promote your article to news, with some rewrites to make it more news-friendly.

Ya crybaby. :p

And yes, Disney is doing a 3.75" figure Starspeeder 1000 toy, it's not a 1:1 design, less rows and doors, and it's not being done by Hasbro supposedly (I'm not sure if I believe their answer on that or not), but there is imagery out there of it.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-03-2011, 04:12 PM
I'm still interested in this stuff. And I'm going to promote your article to news, with some rewrites to make it more news-friendly.

Ya crybaby. :p

And yes, Disney is doing a 3.75" figure Starspeeder 1000 toy, it's not a 1:1 design, less rows and doors, and it's not being done by Hasbro supposedly (I'm not sure if I believe their answer on that or not), but there is imagery out there of it.

Thanks. You've made this crybaby cry just a little less. :D

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-11-2011, 05:44 PM
The crybaby strikes again! There's not a ton of new information here, but there was some fun tidbits. This is from a link (http://disney.go.com/disneyfans/insider/article/20110510?cmp=dcom_EMC_ins_disney_insider_110510_MA-ReadMore__Extl) sent out in a Disney e-mail:

Countdown to an All-New Star Tours
Star Wars™ fans will reel in intergalactic ecstasy when the newly renovated Star Tours – The Adventures Continue attraction storms Disney's Hollywood Studios May 20 and Disneyland Resort June 3. Lovers of Jedi and Sith lords are in for a double dose of droid-tastic adventure as the first grand opening is scheduled during the first of this year's four consecutive Star Wars Weekends at Walt Disney World Resort. Dust off your lightsabers kids ... it's time for take-off!

Imagineer Tom Fitzgerald, who worked on the original Star Tours back in the mid '80s, talks about re-imagining the new show. "We actually began planning the redesign over 10 years ago ... a year before Episode I was complete. Fans were eager to see some changes, but after learning that Episodes II and III were in the works, we decided the update would have to wait. In order to create the ultimate Star Wars attraction for our Parks, George [Lucas] needed to finish his saga so we could include the best of all the films."

Waiting may have been difficult, but transforming six full-length movies into a four-and-a-half-minute, fully-immersive ride presented other challenges for Tom's team. "Because of time-period differences (the new attraction is a prequel to the original), we had to reverse-engineer our story, as well as the look of the Starspeeders." The chronologically correct Starspeeder 1000 (formerly 3000) now features upgraded interior dashboards and onboard monitors so everything looks, sounds, and feels better than ever – even the color scheme was updated.

Technology played a crucial part in all the renovations, but Tom points out some of the most significant advances, starting with the branching storyline. "For the very first time, we utilized technology that selects one of 54 different story combinations so each ride's really a surprise. Guests never know where they'll go. We created this approach to keep it fresh for our enormous fan base. It's a huge change from the original show."

Two other key differences – the 3D factor and increased range of the motion simulator – were also technology driven, as Tom explains. "We wanted to add 3D for years, but had to wait for projection equipment that was robust enough to make it look state-of-the-art. Advanced visual effects make the world totally dimensional and so much more realistic than before. It's absolutely breathtaking." Imagineers worked closely with Lucasfilm's Industrial Light & Magic team, who produced all the video footage for the main show as well as most of the pre-show.

Enhanced motion programming makes for a more unique experience as Guests are whisked off to a variety of new locations, including Tatooine, Hoth, Naboo, Coruscant, the mysterious Wookiee planet Kashyyyk and even a Death Star under construction. "It'll feel very different from the first show, which only featured space flight. We've added a desert pod race, underwater travel, sliding on ice, and careening through forests while smashing into trees. Some adventures will be planet-based, some space, but each ride will feel distinct because Guests won't know which story combination they're getting."

Many more characters have been incorporated into the new show, with appearances by fan favorites like Darth Vader, Admiral Ackbar, Princess Leia, Boba Fett, Chewbacca, R2-D2, Yoda, C-3PO and Jar Jar Binks. "Darth Vader's voiceover was recorded by the original actor. It was also great working with Anthony Daniels and Frank Oz, who reprised their roles as C-3PO and Yoda respectively."

Tom goes on to tell us how one of the brand-new characters – a spokesbot seen in the pre-show commercials and safety video – was named. "Aly San San came about because we couldn't think of anything and knew George [Lucas] was amazing with names. When we told him actress Allison Janney was doing the voiceover work, he instantly said, 'Aly San San.'"

In fact, collaborating with the creator of pop culture's greatest phenomenon presented numerous benefits. "I spent more time with George than we were able to on the original show, which was absolutely wonderful for me. Meeting with him every few weeks to review the sequences, help us tune up the show, and learn from his experience was priceless. It was like taking a master class from George Lucas."

Musical history was made when the Imagineers worked with Academy AwardŽ-winning composer John Williams, who wrote the original Star Wars film scores. "John and his music editor found passages from the scores to use in our show. The cabin music is taken from the original recordings!" Composer Michael Giacchino lent his Academy Award-winning talent to create additional arrangements of various Star Wars themes for the commercials and pre-show videos.

With so much to see and hear, Disney and Star Wars fans alike will be thrilled to discover all the little homages hidden throughout the show. Tom says, "We packed as much of the films as we could into the new show. It's really a salute to the best of Star Wars, so whether you're a fan of the original or the newer trilogy, there's something for everyone."

Mark your calendars and check out Star Tours – The Adventures Continue when it opens May 20 at Disney's Hollywood Studios Theme Park and Disneyland Resort on June 3!
The main things being that James Earl Jones and Frank Oz are confirmed as voicing their characters. John Williams also helped to select passages of music, with new arrangements by Michael Giacchino, who's composed for a few Pixar films (and those dirty damn Star Trek and Speed Racer movies :p ). They also mention Jar Jar, so hopefully Ahmed Best is involved and we won't have to have BJ Hughes ruin anyone's Disneyland trip. :D

Maradona
05-11-2011, 11:53 PM
I will be there on June 16 to chaperone this year's grad night. I've already instructed the students to physically remove me from the park if necessary.

This site has pictures of the improved gift shop:

http://www.endorexpress.net/2011/05/may-9th-disneyland-update/

El Chuxter
05-12-2011, 01:42 AM
Even if you don't like Speed Racer, you've gotta admit the score is quite good. Giacchino demonstrated he's quite good at using someone else's themes and adding to them in a respectful manner. His original work also is excellent, and shows a wide range (compare Ratatouille to The Incredibles, for instance).

All things considered, if Williams isn't doing it himself, Giacchino's probably the best man for the job (maybe tied with John Ottman, who I don't think has nearly as extensive a resume but did an amazing job with Superman Returns).

figrin bran
05-21-2011, 07:01 PM
I'm at Disneyland, in line for the soft opening as we speak. I've already ridden it twice today and it's awesome. The podracing scene is quite fun, actually. More thoughts at a later time.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-22-2011, 10:37 AM
I hoping to make it there once school gets out (but maybe before ALL schools' schedules have the kids out; our district is one of the early starters and therefore early leavers), plus also waiting to see if there's a good 3-day Park Hopper deal (so far, Costco's 4-day PH with gift card seems best... but it's also $200 :eek: :greedy: ).

figrin bran
05-31-2011, 11:52 AM
Be sure to bring extra money as the two Star Tours figure sets - Ambush w. Fett, Vader and 2 Sky Troopers plus the Droids set are out on store shelves at the park.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-31-2011, 01:45 PM
Be sure to bring extra money as the two Star Tours figure sets - ...... because they're all with non-repacked figures of excellent quality?

I want posters/postcards or shirts/hats or pins/buttons with Star Tours stuff/logos, more than figures/toys. Are there any of those such items there?

figrin bran
06-08-2011, 01:06 AM
... because they're all with non-repacked figures of excellent quality?

I want posters/postcards or shirts/hats or pins/buttons with Star Tours stuff/logos, more than figures/toys. Are there any of those such items there?

I didn't notice any posters but plenty of all the other items you want.

As for the ride itself, it's simply awesome! In previous years, there were times I could have gotten onto Star Tours with a mere 5 minute wait. Well those days are long gone.

The Vader opening and the Geonosis/Death Star/Fett encounter are my favorite possible segments of the ride.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-10-2011, 12:17 PM
Awesome ride! :thumbsup: I went with a friend who has an annual pass, which gives guests some cool perks. We went straight to ST upon entering (around 9:50am) to get a Fast Pass (to return between 6-7pm ?!? :confused: ), we were in line about 65-70 minutes. While leaving Space Mountain later in the day, we got a Ride Switch from an employee which gets you right to the front, not just into the Fast Pass entrance; right after that one, we went back to the FP line to ride for out third and last time of the day. We got three different planets to start (Hoth, Tatooine, Kashyyyk), and two of the three "second" planets (Coruscant twice, Geonosis). Some good look-in-the-background jokes. I didn't feel the 3-D made a big difference, but the quality of the screen is crisp and nice.

I used a Disney gift card from the 4-day Park Hopper pass I got to buy a cool ST shirt (4 planets in poster-like images), a ST pin (Vader, jet pack trooper), and a ST postcards pack. No posters anywhere. :( I look forward to being able to return soon. :D

Bel-Cam Jos
06-14-2011, 11:16 AM
I didn't notice any posters but plenty of all the other items you want.A check of online auctions shows that DW had four posters (similar to the t-shirt with Endor, Naboo, Hoth, and Bespin) given to the press, but I saw virtually no posters of any kind in DL.

JediTricks
06-14-2011, 03:28 PM
Yeah, I forgot about that, but I was looking for posters to compliment the original Star Tours posters I had as a kid, and there were none! That's weird. What an odd thing to leave out. I would definitely have put one up if it was good, but nada. I wonder why that got left out.

I am hoping to go back later this week, I am definitely going back next week, but I want to get a few rides in this week first.

I definitely prefer the Stormtrooper opening, I think the Vader one is cheesy with too much "hey look main character!!!!121"

Bel-Cam Jos
06-15-2011, 09:34 AM
I'll be there for SW Day (Sun. 6/26), so I expect that the lines for ST should be much, much shorter then... you know, because the "newness" will have worn off...

There were some "posters" for planets (Bespin? Hoth? Naboo?) on the walls when you exit the ride, but they were maybe 6' long and 2' high (more of a horizontal banner in a frame); but not as artwork (a la McQuarrie), more of a screen shot from a film with a tagline like "Visit Regal Naboo" or something.

figrin bran
06-22-2011, 01:53 AM
The Vader opening is way better, JT! :p

The only thing I've not experienced yet is Kashyyk. And I've not gotten the Leia holo transmission yet.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-22-2011, 11:52 AM

The only thing I've not experienced yet is Kashyyk. And I've not gotten the Leia holo transmission yet.Every hologram I got was Yoda, to the point that I thought that wasn't an option that'd change.

JediTricks
06-22-2011, 10:50 PM

The only thing I've not experienced yet is Kashyyk. And I've not gotten the Leia holo transmission yet.You're crazy, that Vader opening is so incredibly over the top cheesy, with the big main character pointlessly swinging you around on his goofy holo platform, and then you just back away shooting, what's that?

I guess I've gotten all your Kashyyyks then, all 3 visits so far have had "the Wookiee planet!" I got the Leia transmission last visit, and it's alright, I think it's actual footage from ANH digitally altered to match the new words. It's good.

Tomorrow, barring my cold getting any worse, I'll be riding Star Tours again with my mom for her birthday. Hopefully we can avoid any repeats. I'm still quite annoyed that they hustle us through the second room, there's plenty of dialogue from both the droids in there which I want to hear. They actually hold the first room's line back just to speed you through the second room, it's daft.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-23-2011, 11:53 PM
I had a dream the other day that involved going to Star Tours, but the queue was styled like a suburban house and went up the stairs to an old-timey movie theater-type room. We had to wear 3-D glasses, but the screen played 50s-styled sci-fi cartoons. When I actually get to go to the real deal, I hope it's a little bit better. :p

For those of you who have ridden it, though, how does the 3-D work with all the chair/ship movement? Is it jarring or headache-inducing at all, or pretty seamless? Also, have you noticed a difference in how the motion is used? Evidently, they were previously only utilizing 20% of the flight simulator's range of motion and have now greatly increased that, so I'm interested to know how this one compares.

JediTricks
06-27-2011, 03:41 PM
For those of you who have ridden it, though, how does the 3-D work with all the chair/ship movement? Is it jarring or headache-inducing at all, or pretty seamless? Also, have you noticed a difference in how the motion is used? Evidently, they were previously only utilizing 20% of the flight simulator's range of motion and have now greatly increased that, so I'm interested to know how this one compares.It's not jarring, but it has a flaw I don't think they've considered (or is possibly the reason for slightly color-shifting the glasses), when you're moving around and your head isn't straight, the 3D effect is ruined. The polarization only works when you're looking at it straight, when you tilt your head the polarization of the light changes and it falls apart. It's generally only a momentary issue when it happens, you'll notice a color and shape that shouldn't be there in motion but as your head is moving around it'll return to vertical quickly and then it'll be clean again.

As for the motion, I have ridden 3 times (didn't end up riding on Thursday thanks to the line insanity) and it's not that noticeable an increase except at the back, where I hit my head several times - the back row really should be redesigned, since the beginning there's been no headrest except the back wall itself, and it's a taller area so feet dangle, and they shoehorned an extra seat that's jammed against the door. But I would say the motion isn't perceptibly greater except for response time, jarring from left to right or up to down.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-27-2011, 04:18 PM
(didn't end up riding on Thursday thanks to the line insanity)Yeah, there weren't any more Fast Passes left once I got there yesterday, and the "fastest" the line was showed as 90 minutes (then the sign moved to 95 as we looked at it), so we passed on it.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-14-2011, 02:40 PM
Wow, the only days that the lines have cooperated on days I've been in the park, I've been a rider three times. :D Other days? Zilch. Yesterday, I finally saw the Leia and Ackbar holograms. Went to Tatooine all three times (spoiler: we won the pod race! ;) ), then Geonosis/Death Star twice and Coruscant.

El Chuxter
08-14-2011, 03:00 PM
How many different possibilities are there?

Even with an annual pass, it could take a while to get them all, with the ridiculous lines the ride is generating. I got to ride it once, and it took me twenty minutes to get a FastPass. No joke, I was watching the "FastPass Return" clock counting up in five minute increments every twenty seconds because so many people were getting FastPasses. It was just my daughter and me, and I didn't waste time feeding our passes to the machine, but we still wound up with different times on our passes! :eek:

Bel-Cam Jos
08-14-2011, 07:48 PM
How many different possibilities are there?

Even with an annual pass, it could take a while to get them all, with the ridiculous lines the ride is generating. I got to ride it once, and it took me twenty minutes to get a FastPass. No joke, I was watching the "FastPass Return" clock counting up in five minute increments every twenty seconds because so many people were getting FastPasses. It was just my daughter and me, and I didn't waste time feeding our passes to the machine, but we still wound up with different times on our passes! :eek:Supposedly, since there are 6 planets, and 9 "changes," it makes 54 possibilities. What I've noticed:
Planets:
- Coruscant, Geonosis, Hoth, Tatooine, Naboo, Kashyyyk
Openings at the Star Tours hanger:
- Vader uses the Force, Stormtroopers stop, Droid scans for the spy
Holograms:
- Ackbar, Leia, Yoda
Activities:
- pod racing, avoid Boba, escape DS tube, wrong way Coruscant tunnel, flying around Hoth, flying around Kashyyk, whatever you do on Naboo (never seen that one, IIRC)

I'm sure there are several more, that I cannot remember now. And yesterday, the FP lines weren't too long, for a change.

JediTricks
08-15-2011, 03:22 PM
Naboo, you dive into the sea past Otoh Gunga, through the "planet core" before escaping the sea life and landing at Theed hangar.