PDA

View Full Version : Pronunciating "Amanaman"

Deoxyribonucleic
02-25-2002, 01:21 PM
Ok, how does everyone pronunciate Amanaman?

1. Do all the "a's" sound like "man"?

2. Does the first "A" sound like the "a" in "boba fett" and the rest of the "a's" like man?

3. Do all the "a's" sound like the "a" in "boba fett"?

4. Does the first "a" sound like the "a" in "bobafett" and the rest of the "a's" like the "an" in "Obi-wan"?

5. Is there a pronunciation I am missing?

I personally pronunciate it like option 4, it sounds much smoother to me.

Does anybody know the "official" pronunciation?

Beast
02-25-2002, 01:33 PM
According to one of the best Star Wars charecter Encyclopedia's on the net http://web.qx.net/red6 , the pronunciation is: Amanaman (Ah-man-ah-man).

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JetsAndHeels
02-25-2002, 01:57 PM
Also, for anyone from North Carolina, it is pronounced:
UH-Mann-uhh-mann.

Mandalorian Candidat
02-25-2002, 04:01 PM
I pronounce it "squished green bananapeel man."

2-1B
02-25-2002, 04:09 PM
That's funny Jango96, based on the couple of trips I've made to N.C. :)

I guess I always said it as option 2, but option 4 sounds better to me. I think I will change to that one.

mabudonicus
02-25-2002, 04:18 PM
I agree with you on yer #4, DN.
If ya wanna pronounce it like gl, though, you have to say "that papier -mache thing with the staff".
Question- how the heck do you pronounce "amanin"? That's been bugging me since I read his bio...that and the rest of it, that is..

LTBasker
02-25-2002, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by mabudon
how the heck do you pronounce "amanin"? That's been bugging me since I read his bio...that and the rest of it, that is..

I pronounce Amanaman like the 'correct' way: "Ah-man-ah-man" and so I pronounce Aminin like: "Ah-min-nin" I use the first n twice, it sounds more like Amanaman. :D

Deoxyribonucleic
02-26-2002, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by mabudon
If ya wanna pronounce it like gl, though, you have to say "that papier -mache thing with the staff".

ROFL...that's GREAT! :D :D :D :D :D

JediTricks
02-26-2002, 01:39 AM
Since this name comes from the ROTJ crew's nickname for the character, and they were just saying "a man! a man!", that should probably be how it sounds.

Beast
02-26-2002, 01:55 AM
This information comes from the following site, and I thought you guys would love giving it a read, since we are talking about Amanaman anyway. http://www.theforce.net/swtc/amanin.html contains this information, as well as information about the Amanin homeworld. :D

Anatomy

Body Form :
The Amanin body form is that of a platyhelmith. Amanamen are sentient planarians. As such it can be expected that their skin will be moist and sensitive to drying. Amanin must shelter in wet and dark places. We can also assume that they will have a ready ability to regenerate lost limbs and organs. They may even be capable of being cut in half without being killed, regrowing as two new individuals.

Brain:
The Amanin brain is distributed throughout the body, consistent with planarian biology. Galaxy Guide 12 agrees with this conclusion. It may be possible for simple aptitudes or aversions to be transmitted between individuals if there is a sufficient exchange of body material. Amanin (as planarians) may be capable of learning by proxy, and cannibalism would be an important and advantageous part of the species' lifestyle. Mutual cannibalism may be a cultural norm. Devouring exchanged tissues would allow amanin to share learning and perhaps even memories.

Mouth:
It is likely that the mouth is the only openning to the digestive cavity. Unlike the undigested materials excreted by mammals, an amanaman will eject its wastes through the mouth. This process is likely to be an unsettling sight for insensitive non-amanin witnesses. Reproductive organs are also likely to be situated in the mouth cavity, ensuring that male and female Amanin are externally indistinguishable (or else fully hermaphroditic).

Skin:
Amanin skin is wrinkly and moist. As a planarian species, their skin probably maintains its consistency through the secretion of a slime, which may additionally be toxic to other animals. (The bright colouration of the creature's face and belly might be a biological warning that Amanin are dangerous to eat or touch.) As long as the skin remains moist, the entire surface is chemosensitive, allowing an Amanin to smell through its whole body and taste whatever it touches. Minor body wastes may also be exuded through the slime coating.

Camouflage:
The striped camouflage pattern along the rim of the body indicates that the amanin have cause to fear at least one natural predator, and/or it is important for an amani hunter to hide from his own prey. The pattern and general colouration of the amanamen suggests that the foliage typical of the Maridun jungles must have fronds or leaves of this general shape, with olive greens and perhaps yellow hues dominating. (Unless the yellow is simply a warning colour, associated with the poisonous skin secretions.)

Eyes:
The deep red of the bulbous red eyes is a distinctive feature deserving explanation. There are two possibilities. The first is that the red is a pigment at the surface of the eye or in the medium of the eye, and amanin vision is insensitive to red light. Their sight would cover higher ranges of the spectrum: from yellow to violet and perhaps onwards into the ultraviolet. The other possibility is that the eye colour is due to selective reflectivity of a tapetum layer at the back of the eye. This lining is present in animals living in dark or nocturnal conditions; It reflects incoming light back through the vision cells so that the photosensitive tissues are doubly exposed to light. A red tapetum would imply that red bands are the most desired parts of the spectrum, and amanin would have particularly strong vision in red light. Whichever is the case, the eye colouration indicates something distinctive about the ambient light of the planet Maridun. If that information could be settled, we would implicitly know something about the characteristics of Maridun's sun.

Gills:
The gills appear most distinct on the Kenner action figure, so it is possible that they are only an exagerration of a more ordinary feature. They are not seen clearly in any of the photographs obtained to date, so they might really be no more than a particularly wrinkled area. If they are functional gills then they hint that there is a great amount of moisture on Maridun and that amani have some ability to survive under water.

Limbs:
The long strong arms of an amani and the relative shortness of its legs suggest that the primary means of locomotion is climbing and swinging from branches. The legs are as long as those of an adolescent human, and therfore should be able to sustain a waddling gait, probably combined with a loping action by the arms. This suggests that amanin naturally abide in thick jungle.

Hands:
The enormous hands are roughly half a metre long. This great size makes them valuable as tactile devices (thanks to the chemosensitivity of the skin) as well as being dextrous and strong manipulatory appendages. The three fingers and one thumb on each hand are very long and each sport large sharp claws, indicating that the amanin are ferocious carnivores. The hands and arms seem well-suited to grasping and snaring vigorously struggling prey. It is likely that the ecological role of the amanin is that of an ambush predator, with a habit of hiding, pouncing and wrestling rather than an open, chasing hunt. The size of the hands may also be supportive/indicative of an arboreal lifestyle.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

mabudonicus
02-26-2002, 03:43 PM
THREAD CLOSED, eh? Wow!! Nice work Jar Jar, shoot!! I really can't believe the detail in that one, the only thing left out(that would be fun to know) is what the darn things SMELL and TASTE like. Since they're cannibals, would it be wrong if other species consumed them? Is eating cannibals cannibalism? Man, now I won't be able to SLEEP tonight!!

JetsAndHeels
02-26-2002, 03:50 PM
I just call him Bubba.

Lord Tenebrous
02-26-2002, 06:06 PM
While his body does resembles a member of the phylum Platyhelminthes, it doesn't explain his limbs. I would rather him have remained parasitic, perhaps having appendages that could attach to large prey.

Or smaller prey, because by evolutionary standards, a creature like this would never grow to six feet, unless it wasn't carnivorous, and spent its life in a swamp.

Where's that nerd icon? :rolleyes: